Posted at 9:37 PM ET, 11/28/2010

Bruce Boudreau discusses altered lines in Capitals' 3-2 win over Hurricanes

By Greg Schimmel

Alex Ovechkin's shootout goal gave the Capitals a 3-2 victory over Carolina on Sunday at Verizon Center, but Hurricanes center Eric Staal's goal at 19 minutes 57 seconds of the third period sent the game into overtime and prevented the Caps from getting their third straight regulation win against a division opponent.

The Caps were coming off perhaps their most complete game of the season Friday night at Tampa Bay, so it was a bit surprising when Coach Bruce Boudreau significantly shuffled the forward lines for Sunday's matchup with the Hurricanes.

Both of the Caps' regulation goals were scored by players (Marcus Johansson and Alexander Semin) taking a pass from a linemate (Eric Fehr and Alex Ovechkin, respectively) who skated on a different line in the previous game, but it was still a curious decision to make so many changes.

Semin was back on the top line with Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom, Tomas Fleischmann was back in the lineup on the second line with Brooks Laich and Mike Knuble, and Johansson was moved down to the third line centering Jason Chimera and Fehr.

Boyd Gordon was a healthy scratch instead of Fleischmann.

After the game, Boudreau gave a lengthy explanation for his tinkering:

"I feel we have 14 good players that play forward," Boudreau said. "And you have a 25-goal scorer in Tomas Fleischmann, okay, and you're not sitting him out because he's not playing good, you're sitting him out because you're trying to get the most people involved. You'll probably see D.J. King playing [in the Caps' next game Wednesday] in St. Louis, and it's not because of anything that any of these guys did wrong. It's because I firmly believe that if you want a team concept you've got to play the team. You can't have guys being out all the time. We've done this all year, I think. I think we're leading the league right now so it's working on us.

"When you're at home and you have the last change and the other team doesn't know what your lines are going to be, it's really hard for them to matchup with what you want. We can put a Semin-Ovechkin line together with Mike Knuble being in the lineup and Tomas Fleischmann being in the lineup and Boyd Gordon not, it makes us mix things up."

Boudreau also explained the decision to move Ovechkin back to the left wing with Semin on the right after Ovechkin had been successful as the right wing on a line with Laich and Backstrom the past few games.

"We're not planning on keeping Alex Ovechkin a right winger his whole career," Boudreau said. "If he's not going to be playing right wing, and he's going back to the left side, we had the choice of putting Semin up there or putting Knuble up there. For tonight, for the most part, I didn't want them playing against Staal's line so I thought I'd match them all up and last year that line scored five points against them.

"There's a lot of thoughts that go into changing the lines. I just don't throw up Ping-Pong balls and see what numbers [come up.] I think about it all the time."

A few more game notes from Sunday, courtesy of the Caps:

-- Ovechkin's last eight points have all been assists and he has assisted on eight of the Caps' last 11 goals. His 22 assists this season are tied for second in the league with Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby and behind only Vancouver's Henrik Sedin.

-- The Caps have scored first in seven of their last nine games after scoring the first goal in only four of their first 16 games this season.

-- The Caps won 33 of 59 faceoffs (56 percent) Sunday, winning more than 50 percent of faceoffs for the 12th straight game.

-- After successfully killing all three of their penalties tonight, the Caps have killed off 20 of their last 23 short-handed situations.

By Greg Schimmel  | November 28, 2010; 9:37 PM ET
Categories:  Alex Ovechkin, Carolina Hurricanes, Lineups
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: Capitals vs. Hurricanes
Next: Afternoon roundup: Cody Eakin invited to try out for Canada's junior team

Comments

they seem to be learning how to play the close games. s*cks for varly that they couldn't keep that last one out. they need to play many more of these one goal games - each one, win or lose, will help prepare for the playoffs.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 28, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

------------------------

HOWEVER they do very much care about NOT losing crucial defensive zone faceoffs... notice I didn't say winning faceoffs, I said NOT losing them.

Posted by: joek443 | November 28, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"notice I didn't say winning faceoffs, I said NOT losing them"

in my world "NOT losing" is winning

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 28, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Umm... wasn't that Mike Green guy looking pretty injured towards the end of the game. He's a pretty key player, right? Why the heck aren't we hearing anything about him? (even if it's the standard Boudreau "he's okay... day to day" which we know means 2 or 3 weeks).

Either way, would be nice to have some acknowledgement of the injury and at least an attempt to discern the severity...

Posted by: chombie13 | November 28, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

From ESPN.com's game notes:

Capitals D Mike Green returned after missing two games with an undisclosed injury. Green skated off the ice in apparent pain after blocking a shot with his leg in overtime. "Have you ever blocked a shot? It hurts," Boudreau said. "He's going to be fine, but they hurt."

Posted by: Forts | November 28, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------

the only way that would ever change is if people started to bet on NHL games like they do on NFL games... which is not likely to happen anytime soon.

Posted by: joek443 | November 28, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

joek: Give it up. We understand you think Steckel should have pulled out a foreign object from under his belt and stuck it in Staal's eye. Time to move on.

OK, so I don't understand how it is with the line moves being so successful Friday night how we undo them. Clearly team played better vs Tampa. Semin was unstoppable. I disagree with BB here. Usually he is very superstitious (like me) and being that way NO WAY would I switch up so much. NO WAY after Friday do I bring back Flash for today nor move Semin off LW.

I believe a very effective technique for Caps is have Semin and Ovi listed as "forward" rather than LW or RW and then switch them around on circumstance. Semin can obviously play both and Ovi is on RW anyway often on PP (during the rotation).

BTW, did Flash do anything noteworthy today?

To the Fehr bashers: That was a great forecheck and pass he made to set up MaJo goal.

Go back anyone and re-watch and it was pretty much a mistake-free game (except Backie mistake on Canes first goal). Some might criticize Steckel losing that last draw but you just can't win them all.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 28, 2010 10:26 PM | Report abuse

Bruce is a tool.

Posted by: capscapscaps2 | November 28, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

i'll go on record as saying green has a 'lower body injury'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 28, 2010 10:39 PM | Report abuse

I thought Ovi's assist tonight was world class.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | November 28, 2010 10:48 PM | Report abuse

@Tom

I'm not sure why you mess with lines after a game like that either. I was very happy to see MaJo put one in tho. This kid is gonna be a great player in this league. I'd like to see him and Chimmer up top killin penalties with all that speed.

I haven't read any posts except the ones on this "link" but I take it Steckel is getting hammered for losing the draw. Like you said you can't win em all. Something that may have been missed though is BB pulled OV off the ice late and put Backy on in the event Stecks got thrown out of the dot. I think that was a good move by BB. Maybe a TO would've been appropriate? That's what I was thinking anyway when this was going on. Hindsight is 20/20 tho.

The bottom line is elite teams find ways to win games like this and like Capt Kirk said winning these games will only make us more prepared for the playoffs.

On a side note, there were some "trade winds" twirling today with the Caps being mentioned heavily. Not sure what it was all about(i'll keep ya posted) as I'm still trying to figure out what was up but there for a bit I was expecting a post game press conf.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 28, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I thought Ovi's assist tonight was world class.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan |
----------------------------------

Without a doubt. For a second you thought he was gonna lose the puck or have to peel off but made a "world class" play like you said. Bottom line is you just can't stop that!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 28, 2010 11:09 PM | Report abuse

On Gordon being a "healthy" scratch: I noticed that he was not at practice yesterday and didn't even do the pre-game warmup, although even DJ King did the warmup.

I frankly have my doubts that it's a healthy scratch.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@Forts & @joek (among others),

Let's hope Green is okay for Wednesday's game. (If we get the news on Tuesday that Fahey's called up again, then we know the answer is negative.)

I also take it that Sloan's available for Wednesday's game, if needed. I assumed IR is for a week.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | November 28, 2010 11:23 PM | Report abuse

@pokerface

Read this earlier:
Rumors indicate that Tomas Fleishmann may be playing his final game of his Washington career tonight as the Capitals are looking to trade the forward to Vancouver for Kevin Bieksa.

Posted by: nicety251 | November 28, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: nicety251 | November 29, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Sounds something like what was being talked about on Twitter today at http://twitter.com/dchesnokov

Posted by: icehammer97 | November 29, 2010 12:19 AM | Report abuse

If Vancouver expects Salo back, Bieksa for Fleishmann makes sense for both teams.
If Green is out wouldn't it be nice that we make this trade tomorrow?
I would love to see Ovie finish with 35 goals and 75 assists. He would be more effective in the playoffs if the defense isn't sure if he is passing or shooting.

Posted by: chriscaps | November 29, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

If theres a Flesichmann for Bieksa offer on the table, I'll take that ten out of ten times.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | November 29, 2010 12:59 AM | Report abuse

I pray to the hockey god's this deal goes thru!

Posted by: darrylrbaker | November 29, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

I have a theory that the Caps are going after Souray somehow.

Posted by: pkme | November 29, 2010 1:35 AM | Report abuse

I don't notice some of the names on here but others here can verify I had this deal out over the summer. I haven't been on the net for the past couple of days so I wasn't sure what was exactly out there. Tom (among others) can verify that I called this deal and said it would probably go down exactly how the Chimmer for Clark deal went down. There were discussions in the off season and it didn't happen for whatever reason but the ground work was there for a deal. I typically hear from "contacts" or friends of mine in the hockey community a bit before news like this is released. Don't get me wrong I'm no Eklund and mostly care about what the Caps are doing vs. other teams but I'm always interested in the inner workings of teams etc. At the same time I'm not here to prove anything so I just share what I know and you can do with it as you wish. I think I've had discussions in the past with PhilR as well.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 29, 2010 1:36 AM | Report abuse

@tomin"Gov.MOONBEAM-is-BACK"-socal

I loved Paul Maurice's comment that the Caps were playing better team defense this season. This is great news, as he would know better than just about anyone. We play them so often.

Poti not putting the body on Staal ?

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | November 29, 2010 3:06 AM | Report abuse

Wow, after I went to bed, some fireworks. The Caps played an awesome first period, but let their foot off the gas in the early second. They had one shot on goal at 12 minutes into the period. Yes, the Canes played better, but not that much better in the second. That is the trend that bothers me about the Caps -- inconsistent play. The Caps got better in the 3rd and Ward was terrific, just a brick wall. I do like the Caps new committment to team defense, but the script for this game was almost identical to the Wednesday game with the Canes.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 4:54 AM | Report abuse

And Flash for Bieksa, yes please. Flash just does not fit on a team overloaded with scoring wingers and underloaded with gritty defensemen, esp. with Poti and Green in and out of the lineup. And the Flash as center experiment is just not working, frankly. The Caps need two legit scoring lines, and MaJo seems to be finding his groove.

I am wondering if Knubs will get back his scoring touch this year. He has looked out of sorts, even before the broken jaw. Last night he had a few more gaffes.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 5:00 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface - those wikiLeaks people never stop do they??

I'm thinking the trade is attractive, we have an abundance of forwards. I like Flash, but if he can fetch Bieksa in a trade all by himself - that is, if Bieksa is roughly Flash's equivalent - then it's not much of an upgrade, except over Sloan, Fahey, et all (which alone does make it worth it). I'm wondering how this works with the cap.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if both Flash and King go (I'm thinking the Caps would make that move at this point).

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 29, 2010 6:01 AM | Report abuse

speaking of Flash - #14 and #28 worked very well together for a month last year, then that evaporated. I would not ever claim #28 would intentionally do this (I'm sure he would not), but is it possible for players to tank on their linemate? They don't really want to skate with that guy, so they - unconsciously - don't click with them?

Posted by: RedLitYogi | November 29, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't place too much stock in this rumor stuff; it rarely pans out. Here we have the start of the rumor from Dmitrty Chesnokov (who stopped tweeting about this possibility yesterday afternoon), and then it's backed by a single source -- Raihan Hussain -- who calls it Flash for Bieska, and that's it.

Posted by: Justafan | November 29, 2010 6:14 AM | Report abuse

The Cap difference between Bieksa and Flash is less than 1 million and both are UFA's. The differnce would be pro-rated, so the Caps can eat the difference pretty easily. Bieksa could skate on the top line when Green is hurt or with Erskine when Poti is hurt -- or with Green or Poti to add more grit.

Poti and Green have been pretty nicked up so far, so Bieksa would add grit and line-up flexibility. I doubt BB will break up Alzner-Carlson any time soon the way they are playing together.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 6:31 AM | Report abuse

After all the off season rumors I will believe a trade is going to happen when it is actually announced by team officials.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

At the game last night, it looked like Green stopped the puck VERY high up on his leg, if you know what I mean. Couldn't have been pleasant, but maybe it was just the angle I saw that made it look that way.

Flash looked better to me last night than he has in a while, but he still seems out of place on the team.

FWIW, there was a cool animated video on the jumbotron of Semin after he scored.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 29, 2010 7:53 AM | Report abuse

dccitizen1,

My view from my living roon showed that puck hitting Green squarely in the kneecap. Locker was going on about how there is no padding there at all. And that ebtire 2nd line looked really bad to me last night but maybe it was just because I couldn't see the whole ice on my tv.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

Question...possibly a stupid one...but if it did hit Green on the Knee cap, couldn't that be a "good thing"...b/c unless the puck actually broke his knee (which I doubt as he would not have gotten up from that) then it is probably just a bad bone bruise which while horribly painful is not going to be serious...my knee anatomy is not very good, so I am probably saying something really stupid right now, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

capscoach,

I have been hit in the knee with a puck more than once and it made it pretty much impossible for me to skate for the next couple weeks as I couldn't bend/flex my leg (which is obviously needed to skate) without being in excruciating pain. Now as a professional athlete I would assume they would give injections to make the pain more bearable but I do not envy him trying to get out of bed this morning!

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

but I guess my question is...while really painful...do we need to worry about long term recovery with an injury like that...I just thought we wouldn't have to worry about it being a nagging injury after it heals.

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

In my experience I would say there are no worries long term, it will just hurt like heck for a couple weeks.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Love BB's quote:

"You ever blocked a shot? They friggin' hurt," Boudreau said. "He's going to be fine, but they hurt."

Posted by: Justafan | November 29, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

@justafan

any time BB says friggin it is going to be funny :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

PhilR, thanks for the view report. I'm sure a knee hit is better than the other type of hit I thought Green suffered.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | November 29, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

If this alleged trade were to come true, if would be happy with the roster for now!

MaJo is clearly (imo) the nr.2 C for the future, so i dont think we need to trade for a C like Zajac/Lombardi/Cullen with several years left on their contracts.
We could use a vet with experience at C,(dream scenario Brad Richards) maybe Doug Weight, but i dont know if he still has the wheels to be a nr 2?

I rather get a rental for this year and give Semin a powerforward to play with , and im not talking an Eric Fehr-type of PF. One that finnishes checks AND can put the puck in the net. I'm thinking more like:
- Dustin Brown $3,150,000 through 2013-14, 24g 32a 287 hits
- Alexandre Burrows $2,000,000 through 2012-13, 35g 32a 97 hits
- David Backes $4,500,000 through 2015-16, 17g 31a 266 hits
- Ryan Callahan $2,300,000 RFA, 19g 18a 285 hits
- Ryan Malone $4,500,000 through 2014-15, 21g 26a 178 hits (in 69 games)
- James Neal $2,875,000 through 2011-12, 27g 28a 174 hits
- René Bourque £3,333,333 through 2015-16, 27g 31a 91 hits (in 73 games).

Theese players would be hard to get, but worth it going forward. Because IMHO this is not the year we have the best chance of winning it. Carlson, Alzner, our goalie tandem (Varly might get a Jon Quick-contract around $1,8 mil) and MaJo will still cost us pretty much the same in a couple of years, but with more to bring to the table.

Hopefully we can lock up Semin for around Backstroms salary, and hope that Eakin is ready for the big league next season. Adding a John Madden-type for our 4th centerposition would be a great addition also. BoyGo is a ok back-up.
It will be interesting to see what Evgeny Kuznetsov can bring next camp, maybe he can earn the 14th forwardspot. He has 8 goals (and 4 assists) in 26 games (3ev 4pp 1shg) playing 11 minutes/game his 2nd yr in KHL.
I would love something like this for next yr.

FORWARDS
Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Backstrom ($6.700m) / Laich ($3.600m)
Burrows ($2.000m) / Johansson ($0.900m) / Semin ($6.700m)
A.Gordon ($0.550m) / Eakin ($0.660m) / Chimera ($1.875m)
Bradley ($1.100m) / Madden ($1.100m) / Hendricks ($0.650m)
Kuznetsov ($0.875m) / B.Gordon ($0.900m)

DEFENSEMEN
Bieksa ($3.750m) / Green ($5.250m)
Alzner ($1.000m) / Carlson ($0.845m)
Schultz ($2.750m) / Poti ($2.875m)
Erskine ($1.300m)

GOALTENDERS
Neuvirth ($1.150m) /Varlamov ($1.800m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,869,850; BONUSES: $80,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,530,150

So we can use Steckel, Fleischmann, Knuble, Fehr, DJ King, possibly MP and Holtby and some picks for a #2 wing, a rental #2C and a top-2 defenseman.

Get on it GMGM!!

Posted by: Walle | November 29, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

A rental veteran center at the deadline for the playoffs is what i meant, and trade now for a #2 line winger to complement Semin..

Burrows is currently not on the PP in Vancouver and from what i can tell 3 line minutes, or atleast 6 other forwards is averaging more icetime. So he doesn't seem untouchable.

Posted by: Walle | November 29, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

@Walle,

No way should Holtby's name be tied to any potential trades, the guy is going to be the best of the three we have....mark my words!

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Burrows is signed at only $2 million which is a heck of a bargain for a guy who plays tough and has scored 30+ goals.... I don't see much chance of them dealing him (as much as I'd love to have him on the Caps).

Posted by: chombie13 | November 29, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Its very unfortunate about that last Canes goal. Steks CANNOT let Staal waltz around him and get a free path to the front of the net. With 3 seconds left he can tackle him to prevent him getting to the front.
Pots is as much to blame as Stecks....but there is no excuse for letting them tie the game off of a faceoff draw with 3 seconds to go. Hopefully this is a lesson learned for future games.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | November 29, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

----
@PhilR:
I've been in the camp since last season as well.

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 29, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Frank,

Nice to see someone else on the Holtby bandwagon, there were a LOT of bashers after his last two games here. To me the entire team was to blame for those two losses as they played horribly in front of him but that is just my opinion.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Some fun facts,

Andrew Gordon is the leading scorer and leading goal scorer in the AHL currently.

Mathieu Perreault is the leading points per game guy in the AHL currently.

Mathieu Perreault is 10th in the league in scoring despite playing in only 16 games where the players ahead of him have played 21-24 games.

The guy Perreault beat out in the QMJHL scoring race in back to back years is the current leading scorer of the Flyers.

It is time to promote or trade these guys.

Posted by: born_rpm | November 29, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

While I would not trade Holtby because he is still learning the fine art of goaltending in the NHL, some of those goals he let in were softies. The Kane turn-around when Holtby was looking forward was an outstanding one. Neuvy looked bad at times last year, but is solid now. I think Holtby will follow a similar track if the Caps give him time to develop in the AHL, this year and maybe next. So no, don't trade him; let Irbe coach him up.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

-------------

you ever heard of Jim Carey? you know the guy who won the first Vezina as a Caps' goalie?

goalies come and go, it's ridiculous to declare anyone, let alone who has only played in a few games in the NHL as an untouchable.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Carey was rushed into the starting role and never learned not to go down too soon into the butterfly or work on his slow glove hand. He was acrobatic, but impatient. So, let a kid learn in the AHL before rushing him. Not a great comparison, JOEK, imho. But if the right trade came along for Holtby (true 2C or blue-chip shut-down defender), then GMGM should listen -- however unlikely such a trade would be.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

joek,

Most of the things you spew on here are considered ridiculous by most so you stating that my statement is ridiculous is pretty comical. I have seen more of Holtby than most on here as I see my share of Bears games and I feel he will be the best of the three and should be considered untradeable at this point. And yes, heard of Jim Carey who I was never really overly impressed with, to me there is no comparison.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Jim Carey was 22 when he started playing for the Caps I believe and spent more time in the AHL than Holtby has so far.

And he played one or two years at the University of Wisconsin before he even started his pro career.

The guy won the friggin' Vezina and you say he wasn't ready for the NHL??? LMAO you know who he beat out for the Vezina? how about Marty Brodeur, ever heard of him??

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@capscoach & PhilR
It actually, to me, looked like he took it off the side of his knee, where there is usually just padding and not hard plastic. My bet is that hurt like crazy and barring any breaks, he should be ok. Weeks may be going a bit too far, especially with what pro athletes have available for recovery purposes. But he more than likely has a nasty bruise and some crazy swelling. Once the swelling subsides, he will most likely play...he might even play Wed & Thurs.

@pokerface
I can attest to your summer trade talks and your sources. For those that dont read posts from poker often, his intel typically seems to be spot on.

And let's give it up for my boy Semin. Dude is a beast...even HunterforCoach will acknowledge this by the season end. =)

As for the game tying goal, it was painful to watch Staal just sitting there untouched. Gotta put that clown on his rear. Would have been nice to not give them a point, at least Ovie saved us the 2.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 29, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

So when we get an Open Thread the night before, we don't get a Morning Roundup? Is this due to the fact that since the Caps don't play until Wednesday and there is probably no practice today.
Can the WashPo be consistent.

Posted by: instinct227 | November 29, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI,

I'm not doubting that he will more than likely play in the next game since they can numb that knee up so it's bearable for him. I just know from experience how much that hurt and that I could barely walk less more get on skates.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

@JOEK, Two years at U Wisconsin and not even a year in the AHL (55 games in Portland and 28 in Washington in 1994-1995). He won the Vezina which was a shocker then and much more so now. His numbers were 35-24-9 with a gaa of 2.26 and a .906 save% -- so good, but Vezina good, no. Marty Brodeur was 34-30-11, 2.14,and .911. So MB did not have a great year. He got better over time actually. In sum, 2 years in college and less than one in the AHL, and did not learn to adjust his game is rushed to me. So before you mouth off, look at the facts, jackass.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

@Capsfannmiss

You can blame Steckel 100% for losing the draw cleanly, but I can't really find any fault with what he did after. I mean, he's got to go out and challenge the shot from the point, and that's what he did. I think Poti deserves most of the blame for not getting a body on the opponent crashing the net. He was a total spectator on the play.

Posted by: cainoo7x | November 29, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

JIMALLCAPS,

As I stated, most on here feel that most of the things that guy spews are ridiculous. I should have known better than to even respond to his post, just consider the source.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

And the more surprising beat outs by Carey (well really the Vezina voters) were Roy and Hasek in the mid-90's. Brodeur was not the top goalie back then, but soon would become.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

hey JIMALLCAPS2,

let me ask you something, you ever even watched Carey play or are you one of those "rock the red" fans who became a fan 3 years ago?

whatever hype there has been with Neuvy,Varly or Holtby.. you multiply by about a hundred and that's how most of us felt about Carey when he first came up.

so before you MOUTH OFF on something you have no idea about, know what the heck you're talKing about NOOB!!!

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

LMAO @ PhilR

you've just declared Holtby the next Jacques Plante and I'm the one who's ridiculous???

that's a typical Caps' fan for ya.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

@PhilR

I agree sir.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 29, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

also to suggest Carey's Vezina wasn't worthy is absolutely ridiculous... you know how difficult it was for any Caps' player to win any of these awards back then???

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

----
@joek:

Carey played 55 Games in the AHL before playing another 28 with the Caps in DC.

The next season he didn't play in the A, he played 71 Games for the Caps! 71 GAMES! That's a lot for a young goalie.

Then he played 40 the next season and was traded to Boston... so yes, he was rushed... something Varly, Neuvy and Holtby don't have to worry about...

The reason I say don't trade Holtby is because of his progress at a young age AND his positioning. When Dave prior says that Holtby's technique is better than the other two (SV & MV), you should listen. And that was said last year!

Carey's stats:

Holtby's stats:

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 29, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

joek443: Wrong again. Wasn't a whole lotta hype when Carey came up. Caps were struggling mightily in the 1995 only shortened season (didn't start until late Jan due to strike). Caps early were like 3-10-3 with Dafoe and Kolzig in net. Out of desperation they brought up Carey. Actually Carey, Gonchar and a few others maybe benefitted from playing at Hershey all season while the vets came in very late with short camp and struggled. Carey won first game I was listening to Ron Weber he beat Isles 4-3 as they scored 1 second left to make it close. Then he got really hot for about two months. Starting the next season he was exposed high glove side and never adapted. He was a one-hit wonder.

I'm not a "Rock the Red" three-year fan. I lived in Baltimore then and was a STH. So there.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 29, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Steckel simply needs to put up a better fight than he did on that last draw in regulation.

8 seconds of hell from the Caps and that game is a wrap. Its his "specialty" and he should have executed.

"You can't win them all" - TRUE
He gets paid to win THAT ONE (or at a minimum, give 'em hell! - also TRUE

It was a soft 7+ seconds by the whole squad, and in crunch time (like the playoffs), you just can't allow that stuff.

CAPS REGULAR SEASON = PLAYOFFS PRACTICE.

...and I am runnin' out of free passes for blunders.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@ JOKE (cuz that's what you are), I have probably been a Caps fan longer than you have. I watched Carey's rocket ride up in NHL popularity knowing he was gonna come down fast because he was a one-trick pony. He over-reacted to first shots or feints leaving an open back-door, gave up huge rebounds, and had a slow glove hand. After an offseason with tape, Carey was lit up like a Christmas tree. I watched and told by hockey buddies that Kolzig was a much more sound goalie who would get a long-term call up after learning the ropes in the AHL.

If you relied on facts and not bluster, you'd look like less of an idiot. You often mouth off on this blog like hyper kid. Nuff said, NOOB

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

the problem with Carey was totally between his ears, he just couldn't perform in the playoffs when he first faced the Pens...

then it got worse and worse... I don't give a rats a$$ about any minor league goalies, till he can show he belongs in the NHL, he's just another minor league goalie

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

BTW

This blog used to be a top notch operation. It had a rhythm, you knew what to expect, and when.

And the face at the top used to comment inside to, which showed that somebody was readin' comments.

Now I don't know whats goin' on, it just ain't the same.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | November 29, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

LMAO count all the Caps players who have won a major individual award before Ovi... I believe you only need ONE hand.

and YOU say Carey's Vezina wasn't worthy??

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey joek, why don't you go watch some re-runs of NASCAR races. Hopefully you know more about that as you certainly seem to have pretty poor hockey knowledge.

And if you have read this blog before you should know that I am far from a "typical Caps fan", most on here consider me a dark sider like you. I just so happen to like Holtby's game and think his future is quite bright. And I certainly do not remember all the hype you are speaking of concerning Carey and I have been following the team since their inception.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

-----------------------

according to most "fans" on here that was no big deal...

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Although I dont like to agree with him, joek is kind of right about the hype aspect of Carey. Man did they ever promote that guy. Pretty much every Jim Carey (the actor) character was a mascot for the Caps games. They had nut jobs running up and down the stairs in bright yellow suits and green painted faces, etc.

I personally didnt like Carey, after games he was a total d-bag AND almost ran me over in his Ford Explorer. And now he bags groceries somewhere...so I sleep better at night. =)

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 29, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

@JOKE -- why don't you actually look up some Caps awards before you mouth off. Here's a site you can look up, it's called google. Really, try it. You seem to have a web-browser and an internet connection. Look up facts; it's really easy. Even a caveman like yourself can do it. You'll see a couple Norris trophies, a Selke, a Jennings, and even a Jack Adams all before Carey's Vezina (and another Vezina not long afterwards to a goalie who got time to mature in the AHL).

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

hey are you sure Langway's back to back Norris was worthy?

how about Jarvis' Selke??

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@ JIMALLCAPS2

how many players and coaches is that?

you gonna need two hand to count them???

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

and Jennings is NOT an individual award... it's a team award.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1:
It was Portland back then, not Hershey. just an fyi!

basically, Carey was a poor mans Tabaracci!

@JIMALLCAPS2:
excellent analysis. Kolzig was better because of positioning... which is why I think of the three goalies Holtby will win out and then Neuvirth and Varly will be traded!

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 29, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

SAOTI: I will disagree with you. Carey came up after Dafoe and Kolzig had failed and Caps were really struggling and it was like "let's give all the goalies a chance." Then he got hot and with the actor being so hot at the time it became a big promotion. It was his name at first that got him all the attention. Then he in fact played very well until April, 1996 vs Pens in playoffs when he was exposed big time. He never recovered. High, glove-side was like a free goal. And he wouldn't take any coaching. Got a big contract and fell off the earth.

Honestly, Varly got more attention from the team before coming up than Carey got before he came up. Carey was third in line behind Dafoe and Kolzig and no one expected him to play until they both failed in Feb, 1995. I think we even had another goalie that year (was Beaupre still here?) who was maybe injured, so Carey perhaps was #4 on depth chart to start that season.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 29, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

@ JOKE, please keep posting as you continually make my points. An idiot says what?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrankM73 | November 29, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Frank: Yes, Portland. And I think Tabby was our #1 that year with Kolzig and Dafoe #2A and 2B and Carey 4th. Tabby maybe (or whoever was vet starter) got hurt, Kolzig and dafoe failed and Carey (with a full year of minors to combat rusty vets) took off like a rocket. All the next year he was great until Playoffs.

wtf_e_fehr: Yes, last night I posted how with 7 seconds left you do everything incl gouging the other players' eyes out to not let them score. So, I do blame Stecks and Poti for not tackling all the Canes if nec to prevent that goal. Suppose 7 secs left faceoff you just tackle them all. At least five secs will go off before a whistle and then no time to score. Had Poti tackled Staal, he gets a penalty with 2 secs left but no goal and no time for them. He's a vet and should know better and that's a bad sign for playoffs. Hopefully Bieksa will be here soon and he would've been out there instead.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 29, 2010 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Kolzig was bouncing around like a yo-yo from one team to another for 6 or 7 years in the minors after the Caps drafted him in the first round...

he was Carey's backup, NOT the other way around... after Carey faltered in the playoffs and Kolzig became the player Poile thought he would be when he picked him. but that took about 7 years.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

@tom

I am only talking about the way the Caps hyped him once he was playing (and winning) is all. Nothing more in depth. Granted there is no rubbery actor talking with his butt named Semyon Varlamov, but even if there was, I dont think today's organization would hype a player via costumed mascots in the stands. Just jumbotron fun time cinema hype.

The old organization had no issue promoting and hyping Carey.

I mean, even Ted's cash cow Ovie doesnt have an Ovie mascot running around in the stands.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | November 29, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering which Cap would bag the empty netter, and wondering if it was OV how long before BigGameSid would post saying that all OV can score is open netters. I did not expect Staal to make Poti look silly. Come on Tom, I know you like to stick check, but 2 seconds on the clock and in the crease, it's clobberin' time as the Thing says. That's what the Caps need -- the Thing on skates. Varly already looks like Mr. Fantastic/Stretch at times, and Semin like the Flame. Sorry, I don't see any Jessica Alba's as Mrs. Fantastic on the ice. Well maybe Flash as he seems invisible for games at a time.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Frank: You can see Carey's save % was like .913 to Kolzig .902 yet Carey 16 wins and Kolzig 2-8-2. Carey was very good that year but we also had a good D and Kolzig was a victim of team didn't score. I remember some of Carey's games well under 20 SOG for other team. Carey rode the hot wave, got a 4-yr new contract for $10M after 1996 and then disappeared.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

@ JIMALLCAPS2

do you know how to count??

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Kolzig was NEVER the number one at any time with the Caps before he became Carey's backup. then he evetually beat him out after Carey's nightmares in the playoffs.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

This nostalgia is great – but comparing kolzig and carey has no relevance in regards to varly, neuvy and holtby.
There are plenty of teams that have issues with depth at goalie – but at this point the caps don’t seem to be one of them. The caps appear to have three very promising young goalies and to part with any of them before you know what you really have would be foolish

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 29, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Know how to count? Yes. Do you know what a non sequitor is? Your innane comments show me that you practice that fallacy, but you probably are too stupid to know what it is. Maybe you can google the term, you know with the internet?

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

@ JIMALLCAPS2

do you have 5 fingers on each hand??

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Spot on, Cap'n. Yeah, a simple thread idea of trading Holtby because he is not that good turned into a fun blog for my morning and some good nostaglia for others. Is Holtby the next coming of Carey, no. Does he need more time in the minors, I think so. My only point is not to rush a prospect, especially a goalie.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

do you have 5 fingers on each hand??

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 12:05 PM

i'm gonna guess JIMALLCAPS2 has four fingers and a thumb

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 29, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Yeah some cavemen have not developed an opposible thumb yet

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS2 | November 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

so used my lunch break to look at youtube videos and stumbled across game 4 versus the rangers when Avery was mouthing off to Varly...who didn't speak a word of english at the time! Leave it to Avery to attempt to bug a goalie who can't understand English.

Whenever I need some hockey humor I just look up Avery videos...anyone have a favorite Avery moment?

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrankM73

@FrankM73

I think as of now, Neuvy, by far, has the best positioning of all three goalies. In fact, I think Holtby, by far, has the worst positioning. He is young so it will likely improve, but that isn't a given.

@JIMALLCAPS2

You said that Carey "over-reacted to first shots or feints leaving an open back-door, gave up huge rebounds". As of now, I think that better describes Holtby than either Varly or Neuvy.

Holtby showed some talent and has some promise. I don't think the Caps should trade him, but he is not untouchable. Personally, I think the Caps should keep all three and let them develop more. They are all young and cheap right now. Give them all time and see who ends up winning the #1 job.

IMO, I think Neuvy will end up being the best and most consistent.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 29, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Holtby could turn into the 2nd coming of Martin Brodeur 10 years down the road, but I'd still support trading him for the right package. The Caps don't need an elite goalie, just a good one. No point wasting a goalie like Vokun on the Panthers....Oh wait

When is the trade coming? Boyd Gordon for ?

Posted by: ablake70 | November 29, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Boy, if only the team put as much passion and intensity into their game as we do these blogs, the Caps would rule the world!! GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: vermontcaps | November 29, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

i'm willing to try this - and possibly get ripped for making comparisons i'm not trying to make.
here goes -
somewhere out there is the next roy, hasek or brodeur. any gm that believes he might have a franchise goalie will do everything in their power to allow that goalie to develop to his full potential. the three guys the caps have are all still very young and it could take two or three more years to figure out which one to really stick with long term.
every young player, not just goalies, can turn out to be a bust - so i'd say keep them all for now.
please note: i never said any of the three young guys would turn out to be the next roy, hasek or brodeur.
let those with challenged reading comprehension blast away.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 29, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

For the last time joek443, Kolzig was ahead of Carey at the start of the 94-95 season (that became 95 only season). So was Defoe. Both Kolzig and dafoe were picked in 89 and Carey not till #30 overall 1992. Carey only got a chance in the spring of 95 because Tabby got hurt AND Kolzig and Dafoe couldn't buy a win at the start of that season. Kolzig then fell behind Carey, even had to play a year in Rochester. But Kolzig WAS ahead of Carey before he fell behind him. Then Kolzig was behind Bill Ranford (got from Boston for Carey, in the Oates/Allison/Tocchet deal of Feb 1996) until Ranford had a groin injury opening night vs Toronto Oct 97 and Kolzig never looked back for about ten years until Huet took over.

Kolzig WAS way ahead of Carey. Kolzig even had a start as an 18-year-old in 1989. Carey passed Kolzig in Feb, 1995 after coming up and getting hot. END OF STORY.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | November 29, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

On Carolina's last goal. Yes, the Caps could have played it better but no player made any egregious mistake on the goal. Give Staal credit, he made a nice play.

It seems like every time an opposing team scores a goal it is an egregious mistake by some Caps player. Remember, the guys on the other teams are pretty good too and are also getting paid.

The only thing I think the Caps should take from that play is that if they are winning with under 10 seconds to go in a game, they should freely take penalties. Hold sticks, grab guys, do whatever, because penalties at the point are meaningless. Hopefully BB gets that acorss to them.

Also, Hendricks deserves a good amount of the blame. With 20 seconds left, when Ovie poked the puck near the blue line, Hendricks could have cleared the zone. But Hendricks made a rush up the wing instead of focusing on getting the puck out of the zone. That led to the O-zone faceoff and the goal.

IMO, that was the worst play because it was a mental error.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 29, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

In the day and age the last thing you need is a goalie you have to pay more than $5, 6 mil/year...

what did the Hawks do with the goalie who got them the first Cup in a half century??

enough said.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Holtby is NOT the next Brodeur, anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

you know what Brodeur did in his rookie year? playing for the team that Gretzky had called a mickey mouse operation just a few years before???

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

I don't usually have time to comment these days, but it's slow today, so I'll take a stab at it.

- Go back to NHL.com and look at the Alex-to-Alex goal again. Yeah, that's a seriously pretty pass and a nice finish, but Tim Gleason also screws up rather badly to make it possible. When you're defending a 2-on-1, your job is to take away the pass and let the goalie deal with the shooter. This goal is why. If you take the shooter, the stop is much more difficult for the goalie if the pass gets through. Not only does he fail to stop the pass, he lets Ovi pass behind him, which is death in that case.
- This game ends in regulation if Carolina doesn't get away with a whole lot of behind-the-play nonsense in the third frame. Several questionable non-calls, particularly interference. I'm getting used to this - the perennially good teams like DET seem to have to put up with this. An improved penalty kill helps to deal with that, and I look at it as incentive for the PK to continue to be good.
- Cam Ward saved the Canes' heinies in the first. That is all.
- Severely skeptical of the rumored trade. McPhee doesn't like stuff getting leaked and I have my doubts on whether it goes down today - or at all, for that matter. That said, I'd be in favor of the trade. Flash for Bieksa is in the Caps' best interest, and it's probably better for Flash as well. MoJo is making him redundant, he could use the change of scenery IMO, and Vancouver could use more secondary scoring. My one concern is Bieksa is driving the Canucks fans nuts, which is a red flag for me.
- Not worried about Ovi. He's moving his feet, he's getting chances. It's not going in for him right now, but that doesn't really matter. It'll come and in the meantime Semin's turned into the finisher on that line. When teams start respecting Semin, they'll have to stop triple-teaming Ovi, and then we'll start seeing the goals.

Posted by: kittypawz | November 29, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Holtby is NOT the next Brodeur, anyone who thinks that is an idiot.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 12:28 PM

did anyone have 9 minutes in the pool? the winner gets a $1 a minute!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | November 29, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

capscoach,

I'd have to say when Avery was making fun of Talbot when Talbot was flailing away open handed.

sgm,

I think everyone was in shock that Staal actually won a draw. 12 is normally pathetic on draws.

Posted by: Steve_R | November 29, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

--------------------

exactly what I said on here last night... the effort by Steckel was pathetic.

all you're looking for in that situation is not to lose the draw CLEANLY which of course is exactly what he did.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

hockeybuzz reporting that the Kings want Semin...well they can't have him!!!!!

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

capscoach, for what return? If they dangle Jack Johnson...?

Posted by: Steve_R | November 29, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

"exactly what I said on here last night... the effort by Steckel was pathetic."

I don't think the effort was pathetic. I think Steckel gave a full effort to win. So did Staal. While Steckel wins a higher percentage he still losed 4 out of 10 and Staal still wins 4 out of 10. I guess that was one of those 4 out of 10.

Just because a guy has a higher percentage does not mean he will win every draw. It only means he will win a higher percentage, which means there will be lost draws.

It was a nice win by Staal. It happens. No need to overreact to a lost faceoff. The other team is trying to win also.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 29, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Kings can have Flash for free if they want him.

Posted by: SA-Town | November 29, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@SteveR

I wouldnt trade Semin for Johnson. To me Semin is the key to winning the Cup. I think we can make other moves to upgrade the D without giving up Semin.

Posted by: ThePat | November 29, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@joek443:
"...you ever even watched Carey play or are you one of those "rock the red" fans who became a fan 3 years ago? ..."

I know this was addressed to someone else, but...I watched Carey play. The way I remember it is the Caps were playing like crap (the lockout year) and they brought up a relatively unknown Carey. Well, he was relatively unknown to me, back then the internet wasn't like it is today and media coverage for hockey wasn't that great. All I knew about this Carey guy was he had a pretty good college career and had a good rookie year in the AHL and was playing well when he was called up. To continue, the Caps put him in and he stops the pucks and the Caps start winning. As I recall Dafoe was especially awful that year, Kolzig was better, but he wasn't setting the world on fire and I forget what was going on with Taboracchi (sp?). Then the playoffs came and he (Carey) went from stopping BBs to not being able to stop a beach ball. Was it a fluke? In the summer, yeah it was just a fluke and then the hype started as well as the nicknames like Net Detective and Ace. Then the next year came and he won the Vezina. Then the playoffs came again and he couldn't stop anything. He lost his confidence and never got it back. That's the way I remember it. Am I way off base?

As I recall because of his success he got a big contract, made wise investments, and is the CEO of some medical billing system company or something.

My take on it was that it was more of a not being able to handle the stress issue than a being rushed issue.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | November 29, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve_R

The whole article or rumor regarding Semin and Kings:

I don't comment much but read this earlier. Didn't think much of it. I would hate to see Semin go anywhere.

Posted by: nicety251 | November 29, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

hahahahhaha this goalie argument is hilarious. All 3 of the caps goalies range from average to slightly above average. None of them are the next Brodeur or Plante or anything. Caps have a great first line and an above average goalie. Enjoy the ride and cheer away, but claiming any of them are going to be hall of fame goalies just smells of homerism.

Also, this comment from way at the top bothered me and I had to say something.

"Most coaches don't care about winning meaningless faceoffs in neutral and offensive zones."

Ummmmm... coaches do care. They care a lot. They want all faceoffs because believe it or not, no matter where you are on the ice, having control of the puck is important.

Posted by: rderr27 | November 29, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Caps are not trading Semin. Maybe for two first round pick and somebody real. I doubt it. If OVi wants Semin to stay on this team then he stays. If backstrom wants Semin to stay then he stays. Based on everything that I have heard out of those two guys mouth they seem to like him as a Washington Cap. He will sign with the Caps with some heavy bonus and performance incentives.

Posted by: pkme | November 29, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@pkme

He is not allowed to receive any bonuses and preformance incentives. He has to receive a flat number contract. My guess is he gets 3 yrs, $20M. for a $6.6 cap hit and remains a member of the Caps.

Posted by: ThePat | November 29, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I think the big "what if" factor regarding Semin is would he be able to adjust to a new team/city

I mean the only way we can really keep him is if he really doesn't want to leave...which is a distinct possibility. He definiteyl took 5 years give or take to crack a smile in D.C. :) we can't take him for more that 6.7mil, but quite frankly it may be worth it to him...it's not like 6.7 mil won't get him what he wants when he moves back to Russia. And he gets to stay with Ovie and be on a cup contending team.

Is there really that big a difference between 6.7mil and the 7.5 he could get somewhere else...esp. when you factor in Ovie and a city he has lived in for what (7yrs?)

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

This is my opinion, which I've expressed before, about Semin, and why he will remain a Capital for less than his fair market value.

The fact is, Semin does not like to do interviews, and on this team, he can make 6mil+ and never be expected to do a post game interview. He goes to another team and makes 7+mil a year, and is the cornerstone of the offensive side of the franchise, his responsibility to the media would expand greatly. He likes his team mates, and he likes what is asked of him away from the rink here in DC. That is why I see Semin staying in washington for no more than 6.5mil a year, and for at least 4 years this next time around.

Posted by: fanohock1 | November 29, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

and one other thing...if he goes elsewhere and gets paid the big bucks he will be expected to act like the star he is ie...talk to the media, do promos and such...D.C. offers him the relative annominity he loves as Ovie casts a pretty big shadow.

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

couldn't we get a pretty good defesman for Flash and a hershey prospect...we have so many prospects I feel like it is time to trade one if the right deal comes around...it's not like we don't have them stockpiled!

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

I agree

Posted by: sgm3 | November 29, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Just checked in to find the trade rumor mill is churning fast. I can't go through this again, only to find out in a week nothing happened and we watched and listened for no reason for 7 days.

As far as BB. I'm no NHL coach, and only play one on CI, but keep the #%@&# lines together that crushed Tampa until they show it's not working!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | November 29, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond

Im with you on the lines. As they announced the starting lineup at the game yesterday, i turned to my buddy and said why the F is BB doing this.

In regards to the potential trade...I bet it happens by tomorrow morning. Any takers?

Posted by: ThePat | November 29, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Lots of rumors involving Caps & Kings. Nothing to this at all as Kings were just seeing if we were gonna deal Semin. Not happenin.

On a side note, RIP Pat Burns. Funeral is today. Pat is very respected in the hockey community and was best known for being a firey kinda guy and a real motivator. Just a great guy from all accounts and he'll be missed.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 29, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

On the trade rumor for Bieksa, is it possible that the trade could be BGordon(and some other stuff) for Bieksa?

I only say this because BGordon was a healthy scratch(supposedly) yesterday and from what I read here, was not skating during warmups. If you are on the verge of making a trade teams generally do not skate players who are about to be traded(to prevent injury).

This could very easily be a coincidence, but it is possible. Getting BGordon instead of Flash would help out Vancouver's pending cap situation much more.

However, I do not think the Caps should give up BGordon as he has been a very good 3rd line center this season. However, getting Bieksa would be a plus. Personally I would prefer the Caps give up Flash for Bieksa, but the Canucks may want BGordon.

Posted by: sgm3 | November 29, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

sgm3,

Bite your tongue!! I am very happy with my delusional fantasy of no longer seeing Flash in a Caps sweater.

Posted by: PhilR | November 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

@sgm3

It could be Boyd, but generally most players that have played recently dont skate during warmups when they are scratched. The only time they do is if they have sat for a number of games or just want to. DJ King did yesterday bc he's going to play versus St Louis, so it got him back in the flow of going through warmups.

Whoever it is, at this point i just want the trade to happen whether its Flash, Boyd, Steckel or whoever. Just bring a new toy in on D. Thanks.

Posted by: ThePat | November 29, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

#@!&*$%!)

I am SO sick of all these trade rumors.

Everyone on here should know by now that GMGM doesn't pull the trigger after something's been leaked to the media.

When he makes a trade, it takes everyone by surprise.

So shut up already until we have it from official outlets, please?

Posted by: irockthered | November 29, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

@irocktheread

i am getting the sense that you are a little frustrated :)

Posted by: capscoach | November 29, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

enough said.

Posted by: joek443 | November 29, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

5th place in the Western Conference (by 1 point) with all other teams having played 4-5 games fewer than Chicago...meaning, I doubt they would be in the playoffs this year based on this trend.

Now, I would not want to pay a goalie 5-6mm either but I don't think Chicago made the right choice here.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | November 29, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Tom & I have a bet on Chicago this year. I can't really remember what the payment is but I'm sure it involves adult beverages! LOL! I have Chicago missing the playoffs as well.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 29, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Folks I still think that the Caps will make a play for Souray at some point. I think it is more than coincidence that he is playing in Hershey under the Caps supervision. I also think Souray would like to play for the Caps. We sure could use him/ Maybe before the New Year. I am not sure about all of the technical and cap related stuff and waivers. He would help the Caps.

Posted by: pkme | November 29, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Uh, now back to our original programming...

Going back to the content of the article that started all this, I wish BB would find the best line combinations and stick with them (e.g. the ones used vs TB). All this tinkering does nothing to build continuity and consistency. BB messes with the lines all year long so how can the team expect to put a strong playoff push together if they're constantly trying to get used to new line mates? There's no chemistry because of all the tinkering. I actually think the team wins based on pure talent and in spite of BB's shenanigans.

The team and BB would be better off if he spent more time at the salad bar and/or on a treadmill than on the line-up card.

Posted by: dtc1 | November 29, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

#@!&*$%!)

I am SO sick of all these trade rumors.

When he makes a trade, it takes everyone by surprise.

So shut up already until we have it from official outlets, please?

Posted by: irockthered | November 29, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse
---------------------------------------

Keep in mind that rumors are just that. I hear crap, get texts every day but rarely share them. I think you know that from me now. It just so happens that there was a lot of.... "chatter" yesterday. Actually it started late last week for me. I was almost expecting Flash to be scratched to be honest.

The other thing is, I rarely hear things from the Caps. Most of the people I know etc are outside the Caps org so I typically get them from the other side.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | November 29, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

I think the NHL has a bit of a problem on its hands now with this crosby slew foot. The refs called Callahan and let crosby off the hook.

Now, did anyone see NHL on the Fly on the NHL Network last night or this morning? In the game highlights they show Avery go after crosby and the announcers (the Pittsburgh version of Joe B and Locker) say crosby does a good job of ignoring Avery, which is true. Later in the highlights the show crosby knock Avery down and the Pittsburgh broadcasters sing crosby's praise for getting the best of Avery "after Avery attempted to slew foot sid."

There was no mention of the crosby slew foot on the NHL Network and the clips they showed made him look like the hero and Avery the villan. Almost as if the league saw its officials blow the call on crosby and then tried to sweep it under the rug.

Why wouldn't On the Fly show the most talked about highlight from last night? There were only 5 games, afterall. Bad reporting or bias? Neither one is a good option.

Stack this on top of the Colin Campbell emails and the NHL has a serious credibility problem.

Posted by: griz0615 | November 30, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse