Clark Aiming to Play on Trip

Today's practice was very optional, with many players choosing to head straight for the airport. The Caps play their next six games away from Verizon Center, beginning with tomorrow night's contest in Nashville.

Chris Clark was among the players who did skate, and afterward the team captain confirmed that he plans to travel with hopes of playing, possibly as soon as tomorrow. He said he would wait until the morning before deciding whether or not to suit up. Clark has played only once since Nov. 28 because of a groin tendon injury.

"I'm pushing it more and more each day," Clark said. "If it bounces back quickly, then I can push it further the next day."

Cristobal Huet will start against the Predators, while Olie Kolzig will start Chicago. Kolzig appeared to tweak something late in practice, but later said he did not believe it's serious. If there is an issue, though, Brent Johnson was already scheduled to be on the trip.

General Manager George McPhee, meantime, didn't sound to pleased about being sent on the road during such a critical juncture in the season because of the NCAA mens' basketball tournament and circus.

"That's the conflict you often have," McPhee said. "You would hope the major tenants would get more support than this. You have to look after your teams."

McPhee left it at that. The Caps, by the way, are 15-15-5 on the road this season.

I'm writing a story for tomorrow's paper about the impact of the deadline deals on the Caps' run. The club is 7-3-0 since the deadline (though the record could and should be better) and all three of the new players are making a pretty big impact.

Huet is 3-2-0 with a 1.68 goals against average and .940 save percentage since the trade. Left wing Matt Cooke has two goals and five points, and Sergei Fedorov has a goal, four assists and has been absolutely money on faceoffs.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 17, 2008; 12:34 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Lineup vs. Boston
Next: Big Week Begins Tonight in Music City

Comments

Getting Clark back would be money with this last push for the playoffs.

Posted by: usiel | March 17, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

he has been astounding on the faceoffs, hasn't he?

great news on clarkie!

Posted by: jamebow | March 17, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Brooks Laich says: If you want to be money on face-offs, go to the face-off bank, or something?

Posted by: Ben | March 17, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

MOney

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

So when Clark comes back, how should they play him at first? Obviously best case scenario, he'd be on one of the top two lines, but would that be wise since he's only played once in four months? Should they start him on the fourth line the first couple games to get his legs back, or just throw him out on a top line right off the bat?

Just seeing the general consensus out there. Personally, I think I'd ease him in on the fourth line.

Posted by: kenjab | March 17, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love that circus! I've been going since I was 6!! Actually, I haven't gone since I was 6. What I want to know is why there's still a circus anyway? I thought vaudeville-quality acts went out of style years ago.
And while I appreciate this being a big college Bball town, good lord, there are other arenas on the east coast!

Posted by: Green Machine | March 17, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I think Fleish for Clark on the third line?

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

When is Pothier and Clark coming back? I also want to know when Ranford and Pivonka will be back in the line up?

I have to be first to ask the retarded questions of the day.

Posted by: The whining Opita | March 17, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

One thing for sure: Clark definitely shouldn't play both back-to-back games.

Crazy idea: play him on the first game instead of AO. AO will rest/focus and the boys will put that extra effort. Arg, I'm not sure I like it lol...

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I'm feeling very optimistic.

LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: Travis | March 17, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

That piece sounds like a nice final bon voyage love note for McPhee in anticipation of not making the playoffs this year

Posted by: That Guy | March 17, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Ok, mauree took care of the first retarded comment of the day.

Posted by: JuJubee | March 17, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@JuJubee
lol all righty already! I preambled it with "crazy idea"!!

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure where Clark goes, but I know that I like the fact that we are having trouble figuring out where to put a guy who had been a first line RW. I'd be cool with Clark on any line but probably best on the third or fourth for a game or two to get back into the swing

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 17, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Will Lepistö make the trip?

Posted by: Tomppav | March 17, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like McPhee is saying that when Ted owns the whole deal the Ringling folks will have to find another week to be in the building.

The NCAA's, well, you always make room for that. Great to hear that Clarkie is coming back. Maybe start him on th third line for a bit till he's 100%?

Posted by: EricS | March 17, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm in favor of Clark replacing Flash on the third line.

All in favor, say aye.

Or does that get too many Capitals (Clark, Laich) around the net? Ha, what a silly concept.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 17, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

was thatguy saying Mcphee is gone after this season?

Posted by: Leeguru | March 17, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, you promised to avoid the "P" word and then it pops up in today's headline. Not cool.

Clark belongs on the 2nd line with Fed and Semin.

Posted by: katzistan | March 17, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I think its time to send Fehr back to the farm.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 17, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik-

Why are you and Vogel so intent on bringing "Money" back? Who is behind this? It doesn't sound forced, but it is rather old. Is "money" so old that it's ready to be recycled? Perhaps so. Or maybe "money" actually just found its way to young players from backwater Canada and it's rubbing off on the media guys... I think I even heard/read Ted say it. Weird...

Posted by: bill | March 17, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

UUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!

put Clarky where Flash is, move Flash down/out. I love his speed and I think (hope) he'll be a good player in the near future, but right now he just cut it.

he's ALWAYS missing wide on a shot, losing the puck, etc. and just seems like he hasn't put it all together. maybe he gets too excited or something, I dunno.

Clarky in for Flash...

Posted by: Sam | March 17, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I would like to see Clark on 3 or 4 myself, let him get his legs back, take a couple of goalie sticks to the calf, a couple of cross checks to the back and get some gritty goals, then bring him back to 1 or 2. Man, we need him right now, if for nothing else leadership and composer!

@Tomppav
I really like Lepisto

@The whining Opita
I was wondering when Calle & Gus were due back on the ice!

Posted by: Greenie | March 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Buy the building, Ted!

Posted by: dave | March 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Clark coming back is great. I hope BB has a better idea of what to do with him, because I certainly dont.

You dont touch the 1st line.

Kozlov hasnt been able to do anything without being on the 1st line.

OV/Backstrom/Kozlov

The question is 2nd or 3rd line. My feeling is since Clark is a RW naturally, put him on the 2nd line so Semin can move to the left.

Semin/Fedorov/Clark

Healthy scratch Flash whenever possible. 3rd line.

Cooke/Laich/Fehr

4th line

Brash/Gordon/Bradley

Posted by: JSchon | March 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I'd lean toward 4th line for a game or two for Clarkie. Let him knock the rust off at game speed then move him up.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

I'd rather see him play on a line that he needs to get use to. Why waste 2 or 3 games on a line that he wouldnt normally sniff. Get him on his real line. He would be perfect sitting around the crease letting Fedorov try to educate Semin on how to play real hockey.

Posted by: JSchon | March 17, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,

Where did BB break in Nicky after Hanlon mis-used him the start of the season? Remember how that worked out?

Clark with rust on him is a liability on a scoring line.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Welcome Back Clarkie
Gotta have a Connecticut guy to get the Caps over the hump and into the playoffs!

Posted by: caphcky | March 17, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I noticed there was absolutely no comment in the article about the officiating "mishaps" during yesterday's game, even though Tom Poti publicly criticized the officials in between the second and third periods (admittedly, he was baited by the interviewer's question) and the no call on the interference/trip on Brooks Laich led directly to the Bruins only goal.

Is there a general guidline on if/when/how you address officiating in an article, or did you not feel that it warranted mentioning? If not, why not after the second, how shall we say, interesting officiating performance in 3 games against the Bs?

Posted by: Derek | March 17, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

How close is Steckel to coming back? If Clark's in the lineup, I guess that means no room for Laing, and one of either Steckel or Gordon are going to have to sit each game. Tough one.

Posted by: katzistan | March 17, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Was anyone at the game yesterday? Besides the win the best part of the game....UNLEASH THE FURY!!!

This is definitely the caps new slogan.

Posted by: Jake | March 17, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Well put JSchon - I couldn't have said that statment any better - at first I thought 3rd or 4th, but why wait it's not going to take him long to get back into it, he has been around for some time and knows how to stir things up - plus Semin could use some pointers, why is he seem so lost at times????

Posted by: Greenie | March 17, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

Backstrom is a rookie. Clark is a grizzled veteran.

And to boot, its not like the 2nd line has been lighting it up.

Honestly, we havent done much even up against anybody for several games now, all of our goals are coming off of the power play.

I wouldnt put Clark on the power play, but he doesnt do anything on the Gordon/Brash line.

Posted by: JSchon | March 17, 2008 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Posted by: nvacapsfan | March 17, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Circus - all us bloggers could snag a spot in that circus (no audition required), we have our own circus ring right here!
Ted def. needs to buy the building!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 17, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Tarik ~ why did OV pick up the puck from the net yesterday?

For Fedorov or Backstrom?

Posted by: Jon | March 17, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

"Why not do an article on why the Circus was scheduled during the end of the Caps season when they need all the home games they can get?"

Because we wouldn't need them if we won our home games early on. ALL teams play the same number of home games. GMGM just WHINING a little this morning at practice.

Posted by: caphcky | March 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon,

I hear ya, but still think Clarkie on a scoring line right off of an injury isn't a smart thing. He's going to be a beat slow for a little while, I think he can do less harm on an energy line. Just my opinion.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, maybe its too late to address this, but what was your take on the officiating at the game versus the Bruins? Most in attendance thought it was horrible, but I would be interested in your opinion (since you are less inclined to mass hysteria).

Posted by: dsb | March 17, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I could see Tarik from my seats. Looked like he wanted to join in on the "Ref you SUCK" chant.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

@Greenie

Alex has Alex envy. Semin is always going to the be the other Alex. Now, he is the 3rd Russian. He will constantly try to prove that he is as good as OV. I hope Fedorov rubs off on him a little.

Posted by: JSchon | March 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

@ Jon: Puck went to FEDOROV* since it was his first goal as a Cap.

*in all Caps to denote the correct spelling, poor guy keeps getting his name spelled wrong.

Posted by: SLM | March 17, 2008 1:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure FEDEROV is crying about his misspelled name in a blog. I meant FEDOROFF.

Posted by: JSchon | March 17, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

A couple of folks have asked why I didn't mention the shoddy officiating. I didn't intentionally ignore it, and it definitely was shoddy. But my feeling is that there's at least one bad call a game. In fact, I could probably write a second story almost each night about a missed call or a bad one. Unless a call leads directly to a loss (or a win) it doesn't really matter much the next day. Agree?

Posted by: Tarik | March 17, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

We can all laugh at that! JSchon - how about we stick to FEDS, then we could solve all the spelling errors! HA HA - who started this Circus anyways!
Always notice bloggers using alternative names or abbreviations - hence because we can't spell! Ha Ha Ha!

Posted by: Greenie | March 17, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,
Any news on Pothier today?

Posted by: Greenie | March 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Using logic took all the fun out of bashing the refs. Now we have to find another topic to beat to death.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Good for GMGM for speaking up, though it will not do the Caps one bit of good.

Who knows if/when Ted/Lincoln Holdings will gain control of WS&E? LH has first right of refusal when the Pollins decide to sell, but the Pollin family could decide to hang onto it for years to come.

Glad to hear Clarkie is getting close. Hope he is 100% (or close to it) before his return.

@katzistan - It's one thing for Tarik to ban mention of the "p-word" here on the blog, but not mentioning it in his articles would simply be irresponsible journalism. That is, after all, the big story right now.

@Jon - Ovie is very mindul of scoring milestones of his teammates and takes care to ensure that pucks are retrieved (in this case, for Fedorov's first goal as a Cap) and that credit is given where it's due. It's one of the many signs that he is future captain material.

@Jake - "Unleash the Fury" has been around for probably at least half the season. I guess it is sort of "new" but it doesn't feel that way. It's fun. I think that it's played at other arenas as well, but I'm not sure.

Posted by: Jill | March 17, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't care about the Circus or the NCAA. I have already bought my play off tickets though and will be thrilled if the Caps are in by the time they next come home.

Posted by: Caps 423 | March 17, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I guarantee you that when Leonsis ends up owing the VC, when the NCAA wants to hold a regional there he's going to tell the Caps and Wiz to get out of town too.

Posted by: zamboni | March 17, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Couple of things:

1) Welcome Back Clarkie!!
2) Agree - do not mess with the top line , put Clark on the 4th line to bring him back in - if all goes well, then rearrange as needed.
3) I thnk it was Tie Domi that once said this and i completey agree - the refs should have to come out and answer questions after the games. I understand calls are missed, but if you have to make an explanation to the public as to why you made or didnt make a call - the calls would be a bit more consistent.

Posted by: cs | March 17, 2008 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik, you made a pretty bold comment in your chat last week. You said that Johnson would likely be the backup next year. So that means Olie or Huet are definitely out. Who is going and why are you so certain?

Posted by: Caps Fan in DC | March 17, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

If you want money, you go to the bank.
If you want to know about Pothier, why ask Tarik, ask Pothier's thumb.
And if you want to know how's Clark's groin is doing, go to...

BTW, I am feeling pretty good.

I want
Ovechkin-Fedorov-Kozlov all Russian
Semin-Backstrom-Clark DC United

Posted by: Clark's groin | March 17, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

It's not like the Caps have an arduous 2 week swing through the Western Conference (back in the day) where you face long flights, major time changes, jet lag, etc. The boys will have a nice 3 day break after ATL, then hit the 3 SE rivals. Not especially grueling, I would say.

Posted by: Shaggy | March 17, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Unleash the Fury was originally

Unleash Papa Schultz half slap shot

Since it was too long it was changed to Fury.

Blue line sniper Schultz.

Posted by: Papa Panzer Schultz | March 17, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

What happened on the half slap shot misfire in the third Papa Panzer Schultz?

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

When you hear 'Schultz unleashed the Fury', it means abbreviation for my half slap shot.

Chicks dig me.

Papa Schultz

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 17, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Honestly, I think the Caps may have gotten a makeup call at the end of the second period. The puck Stuart shot did appear to hit the glass before going out of play.

Posted by: John in Mpls | March 17, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@John in Mpls - I agree it was a makeup call, but why do they have to continue to make up calls - beacause they are horrible!
I don't like to complain because the caps take some stupid penalties, but my gosh when the refs start changing the outcomes of games, when will the league address it, and it's not just against the caps, did anyone see the Buffalo/Carolina game??

Posted by: Greenie | March 17, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R

It happens to every guy. Half slap shot is technically very hard to execute and very few in NHL if any do it. For instance, Chara can't do it though he is a couple of inches taller than me...

Fedorov asked me the other day to show him my half slap, but he gave up. You can't teach old dog new tricks, even if it is Fedorov.

But better off with Fedoroff.

There is no 'i' in Jeff Schultz.

Posted by: Papa Schultz | March 17, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Tarik - I agree about not commenting on officiating unless it directly leads to a result, but in this case arguably the non-call did lead to the Bruins getting a point in the standings - could be critical. That said, looking at the replay at home on DVR it wasn't a penalty (they clipped skates). Now the AO diving call...

Posted by: Rob Iola | March 17, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Every team plays 41 home and 41 away, it doesnt matter when they play them. Stop with the excuses George

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@Papa Panzer

"There is no 'i' in Jeff Schultz"

True, but there is a clutz.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

@Jill - Irresponsible journalism is a small price to pay for not jinxing the team.

Posted by: katzistan | March 17, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

There should be no such thing as jinxing in pro sports. Do you think that if you say "accident" in a car you will wreck on the way to work?

Posted by: Rob | March 17, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

What about next year when the Frozen Four is in Verizon. Who do we complain to about that?

This year the Avs may have to do what the Caps had to do against the Pens a few years ago and play the first 2 away from home even with home ice advantage.

Posted by: rascal | March 17, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

NCAA tournament has always been held at Verizon. The only problem is where contending this year so we have a problem. It brings great revenue for the city(Abe to). It one of the best around here with corporate suites.

CAPS haven't done well against there div. That's what it's going to come down to. Games against florida and canes. Florida always has our number and the canes are on fire and we can't beet them either.

It doesn't look good for the div. I like the 8th seed better and hopefully get Montreal in the 1st. We would own them

Posted by: smartfan | March 17, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

@Rob,

"Do you think that if you say "accident" in a car you will wreck on the way to work?"

That "depends".... OK, it's a slow day & I couldn't resist a bad pun.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad to get Clark back ... either on the second or third line works for me. Just as long as Clark bumps Flash from the lineup.

The Ovechkin diving call might be the worst officiating call I've seen against the Capitals all year. Agreed?

Oh well. Bruins outhustled the Capitals for portions of the game ... I'm satisfied we got the two points.

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 17, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Hope Clark plays, there's no downside to that at all. We need not worry about how he'll fit into the lineup and will have added depth.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

You Clarkie fans are in for a BIG downer.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | March 17, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Man, I really don't like the "3" point NHL. It seemed to me that the Bruins were just playing to get into OT late in the third period to ensure they get at least a point out of it. It's so hard to move up in the standings with the OT/Shootout losers getting at least a point out of the game.

Now that I have vented, I'm glad Clark may come back soon. Caps really need their captain back. As for the 6 game road trip, well we really can't complain because the Caps knew it was going to happen years ago when they scheduled the NCAA tourney to be played in Verizon. Next year the Frozen Four is going to be in Verizon. So if the Caps some how make it to the playoffs in 09, I have no idea how that is going to work schedule wise.

Posted by: Lowell | March 17, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Next random thought of the day:

Has any rink, pro or amateur ever experimented with painting a solid color under the ice for a hockey game? (Light Blue? Silver?)

I'd think it'd be the perfect minor league gimmick one year - every rink's a different color, maybe some with stripes, dots...

I gotta think that would work better for viewing on tv, especially with teams wearing white home uniforms and with white boards.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen the poll on NHL.com asking which under 25 player will be the next to wear the C? OV is winning, but that brings up a good questiong, do we put it on OV, if so what does that mean for Clark?

Posted by: AP | March 17, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse

There's an older article about the Sabres going with a light blue color...

Posted by: Jeff | March 17, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

I'm really not concerned at all with the road trip. Long road trips are good for team-building and chemistry -- no distractions, just focus on hockey. I think the six on the road and three at home should work pretty well, assuming we can beat the mediocre teams.

I am actually not worried about the Flyers at all -- they play NYR, NJD, and PIT twice more each. I think they disappear. The teams to watch are Buffalo (two blowouts this weekend even with all their injuries) and Florida (who have 9 of 10 games at home, that's right).

Posted by: jammand | March 17, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff

That looks like the ice surface from NHL 94 on Sega.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 17, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

jammond..."Florida (who have 9 of 10 games at home, that's right)."

Florida has 8 games left, and 4 are on the road.

While the Caps don't yet truly "control their fate", if they win the games they should win, they likely will get into the pla.....uh, yea.

Posted by: Jeff | March 17, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

oops -- that should have been addressed to jammand, not jammond.

Posted by: Jeff | March 17, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

@AP The only reason Clark has the "C" now is because Ovie couldn't speak english very well.

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | March 17, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Agree that under Tarik's own standard, the officiating may have warranted two sentences. Didn't they score on the PP that continued even though Brooks was tripped in open ice?

But, can anyone really see anything that specific from the press box of the 400 level seats? High altitude is known to cause vision problemms

Posted by: old time hockey | March 17, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff

Cool link, cool blue, whatever happened to that? I didn't see any reference to a vote on it. The article said the NHL was going to look at it for when the lockout was over. Maybe they were too busy celebrating being back on the ice and it slipped through the cracks?

Posted by: austinsteve | March 17, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scott in Shaw | March 17, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

"If we don't make the playoffs, even from my point of view, it will feel like a failure," goaltender Tomas Vokoun ventured Monday, on an NHL conference call. "But you don't think those kinds of things during the process of the season. I'm focusing on next game and that's Carolina. Obviously, I want to get into the playoffs and everybody here wants to do that too and this franchise needs it, so ...

"We've worked hard to get into the position to have a chance. It would be very bad if we wasted it."

Vokoun did his share last week, backstopping the Panthers to three victories and posting a1.67 goals-against average and .946 save percentage. That earned him the NHL's third star of the week award. Florida has surrendered only nine goals in seven games in March -- Craig Anderson was in goal for back-to-back shutouts during that stretch -- which gave Vokoun a much needed breather.

Posted by: Yo | March 17, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what happens on the radio broadcasts when there is a conflict between the caps game and a nats game?

Posted by: Leeguru | March 17, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to wonder if we should root for Carolina to beat Florida on Thursday. What's more realistic for the Caps, the third spot or the 8th? If the 8th, the Canes knocking off Florida will give the Caps some breathing room. BUT, with one in hand and playing 2 games before Florida does, the Caps could be 4 points up on Florida with Panthers having 1 in hand on Caps. In which case, go Florida on Thursday (I think).

Gotta love this time of year. Thinking too much, brain hurts.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@The whining Opita, Greene, mauree

I beat you all with the dumbass statements last night. Most people will just nibble on their toenails and call it putting their foot in their mouth. I just cram the whole damned leg in! No pussy footing around for me, no sir!

Couldn't even get the damned teams right last night!

Posted by: Greg S. | March 17, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Tis ok Greg S, hardly anyone noticed you munching on your leg.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

@Steve

Good point. I think I'd choose a Panthers' win anyway, but the math/schedule...
You know what, too much math, too many possibilities. Our boys should just relax and win them all :D

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@Rob - You're probably the one responsible for all those late 3rd period goals the Caps have given up. Were you screaming "shutout for Huet!" last Saturday when the Caps were in Boston? Or, "this one's headed to OT" against the Pens on Sunday...?

Posted by: katzistan | March 17, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

@Jeff
We do control our own destiny.
Five points back from Carolina, yes?
Game in hand, with two games to play against them. So, six possible points.
If we win (Hypothetically) every game, that means we're ahead of Carolina by one point, if we assume they win every game that they don't play us.
Technically, destiny is controlled.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | March 17, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

they should have scheduled the circus for the first week of the playoffs - won't be any hockey being played in DC that week.

Posted by: None-Ya | March 17, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

HUGE boost for this team, if Clarkie comes back, tomorrow!

Posted by: elicea | March 17, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Instead of figuring all the scenarios, just cheer for the boys to win them all. If I have to go through another game of actually CHEERING for the PEns, i may have a nervous breakdown. I see 3 of those games on the schedule, and I'm getting too old for that stuff.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 17, 2008 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@Lee,

Look at it as rooting against Philly instead of rooting for the Pens. Rooting against Philly should come fairly easily to everyone here. As should rooting against Buffalo.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

If Clark had any stones he would have given up the "C" already. Laich or Ovechkin deserve it more than a player who hasn't seen the ice in six months. UTF.

Posted by: mark from parkville | March 17, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

@Steve
Nice try. I root against losing the lottery all the time :D

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,

While I agree on the Caps relaxing and winning out the balance of the year, when watching Canes and Fla play I have to root against one of them (which isn't quite the same as rooting for one of them re: Lee and Pens)... I just need to figure out which team to yell at on Thursday night.

Posted by: Steve R | March 17, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

@Steve R
hehe I know it was a lame attempt of humor.

Certainly we don't want a 3 pointers there, I think I'll root for the Canes.

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

hey hone-ya....go bl** a goat

Posted by: pat | March 17, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Tomorrow's games:

Pittsburgh at NY Rangers 7:00 PM Who cares.
Atlanta at Philadelphia 7:00 PM
Calgary at Columbus 7:00 PM Who cares.
St. Louis at Montreal 7:30 PM Who cares.
Toronto at NY Islanders 7:30 PM Who cares.
Washington at Nashville 8:00 PM

Pitts v NYR they're way above us. Doesn't really matter.

Calgary v CBJ No effect on us at all. Ditto SLB v Mon.

Tor v NYI are below us. The outcome (as of tonight) is negligable. I'd root for NYI just to be safe.

Atl v Philly. Go Thrashers!!! I'm afraid after the beating Philly went through, though, they'll be gunning for it. I predict a rough night for Atlanta.

Nashville is a hot team right now. We'd better bring our "A" game if we want to win. This is sick, but, Nash is in 2nd in their Div behind Det by 20 pts. They beat Det 2 nights ago. They'll be well rested.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

@ mark from parkville - So you think Saku Koivu should have had the "stones" to give up the "C" in 2001-2002 while he was having treatment for cancer? Did he "deserve" it less because he was medically unable to play?

Posted by: Jill | March 17, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

huet's been money on faceoffs. cooke's glovehand is a little slow but i like him better than slolaf. I'm glad we gave up petty and a second rounder for fedorov because he's young and only gonna get better.

Go Caps!!!

Posted by: maury | March 17, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

hmm maury similar name as me but caps-names-mixing?

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

@ Jill- Cancer and a pulled groin. Yeah, they're comparable. Clark should recognize that it's AO's team regardless of injuries.

Posted by: mark from parkville | March 17, 2008 8:07 PM | Report abuse

BTW.....the rangers are not out of range..only up 5 points....so root for (I hate to say this) the Pens

Posted by: Rich C | March 17, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@Rich
No way, I'll root for NY.

Posted by: mauree | March 17, 2008 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I will cheer for the pens if I can be gaurunteed that both Malik and His girlfriend Cydney get hit in the mouth with slap shots

Posted by: Leeguru | March 17, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

@ mark from parkville - I am not comparing injury to illness. What the two situations have in common is that the situation rendered the team captain unable to play for the majority of the season. Same with Crosby for a bunch of games so far this season. A player does not "deserve" the C any less because he's sidelined.

Ovie will be the captain sooner or later, but that doesn't take anything away from Clark and his reputed leadership of the team.

Posted by: Jill | March 17, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

SEWKS:
Good point! I am with you - rooting against Philly and not for the Pens!! :-)

Posted by: Boo! | March 17, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

1st off - I forgot to sign my listing of games tomorrow night (the 7:03 PM thing. Sorry bout that).

@mauree

I don't mind rooting for the NYR if it means that the Pens lose. The problem is that the Rangers are reachable if Jupiter and Mars align, the moon is in the 7th house, etc...

We need to be more worried about ourselves and win every game we can possibly win, and then one or two more that we shouldn't win.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 17, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and with Clark coming back, I think that Laing won't be awarded the Masterton award. I just don't see him playing again this year.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 17, 2008 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fishman | March 17, 2008 9:14 PM | Report abuse

@ that guy

What a dumb comment. That's not what Mr. McPhee is saying at all. My god.

Posted by: fishman | March 17, 2008 9:16 PM | Report abuse

@ caphcky

I think he has a point. It should be scheduled around the main events at the stadium which are hockey and basketball. That would NEVER happen at the "JOE" in Detroit.

Posted by: fishman | March 17, 2008 9:21 PM | Report abuse

@Whiter Mage

Unless the two wins vs Carolina go OT/SO. 3 point games rule!

Posted by: Money Metal House | March 17, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

It's required to complain about the Booth scheduling this time of year. The circus comes to town this time every year and the NCAAs are usually in the mix.

Remember the 1-2-2-1-1 or whatever it was quality playoff series against the Pens in 2000. Some similar scheduling issues between the two buildings and lame NHL rules resulted in the bogus format.

Posted by: Bubba | March 17, 2008 9:45 PM | Report abuse

fishman
Hind-sight (thru the *ss) is 20/20. If the Caps took care of business early, they wouldn't be in the situation they are in.

You ARE what your record says you ARE.

Posted by: caphcky | March 17, 2008 10:03 PM | Report abuse

The Capitals are helped more by the Penguins beating NYR, so rooting for our nemesis tomorrow night is easy. We can go back to hating them after that.

Plus ... don't we want the Penguins to finish as the top seed so our Capitals can face them in the first round? I can't think of a team I rather beat in the playoffs ... :D

Posted by: Caps fan in TN | March 17, 2008 10:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't buy gmgm at all. They know YEARS in advance when an event like the NCAA will be played and where. I don't know about the Circus, but I'd imagine it's about the same.

He's just priming the pump in case the Caps fall short to save his sorry backside.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 17, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: captnclark | March 17, 2008 10:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 17, 2008 10:58 PM | Report abuse

"Thank God certain people on here dont run the show. There are some real idiots out there."

Posted by: caphcky | March 17, 2008 11:32 PM | Report abuse

A win tonight ties us with Filthadelphia and we have both have 35 wins so we'd get the tie breaker and be in 8th! It would be 'sick money' to welcome Cap'n Clark back with an eigth place slot to defend!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | March 18, 2008 6:13 AM | Report abuse

"A win tonight ties us with Filthadelphia and we have both have 35 wins so we'd get the tie breaker and be in 8th!"

Of course, Philly has to lose tonight (in regulation please!) also.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 6:37 AM | Report abuse

If you want Politics, you go to DC - that is what DC is all about... not hockey.

If you want a win, you go to Detroit as they will win it all.

The Caps have no chance tonight. The different time zone will play tricks on them and they will fail to get going right out of the gate.

Alex had a lazy game against Boston and will continue is streak - he will not have a multi-goal night... he just does not have it in him.

Other key notes - Laich, Semin, Flash, and Kozlov will not have goals tonight.

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 8:14 AM | Report abuse

The Caps have not won 4 straight games since the Fat Boys broke up in '82... no chance of them getting that 4th win in a row tonight.

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 8:16 AM | Report abuse

There's no way Philly is losing tonight. A lost would mean almost certain no playoffs for them, given their schedule.

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 8:34 AM | Report abuse

@828 Well done! Your really good at that reverse psychology!
LETS GO CAPS

@Simon speaking out - as much as I like Chris Simon, the article said it all, I don't mind him speaking out, but if he didn't have so many suspensions, maybe/we all know for a fact that his suspension wouldn't have been so long. He just needs to understand the rules and abide by them, if he would have done that his entire career his suspension would have been 8 games like Pronger.
I actually like the guy (he did a good job for the CAPS when he was here) and sometimes I think he gets picked on or baited into bad situations because of his bad boy reputation, but when you take the bait you must suffer the consequences.
Good for him speaking out, but he needs to understand why he go 30!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 9:12 AM | Report abuse

NO NEED to root for the Pens... UGH.

As much as we want Philly to lose, it's good to note that they play the Rangers and Isle twice and NJ once. Those are 3 teams to root for that don't need to bring the venomous taste of bile to your pallet. Besides, the last thing I want to see, is the CAPS make the 8th seed, only to have to face Cindy and his merry media entourage.

If we are playing in April, I'd personally rather not have to deal with hearing about Cindy and Gino vs OV... but rather to focus on the fact that two teams are facing each other. So I'll be rooting for NYI, NYR, and NJ against the Pennsylvania teams; and Montreal, and Ottawa vs Buffalo.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | March 18, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I just read in a Nashville paper that Ovechkin, on top of all his scoring, is 11th in the league in hits with 193. Wow. The Nashville writer says he is often compared to Mark Messier. I believe like Messier with the Rangers, Ovchkin will lead his team to a Cup after years of waiting.

Posted by: rogerr | March 18, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

@ Greenie,

Pronger has MORE suspensions in his career than Simon does.

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 18, 2008 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Yuck, hate to admit that I'll be rooting for the Pens, actually I'll just be rooting for the Rangers to lose. Yes, its unlikely we'll catch the Rangers, but they play the Flyers twice down the stretch. If the Flyers win both of those game, then we can at least be gaining on the Rangers instead. Plus considering the Rangers play the Pens three times, I can see the Rangers slipping a bit the next couple weeks.

I'll root for whoever I have to help get the Caps in the playoffs.

Posted by: JPC | March 18, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"I agree with McPhee. That's absolutly crazy the Verizon Center did that to this team. Between this and the bad ice thanks to all the basketball games being played there, what a lousy place for the Caps. Too bad they don't build their own stadium and get out of there."

I hate Abe Pollin. Hey, it's Easter week. Let's crucify another Jew.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 18, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Here is the article.........
I thought it was good, but honestly I'm not sure how they can say that an MVP should have a prerequisite for post-season play, doesn't make any sense to me, if your dominate then your dominate, if your don't, your get no recognition, if you make the post-season, what does that have to do with MVP? I understand MVP and what it means, and I say if you can total as many goals, points, hits etc.. over a season and it's been a decade since anyone else did it, then I see it pretty clearly no fog from here, that is an MVP period. Anyone else see it that way?????

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

@GusDaMan - Didn't know that for sure, but I knew it was close, but reputation plays a really big part of it, I don't know how to feel about the suspension thing. I'm not a pronger fan either, but I do agree with the degree of severity (and I think what they took into account was that Simons was the second skate incident, if I'm not mistaken)!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Greenie -- I agree with you. Ovechkin is an amazing player having an amazing season.
"He plays with grit, hardness, skill and poise and finesse, and with a determination that very few players can match,'' Predators Coach Barry Trotz said. "So you put all those things together, I don't think there's any doubt he's one of the most elite players in the league. He might be the first (MVP) exception in a long time"
Also, Jeff Merrick is wrong in saying that AO is making a bad team look good -- the Caps are not a bad team & they are getting better.

Posted by: uncatim | March 18, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

The team's local television affiliate recently started an "Ovech-cam,'' which uses a split screen to track Ovechkin while he was on the ice.

It's been reported that in the last game Malkin had the camera following him similar to Ovechkin's Ovech-cam.

It was called Crosby-cam.

Posted by: lol | March 18, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Since we do not have a new update...
Here are is the list of UFA's and RFA's

Morrisonn $0.9
Fehr $0.9
Green $0.8
Laich $0.7
Gordon $0.65

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I think the Caps are 11 mil under the cap right now.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 10:38 AM | Report abuse

from the Tennessean article:
"You could make the case for giving it to Ovechkin because without him, his team is completely decimated," Merrick said. "He's taken a bad team and made them good. But personally, I think as an MVP you have to get your team into the playoffs."

This is just asinine. Look at Ovie's scoring numbers - he has essentially 27% of the Caps goal total himself. No one else in the league tops 25%, and the next closest player percentage-wise, Kovalchuk, isn't even sniffing the playoffs. Name a meaningful offensive category AO isn't leading in. Better yet, ask any player in the NHL how they'd feel about facing the Caps if he wasn't in the line-up. How we are even having this discussion at this point is totally baffling. And I wager if everything about the situation were the same but Ovie was fighting for a playoff spot for a Toronto or Montreal or Pittsburgh or Rangers team, it would be a non-issue. I guess he really will have to lead the Caps to a Cup before anyone takes us seriously.

Posted by: JB | March 18, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I agree with everyone that OV is amazing, don't get me wrong, but I have to agree with a quote I heard from Barry Melrose of all people. He said teams can miss the playoffs without great players. So basically any team can have an all-star lineup, but fail to make the postseason, but it can take one key player to make that team special, and make the guys around him better, which I see in OV. So long story short I think OV is MVP caliber, but I agree with the fact that he should make the playoffs to be considered.

Posted by: AP | March 18, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

JSchon the instigator hehe :D

I hope we can resign all three of Huet, Fedorov and Cooke. Well, and Green of course. Then bring Lepisto up permanently.

Posted by: mauree | March 18, 2008 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Since the 1967 expansion, a span of 39 seasons, the Pittsburgh Penguins' Mario Lemieux (1987-88) is the only non-playoff qualifier named MVP. His team fell one point short.

Posted by: Yo | March 18, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

All-

Let's all hope this 'should Ovey be MVP if the team doesn't make the playoffs' conversation is a waste of time because the teams is in the playoffs.....

Posted by: Leigh | March 18, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

@AP - Boooooooo! I don't agree about making the post-season! If OV was Cindy BOO HOO Crosby there would be no discussion! It's just because he is A CAP - been watching the NHL too long to agree. Now Melrose may have a point, but if they have given it to a player that has made the post-season before then it shouldn't be a prerequisite! (For instance the last one was Mario Lemieux) Hmmmmm Pittsburgh again! Hate those PENS!!!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

OOOOPs - I meant hasn't made the post-season!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Greenie -
Don't get me wrong, I'd go crazy if OV wins the MVP, playoffs or not, but I've always been someone who believed that MVP's should be picked based on Value, not stats (and OV's got some Money stats - Thanks Tarik)

Posted by: AP | March 18, 2008 11:04 AM | Report abuse

@ AP

But if OV leads the league in almost every conceivable stat... and makes Backstrom look like a strong rookie of the year

What more can OV do himself to qualify as the best player in the league? Crosby had a lot of help to get into the playoffs, he didnt single handedly take the Pens last year (Gary Roberts with others).

I think OV has done more than anyone else to qualify as the MVP stats or otherwise.

Posted by: MetalCap | March 18, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

@AP - no hard feelings I know your a CAPS fan, I just feel strongly about voting for the best and I may be a bit biased, but he is def. the best I've ever seen and even if I wasn't a CAPS fan, I can truly say I would love the guy, just like before OVIE my favorite was Peter Forsberg because I thought he was the complete player, but no more - Ovie is the best!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, I agree with the Melrose the buffoon. The Hart Trophy winner needs to come from a play-off team. Its not that hard, half the teams make the play-offs.

But this is all a moot point. We shouldnt be worried about post-season awards right now. We are in the midst of a play-off race of biblical proportion. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling! Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes... The dead rising from the grave! Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

And, btw, for those of you who wanted to stand pat at the trade deadline. We would not be here 2 points out of the play-offs without Huet, Fedorov and Cooke.

Had we not made those moves, the Verizon Center wouldnt be sold out. Had we not made those moves, OV would have zero chance at the Hart. Had we not made those moves, the feeling that the Caps arent a serious organization would continue again for another year.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

@AP

TO me, MVP means most valuable player. Its that simple. Where would the Caps be without Ovechkin? Probably battling for a bottom 3 finish and a decent shot at the #1 draft pick. How many games has Ovechkin willed this team to victory?

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

@828

Dude. The Fat boys released their final album in 1991! Show some respect for Buffy the human beatbox and his brethren.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | March 18, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

MetalCap - It's true OV is leading in almost every stat you want to throw out there. On the other hand I think we can all agree that the most important stat at the end of the day is wins, and while OV has been the the reason for most of ours, as of right now it's still not enough to get us to play some extra hockey.

Posted by: AP | March 18, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

So McPhee is unhappy with Verizon Center's scheduling. What's new? Pollin has ALWAYS screwed the Caps when he could.

Posted by: Joe | March 18, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

@AP,

BUT, to play devils advocate to your point about "the most important stat at the end of the day is wins", one of those many categories OV leads in in GWG. So the argument can STILL be made that he has literally led his team to more victories than any other player.

Posted by: GusDaMan | March 18, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Ah, but Sombrero Guy - they broke up for a bit in '82...

On NHL on the fly - the guy answered Washington in this Rapid Fire Question:

Who would you not want to face in the playoffs?

Back to winning tonights game...

Playoffs? Playoffs? is this guy serious - Caps won't make the playoffs... it's too tough for them to handle.

Alex will not have a multi-goal night - no chance... he will not hit 300 points on his career as he has 297 right now. no chance, I tell ya!!!

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I so enjoy this Blog - everyone really contributes some good points!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Correction - Alex will not hit 300 career points tonight... no chance

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@all who are complaining about the schedule

Stop whining! The fact that we have 6 straight road games is unprecedented. Look at the other schedules of other teams. My least favorite franchise in the world, PIT, has had 6A 1H, 8A 2H, 7A 3H and 6A 1H stretches.

All it mean is that we have had more home games than other teams battling for the play-offs. We didnt handle our business. You need to be able to win on the road to make it in the play-offs, better off learning how to now.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

JSchon - agree... and the fact that Buffalo, NY, Pitt, and Philly fans have all helped create a road environment at the VC... so, we can thank them for that. This is what they have been preparing for.

Not saying they can win all 6 games, because they can't... they just dont have it in them.

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

@828

I agree with all of your negativity! Sour puss on.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@JSchon - Agree 100% - if we can't win on the road the post-season is pointless!
No whining, I think it could take a little pressure off the guys to perform the next several games and maybe get back to the grind and simple, smart hockey that wins games, not to mention team camaraderie!

Posted by: Greenie | March 18, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Predicitions:

NSH: OTL
CHI: W
ATL: W
CAR: W
TB: OTW
FLA: L

Discuss.

Posted by: old time hockey | March 18, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

old time hockey,

I am not programmed to discuss games in the future... however, if you think the Caps are going to get 1 point tonight - you are mistaken my friend. Huet has been playing terrible as of late... this is not going to be his best game as a Capital.

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

@greenie

Could you imagine all the guys all going out to Applebees for lunch in Nashville.

Brashear: Guys, lets go to Applebees
Green: Can we segway there?
Semin: What is segway?
OV: Are there girls in Applebees?
Laich: Well, Brash, are there girls?
Fedorov: Ya, Brash, whats the girl situation?
Semin: What is segway?
Brashear: There was a fine waitress in the Minnesota Applebees a few years back.
Green: Are there Segways in Nashville?
Backstrom: I would like some ribs I think.
Brashear: Now, you're talking Nicky
OV: I've dated 4 girls named Nicky
Laich: I've dated 6 girls named Nicky
Fedorov: I've got nude photos of Anna on my phone.
Green: Forget the segway, let me see'm
OV: Will you tell Anna I make 9 million?
Laich: Lets see the pictures Feds
Semin: WHAT IS A SEGWAY?????

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

old time hockey - here is your 200 WP tokens I owed you ($$). Althought, Flash did have 2 goals in 2 games(back-to-back)... not 2 goals in that particular game.

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

JSchon - good stuff!!!

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey

4-1-1 get us to 87 points with 3 home games. I'll take it.

Hopefully PHI goes 2-4
BUF goes 2-4
FLA goes 2-4

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

You all ever notice how Gordon is like a dog during the faceoffs... I noticed it last game when the ref was fooling around and not dropping the puck. He is so focused on the puck. Just reminds me of my dog.

instead of...
Dog: drop the ball, throw it, throw it... I still see it in your hand.
Gordon: drop the puck, drop it, throw it... I still see it in your hand, drop it, mine, mine, mine - I got it!!!

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

i know we're all saying philly has a hard schedule but it would be "caps luck" to have them come out and play for their lives...lets not assume philly is going to bottom out. 828 has the right idea, set the bar so low that only way to go is up (also my strategy w/ the ladies).

btw how fun is this! scoreboard watching everynight....its following the hockey song (sort of) in that we're trailing behind in the stretch run, it would be great to pull it out in the end in front of a packed vc...LETs GO CAPS

Posted by: Pat | March 18, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Pat | March 18, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

@828,

Gordon won't win any faceoffs tonight, he just doesn't have it in him.

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Pat, you talking about slump busters? with the ladies?

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Someone please tell me what the big deal is about Clarkie coming back. I like him as much as anyone but look at his career stats and tell me what difference he's going to make. We have a new coach and a new system and I don't see how Clarkie makes a difference. Yeah, he scored 30 or so a few years ago but 5 or 6 of those were empty netters etc. Yea, he can stand in front of the net but he's no John LeClaire. What's the love fest all about?

Posted by: Esa Tikkanen | March 18, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone have an Arnot voodoo doll?

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

@Esa,

Clark can hit the empty net unlike some others..

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Updates on morning skate?

Posted by: Thomas | March 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Updates on morning skate?

Posted by: Thomas | March 18, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Steve R - just print out Arnot's picture from nhl.com and then make it rain outside by peeing on the photo.

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

@Esa

Clark's contributions reach farther than some goals here or there. But statistically speaking.

2006/07 30g 24a 54pts -10 66pim 16ppp
2005/06 20g 19a 39pts +9 110pim

Had he played all year he would 3rd or 4th on the team in points. He has been our 1st line RW.

He gets beat up, beats people up. Takes pucks in the face and goes back for more. He is no doubt one of the toughest guys on the team. And in a team full of skilled players, you need a ogre to do the ugly stuff.

Clark is more valuable than his 54 points.

Posted by: JSchon | March 18, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve R | March 18, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

@SteveR

Let hope they dont become the next CAR and get stronger with more injuries...

I think out of this road trip NSH and CAR will be our big obstacles (sp?) but I think tonight will set the tone... I hope we come out AND STAY hungry for the entire game...

Posted by: MetalCap | March 18, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

new blog

Posted by: 828 | March 18, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

IMO just having OV in the discussion about being MVP is good enough for now. in 35 years the caps have only had one person that maybe would even be considered for MVP and that was Langway when the caps turned around upon his arrival. This team would be not even close to seasonal overtime without him. And he and Backs have made the other one better. Do not forget the first thing BB did as coach was put them together and both took off.
Also Ted did the rest of the league a favor my signing him to that contract. No player in the league can say I am worth more than OV.

Posted by: Rich C | March 18, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I think that we should play Laing against the Predators. They're a team that gets a lot of offense from their D-men, especially on the power play.

Posted by: Stephen | March 18, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

@ Ben

"If you want money, go to the bank. If you want bread, go to the bakery. If you want goals, go to the net."

Posted by: Chasta | March 18, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse