Catching Up With Brent Johnson; Nylander Update

Although the relationship between a team's two goalies can often be a fragile one, it wasn't an issue for the Capitals the past three seasons. Olie Kolzig and Brent Johnson were close friends off the ice and they had clearly defined roles on it--Kolzig was the undisputed starter and Johnson was the backup.

But with Kolzig going to Tampa Bay and Jose Theodore signing on to be the Caps' No. 1 last month, the netminding chemistry is going change in Washington this season.

Johnson told me today that he sees Kolzig's departure and Theodore's arrival as a opportunity for an increased role, between the pipes and in the locker room.

"We're going to have a healthy competition - and that's good," said Johnson, who had dinner and a drink with Theodore last week. "It's not good to not have a healthy competition."

"With Olie, I was set as the backup," Johnson continued. "That was it. I barely started two games in a row. That's just how it worked. I knew my role here. But with this being my fourth year here in Washington, I feel--now that Jose is here--that we could have a good competition. When Olie was here, I couldn't put that out there. Maybe my mindset was in the wrong place, because I knew I would only play one game and sit for five."

"I don't think the Coach or the GM are expecting me to play a lot, but I think I can show that I can play a lot. For me, at this stage of my career, I need to start playing and showing that this organization that I can do something else, more than just be the backup."

To that end, Johnson, who posted his best goals against (2.67) and save percentage (.908) as a Capital last season, has pushed up his summer training routine. In past years, he started skating seriously about two weeks before the start of training camp. This summer, he's been skating on and off with Boyd Gordon, and plans to skate five days a week beginning this week. Today at KCI, Johnson faced shots from Gordon, former Capitals prospect Stephen Werner, David Booth of the Florida Panthers and some locals I didn't recognize for about 1 ½ hours.

I don't know about you, but I like what I'm hearing from Johnson. A little competition is almost always a good thing, particularly when it comes to professional athletes, if you ask me.

On another subject, I've received a lot of emails from readers since Michael Nylander put his Potomac home on the market and that news hit the blog circuit. I'm hearing that it's nothing more than Nylander wanting to purchase another home (yes, in the Washington area). I'm not saying that he won't be asked to waive his NTC and get traded, all I'm saying is that there's no connection between him selling his home and his current status with the team.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 18, 2008; 2:23 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NHL Announces National TV Schedule
Next: Theodore Makes KCI Debut (Updated)

Comments

I wouldn't mind seeing more playing time for Brent Johnson.

Posted by: uncatim | August 18, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Nylander should get a chance to show how much he can help the team while he is healthy. He is an established top 6 NHL forward. Who knows what difference he could have made for a playoff push.

Posted by: Caps 423 | August 18, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

I would disagree with B.Johnson 100%. He should of never looked at himself as the back-up. He is only one injury away from being a starter. Especially with Kolzig being a bit older.

The same will be true this year, and he better be the best he can be..if he is posting good numbers, and J-Theo is slumping, he will get his playing time.

Posted by: SA-Town | August 18, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Tarik: When do these guys practice over the summer? I'd love to pop over to KCI to watch some practice sessions.

Posted by: Arlington, VA | August 18, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town I totally agree with you. We watched Nylander several times at CAPS practices and games. The man has a real hockey sense when it comes to controlling the puck and making a play. The problem he had last year was his injury. I am looking forward to watching him perform this year hopefully at 100%.

Posted by: LFR | August 18, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see that BJ has the right attitude....and I'm all for him trying to step it up and lobby for more playing time. We didn't, however, sign Theodore for the kind of $$$ we're paying for him to be the backup.

Posted by: NObama | August 18, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Good attitude from Johnson. He's proven he can be a good goaltender, but never on a consistant basis. Maybe that comes with more playing time. If he plays well, the competition is a good thing.

As for Nyls, glad to hear he just wants a new place in DC. I think he has so much to bring to the Caps and would be a mistake to trade him. We would really notice his absence next year if Feds is gone. I am anxious to see a healthy Nyles back in the lineup.

Posted by: Grape8 | August 18, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Sombrero or JSchon,

Was it one of you guys who was talking about the Caps having the 6th or 8th best ranked prospects / farm system a month or so ago? If yes, what was the source? If no, any idea who it was saying so. I'd like to see what kind of depth the other teams have.

Posted by: Steve R | August 18, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

good work, TEB: B. Johnson gets no pub and he's a damn good back up goalie. We're fortunate to have him.

And thanks also for shedding some light on Nyls' housing sitch (cripes, can it get any more desperate for pucks around here?) Hopefully, Fat Jack/Player can spare us in the future from their 'insider info' and tell his 'credible source' it's OK to mix and match her Garanimals

Posted by: bigonetimer | August 18, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Steve R: maybe you're looking for this:

Posted by: Anonymous | August 18, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I was at Kettler today and I watched Johnson for longer then i thought i would, he looked great to tell the truth. I know he wasn't facing the most difficult shots of his career, but what he did face he was handling with ease and looked to be in great shape. I would be thrilled if Johnson could give Theodore a run for his money and who knows maybe he will, I for one can't wait to find out. As for Nylander selling his house not being connected to any trades that might be in the works I'm not all that surprised if it was relevant he would have been traded by now is my guess. But if he's buying a new house in DC I would be stunned if he even considers waiving his no trade this to me sounds like he's settling down in the area.

Posted by: DC FURY | August 18, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Well now, I was immediately excited about Theodore coming aboard, with this update from Johnson I don't know whom I would rather be the starter. Anyone who has played competitively knows that more of it is mental than physical. I like this confident attitude and actually wouldn't mind to see it more cocky. You go Brent. I was cheering him on every chance he got the past few seasons and if he can be consistent this season that would be awesome. Competition is never bad.

Posted by: Super | August 18, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Did you see an old, fat slow guy taking shots at Johnny? If so, that was me.

Seriously, I like Johnson and all. I thought he handled the problem of being the "third wheel" very professionally and deserves a lot of respect for not letting it become a distraction. That said, he is on crack if he thinks he's getting more time under the Theodore system than under Olie. Olie was clearly the starter, but that started cracking when Olie's age and frankly lack of success caught up to him and Johnny got some good chances. Theodore is streaky, no doubt about it and Johnny may get more mop up duty in various blow-outs, but I see no reason, absent injury, that he starts more than 15 or so. They aren't paying Theo all the cash to ride the pine.

And regarding Nyls: Note to current players looking for a bigger house: Do it during the season so we won't go nuts and wring our hands over it with wild speculation. We might not even notice.

Posted by: old time hockey | August 18, 2008 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Theodore is the kind of goalie who will benefit from a hungry #2 breathing down his neck. I like what I'm hearing, and I agree with Tarik: athletes need healthy competition to thrive.

Posted by: Ben | August 18, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

JB as #1? It could happen, but I doubt it would be a good thing for anyone. Personally I have had nightmares about just that situation since we signed JT.

Posted by: Bob | August 18, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

I agree that Johnson's chances of challenging for the number one spot are extremely low, so he'll probably fall short of his goal, but if he plays like he wants to be #1 he might he'll still put up some great numbers for us even if they're not quite good enough.

Posted by: Capsfan00 | August 18, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

@Capsfan00,

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think its great that he's trying to be number 1 and he's generally been pretty good as a back-up, either spot starts or a mop up. If a little pressure makes both Jose and Johnny play better, then all the better. But, unless he puts up numbers that are vastly better than Jose, he isn't getting the #1 spot. I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Posted by: old time hockey | August 18, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I like hearing that Johnson and JT spent time together off the ice. I think Johnson will see a little more ice time this season, and it won't have anything to do with JT's performance.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | August 18, 2008 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Yup - That Hockey's Future excerpt was what i had refered to previously.

Glad to hear Johnny is fired up but I hope we see good Theo and not benched Theo. Still it's not hard to forsee Johnson playing more than he had behind Olie.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 18, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Hi Tarik,

I would not be surprised to see Johnson play more. We may need him to since Theodore has a rep for being inconsistent. I hope he'll get over that, but I also think Brent may be ready to take on more. I feel we'll be ok in net.

Great to hear that Nylander is staying. I thought he was so creative, quick, smart and one of the best passers I have ever seen. And hard worker! I went to a practice once last year and saw him practicng sprints at the end of practice from blue line to blue line, over and over, and over again against anyone who would agree to sprint against him. He must have felt he needed to improve, but he beat every single one of those young dudes who raced against him!

Posted by: Caps Fan Forever | August 18, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Johnson. I think he is a great goalie. We should be happy that we have Johnson as a Back-Up...As far as Nylander.. I don't think he is going anywhere... It's too bad he couldn't play last year. He would totally of helped out with the success. I'm very excited for Nylander and Clark to be back this year for ANOTHER great successful year.

Posted by: Caps Guy | August 18, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Hi Tarik,

What do you think? Do you agree that we should have all our best players from last year so we have a legitimate shot at doing really well this year? If you were GM, wouldn't you deal one of the lesser skilled individuals?

I would not trade: Ovy, Semin, Nylander,Backstrom, for offense, and prefer not to trade Clarke, Fedorov, but after that I am open....

Posted by: Caps Nut | August 18, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

I wish Johnson would've played more last season when Kolzig was not inconsistent but just plan disastrous.

Posted by: JSchon | August 18, 2008 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Despite the real estate posturing, I have a hunch Nylander is out of here before opening night. Boudreau likes Feds better, and trading Nyls is an easy way to solve our cap problems.

Do I think it's a good idea? Hell no. Could I see it happening? Absolutely.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | August 18, 2008 6:53 PM | Report abuse

We do not have a Cap problem so to speak.

Posted by: Hello | August 18, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree, we have no cap issue, today or next season.

Posted by: JSchon | August 18, 2008 7:08 PM | Report abuse

not concerned about the cap right now either, but it will get interesting at the trade deadline...

Posted by: bigonetimer | August 18, 2008 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Scott in Shaw,

trading Nylander would still give us a cap hit for whomever we got in return for him...think Bieska or someone of that nature on the nucks....also He is our second best scorer/point producer we won't trade him

Posted by: capshockey98 | August 18, 2008 7:42 PM | Report abuse

@Scott--

I hear you--I dont necessarily think Bruce likes him better.. I think GMGM and Ted do--because to the average fan Feds is god, and thats $$.

To replace Michael with Feds is a dumb hockey move, smarter business move. Let's see if they're about winning or selling seats. Keeping them both is the route to go. If you need to work around the Cap--deal with players that aren't worth a damn.

Love what Im hearing from Brent. Hopefully he can keep Jose fresh and on-top of his game. Couldn't ask for a better team guy in BJ.

Posted by: craig | August 18, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

RE: Theodore being paid the big bucks

I'm hoping Boudreau wouldn't look at things this way. Does anyone remember Mark Denis? Let's hope Theo doesn't go the way of him, but honestly if he's not putting up the numbers, you better put Johnson in. If Johnson goes on a hot streak, you better leave him in. It doesn't matter who's getting paid the money. It matters who's winning the games.

On the flip side, I really don't think it's fair to look at Johnson as a goaltender we can ride into the playoffs. I mean the guy looked like a saint mostly because we were so busy picking on Olie for the 200 7-hole goals against last year.

Posted by: Raber | August 18, 2008 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Do we need to start a chant? Tarik, when you say house thing not related but could happen, I hope you don't think it will or should?

We Want 92!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: WeWant92 | August 18, 2008 8:52 PM | Report abuse

If you were going for a cup run, who would you not trade??? (I know, I know, some of them are not here, or expected to be on roster)

Forwards 07-08 PPG Rank
Matt Bradley 0.23 14
David Steckel 0.18 15
Quintin Laing 0.15 16
Donald Brashear 0.10 17
Chris Bourque 0.00 18

Posted by: StatMan | August 18, 2008 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I'm liking the fact we can trade nylander. I'm a huge fan of his but right know I think it would be a good move for the CAPS cause he's owed a lot of money. The 4.8mil/yr doesent bother me but the 3years left does. Don't know about his health. He makes people better. Great puck handler. But with various teams(vancover,toronto,habs) all looking for a player like him, depending on what happens with sundine. If we can get good talent in return i would do it. But he does have NTC.

Posted by: smartfan | August 18, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

lets put this goalie crap to rest. Brent is awesome and one of the best backups. If he started he would be one of the worst. Jose best is better than brents best. Jose is a former MVP and could play at a high level. Even if Brent played his best it won't be to the level of league MVP. I like his mindset; going into camp competing. A stanley cup team needs two good goalies. No one should be comfortable with there job, that's why players do the best in contract years.

JOSE is the starter. I know there nothing to talk about but lets not talk about a goalie controversy.

Posted by: smartfan | August 18, 2008 9:08 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan

Did anyone in here say that B.Johnson should be the starter?

Posted by: JSchon | August 18, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, maybe I have to read back a ton, but everyone is saying keep Nyls, and I agree, but why are we even talking about trading nyls? Like why is the discussion not "should we trade Gordon" Bradley" Fleishmann" or even "Kozlov"

Posted by: Another Cap Fan | August 18, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Ok, my bad. I just saw it was because his house is for sale. Never mind.

But I am with you all....let's keep him!

Posted by: Another Cap Fan | August 18, 2008 9:36 PM | Report abuse

idea for Cap relief: Ovy on LTIR for 1 game . How much $$$ would that save us????
:-)

Posted by: Light Bulb | August 18, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

@smartfan
"He makes people better. Great puck handler. But with various teams(vancover,toronto,habs) all looking for a player like him, depending on what happens with sundine."

If they are all looking for a player like him, and I bet they are....hello, earth calling GM...we have him: why would we give him up?

Posted by: Just a Dumb Fan | August 18, 2008 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Did you see the story about Nicklas being out far from shore on a water scooter? And the storm came up?

Apart from Nyls being one of the best players on the team, I still think he is needed also to be a grounding force on Nicklas. My kids play at the rink in Rockville. On almost every Caps day off, we'd see Backstrom with Nyls watching Nyls kids practice or play at the Rockville rink. There was a book about people leaving their countries. It takes 2 full years to adapt and not feel out of place. For those who have not moved away from their country, they can't understand the feeling of loss that you go through. He, NB, still needs daddy Nyls....

Posted by: Save Nicklas | August 18, 2008 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the final year of Johnson's contract? He is angling for more playing time, so he can get a nice fat contract next year.

Lets not kid ourselves, if BB or GMGM thought Johnson was #1 material they would have NOT invested $4.5M X@ on JT.

Opening night can't come soon enough

Posted by: Genotype55 | August 19, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone is quetioning signing another #1 goalie. But I think lots think that Johnson is pretty decent and could maybe, once he has the confidence to feel he has a shot, be able to spring to the next level. Let's just hope that we have that problem: 2 awesome goalies and hard time to figure who to put in :-)

About Nylander, I say we gave him a no movement bec we knew we wanted someone like him around for the next few years. He certainly proved his worth last year. I wouldn't be concerned about injury: anyone can get injured. Saw him at Kettler in spring, was working out. Looked pretty freakin healthy to me. He went by me so I asked him how he felt. He said he was stronger than before the injury and he ws dying to get back to playing.

Posted by: JR | August 19, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Here's an interesting article by Steven Hindle about the Caps Cap problem (not to worry, Eklund does not have any input on this).

This article makes sense and I would say it shouldn't create any trouble for us. Nyls and Feds are staying.
I believe GMGM has thought this issue correctly and is in good position.

Posted by: Nils | August 19, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Tarik
Did you or did Olie ever speak to you about the person he felt was ruining the locker room in the first half of the season..in an interview he mentioned just because Hanlon was gone it did not fix the locker room problem and then Nyls went out injured and we started winning -- could be just a coincedence or maybe he was dogging it with his shoulder injury and not telling his teammates -- Nylander has always had potential and I have nothing against him as long as he earns his pay for us -- Defense was/is our weakness not goaltending (JSchon, Olie was hung out to dry on many occassions, remember we started winning at Thanksgiving, Huet did not come until March)

Posted by: capsgary | August 19, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@CapsGary
I was thinking that it was more of a coincedence (reason) that it was when Bruce was hired we started to win, rather than when Nyls went out, and we starting winning, just happened to be around the same time.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | August 19, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Look, I love Nyls and think he needs to stick around for all the reasons mentioned (he's got second-best ppg, he mentors Backs, in case of injury to other centers, Feds will be retired/bad in a year or two), but what makes you think HE WANTS to stick around and play third-line minutes? And don't think he won't be on the third line. As I said, Gabby likes Feds. (Craig -- GMGM loves Nyls.)

For more on this, see Japers' Rink today.

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | August 19, 2008 10:09 AM | Report abuse

When did Olie ever say there was a locker room problem? What did he say exactly?

Are you sure he wasn't simply referring to the fact that we sucked and morale was low?

Posted by: Ben | August 19, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Just caught this, thought it was good to know about some of the teams in our division:

We should have someone in Carolina stockpile these

Posted by: AP | August 19, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

For anyone who thinks that the Captials can enter the season with their existing roster and will not have a cap problem you're not looking deep enough. With Pothier on LTIR (which is an inevitability) the team is $900K over the cap assuming Alzner makes the team. If Alzner doesn't, and someone like Lepisto does, then they would be barely under the cap.

But it baffles me that no one is talking about injuries. How common is it to go an entire season without having injuries? Players who are placed on IR still count against the cap. Therefore if you want to call up players to fill in for the injured players you have to have cap room available. Yes, the cap room is decided by breaking down salaries at a daily level (which is why you see paper transactions so often these days). But if a team is right up against the cap not only do they not have flexibility to make a move at the deadline, they have little to no flexibility to replace injured players (which making a trade to shed salary).

I'm not saying what is going to happen, that anyone will be traded, that anyone will be waived, etc. I'm simply saying the Caps won't be able to stand pat, at some point there is going to be a move made. Of course, that's just my opinion so we'll see.

Posted by: StikSav | August 19, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Sure Federov was at one time the best player in the world, but with the stock pile of fowards we have i think his salary and playing time could have been put to better use. As Caps fans we want to believe that he will be a mentor to our younger russian players and so on. But look at his time spent in columbus, he put up "ok" numbers but columbus was pretty much parked in the cellar for those three years. Feds experience didnt seem to do much for them. If the caps want to think trade, please dont mention nyls...think feds or kozlov.

Posted by: feds? | August 19, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Feds? comments, but would sent out koz first.

And the person who said Bruce came in and Nyls went out same time: wrong. Bruce came in Nov, Nyls played until mid Jan. And we started winning when Bruce came. I never heard about a locker room problem. There may have been one when Hanlon was there. He didn't play to win, didn't have the winning attitude that Bruce does. Weren't there comments about "let's have fun" etc. I can imagine a few players having a problem with that attitude!

Posted by: Koz?? | August 19, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Nils-liked the article. Can you send it to GM???

I want an opening night with ALL the top forwards. I wanna score like 9 goals and start out with a BANG!

Posted by: JR | August 19, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@capsgary

Man, I spent many many minutes on the Kolzig bring horrible and us winning despite his poor goaltending. Kolzig, himself, said he was really bad last season. But go ahead blame the defense. It amazes me that we are still apologizing for Olie in here.

@genotype

What fat contract? Johnson is playing to be relevant in the NHL, not a big contract. He will get a few teams interested, but if Conklin didnt get the contract he was looking for, its another 1 or 2 year contract at less than $1M per.

Posted by: JSchon | August 19, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

From my highly placed sources withing the organization, Pothier is going on LTIR. As soon as that happens (Before training camp) look for 1 or more moves, lowering out cap hit.

Posted by: Leeguru | August 19, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I think Fed's time in Columbus is not a fair comparison to Washington. Outside of Nash, Columbus did not have much young talent to work with, and they're playing in a more defensive, stagnant system. Feds is a much better fit, and a much happier player in Washington and it will show this season. I think we gave him too much money by about 1 million, which is a shame because we could use the cushion right about now.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 19, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

For the love of God, can we PLEASE stop talking about how bad Olie sucked or didn't suck last season. That horse has been beaten into glue.

Posted by: Steve R | August 19, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

But Steve, he REALLY sucked last season.

Posted by: Leeguru | August 19, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Olie cost us a lot points last year. Anyone who cant see that is not watching the games. Sure he was left out to dry a few times, but so is every goalie and the good ones come up with big saves.

Olie was solid in a few games (e.g.,tampa, calgary,rangers) but terrible in about 90% of his starts. I dont even want to discuss his toronto debacle in the final 30 seconds or his pathetic display in a shooutout against detroit where he got beat by the same move 3 times and wasnt even close to saving any one.

Ill give him the benefit of the doubt for the chicago game, team was terrible. However olie cost us at least 8 to 10 pts last season. I watched all the games and it so freakin painful with him in net.

I love olie and looking forward to seeing his number in the vc rafters but no way should he be more than a backup at this stage of his career

Posted by: O-V-P | August 19, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

the following teams are either over the cap or less than 1M under it:

PHI: 4.5M over
CHI: 2.5M over
CAL: 1.5M over
ANA: 1.3M over
SJ: .2M over
DET: .6 under
DAL: .9 under

point is...don't worry about the Caps Cap, it'll all be settled shortly

Posted by: nhlnumbers | August 19, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Lee,

Every time you mention Olie, I'm going to have to say:

Bryzgalov

Posted by: Steve R | August 19, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

OVP,

And the other Toronto game when Mats scored high glove side from 60 feet away unscreened and Olie's glove didn't move until the puck was behind him....

Posted by: Steve R | August 19, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Yep Steve R

Those were the good ol'days.

Remember when we tied, I think it was the Islanders, late in the 3rd and were 13 seconds away from OT and a point? Then Olie let one slip 5 hole at about 3 mph. Oh what memories.

Posted by: JSchon | August 19, 2008 1:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Jschon

I think you may be more bitter at Olie than chief is at management -- I'm on chief's side for this one

Posted by: capsgary | August 19, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Bitter at Olie? Not hardly. Just realistic. Olie got old and he sucked. Those are the cold hard facts.

Posted by: JSchon | August 19, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I guess the whole reason to talk about Olie is to figure out if the defense is really better than we thought they were.

I think they got a lot better with Huet in net. Maybe it was just a cjhange and a confidence thing. Who knows. But we can build on that.

Our style, I hope it continues, is to score lots of goals. Fun to watch and can cover up some mistakes as we try out new d and our new goalie fits in.

I hope there is no more talk about moving Nyls. I wouldn't make him 3rd line. I would move him or someone to a wing to put our best guys on top 2. or maybe, just maybe, make 2 equal 2nd lines, if some people step up at training camp.

Great options to have....

Posted by: Puck Happy | August 19, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

tarik

sooooooooooo, do you think there is a better than 50% chance he will be traded? or are you just saying that you are not saying that he will?

Posted by: huh | August 19, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Can't we all wait until training camp and see what we have? Let's keep the best and if someone has to go...let it be someone who doesn't perform in camp. There are teams out there with some cap room and so we'll be able to make some moves if we have to. Let's not do anythng major right now....that's my vote. and trading Nyls would be something major in my book........

Posted by: no hasty moves | August 19, 2008 11:43 PM | Report abuse