Carcillo in for Flyers?

The morning skates just wrapped up here at United Center, and it looks like the 'Hawks are going to stick with what worked (sort of) in Game 1 while the Flyers are contemplating some changes ahead of tonight's Game 2.

Chicago Coach Joel Quenneville confirmed that Andrew Ladd (shoulder) skated lightly but isn't ready to return just yet. So that should mean Saturday's hero Tomas Kopecky will be back in.

There's some mystery surrounding the Flyers' lineup, though. We do know that Coach Peter Laviolette is giving Michael Leighton another chance. But there could be some changes up front and perhaps on the blue line.

Daniel Carcillo told reporters that he's back in the lineup after sitting out the past three games as a healthy scratch. Laviolette stopped short of confirming that the agitator will in fact return, but word around here is that he's in for James van Riemsdyk, who was a minus-2 in 9:25 in Saturday's sloppy Cup opener.

"Danny Carcillo has done an excellent job with his discipline when he's been in the lineup," Laviolette said without directly saying Carcillo will play. "He plays an aggressive game. He can agitate a little bit. He's physical. And I think he's done an excellent job of controlling his game and keeping it legal."

There's also some speculation that Laviolette also might sit defenseman Ryan Parent, who played a whopping 41 seconds Saturday and was on the ice for Chicago's first goal.

A couple of other tidbits:

*Patrick Kane (no points, minus-3 in Game 1) said the young 'Hawks nerves should be out of the way now.

"For a lot of us, it's our first time here," Kane said. "Maybe I was overexcited for the situation. I think you try to anticipate too much. So sometimes you go out there and it all backfires on you."

*Kane also said the Blackhawks need to work harder to draw their first penalty of the series.

"If you look at our team, we love the puck possession game," Kane said. "Any team we've played against, we've pretty much out-shot and controlled the puck. I don't know if we did enough of that in Game 1.

Quenneville snapped: "We expect to be on the power play at some point in this series, and hopefully it's tonight."

*Laviolette said he did not like Adam Burish's hit from behind on Lucas Krajicek, calling the play a "dangerous hockey hit." Burish escaped with a boarding minor.

"I personally didn't like the hit," Laviolette said. "I mean, it appeared to me to be from behind and a dangerous hit. I don't think he saw it coming. So I thought it was a dangerous hockey hit."

* The Game 2 winner in the Stanley Cup finals have gone on to win the championship in 53 of 70 years since the current format began in 1939. That's 76 percent.

After the wild way in which Game 1 unfolded, I'm hesitant to predict what's going to happen here tonight. But I will say this: the 'Hawks managed to win even with their top line having arguably its worst game of the postseason. There's no way Kane, Toews and Dustin Byfuglien will be held off the board again, right?

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 31, 2010; 1:54 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Leighton or Boucher? Laviolette not saying (updated)
Next: Former Caps broadcaster Ron Weber honored by Hockey Hall of Fame

Comments

Didn't realize Kane was a minus 3. Ouch. I'm guessing Toews and Byf were minus 3 as well? And yet they still won. And say what you want about Briere, but the guy is money in the post season.

Posted by: dfe1 | May 31, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, the entire 1st line was -3. Flyers 1st wasn't much better - each was -2, I think. 2nd and 3rd lines came up huge for both teams. And as much as I can't stand Briere, he comes up big when he needs to.

Posted by: timmyv38 | May 31, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Yes, where was our second and third line scoring for us?

Posted by: dfe1 | May 31, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

They just put up a graphic on Carcillo, "Did Not Dress the Last Three Games."

So mrstominsocal1 asks, "What did he do, play naked?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | May 31, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

They just put up a graphic on Carcillo, "Did Not Dress the Last Three Games."

So mrstominsocal1 asks, "What did he do, play naked?"

Posted by: tominsocal1 | May 31, 2010 8:28 PM
-----------------------
Carcillo naked? Now there's a picture I do NOT want to see!

Posted by: tess2201 | May 31, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Saw Greenie tonight during the Stanley Cup finals.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 31, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Carcillo in? Yes. Should have been? Maybe. Admittedly, I just caught the first two periods, but the best open ice hit I saw him give was to his own teammate, Carter. He seemed out of control in the first period. There is physical play, and then there is dumb play. It seemed like he was a little more in control in the second. I am sure Laviolette wil have him playing with a touch more discipline in the next game.

Posted by: _Mark | June 1, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

This is still a Caps blog, right?

Posted by: pivo20 | June 1, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

It is a Capscentric blog, but in the absence of Caps news, I sure don't mind other hockey related insights. Better than "dead air".

Posted by: _Mark | June 1, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

great series so far, glad to see it. Two teams who play a throwback style of hockey. So much for the crap about the game has changed to such an extent that chippy physical teams don't stand a chance. Neither of these two teams with the exception of about 4-6 players on each side skate at a world-class level. Both teams are primarily teams who play an aggressive brand of hockey with some (not many) skilled players.

Hope McPhee's got his notepad handy. His hockey vision is obviously impaired.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 1, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Bettman stated that he expects the salary cap to rise $2 million. Much more than previously expected. This should definitely increase the Caps chances of acquiring the top pairing defenseman (Volchenkov) and a 2nd line center.

However, this will clearly help out other cap strapped team as well. Such as the Pens, Chicago, Philly, Rangers, Habs, Detroit, etc.

Posted by: sgm3 | June 1, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The more we talk about AV, the less chances I think we'll have of getting him. One, I'm not convinced the Caps are THAT interested in him. They haven't acquired a single player in that vein unless you want to include one raw unpolished prospect like a Joe Finley.
Two, they haven't shown any willingness to outbid other teams for a top notch FA player.
Three, Caps fans are hyper-focused on AV.

I say chances of us landing him are less than 50%. But I'll keep my fingaz x-ed

re: the 2nd line center -- there are so many different ways to go. We need a specific TYPE of center to play the 2nd line. Not just ANY 2nd line center. You want someone at that position who is physically strong and ultra-competitive and still has a good skill-set to dish the puck around. A younger version of a Daymond Langkow type would be ideal.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 1, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

---------------

he also laid into Seabrook and Bfug

Doubt the Caps would ever be interested in that type of player. Boudreau has already expresses his distaste for players like Carcillo and Konopka, mostly due to his Bears teams having run-ins with those types in the minors. I guess Bruce doesn't remember what Louis Robitaille was like.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 1, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Carcillo has played better this year and has been effective in general, as long as he doesn't lose control. He seems to snap sometimes and just loses it and does more harm to his own team than good.

Posted by: _Mark | June 1, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

i guess times have changed. Back in the day, players like Carcillo were given quite a few yrs to learn how to really control their temper. As long as they produced in other ways, their teams were patient with bad penalties and hoped that maturity would seep in at some point so the player could finetune his game between still being an aggressive chippy player but minimizing blatantly bad penalties esp in critical situations. Nowdays a player doesn't get that kind of leash. It took Tocchet about 10 yrs to tune down his temper to where it was manageable. The Flyers have a long history dealing with a certain type of player which is why they show more patience with kids like Carcillo. They recognize his strengths instead of just viewing him as a liability on the ice.

Posted by: cstanton1 | June 1, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Quick story on Konopka, who I think would be great for this team. I think he was playing in the Columbus system, but in the AHL with the Syracuse Crunch. His contract was up and he knew he'd never get a real chance to play in the NHL with Ken Hitchcock in Columbus, who's views on tough/grit guys seems to mirror that of GMGM/BB. He played maybe 10 NHL games over 2 years. So the Syracuse Crunch offered him upwards of $200,000 to play in the AHL, (AHL avg is probably $85-$90K) knowing he'd never get the call full time. The team and the fans loved the guy.

He said thanks but no thanks, I want to play in the NHL full time. Long story short, he went to Norfolk to play for probably $90,000, for the chance to play for the Lightning. He got called up a few times in 08/09 and and played all year this year in Tampa. He was a great find for a team that needed a little energy. We need a few more players like him in this league, and more importantly, on this team.

I'd take Konopka or Carcillo on the Caps any day. Wake up Ted and GMGM. Happy hockey isn't working.

Posted by: Fletch22 | June 2, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

@ fletch22

absolutely!! I don't know why caps management recently (after '08-09 season) decided to deny the fanbase the one aspect of the sport that makes hockey unique. I wan't to see NHL hockey, not some college/euro brand the franchise is now selling.

Posted by: vermontcaps | June 2, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse