Clymer at home on road vs. Wild

Any professional athlete will tell you that playing in front of thousands of fans is a thrill, and that the feeling is magnified when the game is in their hometown.

Capitals defenseman Ben Clymer, a native of Edina, Minn., is about to go through that emotionally-charged experience Thursday at Xcel Energy Center, where 40 to 50 of his family members, friends and golfing buddies will gather to cheer their favorite NHLer as the Minnesota Wild plays host to the Caps.

The game will mark Clymer's first in St. Paul since 2002, and his first as a Capital. His previous games there came as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, where broke into the league as a defenseman and was converted to a winger. He switched back last month.

"It means so much to me because they don't have to come out, but they do," Clymer said after practice yesterday at Ashburn Ice House. He returned to the ice after missing Monday's session with an undisclosed minor injury.

"I've only been gone a month, but it's great that the team is staying over [Wednesday] night so I get to catch up with everyone," he added. "I'm really looking forward to it."

Clymer, who this month has sported a Minnesota Twins baseball hat around the rink, said the best part about playing at home is that his parents, Colleen and Richard, get to see him play an extra time. His folks each came to Washington once last season, he said.

Asked how much he spent on tickets, the 28-year-old smiled and said, "I'm not paying for that many. I'm lucky I've got friends who understand that it can get pretty expensive."

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 10, 2006; 4:11 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Good News/Bad News Kind of Day in Ashburn
Next: What Happened to Ovechkin's Mirrored Visor?

Comments

I bet his family hasn't seen him on a PP unit since, uh, WHL or NCAA play. Fun for all.

Posted by: Tyler Green | October 10, 2006 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Nice quotes from a guy with character to spare. Thanks!

Posted by: Sparky | October 11, 2006 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Washington Times reports that Gordon is on the IR.

Is this true?

Posted by: Greg | October 11, 2006 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I love your blog, but have one quick correction. While future Cap Joe Finley is from Edina, present Cap Ben Clymer is from Bloomington, a different suburb altogether.

Minnesotans notice these things.

Posted by: norske | October 11, 2006 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Taken directly from the city of Edina webpage:

Birthplace of: Adam Goldberg - 2005 NFL player (Minnesota Vikings, born: Aug 12, 1980), Ben Clymer - NHL player (Washington Capitals, born: Apr 11, 1978), Casey Hankinson - NHL player (Anaheim Mighty Ducks, born: May 8, 1976), Jim Brower - 2005 Major League Baseball player (Atlanta Braves, born: Dec 29, 1972), Mark Parrish - NHL player (New York Islanders, born: Feb 2, 1977), Mike Farrell - NHL player (Nashville Predators, born: Oct 20, 1978).

Posted by: Tarik | October 11, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

As for Gordon, he is, as of 1:33 pm, on the active roster. could change tonorrow if Bradley comes of IR.

Posted by: Tarik | October 11, 2006 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Based on that note, I probably saw Clymer play in the sectionals of the MN State Hockey Tournament while in the Twin Cities for the WCHA finals!

Tarik, have you have been to the high school state tournament in Minnesota? It is something else.

The year I went, it was at the old Met, the place was full as Bloomington and Edina squared off.....it was nuts!

Posted by: Hmmm | October 12, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Oops. Sorry about that. But I'll bet he was just born in the hospital there(probably Fairview Southdale Hospital). I've never heard of him actually living there -- he's always listed as being from Bloomington.

But definitely a score for you.

Posted by: norske | October 12, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

norske...you were right. I checked with Clymer today--born in Edina, raised in Bloomington. My bad.

Posted by: Tarik | October 12, 2006 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Wow, thanks! Now this is what I call an interactive blog.

Posted by: norske | October 13, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse