Caps to Remain With Bonneville

Washington Capitals games will remain on Bonneville's WFED 1500 AM frequency next season, a source with knowledge of the situation confirmed tonight. The source requested anonymity, because the multi-year deal has not yet been signed.

The Capitals also talked with CBS Radio's new sports talk station 106.7 The Fan, which recently signed a multi-year deal with the Washington Wizards, and with Red Zebra's ESPN 980, the hockey team's former radio home, before reaching an agreement with Bonneville The news was first reported by Jim Williams at the Examiner.

The Caps spent the previous two seasons on 1500, which boasts a strong signal but which also serves as the Nationals' local radio partner. That necessitated creative scheduling with the sports overlapped; the Caps' entire 14-game playoff schedule appeared on WJFK 106.7 this spring, before that station had flipped to sports.

Steve Kolbe will continue to serve as the team's radio play-by-play voice.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 22, 2009; 7:39 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching Up with Mike Knuble
Next: Fedorov Says He Was Swindled Out of $43 Million

Comments

NOOOO! It does not boast a strong signal! Especially during nighttime, which are when most of the games are on! ;(

Posted by: rachel216 | July 22, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Ted needs to remedy this.

Posted by: chasedano@gmail.com | July 22, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

it's a strong signal if you're sitting in the parking lot of the radio station and it's not raining. Too bad they couldn't hook an FM station.

Posted by: ccape1 | July 22, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm screwed! Can't get 1500 past Centreville...so much for the boast. It just ain't true.

Get a real station that truly has a signal that reaches the entire DC metro area.

With the first class way this organization does everything else, this is very discouraging.

Ted...PLEASE HELP!

Please get on FM!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | July 22, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

aieeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! All the above comments are true~~1500 is terrible~~I am glad I got a job that lets out at 5 so I can watch my Caps in HD!!!!!!!~` Why the heck can't this franchise get 107.7 FM to carry the Caps also???

Posted by: bmartin230 | July 22, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

The playoffs on 106.7 was the only time I could get the whole post game show. 1500 AM sucks in the city, and barely reaches past Reston

Posted by: fedup34 | July 22, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

STRONG?!? If this wasn't so disappointing that would be laughable. Man, that's too bad. 106.7 would have been AWESOME. I lose the post-game show on the way home from games (heck, there are even dead pockets in DC, just a few blocks from the VC!). And God forbid I try to listen an away game on the way home from work. I thought it was just around here - I didn't realize that so many other people had the same problem.

Posted by: --Boo-- | July 22, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

At least this announcement stopped the Shultz complaining for an afternoon......ok back to shultz now unless everyone wants to change to Nyls or Theo

Posted by: RichC3 | July 22, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

I hear the Caps will also maintain their affiliation with the South Carolina Sting Rays team.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | July 22, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

To remedy it, get XM that will solve everything, plus you get all the games if you want. And you get the Hockey station 24 hours a day...No more listening to only the Wizards and Redskins talk all day on The John Thompson show...

Posted by: topshelf | July 22, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Excellent Alternative Topper~~~ we all should get XM and let AM 1500 ratings be a big fat 0

Posted by: bmartin230 | July 22, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

@bmartin230: Why the heck can't this franchise get 107.7 FM to carry the Caps also???
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

That's what I'm hoping for. I can't stream XM at work. No way will 1500 am play in my building (or any building outside the beltway). WTOP News is already broadcast on 103.5, C'mon, Ted - Work it out with Bonneville to broadcast on 107.7 as well!

Posted by: bagace | July 22, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | July 22, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

This is really weird. I can sometimes get the signal when I'm back home in Richmond. I guess it's only good if you're due south of
DC

Posted by: large23220 | July 23, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

ultimate d pairings

Green Poti
Mo alzner
Carlson pothier

Orlov

maybe not at the begging...but come playoffs

Posted by: bryaningrocery | July 22, 2009 2:31 PM |

Wait...what?

First off, Green and Mo will be together.
Second, Juice and Erskine were our two best d man last playoffs. Are you just going to forget about that?
Third, Orlov?!??!!?? Really? A late 2009 draft pick, and you want him called up for the playoffs? wut.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 23, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

Damnit, totally unacceptable. I don't know about anyone else, but I can't get AM 1500 99% of the time. Just damnit...

Posted by: superpaqman | July 23, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

Oh, alexanderperlmutter, please quit hocking you blog here.

Posted by: superpaqman | July 23, 2009 1:14 AM | Report abuse

Green-Mo
Juice-Poti (or D via trade instead of Poti)
Carlson-Erskine

no mo sarge or poth

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 23, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Share the sympathies here. I lose 1500 at about Centreville, so I really would have preferred the Caps to get on FM. 106.7 comes in clear as a bell.

Ted, if you are going to re-sign with them, please get them to turn up the juice in western Prince William County!!!

Posted by: joeduffus | July 23, 2009 2:30 AM | Report abuse

Whatever happened to WTOP 1500? That was one of the strongest stations on the East Coast. I could actually get it sometimes at night here in Orlando.

cstanton: Why in God's name do you suggest Pothier won't play this year? He was a second-pair defenseman (maybe a #4) before his injury and in the playoffs last year. The only d-man on the Caps, better than Pothier, is Green.

You can trade Poti for a replacement defenseman but which team would make a worthwhile deal? Nobody will trade you a better defenseman who costs less.

I don't mind if they trade Poti for a prospect winger and then keep Morrisonn. Then you have $1.5M of cap space and you can turn and get a nasty defenseman at the deadline for a #2 pick and come out whole.

I would kinda mind if they traded Pothier and kept Mo because I think Potsy at $2.5M is a better value than Mo at $1.975M.

And I don't mind at all keeping Schultz and Sloan at $1.4M COMBINED to play as the #6 and 7 defensemen, Erskine being pretty well entrenched at #5. They also have Collins signed for 2 yrs, and he is very capable as a #7 d-man.

Unless they trade Poti, Morrisonn is pretty much gone. And Jurcina is probably out too since Sloan, Schultz and Carlson (if ready) are all cheaper than whatever he will get. They could keep 8 d on roster but more likely, I think, 14 forwards since Bourque I think would need waivers to go down and Aucoin too.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 23, 2009 6:25 AM | Report abuse

i just wanted to get this in,bad move on the caps' part by letting go on brent johnson.they should of traded away theo cause for one,johnny is a way better back up than theo,2-he cost less,3-hes just plan out a better goalie than theo.good player,and good guy,we'll miss ya johnny.if the caps dont win the cup than i hope u do with pitt.anyhow,GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | July 23, 2009 7:40 AM | Report abuse

Go easy on gratefuldid you rabid attack dogs. It would be a wonderful world if we could ship our bad contract deals off to another team to assume, but our Caps don't get to play fantasy hockey. Hopefully our fellow Cap fan is just young and doesn't understand the Caps would have loved to have moved Theo.

I did/do like Brent Johnson, and we all know he would have stayed with the Caps if there was an opportunity to extend an offer, but it was impossible. Hopefully he will be next season's Hossa and is in the Eastern Conference Championship handshake line as the losing Goaltender as Alex and the Caps head to the Stanley Cup Finals. I wish him personal good fortune, but I can't cheer for his new team.

Now go easy on him. Don't say bad things about his mother or anything like that.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 23, 2009 8:05 AM | Report abuse

GET XM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: sporttraveler | July 23, 2009 8:07 AM | Report abuse

@grateful did: i just wanted to get this in,bad move on the caps' part by letting go on brent johnson.they should of traded away theo...

Who would want him? Sorry.

Posted by: Caps16Fan | July 23, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

comes in loud and clear on xm 204...and I live in Tampa...go Caps !!

Posted by: capfanforsure | July 23, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I am conflicted. I want to warn against people getting XM because they'll immediately cancel your favorite music stations.. and they now charge you for listening online.. but then again, the NHL channel is effing great.

I'm going to have to renew my subscription :/

Posted by: thiazzi | July 23, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Can't you just listen to the radio broadcast online?

Posted by: trunkenmath | July 23, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Wait--Fanohock1---are you saying you WANT the Penguins to get that far??? LOL!

And anyone with a moniker of gratefuldid is just fine by me. I'm still sitting shiva for Jerry.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | July 23, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

dccitzen1: Yes, I want the Pens to get that far, but only if they are facing the Caps. When the Caps win their Cup(s) I want them to meet, and run over the Pens on their way. I want the Caps to exercise the playoff demons. Even though Crosby tried to play it off, he enjoyed this playoff run because his team eliminated the Caps along the way. I want to taste that sweet series victory as a fan too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 23, 2009 9:59 AM | Report abuse

dccitzen1: Yes, I want the Pens to get that far, but only if they are facing the Caps. When the Caps win their Cup(s) I want them to meet, and run over the Pens on their way. I want the Caps to exorcise the playoff demons. Even though Crosby tried to play it off, he enjoyed this playoff run because his team eliminated the Caps along the way. I want to taste that sweet series victory as a fan too, and have the Caps beat the Pens along the way. I am tired of hearing about, and having to accept, that the Pens have a dominant record over the Caps in the playoffs.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 23, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Can't you just listen to the radio broadcast online?

Posted by: trunkenmath | July 23, 2009 9:49 AM

not while you're driving.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 23, 2009 10:03 AM | Report abuse

fanohock1:

That's "exorcise" their demons.

As in, "The priest exorcised the demons from Linda Blair's character."

To "exercise" one's playoff demons, one must force those demons to work out.

OTOH, I guess you are technically right, because in hockey you must exercise your demons on the way to exorcising them.

Nevermind.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 23, 2009 10:05 AM | Report abuse

What a minute...I could have sworn fanohock had typed "exercise," but now it is with an "o."

Perhaps it is I who have those demons, or did he go in and fix it?

It's funny when people use the wrong word because it reminds me of Archie Bunker.

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 23, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Fanohock1, I understand now and support your position! I, too, would like to see a tear glisten and then slowly trickle down SC's face as he is forced to join the line congratulating the Caps on their victory over the Pens. Guess he wouldn't be able to get out of the handshake line that time like he did at the SCP! I just want Ovie to carry a hand buzzer in his glove for that.

Thanks tominfl1 for the laugh.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | July 23, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

That's a shame, 1500 has terrible night time reception in Virginia. A lot of evenings I'm still on the road coming home during the first period and you can't get the games. Here's a map that shows the night time signal for 1500:
http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=WFED&service=AM&status=L&hours=N The purple area is a weak signal and beyond that it's static.

Posted by: thrh1 | July 23, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Oh Sheez Edith, someone's picking on my spelling again. Yeah tominfl1, I submitted a corrected version immediately, you caught my gaffe.

Posted by: fanohock1 | July 23, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I just want Ovie to carry a hand buzzer in his glove for that.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | July 23, 2009 10:10 AM

Pierre McGuire: "So, Sidney, I understand got you with that old hand buzzer trick."

Crysby: "Yeah, he got me. Like it or lump it, he got me."

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 23, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

"Personally, I don't like buzzers, but some people do," sighed Cindy.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | July 23, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@ tominfl1 and dccitizen1: More please!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 23, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I would really love to hear an official explanation from the club on why they would stay with AM1500 that not that many people pick up, when they had options to go to FM on either 106.7 or 92.7.

Posted by: nag1055 | July 23, 2009 11:32 AM | Report abuse

"The hats on the ice, the hand buzzers, the hitting....the trash talk...I dont like it...I just try to play my game.....

All I want to do is play hockey, and in my free time I clean Mario's house.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 23, 2009 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Tarik - Can you ask GMGM about Keith Seabrook. That has been treated as a non-story. He was a 2nd round pick, rated #12 overall in our prospects by "Hockey's Future", and we gave him away to the Flames for "future considerations". What is the thought process on that one? He had tremendous offensive upside.

Posted by: Political_Stratgst | July 23, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

“There's not going to be a lot of surprises for me if I can ask him beforehand and see how things work. That's the main thing, just being around him and seeing how he goes about things every day.”

---SC talking about Maryo's "methods" or Ovie's hand buzzer.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | July 23, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I challenge each of you to write to TL and ask him to turn his AM radio (ask his driver to do it) at around 9pm or so and drive just 25 minutes from his house toward Dulles airport and see if he can get reception. We ALL know that this station is useless for a large majority of us. I mean, really. How many people have to say that you can barely get the post-game show when you are LEAVING the freaking VC and you ALWAYS lose reception on the ride home. For those that try to use 1500 to listen to the actual game, good luck unless you happen to live inside the DC beltway or just barely outside to the Northeast of the beltway. The FM station would cover (with a clarity that is WAAAY better) more than double the area as the AM station.

WTF is wrong with this picture? Why does this situation still exist? It is a total WASTE of sponsor money for any dope company to advertise on this station during a game.

Either BOOST the signal or get a BETTER station under contract.

Posted by: WhyGo | July 23, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1 and SA-town: Nice ones! I don't know about any of you but I wanna' take on the Penguins already!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 23, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

@Political_Stratgst

As has been written here by others more informed than I, and characterized now by me, the deal with Seabrook is that if he does really well for his new team in the future, then the CAPS get something really good (high draft pick) for him, if on the other hand he does very poorly for his new team, then they only have to pay us a cup of coffee or something like that.

Basically he seems not to be predicted to fit into the Caps future plans either because we think he will never do very well or we have enough guys similar to him that he is tradeable.

It is a zero-sum game, basically breaking even whichever way it goes. We already paid a high pick to draft him, if he bombs, then we were right to trade him, if he is a star, then we will be compensated and basically break even or not throw any more effort or money at him

Posted by: WhyGo | July 23, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Fedorov wants his money.

RE; Seabrook. I thought we already went over this? WhyGo basically hits every point that needs to be made.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 23, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

"It was nice to get the first one out of the way," and.....

"I looked forward to it for a long time. It feels awesome. Yeah, I was happy. It`s something you dream of.....and you only do it the first time once. It was big. There`s a lot of emotion."

- Sidney Crosby, on his first sleepover at MaryO's house or on the first handshake line with Ovie.

Okay, I'll stop!

LeftCoast, I'm with you. Bring it on, now!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | July 23, 2009 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind 1500. Once I learned where to move the radio it came in great last year.

Posted by: pstenigma | July 23, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: topshelf | July 22, 2009 10:26 PM

Yeah, XM is the way to go, 24/7/365 hockey coverage with frequent Caps guests, discussions on the Caps and every NHL team, and every NHL game broadcast is available. It's a good way to increase your overall hockey knowledge base and keep up on current events around the league.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | July 23, 2009 12:49 PM | Report abuse

On another note, a station here in Baltimore picked up the feeds for the Caps playoff games back in April/May. So, now that the deal is finalized with 1500, perhaps this will allow them to make arrangements to establish a network of stations to blanket the area from Richmond to Hershey (this was proposed by a poster on the Caps message board, good idea me thinks).

106.7 is no good once you pass Rt.32/I-95 in Maryland, or get to Annapolis, So, it's good for VA fans, but not so much for those traveling north and east in MD. And, with WJFK carrying the Wiz and Westwood One NFL games this year, the sched would be quite crowded resulting in the Caps most likely getting dumped on much as they did when the Wiz/Caps shared space on WTEM.

Let's lobby for the network of stations so all Caps fans will be covered regardless of locale.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | July 23, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Just in case anyone wants to bask in the glory of Finley vs. The Lawnmower a little bit longer:

Posted by: mrszilla | July 23, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it that Alex Ovechkin has been spotted shopping in this store:

Posted by: tominfl1 | July 23, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

So, being that I'm on the West Coast, should I get XM so I can have all my Caps hockey fix whenever I want? Or do I gotta' move there? =P

@dccitizen1: I'm confused. It sorta' sounds like his "first time". =P oh brother.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Second the suggestion from MetalCapsFan regarding a network of stations. Living in Gaithersburg, we don't always get a srong signal from 1500 AM either, but FM 106.7 sometimes can be spotty if you're much further north than Gaithersburg. I've got satellite radio in my car which keeps my covered, but understand the frustration that many fans have who can't get the signal from 1500 AM.

Lobby to Ted Leonsis and maybe he'll be able to do something about it so we have a network that covers us from Richmond up to Baltimore. The Caps should be looking at making this more a 'regional' franchise and radio would be a good start.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 23, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

For those who want to listen to the Caps online (but don't have the XM online hook-up), you can get all the games here:

The radio feeds for all NHL games each night are carried. Unlike XM, the home/away announcers are available (most of the time). There's no subscription necessary to get the audio (just the video), and there's a live stat tracker on there as well.

We listened to the Caps beat the Red Wings last season in the backstage before a gig when we were on tour in Germany. That was def awesome, moreso because one of the bands we were touring with was from Michigan and are Wings fans. They were not pleased haha.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | July 23, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

1500 comes in fine here in Crofton. I'm good. Rock the Red!

Posted by: blackandred777 | July 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

You are in Misery Index?

How random...Relapse are good people.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 23, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@Political_Stratgst

Posted by: WhyGo | July 23, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

What if Seabrook is a "star" as you put it. You really think the future considerations that McPhee negotiated would take into account an appropriate return if Seabrook ended up being a very good player?

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 23, 2009 1:50 PM | Report abuse

If that happens, then GMGM failed on that move. Sh*t happens.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 23, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"As soon as the clock struck noon on July 1, the names started coming off the board and some of them were big. However, a bulk of the summer signings came and went off the transactions page with little fanfare, even though they all could be key acquisitions.

With that in mind, we offer you NHL.com's Top 10 list of the most underrated signings of 2009.

1. Mike Knuble, Washington -- The Capitals learned during their seven-game series against Pittsburgh that they were lacking a net-front presence. Knuble gives them exactly that. Look for him on the right side of Nicklas Backstrom and Alex Ovechkin this season, especially on the power play. That could be a lethal line, with Knuble's grit serving as the perfect complement to the European flair of Ovechkin and Backstrom."

Posted by: richmondphil | July 23, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

What they should've learned was actually TWO things. That we lacked a net presence, and that we weren't able to clear any kind of net presence away from our net. Too bad Schultz wasn't able to play in the series. Hopefully he gets his shot this year to show what we were missing. Go get em big boy!

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 23, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I was trying to find our games on EPSN 890, that explains it.

Signed,
Natinals Employie

Posted by: theskinnypost | July 23, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Tarik: I would be curious to see an article exploring the economics of choosing a radio station to broadcast the Caps games, as well as the selection of the radio play-by-play announcer. My uninformed guess is that the Caps actually pay the station, rather than the other way around. I would bet that most listeners believe the Caps are getting revenue from the radio broadcasts, while the station makes money from the commercials. I wonder. Further, and this is simply a bias of mine, I wonder how the current radio play-by-play announcer is allowed to continue as the "voice of the Capitals." I would also suspect that this choice is dictated by the fact that the Caps will not pay good money for a top of the line voice, and figure that what they have already got is sufficient for the price they are paying. The latter point, I admit, should go to Leonsis, but I thought I'd throw it out there for you and others to assess.

Posted by: lmorbid1 | July 23, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Imorbid1, I presume that you have never listened to a game on the radio. Steve Kolbe is as good as they come and he's also a great guy.
I'd also like to say that I want it back to being on sportstalk 980 and on 570 when there's a conflict.

Posted by: wis193 | July 23, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

i can get the games at night on the radio (1500 am) in Concord/Charlotte NC where i live so im glad the are staying on 1500

Posted by: heathdog1119 | July 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

This is a MISTAKE! You cannot get 1500 much outside the Beltway, and it goes out randomly in spots while you are inside the District. ANY FM station would be 100% improvement. If people are in other states and want to listen, let them listen on the Internet. You would think your major customer is Caps fans driving home from the game. Having the playoffs on 107.7 was AWESOME!

Posted by: ssm91470 | July 25, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Kolbe is a nice guy, and very knowledgeable...but he's too slow. It drives me nuts and is anti-climatic when I hear the crowd (away or home) essentially announce the outcome of a goal attempt over the radio while he's still trying to catch up to the moment that the goal happened or didn't happen.

Posted by: evenadog | July 25, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I like Kolbe. Wish he were the tv guy. I live out in Madison but still used to listen to games on 107.7. But 1500, forget it. I used to especially like the post game show. 106.7 would be OK too. Your fans are in the suburbs. Give them a strong signal.

Posted by: rjma1 | July 28, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse