Caps vs. Habs at Olympic Stadium?

Today's edition of the Globe and Mail says it's possible.

The Montreal Canadiens' regular-season game at Olympic Stadium is expected to be on the agenda when the 2009-10 NHL schedule is released tomorrow.
The final tinkering to the 92nd NHL regular season will be made in the next 24 hours, but a league source indicated yesterday that a Habs home game against the Washington Capitals and star sniper Alex Ovechkin "is still in the mix for late November."
The indoor game at Olympic Stadium is expected to be contested on Nov. 28 or the previous Saturday to help commemorate the Canadiens' centennial celebrations that will conclude on Dec. 5 with a match against the rival Boston Bruins at the Bell Centre.

It's not the Winter Classic. It's not even outdoors. But it could, in some small measure, make up for the Caps likely being frozen out of the New Year's Day game at Fenway Park in Boston.

I just arrived at KCI for development camp and none of the Caps officials can confirm the report. But that doesn't mean the game won't be on the schedule when it's announced tomorrow.

So stay tuned.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 14, 2009; 10:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Re-Sign Gordon
Next: Olympic Stadium Update

Comments

Whats the olympic stadium?

Posted by: gocaps01 | July 14, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

The stadium used during the Montreal Olympics? Also the former home of the Expos/Nationals?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 14, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I disagree, it will not make up even a millimeter for being booted out of the Winter Classic. It will get zero attention in the US outside of DC.

Posted by: gfreader | July 14, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

The CFL's Alouettes play there too sometimes, although its not their home field.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 14, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

This would be great, but I hope it's not Thanksgiving weekend! The Caps traditionally are home that weekend, with games on Wednesday and Friday. I hate changing tradition..

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | July 14, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The NHL could stand to have 2 outdoor games a year. The Winter classis now on January 1st and a 2nd starting at Noon on Super Bowl sunday when everyone hates the 5 hour pregame show and some people would tune it in just to have a game to watch and maybe grow the fan base.

Posted by: RichC3 | July 14, 2009 10:31 AM | Report abuse

The Canadiens might want to schedule that special game vs a team they can beat.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 14, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Aww, it sounds like they want Ovi at their birthday party. Maybe he'll wear a party hat on the ice.

Posted by: pstenigma | July 14, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town: That is funny -- "a team they can beat".

Posted by: uncatim | July 14, 2009 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"The Canadiens might want to schedule that special game vs a team they can beat."

No problem. The league will just assign McCreary and Dvorski to officiate the game, and voila .... Habs win, Habs win!

;o)

Posted by: PensFan98 | July 14, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

From Previous thread...

Anyone here think Gordo might just enjoy being with the Caps? Perhaps he could have gotten a little more money elsewhere, but he's been with this organization his whole career, labored through the rebuild, and now is on a playoff team that has a chance to do something special.

Posted by: cainoo7x | July 14, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree! I think he, like B Morrison, see great potential with the caps and realizes that money is not everything...

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

They can market the game the Giants vs Les Midgets.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 14, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Buuuuuulllllll crap. Buuuuuuuulllll crap.

We know how this goes. How many rumors surrounded the caps last season that turned out to be false. Let's see, Caps at the Garden, Guerin to the Caps, just to name a couple.

Bunk.

Posted by: blanknerc | July 14, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Caps will open with a 4 game series vs Pittsburgh...Bring it...Knuble Time...

Posted by: SA-Town | July 14, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

So who are they saying will be in the Winter Classic with Boston...Philly? What is the draw for that game? One would think a match up between 1st and 2nd would be a bit more entertaining?!? Is there conformation on who it will be or is it all just speculation. NHL.com sure is showing a alot of Ovie info and videos since they posted the info on the "announcent"...which is suspect. We won't know for sure until tomorrow. But, either way I could care less about some anniversary game in Canada.

Posted by: NatyBG | July 14, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Who the F cares really? I can understand if you're a fan not in DC since the W.C. is a game you're sure to get to see, but really W.C. or not, or this new thing with Montreal, doesn't matter, it's just another game, we don't gain or lose any extra points, just 2 for a win, 1 for getting to OT and Losing and nothing for a regulation loss

Posted by: superpaqman | July 14, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

superpaqman....

Are you sure we get nothing for a regulation loss?

Posted by: SA-Town | July 14, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

fyi-- Rangers trade Lauri Korpikoski to Don Maloney's Phx Coyotes for Enver Lisin.

Looks like a good deal for Phx. Maloney was the guy who drafted LK

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

From Previous thread...

Posted by: cainoo7x | July 14, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Right, b/c I'm sure teams are beating down Gordo's door trying to sign him to a long term lucrative contract.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Is there anything that makes the folks on this board happy? I see nothing but complaints and "bellyachin". I will watch the CAPS wherever and whomever they play and not B***H about it.

Posted by: CapCenterholdover | July 14, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if this would make it more difficult to get into a future winter classic.

(Related?) Aren't we due for an All Star Game or a Draft? I guess I should be happy we don't need "saving".?

Posted by: megatroll1 | July 14, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

My comment was geared more towards B. Morrison that Gordo.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 14, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

From Previous thread...

Posted by: cainoo7x | July 14, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 14, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

just like i'm sure there are teams beating down your door for personnel advice.

nobody is saying gordon would be signed to a long term deal w/ any team. the point is, he's pretty cheap and no doubt would have been able to get a little more money on a one/two year deal with another team. but that would involve some risk and it might be with the senators or lightning or some other crappy team. he most likely stayed for less because it was less risk and he's on a good team w/ a chance to win a cup.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 14, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Sa-

Hilarious. As always. The jabs probaby picked the caps so they could be featured in a highlight reel... Even if it's for Ovie's next amazing goal.

Posted by: mrszilla | July 14, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

'm not sure why Dovgan isn't there. He's signed through next season, but I can't find anything about him lately. His last game was March 21 with SC. I've found nothing about an injury, he just disappears. If he wasn't injured and got pushed off the depth chart in SC, its possible he's not progressing at the pace the Caps feel is appropriate and are no longer interested. Or it could be an injury I can't find and he and the team felt it was best for him to skip camp for rest & rehab. Or he was invited, but couldn't attend for some other reason? He trained with Ovi last summer, not that that means anything.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | July 14, 2009 2:00 AM

Didn't he miss rookie camp 2 years ago and kind of snubbed the team? I remember him and Varly staying to play in the RSL, right? Varlamov was expected to stay over in Russia, but wasn't Dovgan supposed to show up and didn't?

I also remember that he trained with Ovie heavily last year. I remember a ton of pictures surfacing up. Like you said, I cannot find anything about an injury, so I have no idea.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't the All-Star at MCI not too many years ago? I'm thinking within the last 10-15 years, MCI hosted one right? MCI/Verizon has only been there..what..12 years? Something like that.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2009 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Obviously meant "habs" not "jabs"....

Posted by: mrszilla | July 14, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Nope, I'm wrong. Am I thinking about the Wizards and the NBA All-Star? I think so...

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

After reading about the first two days of development camp - I have a question.

One of the big reasons GMGM didn't go after Pronger or other deadline trades is that it would have cost us one of our young goalies - either Varly or Nuvi. That made sense at the time. What I didn't know was that we had ANOTHER solid tender in the system in Holtby.

So here is my question - why are we holding on to three stud goaltenders?

Posted by: patrone | July 14, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

richmond, nhl all star game was at cap centre in 82. the nba allstar game was at verizon a few years ago. you can be sure the nhl all star game will not be here until ted gets control of the VC.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | July 14, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I wiki'd it. I was thinking about the NBA All-Star a few years back.
________________________________________

So here is my question - why are we holding on to three stud goaltenders?

Posted by: patrone | July 14, 2009 12:35 PM |

What sample do you have that Holtby and Nuevy will be solid? Neither of them are ready for big time. None of them are studs except Varlamov.

Also, getting Pronger would have meant a lot more than trading prospects we didn't want to, we also had no cap space to work with. yeah, we could waive a bunch of people to clear space and then lose them too and then what do we have? Chris Pronger and a incomplete lineup.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 14, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

also, what happened to Justin Taylor? Why isn't he in camp? I thought he was tearing it up in the OHL.

Posted by: Andoy | July 14, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

So here is my question - why are we holding on to three stud goaltenders?

Posted by: patrone | July 14, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

It was more than just a goalie thing - I'm pretty sure they also asked for Carlson. Twice. First at the deadline and then later in the offseason. I would not have given up Carlson for Pronger.

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andoy | July 14, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

He was. And he plays RW and Center. He raised his goal point totals and his PIMs. We had two prospects whom we let go without signing - both of whom probably deserved contracts - Justin Taylor and Brett Leffler. Leffler is more of a 3rd/4th line prospect with strong leadership skills. Taylor is a tall skinny kid who needs to put on more weight but he skates well and amped up his scoring the last 2 seasons and he loves to hit and stir it up. He's like a Corey Perry type.

But...the Caps had no room to offer more contracts so they chose not to sign those 2 players. Leffler ended up getting invited to Chicago's camp, not sure about Justin T

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2009 1:23 PM | Report abuse

If one of our goalies flames out, we need the other ones to be waiting and ready.

Also, did you guys hear about Tallon getting fired? Whoops!

Posted by: thiazzi | July 14, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of TWO Winter Classic games ... on January 1, and on Super Bowl Sunday.

But work it out so the match-ups are this:

Montreal AT Boston
Washington AT Philly

Now that is hockey worth watching!

Posted by: Cerealman | July 14, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

this kid's got a pretty good rundown on Caps prospects and their respective contracts

Posted by: cstanton1 | July 14, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

RE: Tallon getting fired. How about the Caps picking up Towes at the trade deadline. The Hawks now have no room to sign him and Kane. Then Semin could play with that interesting guy......lol

Posted by: RichC3 | July 14, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Is it just me, or does this feel like getting the take home version of a game show instead of winning the big prize (winter classic)

Posted by: SombreroGuy | July 14, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Yes. "Knuble Time" made me immensely happy.

If SA-Town prints T-shirts, I'll buy one.

-----

Is there anything that makes the folks on this board happy?

Posted by: JohninMpls | July 14, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alexanderperlmutter | July 14, 2009 6:36 PM | Report abuse

yes there are things on this board that makes me happy.The most important one IS BEING A CAPS FAN!everyone here needs to remember the bads days,and keep looking to the best future this club has ever enjoyed.

Posted by: just_call_me_shell | July 14, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse