Posted at 12:45 PM ET, 01/13/2011

Caps wrap up optional practice

By Gene Wang

The Capitals had an optional practice this afternoon, and among those not here at Kettler Capitals Iceplex included Alex Ovechkin -- as is customary for him on days with optional practices -- Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin and Tom Poti.

Semin has been nursing a lower-body injury that kept him out during the team's two-game Florida road trip. Poti, meantime, also is nursing an injury that forced him from last night's game after 5 minutes 38 seconds of ice time.

The last few players on the ice following the practice were, among others, Brooks Laich, John Carlson, Karl Alzner, D.J. King and Matt Hendricks.

By Gene Wang  | January 13, 2011; 12:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Semyon Varlamov settles down against Lightning
Next: Alexander Semin, Tom Poti remain on shelf

Comments

Everyone who attends the optional skate should start. I want to see DJ out on the ice after yesterday's game.

Posted by: larryn703 | January 13, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

How much would it take to get Toronto to take Poti for Kaberle. Would people be willing to do it if the Caps had to throw in a 1st round pick and Eakin? (this is a hypothetical, so lets assume Kaberle would waive his NTC)

Kaberle would significantly help solve the Caps PP problem(him and Green maning the points would be pretty good) and would improve the overall D(Kaberle is great at puck retrieval)

To force them to take Poti the Caps would have to give up a little more, hence the 1st round pick and Eakin.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind seeing DJ get a look again. He's a bit more than just a one-dimensional enforcer, he can go in on the forecheck, hit, etc. BB doesn't seem to see any redeemable qualities about him though.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I always defend the Caps, but I must say that was absolutely depressing. It's like our guys forgot how to play. We created absolutely nothing while Varly had to stand on his head just for us to lose 3-0. I haven't said this before, but I'm really starting to think that changing the system to a more defensive one is the problem. I know everyone was whining about how offensive we were & our lack of D. So we got our D to improve, but our offense looks absolutely terrible now & we went from one of the most exciting teams in the NHL to watch to a boring one. Is that what we wanted? This team is built around great offensive players & that's the way it should play win or lose. Be true to yourself & don't listen to the critics. And we won a lot more than we lost with that style. In fact, on most nights we completely dominated teams peppering their goalies with great shots. Now we can barely get any shots on goal. I say screw this experiment & go back to the way we were playing. Just because we happened to run into a ridiculously hot goalie in the playoffs (while dominating in terms of play) doesn't mean we have to completely change our style of play. I'd rather watch us lose an entertaining game than watch this crap. We're starting to look like Hanlon's Caps.

Posted by: ranndino | January 13, 2011 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't trade Eakin. He's going to be a gem one day, count on it. And I never say this about players after only watching them in juniors play.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:10 PM | Report abuse

We need time ranndino, it takes time. The guys are still making mistakes, doing things from the old system, getting confused, etc.

Unfortunately time, especially against Tampa, is a luxury we don't have.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil2

I agree with you. I don't think the Caps should trade Eakin. I'm not a big fan of putting all your eggs in one basket(i.e. trading away all future assets for one run at the SC).

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't mind see DJK getting a chance soon. I doubt it will be against Vancouver(too much skilled depth), but I could see him suiting up versus Ottawa on Sunday.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 1:16 PM | Report abuse

sadly I turned the game off in mid 3rd when they clearly were not going to mount a comeback of Russian WJC proportions!

Players that skated at optional practice AND were off the ice last AND their ice times from last nights game:

John Carlson: 25:27
Karl Alzner: 24:35
Brooks Laich: 16:26
Matt Hendricks: 9:09
D.J. King: 0:00 (shame, he should get a sweater)

I love Ovechkin and all the big guns but bloody lead by example. Practice makes you better. Practice is what makes the system stick in your head. Practice is how you get your shot back Ovie, not days off!

Any fool

Examples like the above (Brooks Laich skating at an optional practice and being last off) firmly plants it in my head that I am right from the get-go that Laich should have been given the Captain's C, not Ovechkin.

Again, I love Ovie, but Brooksie is better suited for it!

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 13, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

For the right guy, I wouldn't mind seeing almost any of our prospects getting traded...except Eakin. I don't know, there's something special about him, and if he ever grows a few more inches, he'll have the size and strength to match as well. Him and MaJo are probably the two "off-limits" prospects, in my opinion.

I foresee MaJo very much becoming a sort of like a Jared Staal, and their development is similar as well. Very young rookies thrust in the NHL, charged with playing a more defensive role.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I still believe that they Caps should move back to a more offensive system.

And why is practice optional today. After scoring two goals in the last two games they should all be on the ice. Just saying!

Posted by: instinct227 | January 13, 2011 1:22 PM | Report abuse

The thing you have to be impressed about Tampa is who's in charge of that hockey team. They were blown out in the first two matches against the Caps this year, gave up 6 goals in each game.

____________________________

Interestingly, as VTDuffman and I alluded to in the previous thread, Boucher's system is very similar to ours last year. He is sort of an all-or-nothing coach, like the Caps. And as you say, he was able to properly adjust from the first two games. Boucher/Yzerman...that's a very heady, intelligent combination there.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil2
----

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 13, 2011 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"Eric Fehr played through two torn labrums in the playoffs a couple years ago, played just about the full season last year after having both shoulders surgically repaired at the same time"

Big deal. Crosby played with two irritated labia and hurt feelings every night.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | January 13, 2011 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Get rid of Poti, Chimera and Gordon.

All three for... ?

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | January 13, 2011 1:27 PM | Report abuse

If you guys want to see a fight happen between two worthless goons, why not just suit up the Miz or maybe Rick Flair. Same skill level as DJ King.

Matt Hendricks fills the role fine and he can actually play the sport. Who needs DJ. Waste of a roster spot.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 13, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrankM73

Yep, definitely meant the Penguin.

As for Jared Staal, I'm not sure if he's ever going to stick in the NHL. Only time will tell though.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

See there you go again, questioning people's intelligence. Sorry, that you can't handle people questioning you and talking down to you like you do to everyone else on here. And really dont question my intelligence, if you knew me, youd know Im way smarter than you. You can question my work ethic and the fact that Im lazy, and I have no problem with that. Id agree with you there, but not my smarts buddy.

Posted by: ThePat | January 13, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Okay, unlike the optional SKATES, which I have no problem with guys skipping... this was a PRACTICE, so it ticks me off that Ovi and Backstrom (2 guys that this team has commited to for the next DECADE and are counting on to be leaders) are once again not there. And it sounds pretty clear that Ovi isn't even at the complex (it's not like he's there but doing some off ice work, watching film, etc). I've never been a fan of the longterm contracts, but when Ovi and Backstrom signed they both seemed like no-brainers. I didn't see either of these guys not living up to the responsibility and faith put in them, but now I'm beginning to have some serious doubts.

Posted by: chombie13 | January 13, 2011 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil2 |

I'd put Kuznetsov in the untradeable section also. Orlov is in the "it better be a very good deal" section. Everything I read raves about how all 3 performed in the WJC. I read that the pro scouts were saying that Orlov was the best defenseman in the WJC, even better than Gubdaranson(spelling?) who was drafted 3rd overall last year by Florida.

I also really like the promise of MJ and think he will be a very good 2nd or 3rd line center who thrives on his defensive responsibilities. Unfortunately he isn't there this year, but his promise looks great.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Im with you guys on not trading Eakin. But honestly some of our prospects have to be traded. Fact is you never know how they will develop, but if you can get a 2C that can play now and help the team versus a question mark in a few years. Sorry but you make that deal. Its not like you are giving up 4 or 5 prospects. Its just one.

Posted by: ThePat | January 13, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

______________________

I disagree, I think DJK has some redeemable qualities about him, in comparison to some other enforcers employed around the league who see far more ice-time. Of course he doesn't match the versatility of Hendricks, but why can't you have both in the line-up?

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:32 PM | Report abuse

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Ovechkin has been HAGGARD AT BEST lately, while Backstrom has been non-existant. Yet they both take an optional practice off? Are you serious? OV has a C and Backstrom has an A sometimes. But they're the "big boys" so it doesn't matter; their ice time will never change. They know that they can do whatever they want. I don't think I have ever really ranted on this site, but OV and Backstrom, are you serious?

As a fan I am actually feeling a bit insulted. I have watched an on-ice product that is complete garbage for the past two nights, and now I see my two leaders not doing anything to improve this crap?

Meanwhile you have three of the most reliable players in a Caps jersey (Carlson, Alzner, Hendricks) staying out for extra work. And say what you will about Laich's play of late, at least he is participating in optional practices and staying out late.

Maybe I'm just being a baby, but this seems ridiculous to me.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 13, 2011 1:33 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3:

Orlov, Kuznetsov and Eakin were arguably the 3 best players on the ice in the championship game.

Eakin never stopped bringing it when Canada was on it's heels.

Kuznetsov was just dazzlingly fast and the puck just seemed to find him in the 3rd (read: he anticipated and dictated the play very well)

Orlov just was solid defensively and it's a freaking mountain of a 6'0 D, muscle-wise... boy is ripped!

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 13, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------

I think that's fair, they still have a negative goal diff. but have one of the better records in the league.

when they lose, they lose big.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat |

I definitely agree, I'm just talking about Eakin specifically. I don't know, there is just something about him that screams NHL player some day. He's a competitor.

@sgm
I almost put Orlov in there, but decided not to. I would see Kuznetsov and Orlov go for the right deal.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Jordan_Kitts,

A used bag of pucks??

Posted by: PhilR | January 13, 2011 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat

If you were so smart you would've been able to see that I was mocking your previous reply. The comment on your intelligence was window dressing.

I could care less how smart you think you are or how smart you actually are. However, I do love the "if you knew me youd know Im way smarter than you" statement. Eloquent.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 1:36 PM | Report abuse

"Then they turned things around against us completely. That's something you never the Caps do last year."

---

Yeah, but last year in the regular season, we never really lost enough to any particular team to make an effective comparison there. Remember, we only lost 15 games last season (not counting OT, 25 if you do that).

We did lose the first 3 to NJ last year, to finish with a 4-1 win against them FWIW.

I'm not saying the bolts aren't a good team right now, they definitely are. I'm saying they're going to be the next poster child for the difference between playoff hockey and regular season hockey.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 13, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't think those Russian prospects that they have in their system have quite the trade value as you might think, there's a reason why a lot of teams stay away from them in the draft.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I have watched an on-ice product that is complete garbage for the past two nights, and now I see that our captain and one of the alternates is not coming to practice to help fix this? Ovechkin has been HAGGARD AT BEST lately, and Backstrom is non-existant, and yet both of these "big boys" are skipping a chance to figure their problems out? I guess they know it doesn't matter and that their ice time will never decrease, but still...

Meanwhile you see three of the Caps' most reliable players (Carlson, Alzner, Hendricks) not only attending practice, but staying out late! And say what you will about Laich's play of late, at least he is working on getting out of this funk he's in.

As a customer and loyal supporter of the team, I am almost offended by this. The Verizon center has been home to some of the most dedicated and loyal fans in the league the past 4 seasons, and these "leaders" can't even show up to attempt to remedy things? Ridiculous...

I don't think I have ever ranted on this site before, but this bothers me. Maybe I'm just being a baby though...

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 13, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 |

True about any prospects, but Kuznetsov and Orlov were both standouts in the recent WJC tournament, so they have a lot of hype around them. The thing about the Caps is that, with Ovi and all, we're able to better draw them in to sign with us, since there is a lack of a transfer agreement between the two leagues. I'm sure it effects Orlov and Kuznetsov as well, but I bet there isn't a disappointment in interest for those two if GMGM came a ringing.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@capsfansince74

DJK is the few games he has played in this year has a better point/60 minutes than hendricks...just saying, he hasn't gotten a shot, but he has more skill than you think.

also he is on IR and not even using a roster spot

Posted by: _stevo | January 13, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

No way, you were mocking me??? I had no idea.

Posted by: ThePat | January 13, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

they need to assign Bob Woodward to investigate what's really been going on with Ovi and his sticks.

I mean what's more important, that or national security???

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 1:43 PM | Report abuse

slurpees:

I'll take Cammalleri.

In return you get:

Poti, Sloan, Poti's groin, Perreault, a second round pick in the 2020 draft, the remainder of Nylander's contract, DJ King (we don't use him), Alexander Giroux (Oops, he's already gone), Sean Collins, Aucoin, the hex on Ovechkin, Hadeed, Boudreau's bird call skills, the Caps' poor work ethic and a future contract extension mistake by McPhee to be named later.

Thanks.
tominsocal

Nice, but no deal. Even our 7th defenseman, Picard, would outperform Tom Poti.

We have our own squirt center too.

BUT, you can hire Martin as an assistant, and we'll take the hex on Ovechkin and King so he can take out the Pitt announcers and Crospussy's convoy.

Boudreau's love for offense will be perfectly complemented by Martin's ultra-emphasis on defense.

Posted by: slurpeesarecool | January 13, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 13, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: VTDuffman |

St Louis, Vinny (say what you want about his play now), and others know how to win though.

One of my most painful Caps memories is that series against Tampa, when we won the first two and then lost the next four. They strike fear in my heart.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@Aldred15

I just posted similar sentiments. You're not alone in this regard.

Posted by: chombie13 | January 13, 2011 1:44 PM | Report abuse

______________________________

Gotta disagree here, Green and ShaMo are just as physical, if not more physical, than both Ohlund and Hedman. I agree on all other points though.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:47 PM | Report abuse

"Do you mean Jordan Staal? because Jared hasn't played a single NHL game for Phoenix yet! ???"

---

Oh god, there's another Staal? Don't we have enough of these things? Stupid question, are they all related? If so, they're like the Duggars of the NHL.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 13, 2011 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting a bit tired of Ovie ditching the optional practices when something is clearly wrong with his game. I can see not practicing if he's injured or tired but otherwise, wouldn't more practice be a good idea at this point? Wouldn't it help him get his timing back? Wouldn't it help with his confidence, or whatever he's lacking at the moment? When I see someone at his skill level break multiple sticks each game, I think either he's using faulty sticks (unlikely, but easily remedied) or there's something wrong with his stroke that he needs to work out. And antoher thing: shouldn't a team captain lead by example by working harder than everyone else? Maybe the solution is that given the team's inconsistent play, all practices should be mandatory, with nothing "optional."

Posted by: theblitz1 | January 13, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

You know, all of our faces will be red when we come to find out this season has been a mind attack on all the other teams. It will turn out that we are simply just playing a mind game with everyone, luring them into a false sense of confidence. We will back into the playoffs at the last minute and then...wait for it....BAM. Hit that on switch and sweep everyone all the way through the SC. Ahhhhh BB, you crafty devil you...you have fooled us yet again you master strategist.

Either that or perhaps GMGM should get us our 2C and threaten BB's job. Im just saying, pull a Miami and start coach interviewing ;)

@ sgm3 and ThePat
The question isnt who is smarter than who. The question IS...whose dad can beat up whose?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 13, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

All four are brothers. The new Sutters, sort of.

I think Jared is with the Canes now though. I know he's not with PHX anymore.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil - we have been shut out 4 or 5 times in the last 25 games and now you think we should have Hendricks and King in the lineup the same night? Exactly what does that do to help? I just hate the enforcerer in hockey. Pointless waste of a roster spot.

Its almost like when DJ knows he is going to play, he looks at the other teams roster - finds there fighter, and they fight early in the game. They both get 5 minutes - it means nothing and does nothing to help the Caps. Am I wrong?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 13, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 |

Posted by: richmondphil2

I agree with all of this. It is unlikely the Caps will get equal value for the Russian prospects because of the Russian factor. There are probably more than a few teams who would be wary of trading good assets for a player they are unsure would want to come over and play for their team.

With Ovie, Varly, and Semin on the Caps it makes the Caps a much bigger draw for the Russian prospect.

Also, when their KHL team starts telling the kid stories about the negatives of playing in the NHL and why playing in the KHL is better, he has Ovie, Varly and Semin to talk to to get a different opinion.

That's a big reason why I think Eakin may be the Caps most valuable trading chip, because of the Russian factor. I'm not saying we should trade Eakin, but he could probably bring back the most out of all the Caps current prospects, IMO.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nicety251 | January 13, 2011 1:53 PM | Report abuse

The Duggars... or you know, for people who actually follow hockey: The Sutters.

I also love the cherry picking of the softer caps matching up against the grittier players on other teams. Yeah downie and green don't match up in grit. Thanks for that brilliant analysis.

Posted by: GFisher1 | January 13, 2011 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT OVIE IS NOT AT PRATICE.
He is struggling and loosk completely out of shape, does not husslte after the puck. BB and GMGM really need to take him out of the games. like tampa did to stankos last year., he needs to eake up, along with Green and Backstrom, why should they play? bring in some players from hershey that actullay want to play. Maybe a few games in the press box will make Ovie realize that he still needs to preform. As much as I hate crosby he was working out all summer and you see the results, what did ovie do? make a video, play in his cars and eat like a pig. I am very diappointed wiht anohter DC team. at this rate the palyoffs will be a joke. Cant wait for friday night when we play a real team. Maybe OVie is hanging wiht Albert, get paid and screw everyone else. I love the caps, but something has to be done, they play with no heart and that comes from the captian. maybe we need a new captian, OVIE - get your ass on the ice and play the game you are paid to play...... Pratice makes perfect

Posted by: tpatton2 | January 13, 2011 1:55 PM | Report abuse

"I have to disagree here. While their style is similar to the Caps' of recent years, they posess an element of grit that the Caps certainly did not. You look at guys like Downie, Ohlund and Hedman and you see guys who are hard-nosed and hard hitting (compared to Poti, Shultz, Green, Morrisonn of the past few years). You also look at the heart and experience of guys like St. Louis and Lecavalier and I think (and this is just my opinion) that they're a more complete team than the Caps were the past three years."

---

I'm not questioning the grit of their defensive players. I'm saying that their offensive system is played at the expense of their defense. Just because *we* can't score on them doesn't mean their Defense is good, we can't score on anyone.

They have the 25th ranked GAA in the league, and a negative goal differential. That's simply not going to cut it in the playoffs.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 13, 2011 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfansince74

Again, I find more redeemable qualities about DJK than your normal Boogard or Godard. If he was tasked more than to fight, than we would see it more. St Louis gave him some of that, and that is where I am drawing it from. He can play an aggressive forecheck, and wear down the oppositions top-6 and/or defensemen.

And while I may agree with you about one-dimensional enforcers having no place in the league, I still think there is a place for fighting in the league, so players like DJK must evolve their game to incorporate more than fighting...which I think he would be able to do if given the chance.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

@ sgm3 and ThePat

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce

Haha. That was pretty good.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau is a terrible coach. It's quite simple. He favors small, passive players who can't spell "physical", then wonders why people can score at will from the slot. I've been saying for years that Poti is a worthless pylon. The irony about him is that he came into the league as an offensive dman - he sucked at that too - so the Caps thought he'd be great as a shutdown d, and he's one of the worst I've ever seen at doing it. I am still in shock that they resigned him. I guess McPhee wants to always have a worthless sack of "veteran" on his cap at all times, as Nylander comes off this year.

Posted by: timKosecki | January 13, 2011 1:59 PM | Report abuse

"Not the Ohlund that I saw play against the Caps in their last two matches... he's been the nastiest SOB on the ice, playing against Ovi."

---

Physical play and borderline (and sometimes not so borderline) cheap shots are not the same thing.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 13, 2011 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Put Poti on the IR - he is not helping us anyway.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 13, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Green plays a much more physical game than people give him credit for. He is, by far, our most physical defenseman.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Put Poti on the IR - he is not helping us anyway.

Posted by: lylewimbledon

I would rather see him playing in Hershey after passing through waivers.

Posted by: PhilR | January 13, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@nicety251

Good article. A lot of very good points directly related to this thread.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Ohlund is a pretty physical defender himself, but Hedman really isn't at all, he's just big. But Green and ShaMo are just as physical, if not more physical, than Ohlund.

Green simply does not get enough credit. For anything.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 2:05 PM | Report abuse

i wouldn't say by far becausee Erskine does a decent job, but he's turned into the same type of dman he USED TO BE.

no complaints about Green's physical play, starting about the midway point of last yr. Even that leaping elbow he threw into Frolik was a nice indicator of his newfound desire to (re) add the edge to his game.

how's that DKKing trade workin out for the best GM in hockey anyway? We gettin our money's worth out of that deal?

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread: "they gave up about 40 shots on goal back to back, a lot of them point-blank chances... some system they got.

can't score, can't defend... is that really the new system is designed to do??? LMAO"

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Joke: The Canadiens gave up more shots than that against the Caps in the playoffs and people on here wanted to say the Capitals were "figured out" and the Canadiens employed the perfect "system" to beat the Capitals. Now you are going to LAO (love the high school text codes used here) and ask how a defensive system gives up 40 shots when the same results were characterized as a game plan by the Canadiens last year. I'm a die hard Kool Aid drinker and admit that it seems like the Capitals are their own worst enemy right now but to act like the Capitals are not playing a different system this year just sounds like someone complaining to complain. BTW do EVER go the Capitals games because I check this blog the day after games and you always dominate the board when the Caps are at home. I would think if you are as big of a fan as you claim you are that you would make it to at least a few games a year. If you really want to go there are tickets to be had at reasonable prices.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 13, 2011 2:07 PM | Report abuse

It is interesting that this post doesn't mention that Chimera, Fehr, and Knuble also missed the optional practice. Hmmmm?

Posted by: ablake70 | January 13, 2011 2:09 PM | Report abuse

______________________

Oh yeah, for some reason I forgot about him. You know why, right? Because he hasn't been in the lineup...

Third pairing should be Schultz-Erskine, always.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

It's done nothing for the Caps so far, but since SDR hasn't done anything either and is not likely to do anything, I call it a wash. One worthless asset for another.

We will see how it looks 2 years from now.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ablake70

It also doesn't mention any of the Euros (MaJo) who stayed on. It just says "other." Kind of funny...perpetuating the Russian/Canadian stereotypes in reporting. I guess that gives it a buzz.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 2:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, that should say European/N. American stereotypes, really.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

fanohock,

Everyone is not as economically stable as you apparently are I'm sorry to say. My wife has been looking for a job for well over a year now but there simply is nothing out there. You do not know peoples financial status so to say because you if you do not "go to a few games a year you are not a big fan" to me is simply ludicrous. I know we have had this conversation before but that argument of yours really rubs me the wrong way.

Posted by: PhilR | January 13, 2011 2:14 PM | Report abuse

No show OVI strikes again huh? That little win streak is nothing but a mirage. Uncle Teddy keeps making excuses for this sad, sack underachieving team with "superstars" who have absolutely no heart.

Since when is over half a season still considered a slump? Best players in the world don't go through half season slumps and still do the same stupid things like disappear for 2/3rds of every game. OVI has regressed big time and is not even a top 20 player in the league anymore. And he's laughing all the way to the bank getting 10mil per for doing squat every game. Stop kidding yourselves people.

Pacing themselves? You've got to be kidding. Since when does flipping the switch ever work? They think they are just handed a playoff spot without truly earning it and then they can start playing once they get there? Disgraceful bunch of "professionals". I hope they end up missing the playoffs. Hard work and responsibility means nothing to this bunch.

You Caps fans should be ashamed at the mentality and professionalism by this organization.

They have truly become the San Jose Sharks of the East.

Posted by: BigGameSid | January 13, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

On the trade front, as much as people want a trade to be made immediately, it is much more likely and a better idea to wait until near the trade deadline to make the deal. The rules of the salary cap makes this true as it gives the Caps the ability to go after more guys with their increased caproom(meaning they can afford a guy with a $4M/yr salary at the deadline, but probably not now).

We just have to be patient.

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 2:19 PM | Report abuse

My biggest concern is that two rookies are the Caps shutdown pairing. Both Carlson and Alzner are playing well now, but I'm not that confident about the playoffs when the compete and competition levels rise.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 13, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Both guys, King and Della Rovere, are on the wrong teams. King would start on a few different teams, and will play for another 5-6 years in the league. SDR is a fringe NHLer who will get called up as an injury reserve. They are both short term options; however Boudreau's insistence on letting his players forget how to bodycheck, play with passion, stick up for each other, intimidate, or generally play North American hockey is causing King to rot in the press box. He'll get his shot somewhere else - or in DC next year when Elmer Fudd gets fired after another lackluster, embarrassing early playoff exit.

Posted by: timKosecki | January 13, 2011 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The "O" in Ovechkin should stand for "Optional" -

It's time to fire the coach - because he doesn't have the balls to demand that his star players stand up and be accountable. Laich works harder than him, green or semin...and he always shows up for practice. but our so-called stars rarely turn up...and they are the reason we are losing.

Posted by: dingram3 | January 13, 2011 2:22 PM | Report abuse

The 'silver linings' that I can find this year so far:

1- our young dmen (Carlson/Alzner) have rec'd valuable developmental time in adversity-filled situations, sometimes with mixed results (Alzner has played better than I thought and Carlson has played worse).

2- Hendricks

3- Slight increase in team grit (mostly due to the addition of Hendricks and the slightly recent surge by Steckel and Laich in the same area)

4- more team focus on defensive play (although this was borne out of NECESSITY during the losing streak, it was not part of the plan). Adding Hannan has paid some dividends but he's by no means the final piece on D.

The disappointments:

1-- same old problems of starting slow, and paying lip service to concepts they don't really believe in (60 min efforts)

2-- Ovechkin. I'm not even interested in watching him play anymore whereas his first few yrs I was glued to the screen when he took the ice. He's mailing it in night after night and thankfully his stats bear it out. Otherwise he'd have no inclination to change. Still not sure if we'll ever see the guy who played every shift like it was his last. And he's still pulling that stupid played-out move where he gains the blueline and then curls up expecting to get some room to make his next move. Does he even get coached out there?

3- TP. Toilet Paper, Tom Poti. Take yer pick. He's almost as useless and frail as the next guy on this list

4- Gordo

5- the inability to understand a simple role that a DJK type provides. All over the league you have examples of these types of players getting good ice time and providing a valuable service. To the Caps, its as foreign a concept as it is drafting a tough defensive dman or a tough top 6 forward.

Based on what I've seen so far, this Caps team is only marginally better prepared for playoff hockey. They still lack the mental and physical dedication necessary to get to the next level.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:24 PM | Report abuse

And because of biased reporting like this, we get comments like this. Good job WP.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@VTDuffman:
Yes, Jared Staal, youngest of the 4 Staal's (Eric, Jordan, Marc)... just be happy they weren't like the Sutter family and bred like 8 billion of them...

Jared is Hurricane's property...

Posted by: FrankM73 | January 13, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Am I wrong?

Posted by: capsfansince74 | January 13, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

You are DEAD WRONG. I don't have time to go into specifics, but I'll be home in a couple hours and will be looking to expound on DJK

Posted by: vermontcaps | January 13, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

The coach is the least of the problems. The culture starts at the top , from Leonsis down. They let their stars do whatever the hell they want instead of being true leaders who lead by example and work ethic. You can't fire Leonsis, he will never stand up to his boy OVI, and he won't fire Mcphee, the perennial loser GM. Boudreau's his guy so unless there's a huge change of heart and realization these guys will stick around for a while.

Posted by: BigGameSid | January 13, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil2

Next, they will dub him Ovi Haynesworth. People are already calling him fat.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 13, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

fanohock,

---------------------

its a pretty dumb argument for sure. Its kinda the last refuge for a certain type of fan to make his case that if you don't go to the games you have no right to criticize or worse, no ability to analyze or critique the team.

booooo!

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:26 PM | Report abuse

We will see how it looks 2 years from now.

Posted by: sgm3

hopefully it looks a lot better for the Caps. Which would mean that both GM and BB have moved into careers they're better suited for. Broadcasting!

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Carlson and Alzner may not be seasoned, but it is time to give them the responsibility they will shoulder moving forward. Green is not a #1 dman, as the Caps found out after signing him to a fat contract, much like the Hawks and Brian Campbell. Carlson is a good puck mover who makes a lot of mistakes too, but he's young and learning. Alzner isn't a great puck handler and needs to learn to make a more controlled breakout pass, and just relax, but that too comes with time. This is not the Caps year, obviously, so there is no rush to make any more changes regarding those two. Let them play a ton, and learn, and build for next year. Maybe with Dale Hunter coaching him again, Carlson will develop into a Norris candidate.

Posted by: timKosecki | January 13, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

To Caps fans what do you think of that sick embellishment that OVI did in that game? What a clown. This guy represents everything a true hockey player would despise.

Don't bother accusing Crosby about his whining, diving, or cheapshot or any other imaginery act look no further than your boy OVI who does all that and more. Not to mention that lying cheapshot artist Steckel but he's just a useless fringe player ie., Steve Moore who deserves to be Bertuzzie'd

Posted by: BigGameSid | January 13, 2011 2:33 PM | Report abuse

практика?

практика?

Not a game, we're talking about практика?

Posted by: sinbin | January 13, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

it does not matter one iota that the Bolts beat us last night. I'll still take that team as an opponent over Atlanta in a playoff series.

There's examples galore of teams we've owned during the reg season who've beaten us in the playoffs and vice versa.

Tampa doesn't play the right way on most nights. Which brings me to Ted's comments. He's right. It does not matter where we finish points-wise. It matters HOW we are playing and what kind of team our esteemed GM has assembled.

I don't care if we finish 8th. If we're playing the right way, we have a good chance of making a dent. And starting a playoff series on the road offers this team the best chance of getting into the right mindset.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Ok, who rubbed the lamp and let BigGameSid out? You know he doesnt grant wishes right?

@BGS
Hmm there you go again embellishing everything. Bash the Caps all you want, but let me just point out a couple things:

1) Caps are 3 pts behind Pittathetic and have a game in hand.
2) Caps 3 - Pens 1 = Winter Classic
3) Caps L10 = 6-1-3
Pens L10 = 4-4-2
4) Ovie's season long "slump" is still good for 10th in scoring at the moment, talk about impressive. A player is slumping and still is top 10 in scoring.

Need I say more?

P.S. Is is true that the mere mentioning of the name Steckel makes Crosby wet himself? Skate with your head up Cindy...atta girl.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | January 13, 2011 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Dave Steckel is not a cheap shot artist. That hit was accidental. He doesn't even intentionally hit people, how are you going to call that malicious?

And you guys have Matt Cooke, and before him had Jarkko Ruutu and Ryan Whitney. So your record post-lockout isn't squeaky clean. And we all know how clean you were pre-lockout. Well maybe you don't, since you found hockey when it came to the xbox.

Posted by: timKosecki | January 13, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

We will see how it looks 2 years from now.

Posted by: sgm3

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:29 PM

That's the problem. How many years are the Caps going to push back the rebuild?

I have to agree with those that lay the blame at GMGM's feet. He has had six years to build a Cup contender around Ovechkin. Instead of adding solid veterans that could help the development of our young stars, we been waiting for one young hotshot after another.

I don't watch juniors/KHL/AHL so I'll take your word on Eakin, Kunetsov, Orlov, etc, but I don't think GMGM should be given a pass until this next group is ready. This year's team needs to make the ECF, or GMGM should be out.

Posted by: ablake70 | January 13, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@timKosecki

There is a reason no one has responded to him.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | January 13, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

sinbin, lol. I wonder who can read Russian, and gets the joke.

Posted by: timKosecki | January 13, 2011 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't bother accusing Crosby about his whining, diving, or cheapshot
----------------

again, I say this as a huge Matt Cooke fan. Any player who plays on a Matt Cooke team, aka Crosby, has no right to whine about cheapshots or questionable hits. You wanna play that way, then expect it to come full circle. I'd be more worried if I was Dave Steckel in the next Pens game. The Pens don't usually just pay lip svc to the revenge concept. They make sure that every cheap shot goes answered. And they have many many players willing to answer that bell. From Talbot to Asham to Godard and everyone inbetween.

And Steck unfortunately plays for the Caps who show no awareness that they could be entering the next Pens game facing an opponent determined to run them off physically even more than they did the previous game. And they'll target Steckel, or go after Ovechkin or Backstrom or Semin.

But its not like we'll get caught with our pants down....DJK will be watching and glaring from the press box.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Semin, please don't bother rattling off those meaningless stats when you know how mediocre your team has looked so far overall this season. Do you even WATCH the games and the players? Most of your fellow Caps fans see what I see, what I've said is not a revelation.

Are you telling me you're not disappointed with the play of this team and its "best" players so far? OVI for his standards has taken several steps back, don't tell me his point total is anywhere near being acceptable considering all the ice time he gets on the PP and taking those absurdly long shifts he takes. Give me a break and stop sugar coating obvious sht just to argue with me.

As for comparing the Caps to Pens, your division is still one of the weakest in the league, and the Pens have gone through the season without Staal, Malkin and now Crosby. Lets see how well the Caps do without Backstrom, Ovi, or Green for dozens of a games before you start comparing.

Posted by: BigGameSid | January 13, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Was Green or Carlson at practice today

Posted by: capsfan9991 | January 13, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Wow, BGS, three casts before you got a single bite?

You're losing your touch, bro. It's time to get a new username, a new shtick, and hopefully a new board to troll. It looks like for the most part, the posters on here have figured out how to give you exactly as much credit/attention as you deserve.

You're like Bart Simpson in the episode where Lisa makes the new doll to compete with Malibu Stacy, no one is paying attention to Bart while he's being a jackass, and he loses his mind:

Doll: Trust in yourself and you can achieve anything!
Lisa: All right. Now all we need is a name.
Bart: How about Blabbermouth, the jerky oll for jerks?
Lisa: How about Minerva, after the Roman goddess of wisdom?
Stacy: Ehh, not enough commercial appeal.
Bart: Wendy Windbag? Ugly Doris? Hortense the mule-faced doll!
Stacy: I think we should name her after Lisa. We'll call her Lisa Lionheart.
Bart: No, Loudmouth Lisa! Stupid Lisa Garbage Face! [no one pays attention] I can't stand this any longer. Somebody please pay attention to me! Hello, pay attention to me! Look at me! I'm Bart, I'm Bart! Look at me, look at me, look at me! [waggles tongue]

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 13, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

PhilR: That's a load of crap because there are tickets on stub hub for as little as $27 a piece. I used to go to games with my son when I was an E-4 in the Navy because it was a passion we had. As a family we didn't waste money eating out or going to the movie theater. My point is, die hard fans can go. Anyone that can afford high speed internet and monitor a blog all day can afford to go to a Capitals game for 27 bucks.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 13, 2011 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

I actually agree with this. I think the Caps would be better suited to start on the road. There wouldn't be the pressure to perform and they could just go out and play without many distractions.

IMO, I think the home team in game 1 of the playoffs is at a disadvantage(not all game 1s, just the first one of the playoffs). Both teams come out ramped up, but it is the home team that seems to start feeling pressure and gripping their sticks tight.

If I could pick where to play, I would always want to have game 1 on the road. Followed by 3 home games, then a road game, then a home game, then having game 7 on the road(both teams always come out ramped up for game 7s also).

Posted by: sgm3 | January 13, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I think that too many people on this site are panicking.....a change in coaches was all Philly needed last year to turn thing around, make the playoffs, get to the Stanley Cup, and emerge as top team this season. The foundation of a strong team is still here and our goaltending is actually better this year. A lot of the regression on the offensive and PP can be traced to teams having figured out BB's system and his inability to adapt.

BB is a good coach, but I think he's taken this team as far as he can. Coupled with the fact that BB is too close to some of his star players and won't reduce their ice time, it's better for GMGM to make the change now than after the All-Star break. There is also plenty of time to make a trade or two to add some veteran grit & talent upfront, particularly at Center where the Caps are relying to two rookies.

Posted by: wizfan89 | January 13, 2011 2:50 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

i think the hit was intentional but he made it look accidental. Dave Steckel had been playing a very different brand of hockey leading upto that game. It was more than coincidence that he ran over Crosby.

That being said, WHO CARES! Questionable hits are part of hockey and they're part of many winning regimes. So lets assume the hit was intentional, lets assume he got away with it, and lets rejoice in the fact that Crosby got crushed! It makes me happy.

The Pens can't always be on the "giving" end of these types of hits. Sometimes they get to receive em as well.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:51 PM | Report abuse

My point is, die hard fans can go
------------------------------------

as long as your point isn't "die hard fans MUST go"

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

fanohock,

Must be nice to never have to worry about paying your mortgage or electricity bill. 27 bucks a piece is over 100 dollars for my family not to mention gas, metro and refreshments at the game. So I would reply to you that your argument is a load of crap because there is no way we can afford to do that on one salary. And btw, we do not go out to dinner EVER and movies are 1 dollar rentals when they come out on dvd. You have this holier than thou attitude that is quite frankly annoying as hell and comes off as rather boorish. There are people out there right now that can't afford family entertainment, period! We go the the park or free museuams to have fun, you really need to get a clue. You do not have to go to games to be a die hard fan, end of story.

Posted by: PhilR | January 13, 2011 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 13, 2011 2:56 PM | Report abuse

"cstanton1: Die hard fans MUST go, they can't help themselves. It's a friggin' addiction."

---

I don't agree with your premise that being a "die hard fan" means you have to be irresponsible with your money.

Posted by: VTDuffman | January 13, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Why don't you drive and eat food you made from home in your car on the way. That's what we do. I'm not going to get in an argument over this with you and I really do feel blessed for what I have. I also feel for folks that are in your situation due to the economy, honestly, I do. I'm just saying, when I couldn't afford vacations our vacation was a few Caps games a year because we are addicted. There are also ways to get tickets here and there. You still have my email address drop me a line for a game or two that your family can head to and I'll be happy to get you guys out to another one. I have to be honest though, not gonna part with the Pens or Blackhawks tickets. I'm being serious though, drop me an email.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 13, 2011 3:03 PM | Report abuse

hahaha

i laughed out loud, that's rare for me. Thanks VT!

@fanock-- I lived my diehard days already. I've been to tons of Caps games. I will never attend a game if I don't thoroughly enjoy watching my team play. I kinda enjoy em on some nights, and am bored to tears on others.

But even if I did really enjoy watchin em play again, I probably wouldn't make it out to more than 3 games a yr. I'm just lazy that way. I'd rather watch em play on the tube. A big tube. Plus I'm savin my money these days. got big plans! biig planz.

Posted by: cstanton1 | January 13, 2011 3:07 PM | Report abuse

VTDuffman: I don't waste money on cigarettes or alcohol, not implying you do, but Caps hockey is and has always been my vice so I found a way to go. Sorry everyone, in this economy, you're all right, some folks are hard pressed to get to do anything enjoyable.

Posted by: fanohock1 | January 13, 2011 3:09 PM | Report abuse

die hard fans must go? that was a great movie, i don't undestand

ZING

Posted by: _stevo | January 13, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

biggamesid: will you do us a favor and just stop talking? good lord. you are very annoying. go back to pensburgh you little punk.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 13, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

go back to pensburgh you little punk
----------------

Something tells me they don't like the poor kid much over there, either.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | January 13, 2011 3:25 PM | Report abuse

hey fanc0ck1,

you just keep drinking koolaid and rocking the red, I'm not gonna waste my money on these QUITTERS when I can watch the games for free.

Posted by: joek443 | January 13, 2011 3:29 PM | Report abuse

This team has alot of issues. Tampa will win this division. It is clear Ovechkin does not care about this team. He's not in a slump. He's not snakebitten. In years past when Ovi went a few games without scoring, he was still the best player on the ice, flying around making things happen, getting good scoring chances and playing physical. This year version of Ovechkin has been slow and out of shape. Wheres the acceleration through the neutral zone? I'm tired of seeing him lumber his way in to the zone only to pull up and force a pass and turn the puck over. Get your lazy ass moving and drive to the net. Go to youtube and watch some 8 rookie year highlights. Completely different player then this year. He used to be explosive. He looks big and slow now. The weight he has put on isn't helping. After probably the worst game of the year by him and the team last night, he doesn't show up for practice today? Some captain. His first few years I remember him staying on the ice late working on one timer's from his used to be favorite spot on the powerplay. Now he's clearly more focused on making commercials and getting drunk then playing hockey, and it has shown on the ice this year. The fact that today's practice was optional is beyond me. This team showed no heart last night and the last thing any of them need is a day off.

Posted by: capslax23 | January 13, 2011 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Wow - I thought I was bad- you guys are crapping your pants over January games. Crap your pants when they choke in May.

Posted by: lylewimbledon | January 13, 2011 3:52 PM | Report abuse