Caps to face Predators, Blue Jackets in preseason

A few minor updates to pass along:

*The Caps will face the Predators twice in the preseason. Washington will travel to Bridgestone Arena for an 8 p.m. faceoff on Sept. 25, then host the Preds at Verizon Center on Oct. 3 at 12:30 p.m.

*The Caps are also scheduled to play a two-game preseason series against Columbus. Washington will faceoff Sept. 22 at 7 p.m. at Nationwide Arena, then host the Blue Jackets Oct. 1 at 7 p.m.

*Washington is expected to announce its full preseason schedule Monday, one day before the NHL's full regular season schedule is due to be released. But until then, expect more of the Caps' preseason schedule to trickle out as opponents announce their exhibition slates.

*Also, yesterday the league announced the official order of selection in next week's draft. The Caps' six picks are as follows: 26, 86, 116, 142 (from Phoenix for Sami Lepisto), 146, 176. Their second round pick was dealt to the Wild (for Eric Belanger) and seventh round pick was sent to Carolina (for Scott Walker), leaving GM George McPhee and his crew with their fewest picks since 2003.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 18, 2010; 9:52 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee on Karl Alzner: 'He's shown us enough'
Next: Shaone Morrisonn's agent: No negotiations with Caps

Comments

When do the playoffs start? Thats all we care about.

Posted by: SA-Town | June 18, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@SA-Town: Speak for yourself!

The Caps' six picks are as follows: 26, 86, 116, 142, 146, 176.

Should be interesting...

Posted by: irockthered | June 18, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

GO BEARS!!!!

Posted by: hersheybearfan | June 18, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

here are the moves, GMGM. go get them done now.

Dan Hamhuis
Colby Armstrong
Chris Mason
Derek Booegard

Posted by: doughless | June 18, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I hate Armstrong, but he's the type of player they need and would love to see him on the Caps. They could really use an agitator type with enough skill to play regular minutes and chip in some goals.

I do like Mason, but unless they deal either Varly or Neuvirth I don't see them bringing in another goalie for the NHL roster. Neuvirth has already won 2 Calder Cups, so not much left to prove at the AHL level. From a salary cap standpoint it makes sense to go with the kids in goal and use money elsewhere.

Posted by: chombie13 | June 18, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

we're not getting Armstrong because we're already stacked at forward (esp at RW) and a kid like Pinizotto could do for us what Armstrong can do. And with possibly AGordon AND Pinner making the team, along with Fehr and Knuble, no place for Armstrong.

And forget Boogaard for 2 reasons

1) McPhee will never admit he's wrong and he made a conscious decision to eliminate that role last year

2) There's a perception that Boogaard is painfully slow. When you look at the way he affected games last year with his hitting and the penalties he drew from other teams, its hard to make the argument that he's a lumbering oaf. He's one of the smartest tough guys in hockey. And he doesn't have to fight to create a positive effect. Most fighters now won't have anything to do with him anyway. He's intimidating just in the way that he hits people.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Hamhuis yes. The rest? I don't think so...

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Clarification: Hamhuis would be a viable "Plan B" if we don't acquire Volchenkov.

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

If we cut Mo, we're going to need TWO guys who can play a responsible hopefully hardhitting defensive game. Maybe one via FA, one via trade. Gotta shake up the chemistry on this team, something that bleeds playoff intensity. I never want to go thru another playoff season where I feel that the team didn't give a balls-out effort from the drop of the puck in game 1. I can live with a playoff loss knowing the GM built the right type of roster and the coach was able to get that roster to play with consistency.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

"I can live with a playoff loss knowing the GM built the right type of roster and the coach was able to get that roster to play with consistency."

cstanton: given that there is no lock that pinnizotto or A Gordon make the big team, my 4 suggestions do just that.

Posted by: doughless | June 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

I agree with a lot of the tweeks you suggest but you make it seem like ther is only one way to win a Stanley Cup. That just isn't true.

Remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

caps aren't going to pull the string on volchenkov unless they deal semin. you can get hamhuis for less.

Posted by: doughless | June 18, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: doughless | June 18, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

it is funny how McPhee never mentions AG or SP. He's all over Alzner like white on rice but its like he doesn't pay a lot of lip svc to guys who weren't highly touted. The Caps org (don't ask me how i know this) has in the past felt that AGordon was too slow.

to me, that speaks volumes about how quickly they are to dismiss a player's full package of attributes due to the fact he's not a speed demon. If you watch AG enough, he's always in the play and on top of a defenseman. His quickness and aggressiveness is the best of any Caps prospect I've seen since Ovechkin when it comes to forechecking. There should be no questions on whether he has NHL=level speed. He has GAME speed. That's what matters.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Pitt is going to throw at least 4m at Volchenkov, he's not worth that price. Hamhuis is bound for the West Coast, call it a gut feeling. GMGM will hit the 2nd tier at 2-3m on a 2-3yr deal for a top 4 D hoping young guys develop. Juice may also be back.

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Remember, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
----------------------------

to a point, yes.

But every team that wins the Cup has a certain mentality when it comes to defensive play. And they are able to ratchet up their intensity far past a regular season game. And they have a certain degree of grit. Recent Cup winners (even after the alleged "game has changed")
have been tenacious in finishing their checks - Ducks, Pens, even the Wings.

Our committment to finishing checks and battling in the trenches and raising that to a playoff-worthy level is in question. The org is all about offense. Its displayed in their comments, its displayed in the numerous shorthanded chances on our PPs, you can see it with Boudreau's choice of personnel on the PK. This team doesn't philosophically have the right balance. And I don't see that changing with a FA here or there.

McPhee himself said even after this recent playoff loss, we play a certain way and we think we can win that way. He thumbs his nose at some core elements that Cup teams have used since the inception of the league which has never changed. Its very Steve Spurrier-esque.

so when you tell me there's more than one way to skin a cat, i say , not in hockey. Or maybe only to a degree. The core elements must still exist.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Yes on Hamhuis, no on the others especially Boogaard. When it comes to skills (not fighting) he makes Brashear look like a 50 goal scorer.

Posted by: topshelf | June 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

all season long, i had to endure ridicule as a "hater" or as a fan stuck back in "goon hockey" or whatever stereotypes i got tagged with. Bottom line is, the Caps never appeared to me visibly as a team with enough of a battle-mentality. They won a lot of games in the reg season skating by on their talent. Compared to many other teams in the league (with worse records of course), the Caps effort and tenacity just didn't measure up. And hasn't for a while. Part of it is choice of personnel, the other part is organizational philosophy. It didn't surprise me that they lost in the 1st round. And I think no matter who they had faced with the possible exception of the Devils, they would've lost. We match up well with the Devils. And I'd include the Sabres in that mix but I think the Sabres played a better 1st round than I thought they would and I don't think in hindsight we would've beaten them either.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: topshelf | June 18, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

funny line, but untrue. Brashear has a hard time getting in on a forecheck. Boogaard is a very effective hitter in the offensive zone. Part of that is he knows where he has to be, and part of that must be that he's not as slow as his reputation suggests. His puck skills are weak of course, no argument there. But as a forechecker and effective intimidator, I wouldn't turn my nose up at him. Brashear is useless, Boogy is not.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

if its a fighter people are looking for, I would go after DJ king in st.louis.

I also think asham would be nice, but basically the same as brads (maybe a better fighter)

Posted by: _stevo | June 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

if you wanna see real BAD officiating, should have seen the match between the US and Slovenia... talk about a highway robbery

makes the NHL zebras look super competent.

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

cstanton: No disagreement that they lack toughness and some grit, but I think Boogaard is waste of time. I don't know how many times he fought last year, most guys don't challenge him anymore. However, I did see him fight once late in the season on the centre ice package, and he actually got bloodied whoever it was that he fought.
Not that he's a heavy weight, but he's too old now, but I always thought they could use a guy like Darcy Tucker

Posted by: topshelf | June 18, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Is Calgary a trade partner? They need O for Jarome but what is sent (Semin, Flash, pick) and brought back (Regehr, pick)?

These are parts, how would you see a trade going down to benefit both squads?

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

The mid-80's Oilers, the mid-90's Devils, and the recent Pens all had completely different styles. I'm sure you can find some similarities, there are similarities between every hockey team. But their styles were all completely different.

I have always hated hearing analysts after the game always describe how the winner won because they were "more tenacious" and they "wanted it more". Those are the worst cliches in sports. These comments will often be spewed after an extrememly close game or an OT game where if it went the other way that same analyst would be talking about the winners "great tenacity" and that they "wanted it more".

They are just cliches that are always attached to whoever wins no matter what actually occurs on the ice (or field or court).

I agree that finishing checks is important but I don't think the Caps are as bad as you make it sound. Remember, the Caps had more checks than the Hawks this year and the Blackhawks still did fine.

The Blackhawks D barely hit at all and used their mobility, size, awareness, positioning, and timely checks to dominate (even if you disagree with this, which I am sure you will, every hockey expert has written that this was the style of the Hawks D. So I am going with their opinion over yours).

Again, I do think the Caps need to make some changes. They need to get a top 2 shut down defenseman. I really don't care what his style and how he stops opposing players from scoring, I just want a top defenseman that can keep the other team from putting the puck in the net. I also think the Caps need a #2 center and I think a 2-way center is important. Because that center would be playing with Semin I think it is important he has some size and strength too. I also believe the Caps need a true checking line. By that I mean a shut down defensive line that will always face the opposing teams top line and can effectively stop other top players from scoring. Again, I could care less how they accomplish this (i.e. hitting, positioning, speed, a mix, etc.) just as long as they get it done.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Definitely agree on a 2nd line center and shut down/shot blocking type of defenseman. Also if they are keeping Flash and not trading him, please leave him on the wing, I thought he seemed lost sometimes playing center.

Posted by: topshelf | June 18, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

-----------------------

their grit level was never in question. The mid-80s Oilers were one of the grittiest teams in hockey. The mid-90 Devils WERE the grittiest team in hockey. And the recent Pens teams have been arguably in the top 5. They've led the league in hitting the past 3 seasons.

see the trend? you can talk trap v transition games all day long. That's not the element I'm referring to.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

These are parts, how would you see a trade going down to benefit both squads?

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

The Blackhwaks were 25th in hitting this season.

Again, I'm not saying hitting and physical play isn't important. It is. But, like I said earlier, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

---------------------

I posted a link a while back talking about how the Hawks are a team that can play any style. They had real wars with Vancouver and showed that despite having top shelf talent like Toews, Kane etc, the Hawks were a team that could easily play a rough and tumble style. They have been thru some playoff wars and are a battle-hardened team with a grittier roster than we have. I agree that there's not a ton of difference on PAPER between the Hawks and us, esp on D. But their forwards are grittier, (their checking lines are much grittier) and they have Seabrook who is a real defensive heart and soul leader. Combine that with the fact they don't play a risky run and gun game like we do and that's enough of a difference-maker. The Caps don't go drafting kids like Teaghan Zahn, Akim Aliu, Kyle Beach, Brouwer etc. There is definitely an organizational difference. They've drafted 3x more physical players in the top 3 rounds than we have over the past 6 yrs.

so, comparing us to the Hawks, you need to dig a bit deeper if you think they have the same level of grit that we do. Its just not the case. They have a more old-school mentality when it comes to how they approach playoff hockey. They don't get bullied, and they don't always turn the other cheek, and they frequently initiate confrontation. The Caps are more content to play between the whistles and "stay away from the nonsense". From my experience, most successful playoff teams don't stay away from the nonsense. They engage in enough of it to keep their edge.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 12:43 PM

HATER!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | June 18, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

it all starts with the coach, just look at Joel Quenneville... does he look like someone you wanna mess with??

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

wtf?

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

He does have a great mustache.

@cstanton1

The Blackhawks just had better defensemen. Not grittier, not meaner, they didn't hit more(they actually hit less). They were just better all-around players. That is why they won. (and remember how close they came to losing in the 1st round too, if Martin Erat doesn't make the mental blunder in game 5)

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

The Blackhwaks were 25th in hitting this season.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

but they know how to ramp their game up to a playoff level when they're in a tough physical series. How many big strong forwards do we have who consistently can wear down a defense with a forecheck compared to them? Line up our forwards v Buff, Ladd, Brouwer, Eager. Even guys like Kopecky, Sharp, Versteeg and Hossa were playing a chippy physical game in the playoffs. Then you throw in their 4th line centers Burish/Fraser, and that's exactly how all those 80s and 90s teams used to look like on their checking lines. Abrasive ornery 4th line center, and at least 4 bruising forwards on their bottom two lines.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hjarmalsson would look pretty good in Caps uniform.

Posted by: topshelf | June 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I think BB needs to grow a Quenvillesque mustache. That would look great with his bald head. Teams would be so distracted starring at BB they wouldn't stand a chance.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Hossa is not overly physical or chippy. He is just an outstanding defensive forward with great awareness, positioning, speed, stick working, and he places himself between the offensive player and the puck wonderfully.

If he was on the Caps this year (and they lost in 7 games) you would be saying how he is not the type of player the Caps need.

cstanton1, you are a grass is always greener on the other side type of guy.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Also remember that the Caps probably have the most physical and destructive forward in the league. Ovie.

He weighs only about 15 or 20 lbs. less than Buff but Ovie is rock and he hits anything and everything. I'd rather get hit by Buff than Ovie. When you count a teams ability to hit you have to count Ovie too. He is a part of the team. You can't ignore him when talking about the Caps physical play.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

at least 4 bruising forwards on their bottom two lines.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 1:23 PM

The Caps, OTOH, seem to consider the 3rd line to be the players who don't score quite as well as the 2nd line. I have said this a million times, but we need a "real" 3rd line that checks and bullies. A Clutterbuck type, a Kelly Miller type and maybe a Kono type or at least Belanger, he's decent enough for that role.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Caps should really keep Belanger. I mean, look at how much the team invested in his dental work.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

So we need tougher and grittier players with staches?

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I agree. As I said earlier:

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Exactly flee, exactly.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Say no more sgm3, this is our pic perfect free agent, http://media.photobucket.com/image/rod%20langway/bergmanrocks/011.jpg

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

not the Clutterbuck pipe dream trade again sgm3, really? LOL

OT: I'm still laughing at all the Chicago fans on HFBoards that think they won't lose too many valueable pieces in the off-season to get under the cap... lol.. and they thing that if Sharp or Buff or Versteeg is traded that they are getting full value... ROFLMAO... they will get good value but not what they should since they are forced to deal players...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 18, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 1:34 PM

...If Belanger is being offered stylistic options for his dental reconstruction, I vote for FANGS...

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

every Cup winning team will lose its share of players in the following season... that's just a price you have to pay in the salary cap era.

the Pens had to let go of Scuderi and Gill at the end of last year and they still haven't been able to replace them.

but you know what? at least they and the hawks got something to show to their fans, didn't they?? so it's kinda funny hearing some of you laughing at all the trouble the hawks got themselves into while the rest of the league laughs at yet another historic collapse of the Caps in the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | June 18, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

@flee01

That is just magnificent. Pure awesomenss.

@joek443

In hindsight, yes, we all would take a Cup. But it was a very risky move by the Blackhawks because they weren't guaranteed to win the Cup. If Martin Erat doesn't make that serious blunder they may not even had made it past the 1st round. It ended up working, good for them. But I don't think it would be worth the risk (i.e. increasing your chances of winning from say 20% to 30% and risk gutting your team for a few years).

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

I would definitely want Belanger back if he got fangs.

How about fangs AND a killer stache. That would make the best hockey player ever.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

joek, agreed 100%. I would be thrilled if the Caps had the cup and had to deal with losing 2-3 young contributors. Players come and go, Cups' are forever.

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Best FA signing would be Ogie Oglethorpe.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

So we need tougher and grittier players with staches?

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 1:35 PM

I don't think any 'stache, ever, could beat this one:

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

So we need tougher and grittier players with staches?

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 1:35 PM

I don't think any 'stache, ever, could beat this one:

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Belanger with fans and Rock the Red ... it would be a season of Twilight themes with Ovie as the scruffy wolf man ... damn, did I give away too much of my Twilight knowledge

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

That is a great stache. We need to acquire a player with that stache and fangs.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

with fangs, fangs dangit, not fans

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

So it's settled. We need a gritty, stash sporting, fang having UFA D and UFA 2C. That's not too specific, money, so money.

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@sgm

I bet Martin re-signs. They definetely don't want to bring Mottau back...or at least they shouldn't.

@joek443

Broken record, dude. You've been saying the same thing for the past week.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

SOOKIE!!!!!

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

____________________________

Bruce had very nice things to say about Pinner.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

but I always thought they could use a guy like Darcy Tucker

Posted by: topshelf | June 18, 2010 12:52 PM |

Oh god... I hope you mean Tucker 8 years ago.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

This UFA player may also be a good acquisition...if it's grit you're looking for..

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

These are parts, how would you see a trade going down to benefit both squads?

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 12:53 PM |

Calgary needs to dump salary, and the price you throw out there is wayyy over-priced for just Regehr.

Bring Regehr and Sarich in, and it works a bit better for both sides. Still, if the get Semin at 6 mil and sign Flash, the salary is about the same. Don't know why Calgary would make a move without dumping salary, but then again, we're talking about Sutter here.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

I bet he has plenty fo grit. Sign him up!

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

RE; Grier to Chimera

Did you watch Grier play this past playoffs? He was about the only Sabre doing anything, besides Miller.
33 hits in 6 GPs..I'd definetely say he still has his edge.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

GMGM also doesn't mention CB (Chris Bourque)... which is telling and has no point at the same time... since it's GMGM that said it... LOL

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 18, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

its P h i L o S o P h i C a l maaaaan

They wanted 3 "scoring" lines. Well, that detracts from their overall grit. Esp when you throw in a BGordo type. Now you're left with nothing but BleederBrads as your token grinder.

lets face it, McPhee/BB won't change. They have a vampirical thirst for offensive statistics. Even if they did start next season with a different look on their bottom two lines, they'd revert in a cats meow back to having a skill-heavy lineup if we were off our goal-pace from this past season. Our org will view any dropoff in goal production as a huge minus. Ignoring of course, the BIG picture.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

33 hits in 6 GPs..I'd definetely say he still has his edge.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Grier's a spotpicker. Always has been. He checks jersey #s before he hits them. I can predict down to about a 90% degree of certainty which players Grier will finish his checks on and which guys he skates away from. I've been watching MG from back when George Michael ran a special on him on his Sports Machine. He was pegged as this Ovechkin type of player - big bruising unrelenting talent. Time has shown his talent to be a bit overhyped, esp his puck skills. But his mental toughness I think is more in doubt. I've never considered Grier to have the same kind of mental toughness that kids like Gary Roberts or Adam Deadmarsh etc had.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

The playoffs be the garlic to the Vampire machine BB and GMGM have built

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

sgm, lets cut this down to brass tacks

are you making a case that the Caps and Hawks have an equivalent grit level ?

what bout us v the Pens?

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Caps have no fangs while the Pens won with Twilight fangs and Hawks won with Diary of fangs.

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

hey rhino, even before i clicked that link i knew who it was....and you're right. Lanny's fireenginered stash was one for the books.

Mel Bridgman had a nice one too.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

its no Lanny and this pic doesn't quite do it justice but Mel had quite a thick black stash. And he always had a pi__ed-off look on his face.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

caps like to gum ya

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 18, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Worf has more grit than any of them. If the Caps sign him they will be impossible to beat.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Why can't BB and GMGM put together a team like the Charlestown Chiefs? How about the Hanson brothers as the Caps checking line, now that is some grit!!!

Posted by: PhilR | June 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Worf wouldn't even carry a stick, he would just go out and dominate everyone on the ice by himself.

The ideal 4 lines next year:

Ovie line
Semin line
Hanson brothers line
Worf

Posted by: sgm3 | June 18, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to NHL'ers with facial hair of note, Paul Mara is another...

One caveat about fangs, however:

Jarkko Ruutu + Fangs = a truly dangerous combination for players, fans, coaches, refs, and anyone else even remotely linked to the NHL...

Then again, there are those who may say that it is Bettman who is really sucking the lifeblood out of this league...XD

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Do the Caps have anyone that rides a Harley? That's the problem, too many sports cars and SUV's ... really, think about it (Witt, Simon, Iafrate)

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout some grit rankings? Let's just say that the average grit for a team gets them a 5 out of 10, the least grit is 1 and most grit is 10. Add all teams together it must be 150, so you divide by 30 and you get average of 5.

I thought the Hawks were about 7 on that scale. Remember, teams with skill are almost always less gritty. The Caps, maybe, 2.5, maybe 3.0. The Pens? I don't think much above 5, maybe 5.5. Boston was low grit, Flyers about 7.5, Montreal maybe same as Caps, half a point higher. Tampa about 5, Florida and Atlanta not much, Canes about 5, come to think of it, the SE might have the least amount of sandpaper in the league. Detroit about 4, StL about 6, Tor 5, Ottawa 4, go ahead, someone else do some.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 18, 2010 2:48 PM
-------------------
GMGM has to be the most expressionless person I have ever seen. I could see him and BB in the Bears suite from my seat at Giant Center. BB would smile or clap or grimace, but GMGM just sat there unmoving, with his chin resting on his hand through the entire game. Occasionally he'd lean over and say something to Doug Yingst, but you still couldn't read his expressions.

Posted by: tess2201 | June 18, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

cstanton: Are you an engineer? Why don't you invent and patent a gritometer? I'll figure out how to sell them.

"So, be the first on your block..."

And who knows? Maybe that quiet gal who no one pays attention to has the most grit of all.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

tess: I once posted that GMGM keeps his thoughts so close to his vest, they are inside his lungs.

Does that about sum him up?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

@tom

Think with your lungs. Not your brain, heart, or guts.

I like it.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Tampa about 5

_______________

No way, Tampa is one of the grittiest teams in the league.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 18, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmmmmmm brains, we need more zombies

Posted by: flee001 | June 18, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Phil: OK, make your own rankings.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I mean, I just threw some numbers out there, I'd really be interested if someone can rank.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | June 18, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1:

Here's an idea:

a)Take some moderat-sized sample boards, each with a different grade of abrasive material attached to it.

b) Have the player strike the board that has the finest grade (highest numerical value) of abrasive material attached.

c) If the player is scratched by performing step (b), stop and record the value of the abrasive involved.

d) If it is the abrasive material that is scratched, havbe the player repeat step (b) with progressively coarser grades of abrasive (lower numerical values) until he is finally scratched. Then record the result as per step (c).

e) The lower the numerical value of the abrasive recorded in step (c) or (d), the more "grit" the player has.

Now, where's my royalty check?

Posted by: Rhino40 | June 18, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I really hope we win the Cup next year just so we can stop hearing cstanton's "expertise".

Posted by: TheDoubleAlex | June 18, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

How about this idea for a "grittiness" ranking? Add team rankings in hits and PIMs; break ties by ranking the team with more hits higher, since that's a more "positive" stat generally.

Here are the results for the last regular season:
1) NYR (#2 in hits, #7 in PIMs - 9 total)
2) PIT (#3 in hits, #6 in PIMs - 9 total)
3) ANA (#7 in hits, #3 in PIMs - 10 total)
4) PHI (#14 in hits, #2 in PIMs - 16 total)
5) DAL (#1 in hits, #18 in PIMs - 19 total)
6) CBJ (#6 in hits, #13 in PIMs - 19 total)
7) OTT (#9 in hits, #10 in PIMs - 19 total)
8) SJS (#11 in hits, #8 in PIMs - 19 total)
9) LAK (#5 in hits, #16 in PIMs - 21 total)
10) STL (#17 in hits, #4 in PIMs - 21 total)
11) TBL (#21 in hits, #1 in PIMs - 22 total)
12) CAR (#4 in hits, #19 in PIMs - 23 total)
13) TOR (#16 in hits, #12 in PIMs - 28 total)
14) CGY (#20 in hits, #9 in PIMs - 29 total)
15) BOS (#10 in hits, #20 in PIMs - 30 total)
16) FLA (#13 in hits, #17 in PIMs - 30 total)
17) VAN (#27 in hits, #5 in PIMs - 32 total)
18) NYI (#12 in hits, #21 in PIMs - 33 total)
19) EDM (#24 in hits, #11 in PIMs - 35 total)
20) DET (#8 in hits, #29 in PIMs - 37 total)
21) COL (#23 in hits, #15 in PIMs - 38 total)
22) PHX (#15 in hits, #26 in PIMs - 41 total)
23) WSH (#19 in hits, #22 in PIMs - 41 total)
24) MIN (#18 in hits, #24 in PIMs - 42 total)
25) ATL (#28 in hits, #14 in PIMs - 42 total)
26) MTL (#26 in hits, #23 in PIMs - 49 total)
27) NJD (#22 in hits, #28 in PIMs - 50 total)
28) CHI (#25 in hits, #25 in PIMs - 50 total)
29) BUF (#30 in hits, #27 in PIMs - 57 total)
30) NSH (#29 in hits, #30 in PIMs - 59 total)

Note Hawks at #28, Flyers at #4 - grit is important, but couldn't overcome the skill gap between these two. The pattern in the playoffs was pretty similar.

Posted by: yosemite_sam | June 18, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse