Posted at 2:48 PM ET, 02/24/2011

Caps still silent as trade deadline approaches

By Lindsay Applebaum

There's been plenty of trade activity today among Eastern Conference teams, but the Capitals have yet to make a move.

Here's a rundown of some of the trades that have gone down today:

--The ailing Penguins are bringing back forward Alex Kovalev, acquiring the 38-year-old Russian from Ottawa in exchange for a seventh-round, conditional draft pick. Pittsburgh is also reportedly still looking to pick up a defenseman.

--Tampa Bay and Anaheim swapped backup goalies, with the Lightning sending Dan Ellis to the Ducks in exchange for Curtis McElhinney in a cap space-saving move.

--Atlanta sent defenseman Brent Sopel and forward Nigel Dawes to Montreal in exchange for forward Ben Maxwell and this year's fourth-round pick, reports ESPN's Pierre Lebrun.

Meanwhile, George Richards of the Miami Herald reports that the Panthers could have something in the works today, but no word on which teams or players would be involved.

Are you getting anxious for the Capitals to make a move, or do you prefer General Manager George McPhee waits until closer to the Feb. 28 deadline?

Stay tuned for updates as we get them.

By Lindsay Applebaum  | February 24, 2011; 2:48 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps prospect Dmitri Orlov impresses fellow defensemen at practice
Next: Caps soaking up time at home before another long road trip

Comments

He will not stand pat.
He will make something happen on deadline day.
It may not come out until the deadline has passed.

book it

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 24, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

The activity this year feels early to me -- I know GM likes to wait to see where the chips fall, but this year that strategy could leave us missing out. That Florida trade, though -- that could be us right there...

Posted by: nicko | February 24, 2011 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Boy has Atlanta fell off the map. They're busy with trades, but not in a good way.

Caps looking at a two way C?

Also,what's David Booth's contract look like in Florida, I'd love to get him.

I'd still look to the Blues for McDonald or Boyes.

Posted by: digster1013 | February 24, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The thing that makes me a bit anxious is that I'm seeing players that I think would help the Caps (e.g. Mike Fischer) going to other teams for resources that would not negatively impact the Caps future.

I'm not really concerned. There's still time.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | February 24, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

How would you feel about Marty Reasoner or Antropov??? Because I am getting the disgusting feeling that we will end up with one of them and I think they both stink and I would rather have Matty P keep playing and you know how much I dont like him.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
I don't think either of those will be here. Think bigger. Go west young lad! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

West huh?!

hmmmmmmm....Brad Richards ;)

Posted by: digster1013 | February 24, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

I know and I hope that happens but the longer this goes on, I have a bad feeling.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Still hoping to trade Semin for Iginla

Posted by: griz0615 | February 24, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Neither ThePat or pokerface responded to my Statsny or Koivu for Semin post so my pipe dream may be what is actually occuring!!!

Ok guys, don't burst my bubble now!

Posted by: PhilR | February 24, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

West coast huh??? The tea leaves I am reading say we will trade for a red headed LW and bottle of blood thinners? =)

I kid I kid (too soon?)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | February 24, 2011 3:16 PM | Report abuse

i wouldnt take a healthy brad richards.

not for what it would take to get him.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@jwash4472. Noted. The only reason I put his name was to cite the source. Not sure why he is hated, I never felt one way or another about him. However, on the point of his quote about the B's raising ticket prices, that was a fact and it shouldn't matter the source on a fact. The comment after about fans and money was a response to some who posted on here the last few days about the Caps season ticket prices going up. Thank you for the kind words though.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 24, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

He will not stand pat.
He will make something happen on deadline day.
-----------

like Corvo you mean? last minute krap move?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

He will not stand pat.
He will make something happen on deadline day.
It may not come out until the deadline has passed.

book it

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 24, 2011 2:55 PM |

And whatever he does won't be good enough, for this season or beyond.

Book it.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 24, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I tried a new strategy today: don't check CI all morning and part of the afternoon, then when I finally check in, I would see the big Caps move had happened! It would be so great, I would run through the neighborhood shouting praises to GMGM! But as Yukon Cornelius said as he tossed his pick into the snow, looking yet again for silver or gold: "aaahhh...Nothing!"

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 24, 2011 3:22 PM | Report abuse

We will sign some rental for draft picks and the line will be "we like our guys, we like our mix, we didn't want to tinker too much".

After the first round exit, the line will be "hot goalie / injuries / power play wasn't clicking / can't explain it".

Posted by: Jaymagz | February 24, 2011 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Never too early to pre-complain.

Posted by: _Mark | February 24, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

GMGM sux! thats it,thats all,thats all u need to know! Caps will get crap if any at all and STILL,GMGM gets to keep his worthless job,well i mean he's worthless.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | February 24, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Whoever he gets, it will be the player(s) he targeted.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 24, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Never too early to pre-complain.

Posted by: _Mark

I don't think its too early. Its not like McPhee has a history of making great trades or the right moves at the right time. He's proven himself to be a bottomfeeding junk scrap dealer. So he really hasn't bought himself the benefit of any doubt.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Whoever he gets, it will be the player(s) he targeted.

Posted by: tominsocal1

now you're catching on.

If he doesn't make any deals, its also by design. Who said you can have it both ways.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I guess I am Pollyanna to your Glum. I prefer the often inexplicably happy outlook to the doom and gloom of "it'll never work...we're doomed".

It is what it is. I am hopeful that GMGM will pull the trigger on the trade(s) that puts us in better shape to contend. There is stil time.

Posted by: _Mark | February 24, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

TICK TOCK....Waiting for a caps trade
is an exampple of masochism at its finest

Posted by: DBnMD | February 24, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse

One would have to think the Caps are contemplating a deal for a fairly significant piece or why wait until the end to acquire a #5 defenseman or third line forward?

It would make more sense to integrate these players into the lineup as quickly as possible so they can build chemistry with 20 games left.

If the Caps come away with nothing this year I think that is an indictment of the GM.

The team that George brought back from last year only added rookies in the offseason in Neuvirth, Carlson, Alzner and Johansson.

Hannan was acquired later on during the season.

While Carlson and Alzner have definitely contributed premium minutes for the Caps, it is clear that Marcus Johansson and Neuvirth are still feeling their way in the NHL and may not be ready for a primary role on a team hoping to contend in the postseason.

Posted by: RoyHobbs4 | February 24, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

McPhee has managed this team onto the precipice- we can't afford the players we need, can't win with the players we have- and it's suddenly looking like we'll be next year's Ottawa Senators.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that there are two parties to a trade, and the other one is not GMGM.

Posted by: seth_malaguerra | February 24, 2011 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@Tom - I understand these statements have been highly critisized and to an EXTENT I understand you point of view.

Lets play pretend for a second. Lets say that you knew that statement to be incorrect. What if you knew that Corvo was the backup plan and the primary fell apart at the very last second so he had to call CAR quick just to get some depth for what was going to be a long playoff run. What if Corvo was like plan C or D and only went there just to get another body in here in the event sombebody was hurt. So you knew that what GMGM said about the player was wrong but probably said it to make the new player feel welcome and not like plan "C" or "D".

Talk to me brotha! What then?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

And you and GMGM need to keep in mind that nobody is gonna take our garbage for their valuables.

you gotta give up something to get something.

Posted by: joek443 | February 24, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

To anyone saying GMGM sucks. He does not and here's why. He made the trades for our cup run in 98' Gave up nothing on the experiment we call Jagr. Then blows up the team and rebuilds it to what we know and love today.
He drafts very well & still is getting Carlson, Varly, Kuzy, & Mojo at the end of the first round. The right thing to say about GMGM is that he wont make that next step and actually giving up something. He doesn't want to deal any of the kids. Teams are most likely asking for Kuzy or Dima. He loves the youth we have and does not want to move them. We will see how this all plays out.

Posted by: ovie0812 | February 24, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

McDummy will make no moves

Posted by: doughless | February 24, 2011 5:10 PM | Report abuse

There's a reason why the Caps are quiet, nothing is going to happen. There are no quality players available for the price the Caps want to pay. GMGM & BB are going to ride the current team into the playoffs and then roll the dice. Both like the youth on the team and what's in the pipeline.

The team does not react well with personnel changes, reference Clark/Jurcina trade and last year’s trade deadline acquisitions. It's too late so time to place your bets.

Posted by: ttenner | February 24, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Caps looking at a two way C?

Also,what's David Booth's contract look like in Florida, I'd love to get him.

I'd still look to the Blues for McDonald or Boyes.

Posted by: digster1013 |

Davis Booth is 4.500 for the next 3 years. Also, a left wing. Although Ovie is a righty shot playing LW. So take that for what it's worth.

Posted by: j3rockstar | February 24, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

*David Booth. Sorry, GMGM wouldn't be able to swing a deal to get DAVIS Booth here. :(

Posted by: j3rockstar | February 24, 2011 5:14 PM | Report abuse

@RoyHobbs4

"...and Neuvirth are still feeling their way in the NHL and may not be ready for a primary role on a team hoping to contend in the postseason."

If Neuvirth is still feeling his way in the NHL with back to back shutouts of the Pens, I take it. Come on man, his play has been getting better with each game played. He managed his rebounds perfectly in his last start, a game in which the Caps were outshot again!

Posted by: ttenner | February 24, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

For the all nay-sayers, I'm glad you guys aren't the medical personnel meeting people coming in through the emergency room doors because you guys would be marking DOA on people coming in with bruises or cuts.

Any chance you guys want to share with us who we're playing against in the first round and the score we're going to lose at? It seems you guys already know this before the games have even been played.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 24, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

That rumbling that they were talking about in Fla was Cory Stillman got traded to Carolina for an injured player and a pick...

Posted by: Jatchi8577 | February 24, 2011 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Why do championship aspiring teams, like the Penguins, have no trouble pulling off trades but the procrastinating GMGM is so afraid of his own shadow that he thinks there is 6 more weeks of winter? Pitiful and sad to watch really. Veteran centers and goalies are flying by in trades by other teams but GMGM is still hibernating and living off his fat from the current talent pool on the team. Eventually the fat runs out and the talent gets old and before you know it all the golden years are gone!

Posted by: JohnWWW | February 24, 2011 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Paging George McPhee, you awake?

Darren Dreger is saying that if Florida is gonna move Weiss then they'll want a center in return.

Doh!

Posted by: blanknerc | February 24, 2011 11:08 PM | Report abuse

@ovie0812

I agree with you. The picks we used on Backstrom, Varly and Carlson were all acquired through trades. Semin wasn't drafted by us, we acquired his rights in a trade with New Jersey. Feds was a great trade and one of the main reasons we ended up catching Carolina to steal the division that year. Knuble was a good pick up in Free Agency. We all agree, even GMGM, that we need an upgrade at 2C this year. There just isn't that many options.

Posted by: akmzrazor | February 25, 2011 8:29 AM | Report abuse

my name is doggydodo and that means i'm full of sheits . Caps are looking at someone and this may go down this weekend . And I ask who will not play tonite . Thats the question and your answer. But I will say " ding dong semems gone "

Bye Bye !

Posted by: doggydodo | February 25, 2011 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Get of Mcphee's back, he is a good GM. All the people complaining that he sucks, is probably a bandwagon fan. That bus left when Cerrato left town, get on that bus please- we dont need you.

Let GM do his work, they normally turn out beneficial. Please dont respond with a Corvo response, hence "normally". I feel dumber after reading some ofd these posts Go Caps.

Posted by: scottiemac3 | February 25, 2011 8:56 AM | Report abuse

package Schultz and Semin together and be done with it. I doubt Richards is in the plans as Dallas is looking for at least 2 starters and 2 draft picks in return. Iginla is intriguing, I'd rather have Boyes.

Posted by: erico31us | February 25, 2011 9:24 AM | Report abuse

erico, where did you hear about the price for Richards? Yesterday I heard an interview with Neiwendyck and he said there was no set asking price because they are trying not to trade him, but are listening to offers. They will trade him only if they feel the team will be in a financial postition where they cannot resign him. And that price seems high for a potential rental with a concussion, even one of Richard's caliber.

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 25, 2011 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Why would your trade Semin for a second line center to play without Semin? Semin while mercurial can dominate a game (see Anaheim),and with a solid centerman, he should be productive in the playoffs. If you trade Semin, you'd better get a rental winger and a centerman in return. He has an extra year on his contract. I think the player they would have pulled a trigger to get would have been Richards, but that pesky concussion, may make that a dicey gamble. I would not play poker with McPhee.

Posted by: genericrepub | February 25, 2011 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Jason Arnott (C) of the Devils...despite the Devil's run, they won't make the playoffs. The Caps could get him for some future draft picks and cash.

Posted by: jat07 | February 25, 2011 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Semin should be traded. I've defended him for the past 2 seasons but this year I've had enough. He has 4 hat tricks thats 12 of his 21 goals in 4 games. He has missed 15 games due to injury. Which happens every year. He has 51 PIMS.(12 more than Ovi) Most of them lazy plays where he hooks, trips, slashes a player. He doesn't fit our new style of play. He's perfect for last year's Caps. I love Sasha to death but he's not worth 6.7 mill. Alot of reports are saying he is hard to move and I believe it's because of the above reasons I gave you. If we traded him though it would open an enormous amount of Cap space allow us to trade for a 2ndLW a 2ndLC and a another Dman. Though this most likely will not happen.

Posted by: ovie0812 | February 25, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse