Caps Top Sharks to Snap Four-Game Skid

Alex Ovechkin scored back-to-back goals 28 seconds apart to lead the Caps to a 4-1 victory over the Sharks at Verizon Center, snapping a four-game losing streak.

Alexander Semin and Matt Bradley also tallied in the win, which ended another skid: the Caps' 11-game losing streak against San Jose dating back to Feb. 20, 1999. It was also Sharks goalie Evgeni Nabokov's first loss to the Caps; he was previously 8-0-0 against Washington.

Caps goalie Jose Theodore made 12 saves (allowing the lone Sharks goal by Benn Ferriero) in the first period but didn't return for the second after suffering an undisclosed injury. Semyon Varlamov took over for the final 40 minutes and stopped all 15 shots to close out the victory.

A fun Ovechkin fact:

* No. 8 has now scored a goal against every team in the league; the Sharks were the last to succumb.

Final game summary: Capitals 4, Sharks 1

Tarik will be back soon with some notes, quotes, etc. In the meantime, here's a fun clip of Ovechkin from this evening's Washington Post Live. Topics range from that 9-year-old kid's amazing goal, to missing Sergei Fedorov, to kicking field goals for the Redskins.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  October 15, 2009; 9:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gordon Sidelined Tonight
Next: Theodore Day-to-Day

Comments

The demon of San Jose has been exorcised.

Next up: Pens in the Playoffs.

We will win the cup this year. Mark my words.

Posted by: eyechip | October 15, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

LMAO @ The demon of San Jose

Posted by: joek443 | October 15, 2009 9:44 PM | Report abuse

wow our team looks good when we play all 3 periods of the hockey game.

We have beaten every team we have played this year, just didn't win games because we stopped playing before the game ended. Great effort tonight.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | October 15, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

I think Alan May has found himself a home as an analyst for this team.

The really good news is....

I CAN WATCH NHL ON THE FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried to avoid them during the loosing streak. Its just really tough for me to watch when the Caps are sucking as they have been. But hey, all that is moot for tonight!!!

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 15, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Well...Ovechkin still hasn't scored against the Caps. Just sayin'...

Posted by: amorris525 | October 15, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

well he can always pull a Steve Smith... LOL

Posted by: joek443 | October 15, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Yea, but Shamo & Poti seem to do it on a regular basis.

Posted by: sidehillman | October 15, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

Well...Ovechkin still hasn't scored against the Caps. Just sayin'...

Posted by: amorris525 | October 15, 2009 9:55 PM
_______________________________________
(raises his glass of beer) And here's to that never happening, as it will mean Ovie has retired a Cap-hopefully after several Cups...

Posted by: TimDz | October 15, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

when are the NHL players gonna play with pink skates??? LOL seems to be everywhere, I'm seeing pink cars on the track right now

Posted by: joek443 | October 15, 2009 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Great win tonight. Solid goaltending from both and hustle from everyone for three periods. That was the best defense from the offense I've seen in a long time. I must admit even Schultz looked good. I only saw one glaring mistake when he whiffed on a hit along the boards and gave a brief 2 on 1. Other than that I thought he played well. Poti was solid, the whole freaking team was solid. Go Caps.

Posted by: tomdchancar | October 15, 2009 10:06 PM | Report abuse

and kings ransom on espn classic...

espn does go overboard sometimes but they do a great job of producing great sports documentaries

Posted by: joek443 | October 15, 2009 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Bruce's moves look pretty good tonight. Nice effort guys! Hopefully Jose's back spasms can be eased quickly. And regardless of what some think, Bruce is not planning on playing Nyls. There is a plethora of Bears players that are willing and capable of playing Bruce's system. Coiner looked good in Caps colors.

Posted by: jbears1 | October 15, 2009 10:12 PM | Report abuse

New posting from Tarik--JT is day to day.

Posted by: wocoliz | October 15, 2009 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Haven't we seen that whirlybird goal from a kid before? I thought there was one last year that spurred all the all-stars to try it in the goal competition. Don't get me wrong, this kid did it and did it awesome, but don't show it like he's mini-Ovie.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | October 15, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Boy, BB's line changes REALLY WORKED. I loved the Knuble, Ovie, BMo line combination. These two guys are such great, solid additions to the team.

Posted by: caraveli | October 15, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Ran into Nyls today during the 1st intermission. He was sporting his usual stylish Euro suit. Of course, I asked him where he was heading (he knew I wasn't referring to the closest keg) and he just kept telling me that he can't say anything. He didn't look very pleased when I brought it up which is understandable. As a Swede, I do feel bad for him. He's always suited up for our national team, regardless of tourny prestige. Cheers Nyllet, I hope you find a club that can make use of your skills. Round and round we go.

Posted by: jakopz | October 15, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse