Caps to Play in Winter Classic?

The Boston Globe is reporting that the Bruins will play in this year's Winter Classic at Fenway Park, and their opponent could be the Caps:

According to a source familiar with the negotiations on the players' side, the NHL has given the Bruins the go-ahead to play this year's Winter Classic outdoor game at Fenway Park on Jan. 1, 2010. That same source indicated their opponent could be either the Capitals or Flyers, though no decision has been made.
Over the last three months, speculation has been that the Bruins' opponent would be the Canadiens. But it appears the Habs will not be coming to Fenway.

The NHL's (not-yet-confirmed) decision to host the game at Fenway was first reported by the Boston Herald.

Don't book those flights to Boston just yet -- we'll update when we know more. Not a bad way to spend New Year's, though, huh?

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  April 9, 2009; 12:42 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Poti, Brashear Sidelined Tonight
Next: Update: Caps Interested in Winter Classic

Comments

Holy canoli.

Posted by: ThisGuy | April 9, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

if it's the caps i'll do whatever it takes to be there.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 9, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Student loans be damned. I'd be there in a heartbeat!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 9, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

YESSSSSSSSSS! Please let it be us!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 9, 2009 12:50 PM | Report abuse

wicked awesome... i WILL be there

Posted by: _stevo | April 9, 2009 12:51 PM | Report abuse

my only worry is that it makes too much sense to have ovechkin in that game. and we all know when something makes too much sense, the nhl doesn't do it.

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 9, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I will be there, Caps or Flyers, Boston is close enough and I would love to go to a Winter Classic! But, PLEASE let it be the Caps. I bet if we do well and drum up more attention...it will be the Caps!

Posted by: NatyBG | April 9, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

would love to see ovie jump onto the green monster after a game winning goal...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 9, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

i'm in...that sounds like the best new years' ever!!!

though i cannot remember a time when the Caps did NOT play a home game on New Years'...is that tradition changing??

Posted by: netminder71 | April 9, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

If it's not this year, then it will be in 2 years, as it seems they want to go east teams one year, west the next.

Posted by: superpaqman | April 9, 2009 1:20 PM | Report abuse

anyone read the comments in the globe article? everyone in boston seems to not want the caps because "there's not enough history between the teams."

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 9, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I can see that

Posted by: superpaqman | April 9, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

sirbobalew:
Maybe we can make some history if the Caps and Bruins meet up in the Eastern conference finals!

Posted by: tess2201 | April 9, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

@sirbobalew: Heh. Well, I see that. The only teams the Caps really have a ton of bad blood with is Philly and Pitt, and Carolina's starting to get there.

Of course, they may change their minds when Washington kicks Boston out of the postseason :) (Little trash talk there. Don't freak out.)

Posted by: kittypawz | April 9, 2009 1:40 PM | Report abuse

@kitty,

I agree. I just want it to be the caps so I have a reason to go. Plus, who wouldn't want to watch the best player in the world at fenway?

Posted by: sirbobalew | April 9, 2009 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Considering that we were 3-0-1 vs them this year, this wouldnt even be a game.

They should schedule Boston with a team they might be able to beat in regulation in front of their home fans.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 9, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Boston won't be kicked out by us... The pens or flyers will take them out in 6 in the 2nd round. (I am assuming we win which is of course a given, Pens take out NJ and the flyers take out carolina)

Posted by: caps512 | April 9, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

@sirbobalew: Sure. I'm guessing the decision as to opponent will be made based on this year's playoffs. Just a hunch.

The only thing I note is, you can't gift all Winter Classics based solely on old rivalries. If you do that, then about half the league won't ever get a sniff of it, and that's kind of stupid. I understand the sentiment, but objectively it's parochial thinking.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 9, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Mixed emotions on that one. I want the Caps in the Classic but it seems like there won't be any repeat appearances for teams for the first four or five years. What I really want - and would prefer - is the Caps to host a Classic on the Mall, at night. We clearly have the capability to build outdoor seating for 30,000 or so (see: inauguration) and it could be right up on the ice. I know the worries about weather - with rain being the primary issue - but a night game with the monuments illuminated would be the best thing ever. I don't much care for the baseball stadium set up. I was one of the few that didn't think Wrigley looked so great...and I'm a Cubs fan. I think the throw back unis and history of the rivalry overshadowed the problems: way too much space between the stands and the ice, a pretty filthy looking infield area, and pretty bad camera angles. I'd rather have the game here than have the Caps play up in Boston.

Having said that, I'll be heading to Boston if that's my option.

Posted by: saintex | April 9, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

This would be so cool! My husband is a Bs fan and I'm a lifelong Caps fan from the DC area. Would love to see a big turnout of Caps fans in my "new" home town of Boston.

Posted by: gem17 | April 9, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Completely random - andyone know if they will be serving beer at tonights Frozen 4 games?

Posted by: goskinsgo | April 9, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I had the chance to catch this year's Winter Classic at Wrigley and it was pretty awesome. When I lived in IL, I ended up getting to know plenty of Hawks fans, and they were more than willing to get me a ticket at cost. If the Caps were playing, I'd definitely consider going to one again... but at $225/ticket + travel expenses, I think I might be more inclined to save my money for some other Caps away games (where I won't be so uncomfortably cold).

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | April 9, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

When I went to March Madness they were not serving beer because it's a NCAA event, so I would say no to the beer at the final four.

Posted by: PhilR | April 9, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

$225 per ticket is cost for the Winter Classic??!!

Posted by: PhilR | April 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Have to disagree with "caps512", I think for the second round it is:

Boston-Pitt
Wash-Carolina

Hopefully Carolina and Philly absolutely beat the tar out of each other and we have a relatively easy first round. Carolina is a tough match up for anyone right now. I really hope that NJ beats Pitt so we play NJ rather than Carolina. I would rather play Brodeur with no offense rather than Ward with Cole and Staal.

Posted by: numero94 | April 9, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR - This sucks. I'm going to run to the liquor store now. Thanks.

I'm not sure what the NCAA rule is, some places beer is encouraged (Bowl games for example) others its not (bball tourney games).

This is very confusing.

Posted by: goskinsgo | April 9, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Bowl games aren't official NCAA events, I think is the difference.

Posted by: koalatek | April 9, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"$225 per ticket is cost for the Winter Classic??!!"

My son went this year in Chicago - as I recall there were 3 tiers of ticket prices, $325, $225 and around $100 - those were face. The higher prices were for the seats in the higher levels of Wrigley as the view from the field level (the better seats in baseball) were the worst for hockey.

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 9, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

oh wow this would be amazing, I go to school in Boston and can see Fenway from my apartment.

Caps + Winter Classic + Fenway. Woah.

Posted by: demodaze | April 9, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

@GoSkinsGO-Yep bowl games are a different animal as they are not sanctioned NCAA events. I think you will be out of luck getting beer at the college games this evening.

@DevilsCapsGal- damn, that is a whole lot of money to see a game in a baseball stadium while freezing your buns off!! I think I would rather sit in front of my fireplace and watch it on the tube.

Posted by: PhilR | April 9, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

My $225 seat was 9 rows back in the second tier. It wasn't an absolutely terrible view, but the ice was so far away that it made it difficult to follow everything that was going on. I liked the fact that everyone (at least in the sections near me) stood throughout the entire game, but there was a short girl next to me who couldn't see a thing... she was pretty upset about paying so much to stare at the back of the guy in front of her. She was a Detroit fan, though, so I couldn't feel too bad.

Posted by: FedorovCrunch | April 9, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR:

I agree it's a lot of money - but my son who is a lifelong Caps fan, now lives in Chicago and has Hawks season tickets, said it was an incredible, once-in-a-lifetime experience, even though he was freezing!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | April 9, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

numero94 I think the flyers have too much secondary scoring and are too tough for the hurricanes who have scoring issues of their own.

The one team I don't want to face is the devils, their style I think will frustrate the caps and marty can stand on his head for the 20 mins a game the caps play amazing. In a perfect world the flyers and pens would play each other in the first round and beat the daylights out of each other.

Posted by: caps512 | April 9, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The Hurricanes have scoring issues? The top line alone has 50 pts in their last 15 games.

Posted by: numero94 | April 9, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully the Caps will make sure season ticket holders will be able to get tickets to the event... I'd love to be there.

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | April 9, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The NCAA doesn't allow beer at fully-NCAA sponsored events. That includes the basketball tourney site, the College World Series, and probably the Frozen Four. Each conference and university has it's own rules for member games.

Posted by: saintex | April 9, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I am just comparing them to the flyers whose lines have more scoring depth than the carolina

Posted by: caps512 | April 9, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I would hope the Caps would not stoop low enough to participating in that disgrace. It makes the NHL look like crap. You don't see the NHL playing arena football games do you? Or MLB playing in a school yard.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 10, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse