Cherry rips Ovechkin's goal celebrations

I just got back from today's game in Boston and watched Don Cherry call out Alex Ovechkin for his emotional goal celebrations on Hockey Night in Canada.

Marketing folks believe hockey needs more personalties like Ovechkin. Cherry, and lots of folks in hockey's establishment, think Ovechkin's celebrations are over the top and go against the game's team-first tradition. I'm not sure the debate is going to end anytime soon.

One thing about Cherry -- whether you agree or disagree with him -- you always know where he stands.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  February 28, 2009; 10:17 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 4, Bruins 3 (OT)
Next: Guerin not coming to Washington

Comments

I saw it as well. So let me get this straight: Don Cherry, the most flamboyant, attention-seeking personality in hockey, is calling out Ovechkin for some goal celebrations. Even the intro to his segment has him in his coach's suit, waving his arms to attract attention. What a total hypocrite.

Posted by: pcalver1 | February 28, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

don cherry is senile and has been a joke for the last 10 years.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 28, 2009 10:33 PM | Report abuse

don cherry doesnt like anyone whose not canadian.

Posted by: DER27 | February 28, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

What makes me laugh my ass off is that this has only become such a "bad" thing, now-when wonder boy Crosby, has gone down the toilet. As shown in the video, Ovi has been doing this for years. Before this year, I haven't really heard of anyone complain about his goal celebrations.

Posted by: elicea | February 28, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse

whata freakin joke this guy is? does anyone but morons still listen to anything he says. why do you espn ran him off the air? cause americans have a head on their shoulders and dont wanna listen to some hypocrite - 1 total NHL game plain loser

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

What a load of crap...sounds like jealousy to me. He is just upset Crosby has nothing to celebrate, well except being the highest paid girl in the NHL. At one point I feel like Cherry was threating Ovie's life. What a creepy old dude!

Posted by: NatyBG | February 28, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

senile old bastard

Posted by: yrb1 | February 28, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

i never heard him complain about, fellow canadien and fellow piece of garbage, theo fleury's celebrations

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 10:46 PM | Report abuse

This from the same idiot known for his "wacky" outfits and exuberance. He is no longer truly relevant or engage in the game - if it were up to guys like him teams like the Caps would have moved from Washington. One way or the other, good luck taking a run at him, he's just as big as any "goon".

Posted by: jesstyr | February 28, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

as i like to say, hey don cherry..."jealousy is a stinky cologne"

im out, damn don cherry gettin me all pissed off before heading out on the town

Posted by: _stevo | February 28, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

I have to complement the previous posts: the guy is so completely xenophobic and almost calling for someone to 'cut him in half' is insane and inexcusable. TSN should get this moron off the air. I will be asking for his dismisal (for what its worth (I know...). How can anyone like this idiot be allowed to spew this, frankly, hate. Get back under your aged decrepate rock old man.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Woah, I didn't really finish watching before I commented. But I just watched the whole thing... Did he really just compare what Ovi does to what Avery does?! Someone please tell me I was just imagining that, because.. WOW.

Posted by: elicea | February 28, 2009 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I was listening to the Hershey/Norfolk game tonight and they said Beagle was called up before the game. Anyone know why?

cherry complaining is fine, his basically encouraging people to take a shot at Ovechkin is not. How a guy that wears pink suits can complain about someone else trying to draw attention to themselves is beyond me.

Posted by: overhead | February 28, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry and his disciples are A #1 prime examples of everything that is wrong about hockey today.

Cherry and his disciples would rather see ultimate fighting on ices than goals and players who love to score goals. 99.9% of the time there is nothing wrong with what A.O. does in his celebrations.

Furthermore, he celebrates just as much when his team mates score. Remember Mike Green after Game 1 last year when Lisa Hillary asked him about his celebration? "I was trying to get away from Ovie!" The guy works as hard as anybody to score and deserves to show a little excitement when he does. As long as he doesn't cross the line into taunting, which he does on rare occasion, there's nothing wrong with going off.

Furthermore, Cherry has been saying that somebody is going to get A.O. since he was a rookie. It hasn't happened yet, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Besides, every single one of those celebrations Cherry picked (pun intended) A.O. either scored a spectacular goal, a clutch goal, and/or was off balance when the puck went in. Cherry is a fool and best ignored.

Posted by: CapsNut | February 28, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Definitely sounds like jealousy. Since the Canadian National Treasure that is Crosby has been overshadowed by Ovechkin - and perhaps more significantly - embarrassed himself by his own conduct, it has become necessary for anyone who ever annointed Crosby as "The Next One" to villify Ovechkin.

Posted by: benz9 | February 28, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

Haha what a joke. And if he knew any better, hed realize that this just fuels ovi to do it more. And that crap about how someone is going to "cut him in half". Well that's just not gonna happen considering ovi has been dominating the league for almost 4 years now and he's been doin most of the hitting. This clip half gets me really ticked off and half just makes me laugh at Cherry's stupidity.

Posted by: JSeagull1 | February 28, 2009 10:57 PM | Report abuse

I was really enjoying the video of Ovie's celebrations they were showing while he was talking

Posted by: mimi72555 | February 28, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is a loser, he's not longer relevant so has to find ways to draw attention to himself *hypocrite*

I see no problem with the way Ovie celebrates. it energizes the crowd and his teammates, they can only benefit from that. but calling for his head, is where he should draw the line, NOT COOL.

Posted by: jogabonito | February 28, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the first post. Don Cherry is all about attention. The thrives for it. Personally, I like him, however if Alex Ovechkin is in church sitting on a certain church pew designated for attention seekers, then Don Cherry is sitting right there with him.
This kind of stuff is what is selling today. People watch hockey night in canada to watch Don Cherry talk about something the only way Don Cherry can and people sellout the Verizon Center to watch AO do his thing.

Posted by: rockinthered1 | February 28, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: powerplay | February 28, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

overhead,
There's no transaction on AHL. Although I suppose they could bring him into town without actually adding him to the Caps roster. Or he could be headed to the Island or elsewhere. *tear*

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

So let me get this right Cherry always blast guys for hitting from behind, but its ok for someone to "cut ovechkin in half". This guy is a stupid POS. I used to think his antics were humorous, but his racism towards euros is just plain stupid. He can take his stupid suits and goto the north pole for all im concerned.

Posted by: TJ2008 | February 28, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is the Rush Limbaugh of hockey. Enuf said! :-)

Posted by: dezlboy1 | February 28, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

This guy is a donkey. How can people watch this garbage. What about whining like Crosby, should all the good boys and girls in Canada act like that?

Posted by: hokiedee | February 28, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Look at Don Cherry's outfits and listen to his tirades -- pure irony. His calls for humble, subtle celebrations are a joke considering his outlandish attire and comments. Dude's a huge tool.

As for Billy Guerin to the Caps -- yes, tons of playoff experience, he's a good leader, and shines in the postseason. If a second rounder is the price, yes, take it. BG is a very proven commodity and a second rounder may turn into a grinder or AHL'er.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | February 28, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Comparing Ovechkin to Avery? Cherry is an idiot.

Posted by: turfnsport | February 28, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fnralch | February 28, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

If you don't like Ovechkin's celebrations, there's a simple way to keep him from doing it.

Stop him from scoring.

Good luck with that.

Posted by: tonyw44 | February 28, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Cherry is a joke. All that video is good for is a big laugh. I haven't really followed Cherry much since I lived in Toronto, but even then he was a joke! Blanking out on his name, but even the co-host/anchor looks kind of embarrassed/uncomfortable with Cherry's rant.

Now what I think would be hilarious-- To mock Cherry and Crosby, next time Ov scores....he composes himself perfectly and gives a silent "golf clap" nothing flashy there. And then when he scores next, or teammate scores or team wins...he goes straight back to OV style celebrations of course!!

Posted by: The_Stanley_Caps | February 28, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Of course there's thread bite...

I wouldn't go much more than a 2nd round pick for Guerin, but I really don't think he's coming to us. According to TSN it's probably not Boston, either, though they don't say why. Anyway, he has a NTC though why anyone would want to stay on the island is beyond me.

As for Cherry, I kind of like him in a way. I think he's a hoot for complaining about celebrations wearing the suits he does. But he's fiercely Canadian and tries to pump up their self-image. I don't find anything wrong with that. We had a President that did that (Reagan). Just laugh at him when he's silly, and accept that he knows a lot about hockey. Sometimes the two interfer with eachother.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2009 10:46 PM

-------------

Did Fehr finish the game after his collision with the boards?

I'm not sure about Guerin. The Caps need D. I think GMGM said as much this past week. I don't think we need another forward, unless it's to free up a forward for a later trade.

TSN does say that Morrisonn is available.

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2009 11:10 PM

Posted by: Greg S. | February 28, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Why did it seem like none of those celebrations were from this season? Seemed like all the older jersey.

Posted by: lornemyoung | February 28, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

I love how he comments that Ovie "takes runs at people" Ovie is one of the cleanest hard-hitting guys in the league, fact. On the other hand he'll complain that no one wants to watch that "European" style of hockey that the Wings play. One side of the fence or the other Don...don't hop back and forth when it's convenient.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Bravo, Tarik for at least discussing this - Mirtle is unlikely to raise this since he is Canadian and thinks Grapes should be in the Hockey Hall of Fame, and I should imagine his pal and SB Nation guy Japers will follow his lead, There is still some reason the MSM should exist! For good reason if that silly, stratospheric collar dude Don Cherry is given an audience and he attacks the BEST guy in the WORLD because he can't bear that he might happen to be someone who wasn't born in Canada.

Posted by: plinkwired | February 28, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

I was listening to the Norfolk feed and not the Hershey feed. The Norfolk guys said there was no official transaction yet, but they were told he was called up this afternoon. That was after the game tonight, about 945 or so

Posted by: overhead | February 28, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

Thanks dude...you totally articulated Cherry's ineptness and hypocrisy.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | February 28, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

That 90-second clip is a "greatest hits" of what Cherry is: xenophobe, nationalist, racist (was there a white soccer player shown?), hypocrite, pathetic has-been, wanna-be thug. His rant wasn't about Ovechkin, it's what it's always about: Cherry.
He still can't accept there's more than 6 teams, and that once guys with names like Salming, Larionov and Stastny started to arrive, there's no turning back, and we're all better for it.

Posted by: hokej-je-zivot | February 28, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

I don't really know if I want Bill Guerrin on the Caps. Especially since they are saying he is being traded for a high round draft pick. I hope the Eastern Conference team they are talking about isn't us.

Posted by: graig82 | February 28, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

overhead,
"Guerin possibly to Washington and when Coach woods was asked about Jay Beagle all he would say is that Beagle was unavailable. and that was all he would say

Posted by: powerplay | February 28, 2009 11:00 PM "

God I love the week leading up to deadline day! Every normal transaction whiffs of trades.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | February 28, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

You ppl live in never never land. Cherry says it like it is no other way .If a Canadain kid does something wrong he will call him out ...listen to the piece again this time with a open mind ...wow you ppl sure have a lot to learn about the game of hockey and the culture that goes along with it

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

rockinthered1,

"People watch hockey night in canada to watch Don Cherry talk about something the only way Don Cherry can..."

I'm not so sure people are watching Don Cherry that much these days anyway. I've traveled to Ottawa quite abit lately on business and I can tell you he is not the same hockey icon he was even just a few years ago. This is even coming from the patrons I sat with at the Don Cherry's in Ottawa. Maybe that is why he is up to these sad antics to try and regain the notoriety of years past. Relax Caps Fans, Canadians admittedly do know their hockey and I can attest that Cherry will be seen more as an embarrassment than the voice of old time Canadian hockey for this particular outburst.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

@ral

It's just my opinion, as Cherry certainly has his...and everyone has a right to speak their mind about whatever they want. He just better be prepared to realize when he contradicts himself all the time most people will think he's a moron.

I hope Ovie and all the other Caps who show a little fun after they score or win that part of the reason I pay to go see them is to see their unique way of playing the game and expressing themselves.

I wouldn't pay a dollar to see Crosby play, not that anyone should have to. Most diving competitions are free admission at the local pool.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

In Russia goal celebrate you!

Posted by: theskinnypost | February 28, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Once Don Cherry stops wearing polka dot suits, I will take what he says into consideration

Posted by: MFab12 | February 28, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for your comments Mr. ONE Career NHL Game Played.

Thanks for your comments Mr. Haven't Coached In The League In TWENTY NINE Years.

Who apointed this guy the arbiter of All Things Proper in hockey? And if someone is to have that role, shouldn't it be someone who played in the league for more than one game and who has coached in it more recently than three decades ago?

Put another way, shut-up, old man!

Posted by: mercedeskk | February 28, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

*BLEEP* you, Don Cherry! How 'bout that for calling the kettle black!

Alex, keep the millions coming in and let Don take Hockey Night in Canada to the same place where he bought his clothes (Feilene's Basement.)

Posted by: WCAPS1 | February 28, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

"Rumbles are Washington" Oooooh baby give me good news to wake up to!

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | February 28, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

CBC has ruled out all the other top teams in the East for Guerin, and some of the more-bottom ones like Carolina and Pittsburgh.

Washington was the only team who might try to acquire such a player that wasn't ruled out.

Posted by: writered21 | February 28, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Bill Guerin is a CAP according to Hockey Night in Canada. They are not certain but all other teams got ruled out. And HNIC thinks that he is coming to Washington for a pick. He didn't play today against the Sabres as he was pulled by Managment. I don't know why WE need him.

Posted by: lightshow | March 1, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Doesn't HNIC haveanything better to talk about then goal celebrations. Give me a break.

HNIC just reported that Bill Guerin is rumored to be coming here. Nice move if true. Caps could use that kind of veteran presence.

Posted by: croftonpost | March 1, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Cherry saying that one day Ovechkin will be cut in half by a defenseman is real insightful. Thanks there Nostrodomas. Thats like me saying be careful one day its gonna rain...you just mark my words. This guy is a joke and an embarrasement to all Canadians. The true test of a man is to see not if but when he gets cleaned out does he get up and score like in the past. Russian Machine dont Break

Posted by: BLUELINER34 | March 1, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Guerin might be insurance. Assuming Nylander gets moved (dear hockey gods, grant me this one wish!), that means there are no extra forwards on the roster unless you start calling guys up from Hershey. Having Guerin means not ending up in the Varlamov "ohmigod! Freak injury and our AHL back-ups are in the middle of nowhere Texas!" situation again. I'm not so sure about #80 being able to step in after a long day of web production and play center, ya know? ;)

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 1, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

F him. He'd be hailing him as the 2nd coming if OV was born in Saskatoon rather than Moscow.

Posted by: RicketyCricket | March 1, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Mindsets like Don Cherry's are the reason that the NHL has to continually fight for respect in the world of professional sports. Look no further than how far over to the left that "NHL" appears on the front page of ESPN's website. After Soccer for Lord's sake! If you love hockey, you love the excitement that young guys like Ovie bring to the ice. Period.

Don't get your Depends in a bunch, old man. To survive the NHL needs something new, something different.

Have some more Kraft Dinner and chill out, Don.

Posted by: matthere1 | March 1, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

The question is, if we got Guerin, what did we give up. Some NY bloggers are hoping for a package like Osala and a 2nd. I dont like that and I am nervously awaiting the real story.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | March 1, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Beagle was a healthy scratch tonight; speculation is Nylander, Beagle, and a pick for Guerin.

Posted by: theskinnypost | March 1, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

Guerin isn't worth Nylander AND Beagle AND a pick.

Posted by: RedBirdie | March 1, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

Nyls, JBeags and a pick? He's not worth that much. If that's what it is, that's the best trade ever made by an Islander GM.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

I could live with Nylander, Beagle, and a pick for Guerin. Although I'd prefer to keep Beagle.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

How much is Guerin's cap hit? About the same as Nyls?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Nyls is a healthy scratch at $5 million; freeing up that money for Backstrom and Semin would be huge.

Posted by: theskinnypost | March 1, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, 4.5 per vs Nyls 4.875

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

nyls, beag, and a pick for geurin?

losing beags might be a small price to pay for unloading nyls salary.

should be nyls, 3rd rd for geurin.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

yeah but geurin comes off the books this year, while nyls has another year.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm sort of attached to most of our Bears, so I'm not the best to decide, but I'd rather see Nyls & a pick and no prospect.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

Cherry's getting exactly what he wants out of this because now everyone is talking about HIM and that's what he lives for. Growing up, I used to love him but his schtick is getting old and tired.

Posted by: amberlynne | March 1, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@phil

Yeah I know, we'd have to probably send Beagle along with a pick to unload Nyls salary. Big question is...Nyls has a NTC as well, would he waive it to go to the Isles?

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Somebody get this horse's ass off the air..he praised Ovie in his book up and down..the NHL has an anti Russian bias in its officiating corps(exhibit A is the non call in Game 7 Caps Flyers last year when Huet was checked into the boards allowing JIM DOWD to score) Bettman must tell CBC to eliminate this idiot's job. Cherry has lost his mind and the NHL can't get out of its own way IF they do not get this problem. What a disgrace! Crosby is not the best player in the league by a long shot.

Posted by: jpbeane | March 1, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

@_stevo

Exactly what I was thinking! I recall Theo Fleury sliding halfway down the rink on his knees and being a complete instigator throughout his career. I guess its because he was tiny that he gets, "a free pass." The Russian Machine wears his heart on his sleeve and is finally getting the recognition that he deserves OVER Crosby. The NHL thought Sid the Skid was the more marketable player, probably because he speaks English fluently. The league and the fans have finally come to realize that Ovechkin IS what the league needs... a shot of adrenaline.

Don Cherry is dated. The Old School was amazing, but so was the rotary phone back then. We are a different fan base and different society. Ovechkin is the future of the league. Cherry proves himself a goon, when he suggests that Ovechkin will be taken out. Opponents consistently respect ovechkin and understand his importance to the game.

He isn't a cry baby and he loves to play the game. What's not to love?

Posted by: Beggarsandthieves | March 1, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Anybody who's watched Ovechkin play on a consistent basis would know that he celebrates the same way, whether it's his goal or a teammate on the ice.

Take game one vs Philly last year -- after Mike Green's goal in the 3rd -- OV was the first to tackle and bring him down to the ice...

Oh and last time I checked -- soccer was the most popular sport in the world... great comparison...

Posted by: OV_MVP | March 1, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

"...think Ovechkin's celebrations are over the top and go against the game's team-first tradition"

last time i checked, he celebrates with the same amount of excitement for EVERY goal the caps score, regardless of whether he scores it or not. which seems to uphold "the game's team-first tradition"... right?

Posted by: kellobellow | March 1, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is basically a BIGOT........He hates Europeans. Absolutely hates them. Plus he was the guy who said Ovechkin wouldn't be able to be successful like he was last year, that the league would catch up with him. Show much how much Cherry knows. What a blowhard.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 1, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry=Hockey's Bill O'Reilly

Posted by: dcfury | March 1, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

Cherry was basically suggesting that somebody should take Ovechkin out. The buzz he created with those words will very likely encourage some player to give it their best shot at some point. He essentially condoned it and made it sound like something that needs to be done.

Even if most people disagree with Cherry's viewpoint, there will also certainly be a group that agrees and some goon will try to endear himself to that group. The only question is whether anybody can actually take Ovechkin out. If he was able to return to the game after crashing into the boards the way he did in Boston, it's going to take something otherwordly to do any real damage.

Posted by: tmac2yao | March 1, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

are there any links for this Guerin talk?

Posted by: Beggarsandthieves | March 1, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

just a quick observation-
cherry says that ovi's celebrations go against the game's "team first" tradition. funny, 'cause ovi celebrates just as much for a teammate's goal as he does for his own- the camera just (obviously) doesn't pan to him for other teammates' goals. i haven't heard a lot about cherry, but from what i have, he seems like not the brightest crayon in the box

Posted by: jess4caps | March 1, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: elicea | March 1, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/ has a lot of the Guerin talk

Posted by: theskinnypost | March 1, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

His latest update claims either NJ or Montreal. Intriguing

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 1, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Seriously - coming from a guy rocking that suit? I think Ovechkin should make a run at Cherry and see if his fat butt can put his money where his mouth is. Ovechkin can handle himself. And let this unnammed Cherry Disciple take a cheap shot and they can deal with Mr. Brashear. Mr. Erskine et al. Screw those xenophobic Canadians. LETS GO CAPITALS!

Posted by: mjwies11 | March 1, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry thinks that the only good hockey players are Canadian.
He is nothing but a big mouth.

Posted by: jmy999 | March 1, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

I've been a supporter of Nylander all along; I thought the Caps needed the veteran presence at center, and I like teams that have three lines that can score.

But it's become clear that he's not working out. He's a defensive liability and it appears that he's pretty much played his way out of the line-up. Plus Fedorov looks healthy, and Steckel seems capable of centering the third line even if that means giving up some offense.

So - here's where we are. We do NOT know whether Nylander has agreed to waive his no trade clause. If he has, at this point, a team that agrees to TAKE him would be DOING THE CAPS A HUGE FAVOR. For a team to do that favor, they're going to want something in return. That something will be a draft pick and a prospect.

It's up to McPhee to make the draft pick as late as possible, and the prospect as 'unpromising' as possible. If he can keep it to a third-rounder + Jay Beagle + Nylander (and his contract) to the Islanders for Guerin, I'd say that's a steal. If the pick is a second-rounder, I'd still do the deal and call it even. If the pick is a first-rounder, I would not do the deal.

As for the young player, well, I'm sure we all love Jay Beagle's tenacity. But let's be honest -- he is not one of the top centers in the organization. But he might be able to play in Long Island right now, and if so I'd say good for him. But if the Islanders were to push for Gustafsson or Perreault instead, then I'd say deal's off.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | March 1, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

He's probably the type that only likes a band before they're popular. Once they move beyond the club to play in a stadium, they've sold out and aren't worth listening to. He'll fondly remember and cling to their garage band days. I wouldn't be surprised if to him, hockey isn't hockey unless it's the fourth or fifth most popular sport in every American market. He probably believes that if it takes an Ovie making an amazing goal and celebrating it afterward to attract a new fan to hockey, than hockey isn't worth watching any more. He'll watch classic NHL and the days of Gretzky, Lemieux and...MacTavish, or something like that.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | March 1, 2009 1:01 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 1, 2009 12:10 AM

he could be if he's willing to stand in front of the goalie and be a target

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 1, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

don cherry = keith olbermann....both are clown and has really lost touch with reality

Posted by: _stevo | March 1, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

@jmu

come on...to get ride on nyls is worth it alone. i liked beagle but still to be able to dump nylander salary would be worth a 4th round pick or a punhc in don cherry's faked tanned face

Posted by: _stevo | March 1, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

OMFG. I couldn't stop reading peoples posts before I had to comment. That stupid old man has the audacity to call out Ovi for celebrating a f*cking goal? Does he not see his own outfits before he steps out of his house? Ovi's need for attention is basically people getting pi$$y about him scoring goals. Like it's been said before, you want Ovi to stop? Stop him from scoring, you stupid SOB. Hey Cherry. You're so out of touch with reality. Try less bronzer on your face. Seems to have seaped into your peanut-size brain!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 1, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

What's funny is most of those clips were from his first couple of seasons.

Cherry is an idiot. He even flat out spelled it out, he's sticking up for his boring, lying, whiny gutless Canadian boy Crosby.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | March 1, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Are you kidding me? Hey, Cherry, Crosby s*cks! He's a ball-slapper, dude. A BALL-SLAPPER. Did you not see him smack someone in the nads while his teammate was socking him up in front? The nads, Don Cherry! That's what hockey is about? Back up the loser, Don Cherry. It's what we'd expect from a racist like yourself.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 1, 2009 1:24 AM | Report abuse

I see no way the Caps would make a trade for Guerin involving Nylander and Beagle and a pick. He's 38 years old and UFA. They'd get a prospect OR a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 1, 2009 1:28 AM | Report abuse

I think this gut needs to apologize and retire, if this was a American brodcast or an international one there would be no way anybody would put up that type of on-air comments

Posted by: tigger_caps_fan | March 1, 2009 1:31 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is the biggest POS there ever was in Canadian broadcasting...I mean Canada struggles to make it at anything so he has to protect Crosby, who is a nut punching, cheap shotting, fights only when the other guy doesnt know its happening d-bag, and criticize OV with videos from his first 2 years in the league mostly, call him a cheap shotter, and not call out Crosby for doing the same celebrations...WHAT A F-IN D-DAG

Posted by: bryan579 | March 1, 2009 1:39 AM | Report abuse

There had better be an apology for this, I think Ted who has a bigger horn than all of needs to call him out, fast and loud. To call for a run on ANY player because he's not Canadian and shows emotion.

I want to write a disposition on how wrong he is right now but I feel like the WaPo censors would take out about 20% because this is a family paper. All I can say is I hope he's apologizing tomorrow morning

Posted by: moondue8 | March 1, 2009 1:46 AM | Report abuse

i wouldnt mind getting haplern back, he is on the trading block, i would love a true hometown fella back in dc

plus he lives down the street from my parents

don cherry sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: _stevo | March 1, 2009 1:51 AM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup190:

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | February 28, 2009 11:32 PM

The only culture we're concerned of, StanleyCup1907, is the culture of scoring goals and winning. We have a player who is as excited about his own success as the success of his own teammates and you appear to like Mr. Cherry's racist rant. Kudos to you and whatever idiot feels the same way as Mr. Cherry. Again, in order to keep Ovi from doing his celebrations is stop him from scoring. Simple enough, StanleyCup1907. Simple enough, Mr. Cherry. Simple enough, Cindy. Okay, I'm done. Mr. Cherry and Cindy can go back to their ball-slapping.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 1, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey everyone, lighten up. Who cares what Don Cherry says? I don't and other than his outlandish wardrobe, the only way he can get attention is to say something this stupid and off the wall. A desperate plea for attention that is working on this blog, for sure. Not worth the time and effort that I just wasted.

Posted by: _Mark | March 1, 2009 1:52 AM | Report abuse

I was checking up on Tedstake.com to see if he said anything about Cherry's "Foot in mouth" disease (not yet).

A few days ago I mentioned that there was a video of the Caps at the Childrens Hospital. There was a piece that had Ovie playing on a Wii with Semin looking on. Ovie was doing some moves with his hands and then started playing bongos. Semin started cracking up. There's an intern leaving and Ted had a link to her site. There's the video

Posted by: Greg S. | March 1, 2009 2:00 AM | Report abuse

don cherry is a spastic, bigoted, right-wing freak and is a disgrace to Canada.

He, essentially, is no more than a model of formal attire for rodeo clowns, and his opinions are worth less than the toilet paper they are wiped on.

This is, no doubt, another manifestation of his notorious and well documented hatred of Russians.

Posted by: large23220 | March 1, 2009 2:05 AM | Report abuse

I wish somebody would get don cherry "and get him good. Some big defenseman waiting in the weeds." Or anybody else willing to shut that stupid racist face of his.

Posted by: large23220 | March 1, 2009 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Links talking about Guerin trade:

www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/UPDATED-825-Guerin-Trade-LikelyWashington-e4-Buff-e3-Mont-e2/1/19688

www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/Guerin-Headed-To-EastNot-Washingotn/5/19696

Oh, and Pronger to Boston may already be done, but Caps in the hunt:

www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jesse-Connolly/Brian-Burke-in-Town-for-Bs-Caps-While-Pronger-Rumors-Heat-Up/116/19695

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 1, 2009 2:11 AM | Report abuse

Links talking about Guerin trade:

Oh, and Pronger to Boston may already be done, but Caps in the hunt:

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 1, 2009 2:14 AM | Report abuse

I wrote a complaint to the CBC about Mr. Cherry. I think that pucker needs to apologize for his statements and the video before was just completely racist. How could he not notice all the non-white soccer players displayed in the video and his mouth running off with all his venemous spew.

Where was Mr. Cherry and his opinions when Crosby was sucker punching a guy in the nads? Busy trying to find a fuglee tie to match his fuglee suit, I bet? Conveniently, didn't see it?

I'd recommend we let the CBC know what we think about Mr. Cherry's comments. Find their website everyone and send them a message or two about the offensive things Mr. Cherry said. It's irresponsible for them to allow him to say the things he did without realizing how ignorant he comes off and how it reflects on them.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 1, 2009 2:15 AM | Report abuse

heres the thing..after ovechkin retires and beyond, he will do/have already done far more for the sport than don cherry can ever dream of.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 2:16 AM | Report abuse

this is coming from the guy who doesnt really like some of ovechkins celebrations.

don cherry is an idiot.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Cap numbers for all NHL teams (click on team name to get individual player numbers):

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 1, 2009 2:21 AM | Report abuse

This is bad, but if you watch the whole thing he makes fun of Russians and their names earlier in the thing.

Posted by: moondue8 | March 1, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik where are ya buddy? There's no sleeping going on now. We're within 3 days of the trading deadline and we need 24x7 coverage. What are you hearing about Guerin? I'd much rather have Pronger and Backstrom but Guerin is an upgrade since Clark went down.

Oh yeah BTW folks, for those of you stating Nylander, Beagle and a pick are you serious? GMGM would be fired after he signed the trade agreement if not before. Guerin is a rental and will get a couple late picks and MAYBE a mid tier player in the minors at best. How much would you give up for a 38yr old with 16 goals for 15 games + playoffs? Granted Nylander would be a gift for salary reasons but he's not going in this deal, another maybe but not this one.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 1, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

although i would like to see nyls go, i really doubt it sense we havent heard anything about him waivering his NTC. Geurin, on the other hand, has.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 1, 2009 2:33 AM | Report abuse

Just a quick point: a trade for Guerin could be part of a couple or several moves the Caps may make leading up to the deadline. So, it's hard to look at things in context without seeing what else may come to pass. Veteran leadership and playoff experience are invaluable, especially with our (still) young team. Guerin is a UFA at season's end, and we have depth in the minors to be used as trade bait, so it wouldn't be a bad move.

So, let's remember how surprised we all were last trade deadline when McPhee pulled the trigger on the Feds/Huet deals and judge his moves/non-moves come this Thursday.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | March 1, 2009 2:39 AM | Report abuse

In order for the Caps to be able to fit Guerin under the salary cap they would have to move Nylander.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | March 1, 2009 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Ok folks lets put aside the anger and look at this as a legal issue. I think Ted and George should alert or seriously consider suing NHL for allowing someone on its network to make such an incendiary comments and almost demanding that someone hurts our franchise player. It is a direct threat anybody should take seriously and the guy might not be working for NHL Network but through its partnership with CBC, NHL is providing an avenue for him to spew his hate. And quite frankly the league is liable for any deliberate harm any player perpetrates to Alex Ovechkin on the ice.

Ted if someone is going to mess with your 130 million investment then i think it's time for you to take bold pre-emptive measures for its security.

Posted by: PlzGodCome | March 1, 2009 2:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: hsk8er6 | March 1, 2009 2:57 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is awesome....OV is good...thats all I need to say

Posted by: wgassert | March 1, 2009 3:27 AM | Report abuse

The fact that he threw a 23-year-old (don't care how amazing said youngster is) in a group with proven, accomplished veterans was enough for me to write him off as a babbling lunatic.

Posted by: ccd3m | March 1, 2009 3:40 AM | Report abuse

This is, quite obviously, a guy trying to get attention. His methods are ironic, to say the least.

This is also xenophobia -- and so obviously so that it's comic. "Everybody's picking on Crosby." "This is the Canadian way." This is the logical result of a non-Canadian outshining the great Canadian hope.

Finally, and most importantly, this is also stupid from the standpoint of hockey, in this economy, not even having its playoffs on ESPN (or a network). By all means, now is the time to tell the most marketable player in hockey to "tone it down."

If Bettman and the NHL have any acumen whatsoever they will lampoon this nonsense and tell Alex to turn it up.

This is NOT the way that NHL commentary should go. From any standpoint. And let it be noted that there ARE limits. Alex' "celebrations" are spontaneous and appropriate.

This is really SO pathetic, It is imperative that players, coaches, and NHL management need to quash this self-destructive, unwarranted, and inane sentiment. Now. Starting with Federov and, yes, Malkin (if he has the cajones).

Apologies if all of this was covered above (and I certainly hope it was.)

Posted by: kjm1971 | March 1, 2009 4:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: austinsteve | March 1, 2009 4:35 AM | Report abuse

I wonder what Don would be saying if Ovie played for the Canadiens?

Posted by: welcome2theiceage | March 1, 2009 4:48 AM | Report abuse

@welcome2theiceage:
He would be unable to speak as much due to having Ovie's man parts in his mouth.

Personally I think Cherry is out of line on this one. He always talks about those wholesome "canadian" boys and how they should act, but totally ignores Crosby jumping guys at the faceoff circle or punching guys in the groin? He is such a Xenophobe.

I personally love his celebrations and for that matter any celebration by a professional athlete. They are the top of their sport in the world and should be happy to score. I understand they need to be role models, but since when is being happy about winning bad sportsmanship? Its not like Ovie or the footballers are taunting the other team, they are just expressing emotion.

But to put Ovie in the same sentence as Avery is just disgusting.

Posted by: trunkenmath | March 1, 2009 5:20 AM | Report abuse

Don't forget Cherry loved OV and I'm guessing that OV's amazing goal against the beloved Canadians and the wrath that "Cindy" took this past week made Cherry come out and say something bad about OV. Cindy has been getting critisized more and more lately and OV has been praised more and more so Cherry had to open his blow hole and try to take some Hart votes away from OV. No matter, we know who the better player is and who will bring their team more Cups in the long run. I just hope on OV's day with the Cup he takes it to Canada and has his picture taken with Cherry!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 1, 2009 5:33 AM | Report abuse

@metalcapfan
I couldn't have said it better myself, "Pronger is the greater concern at this point. He's coming East, and if he's not Rockin' the Red, then we'll likely have to face him somewhere down the line. If for no other reason that to keep him off the roster of BOS/NJ/PHL, the Caps need to bring him in. Do we want to face BOS with Chara AND Pronger in the Conference Finals? I think not."

If he weren't coming East I don't think we'd have to make a move. I think we could and would beat anybody in the East with maybe the exception of Philly if all rosters stayed the same as today but like you said Pronger is coming East and whoever he goes to, in my mind would now have the upper edge in the East. He's a hellova Dman and he's a proven winner. He's the kind of "nasty force" we haven't seen here in a while. We CAN win this thing THIS YEAR with just a couple pieces added.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 1, 2009 5:40 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is a xenophobic old goat who is completely out of touch with the modern game and wants it to go back to the good ol' days when the league was dominated by Canadian born brutes.

His anti-Ovechkin rants are ridiculous because Ovechkin plays the type of game Don supposedly loves. The only reason Don can't stand Ovie is because he's Russian. The ironic thing is that he plays like the best Canadian power forward to ever lace up a pair.

Ovechkin's hits are clean. That's why he doesn't get penalized for them. As far as getting his bell rung people try in every game and usually end up on their can because Ovechkin is probably the best hitter in the game today when in possession of the puck and is incredibly aware. Don is a hypocritical buffoon who always whines about "soft" Europeans on one hand (like his idiotic anti-Red Wings rant today), then turns around and criticizes Ovechkin for being too physical. It's a joke.

As for goal celebrations, once again Don is hypocritical. For someone who dressed like him to criticize Ovie for being too demonstrative is a joke. Everyone who agrees with Don, you must be really boring people. Thank god there's a player in the game that has such passion for it and celebrates in style. It would be great for the NHL if there were 20-30 more Ovechkins in the league instead of everyone being a politically correct, corporate square like Crosby.

Also, I guarantee you that had Crosby been Russian Don would despise him for being a soft whiner and had Ovechkin been Canadian Don would be his biggest fan and you'd never hear the end of his praise for him.

Let's be honest. Don is simply a xenophobic, outdated, racist pig. His opinions are not informative and he doesn't know crap about the game. He used to coach when dinosaurs walked the earth and he still thinks like one.

Just like Don can't wait for the day Ovechkin gets run over I can't wait for the day that this old idiot has a heart attack so that his stupid mug would no longer be on my TV and so that I don't have to listen to his asinine comments. Don is not an icon, but a cancer who keeps spreading ethnic hate to the young generation. If there were a Russian hockey pundit who said this kind of garbage about Canadian players he sure wouldn't be revered as an icon.

Posted by: ranndino | March 1, 2009 6:42 AM | Report abuse

BTW, I'm very happy to see that 95% of comments under Don's rant on the Coach's Corner website have the same opinion of this garbage as I do. And these are mostly from Canadians.

It's unbelievable that Don still has a job and can spout his hateful nonsense on Canadian national TV. Had he said anything even remotely close to this about black players he'd be fired during the first commercial break.

I truly hope that the one that gets broken in half is Don Cherry when he gets hit by a bus. The man is a pile of human waste and has absolutely nothing of interest to contribute as a hockey pundit. He's the Canadian equivalent of a Nazi.

Posted by: ranndino | March 1, 2009 6:48 AM | Report abuse

don cherry,why dont you go and suck a fart out of my arss!dont hate cause he's so great!

Posted by: gratefuldid | March 1, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I love Don Cherry, I've met the man, and I think the reason he's so upset is because he knows Ovechkin can back up his celebration. I'm going to sound like an apologist here, but I'm sure the producers and Ron MacLean put him up to doing this bit. Notice, the only goals they showed were from Ovie's rookie year and the big goals that he's scored. I can't recall Ovie going crazy after a regular goal this season unless it was something big. If HNIC was really honest, they would have shown why Ovie is the best player in the world right now, ironically, because he plays they way that Don tells Canadian kids to play. But CBC is fighting for relevance so they have to "stir the pot" and Don is a willing patsy. Too bad.

Posted by: r4e11 | March 1, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Ovie should dress up like Don after winning a game just to mock the old codger (anybody got a really ugly and colorful suit?). Maybe he could say to reporters in the room "in homage to my hero Don Cherry, Russian machine never break, even in really ugly suit that you can see from a mile" THAT would be funny, and well appreciated around the league.

Posted by: hype1 | March 1, 2009 7:48 AM | Report abuse

Cherry is such an idiot. Those soccer players are not showing up the other team, they're riling up the fans and celebrating with their teammates, what the heck is so wrong about that? And if he didn't know, his God Sidney Crosby did the same celebration as Ovie did in Philly, oh yeah, that's cause he's Canadien. Haha, yeah Ovie is going to be cut in half by a defenseman one day, yeah I wanna see them try. Ovechkin's celebrations are harmless and if someone tried to hurt him they'd get a suspension. The opponent's guys on the ice when Ovie scores don't even give a crap about the way he celebrates. I mean, afterall, Ovie's celebrations don't get unportsmanlike conduct like in football, so why the heck is this a problem? But bottom line is that Cherry's comments don't mean a thing, I hope Ovie takes his celebrations to another level, just to tick off Cherry. I mean, I LOVE his celebrations, they bring a smile to my face and makes me love him more than I already do. Cherry is just an old bitter man that doesn't know what fun means anymore.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

He should be fired for saying someone should kill Ovie. What a shameful, disgusting, disgraceful, vile human being Cherry is.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Mr cherry, one of these days, walking across a street, someone who thinks you should shut your fat mouth and wear a real suit like a real man is gonna drive over your lame old butt...oops!

Posted by: soloman5000 | March 1, 2009 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Funny thing -- I was watching a 24-year old rerun of Don Cherry's "Grapevine" show on the NHL network last night prior to the Hockey Night in Canada broadcast. He nicely teased Chris Nilan, now long since retired, for his exhuberant celebrations after goals, which were not much different than Ovechkin's. Cherry is legend, but he's become a cranky old man.

Posted by: bucknelldad | March 1, 2009 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Can someone say OUT OF TOUCH!?

Was this before or after he called out Detroit for being a crap team for playing "European style Hockey" This man used to actually mean something, He is now relegated to a sideshow act, a national Canadien JOKE if you will. He is like that crazy aunt that no one wants to come to thanksgiving.

Give it up Don you are no longer relevant, your NHL filled with nothing but North Americans was costing us fans, this is the new NHL so please just hang up the lime green suites, put away the crack pipe and call it a day.

Posted by: Dizzy1205 | March 1, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

NEW RULE: Any post that quotes Don Cherry on any subject must also carry the following statement of fact: "Don Cherry is, of course, a buffoon."

Posted by: basingstoke | March 1, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

New Name for "Coach's Corner": "Sour Grapes" (pun intended)

Posted by: basingstoke | March 1, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Well, Don Cherry is a dinosaur from Jurassic Park era and he doesnt understand todays game. There are soccer player, NFL, NBA players from Jurassic Park Age who thinks the same like Don, but the game CHANGED and they didn't.
Who cares about his Stanley Cup rings, when he shows no respect for other sports and fans live on TV? Fedorov and Caps Team along with fans agree that such antics energizes them and Fedorov has Stanley Cup rings as well and he plays today and understands todays game, just like fans - its marketing.

What is so bad about being electrifying? I GUARANTEE Don Cherry doesnt know what this word means - cuz he thinks hockey is about boring "poker faces" all the way and NO PERSONALITY. He should bash MALKIN and NFL superstars dancing after a touchdown next - maybe he will get a little attention for being an idiot life on TV.

Posted by: Hazz | March 1, 2009 8:21 AM | Report abuse

What a hypocrite. I guess the Canadian way is to dress up like a clown cry like a baby because his little boy wonder is taking a beat down.

Posted by: Rlewis38812 | March 1, 2009 8:26 AM | Report abuse

Cherry is out of his mind. Check out this video of the top 10 goal celabrations.

Posted by: luvdcaps | March 1, 2009 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Ovie has been celebrating goals since he came into the league. But,it is only now that Cherry has a problem with it? What did the memo come out that Crosby has to remain the #1 star so we need start to disparage others because Crosby isn't having a great year. Keep showing your xenophobic views, Don. I rather watch the Caps with their Russian, Canadian, American, Swedish, Czech, and Slovakian ways, that is, a team.

Posted by: NovaCath | March 1, 2009 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Before we get all fired up....Look at the blog comments below this article. I think Cherry is not gonna get much love from the hockey community on this one.

Let the crusty old man have his say. I think about 99% of hockey fans will tell him to get lost on this point.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 1, 2009 8:43 AM | Report abuse

What's appalling about this moron is that he makes these statements under the guise of giving moral instruction to Canadian youth. So here's the logic on this one: don't ever celebrate goals; and if you see someone who does, then go ahead and try to injure him. What a great moral thinker.

Posted by: puff1 | March 1, 2009 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Don cherry should show the kids in Canada how Sidney Crosby jumps a guy from behind that is already fight another played and punches him in the rear end! How about how Crosby stops his skates on the bench floor when he is upset. Lets show the kids how to act like babies and un sportsman like. Cherry should be put the closet along with those suits he wears!

Posted by: mxhockeyrich | March 1, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Luvdcaps: great video. Those celebrations are more over the top than Ovie's. I love that last one of Team Zian, every team should do that! I would love seeing the entire Caps team do that, that would be a great sight. :)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 8:52 AM | Report abuse

don cherry knows the first rule of being on tv. be controvercial and mention a big name like ovechkin. it will get attention like what we have granted him today. i think the "canadian way" would also include playing hard, taking the body, play through pain and being a leader. everything ovie does and cindy doesnt.

i also noticed in that montage of ovie goals a few things. one, i think one of them was from his first NHL goal (probably should have just skated to the face off dot quietly) and many are OT game winners. again, just go to the dressing room quietly. i seem to recall an OT game winning goal by stevey y. where he was jumping around like a kid on christmas. how about cindy jumping into the glass last week. gretzky was known to do a dance or two after a goal.

cherry is a joke.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 1, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

This is coming from someone who dresses like a clown. Mr. Cherry, check out the celebration Ovechkin does when the CAPS win the Stanley Cup.

Posted by: noreaster1 | March 1, 2009 8:59 AM | Report abuse

He also went on a loooong rant on how "European" hockey is boring. Well, there was a large picture of Crosby behind him. Made me realize that Cherry and Crosby have one thing in common. Someone, please guess what it is.

Posted by: washingtonpost31 | March 1, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Thanks Don! I hope OV scores 5 goals today so he can stick all five celebrations up your a$$.

Posted by: meagle | March 1, 2009 9:06 AM | Report abuse

I want Ovie to jump up and down and slam his body into the glass and skate a full circle around Verizon ice today, just to tick Cherry off. I mean, what's he gonna do about it? Cherry's got nothing on Ovechkin. Also, TJ2008, I completely agree with you. Cherry thinks Ovie's celebrations are not okay, but he thinks it's alright for a defenseman to cut him in half, figure it out.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is a dildo. Always has been. Eff him.

Posted by: OviToSemin | March 1, 2009 9:18 AM | Report abuse

You know, at the risk of being anticlimactic, I think we've given Grapes all the attention his racist comments deserve. Let's talk Florida. New Jersey is still breathing down our necks, with a game in hand on us, and right now will win tiebreakers. We need to win today and we need for them to lose today - as much as I despise rooting for Philly, I hope the Flyers stomp them.

I don't think this one will be a cakewalk, though - both teams are coming off back-to-backs, and we tend to take sloppy/lazy penalties when we're tired, so we really have to watch out for that. If we give up 7-8 penalties a game, we'll get killed. I still think we need to see what Neuvirth can do against a team like Florida, but I also want to win this one bad.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 1, 2009 9:19 AM | Report abuse

While I do think Ovie is getting a lil more excitable and let's say full of himself. But HELLO he is 23 and the best thing out there. There is nothing wrong with that as long as he isn't hurting anyone. To compare Ovie to Sean Avery is RIDICULOUS. There is a difference between getting in someone's face and insulting them and celebrating a goal. Also, Sidney Crosby is a hypocrite because last season he started throwing himself into the glass to celebrate goals.I just take it all with a grain of salt. Cherry is a pompous old goat but he is entitled to his opinion. He just should be ready to defend himself in a real argument when it isn't just him talking to a video camera

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 1, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I agree with kittypawz, let's stop giving him what he wants, which is our attention. It's time to focus on what really matters, which is the Capitals.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 1, 2009 9:22 AM | Report abuse

really hope that Don "older than" -Grapes- Cherry isn't putting Ovechkin in any of his best of video series and profiteering from him also...just more hypocrisy.

Referring to: Don Cherry's Rock'em Sock'em videos

Posted by: caps28fan | March 1, 2009 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Lots of rumors about Bill Guerin coming to the Caps.

I am guessing that if the Islanders pulled him last night, the trade might be announced today.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 1, 2009 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Lots of jealous people this year on the best player in the world.

If I'm on a team playing against Ovie I would be more worried that Ovie "takes out" someone on my team not the other way around. Google/Youtube Ovechkin and hits.

Posted by: rockbroker | March 1, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

@ fnralch: great link. Thx for sharing.

On Bill Guerin: (please note that these thoughts came to me in the wee hours when caring for a 17 month old with the latest virus): GMGM talked Nyls into waiving the No Movement Clause for a return to New York to be a factor as opposed to a scratch.

Then GMGM talked to Feds. Asked how he would like to shore up the blue line, letting Guerin take his spot on the 2nd line. Feds, thirsting for another sip from the Cup agreed. Suggested that GMGM sign him for another year, as well, at a lower salary since Feds is getting older, but enjoys playing with this group.

This would definitely preclude the Caps from getting Pronger, who would be my first choice for an addition to the team.

Posted by: crooks_c | March 1, 2009 9:40 AM | Report abuse

As a hockey fan since 1957 who has always had a special place in my heart for Canadian players, I must say that Cherry has long been an embarassment to the NHL. He is loud mouth who normally dresses like a circus clown. Kinda like the World Wrestling Federation types. The NHL and Canadians shows their best face with sophisticated, mature commentators like Bill Clement, but they debase their product and reputation when they pay attention to mediocre bloviators like Cherry. If you wish to expand the fan base of this wonderful game, put your best face forward, not your worst!!

Posted by: bardo2 | March 1, 2009 9:42 AM | Report abuse

Who listens to or cares what Don Cherry says. The guy hasn't left the 70's yet.

Posted by: 4capitals | March 1, 2009 9:43 AM | Report abuse

He just likes Cindy more is all -- this is simply another Semin quote, and we shouldn't get all riled about it.

Besides, if Crosby scored more goals, he'd probably feel the other way -- "Why don't our young Canadiens show some PRIDE in their efforts! Jump up and down, spin around, and take the cows to town, Cind--I mean, Sidney!"

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | March 1, 2009 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Cherry is a typical Canadian Neanderthal. He wouldn't understand anything less than a smack upside his head.

The underlying issue here, however, is Ovechkin has taken Crosby's premature legacy as the best player in the world. Send Sydney some Prep H and Vagisil ... it'll be OK.

Posted by: VirginiaLonghorn | March 1, 2009 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Envy makes the fool as this man is clearly out of touch with today's game!!!

Jimmy

Posted by: jv_cfpllc | March 1, 2009 10:07 AM | Report abuse

So this guys is advocating someone taking a cheap shot at the best player in the world. Real good for the game. I love his tring to create an association with Avery. Thats' very Michael Moore of him... Taking 2 completely unreleated issues and drawing a direct correlation between the two. Grasping. Did anyone see Cindy jump into the glass after scoring last week? Now he's not as good and imitating OV. They say impersonation is the highest form of complement

Posted by: powlover | March 1, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Lighten up people... Don Cherry is a personality. I love the guy, but then again I don't take everything he says literally.

He is not on the air because of his wit, mastery of language or looks. He likes to stir it up. I think OV can go a bit overboard with the celebrating, if he was tuning in our team we wouldn't like it either.

Posted by: FLDave | March 1, 2009 10:19 AM | Report abuse

With Cherry, its xenophobia, plain and simple. There's a difference between playing the game with unbridled joy and being a showboat. Ovechkin simply LOVES to play the game.

Guerin for Nyls and Beagle and a pick? Sounds good to me. Think Guerin could be the guy on the 2nd unit of PP that camps in front of the crease. A vet presence doesn't hurt either. Anything to get Nyls outta here (like a clarinet player in a rock band - he just doesn't fit here) I'm in favor of.

Still would like to see another D with crease clearing quality. Teams rich with power forwards (read - Philadelphia) are bad matchups for the current D group.

Posted by: rnscaps | March 1, 2009 10:22 AM | Report abuse

You don't pull on Superman's cape. You don't spit into the wind. You don't pull,the mask off the old Lone Ranger and you don't mess around with Ovechkin.

Posted by: tommy11599 | March 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Cherry is very entertaining, I think many are taking him a bit to seriously, he is more of a sideshow. I am hearing it's just Beagle and a 2nd rounder for Guerin, but we should find out for sure today.

Posted by: simon17 | March 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Let me see if I have this straight...

That attention wh*** called somebody ELSE out for flamboyancy???

Yes, you know where Don Cherry stands... on a ledge!!! Jump, you crazy old coot!!!!

Posted by: clb_in_md | March 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry, have you seen Ovechkin hit? If a defensemen tried to hit OV when he comes across the middle I think we all know OV would get the best of it. When people try to hit OV, even when he's stationary, they are going down.

Posted by: Ov8fan11 | March 1, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Hey - how bout we get a "Cherry SUCKS" chant going at the game today?

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 1, 2009 10:29 AM | Report abuse

So, not only is he advocating that some defenseman should cut Ovie in half because Ovie loves the game. He also has the balls to compare Ovie to Sean Avery? If anything Don, you should be comparing yourself to Avery, you also seem to have a tendency to spout offensive and idiotic crap just to get attention and to hear yourself talk. I don't believe Ovie ever says anything like that. Unless you think that time when he was sticking up for Jerome Iginla as offensive. As a soccer player and a european as well, I am extremely offended by him basically saying that we're all idiots and monkeys with no discipline just because we are happy when we score a goal. Have you ever played soccer, Don? Do you know how tough the games can be sometimes and if you love the game, when you score a goal, you're going to be happy and want to celebrate. Its a tough sport with a lot of emotion, just like hockey is, and the players generally play with a lot of passion like Ovechkin does. The time after a goal is scored is meant for a celebration, the fans are cheering, the players all rush together to celebrate, its an emotional and important part of the game. Its part of our game, the majority of the fans enjoy it, so Don Cherry, leave it alone because you don't understand it. The game of hockey is changing from the time when Don Cherry was a kid and he probably just feels threatened by it because he doesn't understand this new NHL. I see plenty of Canadian born players doing some sort of goal celebration after they score, so its not like Canadians don't do it. Cherry just can't comprehend the changes, so instead of trying to learn a bout the new game, he just wants to bash it. Or maybe he just doesn't like players with passion, who play the game because they love it. Last I checked though, being a whiny baby wasn't very old time hockey either. Should players just all be emotionless robots during games and then just whine to the media about how everyone cheated during the post game interviews Don?

Posted by: jonsnoek | March 1, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! I will be watching the game on tv from Denver. I will be laughing out loud if that comes through

Posted by: powlover | March 1, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Cherry just trys to get fans going...........he called out french canadians who wore visors....he chastized sid crosby...and now ov thats the way he is..........and it worked...at least ov is getting air play in Canada

Posted by: wendel2 | March 1, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Garrioch at the Ottawa Sun (via Spector) is now saying the Caps are at the top of the list for the Wild's Nicklas Backstrom. Now THAT's a crazy rumor...

Posted by: m4ilm4n | March 1, 2009 10:37 AM | Report abuse

The best defenseman on any team is the GOALIE. We could stand pat with what we have at goalie, but it is not at all a bad move to get a goalie at the last minute. I can't remember if GMGM has ever done that before, of if he did, I can't recall if it helped us or not.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Cherry is obviously an idiot, but what's especially unfair and just plain ignorant is the claim (repeated around various boards) that OV celebrate every goal equally. In fact, his celebrations (of his own or teammates' goals) are always situation-appropriate: the most exuberant celebrations in the footage beyond Cherry were (both from his opening season): 1) his game-tying goal with one minute left against Tampa Bay; 2) his OT winner (and first hat-trick) against Anaheim. When he scores a meaningless goal in an already-decided game, his celebrations are far more subdued--and he gets far more excited when his teammate score a meaningful goal (cf his tacklng of Mike Green for his goals in Game 1 against Philly last year).

Posted by: jhershb | March 1, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I'm reposting my thoughts on Cherry:

jmu_capsgirl said:
"He makes me want to throw things and yell at small children."

davethecapsfan said:
"Don Cherry is a walking parrot...sure he knows a little about hockey, but even a broken clock tells time right twice a day."

And that is why Cherry is on TV. He riles up the natives.
He's old, dated, fiercely patriotic and a throw back to small town, Scotch-English toughness.
A lot of people dont like the celebration becuase the violent and thick, and ultra competitive, want the other team to be humble in every facet. And there are times I agree, that self-celebration is gratuitous. But Oviechkin isnt pretending to pull cell phones out of his pocket, or hiding one in the goal netting to call his mom with after scoring. In this last Boston game, he celebrated and I thought he had scored, but Flash had. The puck never got close to Ovechkin. Still, he celebrated his team, his team mate, his fans, his couch, all in one great outburst. Thats not ego, that's a lack of ego.
Something Don Cherry knows nothing about.
So like so many other times before, I say Cherry can go and stuff himself.

Posted by: oo7 | February 28, 2009 9:32 PM

Posted by: oo7 | March 1, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is a moron with no fashion sense whatsoever. Who cares what he says? Ovi is EXCITING!

Cherry - well, tie du jour ain't my cup of tea.

Posted by: irockthered | March 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 10:55 AM | Report abuse

WhyGo,
Last season Caps traded Huet (goalie) at the deadline and it helped a lot to reach PO. With Brent Johnson (2nd goalie) out it is a possible move to make.

Posted by: Hazz | March 1, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Jumping into the Boards after a goal-wrong

Sucker punching a guy in the nuts as 3rd man in or jumping someone on a faceoff-right?????????

Cherry has hated Euros since they arrived

Posted by: gtydings | March 1, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Cherry is just jealous that he was never a rockstar like OV. Cherry -- It's called playing with heart, and not playing with your wallet or your free agent contract. Go make out with Crosby.

Posted by: ejohnsto | March 1, 2009 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Cherry's an idiot. He's just pissed that the best player in the league is a russian and not a Canadien...Theo Fluery used to celebrate like a maniac all the time, and what about Tiger Williams riding his stick like a horse after scoring. Anyone see when Cindy scored last Saturday against the Flyers, I seem to remember him jumping into the glass after scoring, a la Ovie. If Cherry were coaching today, he still would only have all Canadien players on his team, and you would get the same results as when he coached in the 70's ZERO Stanley cups.

Posted by: topshelf | March 1, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Milestones In Reach - My wish list for today would be to see Alexander Semin reach his 100th NHL goal (he needs 2) or his 100th NHL assist (he needs 3) or both today!

If he gets both, he also gets his 200th NHL point, which would be three milestones in one game, and that would rawk!

If he doesn't get there today, how about on the March 3rd game vs. the Hurricanes? That would be a great birthday present for him! XD

Posted by: irockthered | March 1, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Hazz. I recall that he was a French or something. My wife thought he was good-looking, but she thinks Theodore shared 'special time' with Paris Hilton, so what does she know.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

AND if Ovechkin gets one more game-winning goal, he will hold 3rd place in the Caps organization all by himself, and Bengt Gustaffson will drop to 4th.

LET'S GO, CAPS!!!

Posted by: irockthered | March 1, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Cherry is just jealous.

He needs to STFU and buy a hairpiece to cover up the glare from that monster melon he has.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | March 1, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

RE Minnesota's Backstrom to Caps:

If it were true, I can see Caps giving up Flesichmann for him.

Posted by: elicea | March 1, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I neglected to mention the Wild are looking for a scoring forward in return (ugh, not enough coffee yet to function properly).

Posted by: m4ilm4n | March 1, 2009 11:12 AM | Report abuse

if we make it to the 2nd round, what would be the biggest fear for GMGM?

The team that WINS the 2nd round almost always has some super good goaltending.

what if JT gets hurt again?

Gamble with the kids?

Wait for Johnny to heal?

Or go get an insurance policy now, showing everybody on the team and in the stands that GMGM thinks we will win the 2nd round.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

we just happen to have a forward or two to spare.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 11:16 AM | Report abuse

if we got the d-man that everybody says we need, would that help solve the 200lb gorilla of 'what if JT gets hurt?

d-man would be a great help. The question is, can we win the 2nd round without that help?

Do you gamble that the D you have now will get it done, and chase away the gorilla with a goalie, or go get a big D-man and still leave the gorilla on the couch?

I think that about sums up the issue. lot's of folks have more precise information, but I think it is D-man or Goalie.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Guerin -- Good leadership and veteran experience. But we don't need a wing! We need a D. The love affair with Schultz seems to continue, but he and Green on the same line just don't work. The most recent example -- the Flyers scored twice in the third period on the same side of the net, THREE FEET from the net, both times with Schultz and Green right there). Theo needs more of a physical presence than just Erskine and Brash. I just don't get the wall of protection that they seem to have around Schultz. I'm tired of hearing the "work in progress" excuse.

Posted by: FedsFan | March 1, 2009 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that you can pick up one chip (Guerin) and trade him for another chip (G, D). Might just be a part of another deal. Too soon to know, till they announce.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is a bigot towards anything or one who is not Canadian.

Posted by: CapsFan21 | March 1, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@powlover

I will do my best to get the "Cherry SUCKS" chant going today.

Posted by: ralCapsFan | March 1, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

So Don Cherry screams that Ovechkin's goal celebrations are over the top. It's sad that the future Canadian players are watching this guy while growing up.

Oh by the way, it's gonna be real awkward when that D-bag next to Don Cherry has to hand the MVP trophy to Ovy at the end of the year again. Don Cherry better not show up or Ovy may check him into the front row seats.

Posted by: blanknerc | March 1, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

The funny thing is that most hockey analysts are praising Crosby for finally showing some emotion after scoring and copying OV by jumping into the glass.

Posted by: wis193 | March 1, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"Don Cherry is a bigot towards anything or one who is not Canadian."

Sorry you're wrong. Cherry called out CANADA for not supporting the US during the Iraqi invasion. The guy is a loud mouth A-hole who is not afraid to offend anyone. I find him entertaining even though I might not always agree with him as do many people. Yeah... I like his suits too.

Posted by: FLDave | March 1, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight. With the worst TV contract of any sport, a physical barrier between fans and players that no other major sport has (i.e. the glass), and in the midst of a global recession, what the NHL needs is less enthusiasm from the guys on the ice who are making millions of dollars a year? Is he trying to make the NHL go out of business?

I’m sorry, but it’s not a valid opinion.

Posted by: mosesguthrie | March 1, 2009 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Tarik,

why is conveniently ignored when Crosby goes into the boards ala ovechkin when he scored the GWG against philly last saturday? Is it because he is a "nice canadian boy"?

Or how about Malkin spinning on the ice after he scored against the caps earlier this year.

Cherry is a xenophobe plain and simple.

Posted by: O-V-P | March 1, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

With all the Guerin talk from last night and this morning, if we get him it will only be for a 2nd or 1st round pick. We won't send any players that way.

Secondly, look for Nylander and Morrison to be the scratches today. My guess is if we are giving up a pick or prospect for Guerin, that Nylander has agreed to waive his NMC and him and MO will be packaged somewhere.

Posted by: ThePat | March 1, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

I wish someone would take a run at Cherry. You know come out of the weeds and get him!

Posted by: CapManJ | March 1, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so all of you have pretty much said it by now, but let me throw in: who cares what Cherry thinks? Most of the fans love Ovie, and the DC fans definitely love him, and the other players respect him overall. Plus, here is the difference: they are not premeditated celebrations (see NFL) or chest thumping, look at me over here by myself celebrations; they are spur of the moment celebrations with his teammates. Enough said. Cherry couldn't make his living as a player and then again as a coach, so he decided to be this outspoken mouthpiece instead. Who cares...

Posted by: Roose | March 1, 2009 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Lay off the Seagrams don and get someone to change your diaper.

Posted by: Phillip258 | March 1, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey Don, really?? You know, anytime I could pick up TSN's feed I'd watch it over any other because I enjoyed hearing your opinion on things, but sir, you're way off on this one. So are players just supposed to score, then skate back and sit on the bench like nothing happened? Hockey ratings blow in the States anyway so why don't we just make it completely painful to watch a game by squelching any and all on ice celebrations. You mean to tell me that you would rather see all the little Canadian kids model their on ice actions after Avery, who calls out his fellow Canadian hockey players by saying they are sleeping with his sloppy seconds? To hell with your opinion and to hell with any kid, Canadian or not, that wants to emulate Avery's actions. Ovechkin isn't Canadian or American, he's Russian. It's a breath of fresh air to see a kid like Ovie come out of that somewhat gloomy existence that some feel exists in Russia and feel like they're on top of the world and celebrate they way they feel. I guess it was ok for Crosby to throw himself against the glass a few weeks ago when he scored, eh Donny? Take your half wit opinion and shove it up your great white north.

Posted by: pepca1 | March 1, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

According to http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/270236.html the only holding up the trade to be finalized, with Guerin, is the Caps having trouble freeing up cap space.

Posted by: elicea | March 1, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

What an absolute sham to rip on soccer players for their celebrations, let alone comparing them to ovetchkin. Ovie's celebrations are more along the lines of football players touchdown "dances." Next time i see ovie stripping after a goal, i might agree with Mr.Senility.

O, and no one is going to touch Ovetchkin because he and Crosby are THE nhl prospects. To hurt either one would be very bad for the sport. That being said, ovie isn't a push over. You see him every game making big hits agianst guys, I don't think he'd be a Semin when it comes to fighting. You go after a teams star player, and the bruisers go after you. And I personally wouldn't want to draw out Brashear. Have you seen his highlight reel?

Posted by: breaklance | March 1, 2009 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Most of you probably know this but it is worth repeating:

For the Caps to bring anyone in (regardless of salary) they have to send a player out, They are currently carrying the maximum of 50 contracts.

Posted by: QuintenD | March 1, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

beagle called up...to replace someone or the be sent packing????

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 1, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

now the bushes are starting to rustle a bit...

Posted by: WhyGo | March 1, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

beagle call-up...maybe to replace fehr. did he get dinged last night?

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 1, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: you-dont | March 1, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I fully expect the Red Army of Caps fans to let Don Cherry know what they think of him...A "Don Cherry Sucks!" cheer might be in order today..

Posted by: SA-Town | March 1, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

how about we ignore don cherry. he's been a long time caps hater ("mickey mouse franchise" ring a bell?). he's a canadian side show. he'd rather have guys beat the snot out each other everynight than watch a guy celebrate his team's goal scoring acheivements.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | March 1, 2009 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with the first comment by pcalver1. Cherry is an attention seeker too. Just look at his tie. I also thought I saw him do an interview one time on CSN in a red blazer. Who wears a red blazer? Ovechkin's celebrations are only going to attract people to the game of Hockey. My wife could have cared less about hockey before she saw Ovechkin and his celebrations. When we watch games she uses the DVR to replay Ovechkins celebrations after any Caps goal. I also think Hal Gil had the best comment about Ovechkin's celebrations. If you don't like it than stop him from scoring.

Posted by: RMartin658 | March 1, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

This is just Cherry trying to show some solidarity around Cindy Crosby after Crosby got panned by the media for crying about Ovechkin's celebrations last week. But you have to give Cherry credit, he did manage to get a lot of us to post in indignant anger.

Posted by: TheGJ | March 1, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PlzGodCome | March 1, 2009 2:50 AM

absolutely agree. don cherry just put a hit out on alex ovechkin. what was the phrase? oh yes, "cut him in half". delightful, eh?

Posted by: cavemandave | March 1, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

So... he's against players celebrating and thus pumping up their teammates and fans... but he's FOR somebody taking a run at, and consequently injuring, the player who does said celebrating?

Posted by: TheSkyIsntFalling | March 1, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Alex is a great player, but his antics are a bit too much. Cherry was on Crosby's case last year too.
Celebrate as if you've done it before. There are enough T.O.'s in this world.

Posted by: ysmith1 | March 1, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Cherry is a chauvinistic dinosaur. If he doesn't apreciate the excitement and energy Ovechkin brings to the game, he's totally out of it. The whole Canadacentric thing is offensive and outrageous. The diversity of the game with the non-Canadian influences is one of the great things about the sport today. And him essentially inviting someone to put Ovechkin out of commission defies belief. I guess the only fortunate thing is that nobody gives him a second thought anyway cause he's such a joke.

Posted by: dgitlitz | March 1, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Lots of excellent, very well written comments from Canadians on the HNIC website under Cherry's tirade video, but I especially enjoyed this excerpt from one:

This embarrassing tirade reminded me of a Simpsons episode where the Springfield news anchor, Kent Brockman, starts going off on a crazy rant and then the screen is replaced with a picture of Brockman with a cuckoo bird coming out of his head with a warning of technical difficulties.

---

BTW, many in the States don't know, but Cherry used to own a junior team which, of course, had a policy to only draft Canadian players. They sucked horribly. Here's some info from Wikipedia which also shows just how hypocritical he is:

Cherry was the part-owner and the former coach of the Ontario Hockey League's Mississauga IceDogs. As owner and general manager, he gained notoriety by refusing to take part in the CHL import draft, and only play North American born players. The IceDogs' first three seasons were difficult ones with the team winning a total of 16 games combined. Cherry took over coaching duties in the fourth season. During Cherry's one season as head coach of the Mississauga IceDogs, the team managed 11 victories (only a slight improvement) and failed to make the playoffs for the fourth straight year. Cherry drew some criticism for his decision to suddenly allow European born players onto the IceDogs line-up during the one season he coached the team.

Posted by: ranndino | March 1, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

There is an element of truth to what Cherry says. I used to think it was so classy that John Riggins would just hand the board to the ref when he scored a TD instead of doing all kinds of gyrations. HOWEVER, the NFL doesn't need marketing like the NHL does. Which is why Ovechkin is perfect for the league.

Posted by: poguesmahone | March 1, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Theory: The reason that all the "skilled" players are coming from Europe, is that every Canadian kid with any skill immediately gets his face broken by some no talent, Don Cherry listening goon.

Canada can't produce the "next Gretzky" because the Canadian Jr league trains players for the UFC, not NHL

Posted by: MrDC3 | March 1, 2009 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Screw Don Cherry.

The guy is a Canadian homer. If you arent Canadian, than he doesn't like you.

He is jealous of Ovie, its pretty obvious.

Boy would I like to have a word with Cherry.

Inconsiderate A-hole

Posted by: digster1013 | March 1, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

This comes from a man who personifies a country whose only contributions to Western Civilization are back bacon and Tim Horton's Doughnuts.

Posted by: HistoryBoy | March 1, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

From Ted's Take-

"Don Cherry is like Rush Limbaugh and President Obama is in office with very high popularity ratings. :-) Change has come. It is like oxygen, get used to it."

Posted by: fehrrocks | March 1, 2009 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Poor Sidney, Alexander The Great's stealing all his thunder. Boo hoo, cry me a river, Cherry. Ovie's here to stay.

Posted by: bryan2369 | March 2, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

I am from Canada and I have to say that I disagree with Don Cherry on this issue. I enjoy watching Alex, especially when he scores. He brings an energy and enthusiasm to the game that more players should. Alex is not trying to show off. He genuinely enjoys scoring goals, and as one poster previously stated, enjoys it just as much when a teammate scores. There are many things I do agree with Don on though and I think people are unfairly suggesting that he doesn't know anything about the game. Don is a very smart hockey man, and like Ovechkin, shouldn't be criticized for his "over enthusiasm".

Posted by: SirJesto | March 3, 2009 5:12 AM | Report abuse

the posts about cherry being a hypocrite and xenophobic old crotchety bas.tard are right on point. anyways, i just wanted to keep my post concise so here goes: "Don Cherry, don't hate just because you can't duplicate"

done

Posted by: esauls4 | March 3, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I might be a little late with this but here goes. Cherry is at times an idiot other times he's bang on, often he's controversial and always a patriotic Canadian. You Americans should understand him because Cherry sounds alot like many Americans.

As for Cherry rooting for Crosby - not so. He has been routinely criticized up here for repeatedly ripping Crosby. Clearly Crosby is not his type of player.

As far as Canada not producing top talent anymore think again. Canada has virtually owned the Under 20 world championships in recent years. This year they won a 5th straight despite its top 7 players being with NHL clubs.

Posted by: gman0959 | March 5, 2009 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I am from Upper Michigan, a grandma, a huge hockey fan and I couldn't believe what I heard from Don Cherry. (he also had some not so nice things to say about Pavel Datsyuk, maybe it's a Russian thing) We are Redwing fans first but we also enjoy watching the Capitals. My grandson will be 5 this month and he is totally into hockey. He asked for an Ovechkin jersey for his birthday and of course we ordered him one. We are happy that he chose someone like Ovechkin as his idol and not someone like Crosby. When I first saw Ovechkin I didn't even know who he was. It was the year after he was drafted and he was at the draft. He was signing autographs, sitting with the kids and the fans, and talking to the draftees. We were so impressed, we thought he was a great guy to have in hockey. Ever since then we have been following him whenever we can. He's a great hockey player, a classy hockey player and fun to watch. Hockey is for the fans and the fans love him. Crosby has no class. He whines about everything, jumps guys with their head down and punches below the belt. Maybe Cherry thinks that's the way to play hockey but I don't. I personally hope that Ovechkin's excitement and smile continue to excite the fans and inspire the kids for years to come.

Posted by: redwing24 | March 6, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse