Changes coming on Caps beat

As you have probably heard by now, my run as Caps beat writer is coming to an end after five years.

I'm terrible with goodbyes, so I'll keep this brief. It's been an honor and privilege to cover the hockey team I grew up watching for the newspaper I grew up reading. But the time has come for me to seek out new challenges and, equally as important, spend more time at home after living out of a suitcase every fall, winter and spring since Oct. 2005.

I'm not leaving The Post. I'm simply changing gears and will report on other sports I'm just as passionate about: college hoops (Georgetown basketball specifically) and auto racing (NASCAR and the Indy 500). I'll also take on boxing, action sports, MMA and will help out on hockey in the playoffs and whenever else I'm needed.

Don't worry, Capitals Insider isn't going anywhere. In the coming weeks, Katie Carrera will transition into her new role as lead reporter on the blog and in the paper. Please join me in welcoming her. Also, if you're not already, you can follow Katie on Twitter at @WPKatieCarrera.

Again, thanks for five great years and helping this blog become more popular than anyone fathomed when I pitched the idea in 2006. I'm excited about my new role -- and the fact that the hockey team I'll follow this winter will be my six-year-old son's mite squad.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 30, 2010; 11:18 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps acquire tough guy D.J. King from St. Louis [updated]
Next: McPhee on trading for D.J. King and re-signing Tomas Fleischmann

Comments

It won't be the same. It will be hard for Katie to top you Tarik. Thanks for the great blog!

Posted by: larryn703 | July 30, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the posts over the years, enjoy your time with your kids!

Posted by: malujoker | July 30, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for a job well done.

Posted by: billmelater | July 30, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Tariq -

I work right next to the WP building on 15th and always walk past it thinking I might catch you walking in or out and exchange a good fist bump, Gonchar whoop or some other good sporting quip... now it looks like you'll be around more so I'll keep my hopes alive... that sounds stalker-ish, but in all honesty, its been a pleasure reading your analysis and coverage these years. Good luck with all your endeavors.

Posted by: RichieRich421 | July 30, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

and i meant a k not a q

Posted by: RichieRich421 | July 30, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Thanx for all your hard work Tarik. We will all miss you...

Posted by: jacobware222 | July 30, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanx for all your hard work Tarik. We will all miss you...

Posted by: jacobware222 | July 30, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

TAB thanks for all your hard work and effort, I check this link every day during the season and have enjoyed your insight. Enjoy your family time and good luck to your son's team!

Posted by: mryan15 | July 30, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Wow Tariq. Thanks for covering everything CAPS since the team blow-up and re-construction! Great job, we'll miss you, and all the best!

Posted by: Shipdriver | July 30, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I will miss your blog! First thing every morning, after logging on, I check out your blog to see what's going on with the Capitals. Living in the Caribbean (my hubby used to be season ticket holder - seats on the glass) has been really difficult as a Capitals hockey fan - your blog has helped to bridge that distance and make us feel a part of the action. Good luck with your new adventures and welcome Katie!

Posted by: maleenda | July 30, 2010 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Tarik - your stuff was consistently top-notch and undeniably professional, and we'll all miss you at Capitals Insider. Good luck.

Posted by: jcoral128 | July 30, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - best of luck. Your blog is the first place I go to each morning. I will miss your updates and insight and hope you enjoy your new assignment.

Posted by: capsnnats | July 30, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Your blog was one of the best, like top 3, and other beat writers followed. Personally I suggested to look at your blog to Anzar Khan of www.mlive.com and sent me 'thank you' with the changes he made later using your blog as an example. Thank you, I hope you will write here as a guest.

Posted by: CodePoetry | July 30, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

You will be missed Tarik. I have followed the Caps Insider religiosly for the last couple years. Sad to be losing your skills to other sports. Good luck to your son's team BTW!

You leave big shoes to fill. That said, I know Katie will do a great job, and I look forward to continued great Caps coverage on the blog!

Posted by: BigRed8 | July 30, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -

Thank you for your all of your hard work these past 5 years. You have been a constant, dedicated voice for Caps fans the world over. I wish you all the best in your new endeavors.

Now, go enjoy that family of yours. I know they can't wait to see you for dinner!

Regards,

Posted by: Terptwin | July 30, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations on your new responsibilities and many thanks for a job very well done.

Posted by: vafan3 | July 30, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Tarik! It has been fun! I will still be looking forward to your hockey analysis in this medium and on WAPO live!

Posted by: mjwies11 | July 30, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks from a daily follower of this blog.
I have been a loyal Caps fan since 1975 and I can not recall more dedicated coverage than you have given us. This includes the Old Star, the Times, and your predecessor's at this rag.
I am really happy you will be able to follow your son, as I had to make similar choices with my daughter in soccer as she progressed from a little one through College play.
As it sounds like you know, this is time you can not make up.

Posted by: joepar703 | July 30, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - Thank you very much for all of the hard work and dedication to the Caps and their fans for the past five years. I always start off my day by reading your section, even in the summer, and it has always been top notch. Best of luck with everything.

Posted by: umdterp3411 | July 30, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: umdterp3411 | July 30, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for 5 years of great reporting!

Posted by: Oldscool12 | July 30, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

You will certainly be missed - and most likely - irreplaceable. I guess its true that all good things must end. Good luck in the future - enjoy the family - that's what its really all about.

Posted by: hersheybearfan | July 30, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Thank you so much for your terrific reporting. You will be missed by the Caps faithful and hockey fans everywhere. My colleague in Nashville, a Canadian transplant and huge Preds fan, agrees with me that you are one of the best out there.

Posted by: sgoodfel1 | July 30, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

good luck Tarik and the first thing you should do when you go to a NASCAR race is do a sitdown with Kyle Busch :)

Posted by: joek443 | July 30, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

You will be missed, TEB.

Good job and good luck to you (and your your son)!

I only hope that your successor brings the same diligence and dedication to CI that you did.

Respectfully,

Das Rhino

Posted by: Rhino40 | July 30, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Will miss your hockey insight, the quick updates to keep fans in the loop and our conversations/e-mails on this and that over the last few years. Enjoy the new challenges and give Tony Stewart a cheer for me at your next NASCAR race (quietly, as I know you can't appear biased). Cheers!

Posted by: Varly | July 30, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
you were always my most reliable source of information. The first thing i do when i wake up is check your blog and there is always something there for me to read. I really appreciate all the hard work you do. Good luck in the future and thanks for a great 5 years!

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | July 30, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck Tarik. Its been a pleasure following your reliable reports over the years.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | July 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Man, who cares about your kids? I need my Caps coverage.

C'mon TEB, have a change of heart!!!!!

Oh well, best of luck. We'll miss you though.......

Posted by: CF11555 | July 30, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Best of luck, Tarik. Will also miss your appearances on "Hockey Night in Canada" with Jeff Marek.

On a positive, perhaps with Tarik leaving the beat, maybe 2011 is the Caps year?!

Would be a pure coincidence.

Posted by: redrocker2 | July 30, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

TEB Thank you for all that you have done, Im sad to hear your leaving but understand.

What I dont understand is why a Pens Fan is taking over, Is there anything you can do about this. It will be hard to understand this blod and writings about the Caps coming from a Pens fan. The Post wouldnt put a Cowboys fan on thier beat would they?

Best wishes to you and your family! You were the best!

Posted by: darrylrbaker | July 30, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Tarik! Your hard work on this blog is immensely appreciated. You've made this the first place to go for Capitals news. Love your writing style and we'll miss you covering the Caps. What a time to be the beat reporter for the Caps!

Posted by: washcaps | July 30, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I actually gasped out loud when I read the first sentence of this post. Thank you for your thorough, insightful, and extensive coverage - as well as your obvious passion for, and interest in, the Caps. It has been a wonderful ride!! Welcome, Katie!

Posted by: lauramuck | July 30, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your hard work the last 5 years. I look forward to all your daily updates through out the year. Much appreciated and good luck!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | July 30, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Just wanted to add my Thanks, Tarik. I've enjoyed your articles and the blog. Best of luck with the change. Enjoy your time with the little guy. They grow up too fast.

Posted by: tess2201 | July 30, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Blesses and thanksto you and your family...
Katie can't replace you. You'll be missed here in Reston.

Posted by: Berndaddy | July 30, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Ah jeez, what a bummer! Your Caps coverage was one of the few reasons why I continued to read the Post, Tarik. Best wishes on your new assignments.

Greetings Katie.

Will we continue to see Lindsay Applebaum here too?

Posted by: braunt | July 30, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to see the best Caps beat reporter in DC leave. Won't be the same without you.

Posted by: MikeF703 | July 30, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Tarik you do Good Counsel proud! Good luck to you.

Posted by: lougy | July 30, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik for the extremely good coverage;Katie has some big skates, or shoes, to fill. :-)

Posted by: Hattrik | July 30, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - great job, always. Thank you for keeping out of towners like me in the loop so well.

Posted by: rh71 | July 30, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Always a job well done with updates to previous posts and importantly correct information. Its been a great read, Tarik.

Posted by: breaklance | July 30, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Bummer! You're one of the Post's best sportswriters, Tarik, I'm sad to see you go. Best of luck on the new beat(s)!

Posted by: grahamdumas | July 30, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik! I'm sorry to see you go...I've enjoyed reading your articles and blog during the past 5 years. Good luck with your new Post responsibilities (and being a "hockey Dad", too).

Posted by: cort1000 | July 30, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Thanks for all of the coverage the past few years. You've thoroughly covered the Caps and tirelessly provided news, insights and analysis for the team we all love.

Caps Insider won't be the same without you!

Best wishes.

Posted by: ellinwoods | July 30, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, it has truly been an honor to be able to follow the team through capitals insider and in the post. Thank you for spending countless hours reporting on the team to get information out to us fans. You are a pioneer in starting the capitals insider and I appreciate everything that you have done. Good luck in your new role. I am sure that Katie will do a great job!

Posted by: rockinthered1 | July 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your coverage and all the best in the future!

Posted by: Charlie1979 | July 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - thanks for the coverage and good luck in your new endeavors.

Welcome Katie!!!

Posted by: instinct227 | July 30, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I cant thank you enough for all the great CAPS coverage, and from my own personal point, the welcome you gave me on my DC visits.
My most prized possession, (well, up there with my Holy stick of Peter Bondra)is the printed out version of the "From England With Love" that you done for me in 2006.
All the very best to you.
Johnny Drummond England

Posted by: johnnydrum | July 30, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Tariq - thanks for the most reliable reporting on any sport in town. Didn't know you we're a Good Counsel guy, but at least it's preferable now knowing I was reading a competent Falcon to listening to the 2nd-tier school (DeMatha) grads on the WJFK Junkies trying & failing to describe hockey one in a while.
Best of luck!

pgeagle
Gonzaga '71

Posted by: pgeagle | July 30, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for 5 great years Tarik. You are a true professional an you will be missed.

Enjoy your extra time with your family and good luck with your future endeavors.

Posted by: pkendrick | July 30, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

There's not much else I can say that hasn't been expressed in the entries above. I made your blog the first stop in my daily hockey updates. My sons and I would update one another on the latest news here if we were unable to see it for ourselves. "What did Tarik report on this?" inevitably came up often in our hockey conversations. We'll miss having you here. We wish you the best in whatever you do and, as a dad with three grown children, I can tell you this -- enjoy them while they're young because they grow up quick. Good luck, amigo!

Posted by: Puckdawg69 | July 30, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

I really can't add anything more that's not been said already. So only to add I will miss seeing and talking to you at the game.

Thanks for a GREAT job! Katie has big shoes to fill but I know you showed her all the ropes.

Chris-

Posted by: Cheer2Caps | July 30, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

losing you and Laing in the same year sucks

Posted by: wendel2 | July 30, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Thanks for 5 great years of the best Caps coverage. It will not be the same without you. Best wishes with the new job. Enjoy your time w your family. Nothing is better. And to Katie - Welcome!

Posted by: capfan89 | July 30, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Thanks for all the new and stories its not going to be same and Katie has her work cut out to fill you shoes. Thanks again. And best wishes with the new gig. Katie Welcome !!

Posted by: bqts | July 30, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Wow where do I start..I guess best is to say thanks so much for all your great coverage of our Caps. You will be sorely missed on the Caps beat. Good Luck and I hope to catch some of your work on G-town hoops.
Do all that you can to make it to every one of your son's hockey games...man they grow up so fast. It seems like just yesterday I was attending my son's ( he just turned 20 ). Those are the times you can't put a price on.
It was awesome to have a CAPS FAN covering the Caps so with me the jury will be out on the newcomer. ;)
Remember Tarik " Keep Rocking The Red "

Posted by: jotay131 | July 30, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tarik, for all your reporting and videos! I will miss your voice on the CI blog.

Is it true that Katie is a Pens fan? If she is, I hope she'll give the Caps their due props in spite of that.

Enjoy your family, and I know your son will be thrilled to have you at his games.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | July 30, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -- congratulations on a fine run as the Caps beat writer and blogger. I want to thank you for always responding promptly the several times I contacted you over the years with a question or a comment about hockey generally or the Caps specifically. Responsiveness is such an important attribute in your profession, as well as in others, so it's nice to see it healthy.

Most of all, do enjoy all of those youth hockey games! As a hockey mom of 3 for the last 9 years, it certainly gives you a new appreciation for the game.

We look forward to seeing your skills applied to the Caps next year when they need extra hands to cover a deep play-off run . . . and more.

Posted by: Steakum | July 30, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik! Thanks much for all your good work and good luck in your future endeavours. Cheers!

Posted by: YouAreABigWhiner | July 30, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
We've all appreciate the dedication and quality you have brought to the Capitals reporting of the Post. You have been an innovator in connecting with your readers, and have served as a great example of a dispassionate reporter for a local professional team. You are a great professional journalist, and should be very proud of your work on the Capitals beat. You will be greatly missed. Good luck with your future endeavors.
Preston Calvert

Posted by: pcalver1 | July 30, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

You have been nothing short of a class act Tarik. Wish you all the best in your future endeavours, you will be missed by the Caps nation.

Posted by: zosodave | July 30, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Tarik for everything you've done. You've done a fantastic job covering this team. I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors.

Katie is going to do a great job.

Posted by: rachel216 | July 30, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, You did a great job keeping everyone up to date on Caps' news. Any chance you can actually get the post to write more then two sentences on Indycar on a race weekend?

Posted by: icehammer97 | July 30, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, all the above praise is on-point. Having a knowledgeable, dedicated and talented beat writer for the Caps was quite a luxury. We will miss you here, even as we welcome Katie -- I still remember her terrific article last year on Hershey's embrace of hockey.

Best of luck, and thanks for the hard and excellent work!

Posted by: newbie1 | July 30, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Best wishes in all your future endeavors Tarik. You did a great job on the Caps beat. You're part of my big 3 of Caps writers in the team's history-- Bob Fachet, then Dave Fay, then Tarik.

Posted by: calhokie | July 30, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I often bounce around trying to find info on other NHL teams, either prior to Caps' games versus them or fantasy or just news, and I gotta say that Tarik is BY FAR the best of the beat reporters.

I've only been here three years, I have season tickets, and this is the first place I go nearly everyday.

A job well done, and best wishes.

p.s. Can I have your little press row corner spot so I can get some laptop connectivity during games?

Posted by: saintex | July 30, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Well done, Tarik! The Caps are in my top three NHL teams, and your writing has contributed to this.
Best of luck in your new jobs!

Posted by: rufusthedog | July 30, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

TEB, job well done man!!! you will be missed by many, good luck with your new future. C.A.P.S. CAPS CAPS CAPS

Posted by: bratface05 | July 30, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Thank you for all of your hard work and insight. ANd good luck in the future.

Posted by: bluejeener1 | July 30, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tarik, for your hard work and sacrifice. I've enjoyed reading your hockey articles and posts, and I'm very glad you're changing your focus, not leaving The Post. Enjoy the family time!

Posted by: wocoliz | July 30, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I am sorry to hear this. Tarik, like I told you in Atlanta - maybe you'll want to move to the small screen like your predecessors: Rachel and Jason. Thanks for all your dedicated reporting. We Caps fans are deeply grateful.

Posted by: CAP-lanta | July 30, 2010 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, thanks for all the great articles and coverage. We hope you can still contribute to Caps stuff on occasion. Best wishes for the future!

Posted by: timmyv38 | July 30, 2010 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, thanks for all your hard work and great Capitals coverage. Best luck on your new assignment.

Posted by: dezlboy1 | July 30, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your great coverage of the Caps over the years Tarik. Sad to see you go but I'm excited about the future of the franchise. I'm glad to be happy you will be contributing to what I hope will be a long playoff run next season. A warm welcome to Katie from all the Caps fans.

Posted by: jmarks09 | July 30, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Job well done.

Posted by: copedog311 | July 31, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Job well done.

Posted by: copedog311 | July 31, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Tariq and thanks for your service!

Posted by: RedLitYogi | July 31, 2010 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Good luck with the change over. I hope it works well for you. Katie will be welcomed, but we will miss you. Thank you for bringing us Caps hockey news over the last few years.

Posted by: DAN-JR | July 31, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, you've done a brilliant job satisfying the on and off season needs of Caps fans. Enjoy the youth hockey. It's why I gave up officiating - to spend more time with the kids. See you around the Ice House.

Posted by: cwiseman | July 31, 2010 7:06 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the great coverage Tarik. I'm glad you pitched the Caps Insider blog to the Post, it has been one of my favorite reads.

Posted by: sjshanno | July 31, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh man... this new chick has some big shoes to fill. Nice job, Tarik.

Posted by: TBDog | July 31, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Tarik, you will be missed. Can't say I blame you for wanting to stay home more often to spend time with you family. Thanks for everything.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | July 31, 2010 8:29 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Family is what it is all about. I'm glad your mite will have you as a hands-on dad and #1 fan.
You'll always be appreciated for covering the team with a journalist's eye, but with an ear for what the rabid fans wanted to know.
Those are some lucky fools following the Georgetown Hoyas and NASCAR (gack! what a waste of writing talent)in the Post. They will enjoy the professionalism and the fun.

All Hail our new Insider, Katie!!

Go Caps!!!

Posted by: chucktownCAPSfan | July 31, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Sad news, but I understand wanting to have a better balance between work and life. I've said this many times before and I'll say it again. CI is the best beat reporter blog in the NHL by a country mile. Whenever I've searched for info on other teams and went to their beat blogs I've always been very disappointed because I've been spoiled by how good CI was. Best of luck, Tarik.

Posted by: ranndino | July 31, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Super job. You were the 24/7 guy. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

Posted by: tslats | July 31, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Going to miss you terribly....Always informative.

Posted by: ljo211 | July 31, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,
Was great to have the chance to speak with you today...look for a "thank you" in the mail.

Class is absolutely the best way to describe the way you carry yourself and I truly believe that you have enhanced the fan experience to what it is today.
I do have one parting request that may be difficult to fulfill...Would you consider writing about the team's reaction to your new assignment (if not too personal to share)? One can only imagine the relationships you have built and the balancing act that you have had to do to provide us with the "scoop" while maintaining those relationships.

Sending sincere "Best Wishes" to you and your family.

Here's to hoping that the tides change in the future where you see fit to do another five years!

Great Job!

Posted by: WCAPS1 | July 31, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

TEB, you and your dedication and knowledge of the game, team and the players will be missed. Time flies so quickly with your family it's wonderful that you are taking the time to spend with them. Enjoy your new endeavors, best wishes, know that you will be missed.

Posted by: hockeymom5 | July 31, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

It's hard to believe that you've been on the Caps beat for 5 years. It is amazing how much the team has changed over that time as well. I will miss your personal touch to the team coverage, the game wrap up videos and the blog.

The thing I think that has endeared you to many Caps fans, is that it was obvious to us that you love the sport of hockey. Too many times the Caps beat has been covered by reporters who just as obviously had little or no interest in the sport and were only doing it because they had to.

We hockey fans are sensitive beasts. And we can spot a poseur from the opposite blue line with ease. You are the real deal, and we will miss that honest kind of reporting about the team and sport we all love. We will give Katie a chance, but she has got a tough act to follow.

Good luck, cheers to you and a job well done!

Posted by: Xchekker94 | August 1, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes Tarik. You are by far the most knowledgeable and dependable reporter covering the Caps. I will miss your articles and insightful analysis. I wish you would continue on but I understand. Good luck with your new coverage and thanks for all the great articles.

Posted by: cirrus_nine | August 1, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for 5 great years of very insightful, thoughtful and honest reporting. While we wish you the best with your career, you'll certainly be missed.

Posted by: VA-HockeyFan | August 1, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Best wishes TAB.
We will miss you.

Posted by: Rocc00 | August 1, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha.. I just find it funny that as if Pens owning the Caps in terms of NHL hardware isn't enough, now the Caps Insider/blog is owned by a Pens fan!! Talk about a slap in the face... I feel for you, Caps fans.

Tarik will be missed, definitely was one of the best NHL beat writers in the biz!

Posted by: BigGameSid | August 1, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the great work and effort...you'll be missed!

Posted by: JCB9 | August 1, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like a demotion to me. Damn Tarik, why are they making you cover sports that nobody in this town blinks at and remove from one of the hottest tickets in town. Wow.

Posted by: blanknerc | August 1, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Tarik, You rock and should travel north on 1.1.11 to cover the game.

Posted by: letsgoCaps | August 1, 2010 11:51 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Good luck and thank you.

Posted by: BetterOffWithFedorov | August 2, 2010 8:10 AM | Report abuse

BigGameSid:

Yes, it's another PA native coming down to DC for a job because there aren't that many in rust belt land.

Correction: Pens own the Caps in the post season hardware where it obviously counts the most. However, Ovi is actually ahead of Sid in the individual hardware. Caps are ahead of Pens in the regular and minor league hardware, and last year Caps swept the Pens in the regular season.

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | August 2, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Oh and PS...

Great job Tarik. I am going to miss your great coverage. I hope things get into balance with you family. I am going to miss your print!

Posted by: theAnswerIs42 | August 2, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Good luck to you in the future, I am going to miss your blogs and your sense of humor in them. I hope Katie will blog just as well as you.

Thanks for the 5 years of insider information on one of the most powerful teams in the NHL. GO CAPS!

Posted by: navidw | August 2, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Great coverage the last 5 yrs Tarik. Good to hear you're staying in the area and not leaving for espn. you and Gene W. should pitch a tv show to CSN, give Ivan a little run for his money.. (:

Posted by: madlib703 | August 3, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for an awesome job on the Capitals Insider. You have built done a great job making this a top notch sit for Caps fans.

Best of luck to you in the future, and thanks again.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | August 3, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse