Catching Up with B. Morrison

(David Zalubowski - AP)

I stopped by KCI this morning and caught up with Brendan Morrison, who's in town with his wife, Erin, to go house hunting and enroll two of their four children (ages 7,5,4 and 1) in school.

Here's a little of what Morrison had to say:

*About returning last season from a right ACL tear the previous spring: "The repair was okay on my knee. But I had no power, no strength in my leg. When I got picked up by Dallas [off waivers from Anaheim in March], I started feeling better and I started to score again. When you're an offensive guy, it feels good. I definitely think I can build off of that."

*On the lure of possibly centering a line with winger Alexander Semin (and maybe getting some playing time with two-time MVP Alex Ovechkin): "I'm not going to lie to you, it definitely factored in, no question. When I found out Washington was interested, right away I told my agent, 'Let's work as hard as we can to get something done there. That's where I want to be. Their style of play, I think I can complement it."

*On the lure of playing for a team expected to contend for the Cup: "As you get older, you want to go to a team that has a chance. And I think this team has a good a chance as anybody."

*Morrison also said he took a "little" less than what some other teams were offering. He signed a one-year, $1.5 million deal with the Caps. "Maybe marginally, maybe a little bit," he said. "But that's the tradeoff. Do you want to go to a team where you can make a little more money, but maybe not as good a team and maybe not put up as good a number [of points]? Or you do want to come to a team where you can fit in and have a better chance of fitting in? It was a pretty easy decision."

*On being waived by Anaheim: "Not a complete shock. I knew they were up against the cap. Being put on waivers was my most embarrassing moment as a player. There's a team basically saying they don't want you. It made me upset, all these emotions. But more than anything it's been a motivating factor for me to [improve] this year and show I can still play. Last year was an aberration."

While out at KCI, I also ran into defenseman Brian Pothier, who was helping out with the Caps' "Slapshot Fun Camp." Slapshot, the team's mascot, is actually a camp counselor. I'll have a little more on Pothier later this afternoon.

By the way, no news yet on Milan Jurcina's arbitration award. But it should be coming down soon.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 30, 2009; 1:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Agent: Nyls to Russia Is News to Him
Next: Pothier Says He's in 'Best Shape' Ever

Comments

Seems like the thing for Him and Knuble is to play for the Caps, and not make the absolute max amount of money they can. Both have said they have turned down offers for more to play for the Caps! I mean, who would have thought that the Caps would be the place that players wanted to go.. Been a long time coming.

Man I can't wait!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 30, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I agree, it great to have players who want to come and play here.
Only 63 days until the season starts!

Posted by: whiteltng | July 30, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

There is a report in the NY Times today that MSG, with the Rangers, Knicks etc may be on be sold in the near future, so all of you armchair GM's all you have to do is come up with the estimated sale price of $1.6 to $1.9 Billion and then you would not have to express your opinion here but could actually run your own team. Just a thought.

Posted by: RichC3 | July 30, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully he'll be a better UFA signing than Nylander.

Posted by: thomas20 | July 30, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

As a long-time STH and even longer-time fan, all I can say is...imagine that. Players WANT to come to play in Washington! Based on that alone, given our history - job well done Ted and GMGM!!!!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | July 30, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I think that 1.6 just gets you the building. Not the teams.

Posted by: Greg S. | July 30, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

He has more kids then the Wayans mama....

Posted by: SA-Town | July 30, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

No I'm thinking the Wayans' still have him beat. Although who puts a 1 year old into school?

Posted by: superpaqman | July 30, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Players come to the DC area for LESS money... It's a very weird feeling.

Posted by: pkendrick | July 30, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Superpaqman, Is say two of four, presumably the older kids are the two.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 30, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

PKendrick, I know right, who would have ever thunk it??? Definitely not the Skins, Wiz or Nats...

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 30, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The even better part of hearing that they're accepting lower offers to come here is that nobody does that in pittsburgh.

Posted by: wis193 | July 30, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

wis193, Yup, have to pay them more then else where to play with the whiney litte girl we all love to hate.

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 30, 2009 3:28 PM | Report abuse

hbcapsfan - Oops, guess it helps if I read the whole sentance.

Posted by: superpaqman | July 30, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Figured as much. Will give ya the BOTD since it is the middle of the summer and we are all feigning for some hockey.... At least I know that I am!!

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 30, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Morrison & Knuble.

The new Friesen & Clark

Less money to play in DC ? How noble.

Posted by: LarryDavid | July 30, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

HB, I'm right there with you, it really is the dog days of summer. That and reading for my business law class is killing me.

Posted by: superpaqman | July 30, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wis193 | July 30, 2009 3:13 PM |

Not to be a Richard or anything, but Orpik..Guerin....

Posted by: richmondphil | July 30, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Morrison & Knuble.

The new Friesen & Clark

Less money to play in DC ? How noble.

Posted by: LarryDavid | July 30, 2009 3:50 PM |

Except we traded for Friesen and Clark's rights.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 30, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Orpick and Guerin were already in Pittsburgh, didnt leave their current team to take less money. That is what I think he was getting at but I could be wrong.

Posted by: ThePat | July 30, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ThePat | July 30, 2009 4:43 PM |

I understand that, but Orpik and Geurin took significantly less money than both would have received on the open market. I understand Orpik was a RFA, but he took quite a big paycut, as did Geurin.

The idea that people don't want to play in Pittsburgh unless its a fat contract is just wrong.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 30, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I have no idea how signs for what outside of the Caps, I could care less. I am glad that this team is getting people here to play and not have to be the highest offer, ala Skins, Wiz and Nats.

Now, I am going to go and jump in the Delorian and get to October, so I can stop going crazy waiting for Hockey....

Posted by: hbcapsfan | July 30, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

*grabs onto the spoiler of hbcapsfan's Delorian*

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 30, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Reposted from the previous thread:

@Hatfield223 & Boo: During last season, I thought I saw Ovi on one occasion with the C when Clark was out?

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 30, 2009 3:32 PM

+++++++++
LeftCoast:

The only times I remember seeing Ovi with the "C" was during preseason, but someone could remember differently.

Posted by: pstenigma | July 30, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I never remember seeing Ovi with the C during the season. If you were a STH last year then you might remember a C on his jersey during the autograph signings at Six Flags but that's it.

Posted by: pkendrick | July 30, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

@ HBcapsfan: Remember when Jeremy Roenick was becoming an FA out of Phoenix? The Caps followed the rules, waiting until the date Free Agency was scheduled to begin to talk to Roenick, only to find that a move to Philthy was already a done deal. What a major "diss"....and how things have changed!

I can't wait either. Which is why I am playing in a game tonight.

Posted by: Rhino40 | July 30, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I am interested in maybe attending some of the Pre-season home games. Anybody know what tix for those may cost?

Posted by: Rhino40 | July 30, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

This interview all sounds good to me. I am so happy players want to come play here and willing to take a bit of a pay cut to do so. Thank you Ted. Thank you GM. And thank you Ovie!!!

Posted by: capsfan01 | July 30, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

RIGHT ABOUT NOW THESE DAYS ITS AN HONOR TO WEAR A CAPS JERSEY,AND IT FEELS PRETTY DAMN GOOD!! I HOPE BMo MAKES THE BEST OF HIS TIME HERE AND PUTS UP THOSE NUMBERS HE KEEPS TALKING ABOUT.GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: gratefuldid | July 31, 2009 5:44 AM | Report abuse