Changes happening in Ted Leonsis's new sports empire

In case you missed it, business writer Thomas Heath reported yesterday that some monumental (ugh) changes are afoot in Capitals owner Ted Leonsis's Monumental Sports and Entertainment, which now includes the Wizards and Verizon Center.

Dick Patrick will serve as chief operating officer of Monumental, reporting to Leonsis, as well as keeping his job as president of the Capitals. Patrick will also run most of the revenue-generating groups at Monumental, overseeing the combined ticket, sponsorship and premium seating sales organizations.
On the media side, Capitals spokesman Kurt Kehl will become Monumental's vice president of corporate communications.

Leonsis yesterday posted a "point of clarification" on his personal blog:

At the Washington Capitals, George McPhee continues to report to Dick Patrick. George is our GM and Dick is President of the Capitals. That reporting relationship hasn't changed at all. And at the Washington Wizards, Ernie Grunfeld has and continues to report directly to me. He runs basketball operations and is totally responsible for our team, its players, coaches, scouts, and related activities.

More about the changes to D.C.'s newest sports empire »

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  July 20, 2010; 9:53 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps development camp: Miele lifts White to shootout win
Next: Caps GM McPhee: 'Owners have to have guts'

Comments

King Leonsis!!!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | July 20, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

I'm already tired of seeing Gizzard stories on here. If I wanted info on the Gizzards, I'd follow their beat reporter.

Cordially,
RBlatch

Posted by: rblatch45 | July 20, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Awww...no mentioning of when we are getting our d-man or #2 center. But then again it's just me, what do I know.

Posted by: instinct227 | July 20, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Take all of the Wizards organization to the guillotine and lop their heads off.

Posted by: coolcraig | July 20, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm not sure we'll ever see a quality stay-at-home defender with the Caps, as long as BB remains as coach. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Posted by: C-way | July 20, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

The link takes you to "Capital Buzz: Smartphone war is the talk of Terk Tech"

Posted by: larryn703 | July 20, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

scroll to the bottom of the article to see the leonsis info.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | July 20, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

So Ted has a buffer between him and McPhee but not between himself and Grunfeld...

Posted by: CapsNut | July 20, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I think Grunfeld is pretty much the president of the Wizards right?

Posted by: LloydChristmas | July 20, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

C-way: You might want to watch Schultz and Alzner...

Posted by: redlineblue | July 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse