Caps to Host Awards Show Party

The Caps will host an open house at Verizon Center from 6-9 p.m. on June 12 so fans to select their season-long seats for next season. At the same time, the NHL's Awards Show will be broadcast on the hi-def videoboard, while Boyd Gordon and Steve Eminger sign autographs.

Did I mention there will be a moonbounce, too? It's only for kids, though, according to a team official.

The event is open to anyone. But non-Caps season ticket holders will need to RSVP at WashingtonCaps.com or by calling 202-266-2277 by June 10.

Two other notes: The NHL will observe a moment of silence on Saturday night before Game 4 for Vancouver's Luc Bourdon, who was killed in a motocycle accident yesterday. Also, the New York Daily News reports that Yankee Stadium still has an outside shot at hosting the Winter Classic in January.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 30, 2008; 11:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin to Introduce Signature Clothing Line
Next: Ovechkin In His Own Words ...

Comments

But Will Gordo and Eminger be signed by them...I guess a good sign that the caps want them back...that or they are the only ones in town for the summer.

Posted by: Rich | May 30, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I'll go if Ovechkin shows off his new clothing line.

I also think Huet and McPhee should do contract negotiations right in the middle of VC on a stage so we can cheer GM on, and go ballistic if he doesnt get it done.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

does a 35 years old midget count as kid?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

does a 35 year old midget count as kid?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

This is B.S. THE MOON BOUNCE IS ONLY FOR KIDS?

BOOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm boycotting this event.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | May 30, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

If I drive all the way from Hershey, I'm GOING on the moonbounce.

Posted by: Teka | May 30, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Me Too!

Posted by: BearsWoooo | May 30, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

TEB -

In today's e-mail to planholders, the Caps wrote:

"Current Season Ticket Holder Select-A-Seat Relocation Event Info:
Currently, the Capitals are planning to have our current season ticket holder's select-a-seat event either June 26 or June 27. We will be getting the details to you as soon as this info is released."

Are you sure seat selection is happening on the 12th? I understood it was just a draft day party.

Posted by: RealityCheck | May 30, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, not "draft day party," an "Awards Show party."

Posted by: RealityCheck | May 30, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

realitycheck:
thats how i understood it. party 12th, relocation at a later date tbd.

Posted by: crbdcap | May 30, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

And the blog postings have begun to dry up again

Posted by: AP | May 30, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Dammit. My daughters first birthday. I can probably watch at home, but if I try to bolt from the house I might not physically be able to have kids in the future!

If the moon bounce was open to adults I might be able to swing it.....oh well.

Posted by: RobMonroe | May 30, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

The Mullet is coming to the SouthEast?!?!?!

Posted by: sean Winter | May 30, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Rich, seems that Gordo, Emmy and the Caps are on the same page - signings soon. Odd that they would have these 2 UFA's giving autographs if they were not coming back next year. Maybe they will announce their signings at this event??? Bad business is these two aren't resigned to play with the Caps!

Posted by: Nils | May 30, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Remember how Petty was at Hockey In Heels like a week before getting traded? I wouldn't read too much into the players' signing appearances.

Posted by: Jordan | May 30, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Gordon and Emmy are both RFA's so we own their rights. As long as they are extended a qualifying offer we have the right to match any contract they sign with another team, or get compensation in the form of draft picks for losing them.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 30, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Maybe McPhee will send a kid up to slip them a "league-minimum" contract to Emmy and Gordon. There not paying attention...they sign the dotted line...BOO-YAA!!! Deal of the century.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

shhhhhh

Posted by: Not Somebody named George | May 30, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile Ovechkin is preparing to wear something original for the meeting with Russian Prime Minister on June 3rd.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, any word on the status of Osala and Lacroix? I think both need to be signed by June 1st or the caps lose their rights. I'm more concerned with Osala.

Posted by: Graham | May 30, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Graham,
Vogel said Wednesday on his podcast that the agreement (or lack thereof) between the IIHF and the NHL have negated Osala's deadline, or at least pushed it back, I can't remember which one. Not sure about Lacroix.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 30, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Phoenix papers are reporting an outdoor fall classic to open the season.

Coyotes vs. Kings....Roller Hockey

Posted by: Anonymous | May 31, 2008 5:54 AM | Report abuse

I wish existing season ticket holders could go to this. I don't get why we are excluded.

Posted by: Caps423 | May 31, 2008 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Caps423:
We can go - STHs just don't have to RSVP.

OK, so here we go ... LET'S GO WINGS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | May 31, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like there has been some confusion not only about who can go to the open house, but also whether or not it is a 'select a seat' event - all the details can be found here:

Posted by: Boo! | May 31, 2008 9:23 PM | Report abuse

jmu:
I didn't see it - I knew they were going to do it so I thought that I would, but I guess it was not aired here?!?

Posted by: Boo! | May 31, 2008 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Maybe just the channel I'm watching it on, but that "moment of silence" was a bit pitiful.

Oh, and Mike Milbury makes me puke a little bit.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 31, 2008 10:08 PM | Report abuse

I miss Joe B. I don't see the hubub(I think that's a word) over Doc. NBC could have done better. Millbury is a jackass. I think I hate him more than Crosby.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 31, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Wow ... I'm magic! I replied to jmu before she made a comment ... I think I will do it again! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 31, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Babcock has 151 in that bottle. He better keep drinking... 5-3 for Pittsburgh.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 31, 2008 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Oh, no ... I guess I lost my mo-jo.

Posted by: Boo! | May 31, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

How weird is the post timing?

I posted earlier (it hasn't been letting me) that they showed Bourdon's picture and they gave their condolences to his family, friends, and teammates, before the screen went black for a half second and then cut to commercial. I was assuming the black screen was supposed to be the moment of silence.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 31, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

haha

Can you penalize a team for icing too many times in a given amount of time? I think that was three icings on Detroit in under a minute. Not that I want them penalized, I'm just concerned for their safety.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 31, 2008 10:44 PM | Report abuse

BOO- The time of your posts is wierd. Are you in the future?

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 31, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

There must be a split in the "space-time continuim". Scotty,go to warp speed.
Damn it Jim,if I give her more power she's going to blow man.

Posted by: markfromparkville | May 31, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Can Crosby & Hank fight please? Hank would level him. Go Detroit!! Kinda boring game for the most part, but everything has been boring without the Caps. Is Osgood seriously only making 850 a year?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 31, 2008 11:49 PM | Report abuse

Great game by Detroit. I can't believe the Pens had 1:27 of 5-3 and couldn't tie. That makes it even more sweet :D

Posted by: mauree | June 1, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Great game. Pens are toast. i love it!

Posted by: oo7 | June 1, 2008 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Datsyuk is the most complete Russian player EVER.
He back-checks like a Canadian & hits like a Canadian, all while retaining the Euro skill & skating ability.
Not bad for a sixth round pick.
McMidget only dreams of such drafting ability.

Posted by: Chief | June 1, 2008 2:30 AM | Report abuse

How Pathetic was the crowd in Pburgh? Remember the last month of the Caps home games when everyone was standing for the last three minutes of the game, no matter the score?

With their team down by one and the goalie pulled, everyone behind the Wings goal was just sitting like it was November.

How dare ESPN indicate earlier this week that Pittsburgh is the new "Hockeytown," especially now.

Posted by: RobMonroe | June 1, 2008 6:41 AM | Report abuse

Chief,

If Datsyuk hits like a Canadian, what does OV hit like?

Posted by: Steve R | June 1, 2008 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Key of the game was the 5-3 stick-tie by Zetterberg on Crosby. Our boys are guilty of not doing that in several occasions by the way.

Everybody is still talking about how good is Cindy but truth is, her two goals were kind of lucky and she's not bringing much to the game.

You can still see the refs trying to help them... the 5-3 call was totally bs. Not even in the regular season you make that call, let alone in the playoffs, let alone on a 5-4.

Posted by: mauree | June 1, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Mark:
I AM from the future ... my secret is out! ;-)

RobMonroe:
I thought the Pens fans were pretty pathetic, too. They got awfully quiet several times. And white-outs don't work in the new NHL - they look like they are supporting the away team.

Steve:
If you are saying what I think you are saying, I agree! Datsyuk is an incredible player, but Ovie is a machine. There are few players who are as complete as Ovie is - Russian or otherwise.

jmu:
I didn't think that was the moment of silence - I thought it was just a programming glitch?!?

Glad to see the Wings win another one. The GWG was pretty cool. How on earth did the Pens let that looong 5 on 3 slip through their fingers?!? The Wings continue to out-shoot the Pens - either the Pens O is falling down or the infamous Detroit D is closing them down (or both - I'd be inclined to think that is the case). Hopefully Mon will be the end of it. WOOO HOOO!!!!!

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of machines, Zetterberg and Lindstrom are incredible ... THAT'S some serious talent.

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Interesting article on nhl.com RE: Washington being a place that FAs want to go:

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!

We're there! My son will be moonbouncing. We will do our pre-game quesadilla at California Tortilla. I'm excited. We will sit in our seats and try to convince people to but full plans and be our neighbors in section 423. Plus watch AO sweep the awards.

Posted by: Caps423 | June 1, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Caps423:
LOL!! :-) If I sit in my seats, I may scare people away, so probably best if I hang elsewhere!! ;-) I am not sure yet if I can go, but if I can swing it, I will be there!

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Off topic...

Anyone else having problems with the Caps message boards? I keep getting an 'Internet Explorer cannot display the web page' message, but my connection is fine.

Posted by: jak | June 1, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Just a thought, This is why paying flash $750K and Clymer 1MIL is a waste of cap space. There is enough money for Feds right there, and he is going to contribute, can anyone really think these 2 guys are worth or can play as well as Feds?

Posted by: Rich C | June 1, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

boo!, my original thought too, but then i was waiting for it and it never happened, so I started thinking maybe that's what it was supposed to be?
the crowd in pitt was awful. I found myself half yelling at them in disgust to support their team, then I remembered who they were cheering for and shut up.
mauree, I agree on that 5-3. Zetterberg, Holmstrom & Kronwall were killing it in that 1:30. Their PK outdid itself.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I agree with Chief. At this point in their careers, Datsyuk is a more complete player than Ovie. Datsyuk is better defensively (see Selke nom), but I still prefer Ovie. He's got plenty of time to pick up more defensive skills; Datsyuk is 7 years older and has been around longer.

Wish I had season tickets I had to pick my seat out for! Have fun all!! Enjoy the moonbounce!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 1, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

hey chief, if you think datsyuk is better and more complete than ovie and would rather have him on your team your a f-ing dumbass and a disgrace to caps fans

Posted by: Anonymous | June 1, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

jmu:
that could have been it, but i doubt it - i don't think those things are often aired (just like the national anthem), so i really do think it was a technical blip. but who knows ...

re: datsyuk, he may be up for the selke, but that does not make him as COMPLETE as ovie. granted, he may be stronger defensively, but ovie is pretty darn good defensively and arguably the best in the league offensively. besides, when you consider have far ovie has come defensively in the short time that he has been in DC, i can't imagine how good he will be defensively when he is datsyuk's age. regardless, he is a balanced player now and getting better by the minute. they don't come much better than ovie, so i will have to respectfully disagree with you assessment. and, frankly, if i was forced to pick a non-Cap for 'most complete' player, i would say zetterberg before datsyuk (not by much, but i think he has the edge, and his stats / selke nomination support that). just my two cents ...

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

i meant YOUR assessment ... :-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LFR | June 1, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@ jak:

I suspect the Caps Message Board must be down. I get the same error. It well could be under construction and re-tooling.

Posted by: Doug | June 1, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Datsyuk v Ovie,
I'd take Ovie over Datsyuk any day. Given probably less than another season, Ovie could be just as good defensively as Datsyuk. I think Ovie is a complete player, but I guess I'm comparing his defensive game to his offensive one, which isn't fair. But just think how downright killer he would be if his defensive game was as awesome as his offense!!!
I'm just thinking Datsyuk's got a better balance to his game. I'm not saying he's the most complete. I'd probably agree with Boo on Zetterberg. Either way, I wouldn't trade Ovie for anybody in the league, current or (maybe) past. But then again, I'm still learning the more tech aspects of the game, so feel free to point out the error of my ways. :D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 1, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

jak:
took the words right out of my mouth (or off of my fingertips, or something)! ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

jmu:
no errors in that commentary - i think you hit the nail on the head.

btw, looks like i've been hopping in the time machine again (jak - i posted my last comment after your comment - not before).

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Doug.

On Ovechkin v. Datsyuk...a common error people make is equating defensive abilities to overall game. Datsyuk is better defensively but Ovechkin is better overall.

Posted by: jak | June 1, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

"Thanks Doug.

Don't forget that Ovie is a LW and Datsyuk is a C. Centers are supposed to play more of a defensive role."

Ovechkin is the better "overall player" because he is THE BEST player in the NHL. Is Gonchar the best "overall" defenseman because he's good on offense? No. That's why Datsyuk is not the best "overall" Russian player. Anyone who says he is, is an idiot. Ovechkin is the best player, period.

Posted by: Sapper | June 1, 2008 9:57 PM | Report abuse

Boo- Could you please give me the Megamillion numbers for next week?

Posted by: markfromparkville | June 1, 2008 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Mark:
Surely you know that if I do that I will lose my powers?!? BTW, were you ever able to go logeing? (I actually know the answer already, but don't want to freak you out too much with the depths of my powers, so I thought I had better ask ... ;-))

Posted by: Boo! | June 1, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

mark,
You have to get a bit older or more war-related with your TV references. :D Anything that was on TV Land at least 5 years ago (Hogan's Heroes, MASH, Sanford & Sons, etc). Either that or go old school cartoons. Don't bother referencing anything from now, I don't watch most of it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 1, 2008 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what happened with the Caps boards. In the past they've always announced when they're doing maintenance, and it usually takes 12 hours tops.

Posted by: jak | June 1, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Boo- I've left 3 messages for my rep in the last month and have yet to hear back from him. I'm beginning to think they don't want my business. I assume I'm still in 409. Not much pisses me off,but when I'm the customer I expect better.Oh well,enough of my problems.
I know the Megamillions is asking a lot. At least answer me this- Do we win the Cup next year? BTW,say hi to Scott Bakula for me.(That's the actor who played the lead in Quantum Leap-a lame show about time travel). I figured I better explain that one.
One of these days I will reference a show that is not before JMU's time. "See" you guys during the week,hopefully celebrating a Wings victory.

Posted by: markfromparkville | June 1, 2008 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Funny, OV was never mentioned in my post about Datsyuk being the most complete Russian EVER.
It's plain and simple, Datsyuk has the "typical" skill associated with Euro players, yet does so many little things that Euro players are known for NOT doing.

Sorry folks, but he's the best overall player from Russia, position aside.

Posted by: Chief | June 1, 2008 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Mark:
Bummer. You may want to try email - that works for me. Want me to check with my ticket guy? Don't know if it will help, but I'm happy to give it a shot. Regardless, I heard they got a new rep recently, so maybe they will be more responsive. RE: the Cup next year, it all depends on what happens this summer, but we'll definitely go further than we did this season. BTW, it does not take a 'quantum leap' for me to remember who Scott Bakula is (I usually use the way-back machine to go to the 80s - perhaps my favorite decade). Don't worry about jmu - she seems to know more about the good ol' days than we do (thanks to the miracle of re-runs ... but does she know WHO Rerun is, and 'what's heppening' with him?!?).

Posted by: Boo! | June 2, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

what's hEppening?!? it is clearly time for bed ...

Posted by: Boo! | June 2, 2008 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Boo!,
I do know who Rerun is, but I've only seen What's Happening a few times. I went through an awkward phase in junior high (that I managed to hide quite well) where I only watched reruns of old shows. TV Land was my favorite station. I blame my dad.
But Quantum Leap doesn't do anything for me. I was, uhhh, young, when it went off the air. A bit too over my head at that stage, not to mention I was in rural Canada at the time, where the only stations we got were CBC and PBS.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | June 2, 2008 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Chief only DREAMS he were GMGM!

Posted by: McMidget | June 2, 2008 7:31 AM | Report abuse

Caps' website can be accessed thru NHL.com, but message boards still down. Why?

Posted by: Jonesin For Message Boards | June 2, 2008 8:19 AM | Report abuse

Chief only DREAMS he we were GMGM!

Posted by: McMidget | June 2, 2008 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Go Wings !!!
BTW, Kenny Holland took a beautiful dump this morning, he named it George McPhee.

Posted by: DetCup08 | June 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

ok d-bag, so the question is, would you rather have the "most complete russian ever" on your team, or our mvp russian who happens to be the first russian ever to win the art ross. Like i said before, if your answer is the latter youre a complete disgrace to all caps fans and you should never watch OUR(not your) team again

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

scratch latter, former(datsyuk), d-bag

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I'll take the Russian that back-checks ALL the time, as opposed to the Russian that only skates back due to his mistake.

You know, the Russian with a Stanley Cup (or 2) under his belt, as opposed to the Russian with the Individual awards.
Donkey.

Posted by: Chief | June 2, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

so now thats its clear you arent a caps fan but rather just a fool who likes to argue for arguments sake you arent needed here. go to the red wings message board. how many years has datsyuk been on the wings compared to ovie, and how many of those years were winning seasons versus ovies one and only this past season. If you want to say that ovie and the caps arent ever going to win a stanley cup fine, but that just solidifies your status as a complete idiot and in no way are you a fan of the team you spend an obvious overabundance of time following. its in vain, youre wasting your time, your pass has been revoked, assuming you ever had one. any and every memeber of the organization from ted all the way down to steve eminger would rather you not even pay attention to them or the team, because theyre above you, no matter how many tickets you buy and no matter how hard you pretend when the times are good. youre the worst of the worst, and dont you dare cheer even for a second when, not if, ovie and the boys bring the cup home.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Cindys to do list for June 3:
Make a tee time.
Start growing playoff beard for upcoming season.

Posted by: markfromparkville | June 2, 2008 6:56 PM | Report abuse

step down from his captaincy duties for acting like an embarrassing child at the end of game 4

Posted by: Anonymous | June 2, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse