Jason Chimera on second line

After a long delay in Salt Lake City because of snow, I just arrived at HP Pavilion in time to catch the final few minutes of practice.

One thing stood out immediately -- newly acquired winger Jason Chimera is skating on the second line, not the third as expected. Here's what Coach Bruce Boudreau's revamped forward combos look like:

Ovechkin-Morrison-Knuble
Chimera-Backstrom-Semin
Fleischmann-Laich-Fehr
Laing-Steckel/Gordon-Bradley

I'll have more in my story for tomorrow's paper.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  December 29, 2009; 5:33 PM ET
 | Tags: Jason Chimera, San Jose Sharks
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After shock of trade, Caps look ahead to Sharks
Next: Morning roundup: Chimera set to debut

Comments

ROFL! I love it. And just because I like making Randinno look like silly here's his post from yesterday to my statement that Chimera may see some time on the 2nd line

---------------------------------------

The difference is that we used to suck terribly back then and now we're really good. Also, don't back away from saying that Chimera was brought in to play on our 2nd line. We can all scroll up, you know.

You said that you weren't sure what this will do to Flash and Laich. Obviously he can be used as a top 6 forward if we get a bunch of injuries. That's very different from what you said.

Posted by: ranndino | December 28, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse
-----------------------------------

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------
@ cstanton1

You never fail to make my jaw drop. There's no way Chimera is gonna be on our top 2 lines. He was not brought in as a top 6 forward. He might have been used as a top 6 forward on a horrible team like Columbus, but we are all set with scoring forwards, thank you very much. None of the ones we have are getting replaced with a guy who's career high in goals is barely over 15.

If I'm wrong about this and Chimera plays on our 2nd line I will eat a hat covered with ketchup.

-------------------------------------

ok, so once you pick your hat out I'll supply the ketchup, lol

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

My biggest issue watching Morrison this season is that he gets knocked off the puck incredibly easily. He is probably the worst on our team when it comes to battling along the boards. I know he's a smaller guy but there are plenty of smaller players that are tougher to push around.

In addition to that, his speed still isn't there.

On the positive side, he's a smart player that plays both ends of the ice. When given time and space, he can make good reads and passes. Unforutnately, if he's got pressure or a man on him, he loses his effectiveness pretty quickly.

A lot of people are still amazed by his cute goal the other day but I'm looking at what he has done overall throughout the course of games this season.

As of now, regardless of points and numbers, he doesn't quite look like a center worthy of playing on the top 2 lines. Let's see if he takes another step forward as the season progresses.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 29, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I still say Flash gets pasted more than any other player and knocked on his keester. He's the new Boy Gordo.

I can forgive BMo to an extent though. He's been more tenacious in high traffic areas and he's been going to the net more. You can't control your strength given a certain body type but you can control your willingness to compete and your tenacity.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

On another note, did Anton Gustafsson simply not get picked to play for Sweden at the U-20 World Juniors?

I believe he is eligible with regards to age.

I've read stuff about him being a reach where we picked him and that he's struggled in his development and with injuries but I also remember some early scouting reports saying that he had good potential.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 29, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

The Pens are a more prolific hitting team? What heck are you talking about? Last year's Stanley Cup Finals had two skilled teams playing each other. The last physical team left in the playoffs last year was Anaheim and eliminated by Detroit. The Caps and Pens are almost mirror images of each other right now, that is why they are both successful. I'm not wasting any more of my time with you. You get into a scuffle just about every time you come in here.

You are the same "fan" that lost that pizza bet to me last year in the playoffs. You know what, I'm calling in the bet. I normally wouldn't but since you are such a hockey expert I have to take advantage of your blunder. If you ever plan to show up at Verizon let me know. I'll meet you at Papa John's in the stadium and I will enjoy the delicious pizza from a Caps victory because you ditched your team like most Caps "fans" do when things aren't going well. Plus I just have to meet a hockey expert. The next game I am going to is the Ottawa game next week. I am out of town on business for the next two, but will be back in town for the game against the Flyers. Let me know when and where you want to meet.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

This is Chimmers first practice. Just because he's starting on the 2nd line, it doesn't mean he's staying. BB changes lines so often. How about we see what the lines look like in a few weeks. Chimmer will probably have a few good games as he tries to impress his new team mates and coaches. Let see how he's doing after 10 games.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

I like that idea of Chimera on that line. Flash-Laich-Fehr has been one of my favorite lines last couple years (remember the night after the trade deadline couple years back when that line was the #1 line against Minnesota and they had a hand in all 4 goals that night). Every time they are together for any stretch of time, they put up numbers. Should be a fun time on the left coast this week.

Posted by: BBDwrestling | December 29, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts on the lines used at practice today:

After last night's "stinker", Boudreau figured it was time to shake up the lines. While the first line didn't have one of their better games overall last night, the second line has generally been "off", as of late. Hence, some changes were due.

BB figured: keep Morrison and Knuble together and have them be with Ovi, since that's worked in the past and should be a way to spark them. Flash and Fehr are usually good together as well so put them with Laich. And Chimera had to go somewhere.

Under "normal" circumstances, the lines that JSchon proposed yesterday make sense but a greater shakeup was needed. I figure that Chimera will go back and forth between the 2nd and 3rd line as the year progresses. If I remember correctly, didn't Matt Cooke play on the 2nd line a fair amount?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 29, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

from last thread:

@cstanton1
As long as you are still posting about hitting, please give the breakdown of the Pens roster and who hits and who doesn't, as you did with the Caps roster. (you are one tenacious poster I'll give you that)
Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 29, 2009 5:35 PM

i've added leading zero's to try and make it readable

games/hits/avg hits

39 015 0.38 Brendan Morrison
31 011 0.35 Tom Poti
30 010 0.33 Alexander Semin
18 005 0.28 Mathieu Perreault
09 002 0.22 Keith Aucoin
02 000 0.00 Andrew Gordon

cstanton1 isn't making this stuff up.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 29, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

thx buddy. That pizza I owed Fanock from last season will be delivered to you instead. What a perfect way to spell it all out!

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

Right o you are Fannypack. Detroit and Pittsburgh were simply 2 skilled teams who were not physical. I love that you think Carolina wasn't physical either. I guess they got to the Conf Finals past Boston and Jersey based on their exceptional SKILL level. lmao
How long have you been on medical marijuana?

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Cstanton, you aren't going to weasel out of the pizza bet are you? I hope not. That would be a Cindy Crosby move.

Posted by: zmega | December 29, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

i like schultz - but if malkin can avg one hit per game - schultz (and every other d) should be getting two.

i repeat i LIKE schultz

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 29, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse
------------
I beg to differ. I see Semin get knocked off more than any other player.

As for the line combos, switch Backs and B-mo and that would be what I thought BB would've gone with.

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I would rather have Perrault back up and at that 3rd line center, with Laich moving to 2nd line LW with Backstrom and Semin. Then Chimera could play on the 4th line with Steckel and Bradley.

Posted by: sgm3 | December 29, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watched the World Junior Championship USA vs Latvia?

Carlson was ok. Could have done better, but not too bad.

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

"Timley hitting has so many benefits its hard to know where to start. As Capt Kirk stated, its not about taking yourself out of the play. Its about taking advantage of the opportunities which are presented. If the Caps simply just took advantage of most of the hits that were presented to them, we'd be a better more well-rounded team heading into the playoffs. Because playoff hockey is different and when you don't have a dramatic skill advantage over another team, then they can bridge that gap with their physical play."

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

AMEN Brother!!!

Posted by: deadskin | December 29, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deadskin | December 29, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

Thank you cstanton1--I appreciate it. Also I really wasn't being snarky. I really meant a synopsis breakdown like you did in an earlier thread with the Caps. You didn't need to go to this much trouble, but I do appreciate it.

@capt_kirk

I know he doesn't make this stuff up--that's why I asked for the info. I was serious when I said I don't follow the Pens roster.

To both of you now--in your opinion how do the Devils compare to the Pens ans us with hitting. I fully expect them to be a Cup contender as well. Just a verbal analysis please. I am no statician. I don't think I am up for thee sets of data tonight.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 29, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else watched the World Junior Championship USA vs Latvia?

Carlson was ok. Could have done better, but not too bad.

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

did we win at least? whats a good website to keep up on this and how are you watching the games?

Posted by: deadskin | December 29, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: deadskin | December 29, 2009 6:39 PM | Report abuse
-------------
USA 12-1 Latvia

I have the NHL Network. You can go to iihf.com to keep up

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

atdhe.net has the games too

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

lmao! I found this to be pretty hilarious

Best line: "Try scoring 50 with Zubrus as your centreman"

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

So now you're calling me names cstanton1? I thought that was some kind of internet 101 class you threw at me on the last thread. No, I don't want my pizza delivered, I want to meet the guy that knows it all, face to face. I am very interested in seeing who fights with posters on a regular basis. YES, Pittsburgh and Detroit were skilled teams last year. As was Carolina. Carolina knocked out what was considered a physically dominating Boston team too.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I've watched almost all of Carlson's play at the WJC.

His play in the offensive zone and on the PP has been very good to great at times.

Defensively, he's been caught out of position a few times but he's also made some good plays at that end (blocked shots, using his stick well). He's one of the bigger kids out there so he's winning most battles along the boards.

His composure is terrific and he sees the ice well. That pass to Schroeder in front of the net toward the end of the game against Latvia was sweet. He's also good at finding open space when he jumps up on offense. He just needs to avoid getting caught out of position defensively like he did on one of Latvia's near goals where he lost his man behind the net.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 29, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Varly assigned to the Bears? What?

Conditioning stint I hope.

Posted by: lornemyoung | December 29, 2009 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Johansson is playing against Orlov right now.

Again, does anybody know if Gustafsson was eligible for this tournament and if so, why he wasn't selected?

I know he's struggled so I'm assuming that's why he wasn't picked.

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 29, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1

99.99% of the time a trade goes down the organization will put the new player on two lines above his potential. Not sure why, I guess it is to justify the trade.

Chimera is a 3rd line player at best. Still, I cannot wait to see someone eat a hat!!!

Posted by: FLDave | December 29, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | December 29, 2009 6:30 PM

i don't watch enough of the other teams to know that much about them. i just know that when the caps match their opponents hitting they seem to do better.
as far as hitting: pens > njd > wash
imo hitting alone does not win games or SC's (phi and tor aren't scaring anyone on the scoreboard right now) but when faced with a team that hits more and harder than you - you will get worn down and stand a greater chance of losing. i just don't want the caps to be that team with the greater chance of losing

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | December 29, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

This doesn't have anything to do with the subject at hand, but I thought the Caps Nation might find it interesting. I'm not much of a computer guy so I couldn't figure how to provide the link, so just google "Washington Eagles Hockey". They were a minor league team from the 1930's-40's. Anyway doesn't their logo look familiar?!...

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 29, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

this team is not gonna beat any team with their physical play in the playoffs, they just have to play smarter and more disciplined.

it's like asking the 49ers of the 80's to run the football down the throat of their opponents.

Posted by: joek443 | December 29, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

joek443,

VERY good observation. BTW I spoke with Joe Montana this Novemember at a charity function in Orlando. The "Hey!! That's John Candy!!!" story is fact not fiction. Joe told me he was a huge John Candy fan and genuinely pleased to see him at the game. At the time he was just speaking his mind and had no idea the calming effect it would have on his team.

Posted by: FLDave | December 29, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@capsyounggun:
I don't think the Devils have much of an advantage if any over us when it comes to finishing checks. Well, maybe defensively they do with the addition of a Mark Fraser to their lineup that already contains Salvador and White. Neither does a team like Buffalo which is atop the standings.

I think the big disparity really lies with the Penguins, Bruins and sometimes with the Rangers. Now if we lived in the Western Conf, I think there's about 4 or 5 teams we'd have issues with in that regard starting w/ Vanc, Chi, Calgary, SJ

But if you're looking at the other teams with similar skill levels to us, the team that stands out is Pittsburgh because they match up well skill-wise but they have a disparate advantage when it comes to finishing checks and other types of physical play. The only improvement I've seen from the Caps this season when it comes to grit is their willingness to go to the net. Call it a trickle-down effect from the Knuble acquisition or whatever, but I'm glad to see it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

---------------

not sure why this concept is getting misconstrued but no one is saying they have to "beat a team with physical play".
Whats being said is, the Caps can greatly improve their chances of winning if they incorporate more hitting into their current style. If you have two evenly matched teams on paper, then the team who works harder and has a distinct physical advantage will probably prevail in most cases. thats all folks

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 7:25 PM | Report abuse

fanock:YES, Pittsburgh and Detroit were skilled teams last year.
----------------------------

both teams had skill. It doesn't mean that both teams (esp Pittsburgh) weren't also finishing checks with alarming frequency. How do you not understand that a team can be skilled AND physical ? Seriously, do you have a mental block on this?
The Pens finished top 5 in hits last year, they also had over 700 hits just in the playoffs! This year they're 2nd in the league in hits and they've gone on record as stating that they consider finishing checks to be an integral part of their success. Look at the link I posted. You don't deserve pizza if you can't grasp this so try really hard.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | December 29, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

just for the sake of argument, that 49ers team had one heckuva defense. Guys like Keena Turner and Ronnie Lott defined toughness. You're only talking about the offensive part of their football team. Don't forget about their D.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

@lornemyoung

While "technically" Varly has been assigned to Hershey, in reality it is meant to be a conditioning stint. But since he can be assigned (for less pay), the Caps are doing so. Plus, he isn't making the road trip and dealing with the jet lag.

I figure the Caps wanted him to get some game experience before coming back.

I expect he'll be back with the team after this weekend's games.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 29, 2009 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Watching WJC Sweden vs. Russia on NHL Network, needing my hockey fix. Caps perspective?

Sweden - Marcus Johansson
Russia - Dmitri Orlov

...and there is Filatov.

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | December 29, 2009 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I'll pop back and read all the comments in a sec but I love have Flash and Fehr on the same line - I think they both flourished with the various Hershey centers this year and that new second line is very good. What BB can do, of course, is move Semin when needed to the first line - great set-up here. Flash, Fehr and Laich will be very strong.

Well done. Something special going on here....

Posted by: saintex | December 29, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

and Laich gets to move back to where he's most comfortable and Gordon probably (thankfully) ends up being the odd-man out on most nights since Laing has entrenched himself in the lineup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | December 29, 2009 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@tmac - Alas, I fear that if Baby Gus wants to have a career in NHL hockey, he better learn how to sharpen skate blades.

Posted by: zmega | December 29, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

I have the same fear.

His father was my father's favorite player at the time I started to go to games back in the day.

I'd love to see another Gustafsson out there. It's lame reasoning but it is what it is. I'm just a fan. I don't have to make sense all the time. Hah!

Posted by: tmac2yao | December 29, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1: The Pens and Red Wings were NOT considered physical teams, that is what you need to grasp. The Caps aren't pushed around this season, they just lost their 9th game in regulation last night, what the heck more do you want? I am calling in my bet because as this season progresses I am tired of the fans that jump off the band wagon when things start looking bad. Funny how the 1st loss at home in 5 happens and you have fans booing. It's digusting for a fan to sit and listen to that. The "fans" were booing last night when our 4th line was pinned in the zone against Carolina's 2nd line. They didn't give up any glorious scoring chances, nor were they scored on, but they were booed nonetheless. The fact that our fans couldn't recognize that it was our 4th line out there shows many fans at the stadium are new to the game, and have no idea what is going on half the time. cstanton1, you ditched the Caps last season. Don't welch on a bet.

Posted by: fanohock1 | December 29, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

I hope Semin doesn't go into another funk .
He seems to need to skate with OV.

Posted by: jono57 | December 29, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

@jono57

Semin does not need to skate with Ovi, but he prefers it. However, he did pretty well when Ovi was out with Backstrom and Laich. I like it that BB is putting Backstrom with Semin because Semin also needs a good set up from time to time. It will be interesting to see how this goes. I am sure we will see several iterations.

Posted by: Steakum | December 29, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Hanlon utilize a more defensive, physical style of hockey? And didn't that not work with this team (ex., see the BB 2007-2008 turnaround)?

OK, so this team isn't as physical as some would like, but to try and make them more so would compromise exactly why they are successful. To quote Denny Green: "They are who we thought they were!"

Also, registering hits isn't the only indicator of physical play. The NHL also keeps stats on takeaways, which in my mind trump hits because it means you get possession of the puck. The Caps have 314 this year which puts them 8th in the NHL. The Pens are 25th with 203 and the Devils are 27th with 195. Trust me, you can make stats say whatever you want them to. Bottom line is we've been playing well so far this season, and hopefully we are getting all the injuries out of our system now. Go Caps...show 'em how the east side does it!

Posted by: emc7x | December 29, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I really like Steffan Della Rovere. Has good size and he uses it Protects the puck very well. He's a gritty forward with a lot of talent.

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

If you have not seen it yet, there's an engaging locker room interview with Chimera on the Caps site: http://capitals.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=809&id=55647

Posted by: Steakum | December 29, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

A new squad has been created in the Doofus Brigade.

It's for people who try and welch on their bets.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 29, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Beauty of a goal by Canada

Posted by: elicea | December 29, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Hmm! I thought BB was satisfied with the recent performance of his Ovie-Semins-Backs line. Why would he change it? Or was it only for practice?

Posted by: caraveli | December 29, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Islander over Blue Jackets in shootout 2 - 1. Weird seeing Clark and Jurcina in CBJ sweaters.

Posted by: kcbrichmond | December 29, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

kcbrichmond: Yeah, we were rooting for CBJ. Jurcina was on during intermission. Now put PHX-VAN but they went to intermission.

Posted by: tominfl1 | December 29, 2009 9:45 PM | Report abuse

I doubt those line combination last. Nothing wrong with Chimera being on the second line, but OV will not play with just Morrison and Knuble for long...expect Backstrom to swap with Morrison by period 2 on Wednesday.

By the way Tomas Fleischmann is still the real number two left wing on the team. When OV was out of the lineup Flash stepped in quite nicely in his spot.

Posted by: yesisaiditfirst | December 29, 2009 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom and OV will be back together before the middle of the second period they just have chemistry

Posted by: nickiefan83 | December 29, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

I notice that Pittsburgh was up 3-0 against Buffalo but lost 4-3. Ryan Miller let in 3 goals and was replaced with Lalime.

The last Sabres goal was on a Power Play. The first Sabres goal was on a penalty shot. (I guess the penalty shot was a momentum changer for the game.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 29, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

@yesisaiditfirst & @nickiefan83

While our new lines may last a game or two, eventually the OBS line will be reunited. (OBS will normally be our top line but they occasionally need to be broken up and this is one of these times.)

The second line definitely needs a jump start so a major shakeup was in order. (At least Laich finally scored a goal as Ovi's "goal" from yesterday is now credited to Brooksie.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | December 29, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

For those who didn't watch the Chimera interview during it Ovechkin came over and gave him a Gatorade so I don't think there are any hard feelings about what happened earlier in the season.

Posted by: icehammer97 | December 29, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

haha ovie lost in juice boy.

Posted by: wis193 | December 29, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

speaking of juice, Juice (still #23) played 21:31 in his debut with 5 hits and 4 blocked shots. Nice outing. He was also named to the Slovakian Olympic team.

Meanwhile, Clarkie (now #11) played 13:49 with 1 SOG and 1 hit.

Strangely, CBJ has 5 guys with "A"'s. However, Chris Clark is not one of them.

Posted by: wis193 | December 29, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Chimera interview. Profanity in the background at 2:18. Anyone have any idea who that was?

Posted by: wis193 | December 29, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Currently waiting to see a hat with ketchup to be eaten.

Posted by: richmondphil | December 30, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

scott van pelt just said cindy crosby on sportscenter, it sounded like a freudian slip more than an intentional slight, either way i love that guy.

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | December 30, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

"I want to thank my center Nicklas Backstrom, he give me good pucks"

GO OVECHKIN!