Cox to Carry Games in HD

For those with Cox cable, you now will be able to watch the Caps (and other local teams) on Comcast SportsNet in HiDef.

From Cox:

Cox Communications Northern Virginia announced today that it has added Comcast SportsNet HDTV to its programming lineup. The new channel will allow sports fans to enjoy Washington Wizards, Washington Capitals, Redskins preseason, college basketball, college football and D.C. United action, all in true high-definition format.
The launch is particularly timely since the Washington Capitals amazing run to the playoffs begins Friday, when they battle the Philadelphia Flyers. The National Basketball Association's Washington Wizards have also clinched a playoff berth, so Comcast SportsNet HDTV will feature Wizards playoff games as well.

Read the release here.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  April 10, 2008; 2:05 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morrisonn and Schultz Appear Good to Go
Next: Briere Hopes to Play

Comments

FINALLY! Now I don't have to move to MD to watch the caps in HD

Posted by: Jeff | April 10, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Repost from earlier:

@ 828, Haha, do you know what part of Canada they were from? I'm guessing not Nova Scotia, since everybody there except my relatives are Pens fans. Probably not Ontario, although maybe, since their teams aren't doing real hot. Alberta, no, they'd be proud Flames fans. Definitely not BC. They're proud of their Canucks. Quebecois tend to avoid traveling outside of francophone areas. Newfoundland would explain a lot. Hmmmm...

@ Dave, You want to see combustion? Pens-Habs for the EC finals. The rest of Canada would try to get Nova Scotia to secede. Thankfully, we're safe, since one of them won't make it by way of the Caps.

Oh, I agree completely Tommmy. I don't think the Flyers are underestimating us. But a lot of the talking heads do. I'm certainly not underestimating the Flyers. As much as I would love to see a Caps sweep, I know the odds of it happening are not good. But I do think we can win the series. This is going to sound really cliche, but as long as we dictate the tempo of the games, I think we can do really well against the Flyers.

29 Hours to Go!!!

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

It has had Comcast Sports Net in HD for a week now. Always great that COX never informs you of new channels. Their reps told me they would have it in a month. Of course than was over 2 years ago. Thanks for CSNHD, with 1 game left in the season before the playoffs.

Posted by: JS | April 10, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@jeff....Just wanted to thank you for not saying first...

Posted by: Rich /C | April 10, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

@JD in SD

I'm from the Bay Area. I'm a Caps Fan because I used to live in Virginia, but I moved out here. During spring break, I go back East and see them play at different places. This year I saw them play in Carolina when Kozlov won the game in the shootout. It was really sweat.

Posted by: CA Caps Fan | April 10, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Does that include

OVECHCAM HD???

Who were the brain-wizards on that marketing stunt?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I LOVE COX!

Posted by: jamebow | April 10, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

From the previous post and to try to start something up:

@ Tommmy and jmu_capsgirl:

In the end, whether the Flyers fear us or we fear them, the Caps will win. I have no doubts.

We need to start with the positives only, no negativety entries on this blog. Normally I say that the day of the game, but the playoffs are different.

Not to open the Olie bashing/support debate again, but I am sure you have noticed if the series goes 7 games, the final game is the day after Game 6. Do you play Huet for both or have Olie start one? I think you need Huet in a Game 7, but would you risk it to win it during Game 6. I guess it comes down to are you trying to win the series in Game 6 or trying to stay alive.

Just a topic for thought.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 10, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@JS

Agreed about Cox and other cable providers who veil the release of new HD channels which I will never understand.

Regardless nice to finally have CSNHD. Though I would have been pretty frakking pissed if the caps ended up losing against FL and we got one game, heh. /ends rand

Posted by: usiel | April 10, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

@ CT,
Don't worry, I'm pumped! I'm positive! We'll win!!! I couldn't sleep last night I'm so excited and its only Thursday.
Oh, and way to wake the sleeping giant...:P

Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan - My first thought is: Huet all the way.

Though i guess it could depend how it is we get to game 7 (if the caps are up games or the flyers are). If Huet can play the way he has down the stretch, keep him in. If the numbers are not there then we can start that discussion. Though I will say - Olie is a beast in the playoffs (though it has been a while) I am confident in him as a great backup.

Posted by: Grape8 | April 10, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

@CT Caps Fan

In the playoffs you usually ride one goalie, unless the numbers aren't good, and you are down 2-0, or something like that.

No goalie playing well in the first 5 games is going to take game 6 off to rest for 7.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 10, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@ SA-Town

You might say that any team with a goalie playing that well in the first 5 games shouldn't in a position where they are playing a Game 6 or Game 7. :)

@ jmu_capsgirl

I get 2 minutes for instigating. :)

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 10, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Woo thats awesome! I dvr that game saturday because of the history, and I was there, and it was in HD. The crowd looked SICK in HD. Full seats, and a ton of red. So good!

Posted by: Jake | April 10, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Cox still doesn't even have it listed in their HD offerings. Not even TravelHD (which was added a few weeks prior to CSN).

Posted by: FFS Enough | April 10, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

You keep Huet in

Why would you put Olie in? Sure, he played well in the few games he got in but Playoffs are not a time to be alternating goalies.

Posted by: Tommmy | April 10, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@ FFS

They didn't announce the NHL network until at least 3 weeks after they were broadcasting it. I called them up and asked specifically when they would have it, they informed me over the phone that it would be up the next day, so that's how I knew. If I waited for updated announcements from them, it would have been forever.

I guess they are getting better if they announced the CSN HD this week, as they had it up last Friday.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | April 10, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Common wisdom sure, except...the Caps beat Pitt in 94 by alternating goalies. Schoenfeld knew Beaupre couldn't win through the whole series, so he started Dafoe in two games. Beaupre won all of his and the series 4-2. Just sayin'...

Posted by: katzistan | April 10, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

So you just went back 14 years to prove that you can alternate goalies?

Different time and different teams.

Olie is not capable of providing solid starts to win a series. Putting him in will handicap your team.

Posted by: Tommmy | April 10, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Olie can play solid enough to win a game in a back to back situation. He has proven he can here at the end of the year. Personally, I do not think we will even get to this point. I think we win in 5.

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Oh boy the excitement for tomorrow is already starting, just got my tickets and I can't think about anything else

Posted by: AP | April 10, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

CT my friend

Please tell me what you base your 5 game prediction on?

I ask because nobody can back up their predictions

Posted by: Tommmy | April 10, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

The Vs. game on Friday doesn't look like it will be broadcast in HD in the District. VS splits the HD channel with the Golf Channel, which has a Masters special during the game. A hearty "boo" on that one. Anyone know a way around the sad fate of watching in non-HD? Besides getting tix, of course...

Posted by: Comcast Stillstinks | April 10, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Find a bar with HD?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

hey can anybody who knows please answer this. Game 7 is on a Tuesday, Tarik's post said game time is TBD, but this says it is at noon http://stats.washingtonpost.com/nhl/teamstats.asp?teamno=23&type=schedule
does anybody know if game 7 will really be at noon on a Tuesday???

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

@Comcast Still Stinks

I think the hockey game will be on Camcast HD. It might say Wizards on your guide, but due to the Caps playoffs, the Wiz will be moved.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

You can see here that Fri's game is on Comcast in HD. Sundays will be on NBC in HD

Posted by: SA-Town | April 10, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Since Philly plays on Comcast also, Tuesdays and Thursdays away games will also be a shared HD feed.

I think all 7 games will be in HD in the Washington area.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Game 7 is not at noon.....It actually starts at 6:30 a.m...

OF COURSE IT'S NOT AT NOON!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Caps in 5.
2:0, split in Philly and win at home.

Let's go Caps!

Posted by: kING hUET | April 10, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

stupid cox jabroni's. it was announced it would launch april 24th, so said my bill. i am a little happy they launched early, but an announcement would have been nice. the picture quality is the opposite of regular csn, which is on par with jimmy kimmel live and public access.

Posted by: papa lurch | April 10, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

"I've had a good run here," Kolzig said Thursday. "And I hope it continues in the next two months."

In other words, until the playoffs are over. After that, Kolzig will become a free agent, presenting an understandably murky future for a 38-year-old goalie who lost his starting job just as the Capitals were becoming good again.

"The worst thing I can do is have a pity party," Kolzig said. "I'm not really going to talk about the situation until the end of the year, but it is what it is and I've come to grips with it."

Kolzig has been supplanted by Cristobal Huet, acquired from Montreal at the trade deadline. Huet and Kolzig split playing time for a few games, but Huet was too good to sit. He is 11-2 since joining the Capitals, and his wins in nine consecutive starts at the end of the season mark the longest streak by a Washington goalie in more than 20 years.

Posted by: kING hUET | April 10, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Is it Friday yet? Ph Philly

Posted by: Hew | April 10, 2008 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I've heard from my dad that a couple of cable providers on the Eastern Shore dropped comcast sports net. Unfortunately his provider is also the sole provider of high speed internet to his new development, and they only offer internet as a pacakge with TV service.

Call and complain! I just called pretending to be him and the guy who answered the phone said they are logging complaints and will be using them to try and negotiate with CSN.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 10, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Good that Joe B & Locker will be on HD in all their glory.

Big fan of theirs. As oppose to that nitwit pro Pens moron from the bench on NBC.

Posted by: Victor | April 10, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, wish that the Olie vs Huet debate would die its natural death. That mule has been beaten enough.

Anybody going with a mohawk for Friday?

Posted by: Steve R | April 10, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on that, Steve.

I tried yesterday to 'hawk my hair, but its too long. I ended up looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket. It doesn't work quite as well for us girls as it does for guys. However, I'm all for encouraging others to do it.
Rock the Red! Rock the Hawk! Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

I wonder what my former Army general boss would say to me if I showed up tomorrow for work with a mohawk...

Posted by: SuperCaps | April 10, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@ SuperCaps

...probably something similar to what my Brigade Commander would say if I showed up for drill that way on Saturday!

Posted by: Baildog | April 10, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

@jmu capsgirl

"tried yesterday to 'hawk my hair, but its too long. I ended up looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket"

Not a good look, eh? I already have tickets, so not really motivated to do the mohawk.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:47 PM | Report abuse

@ SuperCaps,
He'd probably say something along the lines of
"I see you're a Caps fan. Congratulations. Go ahead and take the rest of the day off to get ready for the game tonight. Actually, take the rest of the playoffs off. I'll make sure your pay is deposited into your bank account. Let's go Caps!"

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@ anon,
Definitely not a good look. I think DC101 would make me shave it to get a ticket, though. I also think I would lose all parental support should I do that. So I'll just cheer from the safety of my couch.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

You could wear a wig when your parents come to visit.

Posted by: Steve R | April 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

So, I have my office window open and I hear cars honking a little up the street. And, I think man, that sounds like a Let's Go Capitals honk. The cars get closer. I look outside my window and see a convertible with Slapshot standing in the back along with 2 people in Caps jerseys with their face painted red holding a giant Caps banner. A car behind them was also filled with people in jerseys. Of course I yelled a very loud Let's Go Caps out my window. How cool!

Tomorrow can't get here soon eough.

Posted by: Jordana | April 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

Rents are supposed to be ignored. We've been ignored since you kids turned 13 or 14, so what's a few more weeks?

Posted by: Greg S. | April 10, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@ Steve,
Ha, this is one girl who still doesn't ignore her parents. Especially since they help pay her rent. Speaking of paying my rent, I'm about to be late for work.
And my mother would freak out. She lives vicariously through my hair since hers turned grey about the time my older brother turned 13 and started ignoring her.

@ Jordana, how cool indeed?

Later!

Let's go Caps!!!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I actually had to do some work.

@ Tommmy: Basis for predictions? Please, no predictions have a basis and if someone says they do, they are guessing at those basis.

I think we have a better team and I am a fan. I am a positive thinker because I lived the first 20 years of my Caps Fan life thinking the negative all the time.
I do not worry about the flyers physical play and size because we are bigger and hit more than they do (the stats show it). I believe we are also faster where we can skate around many checks to get clear shots on goal and/or produce multiple power plays. Plus, a win in 5 means we do it on home ice (I know in 7 does too, but in 5 sounds better).

I am not saying this to be mean and it is in all due respect, but you seem to think in the negative, like I used to do. If you are a true Caps fan and not a Flyer fan (because a lot of what you say sounds like you are), then enjoy the ride with us and think positives.

Let's Go Caps!!!

Posted by: CT Caps Fan | April 10, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Im going to shave my back into a Mo-Hawk...

or a "Back-Hawk"

Posted by: Joe Benninadi | April 10, 2008 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Sorry if this was already posted in another thread, but I didn't see it... from ESPN. All 3 guys are giving us fans, and the RED-OUT, mad props... keep it loud and proud in DC!!!!!!!!

Question 5. Which arena will have the most electricity in the first round?

Burnside: It's hard to believe I'm writing this, but the Verizon Center in Washington.

Hradek: The Bell Centre just ain't the Forum, but the place will be nuts when the Habs take the ice to face the Bruins. The atmosphere will be nuclear! The Verizon Center in D.C. should be jumping, too.

Melrose: The Shark Tank. It's the loudest building in the NHL. All of the first-round arenas will be great; Washington will be unbelievable. But with all of the optimism and the team's strong finish to the regular season, San Jose will be rockin'.

Posted by: Scofield | April 10, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I was just reading the same thing Scofield. Gave me goose bumps. We better hold up our end of the bargain.

Did you also see when they were talking about which pair will be more fruitful, Crosby-Hossa or Forsberg-Hejduk:
Burnside: I think this spring is Hossa's time to shine. Crosby-Hossa.

Hradek: In 2008, I'd have to take the Crosby-Hossa duo over the Forsberg-Hejduk pairing. Five years ago, this would be more of a contest. Of course, Crosby was just 15 then. For the record, Caps veteran Sergei Fedorov has found a nice chemistry with young sniper Alexander Semin.

Melrose: Crosby and Hossa. Forsberg is playing hard, but he's not the offensive force he once was. I really think Hossa is going to put a lot of those past criticisms to rest. He's going to have a strong postseason.

Giving us mad love.

Then he had to go and blow it by announcing his Conn Smythe winner as Crysby. Malkin out played him so bad last night.....

Posted by: Roger #94 | April 10, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Regarding Philly's hit stats...

A few people have mentioned that the stats show that we've out-hit the Flyers. When watching a Flyers broadcast crew one day, they mentioned how stingy the Philadelphia stats guy was in giving out hits. Apparently, you really have to hit someone hard to register a "hit" in Philadelphia. So those stats are pretty skewed by all of the home games they play.

Now I'm not saying I'm worrie they're going to out-tough us, but they are very tough and hit lots more than the stats suggest.

Posted by: TripDonkeys | April 10, 2008 6:23 PM | Report abuse

TripDonkeys - don't nhl officials take stats... not team officials?

Posted by: 828 | April 10, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

@828,

Short answer: I don't really know, I'm just reporting what I heard from the Flyers broadcast team (they really have no reason to lie or be misinformed)

Longer answer: I think NHL keeps a number of official stats, like goals, assists, PIMs, SOG, but there are an increasing number of unofficial stats like shots-not-on-goal, TOI, and I'm guessing hits. I think these unofficial stats must just be kept by the teams. But I haven't done the google search to know for sure.

Posted by: TripDonkeys | April 10, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Six days is a long time to wait - I am ready for the game tomorrow! I think my husband is, too. I wrote awhile ago that I was going to make a real hockey fan of him yet. He has always liked hockey, but I think this playoff push is starting to make him love it! It's pretty cool ... Anyway, let the games begin and LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Boo! | April 10, 2008 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Want to read the Philly perspective?

Tune into this blog at phillynews.com...http://blogs.phillynews.com/dailynews/eagles/

Trust me, this isn't an Eagles' blog even though the link suggests as much.

Posted by: Terptwin | April 10, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Anyone think Clark, Nyls or Pothier will make it back during the playoffs?

Posted by: Boo! | April 10, 2008 8:37 PM | Report abuse

For those who care, the Green Faux-hawk is on the Idiot in the Morning website.* With the helmet rule, we won't see it. I like Mike Green, but in the old time, no helmet world I used to play in, arriving with such a haircut would require that somebody beat you on the ice.

I'm going to go eat my strained prunes now, or something.

*You can use The Google to find it.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 10, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Discussing the Conn Smythe winner after one game... Suuuuuure. (and of course it's Crosby. C S=Crosby, Sidney Award. See?) As if ESPN's hockey coverage didn't already lack enough credibility. This just in, Michael Wilbon to join their team as an "expert analyst." ;-)

Posted by: JB | April 10, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

and what did crosby do in that game to earn it? nothing
why not sakic he did score a game winning goal in overtime!? that seem a little more praiseworthy than doing nothing

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Come on guys. Sindey has chosen to grace the hockey world with his presence. That, and only that, is enough of a reason to award him the Conn Smythe, the Hart, the Pearson, the Lady Byng, and the Masterton. Maybe even the Vezina. Can we not just accept the fact that Crosby has saved hockey?

Anyway, I friend TiVo'ed the N. Dakota game for me, and although I already know they get beat, I'd like to see what kind of player Finley is. (Not withstanding his ability to lay the smack down on Bucky the Badger or whoever that was.)

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 10:02 PM | Report abuse

21 hours till game time. Tomorrow is going to a long day

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

@JB

Not JUST one game. One of the FIRST games played in the playoffs, before most teams play their first game!

That's just plain ignorant.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 10, 2008 10:05 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo,
I tend to doubt it. I'm going to be completely ripping off Vogel right now: Clark they're not going to push because of the situation that happened with Sutherby and his groin injury. It'll happen when it does, but if things are working good with the lineup they have, I don't see them rushing him in even if he is 100% and risk re-injuring it.
Nyls I don't see either. He's got a couple more years on his contract and rather than push him and end his career early, they'll wait it out and give him til training camp to return to fighting form.
I have no idea on Pothier. However, I'm sure his concussion/head injury was much worse than my brother's and he couldn't play high-school level football for 6 months. I don't see him back, since we really haven't heard anything on him skating, let alone at practice.

However, should June 8th roll around and we're still in need of guys in uniforms and any of them are ready, I don't see them being refused. June 9th is a long time from now and anything is possible, right?

Let's go Caps!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Comcast hardly ever shows the road games in HD...very few...so since I'm at almost all the home games, I very rarely get to see the Caps in HD. Come one Comcast...get with it...it's 2008 already!

Posted by: fishman | April 10, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

Also, it would do Comcast good if they would bring back HD-NET! They have a lot of hockey and we can't even see it in the D.C. market. Insane. You would think Comcast would be better than that.

Posted by: fishman | April 10, 2008 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Hello, JMU!
I hope your evening at work was lovely!! :-) Interesting thoughts about our IR, however I am going to have to disagree with you (and Vogel ;-)). I had not thought about it much when I posted the question, other than to think that it seemed like they would NEVER come back! But since then I have determined that Clark will come back soon, Nyls in the 2nd or 3rd round (because we will make it that far!) and Pothier not at all. (I say 'I have determined' - like I know what I am talking about!?!) Anyway, who knows, but those are my thoughts. Oh, and I assume that Stecks will be back tomorrow?

Steve:
Did you ever pick a number?

Posted by: Boo! | April 10, 2008 10:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, work was just lovely. If they do come back during the playoffs, I think you've got the order right. Although, depending on his health, we might see Nyls come back before Clark.
Stecks will be in the line-up tomorrow with Brash and Brads on the fourth. Gordo will be centering Laich and Flash, I think. Sorry, I had nothing to do all day but cleaning/laundry and listen and reading anything and everything Caps.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Don't you just love the imagination of the guys over at the Onion??

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: King Huet | April 10, 2008 10:51 PM | Report abuse

JMU:
Thanks for the update - that was helpful! Oh, and I love the Onion! :-) Did something prompt that or is that just them being whacky again? Too funny ...

Posted by: Boo! | April 10, 2008 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: King Huet | April 10, 2008 11:05 PM | Report abuse

@ Boo, no clue, but didn't the Preds lose their first game against the Avs?? So I'm not sure.

@ KH, Could they have misspelled Huet's name any more?

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 11:14 PM | Report abuse

THIS IS CRAZY I CANT TAKE IT

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 11:21 PM | Report abuse

I am positive, but some of you think this is gonna be a cake walk you are surely mistaken. The Flyers have depth, a lot of depth, I see it coming down to the goaltenders, and I would rather have Huet, than Biron. I almost wish the Flyers were getting more attention, I hope the Caps don't read into a lot of the predictions.

Posted by: Flyer Hater | April 10, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I have something I could be studying for, but I'm having too much fun researching "the playoff beard". Now, I realize that for some of the Caps, its going to be the "playoff hawk", but there's just something iconic about a playoff beard.
For your reading pleasure:

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 11:29 PM | Report abuse

What channel is the new Comcast HD on Cox Cable in Fairfax? I can not find it in the listings.

Sorry if this has been anwsered already and I just missed it.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted by: Sec 117, Row T | April 10, 2008 11:36 PM | Report abuse

What's happening to the Ducks? Weren't they supposed to be defending something, you know, something important? You may have seen it laying around. About 35 inches high, about 35 pounds. Tower of gleaming silver, got a bunch of names on it, with a big bowl on top. No? Huh.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 10, 2008 11:44 PM | Report abuse

A bit late response but its been a long day..

Im a fan of the game CT...I follow every team. On paper, the caps look faster and bigger..but wait till the game.

1st 10 minutes are key..if Philly comes out on top there..watch out.

Posted by: Tommmy | April 11, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

In other news...

Notre Dame beats Michigan in OT in the Frozen 4. They will meet Boston College for the finals.

Posted by: Greg S. | April 11, 2008 12:31 AM | Report abuse

@ Greg,
Watched a little bit of that game. Saw Teddy Ruth and got excited. Then I realized we traded him and got a little sad. Then realized we traded him for...Sergei Federov, holy crap!...and was completely over it.
Congrats to Notre Dame and BC.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 11, 2008 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Comcast HD Cox Channel 734

Posted by: Bubba | April 11, 2008 1:28 AM | Report abuse

O.K. The day is here, I cannot wait to get to the arena!

These are the guys that I am looking to for some big hits tonight;

Alex Ovechkin, Matt Cooke, Matt Bradley, Donald Brashear, John Erskine.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: Super | April 11, 2008 4:42 AM | Report abuse

The Real Ovechkin Era begins tonight, and I will be there!

I made a "deal with the devil" in November when my wife asked what the Caps' chance of winning the cup was at that point. I'm not sure what the exact answer was, but I swore I'd get a Stanley Cup tattoo if they did. This could be interesting!

Posted by: The Capitalist | April 11, 2008 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Not been around for a few days but back now.

Game Day is here folks, face off is just over 12 hours away now!

To all those going to VC tonight. Step up the cheering, shouting, singing, chanting, roaring, yelling to new levels.

Come on you boys in Red!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 6:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm too excited to sleep!!! Luckily theres this thing called work. WOOOOOOO

LETS GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 6:51 AM | Report abuse

@jmu_capsgirl

I like the Ducks, they're strong and organized. Yesterday many things went Dallas way. I hope they'll regroup.

T minus 12 hours.

L.E.T.S. G.O. C.A.P.S.

Posted by: mauree | April 11, 2008 7:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm ready for some HAWK-EAT, HAWK-EAT, HAWK-EAT!! Let's go put the stuffing in the turkey, the turkey in the oven and the cat in the hat!!! LET'S GO CAPS!!! :-D

Posted by: Boo! | April 11, 2008 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Ha! Calm Boo alittle Boo, you still have a little over 11 hours to go. Don't peak too soon!

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 7:44 AM | Report abuse

Obviously that last post was to read:
Calm down Boo!

Clearly I am too excited to proof read before hitting submit.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

@Boo!
may I add it's time to "open those flyers" with many organic AO goals?

Posted by: mauree | April 11, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

I've been battling this for days now...

Since I've done a goofy little prayer, the Caps havent lost...

Do I continue for the post-season?

Posted by: JSchon | April 11, 2008 7:49 AM | Report abuse

Red Dusk is up on us.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 7:54 AM | Report abuse

Drop the damn puck already!

I have a feeling the Caps are going to be really tight. But I think they'll be ok if they stay out of the box and can get the first goal.

Posted by: dave | April 11, 2008 8:01 AM | Report abuse

JSchon:
PRAY-ER, PRAY-ER, PRAY-ER! :-D

Dave:
Sounds like you need to calm down, too! ;-) How about this:

LET'S PUT THE SUFFING IN THE TURKEY, THE TURKEY IN THE OVEN AND LET'S CRANK THE OVEN UP TO HIGH!!! ROAST FLYERS FOR EVERYONE!!! :-D

(Dave - I suppose that would be a 'cooker' for you?!?)

mauree:
I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds good to me - don't forget to add the garnish!! (Again, don't know what that means, but let's go with it!! ;-))

RED DUSK?!? HA!! I like it!!!

Posted by: Boo! | April 11, 2008 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Tonight......WE.......are the greatest hockey team in the world.

Posted by: dave | April 11, 2008 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Huet seems to have a good record against the Flyers this year... 3-0-1. Not that it matters, but it's a bit more comforting. I just hope we see the Caps that are hungry... not the Caps that are full.
It will be an awesome game tonight and I am hoping more Caps fans bought tix than Philly fans. I will be rocking my red! Did you all hear Elliot in the Morning - Rock the Hawk for Mike Green... seems like bunches of people are getting mohawks for the season... def pretty cool stuff.
Why can't hockey be like this in Washington all year around. It sure is great!

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

JSchon,
Why even ask? There HAS to be a prayer prior to every Caps game. Hey, I don't make the rules.

Boo,
Cooker/Oven its all the same to me.

Song for tonight to the tune of "She'll be coming round the Mountain":

If Briere can play for the Flyers, so can I
If Briere can play for the Flyers, so can I
If Briere can play for the Flyers
If Briere can play for the Flyers
If Briere can play for the Flyers, so can I

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 8:46 AM | Report abuse

JSchon - have at it... do it until they wheels come off.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

@ 828 - If OA and the guys rock the playoffs like I expect, cup or not, this town is going to take notice of what's going on and be back next season. I'm glad I got in when I did and landed good season tickets!

Posted by: TheCapitalist | April 11, 2008 8:49 AM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl,

Sorry - not sure where they were from, but they were a bit irritating. I met a bunch from Ontario and they said that the people there are either Maple Leaf fans or Red Wing fans.

They were just annoying - knocking on the Caps and saying the Montreal was basically the underdog. They even talked a lil smack about Huet. They were not being rude about it - it was just like they didn't know anything else... "my team is great and yours is 'okay'" type of attitude.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

TheCapitalist - I agree 100%... just wish it didn't have to be that way. I love the excitement that DC has and it would be awesome to get where Detroit is in the upcoming years. On the other hand, I was actually getting used the VC not having to wait in lines or wait 15 minutes to go to the bathroom... now I have to plan ahead!

Maybe now, the VC will update their Credit Card machines.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Ten hours away and I already have more butterflies than the day I got married!!! No work will be getting done today. Huet be the guardian of DC between the pipes and Ovie smash those Flyers please!!!!!

GO CAPS!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Phil | April 11, 2008 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Maybe the Nats will just show the Caps game on the Scoreboard screen tonight.

Thats what everyone wants to see!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 11, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Anybody live in NY and gathering at a sports bar?

Posted by: Portis | April 11, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

yea - it's friday

Posted by: hew | April 11, 2008 9:21 AM | Report abuse

To be honest, I am nervous about this series. The Flyers are a veteran team with players with lots of playoff experience. They will come out and slow the game down in the first half of the 1st period to take the crowd out of it. They will also pressure our young D to give up the puck in our zone and try to take advantage. They know the Caps are fast and want to go into the zone with speed. The Flyers will try to prevent this. I expect a long hard faught series but in no way are the Caps set to advance (I obviously really hope they will).

Also, can people not include the words "Stanley Cup" and "Capitals" in the same sentence (unless you're talking about the Detroit Series) right now? Let's try to focus all energy on Game 1. This is a huge game. We don't want game 2 to be a must win game like the Sharks.

Let's make it happen people.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 11, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Just checking into my favorite blog - @JSchon when is the delivery going to be

I have been hiking around in the swamps all week with snakes, fire ants, ticks and mosquitoes doing recon work for my company.
Today dry feet and oh most importantly......THE GAME OF THE WEEK
GO CAPS GO, GO CAPS GO!!!!!!!!!!!
Do we know if Mo and Shultz are ready to go, has anyone mentioned status since last update??????

Posted by: Greenie | April 11, 2008 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Moose - they Flyers have a bunch of young players on their team like us. "Lots of verteran playoff experience"??? Most of their players were brought up with their coach - who also was coaching in the minors last season.

It's like Cooke said about the team - "they don't know anything else"... they are "inhibited" ...don't know about pressure or failing or whatever. They just go out and play. We have all had a lot of faith in BB and getting these guys where they need to be.

Why should tonight - (this series) be any different.

I expect to see an AO that we have never seen before. It's going to be like taking a kid to a candy store... "I want, I want, mine, give it to me!!!" And that is to win...

Relax - let the guys on the ice worry... all we can do is support!

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

@Moose33

I share your nervousness but I don't agree in the modus operandi. I don't think the flyers will slow down the tempo (I hope they do! cause we'd kill them). I think the biggest enemy of the Caps are... the Caps themselves. They should not try to overdo it - any hint of disorganization will hurt us.

Just play the system and enjoy yourselves out there boys! Good things will happen.

By the way, every game I've watched so far, every commentator mentioned the Caps and Ovechkin. Lot's of eyes pointed at tonight's game :D

Posted by: mauree | April 11, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

@Boo,

I'm thinking 91. Good mojo with that number in the playoffs.

Posted by: Steve R | April 11, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

So, you know you are kinda a big deal when..... You are the only US team that has their practice lines posted on TSN Ice Chips... Yeah, that's right... big time

Posted by: Mike | April 11, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Mike - I don't get it.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know: are the requesting that we get to our seats early for some pre-game nonsense? I hope not, I really don't want to stand around and wartch them introduce 25 people.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 11, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Mauree, I like your post, but I'd rather it be us worrying and our boys cheering and playing their hearts out

Posted by: AP | April 11, 2008 9:48 AM | Report abuse

@828

Have you recently looked at the Flyers roster? They do have a bunch of veterans that certainly have more playoff experience than the Caps, more importantly, in key positions.

Noone is arguing BB preperation of the team or the players hunger to go out and perform as they have the last few months of the season. I'm just trying to be realistic here. For you to say "why should tonight be different" is overlooking the pressure and atmosphere of the playoffs. It's definitely different and the young players will feel it (in our key positions).

Having said that, I hope you're right. I hope they come out fired up and flying all over the place and score an early goal. I will be glued to the set like everyone else supporting the Caps. Just providing some perspective here.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 11, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

"He's a one-of-a-kind player," Lupul said, "the only guy in the league who plays like that. Maybe you can make a case for Jarome Iginla. But Ovechkin is more dynamic than Iginla."

How will the Flyers stop Ovechkin from becoming their Russian Revolution on ice?

"You can't eliminate him," Flyers center Mike Richards. said. "You can try to slow him down and limit his opportunities. He's a good player. He'll find ways. We have to do our best to keep his chances to a minimum."

This Caps squad is different from the one the Flyers faced before the trade deadline. The addition of Matt Cooke, Sergei Fedorov and, especially, Cristobal Huet - the most dominant goalie in the Eastern Conference in the final month of the regular season - has given the Caps a new dimension.

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

This date in history
April 11, 1989 • Philadelphia's Ron Hextall was the first goaltender to score a goal in the playoffs with an empty-net goal against the Washington Capitals. The Flyers won the game 8-5.

April 11, 2008 • Ovechkin and the Caps score too many goals to count on one hand. Both opposing goalies pulled for the 2nd time this year!!!

Remember, Tim Thomas was hot when we faced him...

Are the free wings still in effect?

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 9:53 AM | Report abuse

@Old time,

I haven't heard anything about getting there early. I'm at the mercy of both my commute home and the Metro cooperating. I'm hoping to be at the phone booth by 6:15 ish.

Posted by: Steve R | April 11, 2008 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Ovie will walk on water and fly like a Superman tonight.

Go Caps!

Posted by: King Huet | April 11, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I think they said they were opening doors 1/2 hour earlier and they were suggesting you get there early. For those of you who are going, I salute you! Yell loudly for those of us stuck in front of our televisions and computers.
Rock the Red! Rock the Hawk! Let's go Caps!!!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | April 11, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Is it time yet????? god this day is going to drag!

Posted by: IrresistibleForce | April 11, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Moose:

Just providing some perspective here: The last person to do that was JamesD when he said the Caps are very unlikely to make the playoffs... and they did. So, "perspect" away...

The Flyers do have 9 players over 30... but they don't have Mr. Playoff - Fedorov

All I am saying is that - if they Caps continue to play like the played the Month of April and March - we should have nothing to worry about. They were hungry... I just hope they did not "meet their goal" and call it a day...

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

@Moose33:
"They will come out and slow the game down in the first half of the 1st period to take the crowd out of it."

I really hope the crowd will stick with the team for longer than 10 minutes. If it is a quite first period, maybe 0-0 or even 1-0 Flyers I would hope the crowd would try to lift the team and be louder.

I watched the highlights of Game 1 of the Sharks/Flames series last night. "The Tank" (for some the loudest arena in the league) was extremely quiet when Calgary scored first. I hope DC fans can prove their doubters wrong and take the roof of the VC for 60 minutes, even if we do fall behind.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Unrelated, and somebody may have already talked about this and I just missed it skimming through, but has Tortorella been fined or anyone suspended for that nonsense at the end of the Tampa Bay game last week?

Posted by: BadKarma723 | April 11, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

@Steve R,

Thanks. Yeah, I was planning to get there early too and go to Acela and watch the Masters pre-game.

Its been so long since I've been to a playoff game, but I seem to vaguely recall that sometimes they have one of those "introduce everyone" time suckers. That just sucks the energy out of the building and more importantly, detracts from my masters viewing time.

Posted by: old time hockey | April 11, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

@Tarik,

Really great article today. I suspected we were getting a great breadth of fans and interest, but you did a nice job dimensionalizing it.

Thanks!

Posted by: TripDonkeys | April 11, 2008 10:13 AM | Report abuse

@ 828

I'm sorry for giving my perspective. For some reason I thought this was a blog where people could post their thoughts, my bad.

I dont know JamesD but it depends on when he said he didnt think the Caps would make the playoffs. If it was at the half way point of the season, I can see why he would think that.

Like I said before, I hope you're right and the Caps put a beating on the Flyers.

@ Dave

I hope the crowd stays loud as well, even if they are tied 0-0 or down but (and I'm sure everyone will bad mouth me for this) the VC has a reputation of going silent when things are not going well. Hope this will not be the case.

Posted by: Moose33 | April 11, 2008 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Yes Tarik - Awesome story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/10/AR2008041003923.html

But, I thought MTL was the Cinderella team this season... according to some Canadians I met in Panama...

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Moose,

Thats what I was getting at when I said that I hoped the Caps fans would prove their doubters wrong.

Lets face it, the team has done that by getting here and the fans (albeit in winning causes so far) have done it to an extent in the last 3 home games. Lets hope everyone plays their part and we stride into Philly 2 nil up.

Posted by: Dave UK Caps Fan | April 11, 2008 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Moose - don't be a sour-P... you can say whatever you want. This is a free country right?

When people doubt, the Caps do better - so, have at it...

I just don't think we have anything to worry about... the Caps have not given us any sign to worry yet. Now, after tonights game, maybe we should worry... but until then, enjoy the high times of being the hottest team in hockey right now.

Posted by: 828 | April 11, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Tarik posted an update

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | April 11, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

People talk about the Fliers like they are still the Broad Street Bullies. That isn't exactly true anymore. Yes, the fans are still as obnoxious as ever (that's what happens when your town is a giant highway rest stop between DC and NY).

However, when you look beyond the stats, and watch the games. Philly isn't all the different then any other NHL team. They have some speed, and finesse, and role players for physical play. Well, last time I checked, so do the Caps.

The idea they don't get credit for stats on "hits" is rather ridiculous. Yes, it is a stat that can be skewed, but not as drastically as they make it sound.

What I do know, is that Washington is the BIGGEST teams in the league, and close to one of the youngest (Feds didn't help in that stat). Maybe.. just maybe.. the Fliers should be afraid of OUR physical game!!!

That being said, I see the key to this series coming down to secondary scoring. Laich, Semin, Feds, Bradly, Cooke need to step up and win the series for us. Ovie, Backstrom, and Kovlov can't do it by themselves. If we get secondary scoring, we will win!

8.5 hours to go.