Caps to Hold Convention at National Harbor

From the team's press release:

The Washington Capitals will hold their first Capitals Convention on Saturday, Sept. 26 at the Gaylord Convention Center at the National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Md. The all-day event will feature the entire 2009-10 Capitals team as well as Capitals alumni, who along with radio and TV personalities, coaches, and team executives will participate in a variety of breakout sessions and panel discussions that will give fans a first-time look at behind-the-scenes operations as well as an insight into the lives of NHL players. There also will be interactive activities for adults and children, a display containing many of the NHL's most prominent trophies, a locker-room store featuring game-used authentic memorabilia and the team's annual equipment sale.

Tickets will be $40 for adults and $25 for kids. There's also something called a "Golden Ticket" for $350 (!!). Check out more details here.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  July 8, 2009; 3:32 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama on Ovechkin: 'He's Outstanding'
Next: Development Camp Roster (Updated)

Comments

Posted by: mrszilla | July 8, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Managing the Salary Cap – Negotiating player contracts and managing the nuances of the NHL’s salary cap have profound impacts on every team. Get a look into how assistant general manager Don Fishman deals with these issues."

Or the "why we can't do anything because Nylander won't waive his NMC" panel.

Posted by: koalatek | July 8, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like this could be really interesting if they can keep it away from becoming a gripe session or a "why don't you trade Nylander to Chicago for a bundle of hockey sticks" stupidity.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 8, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.
are you referring to the convention or this thread? because Nylander and NMC have already showed up here - there are bound to be a *few* gripes about it

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 8, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

So is this in lieu of the annual season ticket holder event or in addition to that event? I don't recall the previous season ticket holder sessions (like last year's trip to Six Flags) costing more than $100 for families to attend.

Posted by: Kim-3 | July 8, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we can pick up a defenseman and second line center there?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 8, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The Caps convention sounds almost like a Star Trek convention, except that involves the Washington Capitals instead of Star Trek actors.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 8, 2009 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

That's actually what I was referring to...the ad nauseum complaining about Nyls' contract and why we don't just move it. The conference could be very insightful if it doesn't become a gripe session. I can just see all those that subscribe to the “Dungeen of Doom” mentality going there and be a source of annoyance and frustration. This is a great opportunity to see how a sport franchise is operated.

If it’s more of a panel discussion between experts with a few minutes of floor discussion, that’d be tolerable – the idiots couldn’t really usurp control over the sessions. The last thing we need is an argument over line combinations. We do that enough here. We don’t need a “why don’t you trade player X to Team A for their player Y.” If it’s a higher level discussion of the issues involved in developing a draft strategy, or how Coach goes about building his lines for a particular team/night, etc. Then we have something.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 8, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Is McPhee going to hold a keynote session on the Salary Cap and Collective Bargaining Agreement?

I will buy the Golden Ticket if Alex Semin gives a speech in English.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 8, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'd keep management out of the Convention. Less opportunity for the yahoos to ask the same old crap involving Nylander, Schultz, ShaMo, and Theodore.

If Semin gives a speech in English, I'll book my flight stat to witness it.

"Booth" idea: Put all the people who complain about McPhee on the ice and have them face off with the player they least like. Then, have those players fire off some pucks at them while they're wearing goalie outfits. Should be fun.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 8, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

The Caps should look to give away one of these sometime.

Posted by: superpaqman | July 8, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Maybe people should question Nylander directly about it and not the GM or assistant GM's.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 8, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan:

this is an excellent idea on finding the 'new' enforcer. i'd pay to see that

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | July 8, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

hearing the news on the retirement of Joe Sakic who is forever linked with Dale Hunter even though they weren't directly trade for one another, it was one of those deals that worked out well for both teams.

Hindsight is 20/20 and there are some Caps fans who think that it was a bad deal but looking at the track record of the Caps first round picks those years, I doubt seriously that they would have picked Sakic had they kept their pick.

Posted by: joek443 | July 8, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

"There is a sucker born everyday" said David Hannum. Could Ted be a direct descendant of Mr. Hannum?
LOL.

Posted by: opita1 | July 8, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Trade Nylander for a bundle of sticks? I'm not sure we could get a sock full of pucks for Nylander let alone a pack of Kohos. Seriously, I'm willing to give Nyls a chance every time he's on the ice. I moaned when we signed him because I thought he was garbage...but he's on the team and we need him to perform. That's life in the salary cap era. The McPhee bashing is a bit over the line for me. The team has some high priced high end superstars. We have to pay them. That means we're going to have a couple dogs on the ice every year. I can live with that. We just need the cheap young guys to perform well so we can limit the liability of cheap old guys -- who are cheap because they stink..aka "bargains". The team has a plan and they're following it. They won't trade the prospects because they need them to step up on the cheap before they get their first big contracts.

As for the Hunter trade -- Sorry. I'd have rather kept Haworth and Duschene and the draft pick. Those were two of my favorite players plus one of the greatest players in history for a guy who was supposed to be phenomenal set up man and "mr. clutch". We got one Mr. Clutch moment (and it was almost worth it), a bunch of penalties, and some big face off wins. My two cents - Hunter never lived up to expectations. Of course Bryan Murray probably would have turned Joe Sakic into a great "two way player" a la Mike Ridley. (In other words take a 40 goal guy and turn him into a 20 goal guy.)

Which reminds me....does the whole Heatly ordeal remind anyone of Bobby Carpenter?

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | July 8, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

DisgustedinArlington,

all I can tell you is Jeff Greenlaw, Yvon Corriveau and Reggie Savage... what makes you think they would have piced Joe Sakic in the late first round?? LOL

Posted by: joek443 | July 8, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Now we're dissin' Dale Hunter - gimme a break. #32 is one of the best things that happened to this franchise. To say he gave us "one clutch moment" is revisionist history at it's worst. Were you even there for that "moment"? Get a clue.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | July 8, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Wow, charging fans $40 to come to this event. Another fan friendly move by Ted Leonsis.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | July 8, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

@freakinandpeakin: Not sure if your comment was sarcasm at it's lowest but why complain about something that you may not be going to? And if you're going to it and complaining about the price, let's be clear that no one is forcing you to go. $40 seems reasonable enough. That seems to be the going rate for conventions. So I'd lay off on being snarky about Mr. Leonsis. Being petty is not cute at any age.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 8, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and it's a business, whether you choose to acknowledge that or not. They need to make money some time. Again, no one is forcing you to go nor to pay $40 to go. Just don't p*ss on it like a spoiled child who didn't get what they wanted on Christmas morning.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 8, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

I went to the hockey in heels event back in February, for about the same price. This convention seems like an even bigger "hoopla." I know 40 dollars can be a bit steep for some, but if you think of it as close to the price of a seat to a game (for upper levels) than perhaps its a good price for a fun and different "behind the scenes" hockey event.

I agree in the fact that it is a business. I am assuming profits from these sort of events effect off ice products/marketing?? If you want a fan friendly free afternoon watching the Caps, try going to a practice at Kettler, or one of the ESPN meet the players events. I mean, its not like they charge for everything. (not every NHL team has free open practices).

Go Caps!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | July 8, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

LOL.

Posted by: opita1 | July 8, 2009 8:12 PM

If he isn't, he is a re-incarnation. But can you blame him? Look at some of the fools asking for it.

Posted by: hock1 | July 9, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

tarik...

any word on whether this is a "replacement" for the season ticket holder party?

cause that would SUCK.

Posted by: carsonspence | July 9, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

From the FAQ's about the Convention on the Caps website:

Does the Capitals Convention replace the season ticket holder Meet the Team Party?

No, season ticket holders will have a separate Meet the Team Party at a later date. However, due to the overwhelming support and amazing season ticket base, autographs will be limited

Posted by: _Mark | July 9, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@ _Mark:

Thanks for the info. I got the email last night but haven't had a chance to really look into the details. I was fairly certain this wouldn't replace the STH party I have enjoyed in previous years ... but one never knows.

Posted by: ShariLeigh131 | July 9, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Does this sound exclusive to STH???

"...go on sale July 9 to season-ticket holders and July 14 to the general public."

Posted by: Greg S. | July 9, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I was excited about this until I mentioned it to my girlfriend and she pointed out that I'm basically paying my way into a store to then pay more money.

I need a raise..

Posted by: thiazzi | July 9, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I just bought some tickets for this convention for my family, so I guess we will see how it turns out and if it was a waste of money.

@Greg S.- I am not sure, I was curious about that as well. I wonder how many tickets they have for this event?!? It took me a minute to be able to log in and order them...it said it was slow due to high traffic volumes. I assume then that there are a few STH that are buying and I didn't see a "limit of" value.

Posted by: NatyBG | July 9, 2009 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Greg,
Certainly not exclusive, but conspiracies abound. Some people are quick to pass judgement and complain. Throw in the fact that they rolled the equipment sale in to teh convention and it left people wondering. It took me a little while to find the FAQ's.
With the increased numbers of season ticket holders, the STH party is going to be pretty rough. We'll see what that turns out to be when the announcement is made.

Posted by: _Mark | July 9, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I need a raise..

Posted by: thiazzi | July 9, 2009 9:53 AM

You have a very wise girlfriend, hang onto her

Posted by: hock1 | July 9, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

This feels like something Dan Snyder would do.

Posted by: brihobbs | July 9, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

@ CapLanta - yes, I was there for Hunter's overtime goal against the Flyers in 1988 at the Cap Center upper level red seats in the corner. I loved the dancing decibles didn't you? I was 12 years old. I've got a clue. Revisionist history? You need more than grit and character to win. You need goals and points. When Poile made the trade Hunter was sold as a great assist man. He really wasn't. Did we win a Cup with Hunter that I don't know about? If we had then I'd be fine with the trade.

Look, I'm not dissing Hunter. He was great for what he was. But he's not one of the greatest players in hockey history. Agreed, the Caps draft picks were abysmal in the 1980s. But, the trade resulted in 0 Cups. With hindsight being 20/20 I'd rather have the pick and roll the dice on who Poile would have selected. I'd also have preferred he pulled the trigger on the Hatcher/Yzerman deal that was rumored.

Sorry I don't have a love affair with your favorite all time Cap. I'm just saying that today I'd rather have had the pick then Hunter's 22 Goals and 45 assists average. (I'm sure someone has the time to actually do the math...but I only remember two seasons where he may have had 80 total points.)

Jeez - why so sensitive over Dale Hunter? It's not like I said I'd rather have Brian Engblom instead of Rod Langway.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | July 9, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@ CAPLanta -
Okay, you got me to think. I felt bad that people thought I was bashing Hunter. Maybe Dale was better than I remember...so I took the time and did the math. (Granted I've never been very good at math) but if I throw out the abysmal 50 games (0 goals/5 assits) in 1998-1999 I get an average of 16 goals and 35 assists per year from 1987 until 1998. That's actually worse than I remember.

I like Hunter, I really do. I'm not bashing him. I just think people think of him as being better than he really was.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | July 9, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

While the Hunter trade didn't result in any Stanley Cups, he did bring a toughness to the team that, up until that point, was non-existent. Teams could take runs at and intimidate the skilled players without fear of consequences from teammates. When Hunter came to town, his presence assured that mess wouldn't happen as much, allowing the skilled players to do their thing while allowing him to send the message the Caps won't be bullied. As Al Koken said on that game-winning goal, "He was brought here to play the Flyers, but for reasons other than this!"

Posted by: stwasm | July 10, 2009 7:23 AM | Report abuse