Clark Hits The Ice At KCI

Chris Clark is the latest Capital to return to town, and today and he joined teammates Brent Johnson and Boyd Gordon for his first informal practice of the summer in Arlington. Clark appeared at ease when skating top speed, turning sharply and shooting (more on this later), though he did back off during the start-and-stop skating drills at the end of the session. No cause for concern, he said, he was just being cautious.

Clark also said he plans to skate daily as camp approaches (with the exception of Thursday, when he'll be attending the Yankees-Red Sox game in The Bronx. If you don't know already, Clark is a huge Sox fan, and this is Boston's last ever regular season visit to Yankee Stadium).

Now back to Clark's shot. It's as good as ever according to Johnson, who, like most goalies, knows in advance to expect some head-high bombs from Clark.

"He's shooting the puck as hard as I can remember," Johnson said. "He shot a couple high, so I know he's still got it. Having him back is going to be a huge key for us. We missed him so badly last year."

Clark is also the official organizer of these unofficial practices. He said he expects "several" players to be back in town late next week, with Shaone Morrisonn and Matt Bradley the next players expected to arrive in town.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  August 26, 2008; 12:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Catching Up With Coach Boudreau
Next: Ticket Needed For Rookie Game

Comments

46 days until the regular season starts!

Posted by: Steve in Jersey | August 26, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Backstrom and Nylander need to show...

Get those Sweeeeds back on the ice.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Good to hear Clark is back out there! I was just wondering about him this morning. Thanks for the update, Tarik!

Posted by: SLM | August 26, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I dont blame Clark for going to N.Y. Nothing is sweeter then seeing the Yankees blow all that cash for a terrible team. Way to shut down the temple of baseball...Losers

Posted by: George Stein-Hater | August 26, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Clark still being "cautious" IS cause for concern.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Nice Tarik, thanks for these updates. When Backstrom gets back into town, hide yourself near the donuts at KCI to see how many he stuffs into his duffel bag.

Posted by: Ben | August 26, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

It's Christmas in August!!!!

Posted by: Alberto | August 26, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, do you know what time they are usually out on the ice? I'd like to swing by to watch.

(is that bad, that I want to watch these guys just shoot around and not even a REAL practice? I must be sick in the head)

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 26, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Go Skins Go,

Nope, you are not sick in the head, I was thinking of doing the same thing. My luck, I will get there on the day they all take a break.

Itching for a hockey fix.

Posted by: Mark | August 26, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Clark still being cautious raises my eyebrows a bit, but after the long road he had coming back, I am OK with a little caution. If he's still being cautious in camp, I'll start being concerned then.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 26, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

i think flash should cross come back and start bulking up and getting sharp if he wants to defend his spot on the roster.

hope to see clark at the sox game, im going tonite and thursday and we talked red sox at the meet the team party

Posted by: mike d | August 26, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Clark is finished.
Why sugar coat the obvious.

Too many players stick around too long. Just buy him out and be done with it.
Next player to come to Washington will be Jeff Friesen.

TEB,
Playing a little shinny and getting a good sweat won't tell anything, his time away will cost him. He should have played through it or quit.

Posted by: Chief | August 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

OOOOOHHHHH
you talked red sox

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Chief is a Doctor too?

Posted by: NJ | August 26, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Why is it when I shoot at my goalie's head in warmup's/practice, he gets upset?!?!? :-)

Stein-Hater:
Why drive to NY when you can see the same thing on Sundays in Landover?!??!

Posted by: Scofield | August 26, 2008 2:30 PM | Report abuse

good lord i come hear hoping to read and post about the caps and i still cant get away from the stupid a** boston redsox. what a bunch of overpaid out-of-shape who-gives-a-crap losers. This is hockey people, please leave the loser yankees and red "saux" out of it. makes me sick

Posted by: pat | August 26, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the Yanks/sox, I agree with those who don't want to talk about them. Can we instead talk about our local baseball teams and all the success they have had over the years? Oh- wait...

Ok, back to the Caps...

Posted by: Michael Kay | August 26, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

10 Things I hate more than Chief.....

10. Hockey offseason.
9. Missing the playoffs.
8. Jagr jerseys still showing up at the Phone Booth.
7. When Super throws a winner in KanJam.
6. My roommate.
5. Sidney Crysby.
4. Work.
3. Chief's Comments.
2. Miller Lite.
1. People that think the glass is empty when the damn thing is obviously half full.

SUCK IT CHIEF!!!!

Posted by: #94 | August 26, 2008 3:10 PM | Report abuse

My season tickets were just mailed! Got the tracking number from the caps.

STOKED!!

Posted by: Travis | August 26, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Really happy to see Clark back and nearly ready for first or second line duties. Here's hoping that he scores like he did before the injury (raises glass and gulp). Clark's grit was missed last year.

Posted by: JIM | August 26, 2008 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Tickets are in the mail!

Posted by: Steve R | August 26, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Tickets coming, Clark on the ice, BB at the office, Tarik posting more often...it's coming!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | August 26, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Having Clarkie back will be huge especially in the event that Fehr doesn't become the player a lot of us expect he can.

Posted by: reekie | August 26, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Chief,

I know you like the whole anonymous nature of the web thing but come on!

You clearly have a pretty good grasp of hockey and you understand it but your good messages are often lost when you make outrageous comments.

Is it possible Clark is done? Sure its possible but to be able to ascertain that from a blog is just too much.

I would argue that having had 2 of the last four years off that it might extend his career a little. Like my high school coach used to tell us "groin injuries are like concussions to your little head, you never know which one will knock you out forever."

I for one don't mind your contrarian point of view. I think it makes the whole thing that much more entertaining but keep it to well thought out informed comments

Posted by: Whoohoo | August 26, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Chris Clark, i have a great deal of respect for you, so please do not go to yankee stadium, i would hate to lose you should someone conveniently blow it up with both teams on the field

I'm sick of both these teams spending 4 times as much as any other team and pounding their chests. Hopefully the 4 out of the AL are tampa, chi,minn, and LA

End of rant, back to caps talk

Posted by: O-V-P | August 26, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Let me be clear.
Clark is a victim, another in the long list of players that have been used incorrectly by the Caps.
Looking back over the last 10 years, the Caps used more players incorrectly than any other team in the NHL.

I still get a laugh from Simon's 29 goal season, he won me money for not hitting 30.

Under current front office, this team won't progress, ever. Keep on believing...

Posted by: Chief | August 26, 2008 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@ Chief

Don't throw out a statement like that without explaining. How is he being used incorrectly? How could a bum like Chris Simon have ever been used wrong considering he had 29 goals. Anybody who ever believed he would have 30 was on drugs, lots of them. If you can get 29 out of that goon, he is being used correctly.

Posted by: reekie | August 26, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

clark is a yankees fan

Posted by: i hate the yankees and sox | August 26, 2008 5:42 PM | Report abuse

PS in 18 seasons, Chris Simon has gone over 10 goals only in 5 seasons. Please please explain how he was used wrong, and then explain how Clarkie has been used wrong.

Posted by: reekie | August 26, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

What the heck is going on here?

No Boo! to tell me to be nice?

No Jschon to tell Chief how dumb he is?

No Super?

Whats the deal?

Posted by: #94 | August 26, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

reekie its just mindless ramble with that guy, just ignore him. preseason tickets are included in the full season ticket package right?

Posted by: pat | August 26, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Grew up fighting, made the NHL fighting and then all of a sudden picks up 29 goals.

If anyone knew their place, it was Reekie, otherwise he would have never lasted, make sure you understand this game before relying on stats for your point.
Just makes you look even more ignorant, if that's possible.

Posted by: Chief | August 26, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm not at all worried about Clark, not since he appeared on WP live and said he was 100% and wish the season started in August.
I think he is fine and wants to make sure he doesn't do anything to risk not being there opening night...I bet he even walks down the sidewalk a little more carefully now... :)

btw: while I like the decent from Chief, I do wish he would go back to Pittsburg!

Posted by: mike b | August 26, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Chief from the Pit? I thought he was from Philly? I was sure he was a fetal alcohol syndrom baby. It would account for so much. Philly is the capital of fetal alcohol syndrom, in fact most in Philly think that is the waybabies are supposed to be, they think they are giving their kids a "head start in life". As long as you want a life of alcoholism it works fine. Chief, calm down, have a drink or 10!

Posted by: Bob | August 26, 2008 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Chief from the Pit? I thought he was from Philly? I was sure he was a fetal alcohol syndrom baby. It would account for so much. Philly is the capital of fetal alcohol syndrom, in fact most in Philly think that is the way babies are supposed to be, they think they are giving their kids a "head start in life". As long as you want a life of alcoholism it works fine. Chief, calm down, have a drink or 10!

Posted by: BB | August 26, 2008 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Ha
Once again, Washington area is holier than thou.

Losers

Posted by: Anonymous | August 26, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait for this season to start.

Posted by: oo7 | August 26, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Clark was on pace for 22 goals last year and so was Nylander.

With both healthy the Caps have five that should score 20+ goals this year...

OV (of course)
Semin
Laich
Nylander
Clark

And 3 that may...

Green
Kozlov
Backstrom

I like our firepower

Posted by: Rong Caps Fan | August 27, 2008 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Hope Clarkie's walker doesn't interfere with his faceoffs ;)

Posted by: Shaggy | August 27, 2008 9:38 AM | Report abuse

I can think of four players who were used incorrectly by Caps' Management: Jason Allison, Anson Carter, Andrew Brunette, and Steve Eminger. Allison and Brunette, as we have seen, turned out to be above average players, while Carter had bursts of brilliance when he was younger. Eminger I'm expecting to bloom underneath someone else.

Simon was used in such a way that got results, and so has been Clark.

Used incorrectly and treated wrongly are very different things. Neither Simon nor Clark were/have been mistreated to my knowledge.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | August 27, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I am an idiot.

Posted by: Chief | August 27, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

We didn't mis-use Brunette, Carter, or Allison, we just gave up on them too soon. Letting Brunette go was still quite an oversight, but not the same as keeping a player around and not maximizing his abilities. Allison and Carter - we got Oates and that obviously worked out.

Eminger has no hockey sense and his aggressive instincts were killed by Hanlon, I agree with that one.

Posted by: Ben | August 27, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

@ Chief
I'll second that ......here here!
One of the few times I have agreed with you.

Posted by: Capfsfannmiss | August 27, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Chief is a racist

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 27, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I would rather have kept Allison and watch him develop into a # 1 center for Peter Bondra. And who knows, maybe he wouldn't have had the injury issues, either.

Just saying, giving up on them too soon is as bad as misusing them.

Did Juneau come in that deal, too? I can't remember right now.

Posted by: DrinkingPartner | August 27, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

thats why Clarkie is the man.... YANKEES SUCK

Posted by: Go Sox Go | August 27, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Why are we even talking about how we have misused Clark? Brunette? Allison? Simon?

Players evolve and regress. In every sport. Coaches put players in their systems, unless you are a spectacular player then you might have a system built around you.

None of these players fit that bill.

Posted by: JSchon | August 27, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

No Juneau came a few years earlier, in '93-'94 for Iafrate.

Posted by: Ben | August 27, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Clarkie is a Yankie fan not a sox fan

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

If getting almost 30 goals out of a goon is proof of misusing said goon, I hope to hell the Caps start misusing Brash this season. Chief's observations are getting surreal in their retarditude.

Posted by: Jordan | August 27, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

What did I miss?

Posted by: 828 | August 27, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Now, now Jordan. We don't use the term "goon" anymore. Let us hope that the Caps misuse "enforcer" Brashear.

Posted by: uncatim | August 27, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

True enough, Brash is the quintessential enforcer.

Simon is still a goon, though.

Posted by: Jordan | August 27, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Chief,

Maybe I'm missing it, but are you postulating that Clark is more of an enforcer/grinder, and the Caps got 29 goals out of him, and therefore misused him? Could that goal output be attributed to playing on a line with OV? I think I may pull a goal or two playing with him, and I can barely skate! Explain a little more please.

Posted by: Leeguru | August 27, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Eminger never lived up to his draft billing. He never reached his potential, if it was ever there, honestly. He's a hothead who draws too many dumb penalties and he has never been a plus defender since turning pro. He has good talent in skating, passing, toughness, and setting up on the pp, but his hockey instincts are just too stupid for words. I'm glad that the Caps traded him away because I doubt he'll ever mature enough to play to his Godgiven ability.

Posted by: JIM | August 27, 2008 1:55 PM | Report abuse

No, no, no. I was being facetious. I am a proponent of calling a "spade" a "#&^%$&%* shovel". Enforcer is a politically correct media word, Brashear is my (currently) favorite goon, & Simon is a punk maggot.

Posted by: uncatim | August 27, 2008 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I know, I just take pleasure in ruining the funny sometimes.

Posted by: Jordan | August 27, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone gotten their tickets in the mail yet?

Posted by: Danny | August 27, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

check your UPS tracking number Danny

Posted by: MNMNT | August 27, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

the fact that Chief suggests that Clark "play through" a torn groin demonstrates that s/he's never played competitive sports at any level--I'd love to see how s/he handled a mere groin pull--and suggesting that Clark should "quit" cinches it. Thanks Chief, your post goes a long way towards explaining all your latent hostility.

Posted by: bigonetimer | August 27, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@ little2timer
You obviously believe everything you read and you are naive to think players don't play through these injuries.
I don't know (and don't care) if Clark had surgery or not, all I know is plenty of guys make it through no matter what, otherwise they lose their spot, something Capt. Clark did not have to worry about.

Mark my words, this upcoming season will be a let down, now that you have a well paid roster, look for them to all take a vacation, even AO.

Posted by: Chief | August 27, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Chief = Jagr

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

@ Chief

I think the Caps really misused Kolzig. Have you ever seen the release on his wrist shot? It's absolutely nasty. Why would he be playing in net? he should have been a bruising forward. Imagine how many goals he could get with a release like that. He'd be great in front of the net. Could have been a great mentor for Fehr. Talk about the Caps really misusing somebody.

Posted by: reekie | August 27, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

@Chief

Can you remind us about all the lucky bounces the Caps had after Thanksgiving last year? Remind us of how we ended the season, and how that will drive us into the ground because we are cocky

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

why does everyone still respond to the antagonizing troll? Dissent is one thing; C***f's goal is only to bait everyone into arguments. Don't give him the pleasure.

Legitimate question: The Semin we saw in the playoffs played with a mean streak, and newfound gumption, if you will. Is this the new Semin? Or will he revert to coasting, regular season Semin and rev it up late in the season again?

Posted by: Ben | August 27, 2008 3:34 PM | Report abuse

@Ben

good question.
to be honest, as much as I want to see the Semin of the playoffs, I still think we see the coasting, moody, dumb penalty Semin until the season heats up. I'll be disappointed if I see him still go down from one handed slashes and have to be carried off, but I won't be all that surprised. Not saying he isn't capable of being the player he was in the playoffs, but I just don't see it.

Posted by: reekie | August 27, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Yay! I'm so happy for Clark's groin!

Keeping my thu....err....fingers crossed just the same.....

Posted by: Pothier's Thumb | August 27, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Reading down this thread, I really started to dislike chief. Then I decided that he's like Don Rickles, saying the outrageous for effect. Because, if taken at his word, Chief is a doctor, an equipment manager, GM, player mind reader, etc.

As for Clark, let's be honest. We won't actually know how he's really doing until he plays in a game, and possibly only after a regular season game.

Posted by: old time hockey | August 27, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

I guess that's why Don Rickles calls everyone a hockey puck.

Posted by: uncatim | August 27, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: uncatim | August 27, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Steve R | August 27, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

At Semin comments earlier. I think a big part of Semin's problem was that there seemed to be little to play for. Now the Caps are a contender and games really matter. Hopefully I'm right and he'll stay focused now. He's also got a great mentor in Uncle Fedster and maybe even a little pressure to be a good role model for Backs.

As always, we'll see. I will predict one thing - if he does go back to the Semin of old he's gonna get traded.

Posted by: TheCapitalist | August 27, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

@TheCapitalist,

Traded to whom?

Who wants a moody prima donna with limited English skills? Unless the NHL works out a transfer deal with the KHL, I'm not sure Semin has a big market.

Posted by: old time hockey | August 27, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

@old time hockey
Don't kid yourself, If GMGM put out a press release that Semin was available
I am sure the list of teams would be long about inquiring.
Semin has more raw talent than anyone on this team and probably top 10 raw talent in the whole league. We just need to get it all out on the ice. think we will see the best of real soon!

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | August 27, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say traded for much!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | August 27, 2008 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I thought that this blog was going to the "must sign in" route?

I'm tired of trolls and tired of people answering to trolls.

Posted by: mauree | August 27, 2008 6:36 PM | Report abuse

@Mauree -- agreed

Posted by: JIM | August 27, 2008 6:40 PM | Report abuse

It's amazing how much Cheif knows about Clarks groin. I wonder if ol' captain crunch knows he's had someone snooping around that region so extensively.

Posted by: DC FURY | August 27, 2008 7:36 PM | Report abuse

wow, DC, that was, umm, disturbing.

This weather has given me a false sense of hockey season. Argh.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | August 27, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chief | August 27, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

"I have absolutely no personal knowledge of this matter but I know some guys that do..."

Posted by: oo7 | August 28, 2008 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@007: I don't post very often but I read this blog everyday. What you said makes perfect sense to me. Guess that makes both of us experts as well!

Posted by: LFR | August 28, 2008 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

Posted by: Tim | August 28, 2008 6:59 AM | Report abuse

@Old Time
"I'm not sure Semin has a big market."

Look at the sick money thrown at forwards with 1/2 the talent that Semin has - don't think there isn't a huge market for his caliber of skills. The Rangers or Canadiens would take him in second. You honestly think New York cares about if he's a head case? (Which I incidentally, do not believe.)
Semin has a lower hockey IQ than a guy like Gordon or Clark; if he had their awareness, Semin would be Pavel Datsyuk.

Posted by: Shaggy | August 28, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Regarding Semin

I think in a lot of ways he is the TO of the NHL. The guy has crazy talent, makes unbelievable plays, and if there is pressure he can turn it up to an "11." But just like TO who has a major problem with dropped balls, Semin loses focus and makes dumb plays. . .and I'm not talking about the penalties as much as I am the way he seems to disappear during long stretches of games.

My concern for him this year is that because the team is generally going to be better (they can win without their A game) that Semin will suffer. He doesn't strike me as a guy who can turn it on in an instant but rather needs the build up.

The question of value is hard to gauge. My guess is that his value is significantly higher then we give him credit for because he can be such an impact player . . .I remember watching him play against Carolina that last week of the season and he was everywhere.

Posted by: WhooHoo | August 28, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

My Prediction

Ovie - 60 goals
Semin - 50 goals

The Power Play will be lethal

Posted by: SA-Town | August 28, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Alrighty folks... lets get down to the real business... Fantasy Hockey...

I'm scouring around to find the best host site for the league (free, most options, best interface, in that order).

ESPN is free, but you'll need to create a profile. CBS Sportsline is good too, you'll also need an account.

So far I have these people as participants...

JSchon
Jordan
Honed
Yosh
Go Skins Go
Sombrero
Fullright
Whitermage
828
TFL (non WaPo STH)
Edgecomb (non WaPo Hartford Whaler fan)
CapCornDog
MNMNT
ontheverg

Thats 14 players... Please confirm your participation... 14 is the magic number.

Posted by: JSchon | August 28, 2008 10:06 AM | Report abuse

Actually CBS Sportsline is not free any longer... But it allows for a lot of stats and give me more options.

We need to figure it out.

Posted by: JSchon | August 28, 2008 10:14 AM | Report abuse

does this come to mind with anyone else about Cheif's comment?

Posted by: AP | August 28, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Sounding off, I hope I can play while at work.

Posted by: CapsCorndog | August 28, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

2 things:
1) Comparing Semin to TO is a bit of a stretch. Is Semin a headcase? Ehh... I'd say he's just not consistent. He's not calling anyone's sexual preference out, he's not a locker room problem when things are going bad. Can he take being called out by his players? Probably not, but he's not starting trouble. He's more of the guy with all the talent in the world, but isn't applying himself the way others do.

But I think Semin will be much better this year. Federov will make sure Semin stays in check. Semin will be our most defensively improved player this season.

2) I'm down w/ Fantasy hockey, but I don't want to drop too much $ (already dropped too much for fantasy fball - but I'll win some of that money back- I won't in a hockey league). So I vote ESPN but I'll do whatever the majority says.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | August 28, 2008 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Ahh yes, more contradictions from everyone's favorite big mouth, blow-hard:

"Reading these replies makes it clear that a vast majority of you are strictly fantasy players. So sad......for you."
Posted by: Chief | August 27, 2008 3:11 PM

"I've never skated before, but I know enough guys that played pro to know what I'm talking about."
Posted by: Chief | August 27, 2008 11:44 PM

What a tool!! Ha Ha! That last one sounds like it came straight from Napoleon Dynamite!!

He jerk, I've never flown a 747, but a guy on my hockey team is a pilot, so I guess that makes me an expert in aeronautics! HA HA!!!!!

I can't believe this chief person is real; it's got to be an act. Nobody can be that stupid and yet so sure of themselves. It really is comical.

Posted by: Chief=Moron | August 28, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

I'm in for fantasy hockey

yahoo is free

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | August 28, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

when is the draft again? I have a fantasy football draft at 5pm on Sep 5...

Posted by: MNMNT | August 28, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm still in...team toepick reporting for duty.

Posted by: fullright | August 28, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The draft wont be until late September.

Posted by: JSchon | August 28, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Time commitment is very minimal except for the draft... all you need to do is up date your roster once a week, and scour the free agent list from time to time.

Posted by: JSchon | August 28, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Draft will take 2 to 3 hours... 20 minutes a week is all that is needed...

Posted by: JSchon | August 28, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Chief | August 27, 2008 11:44 PM

So, you know enough guys that play pro hockey, huh? Well, since you've never laced 'em up (in any sport), why don't you ask one of these alleged "guys" about what a groin injury like Clark's means to a player's ability to skate, shoot, check, pass, get knocked on his butt and get back up, etc., all at full tilt for 20 min TOI?

If he doesn't respond by smacking the snot out of you for inquiring about his nethers, he'll say that a groin injury is one of the most difficult to come back from because of the stress put on that muscle EVERY SECOND ON THE ICE.

Better yet, why don't you get out of mom's basement, go to your local rink during a general skating session, and give it a go? Take a lesson, or just cling to the boards (like every first time skater) while hardscrabbling around the ice. It'll take some practice, but you'll figure it out.

But until then, you should STFU before trotting out bromides about "playing through it," and quit embarassing yourself.

Posted by: bigonetimer | August 28, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

@JSchon, fantasy hockey participants

I never played a US fantasy sport before. I'd like to play this - I hope you'll be patient with me if I have questions?

Posted by: mauree | August 28, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love the so-called experts that have never played the sport. Good job Chief, when you come out of your basement with your acid washed jeans and blank hockey jersey, ask your mom how long you can go outside to play for... Counting players that you know that are pro from video games don't count.

Pick another sport to complain about, the GameStop has some baseball games from 2007 on sale you can pretend to get to know.

Posted by: MNMNT | August 28, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

With a healthy lineup...our biggest problem maybe getting too cute with the puck...Nylander/Backstrom/Semin/Ovechkin/Green..all dangle and at times forget to KEEP IT SIMPLE...on the PowerPlay this could really hurt if they try to make too many passes and forget to shoot!!!

Posted by: mike b | August 28, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

My last date was with Chris Hanson from Dateline NBC

Posted by: Chief | August 28, 2008 10:46 PM | Report abuse

chief you dont know what the hell your tlkin about callin reekie an idiot and sayin clarks done. clark is rejuvinated now i guarantee you he will have a good season and just his presence in the line up will make the caps do better cause hes the team leader.

i bet chiefs a penguins fan

Posted by: Chiefs gay | August 31, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse