Caps Trim Training Camp Roster

Nineteen players were assigned to Hershey, where the Bears' training camp opens on Thursday.

Here's the list: Dean Arsene, Scott Barney, Jay Beagle, Sean Collins, Andrew Gordon, Marty Guerin, Jamie Hunt, Andrew Joudrey, Quintin Laing, Sami Lepisto, Tommy Maxwell, Chris McAllister, Grant McNeill, Patrick McNeill, Jason Morgan, Travis Morin, Steve Pinizzotto, Grant Potulny, Steve Werner. The Caps also released Dan Kronick.

I don't see any surprises there.

That leaves 20 forwards, 12 defensemen and five goalies in camp.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 18, 2007; 5:31 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Night at the Nats
Next: Wednesday Morning GM

Comments

Does that mean that Kyle Wilson is still up with the big club or did I miss his demotion?

Posted by: Blueline | September 18, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I had a similar question about another player. Can someone post a current roster so we don't all end up asking the questions one by one? I'd do it but I'm still at work on the west coast. Thanks!

Posted by: Mike in SF | September 18, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I think the only players previously released were Perrault, Alzner, Godfrey, and Bouchard. So, if you're asking about a player who is not one of those four, and who is not on the list above, it looks like he's still in camp.

Posted by: norske | September 18, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

20 forwards (per Vogel's blog update so I assume that is including Fehr): Backstrom, Bourque, Bradley, Brashear, Clark, Clymer, Fleischmann, B. Gordon, Klepis, Kozlov, Laich, Motzko, Nylander, Ovechkin, Pettinger, Semin, Steckel, Sutherby, Wilson (plus Fehr)

12 d-men: Boumedienne, Eminger, Erskine, Green, Jurcina, Morrisonn, Pokulok, Pollock, Pothier, Poti, Schultz, Sloan

plus the 5 goalies: Kolzig and Johnson plus Cassivi, Machesney and Neuvirth

note: Sloan (AHL contract), Fleischmann (RFA) and Klepis (RFA)

Posted by: sk84fun | September 18, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Great update. So, we've seen the reports for how lines 1-2 might look (in various configurations), but what have you seen in camp for lines 3,4 (and the dreaded "fifth" line)? Same question for D pairs. Those of us who wish we could get away from the office to watch camp thank you in advance...

Posted by: old time hockey | September 18, 2007 6:48 PM | Report abuse

looks like the 3rd n 4th lines are a little crowded....

wonder whoes gonna make the cut???

Posted by: livinit | September 18, 2007 7:51 PM | Report abuse

As for the defense, we can assume Jurcina,
Morrisonn, Pothier and Poti are 1 through 4 (in some order)

That leaves 5 guys fighting for 3 or possibly 4 spots on the big club:

Eminger
Green
Schultz
Erskine
Boumedienne

It'll be fascinating to see who they keep. Unfortunately it may have a lot to do with who can be sent to Hershey without having to clear waivers, and who can't.

I left Pokulok off my list of possibilities for this season -- let's hope he has a big year in Hershey.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | September 18, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

looks like the blue line is a little crowded too...

Posted by: livinit | September 18, 2007 7:56 PM | Report abuse

check out my story for tomorrow's paper ...it answers some questions about the lines.

Posted by: Tarik | September 18, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I've been this pumped preseason in a while! Looking at the people in camp if we can't put together enough talent to make the playoffs even INCLUDING the inevitable injuries then somebody failed.

Hint: It's not GMGM given this bunch we've got to work with...

Random question: Why are all 5 goalies still at camp? Machesney wouldn't be in net for us if the other four were all flying in the same plane and it crashed. I think cujo might actually get a call then... Who's in goal at Hershey's training camp which opened today?

Posted by: Raber | September 18, 2007 9:05 PM | Report abuse

whoops - Thursday... I guess someone's getting cut before then?

Posted by: Raber | September 18, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik -- thanks for all the coverage. I'm old enough to remember having to call 362-4444 to find out the score of Caps games back in the day. We've come a long way!

I do have one question about tomorrow's article. You wrote, "If Clymer doesn't earn a spot on the team -- which seems unlikely at this point -- it's possible he could be traded..."

Is is unlikely that Clymer WILL make the team? Or unlikely that he WON'T make the team? Maybe I'm the only one who's not getting it.

Thanks again!

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | September 18, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

hate to say it, but don't see how bradley or laich can make this team

Posted by: jon | September 18, 2007 9:41 PM | Report abuse

Guess Gordon feels pretty secure as he just bought himself a nice-a$$ (ie, expensive) house!

Posted by: alpca3877 | September 18, 2007 10:37 PM | Report abuse

Oneal, from the article: "Clymer, though, would appear to be a leading candidate to secure one of the positions."

Looks like he's a semi-lock.

I'll echo the sentiment about not having been this excited for the preseason in a long time. My new job has me traveling, but I've got Center Ice and Tivo, so I'll still watch a heck of a lot more Caps games this year than I could catch last year, when MSG was my only source for watching the Caps most of the time.

As a half-hearted blogger lately, it makes me think I could aspire to be a wholehearted hockey blogger this year.

Posted by: Kurt | September 18, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

By that logic, Tarik, the players most likely to be gunning for that last spot in the top six are Clark, Fleischmann, and Klepis? What's your opinion as to how that's going to play out?

Posted by: Bret | September 19, 2007 3:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: The Oracle | September 19, 2007 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, this is off-topic but any idea when you'll resume your weekly online chats?

Posted by: b.orr4 | September 19, 2007 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Are you sure?? He is the new head coach of the Lake Erie Monsters in the AHL.

Posted by: capfan29 | September 19, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

"Well, things just got more interesting... a source of mine said that McPhee just invited recently retired Joe Sacco back for a try-out."

As much as I'd like to see someone from my hometown and my old high school on the Caps, Joe's already got a day job. As previously mentioned, he's the head coach for the AHL Lake Erie Monsters in Cleveland. Who's your source, Eklund?

Posted by: b.orr4 | September 19, 2007 10:14 AM | Report abuse