Crosby: 'It comes down to respect"

It's been two weeks since Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby had their "run in" at Verizon Center.

Guess what? They're still annoyed.

"We're emotion[al] guys, and we play hard, and when we have something on our mind and we want to say something, we say it," Ovechkin said today. "I don't want to say he talks too much...but he's talking."

Crosby said: "A lot of things happen on the ice, and that's where they need to stay. But there's a certain point, too, a certain respect level."

Crosby was referring to the bump between him and Ovechkin when the two went for a line change in Washington's 5-2 on Feb. 22. He was also talking about Ovechkin pointing at the Penguins' bench after a goal.

"It comes down to respect," Crosby added. "There's just things a little things you don't do. That was more frustrating than anything, the pointing."

Coach Bruce Boudreau said the whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Then moments later, he said if he were a fan and not directly involved, he'd be loving each and every second of it.

"When I'm watching football and they talk about Terrell Owens, I'm glued to the set," Boudreau said. "When Roger Clemens throws the bat at somebody, you don't think I'm watching the next game? I'm a fan, too. It makes for great entertainment."

On a lighter note, when the Penguins walked into KCI for practice this afternoon, a few Caps fans booed them as they headed to the locker rooms. Another fan started a 'Let's Go Caps' chant.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 7, 2009; 3:15 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday practice notes
Next: Today's lineup (Updated)

Comments

Let's go CAPS!

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Tarik:

Did you see me taunting them with my "two 8-ball shirt with Try Slapping These caption"?

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

BB:

"you don't think I am glued to the set waiting for Crysby to smack some balls again? Well I am."

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Respect is a two way street. Something tells me that there are a few people in Florida and Atlanta that have issues with how Sid shows respect (both for the game and other players). Also bet the list does not end with Florida and Atlanta.

None the less, I am actually in the camp of lets just play good hockey, start a winning streak, and lose our voices cheering rather than wasting energy taunting an individual that will not change because of anything said or done by Caps fans.

Posted by: Kim-3 | March 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow 6-2 Isles. Devils need a goalie.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

This is why people say Crosby whines. The so called "pointing at the bench" incident is Ovie pointing up, at the crowd, and swinging his arm. I guess to Sid that's directly pointing at the Pens bench. Also the "brush" thing just him slowing down while Ovie is going to the closer bench.

He sees things that aren't there...then cries about it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

boo-hoo Cindy

Posted by: arcassells | March 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Devils being smoked by the Islanders.

Fans on "Devils Insider" are inquiring; why did lou make trades at the deadline? It obviously gave them too much grit, in essence, going full circle and zeroing out the grit they already had.

WHY LOU????!?! WHY DID YOU MAKE TRADES?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

"It comes down to respect," Crosby added.

I really can't take Sidney Crosby anymore, he acts like he's a baby. I can't even believe the word respect could come out of his mouth. He talks about respect? Why doesn't he show a little respect? Showing respect is not fighting with a guy whose head is down during a faceoff and punching unsuspecting players. I LAUGH when Sidney talks about respect, like he'd know anything about respect. His definition of respect is attacking a guy whose head is down. What a loser he is, I can't believe he would talk about respect.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 7, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Marty pulled. Sarcasm aside Devils had been hot lately they were due to have a down game eventually.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

@davethecapsfan

I think it was the game right after the Penguins game, Joe B and Locker were talking about the pointing that OV does after he scores goals. They explained that when OV was younger he had a brother named Sergie that had passed away. After each goal he's pointing to the heavens in memory of his brother.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Ah, the place has quieted back down so I guess I can come back now. :)

This sure is fun watching the Devils lose. To start the 3rd period, just now: "Now in net for the New Jersey Devils, number 1, Kevin Weekes."

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 7, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

oh Sid, just shut it.

Posted by: oo7 | March 7, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

ludeman: Pretty sure that OV has a ring from that departed brother, and after a goal he kisses the ring and then points to the sky. (So basically you are right, just adding a little more to the story.) I think it was an automobile collision.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 7, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The hell is sarcasm?

from eklund: "Devils are mad that they didnt trade Brodeur while they had the chance. Lou said, "I know, I messed up. I shouldve traded him for Backstrom while I could." Devils fans are in upheaval, as Marty was booed off the ice in his hook in a 6-2 Islanders blowout. Teammate brian Gionta said during intermission, "He just lets in too many soft goals. he's a softie. It's not like he just had a 4 month break or anything. He likes cereal for breakfast, not enough grits."

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Yeah they did'nt say how he died. So he is doing this motion in memory of his brother and good ol' Cindy thinks everything has to do with him and takes it as a disrespect to him and the Pens. What an a$$ he is!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

The only OV celebration I hate is the one he has started to do this year. When he raises his hands and does the jazz fingers thing. It's dumb.

I love everything else, but that celebration is dumb. jazz fingers?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Really funny, Crysby talking about respect. Perhaps it was an imposter who waited until an opponent was already tangled with another Pen, then started punching him in the 'nads.

Fans attending tomorrow's game should make huge posters illustrating that aspect of Sidney's R-E-S-P-E-C-T for opponents.

Posted by: rw-c | March 7, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

will someone who is going to the game please make a sign that has the 2 pictures of crosby (one of the atlanta incident and the other of the florida incident) that says "You call this respect? shut your DSL's and play the game!"

would love to see that. thanks.

Posted by: passerby | March 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

ludeman: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6774-2004Jun25_2.html

Thanks, Washington Post! :)

Kinda funny reading the rest of that article... I had forgotten that Florida tried to draft Ovie when he was two days short of 18, on the basis that four leap years had passed during his lifetime. I think you all know how that worked out.

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman

I know he isn't pointing at the other team that was my point. It's a specific thing he does that is never directed at anyone...Crosby just for some reason decided to believe he was taunting them with his normal goal celebration. Maybe him and Ovie have a dialogue that none of us are privy too that would make him start jumping at shadows but the 2 examples he lists for his respect thing are complete fabrications of his imagination.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Alexander Daigle?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Yuck. Crosby should feel like a real a-hole saying that Ovie pointed at him, when it really was in honor of his late brother...what a d-bag! Caps get it together we need to sweep this awful team!

Posted by: NatyBG | March 7, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cooleyfans | March 7, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"See Geno, I don't get no respect. People keep dissing me. I told Gary, you better make em stop dissing me, but suddenly he's gotta take a call. I was telling Mario the other day, I don't get no respect, when he cornered me in the kitchen and said I was leaning too close to mrs lemiuex again. I was just brushing up against her by accident again.
I'll tell you what, if Ovechkin so much as blinks at me, I'm gonna punch him in the sack. I know now you guys are all gushing again, but i dont care. Right in the sack."

Geno: "This language is so hard. I have no idea what this girl is saying, but he sure talks a lot."

Posted by: oo7 | March 7, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cooleyfans | March 7, 2009 4:18 PM

LOL.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Great story, ahhh remember back when Sidney was relevant? The last two games the Caps have played the Pens Cindy has come up lame and missed time afterwards. If I were him I would just stay off the ice. Doesnt he have a Scarlett meeting tomorrow anyway?

Posted by: daddy_axe | March 7, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

A few pictures from today's practice can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/fnralch/Practice03070902?authkey=Gv1sRgCI_d0cOIpMXTAw&feat=directlink.

At one time, Kozzy tried (successfully) to push Ovi off th bench, and then Semin tried it on Fleisch and others. Boys had fun today.

Posted by: fnralch | March 7, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Hershey 0-0 Toronto after 1

Sounds like Pothier is doing well, so far.

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I read these comments, but am not sure what the story is, or are fans just turning the story around?
So when Ovie gave a wave of his glove towards the Pittsburgh bench, that meant he was honoring his late brother?

"The so called "pointing at the bench" incident is Ovie pointing up, at the crowd, and swinging his arm. I guess to Sid that's directly pointing at the Pens bench."

" Joe B and Locker were talking about the pointing that OV does after he scores goals. They explained that when OV was younger he had a brother named Sergie that had passed away. After each goal he's pointing to the heavens in memory of his brother.

"So he is doing this motion in memory of his brother and good ol' Cindy thinks everything has to do with him and takes it as a disrespect to him and the Pens. What an a$$ he is!"

"Pretty sure that OV has a ring from that departed brother, and after a goal he kisses the ring and then points to the sky."

"Yuck. Crosby should feel like a real a-hole saying that Ovie pointed at him, when it really was in honor of his late brother...what a d-bag!

Hmmm. okay.

So when Ovie points at someone, that means he is honoring his brother? Or does he only save that for when he scores a goal and kisses his glove up towards the heavens...then he points at someone?

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

Since were on the subject of "face on the nhl(what a joke)" I thought I'd share this with those who haven't seen it. Capschick from the blog "A View From The Cheapseats" made this after the finals last June. Enjoy

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

@akus2

No him pointing at Crosby after thier altercation was OV telling him to go talk to his own bench, saying that he's heard enough.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

His-His-bbbbbwwwaaaaahhhaaaa-his-his-ass-his.....ASS...........won.......bbbbwwwaaaahhhaahaha....the...hhhaaaawwwhhhaaaawwww..c-c-c-cup......I'm cryin', I'm cryin'.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm on the glass again for this one, along with my boys and some firends.

Can't hardly wait.

His ass.

ballSLAPPER, that's funny.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Bouchard! 1-0 Bears.

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Now the boys better get it together and make sure Crosby has respect for our town and our house!!!!!!!

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 7, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Toronto ties it...

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Pothier?

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Bouchard scores his second. Bears get their lead back 2-1.

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

whygo, are you going to make a sign saying "Ballslapper?"

Posted by: Leeguru | March 7, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

yeah, how's Pothier doing?

Posted by: mauree | March 7, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

How's Pothier look?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

No, remember I'm going with this:

two gleaming 8-balls and the caption:

"Cindy - try slapping these!"

I'm going to the Caps wives fundraiser after the game and the whole team will be there. Gonna see if Ovie will sign it for me (on the lowdown, don't want no YouTube of that)

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

i'll keep an eye out for the sign.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 7, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

@ludeman95,
i know that, i am not sure some of the others here do.

The story here went from waving to/at Crosby , to Crosby disrespecting Ovie honoring his late brother.

That will be headlines tomorrow!

So if Cap fans suck pacifers? what does that make them?

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

So please clarify the Ovie pointing at the bench situation. Over on HFboards, the pen fans are always going crazy saying that Ovie always points at their bench after he scores and always tries to "rub it in." They are getting their info from their sports announcers. Now, Tarik, you're reporting that Crosby is saying that Ovie pointed at their bench after he scored. So we really want the truth, did Ovie do that or are they just imagining things? And if you don't know for sure, why don't you ask Ovie yourself to clarify it. Personally, I'd like to see some tape of this--you think it'd be on Youtube somewhere the way the Pens fans go on and on about how horrible Ovie is.

Posted by: dfe1 | March 7, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Not watching it, so I can't really give an accurate feedback. But from what I'm hearing on the radio broadcast, Pothier is doing pretty good. No setbacks, so far.

Giroux scores! 3-1

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Where are you sitting Whygo?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I dont know? Why dont you tell me? I think? It makes them? imitators of babies?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Section 175 Row A Seat 27

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like Pothier is playing a pretty regular shift, although they said at the beginning that they wanted to limit his ice time.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 7, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Acoin! 4-1

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Just kidding. Can't say, too many stalkers in here. (WJS)

Somewhere on the glass in Caps end.

Posted by: WhyGo | March 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

lol awesome sign WhyGo.
Not sure if it's... televisible... lol... hey, wait a minute, what am I saying... I'LL BE AT VC !

Posted by: mauree | March 7, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Ok I'll be on the lookout from my couch, no stalking going on here, haha

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Ovie's in Crosby's head. No doubt about it.

Posted by: drischord | March 7, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 5:35 PM | Report abuse

well even Kovalchuk pointed at Crosby...

Posted by: rh71 | March 7, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

it'll be a great game tomorrow. but all you crosby haters with sidney envy will be that much more miserable tomorrow when the Pens win.

with any luck one of the goal announcements will be:

"Penguins goal, scored by Niklas Backstrom, with assists by Sidney Crosby and Maxime Talbot!"

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 7, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I say let's let Sidney Crosby say what he wants. The Caps need to ignore all of that petty stuff that Crosby and the rest of the penguins thrive on. We need the win. We are in a slump and it needs to end before it gets any worse! It if continues, peolpe are going to start comparing us to last year's Hurricanes.

Posted by: rockinthered1 | March 7, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

If Sidney whines I suggest the pacifiers get thrown on the ice. Or someone should throw them onto the pens bench.

Posted by: Ovechwin | March 7, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

So Caps fans get upset with the lack of respect that Crosby has, but......yeah, signs that say, Ballslapper( very original) and passing out pacifers ( again VERY original)shows how low some people can go.

[13-5]

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

@puckheaded1
go back to pensblog

Posted by: Ovechwin | March 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

elicea Daddy's Little Girl pacifier is PRICELESS

Posted by: Osfan092589 | March 7, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

well even Kovalchuk pointed at Crosby...

Posted by: rh71 | March 7, 2009 5:37 PM

haha.

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I do SO wish the Caps had the player FIFTY TWO PERCENT of players surveyed called the NHL's biggest whiner.
Oh, the happiness I'd feel if--perhaps clad in sissy blue!--the Caps acquired a "leader" who punches opponents in the 'nads...as the third man in!
Gosh, if Semin would do his bongo bit on a center with his head down for a face-off, you'd see what Respect really looks like.
The nice thing about tomorrow's game, "p"uckhead, is that even if Pens win, you and Sindy remain effing losers.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 7, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

@puckheaded1

I like this one better

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

@Ovechwin,
I remember Caps fans comin to the Pensblog, how they rubbed it in when the lowly Toronto Maple Leaf beat the Pens.

Ahhhh memories.

Tossing objects on the ice? Classy.

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

#45 for Giroux! 5-1

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Mink! 6-1

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Since when did anyone need to respect Cindy, or he not need to respect OV?

Posted by: caps28fan | March 7, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

MINK SCORES!

Posted by: irockthered | March 7, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

@akus2
I didn't say anything about class on my part. I'll admit I'm a classless jerk. I don't post on other people's boards though.

Posted by: Ovechwin | March 7, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

We have penguin trolls here today? Oh goody! Hopefully they will regale us in stories of winning the Cup fifteen years ago, or tell us their football team has 6 super bowls. And that will put us Caps fans in our place!

The powder blue sooooo brings out Sidney's eyes! Hopefully he has been able to resume his duties as team groin therapist!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 7, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

@Ovechwin,
Just because you dont post on other people boards, why tell others who do, to go back?

I just think tossing objects on the ice is one way a player, i don't know, they could get HURT, but that is just my opinion.

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 6:10 PM | Report abuse

mmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyy, that man is pointing at me.

Make him stop!

Posted by: perspective6 | March 7, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@leeguru,
With all the talk about Balls, i doubt Pens fans will have to talk about such things.

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Because it's annoying!

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

@akus2 - Since you're not from around here, you probably didn't recognize that as a joke, but those of us who post here regularly know it for what it was. We Caps fans don't throw anything on the ice except hats when someone scores a hat trick. :-) Oh - and the hats we throw? They get donated to charity.

FIGHT! Pinizzoto vs. Perry! Pinizzoto gets a takedown! GO BEARS!

Posted by: irockthered | March 7, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

(And could someone PLEASE tell the radio announcer how to pronounce Simeon Varlamov's name??!)

Posted by: irockthered | March 7, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

@akus2
Because its pathetic

Posted by: Ovechwin | March 7, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@irockthered
Exactly.

Posted by: Ovechwin | March 7, 2009 6:19 PM | Report abuse

ELICIA

That is absolutely phenominal! There are so many reasons I can't stand that punk! Plus what parents in their right mind would name their baby boy "Sidney"? LMAO! He's just living up to the name given him. He's just the baby people say he is. When he's winning and everything's going his way he's great but put a little adversity in his life and he crumbles. Sure am glad our players came up on a really bad team so they can really appreciate what they've got now.

FNRALCH BTW, thanks for all the pics from practice. For those of us that are out of state it's really nice to get to see stuff like this. Are there always TV camera's and all those people there at practices?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 7, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Encouraging to hear that Pothier didn't have any set backs.

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic indeed.

13 goals against 5 for.
Oh, sorry that is not what you meant.

I am so glad no one will toss the pacifers on the ice, so that can only mean one thing.

A suckfest for Cap fans.

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I think the idea of pacifier is funny and original. Someone should go the message boards of what ever team the Pens are playing and suggest the same thing. How funny would it be it every team the Pens played the fans had them.

Posted by: RichC3 | March 7, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know how Poti did today?

Posted by: jp14710 | March 7, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

216-195 vs. 202-198
Oh, sorry that is not what you meant.

I am so glad no one tries to use a 3 game span to represent an entire season. Otherwise I'd just say 15-8 which I believe is the head to head number here.

Far too easy.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Bah too much talk about Crosby. Even here in a Caps board. Personally, I don't like his whining and his face, but recognize the talent. Anybody want to discuss the possibility of ending the losing streak? Against a team that is hot right now?

Actually, even 3-4 games before Therrien got fired, the Pens were looking pretty good, even though still losing. Malking is doing for them what Ovi is doing for us. Maybe it was just a matter of pieces falling in place? Or is their winning streak a fluke? I didn't see a Pens game since the coach chance. Guess I'll judge it tomorrow.

Posted by: mauree | March 7, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Sorry i meant how did Pothier do with the bears today...

Posted by: jp14710 | March 7, 2009 6:38 PM | Report abuse

So what's everyone's predictions for tomorrow's game?

I say 3-2 Caps, with Theodore making an spectacular save on a few occasions.

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Too easy? are You sure?

13-5.
Has nothing,nothing, to do with the Pens vs Caps.

[Bongo drums}

Posted by: akus2 | March 7, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

If you where listening to the Bears feed then Walton Pronounced Varlamov's name correct.

Posted by: cocorules | March 7, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

You completely missed the point Akus...but that's okay. Semin should play the air bongos tomorrow if he scores in his 6th straight game. Should be a good one.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm probably in the minority here, but I think the pacifier idea is in poor taste. (Things tend to come full circle and the Pittsburgh fans will have a lot to make fun of should the unspeakable happen.)

It would be much better to cheer the team loudly to victory, and reveal yourself in a favorable light. (That is, don't act like an idiot!)

Posted by: TrackCollector | March 7, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

@TrackCollector
I agree. Very poor taste. I just watched Bruce's post-practice interview and Tarik told him about the pacifiers. Bruce rolled his eyes and said "what a waste of money!"
Some of our fans need to grow up themselves.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 7, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

TrackCollector

well said.

Posted by: mauree | March 7, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

hockey.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

@jp14710
Pothier played pretty much a regular shift through the whole game. I wasn't watching, just listening, but it sounds like he did ok. I guess the big question is how he'll feel the day after.

Posted by: tess2201 | March 7, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ERHDC1 | March 7, 2009 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from work, trying to catch up on the news. I might be in the minority, but I like Sloan and hope he plays extra well while he's here.
I'm not crazy about the pacifiers. Unless you got them for free, its sort of a waste of money. I've got about 20 grand in student debt if they want to help out. I'll take the money in un-purchased pacifiers, please. And as much as I hate the Pens (and Crosby), I think Caps fans need to take the high road. There are plenty of ways to make the building hard for opposing teams and fans to come into and still be respectful.
Congrats to the Bears, hope Pothier feels solid tomorrow!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 7, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

And I must applaud Cherry on his restraint tonight. His attire might even be called "somber".

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 7, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

And then he opened his mouth. *sigh*

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 7, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

LOL OMG I guess Cherry gave it to you guys tonight ..LOL when will you ever learn your not going to win against him..Grapes is the best...

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Still laughing ...even used your game baseball to prove his point ...Take that CAPS! LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

You caps are having a bad week eh!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Oh no, Don Cherry talked bad about us. Let me know when the black hole materializes over Verizon.

I won't hold my breath. Lord only knows how bad he'll cry if we win tomorrow.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Can someone fill me in on what Cherry said, now?

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Sweet the resident from Rat Portage is back

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

LOL I guess your not going to have a comeback for Grapes since he shoved that one down your throat

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I love BB citing the incident of Clemens throwing a bat at Mike Piazza. The comments shows that a certain toughness, or craziness, appeals to him. Hopefully the team takes the hint and starts playing hard, making other teams pay for hits.

Posted by: SorenKierkegaard | March 7, 2009 8:20 PM | Report abuse

elicea ....it wasnt pretty for you guys LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I could care more what Grapes has to say about the Capitals.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

1907,

I figured that, but I'm still curious.

Posted by: elicea | March 7, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Don't agree with Don Cherry and he will berate you on Couch's Corner. Interesting how in trying to dis Ted, he used the Jagr deals, both of which occurred several years ago. So according to Don, it doesn't matter how stupid your message is as long as you have a large audience. What an ejit!

Posted by: NovaCath | March 7, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

lude ...I guess not when he stuffs you like he did LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I guess you're too dumb to get that?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

He was showing just how smart your boy Ted is ...

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Who is "Don Cherry" (I'm assuming he's a highly accomplished player or coach)?

Posted by: redlineblue | March 7, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Nah just another Blowhard

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Hardest worker in the world.

Whoever keeps their face straight when they dress Grapes.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what Cherry said this time, but I still think the quote of the week belongs to Alex:
"...I don't know. I don't want to talk about him. He's not interesting to me. He can say whatever he want. I don't care about him."

Posted by: tess2201 | March 7, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

funny when you cap fans get told you get real quiet! Or come back with "blowhard"
I guess you will never have your own tv show

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Alex that right! at least you know when to keep your mouth shut!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

Oh, Cup07. Everyone knows McPhee's an idiot! There's not a single GM in the league who'd trade asset profiles with him: no depth, no promise, no farm. Hell, McPhee can't even acquire an all-star whiner. It's a sad state of affairs, except for beating the sissy, sack-punching Penguins three. times. this. year.
Now, the Marian Hossa story--that's the stuff GM legends are made of.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 7, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Most of us probably didn't even see it. I know Toronto v. Edmonton is a marquee game and all tonight...but there are probably replays of stuff on Discovery that have more viewers than Grapes.

If they offered me 6 figures for my own TV show to wear Grapes' suits, I'd say no.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 8:45 PM | Report abuse

dont worry Dave they wont ask!!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Its just Grapes running his mouth.
Dave, Its either that person, or Ron MacLean. I don't know how he keeps from laughing half the time.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 7, 2009 8:48 PM | Report abuse

omg that was so funny i am going to say it again

"dont worry Dave they wont ask!!"

Dave you walked right into that one!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the reason people are not responding to yours or Cherrys remarks is because, NEWSFLASH, SPECIAL REPORT, WE DON'T CARE!! I have better things to do with my time than watch him make an a$$ of himself. Go back to your Thistles blog.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

omg that was so funny i am going to say it again

"dont worry Dave they wont ask!!"

Dave you walked right into that one!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

oh lude you care you heard you watch and you care ..other wise why is your blog full of comments about it

Lude lets faxe it YOU GOT TOLD tonight

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

faxe=face

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

I...suppose I did? I feel embarrassed and foolish almost as if my role model for subdued personal conduct in his very next moment of excitement was extremely demonstrative with yelling and fist pumping.

Guess I'm the only one that happens to...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 8:53 PM | Report abuse

lude btw...please brush up on your Stanley Cup history

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:54 PM | Report abuse

faxe=face

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

Dave what is the price of tea in China?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

hey richmond catch "Coachs Corner" tonight?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Not really a tea guy myself. Actually I don't even like coffee come to think of it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 7, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

hey, sc1907 catch chico's eats lately?

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

sc1907, badassjerseys.com

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Leafs playing with four d-men. Not a bad game, actually.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 7, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I guess thats a yes ....good show eh even better than the first one

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

What's the matter? Wiki does'nt get through up there in the Ol' Portage eh?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Don (Donald Eugene) Cherry (November 18, 1936 – October 19, 1995) was an innovative African-American jazz trumpeter whose career began with a long association with saxophonist Ornette Coleman, and who would go on to live and work with a wide variety of musicians in many parts of the world.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

Donald Ross Cherry (born January 11, 1924) is a singer of traditional pop music and a golfer.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

you guys arent too bright down there when it comes to you hockey history eh ..someone will figure it out oneday

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:06 PM | Report abuse

A troll is a fearsome member of a race of creatures from Norse mythology. Originally more or less the Nordic equivalents of giants, although often smaller in size, the different depictions have come to range from the fiendish giants – similar to the ogres of England (also called Trolls at times, see Troller's Gill) – to a devious, more human-like folk of the wilderness, living underground in hills, caves or mounds. In the Faroe islands, Orkney and Shetland tales, trolls are called trows, adopted from the Norse language when these islands were settled by Vikings.

Nordic literature, art and music from the romantic era and onwards has adapted trolls in various manners – often in the form of an aboriginal race, endowed with oversized ears and noses. From here, as well as from Scandinavian fairy tales such as Three Billy Goats Gruff, trolls have achieved international recognition, and in modern fantasy literature and role-playing games, trolls are featured to the extent of being stock characters.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Does it say how to get rid of them Rich?

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 7, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

richmond thats the best you can come up with I hope you didnt type all that

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Cup07 you are really showing Caps fans! Distracted by your witty repartee (look it up), I almost forgot that 1)the Penguins still -might- make the playoffs! 2) your "Captain" leads the league in whining and sack-punching this year 3) The Hossa Story, which remains 2 funny for words. (I wonder, was it the city or the Sindy that drove him away?)
Hey, thanks for stopping by. Here in our slump, the Penguins and other imbeciles remind us how good we've got it!
Bye!

Posted by: redlineblue | March 7, 2009 9:12 PM | Report abuse

richmond thats the best you can come up with I hope you didnt type all that

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:11 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Trolling is a game about identity deception, albeit one that is played without the consent of most of the players. The troll attempts to pass as a legitimate participant, sharing the group's common interests and concerns; the newsgroups members, if they are cognizant of trolls and other identity deceptions, attempt to both distinguish real from trolling postings, and upon judging a poster a troll, make the offending poster leave the group. Their success at the former depends on how well they — and the troll — understand identity cues; their success at the latter depends on whether the troll's enjoyment is sufficiently diminished or outweighed by the costs imposed by the group.

Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling — where the rate of deception is high — many honestly naïve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation." (Donath, 1999, p. 45

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even CHALLENGE washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Baiting is similar to trolling, baiters try to elicit a response from other users. The response is supposed to be embarrassing to the user in question, and humorous to others. Baiters frequently concentrate on unpopular groups (in that forum), such as pedophiles, fraudsters (often 419 fraudsters), religious fundamentalists and racists. Baiters do not need to make sense, and is often simply written to baffle the baitee, and to produce an interesting result. Baiting is similar to telephone prank calls, but often much more elaborate.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Why are y'all even responding to him? Its pointless. And you know Kenora wasn't the only team to win the Cup that year, right? Montreal did too.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 7, 2009 9:18 PM | Report abuse

this wanderer will not wander without thistles.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

its like criticizing Cherry ...pointless..But to hear Grapes respond "PRICELESS"
capgirl*wink*

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

A grape is the non-climacteric fruit that grows on the perennial and deciduous woody vines of the genus Vitis. Grapes can be eaten raw or used for making jam, juice, jelly, vinegar, wine, grape seed extracts, raisins, and grape seed oil. Grapes are also used in some kinds of candy.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse

richmondphil:
if a troll/baiter can be a pedophile, and a StanleyCup1907 can be a troll/baiter, can StanleyCup1907 be a master baiting pedophiliac troll?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Respect,
That would be skating up from behind as the third man in an altercation than punching and unsuspecting player from behind in the Family Jewels!!!! Show some respect Sid to recieve some!!!!!

Posted by: ScubaTurtle | March 7, 2009 9:35 PM | Report abuse

that is what the evidence seems to suggest.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Haha, Detroit and New Jersey should have drafted better! They're goaltending sucks... what a joke. They won't last the 1st round in the playoffs.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, why does Detroit even try to play any more games? Brodeur... what a joke... they suck.

Oh, Canes beat Tampa big time. They will probably be the Stanley Cup champions... them and Columbus will make it to the finals.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 9:52 PM | Report abuse

lol Good Joke 828
Got some extra cash you want to part with?

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

_828:
you nailed it. also, NJ - no grit and Det - didn't make any move at deadline to imporve themselves. there's 46 players that should just start polishing the golf clubs now

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

kirk ....something like caps..stand pat!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

it is becoming apparent that cherry is getting a little nervous about team russia for the olympics. he has now dismissed ovechkin, malkin, and datsyuk. and after the oiler v. toronto game, he had to point out on a night where staal and nash scored goals that, "[psssh and people are worried about team canada]" keep trying.

and to sid: respect isn't given, it is earned

Posted by: passerby | March 7, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

Yo Cup boy - who's your team? I know you are CapsSuck from last year... used to be a Caps fan.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

thats right passer but the rest can still try for silver..LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 7, 2009 9:58 PM | Report abuse

kirk ....something like caps..stand pat!

Posted by: MasterBaitingPedophiliacTroll | March 7, 2009 9:55 PM

MBPT:
yes - it is very possible that they too will be out on the courses. will mario let the sid out to play come mid april - or does he have to get permission from uncle gary?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Looks like mommy is out and someone logged on the her computer.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 7, 2009 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Respect in sports also means you don't draw attention to things which are disrespectful to the game. If someone is disrespecting the game, you smile and nod and let them sink their own boat, you don't go complain and cry to the media. The fans know the game, they will judge for themselves what they find respectful or not. I have a hard time respecting anyone who goes and punches a guy in the goods while they are being held down and then talks about how other players are being disrespectful. The good thing though is that it shows that Ovie is really getting under his skin. We all know he's just jealous that not only is Ovie a better player, he is a better person, and people like him more. Be a man Crosby, there's nothing wrong with admitting someone is better then you, that would be respectful and would make you a better person. Just don't cry about it all the time, please, it really gets annoying.

Posted by: jonsnoek | March 7, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

This blog should be about the Caps games lol... Tarik's blog main qualities: friendship among posters, respect for each other opinions.

We're having a "slump" let's fight back and go back to nice posts? :D

Posted by: mauree | March 7, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

mauree:
it's all in good fun - although i do digress.
so who you like to see in goal tomorrow - theo or noyvert?
can semin keep his goals streak alive?
will OV get on the board?
and most important - should sarge or lumberjack sit?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

mauree - this is not slump. this is the true signs of the Caps. They Suck - they will never make it past the first round. 5th in the nhl... what a joke. They suck

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 10:24 PM | Report abuse

mauree, lol. Glad you're getting to go the game tomorrow!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 7, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

Mauree,

Guess we are in a little slump, just like the boys. I think we'll all snap out of it tomorrow!

Posted by: Leeguru | March 7, 2009 10:27 PM | Report abuse

_828:
i can't believe you've finally caved and given up on our beloved caps!! next thing i know you'll be telling me you're a die hard wiz fan :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Wow Kirk, that is pretty harsh. Calling someone a Wiz fan. Harsh.

Posted by: _Mark | March 7, 2009 10:44 PM | Report abuse

_Mark:
i'm going to try and do my best crysby here

HE STARTED IT!!! MARIO!! ... UNCLE GARY!!! MAKE HIM STOP!!

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

Kirk,
Just trying to fit in with this blog. The whole team sucks... the Caps won't be anything until they win 98 games in a row in ONE season.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Man, 828 hs turned to the dark side. All hope is lost.

Posted by: _Mark | March 7, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

i thinking somewhere between 104 to 106 - you forgot the preseason games. AND they have to avg 5.5 gpp while giving up no goals, never getting a penalty, PP has to be 100% and they have to win every face off

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Haha, Mark - just trying to fit in... I mean, according to this blog. There is no hope and no point. No logic, no reasoning - chaos is every where!
The Caps should have made a trade - who cares about next year and the years to come... they should win the cup this year and only this year.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why we continue to follow this team. Never won a Stanley Cup, and in order to be ANYTHING, you have to have already done that.

Posted by: Leeguru | March 7, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Kirk, if GMGM listened to people on this blog - it could happen!!! You forgot about Ovechkin scoring 500 goals in one season as well. If we would have traded for Pronger, it would have happened this year.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

The sad thing is... none of the naysayers are on right now. But for now on, I am going to agree with all of them. All of them are right!

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

backstrom.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 7, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Phil, he let in two softies today... we should have traded for him. We would not have lost a game.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

_828:
until you picked up the slack - i thought i was on the wrong blog - no doom and gloom - i almost came out of my hockey depression. no pronger, no grit, no elite goalie. if we could have only dumped 50 contracts and gotten a few good players .... *sigh*
there's alwasy next century

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Kirk,
If we just listen to Cherry, we would be saved. He has all the answers. We should just get rid of the Russians and get an all Canadian team. Then, would win the Cup. But, that's only if Pronger is one of them. And, we got rid of Theo.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

well - we also couldn't get any canadians that like to celebrate goals (their own or their teammates). and Ted would have to get a bigger basement - the team could live there. i think this is the formula for the 100+ win season - no?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe my eyes ... Leeguru online after bedtime?!?

Thank goodness the time is changing tonight - the game will get here that much sooner!! :-D

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

100+ season... haha, 1 season... How about 25 100+ seasons. That way, we would have more Stanley Cups than the Canadiens... It's a simple formula really. I am surprised no team has come up with it yet.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Boo, I forgot all about that. I need to sleep or I will miss it. Will be painting my face for this game... the ultimate weagle is BACK.

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

828:
THE WEAGLE IS BACK!! WOO HOO!!! I bet that is what they need to get them out of the slump. I'll be lookin' for ya - rock the red, my friend. And please bring one of your classic signs ... it will feel like the playoffs all over again!! (But in a better way this time ... ;-))

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

828,

Yup, the sky is falling.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 7, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Wow, Steve is here, too?!? It's like the good ol' times!

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking something simple for a sign. Maybe "There's no crying in Hockey" just for Sid.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 7, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Or is it the good ol' days? They were so long ago that I forgot what they were ...

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

How about:
No Trades, No Problem

Posted by: _828 | March 7, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
That's a good one. Even a simple 8>87. Or a picture of a baby in an 87 sweater?!? (Man, what has happened to me? I used to be such a nice person ...)

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

--Boo--
hi - i missed you - you know you're my favorite *trying to be the teachers pet*
_828
25 consecutive season - anything less and the trolls will come out full force

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Boo, you were. I'd blame Lee if I were you.

Posted by: Steve_R | March 7, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of trades, is anyone else surprised that Satan was sent down and/or that he was not picked up?

Kirk:
Whatever! :-P (And since when am I the "teacher" around here?!?)

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Steve:
Good point ... he has pretty much corrupted me. How have you stayed on the straight and narrow for so long while hangin' out with him?

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

@StanleyCup1907:

So I hear you're a master troll/baiter pedophile? Geez, on top every thing else so wrong about you. Sorry to hear you were found out. Feel free to change your SN. I'd be ashamed to show my face too. Hence, your constant presence on a blog you're clearly not welcome in.

Please stop by tomorrow when we win. That is all. You may go back to stroking the egos of Mr. Cherry and Mr. Crosby.

Unleash the fury, Caps fans! It's OUR House! Remind them!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 7, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

--Boo--:
ok - i want to be the sages pet - is that a role you could want?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Kirk:
Are you calling me an herb (or just Herb)?

LeftCoastCapsFan:
I hope you plan on coming out for the playoffs!

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 7, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

-Boo-
i couldn't very well use 'guru' now could i? there are too many here that already have the intellect of a garden plant. to me - you are not in that category

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 7, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I think a good t-shirt would say on the front
"You want my respect?"

and on the back:
"Earn It."

Posted by: austinsteve | March 7, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Kirk:
Put it however you want, the damage has already been done *sniff-sniff*. (But I am thinking about changing my screen name to Herb ... ;-))

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Now that I look I guess I owe a small royalty check to passerby who said something similar earlier.

Posted by: austinsteve | March 8, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

austinsteve:
WhyGo's t-shirt would just say: ballslapper
i would laugh and Boo would send me to timeout for encouraging him

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 8, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

:) Cap'n K

I saw that

No doubt Crosby has proven he is the best at that. Maybe he'd be happier if the NHL started tracking ball punching stats

Posted by: austinsteve | March 8, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Kirk:
I prefer to call it the penalty box.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 12:07 AM | Report abuse

*peaks head out* Is he gone?

So I'm officially going to the Canes-Rags game on Monday. I'll try and kick that Staal kid in the shins on my way out of the building. Thinks he can score 4 goals in one game. Who does he think he is? Ovechkin?!? And the nerve to celebrate them, too! Thought he was a good Canadian boy!

Anywho, folks, enjoy the game tomorrow. I'm going to try and watch, but I haven't had a very good track record the past few games. Wait a minute, that's it! Obviously the Caps are like, "Well, jmu_capsgirl's not watching; we can just phone this one in, boys!" Okay, so enjoy the game everyone! Here's to a full 60 minutes and a Caps win!

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 8, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Hey JMU:
I think you better watch if you can - when you pop in late they tend to be woefully behind, so please take one for the team and plant yourself in front of the telly! GO CAPS GO!!

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

--Boo--:
i'm sorry - i won't stop trying

this is for you: ♡ (it' not for courting - i don't want to get on Mr Boo's bad list)
i'm not beyond begging for forgiveness when i've made a mistake ㋡

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 8, 2009 12:13 AM | Report abuse

Haha Boo, I'm going to try. But unfortunately, the highway patrolmen would probably be upset with me if I was watching TV while driving. Guess I've got to get up and get an early start, then hope the folks are understanding.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 8, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl:
would it be so bad if you got a 'flat tire' (at a sports bar) around 2:45 that took say ... 2 1/2 hours or so to get it fixed?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 8, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

I know I'm supposed to be behaving nicely towards the Pens, but please, somebody in the lower levels make a sign about this: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Video-Either-Kennedy-s-stick-tastes-like-candy-?urn=nhl,146479
Or at least heckle him for it.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 8, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

JMU:
That's my girl - hockey before sleep, safety and family!! :-)

Kirk:
Yes, Mr. Boo would be less than enthusiastic about that, although admittedly impressed by your computer prowess. (BTW, you are clearly married if you are apologizing for making a mistake that you do not think you really made. ;-))

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Capt_Kirk, Haha, no, it would not be bad, but if you knew the area I was driving through, you'd know that is impossible. The few to no sports bars on my drive home would not have a Caps game on if they even knew what hockey was. The town my folks live in gives new meaning to the terms "the boonies" and "redneck". :-D

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 8, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

--Boo--:
damn it - i haven't learned anything in 28 years of 'training' - how very perceptive of you though - oh well - i gave it a shot :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 8, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl:
you didn't think far enough ahead - direct tv dish mounted on the trunk, generator, tv, bag o chips and nhl center ice - and your never 'in the boonies'

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 8, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Kirk, LOL! My folks do have DirecTV, so I only have to get there before puck drop. Darn 3 o'clock starts! I was hoping I could sleep in.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 8, 2009 12:48 AM | Report abuse

jmu_capsgirl:
if you're already packed - leave now - you can take a quick nap before the game - go .. go .. GO ALREDY!! :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | March 8, 2009 12:53 AM | Report abuse

It's a new age...nowadays no man has to be married to have known for a long time it's never to early to start apologizing for possible missteps ;)

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 8, 2009 1:04 AM | Report abuse

@JMU
Just to throw in my 2 cents, in case that flat tire or whatever does happen I have a nephew that's going to JMU so I can arrange a visit so you can watch the game and lead us to victory. And oh BTW, in case you get lost a little south of there I have another one at VA TECH so I've got ya covered. I'm in Colorado so I can't help but I got connections! LOL!

Seeing the Caps win the Division - Nice
Seeing the Caps advance in the playoffs -Nicer
Seeing the Caps beat the snot out of the Penguins - Priceless.
Seeing Cindy cry - well everybody sees that

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 8, 2009 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Well I can't find the box score to see how much ice time he got but Hershey won 6-1 and Pothier was a +1 for the night. No points but the more important thing is how he felt after the game. I'm assuming he got in quite a bit and got hit a couple times so all appears OK. I'm thinking if something went wrong we'd know about it. This could be the trade that GMGM didn't need to make and we'll be better for it.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 8, 2009 3:08 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208 - I haven't been able to find ToI stats for any AHL player anywhere I've looked, but I'm asking around. Hope to have it some time soon!

Posted by: irockthered | March 8, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

@pokerface1208: I didn't watch the game, but I did listen to it, and Walton is a pretty good play-by-play guy. While I can't find his ice time for the game (I'm still looking), I sure didn't hear any problems. He seemed to be out quite a bit at ES, paired with first Kronwall and then Alzner when Kronwall started working the PP, and he certainly did a lot of clearing out of his own end. I don't think he skated either the PP or the PK, though. They play Lake Erie today, though, and while I won't be back from the Pittsburgh game in time to listen to all of it, I'll check in when I get home.

*sigh* I really hope the boys can pull out of the funk they're in today. We got lucky in that NJ got stomped yesterday (how awesome was that?) but we have got to get out of this funk and get the boys to stop freaking out and just play hockey, but fast. And it sounds to me like we need for one of the players to step up and lead.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 8, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

fnralch: Nice pics! My favorite is of Michal! :)

Now let's make Sidney cry today! That won't be very hard.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 8, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

You know, I just had a thought about the funk that they're in, regarding a comment made by one of the players about how they're tense and fearing to make a mistake. I wonder if all our expectations and chatter and all the media attention is scaring these kids to death. If maybe they'll get out of it on the road, because they've actually looked far better on the road than at home lately. Maybe the home barn has had the opposite of the intended effect - the seventh man is scaring them to death?

Just a theory, but sheesh.

Posted by: kittypawz | March 8, 2009 9:11 AM | Report abuse

OK Caps fans, check your clocks - the current time is 9:36 NOT 8:36 ... don't be late for the game!!

Kirk:
Well at least you get an A for effort. :-)

USDave:
It's nice to know that "training" starts early these days ... ;-)

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Role call for today's game. Section 211 is right here! Let's go Caps!

Posted by: ejohnsto | March 8, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Great Morning Caps Fans Hope you all slept well..
If you didnt catch "Coachs Corner" last night you should get a copy..

I hope you learned a lesson on not to mess with Grapes ..LOL
Talk about getting put in your place..LOL

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 8, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Thanks LOL for the tip LOL. We all are quite chastened to be called out by a senile never-was and you, his typing monkey LOL. We're switching from winning to whining, gonna move into our boss's basement, and get some sack-attack going first thing tomorrow LOL.
What an assLOL.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 8, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Section 105 ready to report! LET'S GO CAPS!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | March 8, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

So, I just saw Pee Wee's Big Top Circus show and he said the Caps should stop celebrating too... We must listen.

Posted by: _828 | March 8, 2009 10:26 AM | Report abuse

ah come on red . You having a bad week :(with the losing streak and all. I guess you know how i feel when Semin sits out cause he has a hang nail or when you call down the best hockey mind in the world Grapes!

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 8, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

a perfect team to break a 3 game loosing streak against and sweep the series (3:0 currently)

Posted by: Hazz | March 8, 2009 10:36 AM | Report abuse

If only he stuck to hockey when he talked SC07...you familiar with the phrase "mad genius"? Whenever he tries to rip the Caps for no good reason that involves nothing about the actual play/on ice product all you hear is the "mad" and none of the "genius".

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 8, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

You could tell from the replay OV was just going to the bench when Crosby pushed him. What a baby! That's what I hate about Crosby. I don't doubt he's a good player but pulling the jersy oversome at the face off cirle and pounding him, hitting someone in the "nads" from behind and pushing OV for no reason puts it over the top for me. I don't like him nor do I think he's good for the NHL. Yes he's a great player, those no argument there..but he is a very bad sport and that's not good for any league.

Posted by: marklee15 | March 8, 2009 10:46 AM | Report abuse

RE: the whole pointing at the bench thing, I don't remember that. I do know that Ovi points to heaven when he scores since his brother passed away years ago (as others here have stated), but I don't remember him pointing at the bench (unless he was in the middle of pointing up and pointed that direction on the way ... wow that would be picky on Crosby's part!). I do, however, remember him waving Crosby to the bench like cya or go back to your bench, _______ (fill in blank with whatever name you think is appropriate). Was that out of line? Maybe, but under the circumstances I don't think it was totally uncalled for.

Posted by: --Boo-- | March 8, 2009 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I sit a few rows up from the bench and Crosby called Alex a P*ssy during that whole thing. That's when Alex waved goodbye to Sid.

Posted by: _828 | March 8, 2009 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Dave.... Grapes didn't just pick OV or the Caps
He called out OV because like he said in his show last night ..."Don't try to change our heritage" That what he doesn't like..When in Rome do as the Romans do

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 8, 2009 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Cherry even told Crosby to tone it down last year.

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 8, 2009 11:08 AM | Report abuse

be back at game time save me a seat

Posted by: StanleyCup1907 | March 8, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

You got it, SC: my team's lost 3 straight, remains among the top 5 team in the league, and doesn't have a basement-dwelling sissy whiner for a *captain*, so I'm a wreck.
"Don Cherry" is the best hockey mind like Sindy's a hard-nosed credit to the game.

Posted by: redlineblue | March 8, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

SC07 Didn't know Ovie played for a Canadian team to "do as Canadians do". The NHL isn't the CHL. Grapes cries as much as Sid does. Old man crying is just a lot of incoherent yelling.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | March 8, 2009 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Cherry just hates change. If is was for the "heritage", the Canadian players wouldn't make any money due to the fact that no one would watch hockey.

Posted by: _828 | March 8, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Exactly Dave - this isn't the CHL...

Posted by: _828 | March 8, 2009 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Cindy is a little whining wimp. Yes he is a great player and will probably be in the Hall of Fame, but he is afraid of physical play and intimidated by OV. I hope OV cleans his clock today..cleanly, but hard! GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: EricinMD | March 8, 2009 11:31 AM | Report abuse

@ StanleyCup1907
Ovie is in the NHL, not CHL, so "In Rome do as Romans do" is way off target here. Its not AHL (Do it US style) or CHL (do it Canadian Style).
Also the numbers of Canadian players dominance is overrated, cuz theres pretty much same ammount of Euro stars as Canadian or US stars. As for the rest than you can get same middle skilled players from Europe, but every league has majority of local hockey players - no adoption issues.

Posted by: Hazz | March 8, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

I clicked past nhl network yesterday (fios) and it was working. Is it coming for free for a while? anyone know? Don Cherry's show was being replayed from days of yore and he had a young Al Macinnis and Doug Gilmour on. He asked them about what they thought of the Russians coming over to play in the NHL. Cherry was dismissive of them, while Gilmour replied that he didnt know what they'd be like till they got here.
Funny timing.

WHy do you guys keep talking to this stanleycup06 clown? What a maroon.

Posted by: oo7 | March 8, 2009 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@_828

Yeah if you watch Crosby, he either says "Your an effing joke" or " Your an effing p***y" He even says it to Kovi when he comes out of the penalty box after Kovi pointed at him.

Posted by: ludeman95 | March 8, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Caps have lost 3 in a row. Ovie missed the last game. Ovie hates not to play and even more hates to lose.

Crosby not only gave Ovie a cheapshot from behind but then trashed him verbally. I expect Ovie will be very motivated today.

An angry Ovie is a dangerous Ovie.

Posted by: rockbroker | March 8, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

The supposed best mind in hockey never won a cup as a player because of a "baseball accident", never won a cup as a coach (despite having one of the best teams at the time he coached in Boston nad getting 2 tries at the final), and threw his whole Rockies team under the bus.

At least he commentated during the Cup finals before!

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

who cares about Ovechkin vs Crosby...both the nhl and everyone else out there make way too big of a deal out of this

Lets worry more about the Capitals vs Penguins and that the Caps can come away with a win today.

Caps vs Penguins > Ovechkin vs Crosby

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | March 8, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

i luv antropuv.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 8, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Respect? he got bumped lightly that's pretty frickin standard. In fact I think it's more rare to see a player in Ovechkin's position, end of a shift getting off with a rival player in his way, not give that player a little nudge. Crosby wants to talk about respect and keeping stuff on the ice maybe he should shut the hell up to reporters instead of whining how that big scary Russian kid was picking on him.

Posted by: dcfury | March 8, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I want a reporter to ask him about punching guys in the sack and jumping them in the circle, and ask him to explain how he was showing respect.

Posted by: oo7 | March 8, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

While I'm not the biggest Pierre McGuire fan in the world I'll tell you this (surprised it hasn't been mentioned or at least I missed it). During the last game PM was down between the benches doing the broadcast and his words were that Crosby was "over the top". Furthermore he said that there is "always talk and language going on that can't be repeated but Crosby is just over the top and needs to check himself". Knowing that PM is a Canadien himself, I think it speaks volumes when your own beloved countryman says that you're basically embarassing yourself. Regardless of what's being said on these boards his own peers and people that cover the game are starting to give him the label of a "whiner". If you compare OV vs SC, the only people supporting SC are Pens fans, there are many people that support OV and everything he's about not just Caps fans.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 8, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm just putting this out there. The officiating all season just SUCS!!! Not only this game, but every game I've watched live or on TV. Th edirector of officiating has got to go!

Posted by: jwash4472 | March 8, 2009 5:55 PM | Report abuse

LET'S GO PENS, LET'S GO PENS, LET'S GO PENS. Sid the Kid vs. Ovie the Chokie

Posted by: observer23 | March 8, 2009 7:38 PM | Report abuse

"

Posted by: oo7 | March 8, 2009 1:01 PM "

I think the reporters have other stories to cover.

This happened in December of 2008, why is it still being talked about 3 months later?

And Cap fans say that Sid whines?
lol.

Posted by: akus2 | March 8, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

You people have to be about the stupidest hockey fans in the world.

Posted by: gman0959 | March 8, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

hhmmmm...how unsurprising...the game is over...Pens win...Sid scores the winner in the Shoot Out...AO is stopped...and...NO CAPS FANS HERE! I guess they're too busy using those pacifiers they bought!

Posted by: Mikeinpgh | March 9, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Everyone, both sets of fans, needs to understand we know NOTHING about what is happening between players in the NHL. We see a very, very small part of who these players are. We sometimes see what we want to see. And for anyone of us fans to make comments about who a player is and what they are like and to even think they know enough comment on a player's integrity is just amazing. And a bit stupid.

I hope it makes you feel better to do it since that's all it is worth.

Just sit back and enjoy watching some amazing players do what they do best:play the game.

Posted by: chris8771 | March 9, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse