Clark Back at Full Strength, Finally

(John McDonnell -- The Washington Post)

[Edit: Check out this post from Bog Boy on the Caps' attendance last season. Spoiler: It was good.]

It's been a while since Chris Clark could claim to be 100 percent healthy. But that's exactly how the Caps captain described himself Thursday after taking part in an informal scrimmage at KCI.

Any concerns about the groin tendon that sabotaged his 2007-08 season?

Nope.

Any issues with the wrist that ruined last season?

Negative.

"It's the healthiest I've been in two years," Clark said with a smile.

So with a clean bill of health -- finally -- the big question surrounding Clark entering training camp is this: Where does he fit into the Caps' lineup?

Clark is perhaps the team's most versatile forward. He's shown he can produce in an offensive role, having scored 20 and 30 goals while skating alongside Alex Ovechkin a few seasons back. But he's also a proven checker, a gritty winger who plays with some snarl, has good speed and can kill penalties.

Based on what Coach Bruce Boudreau said Wednesday, it sounds like we'll see Clark mostly in a checking-line role this season, on either the right or left side depending on the combos.

"Whatever works," Clark said, adding that he has not yet discussed his role with Boudreau. "It might start one way but it might end up somewhere else. I like to be able to do a lot of things. I would like to get back to killing penalties because that's what I did my first eight, nine years in the league; killing penalties and shutting down other teams' top lines."

"If I play that role, then great," he added. "If I find another role that fits me, anything I can do that will benefit the team. And it always changes. If I end up in a role I don't like, within a week, things can change."

It's tough to glean much about a player based on an informal scrimmage. But having seen Clark when's he healthy and when he's hurting, I though he looked awfully good Thursday. His signature burst of speed was apparent and the shots he fired on Semyon Varlamov were hard and on target.

As much as Clark is looking forward to see his name on the score sheet this season, he said he's just as excited about returning to his other role: leading the Caps on and off the ice, whether it's vocally or by example.

"I tried to be around as much as I could last year," said Clark, who missed 33 regular season games and the first six playoff contests after undergoing wrist surgery, one year after playing in only 18 games. "But it's hard when you're not doing it. It was hard for me to say something when you're not there yourself, when you're not doing it yourself."

After a pause he added: "That was the hardest part about being hurt."

Having missed so much time the past two seasons, it's probably safe to say there's no Cap looking forward to Sept. 13 as much as Clark.

"The guys we brought in and the guys we lost, I think it's a little bit of a plus or a bit of wash," he said. "But when you factor in the young guys who got another year of experience, they're just better because they are older and more experienced. It's like upgrading, but it's just because of experience."

"I think we have an unbelievable team," Clark added. "I don't know how many games we can win this year, but we could be five, 10 games better than last year. I think we have that great a team. I'm just looking forward to seeing what we can do."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  September 3, 2009; 2:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin Set to Promote Video Game in New York
Next: Ovechkin's New Ride

Comments

A healthy and productive Clark would be like a 3rd FA acquisition. And a healthy and productive Clark and Pothier would be like a 3rd and 4th FA acquisition.

5 or ten games better? 118 to 128 pts, up from 108? Perhaps a bit optimistic. 108 pts last year...maybe 112 this year.

But...maybe he means "5 to 10 more wins" in May and June! Ha! Caps just need 9 more to hoist the Cup!

Posted by: tominfl1 | September 3, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Welcome back oh captain my captain

Posted by: Redwolf1 | September 3, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

we'll see how he does, but i wouldn't be surprised to see Clarkie up on the 2nd line mucking it up in front of the net at some point this season. i hope that is the case and that Brooksie will be the third mucker. he did it inconsistantly last year. that would give the Caps a mucker on its top 3 lines. plus Clarkie brings some defensive upside, as well.

Posted by: doughless | September 3, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Now that is some more good news. This season can't get started soon enough. Glad to have our Cap'n back at 100%.

Posted by: _Mark | September 3, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

My thoughts were the same as Doughless. Three good muckers, pretty muckin' good!

Posted by: Sonyask | September 3, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

That is great news, hope he comes out and shows what he can do so all these anti-Clark bloggers will go away. Tired of hearing how overpaid the guy is when he has played hurt the last two seasons.

Posted by: PhilR | September 3, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Blah blah blah Clarke. This is your last year with the Caps.....

Posted by: atybat | September 3, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't know who Clarke is, but I am looking forward to Our Captain returning to form.

Posted by: _Mark | September 3, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Here comes a negative Nancy, but don't you expect all of our forwards to say "I'm 100%" when there are guys coming up from Hershey fighting for their spots? Stecks, Clark, etc. should kick some serious butt in training camp to prove they're "100%" before I take their word on it.

Speaking of, can't wait for next week! Get this party started already!

Posted by: Raber | September 3, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see a 3rd line of
Laich - Steckel - Clarke

Posted by: peteywheatstraw | September 3, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

his name is Chris Clark.. there is no e. I think he can be a good replacement for the ever so on-again off-again flash, but I don't see him as Captain, even with that big "C" on his chest. sorry clark but your not my Washington Capitals Captain.

that being said, I wish him luck!

Posted by: capsfan387 | September 3, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

The road to the cup runs through Chris Clark's living room...

Posted by: SA-Town | September 3, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

If Clark gets put in a strictly checking role, then he needs to revert to his form with Calgary where he was one of the top checking wingers in all of hockey and eventually went to the Finals vs Tampa. He was a fun player to watch on that Flames team. He was one of only a few Flames players who suited up for all 26 playoff games. He has forgotten a lot of what made him good back in those days once he started potting a few goals.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 3, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

They guy did not earn his C on locker room motivation alone. When healthy he's a monster. Didn't he return during the playoffs following injury? Don't judge him based on playoff performance any more than you should of Mike Greene. I expect great things, and I believe him

Posted by: Sonyask | September 3, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I don't ever want to see him eat a puck again, but if he still has that heart and is healthy and contributing, then I am glad to call him Captain.

Posted by: _Mark | September 3, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Have you had a chance to catch up with Jose at all? Just wondering how he's handling his family situation and if he's doing ok.

Posted by: Fro_ | September 3, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

These extra Es are driving me mad.

I hope Clark really is healthy again. I think we might have heard this last year too, though. Fingers crossed for this time around.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

What this team needs to focus on is not more regular season wins, but in developing a chemistry and mindset that follows through into the postseason where defense, following through on checks, and general hard-nosed play is the rule rather than the exception.

This is two years in a row the Caps have gone into the postseason with home ice advantage in a Game 7 and so far the team is a disappointing 1-2 in those games.

The Caps have to learn that in order to advance they are going to have to wrap up their first round series before Game 7 to allow for the grind of the playoffs to not get to the team as it did in the Pittsburgh series.

If the Caps had finished off the Rangers in 4 or 5 games they would have had fresher legs to face the Penguins and perhaps that Game 7 would not have been so lopsided in defeat.

I like that Clark is back. He is a defense first forward. The club lacked that in 2008.

Personnel-wise, I am still looking for the Caps to make a move or two on defense to add some veteran experience and replace some of the talent that has underperformed.

Shaonne Morrisonn and Jeff Schultz to me are guys that you win a Stanley Cup in SPITE of rather than because of.

That has to change.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 3, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Clark, you're gonna need it.

This year will be a reality check, not surprised if they miss the post season.

Posted by: Cheef | September 3, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

cheef,
you're the only one who wont be suprised if they miss the post season. anyone else who has minimal hockey knowledge and no axe to grind expects the caps to be a top 4 team in the east. good to see you are in mid-season form.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 3, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

That has to change.

Posted by: leopard09 | September 3, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

then you should go back and watch tape, esp of the Ranger series. Shaone Mo was a stud. He was effectively separating forwards from the puck along the boards, he was the only dman we had that really consistently hammered Dubinsky time and time again. He cleared the crease without taking penalties. Until Jurcina woke up courtesy of Avery, Mo was our best most rugged player on D. He gets a bad rap around here. EFF Schultz. Unless he really pulls forward this year, I think he'll be gone next season. We have enough depth at young prospects at D now.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 3, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: PhilR | September 3, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Blah blah blah Clarke. This is your last year with the Caps.....

Posted by: atybat | September 3, 2009 3:03 PM

Like atybat here?

Posted by: pkendrick | September 3, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"...His signature burst of speed was apparent and the shots he fired on Semyon Varlamov were hard and on target."

So apparently Varly came over straight from his stint at the Russian Olympic camp. Good to see he's a couple days early and ready to go.

Posted by: tess2201 | September 3, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I think we can just ride on our Russians Ovechkine and Semine, can't we all just agree on that?

Posted by: Raber | September 3, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I hope anyone who has had a negative comment to make about Clark stating he feels 100% healthy get to see Clark skate onto the ice and do what he does, good or bad because with Clark on the ice playing hockey is a great, big F-U to you all.

Haha.

Clark wears the C. As far as any of us are concerned, that means he's the Captain of the Washington Capitals, whether you like it or not. Get over yourselves and your opinions.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | September 3, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Clark & Pothier for an entire season while we groom the younger replacements with spots appearances during the season.

Double whammy benefits.

Posted by: Rocc00 | September 3, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Exactly 1 year ago I stated Clark was a bust for the 08/09 season, the same applies to 09/10.

I suggested they unload him before he injured himself (again), now they'll trade him hopefully while he's still "100% healthy"

Big waste of space.

Posted by: Cheef | September 3, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Cheef is not the head cheerleader with his local Up With People contingent.

Undeterred, I remain fired up for some hockey this year. Go Clarkie! This team seems poised for a heavy helping of awesome at a year older and wiser.

GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: chucktownCAPSfan | September 3, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I hope for a great year for Clark. He's my favorite among the vets.

It's a shame that he got hurt so bad the last couple of years. (And very painful to watch.)

Maybe he can start out on the checking line and then maybe eventually move to right wing on one of the top two lines.

All the line juggling due to all the injuries probably didn't help our chemistry. Although some times different situations call for different line combos.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | September 3, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Chris Clark is washed up. He had a couple good years playing under Glen Hanlon. This guy is an abosolute bum. Theres no way anybody actually looks at this guy as the captain. He's a hack. Send him to the glue factory. Replace him with Giroux...Borque...Rico Fata. If nothing else we should just encourage him to drop the gloves with Redden again so we can see him get dropped out of our lineup again.

Posted by: chrisclarksucks | September 3, 2009 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Ah, The season must be close, the dreggs of this board are starting to crawl out from under their rocks.

Posted by: billd2 | September 3, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Too much. Only thing to do is ignore.

Is it October yet?

Posted by: Sonyask | September 3, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Wow! Don't need any Pen or Phlyer trolls around here today. Just like Nylander, if Clark doesn't produce, he won't play. It's awfully hard to score and contribute when you aren't on the ice due to injury. Give the man a chance to display his wares. The coaches will know very soon whether he can make the grade.

On another note, I hope they don't park Knuble in front of the net on the PP if Ovie is manning the point. He could end up with a mushed up ear just like Clark did when Ovie launched a rocket towards the net.

Posted by: MetalCapsFan | September 3, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

The best player on the team is not necessarily the Captain. Come on now you Dale Hunter lovers, he was NEVER the best player on the team but he was gritty, and stood up for his team mates. I didn't care for him much but a lot of you loved having him as a Captain. Why can't Clark fill that same role? If Clark is healthy he will be more than capable of being a successful mucker and a effective checking line guy.

Cheef, no matter how much you want the Caps to miss he playoffs, they're not. Why do you claim, or remain, to be a Caps fan if you are so disgruntled?

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 3, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

MetalCapsfan: I remember the game where Clark almost lost his ear. It was while Hanlon was still in town, the Caps were down like 5-1 to Vancouver in the last minute of the game and Clark was creating a screen. Yes, creating a screen and fighting for position in front of the net. THAT is what Captains do. Clark will be just fine and he will be a nice gritty addition to our line-up.

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 3, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

CANNOT WAIT!! So happy to hear the Clarkie is 100%, I think that is a huge piece of the puzzle, one that we were missing last year and it showed in the playoffs. Glad to have you back, see you in two weeks!

Posted by: mrszilla | September 3, 2009 10:29 PM | Report abuse

ugh.

go away clark.

you are not my captain and never will be...too many lost chances.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | September 3, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

it's rather stupid to compare Clark to Dale Hunter.. just because two players play a similar style, doesn't mean they are similar in their quality of play.

Dale Hunter is a borderline hall of famer.. nobody is gonna say that about Clark when his playing career is over.

Posted by: joek443 | September 3, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Clark wears the "C" - but Ovie is the leader of this team. One look at the salute to the fans after last year's collapse against Pittsburgh tells the whole story.

Posted by: tshanebarrett | September 3, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joek443 | September 3, 2009 10:44 PM |

I don't see how they play a similar style. Just because Clark can be said to be "gritty" doesn't mean at all that he is what Hunter was.

I also don't see Hunter getting in the HHOF, ever. Maybe for his PIM, but that's it.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 3, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

at least Hunter's name is in the conversation... I'm sure Don Cherry thinks he belongs in the hall of fame.. LOL

Guys still knocking on the door from past years - the quintessential playmaker Adam Oates (sixth most assists and 1,420 points); heart-and-soul centre Doug Gilmour (1,414 points); Phil Housley (fourth most points for a defenceman, 1,232); defenceman Mark Howe, who broke into pro hockey as a teenage winger alongside brother Marty and dad Gordie in the World Hockey Association; goalies Mike Vernon (385 wins, two Cups, one in Detroit, one in Calgary); Andy Moog (372 wins, three Cups with Oilers); and Tom Barrasso (369 wins, two Cups in Pittsburgh); centre Dale Hunter; and six-time Cup winner Kevin Lowe.

Posted by: joek443 | September 3, 2009 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, but I don't see him ever making it unless it's way down the line. There are way more prominent players not in yet and are eligible. His PIM count is no joke though...haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | September 3, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Housley belongs, not sure about Oates and Gilmour.. I always thought Mark Howe was a great defenseman.

I think all three of those goalies belong too.

Posted by: joek443 | September 3, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

I'll say that I love Chris Clark and you need a Chris Clark on your team in order to win a Cup. Every Cup Champ has one. That being said I think we all know he's not the REAL captain. When somebody is elected Captain it's because they are THE LEADER of that team. He is A leader but no longer THE leader. Is there any doubt to who the leader is for Detroit, Vancouver, San Jose, Boston etc. I say give our TRUE LEADER the C and lets get on with it. Obviously a $100M contract doesn't change him so I doubt he'd change with the C on his jersey.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 4, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Are you serious? Dale Hunter is a borderline hall of famer? Only if they open up a special hall of fame for dirty play and general thugery. I have to say though, that would be a cool hall of fame to visit. Just for hockey or all sports would be the question.

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 4, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

lorne,
that would be an AWESOME HOF! i would pay to see the displays...tiger williams, dale hunter. a real live penalty box to sit in just to see how these guys spent most of their careers. the stick mcsorley used to whack brash. the shoe that milbury used to beat that fan at MSG. replicas of dave schultz's fists. would be great...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 4, 2009 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Clark, you're gonna need it.

This year will be a reality check, not surprised if they miss the post season.

Posted by: Cheef | September 3, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------

You have not been missed - go back into your hole

Posted by: Redwolf1 | September 4, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Clark, you're gonna need it.

This year will be a reality check, not surprised if they miss the post season.

Posted by: Cheef | September 3, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

--------------------------------------

You have not been missed - go back into your hole

Posted by: Redwolf1 | September 4, 2009 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Don't feed the trolls.

Posted by: thiazzi | September 4, 2009 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 4, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------
Hunter could be penciled in for 25 goals and 200+ PIMs every year, and would try to rattle anyone he skated against. You wouldn't want that on your team?

It's kind of sad that the Turgeon incident happened, otherwise he'd be a lot closer to the Hall than he is now.

Posted by: Section117 | September 4, 2009 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Kind of difficult reading hateful comments of supposed "Caps" fans directed at Chris Clark. I guess you can chalk it up to short-sightedness. A few years back, Clark was filling his role as Captain perfectly. A puck to the face, a groin pull, a wrist injury, and he is forced to sit. When healthy, Clark brings more to the ice each night than many "stars" around the league.
To all you Clark bashers - show the same character he carries himself with, be supportive fans and pull for him to have an awesome year back on the ice. If you cannot do that, don't call yourselves a fan of the Caps. Maybe the Skins are a better fit for you.

Posted by: gonchpup | September 4, 2009 11:13 AM | Report abuse

i for one hope that Clark can bring some added grit in front of the opposing goalie or on a checking line. We can use more of both those.

Posted by: doughless | September 4, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Good luck Clark, you're gonna need it.

This year will be a reality check, not surprised if they miss the post season.

Posted by: Cheef | September 3, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@Cheef:

People on this board can agree to disagree. The one constant should be that posters to this board genuinely the want Caps' players (and the team as a whole) to SUCCEED. Some believe this is accomplished by cheering on players they support, others by CONSTRUCTIVELY criticizing players they believe to be unproductive.

*Ignites anti-troll flamethrower*

But let's get one thing straight, @$$hat:

The one constant theme of YOUR posts is that you do neither. Instead you stink up this board with your jeering, hate-filled invective. Do you work for the Penguins or something? Or are you just a masochist who takes more pleasure in being right (i.e., seeing your doom-and-gloom predictions fulfilled) than in seeing the Caps win?

Your posts remind me of that wanker in "Happy Gilmore" who got paid by the villain to constantly yell "Jackass!" and disrupt the main character...Which, come to think of it, is probably an accurate description.

Clark isn't (and, IMO, shouldn't be) going anywhere else--at least for the time being. Deal with it. Also, I predict that the Caps not only WILL make the playoffs, but may also win the President's Trophy in the coming season. Yes, winning the Stanley Cup is the ultimate objective, and being eliminated by the Pens stings, but I just don't see how a 108-point season can be considered a "failure".

Begone, Satan.

*blows smoke from nozzle of anti-troll flamethrower and puts it away*

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 4, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lornemyoung | September 4, 2009 7:44 AM | Report abuse

newbie.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 4, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Why anyone on this board would even address somebody who says the Caps won't make the playoffs is beyond me. Obviously it's to get a rise out of you and guess what, it worked.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 4, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1 | September 3, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

This team lacks top end leadership so Clark is really the only best choice. He's no Dale but even Dale in today's game would be no Dale. This league doesn't allow guys like him to flourish anymore and the Caps certainly don't like the agitator type very much. He'd be categorized as an Avery type or something and his other skills (passing, vision, leadership, faceoff etc) would get lost along the way.

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 4, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

No short sightedness here. Clark is old guard, and that's not a good thing. You Clark fan boy/girls will eat crow.

You can hate the war and still support the soldiers; You can be a Caps fan and hate Clark.

Nothing wrong with it.

Posted by: TheOriginalEgon | September 4, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

all summer long this board was pretty good. now all the kooks start showing up. oh brother. figure it would happen sooner or later.

Posted by: doughless | September 4, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Pokerface:

Saw from the previous post you're in Colorado. Whereabouts? I'm in Boulder and wanted to know what your plans were for Caps-Avs game on 12/15? I'll be there obviously, maybe we should try and get a contingent together? Single-game tix go on sale next Saturday!

Geoff

Posted by: glb8p | September 4, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | September 4, 2009 1:21 PM

@cstanton1:

I must agree with you there.

As to the question of Who Should Be Captain If Not Clark, I think OV has many significant leadership skills, but may have too much on his plate to be as much of a **spokesperson** as I feel a Captain should be (viz.: the cringe-making Eastern Motors ads). He (OV) may indeed be the greatest hockey player ever, but Master Of Everything He Touches? Maybe not so much.

So, if GMGM has to make a move, and it can't be Clarkie anymore, then whom should it be? My vote goes to Brooks Laich. He has shown not only grit on the ice, but eloquence in the locker room and before the media.

Thoughts, folks?

Posted by: Rhino40 | September 4, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

"eloquence in the locker room "

You are a tool.

Posted by: Cheef | September 4, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

GLB8 - that would be awesome! Yes I'm absolutely going to the game. I haven't missed one yet since I moved here in 96. Caps actually have very good representation out here. A couple yrs ago my kids and I were sitting on the far side of the glass at the end of the rink. OV's first shift of the 3rd period he jumped the wall darted across the blue line drilled an Av into the glass and it shattered! My kids were about 3 and 6 at the time and have loved him ever since. We had a perfect view of it! So yeah I'd love to hook up before the game. You can email me at pokerface1208 at yahoo. Just let me know when you do as I don't check that email a lot. I'm in Lakewood BTW so you're not too far.

Posted by: pokerfaceI208 | September 4, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

"eloquence in the locker room "

You are a tool.

Posted by: Cheef | September 4, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

time for you to go bye bye cheef.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 4, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

@ Cheef: Retirement doesn't suit you, does it? Try finding something more constructive to do than your inane postings on this board.

@ TheOriginalEgon: Feel free to dislike a player, like Chris Clark, but have the decency to not be a smug a$$hat knowing that your "opinion" won't be shared by a majority of the FANS on this board. Get over yourself. You're embarrassing yourself.

@ cstanton1: Regardless if he's a newbie, he's entitled to his opinion. Quite frankly, it was an opinion that wasn't personally insulting to anyone. Most especially to you.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | September 4, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

I am excited about the potential of a healthy Clark. But I will also hold that excitement in check for a while - he's been fragile since he got here!

Posted by: lanthier | September 5, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Imagine if Dale Hunter was number one center of the Caps right now.. Crosby gets annoyed over some of OV's antics, imagine him going against Hunter... LOL he would totally throw him off his game

That's why you always need a player like Hunter on your team. his detractors always wanna talk about the rough stuff but to this day, he's still the ONLY NHLer ever to score over 1000 points while having spent over 3000 minutes in the sin bin.

Posted by: joek443 | September 5, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

as far as the Captain, OV should be wear the C on his jersey.. it's a NO-BRAINER. everyone talks about leadership this or leadership that but he's the best player on the team so he should be the captain.

they hardly missed Clark last year, imagine what this team would be like if they had to play without OV for most of the season. That alone should be the reason why he should wear the C now.

Posted by: joek443 | September 5, 2009 12:34 AM | Report abuse

Anyone compairing Dale Hunter to the Tiger Williams, Dave Shultz or Marty McSorleys of the world - guys who barely scored a goal/year is like announcing to the world that they know NOTHING about hockey.

Posted by: joek443 | September 5, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1,

I direct your attention to the Original post by Rhino40 @ 12:35 PM 09/04/2009.

Say bye bye to your pathetic, childish attempt at censoring free speech.

Surely you can go about your own business right ?

You too are a tool. Please try to continue on after my post, ir's not that bad.

Posted by: Cheef | September 5, 2009 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Cheef, you are an IDIOT if you think that we are going to miss the postseason!

Posted by: mhoppmann | September 5, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse

cheef, wow. you call someone a tool and yet i'm childish for pointing out the simply rules that the post has for participating in this board (not to mention just normal decency). someone has trouble playing the sandbox doesnt he/she. you seem to have anger issues that might be better addressed by a professional.

i happen to disagree with everything you post and the way you try and make whatever point it is you are trying to make. but i would never suggest censoring them...they make me laugh. but you should try following the rules that the post puts out there. it's pretty simple.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | September 5, 2009 7:12 PM | Report abuse

It's been a long and busy summer. I'd forgotten that I need to read from the bottom up on this board -- checking the poster's name before I read the post. Thanks, cheef, for reminding me.

Posted by: miseaujeu | September 6, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Good grief Cheef you are some piece of work. Your posts reminded me of just how nasty and negative you were last season. I am baffled by you. What do you hope to achieve with your comments? You have no analysis, exhibit no intelligence, and show no interest in the Caps past or present. You are best ignored. This family can't wait for October. We are of to Kettler to welcome in the new season.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | September 6, 2009 9:03 AM | Report abuse