Caps won't look ahead until they're done with Montreal

Tonight at Verizon Center the Caps can accomplish something they haven't managed to do in 12 years: Win a playoff series in five games.

The last time they did it was against the Senators in the spring of 1998 - the same year the Caps made the franchise's only Stanley Cup finals appearance.

A win wouldn't just give them significantly more rest -- the next round wouldn't begin until Thursday or Friday -- it would also set up an semifinal matchup against the rival injury-plagued Flyers, who eliminated the Devils in five games Thursday night despite losing star forwards Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter to foot injuries.

"We've never had [this] opportunity," said Coach Bruce Boudreau, whose teams in Washington have never played fewer than seven games in a series (three times). "Tonight is baptism under fire with this group as far as having a lead in the playoffs and seeing if we can finish it.

"We don't want to give them life," he added. "I'm sure Pittsburgh didn't want to give Ottawa life. In the end, we just have to be ready and prepared and not take anything for granted."

Semyon Varlamov will start in goal and the forward lines, based on the morning skate, will remain the same as Game 4. The only question is whether defenseman Shaone Morrisonn will be able to suit up. He told me he'll be a game-time decision.

If Morrisonn can't play, he'll be replaced by Tyler Sloan again.

Jaroslav Halak, meanwhile, is expected to return to the Habs' net tonight after Carey Price yielded four goals Wednesday, including goals on back-to-back shots 52 seconds apart in a pivotal third period.

Price, of course, also received a pair of unsportsmanlike penalties -- one for firing the puck at the Caps' goal celebration and the other for taking a swipe at Nicklas Backstrom with his stick from the bench.

"It's frustration," Boudreau said of Price. "He wanted to, but he held back. It was just a little love tap."

Backstrom said he was surprised but amused.

"That was the first time," he said with a chuckle. "I felt it. I didn't know it was the goalie. It's not a big deal."

While it's unclear whether Price's late meltdown had anything to do with the switch, the Caps didn't sound overly concerned about who's starting in net for the Habs.

They're just worried about finishing off an opponent they know will be more desperate tonight than ever.

"Closing games are very difficult because the team you're facing, it's the end of the line for them," Mike Knuble said. "So you know you're going to see a good effort."

Brooks Laich added: "They're going to play loose and carefree and they're not going to hold anything back. I watched a hockey game last night where Ottawa played that way. They played with fire and passion and desire to win and I think they outworked the other team. Montreal is going to come in a down the same thing. We're going to have to be at our best."

Laich reiterated his coach's sentiments about not overlooking the Habs. But he also acknowledged the importance of keeping pace with potential second-round opponents.

"You can't look at what's going to happen down the road," he said. "That means you're totally disrespecting the team you're playing right now. That being said, you want to keep pace -- it's the same during the regular season -- with the top teams. With the teams that move onto the next round, you want to be right there with them."

Some other notes and quotes from KCI:

*Canadiens defenseman Jaroslav Spacek did not make the trip to Washington and will miss his second straight game.

*Boudreau on Backstrom, who is second behind Sidney Crosby in points (13-9) and tied with Crosby for the league lead in goals (5): "He's always going to be overshadowed Every team has one player who gets the attention. And another good player or two or [more] who gets overlooked. Nicky is a guy who gets overlooked a little bit because of Alex."

*Boudreau on the Flyers advancing past the second seeded Devils: "They played great. They looked like a team that's really committed to what they're doing. When you've got guys like Ian [Laperriere] blocked shots like that, and still coming back. Whoever plays them is going to have a tough assignment."

Then Boudreau caught himself.

"I don't know why you're asking me Flyers questions," he said. "I'm not worried about the Flyers. I'm worried about the Montreal Canadiens."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 23, 2010; 1:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin on spraying young Habs fan with ice: 'I just do it all the time'
Next: Tonight's lineup: Canadiens at Caps

Comments

i think you meant spacek not halak will miss his second straight game

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Laperriere's face looks like it came through a meat grinder...

If I saw him on the street I would call the police.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 23, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

BB is so adorable!!! I just finished his book and feel I understand his personality even better now...he REALLY hate Sean Avery!

I hope the Caps are focused on this game...let BB worry about the Flyers!

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Then Boudreau caught himself.

that's right BB, don't worry about the flyers till tomorrow :)

then we'll start talking about the smelly goons who badly need a shave and a haircut...

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, is anyone else on here already worried about tonight's game. This is a change for me too. Years ago, even when the Caps went to the Finals, I was always content with the Caps winning a certain amount of games and just making a good showing. I never got nervous back then because advancing in the playoffs was gravy. Now I expect more and now I find myself getting nervous. I need to get back to a place where I can enjoy these games relatively stress free. My first step would probably be to stop reading these message boards because I think I get nervous for the team because I know if they lose they will get trashed by their own fans.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

can someone please inform me of what's going on w/erskine and why he's not getting into a game? he's not listed as injured, but i haven't seen him since 1st pd. of the last pitts. game....if he's not injured, i suppose he's a cancer in the locker room (or has some serious personal issues) and we've seen the last of him in a caps sweater :( anyone know?

Posted by: vermontcaps | April 23, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps: Not at all. He just doesn't match up well against the Canadiens. If we advance and play the Philly you will see a lot more of the Lumberjack.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I assume Erskine is not playing because he is too slow against the little but quick Habs...If we make it to the 2nd round i would think we see him there.

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps

the lumberjack isn't a locker room cancer. The habs just have some small, quick, shifty forwards that he doesn't do to well with. If ShaMo is still hurts AND we advance to play the flyers, big john will be in there

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps: Erskine as you know is a gritty d-man. He does not have the speed or quickness to be effective against the small and quick Habs line-up. If the Caps advance to the next round I would venture to say you would see Erskine in the line-up rather than Sloan if ShaMo is still out. Right now, it's all about beating Montreal and Erskine doesn't have the tools to be effective.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | April 23, 2010 1:24 PM

yeah i heard he was selling team jock straps on ebay and he got busted!

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

again regardless of who plays D tonight.....CAPS WIN 5-2

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

(j/k - thought it was funny we all said the same exact thing at the same time)

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

@beaupre33: I think I would clasify that as a serious personal issue. Haha.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

VarlyisNarly: Yeah, right? It was basically a repost by 4 different posters. I imagine others would have seen the same response but figured why give the same answer 5 times.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

vermontcaps, He will be in if and when the Caps finsih off the Canadiens. They simply have too much speed for the lumberjack but his services will be needed in a big way against the goonish play of Philly. That is my take on the situation anyway.

Posted by: PhilR | April 23, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

geez, I was a little late with my comment!!

Posted by: PhilR | April 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to make NAMBA stickers with Lemieux and Crosby in them. Man Boy love club. who wants one, eh?

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

BTW - I was reading, but didn't get to post on a previous thread regarding new Caps fans.

I think the leaning issue is by far the worst of the worst. I don't have season tickets, but only cause I can't afford them right now, but I grew up going to games and stuff. I went to game one at the Phonebooth this year and dropped some cash to go with my fiance. The whole time we are there I'm stuck behind season ticket holders who leaned completely forward the entire time. I was in the fifth row so I figured asking them to lean back was fine, but they got so pissed when I told them I couldn't see anything beyond the blue line cause they leaned forward so far. I couldn't believe it! One of the women there even had a big red feather hat on. I'm all for rocking the red and wearing cool/crazy red things, but COME ON! Not at the expense of everyone else.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else think Sloan looked terrible WEdnesday! But I do agree he is a better choice than Erskine...he is too slow, but like 500 of you have said before...we will c him in a Flyers match up.

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Congrats to Green for being a Norris finalist for the second year in a row.

Take it home tonight boys.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Do Crosby still live with Lemieux? Because that's just weird.

Posted by: capscoach | April 23, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Lappy's face has been a mangled mess for a long time.

Posted by: coolcraig | April 23, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Someone brought up a good point on the goal that changed game 4. Sloan controlled the forward by taking him to the boards and Semin took off with the puck, carried out of the zone, through the neutral zone, into the offensive zone and had it poke-checked to Ovi and Ovi....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Could argue that if not for Sloan that play doesn't happen.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 23, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

if I saw Lappy's and his face on the street, I'd call an ambulance.

Posted by: coolcraig | April 23, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

again regardless of who plays D tonight.....CAPS WIN 5-2

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 1:30 PM |

Thou steve has written, and thou it shall be.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

The problem is, it takes longer to get from the entrance to your seat than the break in play lasts ...
Posted by: timmyv38 | April 23, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse
---------
Not exactly. The problem is that they continue to allow people to head to their seats even when it is obvious that the play is about to resume. Nobody is going to make to their seat in less than 5 seconds so somebody's view will always be obscured.

This is a problem that could be easily solved. TV timeouts are rigidly timed and it is fairly simple to predict the length of an icing stoppage. All they would have to do is install a little red/green light in every tunnel. Make it red while the puck is in play and 20 seconds before the puck is put into play. Problem fixed!

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | April 23, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes. Crosby still sleeps with Lemieux. Ugh I shutter at the mental picture.

Posted by: coolcraig | April 23, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@ vermontcaps

because Erskine is the 8th d-man on the team.

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

If we play the Flyers, we'll definitely see Erskine on the ice.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 23, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | April 23, 2010 1:53 PM |

Or, let the hundred or so people keep their jobs and just train them better.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes leaning can be quite an annoyance. You can either say something to piss someone off or just watch the big screen. make your choice.....

Posted by: coolcraig | April 23, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

They could just install catheters on each seat and then no one has to get up at all.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 1:37 PM

-------

How do you know they were season ticket holders?
That could never happen in section 400. We keep order there.
What section were you?

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | April 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

sloan definitely played a part in that goal, and Semin's play up ice was a very strong talented play. He was strong on the puck the whole way.

"So does anyone think Erskine would be in the lineup if we get through to the next round?"

yes, when we're down in the series. Thats when Bruce starts shuffling in players on the 4th line and the bottom 3rd pairing. Even if we win a game 7-6, Bruce will generally not change the lineup. He waits till we lose a game, whether its 3-2 or 6-5 before he starts making changes.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | April 23, 2010 1:53 PM

How about hiring ushers that know what to do? That would be easier and cheaper than lights! The section next to ours, guaranteed after 2nd or 3rd.. is just a flow of people. even when people are yelling; the same people are up and down the aisles.

the same lax work ethic also allows us to sneak down below to the 100 sections from time to time.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

They had a whole row of people that apparently knew eachother from seeing eachother at all the games. I heard them chatting about being at the different games this season, etc, etc.

I was in 421. I actually looked over at my fiance half way through and said this is why we should have just decided to really get better tickets in 400, or even down on the 100s, where people spend enough money to care about other people's experiences as well.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

All of the planets are aligning....
-No Spacek tonight
-Fragile Halak is back
-Insane crowd at Verizon on a friday night
-no more Devils (3-1 against the Caps)
-Gagne and Carter gone for the Flyers
-Ottawa putting up a fight tiring the pens
-Boston could clinch their series tonight
The road is being paved to the Cup.

Posted by: coolcraig | April 23, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

421! haha that's where the ushers suck!

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

NOT IF but when they're down in the series, huh... thanks for the vote of confidence but then again, why should we expect anything more from you?

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 2:04 PM |

I can't afford STH anymore either, and I live in Richmond. But when I do go, I get tickets from a STH in 408.

I never go to the "other side", near the 420s.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Right now the ushers are technically doing exactly as they have been instructed which is not to let anybody pass when the puck is in play. But, what about the 1 to 20 seconds before the puck is dropped? That is what I'd like to see fixed.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | April 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I bet you have a fathead poster of Dave Schultz on your wall too

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I bet you have a fathead poster of Dave Schultz on your wall too

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:08 PM

does your dad piss in your cheerios every morning?

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | April 23, 2010 2:08 PM

well that's just common sense. but that's asking a bit much from them. i'm sure the union prevents them from doing extra work aside from shunning people from puck in play.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Yep, I tried to buy those tickets to save some dough. I actually live in the district and make it to about 5-10 games a year. I usually try to sit on the "caps shoot twice" side or in the middle, but decided to save a few dollars and get closer seats on the "other side". Bad choice, I'll never do it again. I was almost sorry I went, having to deal with those people. From now on, I either buy good seats or I watch it at home.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I tried to save some cash by getting those seats, but never again. I usually sit on the other side or in the middle, but tickets were so expensive. I live in the district and usually go to 5-10 games a year, but I've never sat over on that side. I never will again. I either get good seats or I watch it from my couch.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Like BB, I'm not thinking about the Flyers or the Pens or any other d*** thing (though that was one mighty game last night, full props to both teams). I'm thinking about just one thing, and that is sending the Canadiens to find their golf clubs. Forget the rest.

Tonight - folks, this is important. If you have tickets to the game or have a friend who does, pass this on: Everybody sing BOTH anthems, loudly and proudly and with no booing or stupid nonsense. That tradition was started in WWI to remember the absent troops and carries on today for a reason. Let's show the Habs fans how it's done.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm pretty pleased with the ushers who frequent my section. Let's have a little respect.

The Hab's fan who does the SB Nation site for Montreal pointed out that the thing that has allowed our first line to have so much success is keeping them matched up against anyone but Markov. While we were worried about Hamrlik/Spacek (at least I was), Markov has had enormous success against Ovi historically and ALL of Backstrom and Ovi's playoff goals have come against other D-men.

How BB managed that on the road is impressive, but particularly with Spacek out and Hamrlik having a weak series, there should be increasing time and space for the Caps' stars to find the room they need. With the number of goals we've managed in our wins they are also ceding us a lot more ice.

Posted by: Justafan | April 23, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

are you a closet Flyers lover like cstanton1??

actually your wife does that for me every morning

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

If you've ever stopped to talk to any of the ushers, you are likely to find a really nice person who knows nearly nothing about hockey. If you ask them to think any further than a red/green light, any plan will fail. It took nearly two full seasons to teach them to hold up a stop sign and most of them still can't/won't do it right! Heck, you can't even get them to show up for work half the time. I've been to several games where only every third portal on the upper level was manned.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | April 23, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Justafan

Nope. sorry. Not the ones in my section. The one dude spends more time watching the game down in row a/b while people are walking behind him up the steps.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I bet you have a fathead poster of Dave Schultz on your wall too

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:08 PM

does your dad piss in your cheerios every morning?

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:10 PM

Number 33, leaving the crease, third man in... two minute minor and a game misconduct!

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 23, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

There has got to be a way to get certain posters banned from here. Some of the stuff is getting beyond ridiculous!

Posted by: PhilR | April 23, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

are you a closet Flyers lover like cstanton1??

actually your wife does that for me every morning

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:18 PM

wow where do you come up with these awesome attempt at insults? ok, my wife pisses in your cheerios. hmmm makes sense.

ok stupiiiiidheaaaaaad! don't call me a dumbface next!

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

thanks everyone for your responses; i hope you're right about seeing him again this year; i disagree that he can't hold his own against the habs anyless than sloan or even shultz....i love what carkner did for ottawa last night; erskine could be for us what carkner is for them (and he plays every game!)...thanks again all for responding, GO CAPS!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | April 23, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

hey igor i didn't leave my crease, that's bs man

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

ok stupiiiiidheaaaaaad! don't call me a dumbface next!

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:22 PM

Hahaha

Posted by: richmondphil | April 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

why don't you do us all a favor and know WTF you're talking about??

it was NOT even about you, it was about cstanton1... if you wanna but in on his behalf, you MUST be a flyers lover like him

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

why don't you do us all a favor and know what the heck you're talking about???

it wasn't even about you, it was about cstanton1 but if you wanna but in on his behalf, you must be a flyers lover like him... right??

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

but in = butt in

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Based on what I've seen in 429, it goes both ways. The ushers could stop people sooner to make sure that there is more time for them to get upstairs, but some people are also just incredibly, seriously slow about it. I've had several incidents in the A-B rows below me where there's an argument over who sits where and everybody is standing for a good five minutes trying to get it sorted out. Would you all please just sit down so the rest of us can see and sort it out at the first TV timeout?

There are also a certain group of people with tickets in the nosebleeds who seem to have a real problem climbing stairs. In all seriousness and with no rancor - if stairs are difficult enough for you that you need to take several minutes to climb to your seat, work your way in, and sit down, there are sections of seats meant for easier accessibility. That's what they're there for.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 23, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I don't sit in the 400's....

I would rather watch the game on my computer than sit in the 400's...

Just sayin..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

why should any caps fan be upset about making fun of Dave Schultz??

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 1:59 PM

---------------------------------

@VarlyisNarly:

Düüüde, that is unbelievably wrong on so many levels, and just plain gross...

Funny, but gross.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

On the usher issue. Having worked for a sports team and having to deal with usher assignements I know how much of a pain it can be. The team I worked for had a policy where we had to get those who had worked the longest more games and could not fire them for doing something similar to what Beaupre33 taked about because they knew the season ticket holders and the team cared about making their experience better more then individual game attendees.

Not saying that is a great way to have it but teams care about those who are giving them a steady income because they are the ones who give them money if the team is winning or losing.

Posted by: icehammer97 | April 23, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

why don't you do us all a favor and know what the heck you're talking about???

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:28 PM

Great insults, really. They are so bad that they are awesome. Award goes to Joe Kim, most angry, annoying, but the man with the best insults on this blog.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

why don't you do us all a favor and know what the heck you're talking about???

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:28 PM

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@vermontcaps: Ottawa doesn't have the luxury of suiting Dmen to the team they're playing - the Caps are deep enough to get away with it. Carkner was awesome last night, but he was fortunate as well.

I have no doubt that should we see the Pennsylvania Road Cones in the second round, we'll see both Oisk and Scotty Walker.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 23, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

I'm pretty sure BB made the switch of Theo to Varly and Steckel to Gordon after the 6-5 win in game 2. Thoughts?

Posted by: sgm3 | April 23, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I'm a STH in 111..no problems there. Oh yea and don't piss off that big bald headed guy down by the penalty box...I've seen him toss a few retards.

And speaking of obscuring views...where's the Space Man?? Haven't seen him in a while.

Posted by: Iceman10 | April 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Either way, the Boston Bruins commercials are hilarious. They had one where the Bruin slapped a fan that had his jersey tucked in as he came out of the bathroom. Caps should do some PSAs.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

you gotta be the biggest joker on here... you decide to butt in on someone else's argumjent, start to insult and say I'm angry?

LOL is there something going on between you and cstanton1? friends, lovers perhaps??

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I saw this interesting comment on Hbas Inside Out:

"Looking for a hopeful precedent? Stop being delusional!

"But ... Montreal did come back from a 3-1 deficit in the first round of the 2004 playoffs when the 7th seeded Canadiens met the 2nd seeded Bruins.

"After losing the first two games in Boston, Montreal got back into the series with a 3-2 Game 3 win in Montreal. Then followed one of the most crushing losses ever suffered by the Habs. Old friend Mike Knuble tied the game with 30 seconds in regulation. Ten minutes into the 2nd OT period, Glen Murray took advantage of a mixup between Sheldon Souray and Alex Kovalev to break in alone on Jose Theodore and bury the game winner. (You may remember that Kovalev stopped skating, looking for a slashing call that never came.)

"The Habs looked dead, but miraculously stormed back in Game 5, smacking down Boston 5-1. Back home for Game 6 Montreal was again dominant in a 5-2 win that evened up the series 3-3.

"With momentum firmly on their side, Montreal won Game 7 in Boston 2-0. Theodore was outstanding in goal and Alex Kovalev fed Richard Zednick for both of his 3d period goals, including the empty-netter that sealed the deal.

"It was the first (and only) time Montreal has returned from a 3-1 deficit to win a playoff series.

"We can dream, can't we?"

I didn't realize that Knuble did that to Theodore.

Posted by: phillyreader | April 23, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

All kidding aside, I think many of these problems are solved when fans--new and old fans alike--come to the games because they genuinely want to enjoy the game and support the team.

Not just so that they'll be able to impress their friends by saying that they were there.

People who move about when they shouldn't, lean, gab about non-hockey matters, and text/yakk on cell phones when the puck is in play--IMHO--all fall into the latter category.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

are you a closet Flyers lover like cstanton1??

actually your wife does that for me every morning

- like i said. greatest. insult. ever. my wife pisses in your cheerios. like whoa.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40: I have no issue with the people texting during play - they're not disrupting anyone else's enjoyment of the game, so if they're that married to their phone, let it be. I agree with everything else you said, though.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 23, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

why don't you tell me why you were so upset by me making fun of cstanton1 and Dave Schultz??

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I saw Capstronaut a few rows behind the Habs bench in Game 2.

Posted by: EricinReston | April 23, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Someone was wondering about Capstronaut? Here he is in all his drunken glory.

Posted by: NARCF | April 23, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I loathe Pittsburgh more so than Philly. Trying to insult me by saying that I'm a closet Philly fan is quite humorous.

I'm a closet Montreal fan. oooooh.

I'm heading to downtown pretty soon to pregame; have fun everyone.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Iceman10, dorky astronaut was at Game 2.

For the record, I am a closet Flyers fan but I hate Cheerios. Wait, wrong discussion.

Leaners are the only thing that bothers me and I generally just tap the person on the shoulder and it's cool. Oh wait, I lied, anyone with a peircing voice sitting behind chatting nonstop about who knows what does bother me.

That's all.

413 is ready. Shake hands, end it.

Posted by: saintex | April 23, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

This is a little like winning the Special Olympics.

Posted by: kittypawz | April 23, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

also I don't know what your problem is but we're gonna settle this right now... I wasn't even talking to you and you decided to butt in outta the blue and start to insult

tell me why you were upset by me and cstanton1 arguing about his love for the flyers or BUTT OUT of someone else's arguments on here

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

soaringcrap:

i am a STH on the 400 level, 421 to be exact. i'll take my upper level tix over you soiled chair in front of your computer ANYDAY

Posted by: doughless | April 23, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

@VarlyisNarly: don't be so sure that the 100 level seats are that much better. At game 1 I was in 108, right next to the goal, and the person in front of me jumped up every single time the Caps had anything close to a scoring opportunity. He was in row G, so once he got up, everyone else had to as well. But hockey is so fast that by the time I (and everyone else) reacted, the play was over.

@iceman10: I saw the Capstronaut in section 100 or 101 during game 1. I didn't notice him during game 2, but I wasn't really looking.

Posted by: Steph22 | April 23, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Kitty,
That's pretty cold.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | April 23, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I know we've all probably said this, and some of us are tired of hearing it, but when are we going to have a live chat on here again?

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | April 23, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@soaringcaps

I would rather watch the game on my computer than sit in the 400's...

I don't buy that for one second. 400s are great because you can see the whole play develope. They aren't the best seats in the VC (IMO club level are the best), but I'm pretty sure they are better than the computer

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I promise I can spell....no "e" on develop

Posted by: _stevo | April 23, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

"too many Space Martinis..." LMAO

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

joek must have been weaned off his mama's t_t a little early in life. Or too late...either way he has issues.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I think the PSAs for new Caps fans would be a good idea. Like metro does to tell people to stand on the right of the escalators and walk on the left. The Caps should start a series of videos to "coach" all the new hockey fans on how to be a good fan.

I.E. - Videos of when it's appropriate to leave or return to seats, not leaning, don't chat on your cell phone, when to cheer, when to heckle the goalie. Those would be great and funny for people who know the customs, while informative for those who don't.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I don't sit in the 400's....

I would rather watch the game on my computer than sit in the 400's...

Just sayin..

Posted by: SoaringCaps | April 23, 2010 2:31 PM

You've never watched a game from up there then - much better than the lower level. You can actually see all of the ice at once, which you can't do from home OR the lower level. It's MUCH easier to see a play developing.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 23, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@VarlyisNarly:

I like it.

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 23, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

200 level seats are by far the best seats in the house. If you can get tickets for the first few rows of the second level, AWESOME. My fiance and I went to a game the day I proposed and we sat in the 200 section in the 2nd row. IT WAS AWESOME!

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

lol, i love how upset you get. Its funny

And does your wife pee in your cheerios? man, that is wack!! I knew you always had a bit o p_ss n vinegar in ya but I thought it was your OWN.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

LOL, lots of love on the board today.

400 level corners and center ice are not bad. End sections are the worst because people always stand up when play is by the goal. I've always wondered why the corners are cheaper than the ends when they're the better seats.

Posted by: letsgocaps3 | April 23, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

not as much as you tho because I've gotten over having a man-crush on a bunch of smellly goons disguised as a hockey players... a.k.a. the flyers

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 3:24 PM

I'd be all for it lol. Last season was the first time I started regularly attending games, and I just picked stuff up from people around me. Now I get asked stuff by newbies.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 23, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I text all the time during the game when I'm at VC. I didn't think it made someone less of a fan. Some people just have a lot going on, others don't I guess. 9 times out of 10 I'm texting my wife or a friend about the game.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 23, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: letsgocaps3 | April 23, 2010 3:29 PM

I would have to disagree. Last season, I was in 406, a corner section. This season, I'm in 409, right above the goal the Caps shoot on twice, and we never have problems with that. But the one time I sat at center in the 400's was the best. The worst - when I was in the 100's, 5 rows back from the glass in the corner. Had to watch most of the game on the Jumbotron.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 23, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't think texting is a problem. It doesn't bother me at all. Talking on the phone loudly is definitely a problem though, although Lloyd, I know that's not what you're talking about.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

joek, cstanton - would both of you just shut up? This is the most childish argument I've ever seen.

Posted by: timmyv38 | April 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I can smell it...

Posted by: tim29 | April 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

so who do you have on your walls, cstanton1?

Dave Schultz, Dave Brown, Berube, Tocchet... who else??

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________

You can sell them right next to my "Semin All Over You!" ... T-shirts.

Speaking of which... Semin should be sat to get his head in the game... I'd rather a gritty forward like Walker or someone who fricken cares.

Posted by: tony325 | April 23, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

@timmyv: You're right about being down in the first few rows of the 100 section. I had never sat there before when my girlfriend bought me tickets in the second row by the penalty box. It was cool to sit that close and I got a picture with Brash in the Sin Bin, but when ever the puck went along the boards or into the corner I had to strain my neck to see the jumbo tron. The 200-level provides the perfect combination of height to see the play develop and being close to the action.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Gee, bad attitudes today. Let's all hold hands in a circle and sing "ole ole ole ole ole" to serenade the Habs and their lame fans off to the golf course

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 23, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

What's with the "ole" song? I don't get this one.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

The Ole Song is an old soccer song that Habs fans swiped and made their own. I don't get the connection either, but makes as much sense as Caps fans shouting "OOOOOO" during the national anthem (which was swiped from Baltimore and stands for Orioles)

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 23, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 23, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

_________________________________

why am I not surprised that you're familiar with that group?

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm beginning to wish this comments section had an ignore button

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 23, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

wow - this has got to be one of the silliest 'off topic' topics i've read here in a while - very entertaining though
i'm guessing most are feeling good about the caps chances tonight since there isn't a lot of chatter about the actual game

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | April 23, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

@Tempus: I agree about the ignore button. I know the soccer version of the song. I'm a soccer player, and that is why I was a bit suprised to hear it at the games. You're right about the OOOOO w/ the anthem. I remember hearing that at the O's games and thinking it was as stupid, and disrespectful, then as I do know.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

...as I do now. (not know)

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Senators in the spring of 1998 was last time we won a series in 5.
I was there...ahhhh...starting to feel like 98 again.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Senators in the spring of 1998 was last time we won a series in 5.
I was there...ahhhh...starting to feel like 98 again.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 23, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VarlyisNarly

It is disrespectful but mostly it annoys me because A) it has nothing to do with hockey B) it has nothing to do with Washington DC and C) it has nothing to do with the Capitals. Frankly it's embarrassing and I have to wonder if the people who shout it know why they are doing it, and do it just because everyone else is. In Dallas they shout out "STARS!" whenever that is mentioned in the song. I have an idea. Why not just listen respectfully or sing along?

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 23, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@Tempus: I agree with you 100%. I have less of a problem with people shouting the RED part, similar to Dallas shouting STARS! I still think it is stupid, and I don't participate. I look at it with the same argument as the Canadiens' booing of the U.S. anthem. The anthem does not have anything to do with the team, therefore while the anthem is playing, be respectful and separate that from cheering for your team. Just my thoughts.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 23, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I personally love O Canada and always sing it whenever I hear it. When friends and family ask me why I do that I say "you have to know all the words to O Canada if you're a hockey fan". I'm reminded of the Cheers episode when Carla lost her goalie husband in a Zamboni accident. She started to sing their song which was O Canada

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 23, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Semin:
When I saw Semin's toe drag aka curl-and-drag live and from the 3rd row at VC I became an instant fan. I hope he gets going soon. I may be prejudiced, but I hope BB doesn't take him out of the line-up. He gets a lot of attention from the other team for a reason. He is world class talent. But, I know why the detractors are out. He hasn't produced and he needs to and I understand that.

Regarding former Flyers players:
Should the Caps advance of course I want the Caps to win. However, the Flyers alumni did a lot for my rink so I have softened my once negative feelings towards them. Those alumni games brought a lot of money and interest to our rink and helped keep it afloat. Brain Propp is one of the nicest, most down to earth people you'll ever meet. Great guy. Surprisingly I thought Shultz was a nice guy as was Watson, Goodenow (sp?), and others. However, Bob Kelly is an ahole. He tripped me, he slashed me. This is in a friendly game to raise money. And off the ice his behavior was just as bad if not worse. Needless to say I don't like him a little bit.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | April 23, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov

I've always found that the goons are the nicest guys off the ice. Maybe they get all of their aggression out on the ice and are just left with the nice guy. Specifically Chris Simon who was always obliging for a photo or autograph. And the biggest "ahole" I ever met was one of hockey's most gentlemanly players: Adam Oates

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 23, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, could there be an obnoxious poster block button? JoeK, Cstanton, B33, please take it outside.

I agree with the poster who said leaners can be asked politely to lean back. Most are okay with that. One time, though, a guy I was at the game with got tired of asking a drunken girl to stop leaning forward. She had a walkway (no seats) in front of her. Finally, my friend got fed up and STOOD in front of her so she could get the message. Problem solved.

Worse were the two federal workers (both women) who chatted non-stop very loudly throughout the entire Caps/Penguins game behind us. Finally, during the shoot out I turned around and said, "You are too loud". Shut them up for maybe 5 seconds. I love it when people make noise, or even if they are talking about the game, but I didn't want to hear every detail of every co-worker of theirs and then all their relatives.

Okay, enough whining (at least from me!) Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: dccitizen1 | April 23, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Caps need to take care of business tonight because returning to Montreal for Game 6 would be a tough proposition and anything can happen in a Game 7. We need to play smart, stay out of the penalty box, and apply constant forechecking pressure in the neutral zone to create TO's. Montreal has nothing to lose tonight and will be playign loosely like the did in Game 1.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 23, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Good luck, Caps.

Win tonight. So you all can be nice and rested for the Flyers in Round 2.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 23, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

hey hey I sit in that exact row in section 421.. and I think I know you were talking about if they were two rows down.. those guys were not season tic holders and were drunken buffoons- i think they stole someones coat too? we called our sales rep about them and complained and I havent seen them back. I really like our section and the people in it. On occasion a special needs young man sits in the row in front of us and does get upset when you ask him to move.. but just be a little tolerant.. he doesnt do it all the time. I see fine and we've had those seats for two years. At times, I see person after person ignore the usher and walk up the stairs. We had a good usher most of the season and the one recently has gotten lazy again (not assertive, but I did see him argue with a rude jerk for ten minutes last game because the guy wanted to stand in the aisle of row B. One thing though ROW D - don't get up when the puck has dropped! you know who you are.. seriously dude.,,

Posted by: kmr2r | April 23, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

When we do win tonight be prepared for the invasion of Flyers trolls to follow. Second most obnoxious in the league, next to Pens trolls

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | April 23, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know what Jurcina's probable return date is?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | April 23, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

*******

Unless your fortunate to be playing the Devils - they roll over and die. I was hoping for every other series to go a full 7 games...and the Devils did not even try at home no less!

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | April 23, 2010 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I AM ABOUT TO GO TO A CAPS GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A FEW YEARS!!! I DON'T KNOW WHERE MY SEATS ARE, AND I DON'T CARE!

WE WILL STICK A FORK IN 'EM!!

PLAY NICE EVERYONE!

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(It will be just my luck if there is an in-game chat tonight, which I have been LOBBYING for, oh well)

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | April 23, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Congrats wtf! Have fun! You better shout your lungs out tonight! ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | April 23, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Anybody know what Jurcina's probable return date is?

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | April 23, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

word on the street was 2nd round.

speaking of goons, they're kinda humorous with their on-ice comments. Its pretty funny what they to each other during games. Tim Hunter and Dave Brown had quite a verbal tussle once. Brown actually did stints as a standup comic too.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

this can't be a good omen. Bret Michaels is looking terminal with a brain aneurysm.

no more rock of love, dammit all to hell!

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Where is tonight's lineup and does anyone know if Geno is having a live chat.

Posted by: instinct227 | April 23, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

instinct227, just checked the main Post page and we're sentenced to postgame Q&A only, unfortunately. (Although I guess we should be grateful we're getting anything, as crazy busy as all our Caps media folks have been.)

I am SO excited--just wish I could be at VC, but I'm rockin' the red here at home. LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: wocoliz | April 23, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Not sure about the full lineup but I heard that the 2nd is getting a facelift. Semin and Flash on the bench replaced by Laing and Walker. Steckel coming back in to give Belanger a break. So....

3rd line becoming 2nd line, 4th line becoming 3rd line, and Steck centering Walker and Laing on the 4th line.

also corvo out, erskine in. Just to rest Corvo up for the next series you know. Mo back in, Poti out despite his recent +5 or whatever it was. Bruce just feels Mo is a better complement to Carlson.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 23, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

T-Minus half-hour 'til game time.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 23, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey did anyone see this comment? HAHAHHA

"You watch the games. We're probably winning two out of every three periods, but that one period is the difference," Metropolit said. "We have to play better for 60 minutes and if we do we will beat them. We feel like we're the better team."
----
oh ok!

Posted by: rachel216 | April 23, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

C'mon Caps, end this thing tonight! Go Caps!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | April 23, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

rachel,

We are lucky to be ahead 3-1.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | April 23, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry guys, tonight you will lose ;-)

Hoping Cheap Shot Artist gets hurt!

Posted by: ronaldcajelais | April 23, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Real classy dude

Posted by: rachel216 | April 23, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216
You're right, sorry about that.

Not sorry about the CH winning though.
But now, i'm very scared about next game:the Caps played very well and we were lucky the refs didn't see us playing with 6 players like you guys got busted for!

One things's for sure, the show is great! I was most happy about playing Washington.

Varlamov was very good, too bad for you Halak was better.

Sorry again: little frustration here.... but i still hate the guy:wish he was on my team.

Posted by: ronaldcajelais | April 23, 2010 10:09 PM | Report abuse

@ beaupre33

Posted by: joek443 | April 23, 2010 2:54 PM

you have serious issues. it's pretty evident.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 24, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse