Crosby Gets a New Deal

As you may have seen by now, the Penguins have extended Sidney Crosby's contract. According to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, it's five years at about $9 million per.

Over the past few weeks, a lot of people have asked me what's up with Alex Ovechkin's contract situation. Here's what I know: He's got one more year on his entry level deal that pays him a base salary of $984,200. But with all of the bonuses, the deal is worth nearly $4 million, which is what he's earned the past two years.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked GM George McPhee whether he had begun negotiating an extension with Ovechkin and his answer was, "We don't comment on individual's contracts." So I asked Ovechkin himself last week, and he was coy, saying it's a "secret."

So I asked around a bit. According to the folks I've spoken to, Ovechkin doesn't have an NHLPA registered agent representing him at the moment. So if there are any negotiations going on, they are likely between McPhee and Ovechkin. I'll keep asking around, but it sounds like there's not a whole lot going on. (Don't read too much into that, though.)

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 10, 2007; 11:25 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Melrose Like McPhee's Moves
Next: Caps Sign RW Motzko

Comments

You mean McPhee, Ovechkin, and Tatiana Ovechkina ;)

Posted by: HolyOlie | July 10, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin and his folks are smart... They waited until Crosby signed, and now they don't even need an agent.

Posted by: Finn | July 10, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Seems more likely that they'll get to that when they get to it. Alex doesn't seem like the kind of guy who is going to get bent out of shape over contract negotiations over a year before his current deal runs out. They'll announce something by this time next year.

Posted by: EricS | July 10, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin's value can really only go up. Worst case scenario, he has a bad year or is injured, he's still AO, he's still gonna get at least $8M a year (unless his leg falls off or something). Best case (for AO), the Caps run deep into the playoffs behind a 60 goal season and a ton of goals in the playoffs, the salary cap goes up, and next thing you know he's making $9.5M a year.

By the way, I don't think AO himself is a shark thinking this way, but his mother, on the other hand is as protective as any good agent.

Posted by: GJ | July 10, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

McPhee has had a nasty habit of not picking up the phone and negotiating before a deal expires.

How many RFA's have held out over the years? How many have had sub-par seasons as a result?

GMGM has routinely started negotiating with RFA's the September before camp after the deal has expired.

Here's hoping that something different is going on, and not just with Ovechkin but with other players.

Posted by: Kim | July 10, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The Player's Association probably still won't be happy. The MVP of the league took more than a million a year pay cut. With the cap probably rising higher next year, how much will Heatley be offered? Sure someone can throw 10 mil a year at him but they would be paying him more than a million more than the player with the most points this season. Ovechkin will now certainly ask for a similiar deal as he should. Crosby basically is saving the pens 6 mil over 6 years. Not that big of savings but better than he is worth. I mean they have a waiting list on season tickets now so he is getting fans in the seats as well.

Posted by: what up | July 10, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

$6M over six years may seem small in terms of signing Crosbys OVs and Heatlys, but it is one respectable roster player per year. This period of free agent signing has progressed to the point that the high ends and the low ends have gotten theirs. The folks in between are going to be squeezed over the next few weeks. $1M will pick up a 4/5 D or probably a 2nd line RW. Who knows.

For that kind of money, Pittsburgh probably could have retained Ouilette.

Posted by: Old Bob | July 10, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

To what up - The NHLPA opinion does not matter, and in fact, since it is made up of players, I actually think they are OK with the Crosby deal. Look at Thornton and Iginla at $7mil or so each. They could have had more but like their situation and know that their GMs have a cap. These guys want to win, and an extra mil is not going to damage the high-end guys. Ovechkin should take $8-$8.5 per year and get it done. I do not think it is wise of him to try for the same as Crosby, like it or not Sid is NHL MVP and leading scorer.

Posted by: Fan in DC | July 10, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I know there will be those who will disagree... But the argument that Ovechkin should take less money that Crosby because the latter is "NHL MVP and leading scorer" is rubbish! If Ovechkin was playing on an NHL team (not the Bears) last season, he'd beat Crosby.

Posted by: Finn | July 10, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Five years isn't enough. That only takes Crosby one year into his free agency years, and he can walk at the tender age of 26. I dearly hope Ovechkin signs for at least seven, and maybe more. Like the nine years Langway was talking about. I could definitely live with that.

Posted by: norske | July 10, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I imagine Golden Boy Crosby probably makes more in endorsements than Ovechkin, so wouldn't Ovie actually ask for more in base salary? I guess it really depends on what Mom wants. Dad seems to be happy with a Xbox 360 and Ovie seems to be happy as long as he has access to Itunes Russia.

Posted by: tallbear | July 10, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big time Caps fan and have season tickets (and I hate Pens :)) but you have to be realistic - Crosby outplayed AO last season hands down. It wasn't even close. And Pens roster wasn't that much better than ours. I think Crosby is overpaid at 9 mil but I think right now AO's fair value is around 6.5-7 mil - similar to Joe Thornton.

Posted by: me | July 10, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

me,
So you are saying that Vanek is worth more than Ovechkin?

Posted by: Finn | July 10, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

absolutely not! Vanek is horribly overpaid and every team in the league knows it. That happened solely because of Edmonton. It's a freak case but if some other team offers AO an RFA contract he might be just as overpaid as Vanek :) All I said is that AO's fair(!) value is about 6.6-7 mil.

Posted by: me | July 10, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

me,
Then don't be surprised when another team offers him a lot more and he's gone (if GMGM and Ted listen to you and don't match/offer more than $7 mil).

Posted by: Finn | July 10, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Whatever Crosby's getting that's what Ovechkin should get. I'm not buying this "greatest player in the world" title that Canada keeps laying at Crosby's feet. Yeah, he had a very good season last year but was it really much better than Jagr's and Thornton's seasons the year before? I didn't hear anyone calling them the greatest players in the world. Let's see what Alex does with a real center and a much improved power play. I think the hockey world might be singing a different tune a year from now.

Posted by: b.orr4 | July 10, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Crosby may have been the MVP last season, but don't forget about OV's physical game. Not only can OV score and setup his teammates, the kid can hit with the best of them. Crosby never will have that part of the game. Now that OV has a true center to play with and a complimentary wing mate, I'd bet the farm he will be the '07-08 MVP and deserve every dollar he gets.

Posted by: cbstoner | July 10, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

actually, I think Ovi-Zubrus-Semin line was at least as skilled as Ovi-Nylander-Kozlov so I wouldn't bet too much on the "Let's see what Alex does with a real center"... Semin is an exceptional passer in his own right.

2Finn, just sign Ovi now to 7 mil so that nobody else can ;) IMHO, he took a slight step backward last season (less goals, a lot less hits, etc) so now is a great time to sign him.

Posted by: me | July 10, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

me--- I think Ovi-Zubrus-Semin line was at least as skilled as Ovi-Nylander-Kozlov so I wouldn't bet too much on the "Let's see what Alex does with a real center"... Semin is an exceptional passer in his own right.

I hope you really don't believe any part of that statement. Both Ovechkin and Semin are snipers, they're goal scorers...but they both can pass also because they're hockey players. I also think that you must be crazy if you don't think that OV will have a much better year.

Granted injuries and slumps visit all players...but OV will be on one of TWO NHL caliber scoring lines. That's something that wasn't there last year. When Semin and OV played on the same line, which...unless my memory is totally burnt...did not happen on an even semi-regular basis with Zubrus (who is not a center). What does this mean? It means that if teams put their top defensive players out against OV's line, then they have to contend with another.

/i'm not even going to begin to explain why OV/Nylander/Kozlov is a stronger line than OV/Zubrus/Semin except to say LW/RW/LW and leave it at that.

Posted by: Yosh | July 10, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Yosh | July 10, 2007 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Yosh, usually I believe what I say ;) it's been 2 years since Zubrus last played wing and Lou Lamoriello gave him a 6 year deal as a center so I think he's a center all right. Semin can play either side and i re-emphasize that he's probably as good of a passer as Nylander (but of course, infinitely better finisher than Nylander). When OV-Zubie-Semin were on the ice there was absolutely no stooping them, even against the other teams best defensemen. Semin is much better than Kozlov, and Nylander is (just) better than Zubrus, that's why I say those two lines are even. And trust me, every team will still put their #1 D pair against OV no matter what.

Posted by: me | July 11, 2007 12:33 AM | Report abuse

I thought with Zubrus at center OV had to do WAAAYYY to much work. He had to power his way into the offensive zone and then go through 2-3 people everytime. That only works for so long. Nyles will create more space out there, he's a great puckhandler and he will take some of the pressure of OV. Koslov will create depth. Yes, Semin is also a great player - now we have 2 legit scoring lines.

Plus - Nyles is way better on the PP.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 11, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Plus - Nyles is way better on the PP.

Posted by: cs | July 11, 2007 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Odds of NHL MVP

Crosby - ?
Ovechkin - ?
Field - ?

Posted by: Odds | July 11, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Ovechkin and Crosby will always be compared largely because their career's started at the same time. However, they are worlds apart in the style and type of player each is. To have a great team you need a little of both.

Crosby is a gifted puck handler, passer and seems to see the ice in slow motion. He is unbelievably confident with the puck for his age and can take over games with puck control and help his team dominate. He can get overpowered providing the defenders can catch him. This is the guy that reminds people of Gretzky.

Ovechkin is a powerful pure goal scorer. He sees nothing but the back of the net and will do anything to get there including going around or through defenders. He is a very good puck handler but not great, and he usually only thinks pass as an afterthought. He is going to have to beat the rap that every Russian player ends up getting. A great goal scorer but not a complete great player.

Who wouldn't take either right?
I'll take 60 goals every year, but I would LOVE to see Ovie develop into a complete player.

Posted by: capfan1 | July 11, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse