Injury update: Matt Bradley to return, Mike Green says he'll play

Greetings from RBC Center in Raleigh, where the Capitals are slated to play in yet another opposing team's home opener tonight to kick off this three-game road trip. As has been the case over the past several days, here's the injury update from this morning's skate.

--Matt Bradley will be back in the lineup after missing the past five games with a lower-body injury and it appears as though he'll skate on the fourth line with Matt Hendricks and David Steckel.

This is the first extended layoff for Bradley since the 2006-07 season, when he missed 16 games with a broken finger.

"I hate missing games, so unless it's something I really can't play with, I try to be out there, but some things you can't avoid. Hopefully that's it for the season," Bradley said. "It'd be nice to get out there and get a couple hits early and get myself into the game, but whatever happens, happens. There's no easing into it."

--Mike Green (shoulder) said he will at least start the game playing in all of the normal situations. John Carlson (leg) is still walking with a noticeable limp but Coach Bruce Boudreau said he "should play" against the Hurricanes.

--Rookie center Marcus Johansson (hip) is out for tonight's game, per Boudreau, and spent the morning riding an exercise bike in the hallway.

--Boyd Gordon, D.J. King, Brian Fahey and Braden Holtby all took part in the extra drills usually reserved for the day's scratches after the conclusion of regular practice. But we'll see how the lines look after warmups.

By Katie Carrera  | October 27, 2010; 12:50 PM ET
Categories:  Carolina Hurricanes, Injuries, John Carlson, Marcus Johansson, Matt Bradley, Mike Green
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: On Mathieu Perreault and making the most of each call up
Next: Preparing for the Carolina Hurricanes

Comments

Bradley and Green are nice additions to the line-up!

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 27, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

With the injuries to our D, names are being thrown around as possible pickups - I have to respond to an earlier one, namely Mark Stuart of the Bruins, whom a poster called "a great, tough blue-liner."

Well, let's look at the reality - Mark Stuart is the Bruins #4 d-man, so the thinking that he would be some huge defensive upgrade for the Caps - is nonsense. Much less one we should sacrifice valuable assets for - the guy barely played 15 minutes against the Caps last game! Even now with Boychuk out, he's not even cracking the 18-minute mark.

I fail to see how a guy 4th on the Bruins depth chart - whose overall team D isn't spectacular, they rely on great goaltending in large part - is some huge defensive upgrade for this team.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 27, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Timbo,

That bumps Ersk back to where he should be as a #6-7 and Sloan watching the game from up high with a bowl of nachos. I wouldn't complain about that pick up.

Posted by: Steve_R | October 27, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

While I have leveled my share of criticism GMGM's way, I am glad he's withstood entreaties from the likes of Boston, who will soon be desperate to shed salary [and whose media is only too happy to oblige management's wishes]. I.e., Mark Stuart - nice player, not the answer.

Conversely, someone whose name is rarely mentioned, but who plays the tough minutes against the other team's big boys every night, CBJ's Jan Hejda, could fill a legitimate shutdown role.

Not much offense, but not a worry for this team.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 27, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Timbo_1: They don't have great goaltending. The Caps just took low percentage shots and made Tim Thomas look good. That's why TT was smiling in disbelief on a couple of occasions after he kept the puck out of the net.

Of course I am being sarcastic and felt that the Caps and Bruins played two fast paced, good NHL games, and Thomas came up with the key saves when they had to be made. I,m not saying he stole two games the Caps should have won I am just saying that when the Caps pushed in response to a Bruin goal, he came up big.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 27, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Haven't been reading much here, but I just saw a tweet that said that Q. Laing is in the ECHL with the Salmon Kings. I know people were askin'.

FYI

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 27, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Well, that's fine - but it's not like we'd get him for nothing, and I fail to see how giving up Varly and Flash for a guy to be on our 3rd pairing helps all that much.

While I'm sure the B's wouldn't mind moving Flash back to wing and having Krecji center him and Norton, that's certainly not a deal many GMs around the league would make.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 27, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Just moved to Raleigh. Excited to bring our boys some support tonight. Can't wait.

Posted by: jakopz | October 27, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

The point was not to get into an extended convo about the B's goaltending - which I'd disagree with you about btw, Rask is the real deal and TT can obviously still play - but more about the B's depth on D, in response to the anticipated response of 'well so what he can't crack the B's top 4, they have a great D.' yeah they're good, Chara and Seidenberg obviously, but other teams have even deeper D. A lot of the credit for their low GAA has to go to the goalie, and the system - not because Stuart is playing behind the likes of Fetisov, Lidstrom, Orr and Leetch.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 27, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Did any see this?

While I know the chances of him coming to the Caps is almost zero, he would make for an awesome 2nd line center on the Caps.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 27, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

He didn't do much in the playoffs last spring - it was the Ville Leino / Briere line that did most of the damage [yes cstanton, wherever you are, Hartnell chipped in too] for the Flyers. And IIRC Carter would not come cheap.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 27, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how you get Carter without offering Semin.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | October 27, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Timbo_1,
I was the one that orig. suggested Mark Stuart. I think what you fail to realize is that one teams 4th best blueliner may be half of another team's first pair. Not to take anything away from the Caps D-men now, but Stuart is probably tougher than all of them and is around Greens age. I don't see a down side there???

Posted by: j3rockstar | October 27, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't see how you get Carter without offering Semin.

Posted by: tominsocal1

Probably true. I think the chances of the Caps getting him are almost zero. But he would be very nice to have as the #2 center.

I'm going to start the push of Flash and AGordon for Jeff Carter trade. ;) (yes, I realize it is incredibly lopsided and has zero chance of ever happening, but it is a play on a lot of the absurd trade proposals often mentioned on this blog by various posters).

Posted by: sgm3 | October 27, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Flash and letter from Ted that promises to not put Briere's picture in all the men's urinals at Verizon again...for Carter.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | October 27, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

SeminAllOverTheIce - FTW!

Posted by: j3rockstar | October 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI: Man, that was a fun season, the 2008-09 season. The Caps fans didn't critique every single aspect of the game and seemed less stressed while watching.

I feel like I am on a suicide watch at the games now. If a player misses a pass people scream they suck, if the Caps regroup (a technique taught beginning at the squirt level) fans are yelling that they are going the wrong way, if they pass they yell shoot, if they shoot, they say they aren't passing enough. It is nuts at the games now.

Posted by: fanohock1 | October 27, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

You guys aren't being creative enough.

CARTER CAN BE HAD!!!

THINK BIG! TED's got more assets at his disposal now.

I propose:

Flash
A. Gordon
conditional pick
ANDRAY BLATCHE!!! (straight up headcase)

for

Carter
Darius Songaila (always liked his hustle)

...problem solved...NEXT!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | October 27, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr

I like the creativity. I will second that proposal.

Posted by: sgm3 | October 27, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

---------------------------------

SAOTI - price is too high I enjoy peeing on Breire's man-boy face.

Posted by: ds_kelly | October 27, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Not a big Carter fan - he's a large framed but not physical player, and not terribly quick. He also has not been a big success there despite all the opportunities in the world.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | October 27, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

@wtf_e_fehr

Not A.Gordon! I couldn't handle seeing him and orange&black. Send him anywhere but there or Pburgh.

Posted by: tess2201 | October 27, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@fanohock,

The people that scream those things drive me absolutely insane! Guess that is what you get though when there are a bunch of new hockey fans coming to the games. Guess it is better than having half opposing team jersey's in the stands however!

Posted by: PhilR | October 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Thank you tess!! Another poster that appreciates what AGordon brings to the table!

Posted by: PhilR | October 27, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR

I like what he brings to the table too. Especially in a few years when he is bringing me my nachos. ;)

Posted by: sgm3 | October 27, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

SAOTI - price is too high I enjoy peeing on Breire's man-boy face.

Posted by: ds_kelly
----
did you read that before you clicked submit? :-| *blink, blink* *pause* just... wow!

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 27, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

back on topic... the issue with acquiring Carter is not only what will it cost in tree... but who does it cost in the future to retain him as a Cap? acquiring him and resigning him puts too much money on the top 6 of the forwards.... at the cost of what? the D, the goalies... when it's time to resign them...

Posted by: FrankM73 | October 27, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RedLitYogi
---------

Second that - I'd add I'm not a huge fan of shoot-first centers, their teams generally do about as well in crunch-time as those with chuck-first point guards.

He was pretty invisible the last two rounds of the playoffs last spring, to boot.

Posted by: Timbo_1 | October 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

If we are going to post trades that will never happen, why not Flash, Varly and a pick for Crosby. We better not do this one because Backstrom will be pissed about being 2C!

Posted by: chriscaps | October 27, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

It would take the combination of Flash,a healthy Varly, and a prospect for the Flyers to trade Carter to a conference rival. Carter is probably there No. 2 center after Richards and can also play wing. He'd be a great addition as a No. 2 center for the Caps and would be worth giving up Varly in a package to get. Philly still has a big hole at goalie and realize that even if Leighton returns that they need help in goal to go somewhere in the playoffs.

Posted by: wizfan89 | October 27, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse