Clymer Clears Waivers

I was told earlier today that Ben Clymer had been put on waivers yesterday and cleared them at noon. Well, I just got that confirmed.

He's on his way to Hershey.

That means the Capitals must cut two more players by 3 p.m. tomorrow to get to the 23-man, opening-night roster max.

Here are the candidates: forward Jakub Klepis doesn't have a contract and appears to be a long shot to get one. Center David Steckel and defensemen Jeff Schultz and Mike Green don't have to clear waivers to be sent down. Schultz, though, told reporters after last night's game that he had been told to get a place to live in Washington. Green, as of last night, hadn't been told anything.

The Caps could also make a trade.

Update:Fleischmann's contract will pay him $495,000 this season, according to my sources.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 1, 2007; 4:03 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Decision Time
Next: Caps Are On The Clock

Comments

Posted by: Blank | October 1, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

blank- your an idiot.

wow, I cant believe he made it through waivers. Oh well that solves 1 spot.

Posted by: TJ | October 1, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Just for clarification: Arsene is the only player currently on waivers. Clymer cleared at noon, so he was put on yesterday. I didn't talk to my sources until well after that he cleared today. So Clymer's name was no longer on the list when they looked. Follow me?

Posted by: Tarik | October 1, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Totally didn't see this coming, guess he wasn't getting any interest from potential trade partners. Too bad, he's going to tear the A up and get claimed on the way up, stiffing the caps with half his salary. (If he gets recalled)

Posted by: cccp11 | October 1, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, that means Laich is on the team!!! I hope Stecks isn't sent down. He's been looking good during the pre-season and deserves a spot here.

Posted by: Tracy | October 1, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

No one wants to pay Clymer that kinda money...that's why he cleared.

Re-Entry waivers...now that's a different story.

Posted by: strungout | October 1, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

Have you heard confirmation that Clymer actually plans to report to Hershey?

Posted by: Stormblue | October 1, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

How does the re-entry waivers work?

Posted by: t | October 1, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Fascinating isn't it; management just can please it's wonderful "fans". Acquire a guy like Clymer and GMGM gets ripped; make some upgrades and cut BC loose, and suddenly BC has morphed into a national treasure. Amazing.

Posted by: cccc12 | October 1, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

If the caps got hit by injuries, Clymer would have to clear waivers to get called up. On re-entry waivers though, if anyone claims him, they get him at 50% of the price, with the caps paying the other half.

Eminger on the IR? Trade for a pick or rights to a prospect? They need to clear bodies out.

Posted by: Graham | October 1, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

TJ - vai se fuder

Posted by: Blank | October 1, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Tarik -Ted mentions a possible last minute trade in his blog and others have mentioned it too? Have you heard anything?

Posted by: Tracy | October 1, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

cccc12 - please put down the pipe... no one is claiming he's any kind of treasure, if anything someone needs to put out a news bulletin to the fat-chicks of Hershey,PA because there's a new sheriff in town.

I was hoping he'd be traded, not demoted.

Posted by: cccp12 | October 1, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

dear God,

please give GMGM the intelligence and wisdom to keep Mike Green.

from,
czechsmix

PS. If it's an option, also please smite the Penguins.

Posted by: czechsmix | October 1, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

czechsmix,
I am with you on Green!

Posted by: Blank | October 1, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

cccp12 - That's real classy of you.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 1, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm no Mike Green fan, but I have to agree with Tarik that the kid flat out earned a spot with his play in the pre-season. Can he keep it up night in, night out? I hope so, but I think he's ready.

I see them trying to keep Erskine for a little bit and maybe rotating him through with Schultz/Green and the ever declining Pothier. Emmer is completely expendable. If they can IR him and then send him to Hershey on conditioning, that might work.

On the O, Steckel needs to stay. Keep Suds over Bradley, at least until Stecks proves his mettel.

Posted by: old time hockey | October 1, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

czechsmix... I'm with you on both accounts ( a bit more the 2nd then Green - I'm willing to sacrifice him).

Posted by: Go Skins Go | October 1, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Don't see how Green can be sent down considering his play this TC...unless it is a paper shuffle and he sent down to Hershey and then brought up before Friday's game for some reason.

Posted by: usiel | October 1, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

They better keep Sutherby, he is the kinda of guy you win stanley cups with. Waive Bradley.

Posted by: Rick Green | October 1, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

RG: It's my understanding that the deadline to waive players was today. If Tarik is correct that Arsene is the only person who is currently on waivers, it would seem that no one else who needs to be waived will be sent down to Hershey for the moment.

Assuming Klepis is gone, that leaves 1 more cut. It sounds like Tarik expects Green to get the axe, unless a trade is in the offing.

I'm guessing the Caps will simply dump someone in IR and avoid making an immediate decision.

Posted by: billy | October 1, 2007 5:17 PM | Report abuse

It would be a shame to lose Green, who is tied with Ovie in preseason points?
Go figure. And besides his size, what exactly did "Sarge" Schultz do to "earn" a spot? Nearly every other player I watched through the pre-season played better than "I hit NOthing!" Schultz.

I would expect a trade coming - Emmy, Erskine are likely candidates. Keep Steckel too. His faceoffs are awesome!

Posted by: dogdaze | October 1, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

I think green in on the team. he's done enough.

Posted by: Tarik | October 1, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

billy,
How are you reading Tarik expects Green to be cut
If he goes down it will only be to give some time for a trade/another waiver to be made as some one else has posted.

Posted by: dorgeloh | October 1, 2007 5:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure why Schultz isn't being sent down to Hershey...he could use a bit more seasoning and time in the weight room. He isn't flashy but that isn't a bad thing.

Posted by: usiel | October 1, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

If memory serves, Flash will mkae $20K more than the league minimum.

Posted by: 20008 | October 1, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Man, lets get the season started already!! By the way, did any Comcast users have a problem with the Versus feed yesterday for the Ducks/Kings game? I got every channel yesterday except that one.

Posted by: Mitch | October 1, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

dorgeloh: I may have been reading WAY too much into this, but I was basing that off of this comment by Tarik:

"Schultz, though, told reporters after last night's game that he had been told to get a place to live in Washington. Green, as of last night, hadn't been told anything."

If Green gets cut, I will be surprised. He's had a great preseason, far better than Schultz to my untrained eye. He should be on the NHL squad. Same goes for Steckel, who is the only other player who can be sent down without having to first clear waivers.

If Schultz is definitely sticking around, I expect a trade, or someone to be placed on IR (Erskine, Eminger, or Sutherby maybe?). But that is 100% speculation.

Posted by: billy | October 1, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see one the wires today that Dan McGillis and David Tanabe were both released by their respective teams. Does anyone think the Caps might take a stab at one of these guys?

Posted by: Mitch | October 1, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

From the last set of posts....Erskine really isn't good. I would be surprised if they ever play him. Shultz, Jurcina and Morrison are all huge guys and if the caps want to be good, they are the ones that need to play physical. And if anyone watched Erskine fight in Philly, he got dropped hard with like 5 haymakers to his face.

As for Langway's stats from before, Langway was awesome. BUT, he played in a VERY, VERY different league. In today's league, guys like Erskine will only take stupid penalties and hurt the team.

Posted by: Rob | October 1, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Rob, while it's true that Erskine's usefulness is somewhat limited, but there are certainly situations in which he is useful. He's fine on the penalty kill, where his lack of mobility isn't so obvious and his physicality really comes in handy for clearing the crease. Certainly if Schultz or another can step up and turn up the physicality, Erskine's role will be reduced, but until that time comes we'll need more than just Jurcina on some nights. He's a perfectly suitable 7th or 8th.

Posted by: Brad | October 1, 2007 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bret | October 1, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Rob - FYI Schultz is tall but anything but a 'huge guy' especially when referenced in the same sentence as Jurcina.

As for Clymer, no surprise as he became expendable. However, I will be surprised if Schultz stays because that, to me, means Steckel didn't make the team right off the bat or some trade is about to happen. If there is a trade in the works, I can't see an NHL level player coming to the Caps even though we will no doubt be unloading one.

Posted by: Matt | October 1, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

I bought a full season plan last week at the open house. Just got a good feeling about this team. They are in a position that they have the depth to let quality players go. Clymer was by no means a star, but a valuable role player that can play D and forward. He'll be back in the NHL somewhere.

If they trade him, would he need to clear waivers again? Just because he clears, I assume doesn't mean that he needs to be assigned to Hershey. It just means that he can.

Posted by: Capitisles | October 1, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Rob: By your reasoning Rod Langway couldn't succeed in the league today? Just like I said Morrisson shouldn't be compared to Langway, neither should Erskine.

My point was that stats don't always tell the whole story.

Posted by: freakinanpeakin | October 1, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

>"I thought everything was supposed to be finalized by 3 PM!!!! Where's the update???"

By Tuesday, not today.

Posted by: exwhaler | October 1, 2007 7:57 PM | Report abuse

The suspense is killing me.
Oh, the only one that can be compared to Langway is Phaneuf. That kid is a monster. No one besides Phaneuf, not in the whole NHL. Langway, Stevens, Phaneuf. I wish he was in DC. I'd make a very big trade to bring him to DC.

Posted by: 007 | October 1, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

If Erskine doesnt make this team that leaves Morrisson as the lone "physical" D-Man and if we plan on going anywhere I guarentee that's something we try to acquire come March.

Posted by: allberts | October 1, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Phaneuf, plays the PP and takes about 2-3 dumb penalties a game.. hardly Langway

Posted by: allberts | October 1, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Phaneuf is young, he's gonna take bad penalties now and again. The comparison was more with the hitting and, regardless of a few penalties, the rather solid play.
The major point was that he is the closest thing to Lagway, and as you mention, he's not Langway. Or Stevens. The comparison should stop there. There cerainly isn;t anyone on the Caps like those two. Agreed?

Posted by: 007 | October 1, 2007 10:05 PM | Report abuse

"Schultz makes my wife look like an enforcer. He's 6'6 and plays like a mouse. Please dont compare him to Erskine ever again."

I'm not necessarily a big fan of Schultz or Erskine...but that's pretty funny.

Posted by: pmoravek | October 1, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Best case scenerio would be for Alzner to develop into one of those guys.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 1, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

unfortunately, some of our girlfriends/wives are enforcers...not even big ones, but they could make Erskine and Brashear cry.

Posted by: czechsmix | October 1, 2007 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Comparing Phaneuf to Langway is a stretch at best. Phaneuf, among other things, is an offensive threat posting 99 points in 161 career games. What were Langway's numbers you ask? 329 points in 994 career NHL games.

Your comparison is like saying that OV is the next Adam Oates.

Posted by: Yosh | October 1, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

While it would be great for Poti and Schultz to use their size in a more physical manner don't forget that Jurcina is a big guy and DOES throw the body.

Not a big deal, and that still potentially leaves the D looking kinda soft, but someone mentioned that Morrisson was the only "physical" guy on the blue line and I think Jurcina would argue.

Posted by: Jeff | October 1, 2007 10:44 PM | Report abuse

Here's my guess. Klepis is outside looking in. Schultz and Green are sent down. The Caps can always bring them back if they need to, and there's no waivers to clear. It's a freebie. Steckel stays. He's a good center that gets the puck. We need that on the 4th line and as a backup.

Having said that, It'll be Green staying. But dayum! Get a new picture! He's got a mohawk with a full head of hair. Looks ridiculous.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 1, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Interesting that Fleischmann wound up signing for such a low salary, and it's a two-way deal.

It could be looked at as a year-long tryout; if he puts up big points he'll cash in next year. If not he's probably a gonner.

Oneal

Posted by: Oneal | October 1, 2007 11:25 PM | Report abuse

makes him more of a choice for trades, if either he or the caps want it. It's more desirable for other teams, as he'd give them flexibility if he underperformed etc.

Posted by: czechsmix | October 1, 2007 11:34 PM | Report abuse

good to keep flash motivated. i've said before, the thing that bothered me about him was watching him looking lost when he didn't have the puck (one time i was close enought to see him skating around aimlessly, stairing into the benches). the possibility of a salary cut and demotion should keep him more honest.

Posted by: jim | October 1, 2007 11:47 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I've been meaning to say thanks for your hard work lately. Your articles have gotten better and better over the last year or so and I find real value in your stuff.

If Green doesn't make this team then things are not good in D.C. He has been as good as anybody on defense and better than most. They could send Schultz down for 10 games or so. He could use the ice time but if he stays that's fine too. I expect we'll see a trade or two in the next few days.

Posted by: JohnGalt | October 2, 2007 12:53 AM | Report abuse

I bet the Caps put somebody on IR. McPhee in recent seasons has been very careful about the waiver wire. These players still have some value to the team.
About Clymer: Nobody wants a fourth liner making 1mio and even more next season. You get those for the league minimum. If somebody was interested in him or his fellow overpaid grinders, he/they would have been long gone.

Posted by: Scai | October 2, 2007 3:13 AM | Report abuse

It's tough to see a gritty guy like Clymer take a demotion, and for some reason I doubt he'll clear re-entry waivers on the way back in with low-budget teams like Columbus and Nashville out there waiting to snatch up cheap talent.

He didn't put up great numbers, but he played his heart out whenever and wherever Hanlon chose to play him and was an integral part of the rebuilding effort.

It looks like we're officially in the final (and in my opinion, most difficult) phase of rebuilding - offloading the players who helped us retain some semblance of dignity through the mediocre years, but no longer fit in with the team's current level of talent and long-term plans. It's a little bittersweet, but a great indicator that we're getting where we've wanted to be for a long time now.

Posted by: HolyOlie | October 2, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Great point Olie. This is the sad - and exciting - step of swapping the stopgap players for those who will be part of the championship run. Okay, there, I said it. Maybe not this year, but in the next couple of years. Yeah, we could use a more physical defenseman, but I have a feeling that one of our current blue liners might step into that role (or Alzner in a year).

Posted by: Eric | October 2, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Any news? Will we know the final roster at 3pm sharp?

Posted by: Blank | October 2, 2007 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Any truth to the rumour that the Caps are looking to acquire Zherdev from Columbus? What would it cost -- Eminger and Sutherby?

Posted by: Ric | October 2, 2007 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Says who? Eklund? Please!

Posted by: Blank | October 2, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I just heard from a very good inside source, the Caps are bringing back Petr Sykora & Ivan Ciernek. Looks like things just got a bit more complicated.

Posted by: Rumor Mill | October 2, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I got an autographed Emminger puck last year for Christmas- figrued new guy on the rise, etc. So yeah, expect him to be traded, that puck will go with my Konowalchuck Jersey...

Posted by: Cjnpigs | October 2, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I just heard from a very good inside source, the Caps are bringing in Rip Talyor to run around the arena throwing confetti whenever the Caps score.

Posted by: HolyOlie | October 2, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

It's very interesting to see all the previews of the NHL teams and where the Caps fit in. I've seen them picked to win the Southeast and then on ESPN's initial power rankings they have them 25th out of the 30 teams. Burnside thinks they are a dark horse and may sneak into the playoffs. Buchigross has them ranked 14th in the East.

And I think most of us posters on here think they will at least challenge for a playoff spot all season. I guess time will tell if this is a playoff team or not.

Posted by: Jeff | October 2, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Jeff,

It's also interesting to see how much/little the experts know. Most of them list Emminger as one of the Caps core defenders. Makes you wonder.

Posted by: Yosh | October 2, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

It seems that the "experts" are hedging there bets on the Caps. Picking them low and then saying they could be a dark horse to make the playoffs.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 2, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Bluejacket's fans don't think much of Zerdev. Not a team player, over-rated, under performer. Here's a forum link pertaining to recent trade rumors.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

The above posted by me.

Posted by: Dezlboy | October 2, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Zherdev is exactly what this team doesn't need, and there's not one word about the Caps in any of those posts.

Posted by: HolyOlie | October 2, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Zheredev I believe has an albatross for a contract too.. no thank you

Posted by: allberts | October 2, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

IF we get into the playoffs, it'll be a real miracle. We're (still) a few years away from contention. The D is still way short. All these great prospects we have need to step it up a lot and start earning their keep. GMGM let the good ones get away. Hanlan better figure out how to get the remainders to overperform if they want a shot at the playoffs this year.

On the pundits... No way do the caps win the SE division. OK, maybe if Florida folds along with Carolina and Tampa. Oh, what the heck, might as well throw Atlanta in there, too. I think that 25 sounds about right.

Posted by: Greg S. | October 2, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Greg S.: Who were the good ones that GMGM let get away?

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 2, 2007 12:27 PM | Report abuse

In Sunday's game, did anyone else notice OV, Nylander, to name a few, having problems staying on their blades? It's a shame to see a character guy like Clymer go. He basically did all of what was asked of him by the club. Although that seems to be their track record for the past four years.

Posted by: someone else who knows | October 2, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

C. Perry, R. Getzlav, M. Richards, and this year S. Gagner

Posted by: someone else who knows | October 2, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL, hindsight 20/20 especially drafting.

Posted by: usiel | October 2, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

It's not hindsight when your given the information.

Posted by: someone else who knows | October 2, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

I saw the Zherdev rumour at "HockeyBuzz" --http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=9692. Not much substance to it, that's why I was asking the question whether Tarik has heard anything along those lines.

Posted by: Ric | October 2, 2007 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Okay then, give GMGM credit for drafting Semin, which many felt was way to high. That is just off the top of my head.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | October 2, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Let's see if he lasts first.

Posted by: someone else who knows | October 2, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Amazing... As much as they've improved this summer, and as bright as the future looks, you still gripe and moan and make straw-man hindsight arguments.

We'll all have our answers soon enough.

Posted by: HolyOlie | October 2, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Semin will last

Posted by: Blank | October 2, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Why not claim Tverdovsky? Oh. Log jam.

Posted by: Whiter Mage | October 2, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

Good site! I'll stay reading! Keep improving!

Posted by: Nicole | November 10, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse