Chimera won't face suspension

A few updates from this morning's practice at KCI:

*Although Jason Chimera received an instigator penalty in the final five minutes of last night's 6-1 win over Toronto, the league rescinded the automatic one game suspension this morning. Chimera avoided discipline because "this was not a message sending incident," I'm told.

Chimera was sticking up for rookie defenseman John Carlson, who had just absorbed a late hit as the Leafs began to run around a bit in the final minutes.

"In the spirit of the way the rule was written, that wasn't in any way what really happened," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "The rule was written for when you get a lead and the other team sends out all of its tough guys and tries to send a statement for the next time you play them."

*That also presumably means that Boudreau won't have to cough up $10,000 - the automatic fine given to a coach when one of his players gets a late instigator.

*Karl Alzner could be back before Tuesday's game. According to Boudreau, he needed to play five more games in Hershey in order to be eligible to suit up for the Bears during the Olympic break.

"His fifth game is tonight," Boudreau said. "He was playing well and is a good member of our team. ...We've got enough guys here for tomorrow, but I'm sure Karl will be here soon."

*Brian Pothier, who was injured when he blocked a shot in Florida, practiced this morning but remains questionable for tomorrow's matinee against the Flyers. John Erskine (upper body injury) also practiced. His status is also unclear.

"We'll see how they feel tomorrow," Boudreau said. "Twenty-four hours can make a lot of difference."

Because of that uncertainty, Carlson is expected to stick around for now. But he'll likely be headed back to the minors by Monday, at the latest, so he can participate in Tuesday's AHL All-Star Game in Portland (Maine).

*Alexander Semin (sore right wrist) did not practice today but will be in the lineup tomorrow, Boudreau said.

That's it for now. Check tomorrow's Post for a story on Chimera, who has two goals and three assists in the past four games and has gotten the Caps' third line going. Finally.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  January 16, 2010; 1:06 PM ET
 | Tags: Jason Chimera
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps 6, Leafs 1
Next: Today's game: Flyers at Caps

Comments

See? McPhee and Gabby know more than we do. Smart move for them, making sure Alzner can play during the Olympics now so they don't have to worry about it later. Good deal for both clubs and for Alzner himself. Plus, Carlson gets a reward for his play in the WJC.

Glad Chimmer isn't getting a suspension, Gabby's exactly right. What Chimmer did is exactly what the instigator wasn't written for; had it been called on Toronto, it would have been perceived as message-sending and the suspension would stick.

Posted by: kittypawz | January 16, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Glad to see the Caps really sticking up for each other. We will continue to see other teams get frustrated and take some liberties with the home town heroes. Caps are showing they got balls and will not take guff off their opponents.

Posted by: crooks_c | January 16, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

GMGM and Bouds know more than we do?!? Surely you jest! No one knows more hockey than the armchair GMs on CI!

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 16, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit at this point I was completely wrong about Chimera. I watched him play for Columbia and I think the trade to DC has given him a new lease on life. So far I have been very impressed.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Columbus, not Columbia....

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for pro-Caps decisions, but this rule is just stupid.

At minimum, they need to change the language and remove "automatic" from the rule.

Ideally, they'd just say that the fines and suspensions are "rescinded 90% of the time" thus making the rule worthless.

The guy who made this rule is the same idiot who thinks you can call a dive and a trip on the same play.

Posted by: CF11555 | January 16, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,
Any idea if the league is considering any kind of discipline on Colton Orr for that hit on Green late in the 3rd? Green may not have been injured, but it's clear beyond a doubt that Orr's intention was to do just that.

Green's extremely lucky that he's not mourning the loss of several front teeth. The way his head snapped back he's lucky his neck wasn't injured and the way he hit the ice (including his helmet) he's lucky he didn't get his bell rung.

Colton Orr clearly was looking to take Green out of the game. Green was no where near the puck, Orr was head-hunting plain and simple. Injury or not, if the intent to injure is clear, there should be consequences for the player who intended to cause injury.

Posted by: Hordedog | January 16, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

@Hordedog

Orr was not headhunting. If he was he would have knocked Green into next week. It was incidental contact (interference, good call by the refs), but he was by no means looking to run Green. Watch it again in slow motion, you will see Orr try to stop.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about Orr trying to stop. Neither player was skating fast when they hit and Orr put his stick to the chest and gave Green a shot. If he wasn't trying to hit him, he would have just bumped into him instead of going with the short cross-check. Players collide all the time at that speed without knocking each other down. He wasn't trying to hurt him or anything, but he had a chance to give Green a bit of a cheap shot and did it. The penalty given was appropriate for what happened. It wasn't an intent to injure.

Posted by: Stu_c | January 16, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Dave, you got it. Orr just happened to be skating toward Green, away from the puck, with his stick up, late in a game when his team was getting its butt kicked. It was all innocent, just like it always is with Orr. He is a victim of malicious slander.

Posted by: zmega | January 16, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Take a look for yourself during the slow motion replay. If you are not familiar with ice skating notice Orr points the toes of his skates inward at the last moment (snow plowing) trying to stop. He also lifts his right leg to lessen the impact. His stick was chest high, no where near Greens head.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

TominFl - "The reason we still need fighting in the game is because the officiating doesn't yet address some of the fouls...The NHL won't clean things up because the league wants the retaliation. It's the league's fault. Call the fouls properly and the Colton Orrs will be gone from the game." (Previous thread)
This is the essence of the problem. The officiating is terrible, with last night being example A. The league accepts the poor officiating, because a portion of its fan base demands the goonery. So the situation is not going to change anytime soon. The question is - what should the Caps do to protect their players?

Posted by: zmega | January 16, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

No offense but last night game was called very well. Not sure what you're talking about...

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The NHL Network is rebroadcasting the game right now from 2 - 4 pm. I am recording to watch at my leisure. For me it is in HD, Ch 1009 on Cent FL Bright House Network. Anyone else who wants to watch those scrums again, turn on the TV.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

FLDave: I will watch the replay and judge for myself. Be that as it may, even if Orr tried to stop, he still gave Green a pretty stiff crosscheck. It could have been worse, it could have been better (ever see Gretzky do that?). Someone during the fighting debate brought up why tehre isn't fighting in baseball, football and BB. Well, the answer, is those sports have far less tolerance for the kind of game Colton Orr brings to the rink. No wonder BB has no fights, you can't even push w/o a technical.

Orr may not have given Green all he could, but my guess is he could have easily made the hit far softer. 2 for interference was a lame call. 4 for crosschecking would have been better. Then the goonery that followed might have been averted. And, if you avert goonery, you don't need goons.

The other night I compared fighting in hockey to guns. Both are necessary evils as deterrents. Get rid of criminals and terrorists, you don't need guns; call hockey the way basketball is officiated, you don't need fighting.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I said in the last thread that I did not think Orr's hit was intentional. From the fim in the link above, I've got to change that. Orr saw Green all the way and saw that he was not paying attention and clocked him up high -- much like he did to Ovi 3 years ago when he played for the Rags

Posted by: Sonyask | January 16, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

OK Dave, I get it - you're yanking my chain. Hockey players (I played, BTW) don't "snow plow" to stop - maybe skiers on the bunny slope, but hockey players hockey stop. Orr's toes were pointed in because he was bending his knees to deliver a blow. His right knee went up as he jumped into the hit - his left skate left the ice too. He saw Green looking the other way, lined him up and delivered a blow, extending his arms on the hit. His intent was doubtless to intimidate. I doubt Orr worries a lot about whether he is injuring anyone. If he did, he would probably be in another line of work.

Posted by: zmega | January 16, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

It's terrific Chimera will be available for tomorrow's game. After a lackluster first half-dozen contests, Jason's been great these last two.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 16, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

You are never going to rid the world of terrorism or criminals. Thus, I carry a pistol everyday.

If 95% of the NHL teams have a guy with a pistol in the roster isn't it common sense to have a gunslinger of your own?

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Orr's hit was cheap, but it could have been a lot worse. He was just letting Green know he was there and deserved the penalty he got, nothing more. I'm really liking Flash at center. With Knuble starting to fill the role that he was brought in for, two solid scoring lines will be needed for the playoffs, with the third line chipping in occasionally. I can't wait for Varley to get back. We need him in playoff form when the playoffs start.

Posted by: tomdchancar | January 16, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Colton Orr

NHL Totals up to 2008/2009 season

GP - 245
G - 4 A - 7 Pts - 11 PIM - 549

he's not in the NHL because of his puck-handling skills... it's kinda ridiculous to defend his existence as a hockey player.

Posted by: joek443 | January 16, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

I played hockey for close to 15 years. By the time the collision took place there was no time for a hockey stop.

If Orr "launched" himself into Green I can gaurantee you that Green would have been seriously injured.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I liked Chris Clark a lot for what he brought off the ice (not so much on). However, he JUST scored his first point with Columbus, in his tenth game. That trade looks so good on GMGM right now as, I'm not sure about everyone else, but I am loving what 25 is bringing to this team.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 16, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

I dare you to say that to Orrs face during a game :)

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave: Are you really Gilbert Arenas? I hope you're kidding about the pistol, man.

I think Orr's hit was intentional and intimidating, especially after reviewing it many times. Who knows if there was an intent to injure? Orr does, and not us. I just dang glad that by some miracle Green wasn't injured. The officiating was pretty good last night, but I think Orr should have gotten more than a 2 minute minor.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 16, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

FLDave: I played for 16 years (including 2 in the QMJHL) and I tend to agree with what you say. It looked really bad, but I don't think Orr's hit was as bad as some people made it out to be. His stick had no business being that high, no one can deny that, but I think it was more just a collision between he and Green. I also agree that he could have killed Green if he had intended to. Those guys are moving so fast, sometimes unfortunate collisions like that happen. All that being said, Orr's stick should not have been in the air like it was. It was definitely a penalty, but in all unbiasedness (I can't believe that's a word) it was not a suspendible offence.

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 16, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@kitty...glad to see your always insightful comments.
re fights- it's obvious to me that the NHL allows, if not encourages, fights in order to attract, or perhaps not risk losing, a certain portion of fans. I believe that if they were to ban fights, they may very well lose those fans that go wild when a fight breaks out, but I think they would pick-up many, many more fans that now avoid the NHL because of the fights.
As long as fights and "enforcers" (read that "goons") are allowed, I think that it would be smart to have one bad-a** tough guy on our team. I think that it would avoid these border-line attacks we've seen lately on our guys. Yes, the Caps defend each other and Brads does more or less assume the role of having to jump in and mix it up, but Lord knows he's no enforcer. More often than not he ends up on the short end of the deal. It's almost like we're sacrificing him because he's the only one with "cojones" and willing to do it. It's apparent that we got Chimera to assume this role, but up to last night he had chosen to join the Caps core of elite, talented, goal scoring forwards.
I know that those who disagree will point out that we're one of the top teams in the league in points and in PP goals, so why change? Well, I agree; but why risk losing one of our top guys to a serious injury when we can continue to win games and amass points with just one addition to the squad? What do you think?

Posted by: scmonty1 | January 16, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

So, since Orr didn't actually kill or paralyze Green, the hit was OK? Got it.

Posted by: zmega | January 16, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

FLDave: I agree as long as there's a gunslinger around, you need gun too - even if it's your sheriff carrying one. HOWEVER, I'd rather have a sheriff on my team who has redeeming value otherwise than have the bounty hunter who kills merely for pleasure and money.

I don't want a Brash or an Orr, because I wouldn't want to give up one of the current 4th line guys for that. I'm hoping when Della Rovere is ready that he'll be a blend of skill, sandpaper and toughness.

A guy who could do that for us, someone who is struggling now, is Laich. By adding another dimension to his game he would add to his value and come up with a way to better contribute when his offensive game isn't clicking.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I dunno...Detroit's done pretty well without an enforcer the past, what 10 years...which includes 4 finals and 3 cups.

Posted by: jsnyd1 | January 16, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

aldred, have to respectfully disagree. seen the play 10 times. orr definitely was going after green. he glided in from the blue line and was looking to lay him out. maybe not with the stick up high, but he intended to hit him when he was unsuspecting and clearly without the puck.

suspendable, probably not without blood. but i think a double minor could have been appropriate. orr serves a singular purpose at that point in the game. he's not going to score any goals and hes probably not going to do much to prevent the caps from scoring more goals either. he's allowed to be on the ice, but his reputation should be taken into consideration when determining intent.

as for an enforcer for the caps. at the point when orr hit green there were six minutes left in the game. lets say brash was on the bench at that point. does it deter orr from doing that? probably not. he knows he's getting a two and a five if not more. game over. if brash is on the ice, does he do it. probably. he's fought brash before and he is obviously not afraid of it. he's there to send a message. what message? i'm not sure. the leafs and caps are done playing each other. the leafs arent going any where and orr certainly doesnt need to establish any reputation out there does he? if he's on the flyers or pens, maybe message sending is appropriate although i'm not really of the mind that it does any good except to make for good watching the next game.

btw, the league seems to be taking an appropriate stance on the 5 minutes or less instigator rule. i dont think chimera deserved the instigator penalty anyway, but clearly it didnt meet the intent of the suspention rule in the first place. when properly applied, the rule makes sense. i would like to have seen the instigator rule not be applied to sha mo either.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 16, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

I really do carry a pistol everyday. However, my profession is not basketball :)

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Still don't get it, still won't get it. The Caps do not need a full-time enforcer.

BTW, I tend to agree with Aldred and FLDave regarding the hit. Incidental contact. Orr's a POS, but that particular play didn't seem malicious.

"The instigator rule is the worst rule in professional sports history."

Posted by: richmondphil | January 16, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Orr was penalized and I believe the penalty was fair. Had he 'intended' to injure Green I can assure you he would have.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Colton Orr wasn't trying to slow down, and his knee came up as part of a follow through. He saw Green all the way. In fact, you can see his skates left the ice after the hit. I don't know much about Colton Orr's playing style or if he's made bad hits in the past, but this one was definitely preventable, and dirty.

Posted by: firehorse | January 16, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

In a perfect world I would want a Scott Stevens type player over a pure goon. Unfortunately players cut out of that clothe are few and far between. Until we can find a player like that I believe at minimum we need someone we can call up from Hershey for rivalry games/against teams like the Leafs that load their lineup with goons.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

So you can understand the intricacies of what constitutes as a dirty or clean hit, but you don't know anything about Colton Orr's style?

Posted by: richmondphil | January 16, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm watching the NHl Network rebroadcast now and it's the TSN feed. I think this is what richmondphil watched last night. Anyway, about ten minutes in, and, as I think phil pointed out, here comes the Jeff Schultz love from the announcers. They put up a graphic on the screen, top 5 plus/minus players over the last four years:

Lidstrom, Keith, Campbell, Rafalski and JEFF SCHULTZ.

Now, if all the players were from the same team, you could say they fed off each other. But Schultz? On the Caps? He hardly ever gets any points himself, so it must be his play, pure and simple.

Like it or lump it (as some lipstick wearing Penguins like to say), he's a good player. I'm thinking he could go on the RFA market next July 1st and get a THREE MILLION DOLLAR/YEAR DEAL. That's $3M with a 3 and an M. And that's dollars, not rubles.

Yes, you heard it right. McPhee's gonna have his hands full with Backie, Schultz, Flash and Fehr. I have em at 6.5, 1.75, 3.3 and 2.0. With Schultz and Flash, the price has been going up. Backie too is adding to his game.

GMGM: Sign em quick while we can afford em!

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, they loved Schultz.

Direct quote from them, "Schultz is the best kept defensive secret in the NHL."

Posted by: richmondphil | January 16, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Fldave, all these guys carry sticks. Anyone can injure someone if they want to. We are lucky green wasn't hurt. Anytime you hit an unsuspecting player the chance of injury us greater. When you hit him up high with your stick, I would guess it increases.

I'm not rattling around in orr's melon, but I can assure you, with that guy in that situation no contact is incidental.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | January 16, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

FLDave: We had Sugden, but he bolted. At this point in the season, it's hard to acquire someone like that who you can bring up and down w/o waivers. The Caps though have cap room to get a player who could be the 23rd player on the roster and only play now and then. Problem is you'd have to sit one of best the PK guys (Laing) so you could dress a guy who would then leave us short-handed. We absolutelty can't sit one of the top three line guys and you can't sit Steckel or Bradley, so you'd need to sit Laing and Gordo to get this guy on the ice. No, I'd only want this if the guy can contribute. We need better defense from our forwards, not less defense because we've dressed a goon.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: firehorse | January 16, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Really, you don't know about Orr? Three years ago he leveled a similar hit on Ovechkin and nearly knocked him out. Got a multi-game suspension. Similar in that Ovi, like Green, was unsuspecting and Orr put his hands and stick right up in the face.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 16, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

The run Orr took at Ovechkin was purely an intent to injure. He tried to steam roll him. It was far different than the Green hit. Orr didn't take extra strides or come in full force. Also, Orrs stick did not touch Greens face.

You guys are really making more out of this than it is worth. I am all for having an enforcer, but I wouldn't expect our enforcer to go after Orr after the Green hit.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Apparently we do have an enforcer. Kow who it is?

ShaMo.

That's right, ShaMo went after Orr both after the Green hit and after the Ovi hit too. Pretty impressive for Morrison to get into fisticuffs with Orr both times.

And, no I don't think it was as intense a hit against Green, but in both cases Orr saw that he was going to hit a player who was looking elsewhere and he led with his stick and hands in and around the face.

Posted by: Sonyask | January 16, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Morrisonn 'went after' Orr and then turtled. Morrisonn did absolutely no damage to Orr, it was more of a gesture than anything. Morrisonn was lucky to skate away without needing stitches or help off the ice.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

99.99% of the people: I will smash your face into a hockeyrink halfwall, and take your goon, Colton Orr, to a nice potine dinner and never call him back

FLDave: Colton Orr is a saint.

JSchon: Hey lets leave useless goons out of this.

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

you wanna know what GMGM thinks about fighting. watch him take on rick tocchet!

Posted by: natresgroup | January 16, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 4:23 PM |

@FLDave: I'm not too sure Arenas' profession is going to be basketball much longer! I hope you're a law enforcement professional, or, at the very least, I hope you never have a reason to pull out that pistol. Good discussion today.

I'm a little nervous about tomorrow's game. I'll be rocking the red and doing all the superstitions in earnest.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | January 16, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Rick Tocchet, he's arguably the kind of guy we could use, a player who can mix it up AND play.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl

Maybe TB will fire him?

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Phil: 4 minutes into the 3rd, and they just made the "mosyt underrated d-man" comment re Schultz, also saying he and Green had this "wonderful chemistry going."

Do they realize 52 and 55 have only been together shortly?

If this stuff is true, look for Green and Schultz to stay together and ShaMo is very likely gone by next year and they compliment each other well. Poti could play then with Carlson next year and Alzner could be paired with either Erskine or a "right-handed defenseman to be named later."

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

FLDave has actually stumbled onto one of the real issues here. From the Caps perspective, the first question is whether they need to upgrade their physical presence. It is my impression that there is a consensus on CI (for what that's worth) that we need one or more players who are tough but can still play hockey, i.e., not a Colton Orr, but maybe a Steve Downie-type player.

The second point is the one that Dave makes. If we have an enhanced physical presence, how do we use it? As Dave notes, Morrisonn going after Orr is like a fly buzzing around my head. Morrisonn, well intentioned as he was, provides no deterrence, i.e., no fear factor, no reason for other teams not to run our skill players. Given the way the NHL enforces these matters (basically, not at all or even perversely providing greater penalties for the skill team), there is no reason for teams not to send their Orrs against our Greens. I think that the only way that other teams back off is if they fear similar harm to their skill players. Not an ideal solution, I know, but can anybody come up with a better alternative? I just don't want to see another playoff season with Green ineffective due to injuries, particularly injuries that are goon-inflicted.

Posted by: zmega | January 16, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

can you think of any sport in which a MARGINAL player like Colton Orr - I use that term really loosely here - gets talked about all friggin' day anywhere???

no wonder they just cannot grow the sport in this country.

Posted by: joek443 | January 16, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

The Semin set-up for Poti was as nice as Gretzky and Coffey ever made it look.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

On the news and comments in this thread:

1) There's a method to the madness for GMGM in the Alzner thing. Giving him at least 5 games in Hershey so he can play for them during the Olympic break. Playing with the Bears is certainly a better use of him time (and gives him more minutes) than being on a long break.

2) Glad Semin can play tomorrow and that nothing is seriously wrong with his wrist. (But I assume it still hurts.)

3) The Caps have certainly been playing the thuggish teams as of late (i.e. Tampa Bay and Toronto). And Bradley and Chimera (among other people) willing to take one for the team (in the fighting department).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

With all due respect, wasn't Chimera an upgrade in the physical presence area?

And Green got hurt last year on a clean hit.

The Caps have scored 32 goals in the last 6 games. The only thing an enforcer would deter is us getting more goals. If someone is going to take a run at one of our guys, it's going to happen no matter what. Even if we had an enforcer, he wouldn't have been on the ice at the time Green got hit. The only thing that would happen after that, is an enforcer gets sent out and fights someone else (and considering the time left in the game, suspended for the next day). Problem with that is, that's not the sort of way BB operates anyways. He's more concerned with scoring goals, that's why Brashear is in NY now.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | January 16, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

Where did I say Orr was a saint? He's an enforcer for the Maple Leafs, that does not make him Charlie Manson.

Like it or not, Orr is a cleaner player than our beloved Dale Hunter.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@dccitizen1

I would never fire at someone unless they were firing/preparing to fire at me. My profession requires me to carry.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

What a dinner! Crab cakes, cole slaw, french fries, onion rings and sliced tomatoes.

So, you're thinking, "If the Caps aren't playing, tominfl1, how do you decide what to eat?"

BALTIMORE RAVENS.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@Capcrazy77

Our enforcer would have been sticking to Orr like velcro. We had the advantage of putting players on the ice after Toronto. Orr hits the ice, our enforcer hits the ice.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Like it or not, Orr is a cleaner player than our beloved Dale Hunter.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 6:16 PM

FLDave: You have violated the 32nd Commandment in the Capitals Faith.

"Thou shalt honor thy Hunter."

That means you don't cross him, you don't speak ill, you don't mention his name and a certain #77 for the Islanders in the same sentence and you don't even begin to insinuate he ever did anything except WALK ON ICE.

I'm going to walk (nay; I will run) into my living room (aka the Hockey Shrine) where Hunter's jersey hangs with 6 other Caps jerseys and, gazing upon the numerals "32," ask that this transgression be ignored.

Say three Hail Hunters and one Our Ovechkin and you, my son, shall be forgiven.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I am jealous of your dinner. All I had was some pasta.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | January 16, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

My re-play of last night just got to the latter part of the 3rd period.

Orr skated, slowly, right at Green while Green was no where near the puck and was looking the other way. And then Orr hammered him with stick way raised.

What was going through Orr's mind:

"He's not looking...I got him...I GOT him...I GOT HIM!" BOOM!

Orr, maybe, at the last second, had a flash of fear for retribution from the league and let up a SMIDGEN. Otherwise, Green was toast.

Anyway, if you want to clean up hockey, you suspend Orr. No way was this a "hockey play" any way, ship or form.

Campbell: Send a message. Give the bum a one-game suspension.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

The only problem I have with that then, is that we're matching lines for their enforcer and forcing ourselves to play a style we don't. I just feel that getting an enforcer is a step in the wrong direction. It's not like one would be of any use during the playoffs anyways.

I know I'm in the minority today, and that's ok. Ultimately we're rolling along quite nicely, and have a bunch of games coming up against teams we love to hate. It'll be fun to watch.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | January 16, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Capcrazy77: They WERE good.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Sure, just rub it in. Your post on your dinner did prompt me to make some popcorn and put old bay on it though. Not bad, but still not even close.

Posted by: Capcrazy77 | January 16, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave

It was a joke. Anchorman reference.

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

ZING! Went right over my head...

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I didn't say that was a bad thing. I loved watching him drive players heads into the corner piece of glass on the benches. I think he alone was the reason for the padding you find there now. My favorite moment is when he broke Ulf Samuelsons cheek bone during a fight.

A dirty player on the other team is a goon, disgrace to hockey, etc. A dirty player on our team is simply giving his all, playing with heart, etc.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Red wine w/steak at lunch.

White wine w/crab cakes for dinner.

Now it's time to ROCK THE PURPLE!

Hmmm. How to do that? Let's see...whiskey; lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit (stolen from the widow's tree) juice; and Razz-ma-Tazz...and we will ROCK THE PURPLE!

After the Super Bowl, Caps can sign Ray Lewis as our crease-clearing and snarling defenseman.

Wow...never thought of it...I have #52 jerseys in two sports.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

My point was that Orr DID let up. He could have really Wiley Coyote'd Green but didn't.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Dave: I think I was at the game when Caps beat Pens 6-4 (shorty by Cote) when Dale got five for crosschecking Ulfie in the mouth. It was like Thanksgiving weekend 1993.

Turkey never tasted so good.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

OK, I replaced the whiskey with gin and added fresh tangerine juice. It's not quite purple, but close.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

I am thinking of the game where they both dropped their mitts and squared off. Ulf had his half shield on. Hunter drove a right into Ulf's face catching part of the shield and breaking his cheek bone.

Then to pour salt in the wound the next Caps vs Pens game Ulf was getting lippy with Hunter and Hunter rubbed his own cheek bone (same side as the one he broke on Ulf). I was several rows up so I have no idea what he said. Hunter had some zingers though.

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

random thoughts as usual:

It was nice to see Semin go over and give Theo a quick bit of encouragement after Theo got run over. I thought it was very thoughtful.. and teamlike!

Also, if Semin cant speak English how do he and Mike Green carry on conversations during games? They sat and talked for about five minutes last week, so yeah, Semin can communicate with this team mates. I also saw him and BB talking during practice during training camp. It definitely was a conversation.

Posted by: kmr2r | January 16, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FLDave | January 16, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

FYI, don cherry is running his mouth again. On his latest coaches corner, he first mispronunced coach Boudreau's name (saying Broudeur like Marty), and then accused him of running up the score (against his favorite team). Talk about not thinking before you open your mouth...

Posted by: rademaar | January 16, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

@kmr2r

I've noticed that Semin is usually one of the first guys to congratulate a teammate for scoring when he's on the ice. He usually looks happy when Flash scores, for example.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

@FLDave,

I just watched the replay, and to a certain extent I have to disagree with you. What isn't clear in the replay is that he did NOT intend to make that hit.

The fact that he, doesn't take extra strides, or skate through doesn't prove he wasn't trying to hit him. He could have clutched, as that speed, and if you see how fast he spins to fight, you get a good sense of how agile he can be when he wants to be. Also, as turning the skates in to 'snow plow' gives him extra leverage for the slow speed check. So, that doesn't prove he didn't want to nail green either. His knee and arms come up, and he cleaned out a player well away from the puck.

Did he mean to injure? Who knows? But the hit was definitely intentional, and pretty dangerous, watch it again.

Posted by: gconrads | January 16, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

@rademaar

I guess Cherry can't keep the French names straight. To him, Boudreau sounds like Brodeur which sounds like Beaudry. (Okay, the name Beaudry is not related to hockey but ....)

Is Cherry showing his anti-French Canadian bias or what?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

On the Ravens:

The music for the occasion should be the Blues Travelers song "Run Around" that includes some of Edgar Allen Poe's famous words "Once upon a midnight dreary" which was titled "The Raven". Yes, that's who the Ravens were named for. So we need a song invoking Poe.

Yes, our household is rooting for the Ravens tonight.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

More like his general stupidity and lack of simple thought before he opens his mouth. I mean, Boudreau running up the score against his longtime favorite NHL team? Really Don?

Posted by: rademaar | January 16, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Don Cherry is a doofus.

Why hasn't the league done anything to the teams that take runs at us at the end of games? I mean, Chimera gets the instigator penalty for sticking up for his teammate who Toronto took a run at and he gets an instigator penalty?

If this crap was happening in Pittsburgh, the league would stepped in immediately and put a stop to it. Why not for us? Can you say hypocrisy? (a better question is can I spell that?)

Posted by: jmurray019 | January 16, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

FYI

Just trolling on the Flyers boards and found a thread under the heading "Orr just leveled Green"...

Overall overwhelming consensus, cheapshot on Green, and Orr is notorious for going after star players. Youtube link was available too.

Posted by: JSchon | January 16, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon

If even Flyers' fans believe that Orr cheapshotted Green, it's probably true. I figure Flyers fans would be objective about a game between Toronto and Washington since they have no real rooting interest.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

@rademaar

So what's eating Gilbert Grape (AKA Don Cherry)?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

FLDave: Yes, that's the game I was talking about. Hunter got five for stick to Ulfie's mouth as part of the penalties. I said Thanksgiving 1993, it was actually 1992. Go back and check, Caps won 6-4 I'll bet.

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 16, 2010 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Any news on how Hershey did tonight? The last report I had is that they were winning at some point during first period.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Never mind. I checked out the AHL site and found out they won 7-2. The game was chock full of penalties.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 16, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

The Ravens killed themselves tonight. That was absolutely awful. The Ed Reed interception that became a fumble made me want to throw my nachos at the screen. And I'm a Bengals fan...

Posted by: Aldred15 | January 17, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

The Penguins lost to Vancouver tonight. Pens scored first. Then Vancouver scored 5 unanswered goals, pulling ahead on a shortie.

The Pens pulled their rookie goalie and replaced him with an even younger goalie.

Pittsburgh is down to tender aged goal tenders or could we say a tender 'tender.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 12:57 AM | Report abuse

ahhhhh, senseless babble :)

now to an important topic - when is varly coming back?

we have heard nothing people, nothing :)

Posted by: RAJSTAR | January 17, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Hershey Bears are ridiculous. They are averaging just over 4 goals a game. They've scored 25 more goals than the next highest team in the league - and oh yeah, they have the best scoring defense in the league, as well.

Posted by: GrimReefa | January 17, 2010 5:22 AM | Report abuse

@GrimReefa

The question is: why are they so good?

Is it gaining experience by playing in games for the Caps?

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 5:42 AM | Report abuse

@FLDave

Come on, dude. Sticking up for Orr?

Posted by: hlalor | January 17, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

BIG game this afternoon! GO CAPS!

and lol @ the Pens!! =)

Posted by: rachel216 | January 17, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Who's starting for Philly? I read somewhere Ray Emery is ready to go.

Posted by: rachel216 | January 17, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse

@Orr:

From the view of Orr, the play was excellent! He hit Green with a cheap shot intentionally, "sending a message" without beeing to "hard" and therefore not beeing suspended for it ...

... he has learned from the multi-game suspension following the hit on Ovie ...

... just 2 for interference ...

@todays game:

Ray Emery in goal? Great - if I remember correct, he was a little bit generous in the last game the Caps played the Flyers ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Hey Rachel,

The Inquirer article says all three (Bouch, Emery and Leighton) are ready to go, but Lavie won't say until game time. Emery took more shots yesterday at Voorhees, and the Philly dogs are betting on Emery. Who knows?

Posted by: NorthFork1 | January 17, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

@GrimReefa

I guess the Hershey Bears are too good for the AHL.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

@rajstar -- It looked like Varly was coming out onto the ice at Kettler for some work yesterday. He's crossing behind Mike Vogel in this clip at about 13 seconds. http://capitals.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=418&id=57367

Posted by: miseaujeu | January 17, 2010 9:48 AM | Report abuse

We were at the Caps kids event at practice yesterday. Indeed, Varly came out and worked with Irbe after the regular practice was finished. He was not pushing it but definitely looked like he was moving well.

Everyone was there except for Semin--our son was jumping up and down pointing out the players and he loved how they ended the main practice with a shooting accuracy game--Ovi was playing up to the crowd a bit but he takes his winning very seriously (he lost the final round). Overall the practice was very cool--not a hard one but watching the transition drills was fascinating.

But the best part was later, first in the autograph session--which was just for the kids--Chimera and Carlson signed his jersey. Then as we were leaving the lot we were right behind Green in his lamborgini (spelling?). Tough call as to which part was the best but for him it might have been Green and his sportscar.

We will be rockin' the red today--hope they come out strong. GO CAPS.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | January 17, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

come on guys....get over the orr hit. it was a good call and if orr was going to hurt green and take a penalty, he wouldn't have done it half a$$ed. pretty much every armchair gm here has been proven wrong thinking they know more about the team/game than gmgm and bruce. bruce is vocal enough and he even thinks orr tried to pull up and protect himself. bruce, who calls out any and everyone for everything would have leveled orr in the press conference if he thought there was intent to injure....that and ov would have been running toronto the rest of the game!

Penguins look like crap right now and could easily move out of the playoffs if fluery and johnson don't return soon. happy new year!!!

go caps....beat filthy today and keep climbing back to 1!!!

Posted by: CapsSkins | January 17, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

@hlalor

Just calling it as I saw it. I really don't think he was headhunting Green, obviously the Caps didn't think so either. I haven't seen where they are calling for Orr to be suspended.

Is it 3PM yet!?!?

Posted by: FLDave | January 17, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Agree with CapsSkins...time to move on...BB said after the game he was just glad Orr's stick wasn't 6" higher, and that was pretty much it. The bigger question, at least for me, is what in the world was Ronnie (I wear my welcome out pretty quickly) Wilson thinking about by "sending out the clowns". Message? What message? That the Leafs suck? We already know that. That the Leafs are a huge disappointment this year? We know that too. Even the Toronto papers called Wilson and Burke out for the goofiness at the end of the game. If I were Canadian, I'd be happy that Wilson is coaching team USA in the Olympics...maybe the result will be different than the one in Saskatoon.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | January 17, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Random Sunday thoughts:
Just finished reading Gabby, gotta love the coach. And what IS Don Cherry's deal? He wrote the foreward for BB, for crying out loud.

Does anyone know if or where there might be bus trips to Hershey, esp during the Olympic break?

Can't wait for today's game agains Philthy, glad Chimmer will be there.
Go Caps!

Posted by: bluejeener1 | January 17, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

All Don Cherry needs to complete the picture is grease paint, bigger buttons, and funny shoes. He's just a clown these days. Last year when he got on his soapbox about Ovie's 50 goal "hot stick" celebration, someone posted something about "farm boys from western Canada" taking him seriously. A post in response from a "farm boy from western Canada" said, "we don't listen to him either." Nuff said. He's a moron.

Posted by: NorthFork1 | January 17, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Schultz gettin the love from NHL.com -- nice:

Posted by: Sonyask | January 17, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

@NorthFork1:

I agree, time to move on ...

However, you brought just another relevant aspect onto the table regarding enforcers: the coaches ...

However, how will the D-pairing be for the Caps?
Will Carlson play?
And I hope for a solid game for Theo - a .937 save pct. against the Flyers is not bad at all - I hope he can keep it up ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

According to espn.

The odds-on favourite is the Caps," a league exec told the Ottawa Sun. "(GM) George McPhee is sneaky on these kinds of deals. He lays in the weeds and gets things done. He's got the prospects and the picks to do this as a rental.Can you imagine Kovalchuk and (Alex) Ovechkin together"

Posted by: samb99 | January 17, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Isn't it great? I can watch the Caps play over here ... 3:00 PM ET is a very good starting time IMHO ;-) ...

... and I will Rock The Red with:

Glenmorangie "The Quinta Ruban"

Go Caps!

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

@samb99

Maybe GMGM gets Kovalchuk and then use him to get the D-man, we were talking about on this board ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

... and yes, I can "imagine Kovalchuk and (Alex) Ovechkin together" ...

... playing for Russia ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1

Will Carlson play?

If Pothier and Erskine are still not ready to go today, he certainly will play.

The question is, what will happen if one of them is ready to play. They would more likely send Carlson back to Hershey if it looks like he'll be a "healthy" scratch for more than one day in a row.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1

And I guess Kovy will ride in the same private jet that is taking Ovi to Russia.

(Seriously, if Ovi really bolts to the KHL, his contract isn't worth more than the paper it was printed on.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | January 17, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

@FCKoeln1

I assume you are talking about the Olympics and not both of them going to the KHL.

Posted by: icehammer97 | January 17, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97

Yes, and I am curious to see, how they will play together ...

as someone asked: are there enough pucks for both? ;-)

... and Russia, I think, will be Kovalchuk's team ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

FCKoeln1

what if the market is not their for a dman. would we want sheldon souray and his cap number for the next two years at his age. it does not look nidermyer wants to move he already has several cups. so getting another d man is priority but it needs to be better than what we have currently.

Posted by: samb99 | January 17, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Hey guys, totally off-topic but take a look. Varly needs help designing his Olympic mask:

Posted by: kittypawz | January 17, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

I hope Erskine can play this afternoon. The Caps need all the toughness they can put on the ice. I would love to see Erskine clean Carcillo's clock as payback for his cheap shot on Bradley.

Posted by: FLDave | January 17, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

yeah the Caps REALLY REALLY lack a high scoring winger and they REALLY REALLY need a player like Kovalchuk on this team... they should give up everything to get him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: joek443 | January 17, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

some of you people pay way too much attention to fantasy hockey and not enough to REAL hockey...

Posted by: joek443 | January 17, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

joek443

By posting a link from a public domain is just that. share with caps fans what has been published. does not indicate a preference. we all recognize the need for a d. sometimes a good trade for a dmen does not exist. time to get away from fantasy to reality

Posted by: samb99 | January 17, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

real hockey, indeed,

I am waiting for information regarding our lines ...

... will Erskine play?

... will Carlson getting "cheap-shots" from the Flyers as the Leafs tried to do?

... will Carcillo trying to make up for his "mistake" in the previous game?

...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | January 17, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

You have to keep in mind what Kovalchuck would cost Washington. The pay off IMHO would not be worth what we would have to give up.

Upfront we have more fire power than we need. The blue line is where the Caps need help. Without the addition of an impact defensive D man I don't see the Caps going past the second round in the post season.

Posted by: FLDave | January 17, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I don't think GMGM is a genius but I don't think he's dumb enough to go after Kovy either.

the WORST move David Poile ever made was to trade for Al Iafrate when they were already stacked on defense, giving up Bob Rouse.. a real solid d-man who helped the Caps a more games than Big Al ever did

Posted by: joek443 | January 17, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

I thought's Poile's worst ever moves were:

1) Drafting Volchkov with the #6 overall in 1996 I think.
2) Trading Dino Ciccarelli for Kevin Miller and then Miller for Paul Cavallini.
3) Trading Mike Ridley and the #17 overall pick in 1994 to move up to the 10th pick and take Nolan Baumgartner.

Not keeping Scott Stevens was the worst move the franchise ever made, seconded by the trade and signing of Jagr, but both of those moves were done by the owners (Pollin in the first case and Leonsis with Jagr, Jagr trade being with McPhee as GM).

Reverse those five moves and the Caps might have three Cups, but they also would not have Ovechkin. Guess you can never go back, can you?

Posted by: tominfl1 | January 17, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

@CF11555 - Calling "Diving" and Tripping on the same penalty makes more sense if you refer to Diving as "Embellishment". Basically, what has to happen is yeah, Player A got tripped, but he made it look worse than it maybe was so that the referee was Sure to Notice(tm). Hence, both calls.

Stupid, agreed, but still...

Posted by: irockthered | January 17, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

tominfl1

That is pretty close to my list without thinking too hard.

Dino had to be traded after the alledged Georgetown rape incident. He had been previously charged with indecent exposure will with the North Stars. Still Poile should have got MUCH more for Dino than Miller. I actually got through during the intermission program with Poile/Al Koken and blasted him for the trade.

Posted by: FLDave | January 17, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

@joek443

I thought that was a great trade. Rouse was a game stay at home defenseman, but Iafrate was an elite offensive powerhouse with defensive skills. Peter Zezel and Bob Rouse for Iafrate, I'd do that in a heartbeat.

The reason why the deal went down was because a teammate of Iafrate (I think it was Gary Leeman) was sleeping with his wife. Iafrate wanted out of town.

The deal Poile did not pull the trigger on was one of his worst moves. Kevin Hatcher for Steve Yzerman. The deal was in place and Poile backed out last minute.

Posted by: FLDave | January 17, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse