Chef Ovie to Hit New York

"Try my Borscht!" (John McDonnell -- The Washington Post)

Alex Ovechkin: hockey player, clothing designer, rock god, chef? According to the New York Times -- ignore the cheesy headline, "Cooking Is His Goal," -- the Caps superstar will make his culinary debut in Manhattan's newest Russian restaurant, Mari Vanna, in early September.

... Mari Vanna's management remains unsure if he will adhere to the restaurant's "healthy New Russian" menu or resort to something more simple like pelmeni dumplings.
Either way, the appearance of the Washington Capitals star is likely to attract an unusual mix of blue-collar hockey aficionados and Russian oligarchs.
The arrival of Mr. Ovechkin, and a tentative mid-September gig with actress Milla Jovovich, marks the continuation of a series called "Who's the host?" in which celebrities transform into ad-hoc chefs. The series originated at the original Mari Vanna kitchen in St. Petersburg.

(Thanks to the Bog and Japers' Rink for the tip and some other Caps-centric morning linkage.)

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  August 26, 2009; 9:17 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Olympic Stadium Plan Put on Ice
Next: Dates for Rookie and Training Camp Announced

Comments

Maybe he will make his famous Hot, Hot Hot,
Hockey Stick.

Posted by: whiteltng | August 26, 2009 9:23 AM | Report abuse

From previous thread: I decided to move this forward...Yesterday as the BB at the ballgame thread came to a close someone asked why BB wore # 19.

The answer: BB wore #19 when he played. I checked the link http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=502 If you click on the team name, the ones that provided a number have BB wearing #19 just about every time.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 26, 2009 9:27 AM | Report abuse

ughhhh just focus on hockey ovie

Posted by: gfsportsfan | August 26, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Those are some ugly mockups of the new Bears jerseys on Japers. As a designer (albeit not fashion), they put me off. Their jerseys from last year were great, why change them!

Posted by: thiazzi | August 26, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Oh right, money.

Posted by: thiazzi | August 26, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Ovie can do what he wants...Semin should be in the gym...No excuses!

Posted by: SA-Town | August 26, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone have a link for the anton gustafsson video that's been floating around lately? I saw the article on Japers and the sports Bog, but it looks like they took the video down from youtube.

p.s. ditto thiazzi on the bears new unis

Posted by: superpaqman | August 26, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you thiazzi. The jerseys were pretty sharp. I know that minor league affiliates tend to change but if the Bears were changing their jerseys, why not go with the parent club design?

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 26, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Have Ovi's cooking skills improved? I hope so.

Posted by: pstenigma | August 26, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I don't know how good his cooking skills are but he can put the biscuit in the basket better than anyone else in the NHL the last two years.

Posted by: fanohock1 | August 26, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I know its hot and sticky here, but I'm pretty sure J.P. would object to his service being called a bog. Steinberg's heavy writing style, however, make it perfectly appropriate for him.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | August 26, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Sorry wasn't trying to imply that...

Posted by: superpaqman | August 26, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

If Ovie is cooking, then I'll pass.

If his MOM is going to step up, then that is a horse of a different color.

OVIE, CALL YER MOTHER!

Posted by: WhyGo | August 26, 2009 12:26 PM | Report abuse

I got the impression that he wasn't exactly cooking, but maybe managing the cooking staff? Somehow I get the feeling that his cooking may not be all that great. =P

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | August 26, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Yeah I agree. From what I've heard him say he'd rather eat out OR eat his mom's cooking. I bet he's using some of her recipes.

Posted by: newbiecapsfan07 | August 26, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Milla Jovovic? I guess it is good to be Ovi.

Posted by: zmega | August 26, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

ovie needs to be doing stuff like this, get more attention for hockey and the caps. getting more fans is always a priority for the nhl since they compete with world series and football when they kick off, football all season, nba all season, nba playoffs during hockey playoffs for television spots.

Posted by: breaklance | August 26, 2009 6:34 PM | Report abuse