Catching up with Braden Holtby, Mike Green and Eric Fehr

With rookie camp slated to begin in just two days, hockey is -- for all intents and purposes -- back at Kettler Capitals Iceplex. Mike Green and Braden Holtby joined the fray in workouts this morning after arriving in Washington late last night from Calgary, Alberta, and Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, respectively.

After making the long drive from western Canada the past two years, Green opted to fly and said he hopes to never make the drive again. Holtby, on the other hand, took a four-day road trip, stopping at friends' houses along the way. While he didn't mind the drive itself, Holtby felt some of the after-effects on the ice Friday. (Mike Vogel has even more about Holtby's one-goalie road trip over at Dump 'n Chase.)

"I actually felt pretty good on the ice, I was pretty surprised," said Holtby, who is less than a week away from his 21st birthday. "But in the bag skate, I felt the worst I've ever felt in a long time, but that's probably just from the drive."

Holtby didn't know he wouldn't be taking part in rookie camp this season, but he's welcoming the chance for extra practice before getting started in veteran training camp as he hopes to stake his claim to the starting job in Hershey.

"Two years ago I got to see them win a [Calder] Cup as a third goalie, and last year I was a bigger part of it, but I was still the backup in the end," Holtby said. "There's more opportunity to be the go to guy there. Obviously Dany Sabourin's a very established goalie in the AHL and that's a good thing we'll push each other, but in the end I want to play a lot in Hershey, start to prove myself and win that starting job."

Green spent the summer with his family in Calgary, working out and altering his diet in preparation for the new season. But Green was quick to point out, not all of the work the Capitals must do this season comes in the weight room.

"I think you go into the season and can things go well, you make sure you take care of your body but you really have to prepare your mind for the long haul. That's what we have to do. It's going to be a long season for all of us - I think we're looking forward to the playoffs already. If we take these first 82 games to prepare ourselves I think we can go a long way, we just have to be smart."

Eric Fehr returned to Kettler Thursday and with his new contract securing keeping him in Washington for the foreseeable future, he's aiming to build on his career-best season from last year. The former 2003 first round draft pick posted his highest marks in goals (21), assists (18) and points (39) with an average of just over 12 minutes of ice time per game last season.

"I just want to be a little more consistent this year; earn the trust of my coaches and show I can play in any situation -- end of a game, powerplay, penalty kill," Fehr said. "I just want to step up my role any way I can."

The right wing is also interested to see how the line combinations shake out during training camp and the preseason as several centers vie for playing time behind Nicklas Backstrom. But he also knows that he'll likely play with numerous linemates leading up to the regular season.

Fehr's stall in the dressing room during this informal week has been next door to one of those centers, rookie Marcus Johansson, who is the subject of my story for Saturday's paper, so keep an eye out for that. In only a few days on the ice with the young Swede, Fehr has been impressed.

"He looks good out there. He reminds me a lot of Backstrom," Fehr said. "Just how controlled and smooth he is with the puck, he makes tough passes and it just looks easy."

*The veteran players are off until Monday, while the first day on the ice for the rookies is Sunday at 10:30 a.m.

*Boyd Gordon left this morning's workout early. CSN's Corey Masisak first reported that the veteran was "shaken up a bit."

By Katie Carrera  |  September 10, 2010; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals announce training camp rosters and schedule
Next: Rookie camp kicks off at KCI

Comments

Place your bets. Who goes out long term first. B. Gordon or Little Gus?

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 10, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Gordo hurting...no!!!

Is it still considered news when it is expected and common?

Next post we can expect "Erskine looked a little slow on the ice and Mike Green seemed to focus more on offense than defense"

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 10, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

@ icehammer97

i'll bet on lil gus

Posted by: _stevo | September 10, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

My projection is Gordon and Lil Gus collide. Gus gets a concussion, Gordon hurts his back and they both go on IR.

Notice Fehr got 39 pts with average ice time of 12 minutes. You can extrapolate if they trade Flash and put Fehr on the 2nd line what he might do. My guess is he could get 55-60 pts if second line duty.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 10, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97

That is one of the best questions asked on here in a long time. It's tough, but I think I would go with Lil' Gus also. He falls apart from just getting breathed on.

Posted by: sgm3 | September 10, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Semin LW, Fehr RW, just need an adequate center for 2nd line.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | September 10, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Tom almost had it right. No offense nostrathomas, but I think the wine sediment haze may have blurred your prediction a bet, you nearly had it.

My tea leaves say both get hurt within seconds of each other. Lil' Gus gets hurt first...Gordo soon follows by throwing his back out helping Lil' Gus off the ice.

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 10, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

bet = bit, sigh...is it 4 yet?

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 10, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Lmao! I don't know, but I think both should not sleep on the top bunk!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Bubble Boyd Gordon

Posted by: SeminAllOverTheIce | September 10, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Somebody in the DC area please check the NHL Network and see if something comes on tonight from 7pm-9pm EST called Hockey Diaries "the almost season". It's supposed to be the story of the 09-10 Caps. Knuble and I think Sloan are supposed to be giving their opinions or whatever.

I've checked it out here in CO and it's not on here so I don't know if it's something just in the DC area or not.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Interesting comments recently from our Caps, especially Bradley and Backstrom prior.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 10, 2010 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@PokerFace

I think that show you're referring to is on XM and NHL.com (not on the NHL network).

Posted by: chombie13 | September 10, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

" Hockey Diaries: The Almost Season' debuts tonight from 7-9pm ET on Sirius XM Radio and streamed live on NHL.com. Capitals Knuble and Sloan will take you through the ups and downs of the past season and will be answering YOUR questions."

- to back up chombie's post.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | September 10, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Semin LW, Fehr RW, just need an adequate center for 2nd line.

Posted by: nimrodrsp | September 10, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

alan faneca is available

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

pokerface: I think we already have a bet on the Hawks. They have too much raw talent not to make Playoffs.
----

i'm with poker on this one. I think besides the "raw talent" argument, you have to look at other teams who are improving in the West. For ex, which teams that didn't make the playoffs have a decent chance of doing that this yr which could push Chicago out? I'd say the Blues make it, and you have to look at Anaheim and Dallas as well. Nashville and Chicago imo don't make it. Calgary's an unknown at this point.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

this is worthy enough to be imported into this thread imo. Actually, every thread should have this at the top...

Mrs. McPhee: "Honey, do you think we should go to the store?"

George: "No, we'll just eat what we have."

Posted by: tominsocal1

my argument for getting rid of Flash and Gordo

"i hear their periods attract bears"

and that puts the entire city in jeopardy.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Thats SJ Sharks comparison really hits home. I'll be watching during the regular season, hopefully with the same excitement I had last year. But the reality is, I wish we could fast forward to the playoffs, and REDEMPTION!!!
------

@wtf - I'm going to need you to temper your expectations. Come next spring, we don't need you jumping off any ledges when desired result goes poof

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Comment not directly related with the subject at hand but a question that my fellow Cap Fans can likely easily answer; what is Lainger doing this year, I didn't see his name on the training camp roster. He played down here when we had the Blackhawks as our parent organization and was well liked. Thanks guys!

Posted by: norfolkoms | September 10, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

always been a quintin fan but i think he's just a ufa right now. He'll find a home somewhere. He can skate at the nhl level and there's enough guys like him out there who perform their role on a 3rd or 4th line. Just crash and bang, show some good character, do the things no one else is willing to do, etc. Good depth role player for sure.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

i've heard some fans make an argument in the past that it doesn't really matter if a player you draft has significant strength issues because all young players need to get stronger. I've always disagreed with this argument because most players who don't measure up to their counterparts at a given age can't simply just put time into a gym and gain the requisite strength to make up that difference. Genetics plays a big part in this and can't be easily overcome. Its rare that a player who gets tagged with the "needs to gain significant strength" can suddenly just develop that within 2-3-4 yrs and have that not be an issue. This is the scouting report on Flash for ex. FROM SEVEN YEARS AGO. If this doesn't sink in, nothing will. And why it bothers me so when we continually pick up young players tagged with similar bios. You can almost make a case that McPhee intentionally goes out looking for this one trait.

"Fleischmann is an flashy winger with great offensive tools. He plays a high speed game with a lot of skill and is exciting to watch. His great hockey sense and hands allow him to create quality chances for both himself and his linemates. Although being a good playmaker, he is more of a scorer and he uses his shot often to prove that. Has a good, hard wrist shot with a quick release. His downside is his lack of defensive involvement and he needs to gain more strength in order to take his game to the next level."

His current bio:
"Has outstanding setup ability and an understanding of what to do with the puck on his stick. Can play both wing and center. Is silky smooth. (But) lacks strength, so he tends to lose several puck battles in the corners. Must continue to improve his play without the puck, as well as his face-off skills."

He is 6-feet, 1-inches, 190-pounds and plays a finesse game.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

"I've always disagreed with this argument because most players who don't measure up to their counterparts at a given age can't simply just put time into a gym and gain the requisite strength to make up that difference. Genetics plays a big part in this and can't be easily overcome."
---
That's what steroids are for, CStanton. Does that chiropractor still work at Kettler?

Posted by: zmega | September 10, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

actually thats a good point. I'm in favor of juicing our players. Not only will it put some much needed muscle on their frame, it will make them highly irritable and ornery on the ice. And because it will also affect their sexual performance, no need to worry about them staying out late and hittin every bunny ride. They don't need the kind of distractions Kings or Flames players have to deal with. That is one fun conference.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 10, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Dude! WTF are you doing postin my girls rack on the internet! How rude! They are fun to play with though.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 10, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I can live with Gordo, Flash will never play for a Cup winner.

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | September 10, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

There are some people that say that Fehr's productivity would go down if he moved up to the 2nd line since he'd face better quality opposition.

But with Fehr moving up a line, he would get more ice time so that would be more conducive to an increase.

Last year, Fehr did his great productivity after missing most of the first month of the season. Missed most of October. Came back. Got another injury but was back for good later in November.

(Yes, I'm a Fehr booster. My main favorite on the team outside of Ovi and Semin.) He just turned 25 this past week.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 10, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Some of you might (will) disagree, but both Gordo and Flash could play for Cup winners.

Now, let's say you had Bobby Clarke at center and Tim Kerr at RW. That team could win with Flash at LW.

Tell me it ain't so, cstanton?

(btw, thanks for the props for the latest installment of "Make Room For Daddy McPhee.")

Now, BG, at $800K? Surely any team competing for Cup can fit in Gordo as 12th, 13th or 14th winger.

Really, honestly, doing the math, and I get paid for that for a living, out of you alls tax dollars, thank ya very much (that was my Elvis impression), but it's almost impossible to construct a scenario where a guy like Boyd Gordon at $800K can't be on a Cup winner.

Now, Jason Chimera at $1.875M? And, as for Flash, at $2.6M, he only works with a team that has underpaid players. And, given the pick of the litter, which isn't how it works, but it's always easier to find a better value.

It's just like a few months after we move into a new house mrstominsocal1 always tells me how we "could have done better" had we waited or whatever because SOME house goes on the market at some dopey price.

And I say, "Yes, but if I had waited a few years before getting married, maybe I could have had Linda Carter."

Let me tell you, that conversation never goes anywhere you want it to go, especially since she knows how much I liked Linda Carter.

And them were the days before enhancement.

You can call me a "bad boy" but no matter what you call me it hasn't been said before nor could I refute it.

signed,
nostrabadthomas (predictor of his own demise)

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 10, 2010 11:04 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75: Well, my argument on Fehr would be that he only received 12 MEASLEY minutes of ice time per game and mostly what he received was with less than stellar linemates.

He had all kinds of better numbers than Flash +/-, giveways, takeaways, penalties caused, goals per minute played, whatever. Now say you put him on line #2 with Semin and Umberger (after new GM tominsocal1 gets his way) and the point total for that threesome would be 85+70+65 = 220 (with Fehr being the 65).

If you really think about it, it's kinda hard to create a situation where you could make it harder for Fehr than Boudreau did for him last year.

Put Fehr on any team in the NHL that doesn't have a coach shoehorning Flash onto the 2nd line and Fehr instantly gets 15-20 mins not 12 and therefore at least 20% pt increase by osmosis and then another 20% for playing with better linemates.

I have posted this dozens of times and will now do so again:

Eric Fehr will score 300 goals over the next ten years and will outscore Flash in doing so.

As it is written, so it shall be.

nostrathomas

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 10, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 10, 2010 11:21 PM | Report abuse

OK, here's your drink for tonight:

Equal measures (1.5 oz) Sauza Commemorativo tequila, Cointreau, triple sec, fresh squeezed key lime juice and Paul Newman Virgin Lemonade and then half measure (3/4 oz) prickly pear cactus syrup. Into the shaker with ice and then shaken, not stirred (of course) and strained into a margarita glass. Salt is your option, something I eschew though, hey, a person has to think of his health.

Before you ask, "Hey, tominsocal1, what color is this drink?", I would remind you of the color of Semin's undershirt after his battle royale with Marc Staal.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 10, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Sauza? C'mon, let's spare the hangover and at least go for some Herradurra. Great recipe though.

Sippin' on Cazadores tonight with El Presidente as my her mate.

Posted by: jakopz | September 11, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

tominsocal1:
if they could just sign these two to long term contracts... - gmgm would be my hero

"Let me tell you, that conversation never goes anywhere you want it to go"
i hear ya - the one on the left would be my #1 draft choice

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

I looks like NJ is waiting to make their trades until they hear from the NHL if they are getting fined (which counts against the cap) by the NHL for the 1st Kovy deal. The thing that amazes me about the whole thing is the NHL has until the 17th according to this article. http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/devils_will_see_if_nilson_can_help_them/

The first Kovy contract was rejected around a month ago how long does it take the NHL to decide if they are going to fine NJ?

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 11, 2010 12:15 AM | Report abuse

i like how the hamme3r just goes about her bizness ignoring the scantily clad links. She has icewater in her veins.

Meanwhile, Capt Kirk and Tom need a little refresher course. Wonderwoman was plump. In the face. And not sexy. She was like Jaclyn Smith, pretty but unsexy. Xena looks like a freakin linebacker. The girl standing next to her looks like Garth from Wayne's World or Nigel from Spinal Tap.

These problems need to be addressed way before I can let you two back into watching and talking hockey.

@poker, i didn't mean to post your girl's goodies. And I hope she isn't the "insider source". We'll call her deepthroat for now.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 11, 2010 12:51 AM | Report abuse

cstanton1:
thats some funny sh*t

if you see garth and/or nigel when you look at gabrielle - you may be the one that needs a refresher course. :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

jakopz: This isn't the ordinary Sauza, which I wouldn't drink even with Crosby's throat. This is the better stuff, good enough to take neat. The lowest I'll go with tequila is Cuervo.

Capt Kirk: Liked those girls of yours but you can take the blonde. For whatever reason, blonde women are less attractive to me than left wingers who won't fight for pucks in the corners.

If you ever need a wing man though to converse with a full-figured, dark-haired lady while you move in on the blonde, have her call me at 1-800-RDY4LUV.

Tell her if the wife answers to hang up and call back in five minutes.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

cstanton: Are you really getting down on Wonder Woman?

First off, unless a woman tops at least 150 on the scale, she can take her stuff somewhere else (maybe to you?).

Linda Carter (see the picture i posted), really, was, in that pic, way too bony for my taste.

For the record, I like my women the way I like my defensemen - ready to check me into the boards and then stand over me and snarl. Now that's a woman!

Anyway, not to get the ladies here too worked up, but some guys want the passive type (God knows why) and other guys want a gal who will just as easy slash you as kiss you.

I don't know how we got on this subject, but who cares!? Because, let's face it, what could possibly be sexier than a gal wearing goalie pads?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

zstandun1:
i vant joo too tal me vat joo zee ven joo loook at theeze
if deez mak joo zink of boyz den ve haf lots of vork too doo
dr sigmund capt

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 1:49 AM | Report abuse

Kirk obviously has a weakness for chicks with sad faces who look like they're waiting to be rescued. Although i have to admit i've never seen the show and wth was goin on with those 2 in that medieval hot tub?
And Tom likes em chubby and admittedly would rather take Flash over a skinny lass. I thought tequila just got you drunk. Not gay.

fellas, cstanton1 is gonna pray for your souls tonight! Maybe I'll send you one of my 130 Scully posters to remind you what you should be fantasizing about instead of lonely cavewomen and chicks wearing tiaras and carrying around lassos.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 11, 2010 2:20 AM | Report abuse

-------------------

ladies, can ya help this brutha out? I wonder if Mark Tinordi has a sister.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 11, 2010 2:25 AM | Report abuse

here you go buddy, hopefully this takes you down easy tonight.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 11, 2010 2:27 AM | Report abuse

"cstanton1 is gonna pray for your souls tonight!"

you link a snookie/pickle picture and you want to pray for us!?!?

i always thought i was a little sick/off - but all of the sudden i'm feeling a lot better about myself :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 2:46 AM | Report abuse

I didn't look at any of those pictures. Not worth the risk of what it might be.

Anyway, I'm off hiking and here's hoping the club has signed Tinordi's sister by the time I get back.

Boudreau: "What about Tinordi's sister? I hear she has grit and can be had for the veteran minimum. Even less than Asham would've cost."

McPhee: "We'll play with what we have."

BB: "Oh."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

"The name's McPhee. George McPhee."

"Ahh! Mister McPhee! Would you like another vodka martini?"

"No, I'll just drink the one I have."

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

"I didn't look at any of those pictures. Not worth the risk of what it might be."
Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 10:15 AM

-------
Yeah, you never know when gazing at a woman's breasts might cause blood to shoot out of your eyes.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | September 11, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

I probably hadn't finished my arguments on Mr. Fehr last night. But I figure that if he doesn't miss so many games due to injury, his productivity will definitely go up, probably to 25-30 goals a year. Your 300 goals prediction in 10 years could possibly happen.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 11, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Wow, I did not know this:

"Among those lost on that fateful Tuesday morning nine years ago were two members of the hockey world, Mark Bavis and Garnet "Ace" Bailey. Both were part of the Los Angeles Kings scouting team and were aboard Flight 175 from Boston, which crashed into the South Tower that day.

(Washington Capitals head coach Bruce Boudreau wrote in his book that he was supposed to be on that flight as well, but he was asked to be at a pre-training camp meeting for the Kings a day earlier.)"

Posted by: sgm3 | September 11, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

This blog has completely gone to hell in a hand basket! LMFAO!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

This blog has completely gone to hell in a hand basket! LMFAO!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 12:34 PM

i disagree - sometimes it is refreshing to have opposing views (with discussions) on things other than how a SC contending hockey team should be constructed - with emphasis on disagreeing and opposing views. :D

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I didn't look at any of those pictures. Not worth the risk of what it might be.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 10:15 AM

nothing you couldn't have seen on tv

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I didn't look at any of those pictures. Not worth the risk of what it might be.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 10:15 AM

nothing you couldn't have seen on tv

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------

With the exception of course of my girl posing as a Flames fan! Not sure you'd catch that on TV.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | September 11, 2010 11:13 AM

I always hate it when that happens. Then mrstominsocal1 will see the blood stains and she instantly knows what I was doing. And the other woman's husband is never pleased either.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

You know I heard something this morning that I'm curious if anybody can confirm. I heard that BB was supposed to be on 1 of the United flights from 9/11. Can anybody confirm or deny this? I don't ever remember hearing about that.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Back from hike. Did 5 miles on Pacific Crest Trail in Vasquez Rocks State Park. Many movies filmed there, incl Star Trek episode where Kirk fought the Gorn. Planet of the Apes also filed there.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | September 11, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 2:21 PM
------------------------------------
Yes, that is true. Read his book. He was supposed to be on the flights but changed his plans and flew a day earlier.

Posted by: tess2201 | September 11, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

@tominsocal1

Just watched the youtube video. It was fun to watch but Really Bad!

Posted by: MReilly9 | September 11, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@pokerfaceI208

Tess was right.

To give more specifics, Ace Bailey, the LA Kings scouting director, and Mark Ravis (who also worked in scouting for the Kings) were on that infamous flight and were killed.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 11, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Ott & Pens rookies are playing each other. An OTT player (David Dziurzynski)drilled a Pen Dman (Alex Grant) from behind & was taken off the ice on a stretcher. OTT player got a 5 & a Game Misconduct.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1 once again I AM A GUY. The reason why I didn't care about the pictures is if I wanted to see girls with that litte clothing or less I could just go back to college to visit or vist a different site.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 11, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

And what sites might those be?

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

For those of you who think the Caps won't win the Cup til hell freezes over.... well it just did, JMU beat Virginia Tech IN Blacksburg!

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 11, 2010 3:44 PM

being a guy doesn't always tell the whole story in todays world - it's your orientation that can be questioned. i'm just busting your nads - you do have nads? jk

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

@pokerfaceI208

Considering Tech had had the lead at one point and then blew it. Story of Tech's season.

Game 1 -- spot Boise State at least 2 touchdowns before losing by only 3 points, 33-30

Game 2 -- Being up at half time and third quarter, then blowing it.

Is Tech having problems focusing and playing 4 periods of football or what? (That sounds a lot like a certain hockey team we all know and love.)

(I think my daughter is going to be taking a lot of ribbing from her JMU friends and any non Tech affiliated friends. She transferred to Tech this fall.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 11, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton

I just watghed an old fight from the minors of DJK and Orr. DJK is one tough SOB. I hope his presence sets a tone on the bench that this is a game for tough SOB's, not guys who should be playing soccer in Europe somewhere. Maybe Ovi can start throwing great hits again.(Av's glass break hit belongs in all Ovi replays. We need THAT Ovi back.)

This move for King was great. Now GMGM has got to get a 2C, dump Flush, get psych help for Green, and get a shut down defenseman before the playoffs.

I am happy to see the Vegas odds on us winning the Cup. 5 to 1 is not bad considering our history.

The first Rangers /Caps game is going to be highly followed, since we now find out that DJK broke the Boogey Man's nose, and gave him a stitchable head gash.

I'm just pleased as punch to have the Caps again involved in a "fight watch", because it just changes the whole dynamic. (Semin may even slap a couple guys around.)

Posted by: Hunterforcoach | September 11, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

@Capt_Kirk_in_AZ nads and a girlfriend of two years as of tomorrow.

Posted by: icehammer97 | September 11, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

icehammer97:
congrats on the 'young love' of two years. if i'm still around - let me know how things are going in 28 more. i just had my 30 yr anniversary last month. life can be one h*ll of a ride - enjoy it as much as you can.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | September 11, 2010 7:04 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

I was at that game. I took my boys who were 6 & 3 at the time. We sat in line with that far glass when OV did that. To this day my youngest will just randomly run into a wall and in his own announcers voice do a grumble yell, "and ovechkin crushes him into the glass"!

It really was sooooo cool to see. If you ever look at the replay you'll see what happens from the beginning. It was the beginning of the 3rd period. OV's line didn't start they were the 2nd team on. So during the play OV jumps the boards, skates as hard as he can across the entire rink along the blue line and absolutely destroys the Avs Dman & the glass just explodes in the air. Great great memory for my boys and I.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 11, 2010 8:47 PM | Report abuse