Clymer Sets Unofficial Record

Sixty-eight guest passes have been issued on behalf of Capitals defenseman Ben Clymer for tonight's game against the Wild. Clymer, who grew up in nearby Bloomington, is playing in Minnesota for the first time since December 2002, when he was a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning.

"It could be a franchise record," a club employee said, referring to the number of passes.

Asked why he's so popular, Clymer joked: "I guess I'm just a nice guy."

I imagine a number of opposing players would disagree with him.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 12, 2006; 3:56 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: What Happened to Ovechkin's Mirrored Visor?
Next: Ovechkin Admired From (Really) Afar.

Comments

Ok, this is off topic but something seems to definitely be bothering Ovechkin in games. Doesnt have the same jump, speed and fight he had last year. Sure he's getting shots, but none too quality. What's going on here?

:-(

Posted by: Greg | October 12, 2006 11:16 PM | Report abuse

I think Ovie heard the critics saying he doesn't make others better and is trying to pass more. Other than that, it looks like every team is going with a "triple team Ovechkin and zone cover the others" strategy.

BTW the Caps still seem to have a problem of being unable to sustain pressure. It's still one shot and done.

Posted by: tallbear | October 13, 2006 9:32 AM | Report abuse

tallbear i completely disagree. ovechkin isnt passing all too much at all. he has 24 shots on goal and all these shots are just simple outside shots to the net that he hopes will be rebounds. not many truly quality shots. this is sad. he's definitely not the same player he was last season, not at all.

Posted by: Greg | October 13, 2006 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Not every shot on net is going to be a quality scoring opportunity. Gretzky said that 100% of the shots you don't take won't go in -- an endorsement of a "get it on goal" theory instead of only quality shots. Fernandez absolutely robbed Ovechkin in the last game, and remember before he scored in the Carolina game, Ovie falling to his knees and almost asking loud enough for everyone to hear "what do I have to do"? My point is that he is getting good opportunities, sometimes they don't go in. Let's give him some time and see whether they start finding the net again before we get too worried about what's wrong with Ovechkin. Everyone has non-scoring streaks in hockey. Maybe he's just getting over his early! What you can't afford to do is press too much, and what you have to do is just get it on goal. I think that's exactly what he's doing right now.

Posted by: Fred | October 14, 2006 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Well... I hope you're right. :(

If 10 games from now, not much changes, then I say its safe to start worrying.

Posted by: Greg | October 14, 2006 11:04 AM | Report abuse

After 10 games, I'll be worrying with you! For now, Ilya Kovalchuk hasn't scored a goal this season -- and let's hope tonight isn't his breakout night.

Posted by: Fred | October 14, 2006 6:33 PM | Report abuse

Another Sub-par outing by Ovechkin's standards today.

Posted by: Greg | October 14, 2006 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

If you read this, I saw your interview with Ovechkin on the Caps website. When you asked him "Are you okay?" did you sense something was bothering Ovechkin off the ice with family or perhaps an injury? Because I think he's definitely been rattled a bit this season.

Posted by: Jerry | October 15, 2006 9:43 PM | Report abuse

I asked Alex if was okay because he didn't seem to skate with the same burst of energy I'm used to seeing from him. I asked him, however, knowing what the answer would be. In two years of covering Alex, his answer is always the same, "I'm okay" -- even when he's a bit banged up. Which is what I suspect.

Posted by: Tarik | October 16, 2006 12:17 AM | Report abuse