Crosby scores to help Canada edge USA for gold

(Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

From the AP, for now:

Canada beat the United States, 3-2, on Sunday to win the Olympic gold medal in its national sport of hockey, with Sidney Crosby scoring the winning goal 7:40 into overtime.
The gold medal was Canada's 14th, breaking the record for most won by a nation at a Winter Games.
The entire hockey-crazed nation was stunned when Zack Parise scored to tie the game for the U.S. with 24.4 seconds remaining in regulation.
But Crosby's shot from the lower part of the left circle eluded goalie Ryan Miller to send the Canadians into a wild celebration.
The win avenged the Americans' 5-3 victory over the Canadians in the final round-robin game a week earlier. The loss forced the Canadians to play an extra game to reach the gold medal match.
Crosby, scoreless the previous two games, won two games at the Olympics with post-regulation, game-winning goals. He beat Switzerland with a shootout goal during round-robin play.

More to come soon from Barry Svrluga and Tracee Hamilton in Vancouver.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 28, 2010; 5:58 PM ET
 | Tags: Olympics
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Open thread: USA-Canada gold medal game
Next: Alex Ovechkin stays in Vancouver for Sochi handoff

Comments

Man Miller was good though!

Posted by: capscoach | February 28, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

The vomit bags are out all over Washington DC right about now. That was a fantastic hockey game and I'd been fine with anyone else putting Canada on the gold medal platform. USA can hold their heads up high, fabulous effort!!!

Posted by: BBDwrestling | February 28, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Did it HAVE to be Crosby? Of all of the people on Team Canada, couldn't it have been ANYBODY else but Crosby?

Posted by: holliden | February 28, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: holliden | February 28, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

too bad it was crosby

Posted by: gocaps01 | February 28, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

You guys know there is no one in the world more angry then Alex Ovechkin, Alex Semin, and Mike Green. I hope this has an amazing effect on their playing and we can end Sidney Crosby's golden time with a great April and May.

Posted by: gocaps99 | February 28, 2010 6:06 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand him, but Cindy is Mr. Clutch. Until Ovie can win the Cup, or knock the Pens out of the running for the Cup, he will always be 2nd to him in their on-going contests. Sad, but true. Crosby always finds a way to get it done in the big games. Damn it.

Posted by: ken_berlin | February 28, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Caps fans...this is not the time to say anything bad against Crosby! Lets face it...he came through today and how he played earlier in the seris is really not relevant. We may hate him and of course we think Ovechkin is better...but todays is Crosby's day and he deserves it

Posted by: capscoach | February 28, 2010 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Worst possible scenario. Crosby was invisible the entire tournament, then is left open next to the goal in overtime. Prepare for Milbury gushing about the wonders of Cindy.

Posted by: zmega | February 28, 2010 6:08 PM | Report abuse

The US was the 6th seed and finished with silver. That's poor solace, but they should be proud.

Posted by: hockeyweasel | February 28, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I just watched the game in France at it's a little after midnight on Sunday... it was no easy task to find a place showing the game (missed the first 30 min of action). We were very excited going into OT and got to see both US goals. Funny looks from all the Frenchies the whole night.

What a killer that was. ANYONE BUT HIM!!!

Proud of the US team for Silver. A part of me died tonight when Cindy scored. Can't wait to see OV, Sasha, and Backie come back with a hunger the likes we have never seen. Can't wait to return to the US to watch our Caps kick off the last 20 games.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | February 28, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

The worst part is losing the gold medal. The BEST part is after listening to Ted Lame-on-sis say prior to the tournament that he was going to cheer for Russia....to have Sid the Kid come up big again.

The botom line is Caps fans, we could have had Crosby, we have OV....they are both great players, but the jealousy coming from Washington is silly. The silly to the ridiculous...tomorrow we'll read that somehow this is Mike Milbury's fault....LOL!

Posted by: caphcky | February 28, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

I want to say this to the Pens fans that are about to come: Congrats! Your golden boy showed up in the biggest moment ever. PLEASE do not come on here and start taunting us and saying how Crosby is better than Ovechkin. I'm also sorry I said he was invisible the whole game but that's what makes great players great, they could be invisible and then all of a sudden, come up huge.

Let's just all be happy that we got to take in such an amazing game. This is why hockey is an amazing sport.

Just please show some class. That is all I have to say. (Because I know there will be Pens fans coming.)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 6:01 PM |

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Hide the goats! The trolls are starting to come out!

Posted by: hockeyweasel | February 28, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Sitting here watching the OT, I'm hoping that Luongo can maybe fumble one more, that maybe Parise has one more in him. Or maybe Drury. And also thinking, if we gotta lose, let it be ANYBODY but HIM. ANYBODY but HIM. Then boom, it's over. Guess who? Damn. Damn, damn, damn.

But all credit to the American guys, beating the mighty Canadians once and forcing OT for the Gold Medal. Congratulations, you guys did us proud.

Posted by: LeeM9308 | February 28, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

I just checked the Caps schedule, after Wednesday's Caps-Sabres game in Buffalo the Caps have 5 straight home games starting this Thursday night against Tampa Bay. Go Caps!!

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 28, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Seems like it should have been a double elimination... oh well

Posted by: crashinghero | February 28, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

If this was the stock market and Crosby and Ovechkin were stocks, Crosby's value is at an all-time high and Ovechkin's is probably at an all-time low.

My financial advice: Buy low on Ovechkin.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Help Canada Win Gold? Sudden death goal = Gold.
Btw, Not that it makes me happy

Posted by: chasedano@gmail.com | February 28, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I'm disappointed the U.S. didn't win but I guess I really didn't care if it was Crosby who scored. I just wanted the U.S. to win that game.

For comparison's sake, the international level is completely different for me. I root for the U.S. 2 weeks every 4 years in hockey and then stop caring about international hockey starting now and I won't care until 2014.

I root for the Caps 8-9 months out the year and follow them in the offseason to see what they will do.

So, for me, while I am disappointed the U.S. lost and while the Olympics are fun to watch, the Winter Olympic are low down on my rooting list of who I want to win games/championships. My list is Caps, NFL, college basketball, mlb, world cup(also every 4 years but it is in a league by itself), etc.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 28, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I am just going to pretend this Crosby thing never really happened.

Did anybody read the most recent "Ted's Take"? Just asking, but was he suggesting that no one should talk about somebody being traded, because it personally affects the player, his performance, and team morale? I'm not trying to be critical, but didn't the Clark trade (although necessary) affect him, his family, and team morale (at least for a few days)?

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 28, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

A lot of negative comments and focus on Crosby... he deserved to be the clutch player in probably the most exciting hockey game played in recent years. But it was a team effort.....the USA played fantatic... but the better team won.

I only hope the Caps can win Lord Stanley and show hockey fans that they are the real deal ....just like Team Canada.

I'm so happy not to have to listen to those biased clowns on NBC who were speachless when the game ended...bummed out too I'm sure. Yeah Canada!

Go caps!

Posted by: capper3 | February 28, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

well I don't see any Pens fans gloating on here... maybe the country means more to them than any one player

Posted by: joek443 | February 28, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

This was a worst case scenario. I would have rather they lost 2-0, even though the comeback was really nice. If they had won, it would have been nice to be at the exits with a "Hockey is America's Game" sign....with a police escort of course.

Tmac- Go finish your homework. There's school tomorrow morning.

Posted by: rjma1 | February 28, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the vomit bags are all over Washington D.C. An amazing game but an awful ending for us not just because Canada won but Crosby scored the winner. Seriously, that was the absolute worst scenario. Pens fans couldn't of drawn up a better scenario.

Let's look at this positively: this will motivate Ovechkin even more!!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

@rjma1

I'm not following you.

That was a compliment to Ovechkin. I was arguing that it's just a low moment for him and that he will rise again, hence "buy low."

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

No.. I will not go as far as to say it's Crosby's day but I agree with ken_berlin. What he said made me cringe and makes me angry but it's 100% correct. As much as I hate it and want to deny it, Crosby is amazing in the clutch. He's a big time player and comes up huge when his team needs him to.

Stay classy Pens fans please. ;)

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 7:00 PM | Report abuse

sgm3: come on... I don't believe you when you say you didn't care if it was Crosby who scored. I think we all died a little inside when Crosby scored...

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 7:05 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216

At first I did, but after a few minutes I really don't care too much. Yes, I would've preferred if someone else scored, but overall the outcome of the Olympics is low down on my importanance level so that's why I don't care too much.

I would rather have Crosby score this goal than a game 7 ot winner against the Caps or in any playoff series.

This is just my opinion and my own importance listing so others can feel differently. But the outcome of the Olympics has never been that important to me. I wanted the U.S. to win but have been looking forward to watching the Caps for a while now.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 28, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

First congrats to Canada and Canadian fans! Great game by both teams. And Slovakia deserves big props for their great performance on Friday, also.

I notice now that, like the world cup, the location of the tournament has become a reliable predictor of who will win it. If in North America, a North American team will win and in the last two cases, both North American teams will be in the final game. If in Europe (or elsewhere), European teams will win and contend for the gold. It's a fair observation. Let's hope the NHL is fair to the Europeans who came here for their show and allow full participation in Sochi.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 28, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

All I can say GMGM and Ted are on the clock. Next 3 days are critical

Posted by: samb99 | February 28, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

well if anyone from Canada was gonna score in OT, it might as well be Crosby... if Ovie wasn't mad already, he sure as heck is now and hopefully that will do the team good in the playoffs

Posted by: joek443 | February 28, 2010 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Some comments about the officiating in this tournament - I thought, they allowed quite a bit of hooking, tripping, interference - and I thought it reduced the quality of the play. I hope not a portent of dark days to come. It seems officiating in the NHL is controlled by some star chamber and I'm wondering whether all teams are given proper access to the process.

Somewhat related to that, Milbury (who in this case made an intelligent comment) compared the forecheck to a blitz in football. If so, I'd carry the football analogy further and say that, especially in the final game, all of the action moments were essentially running plays up the middle, just a bunch of pucks thrown in deep, a battle along the boards and a bunch of guys swarming the net jabbing at the puck. Skill players were deprecated (Crosby, Kessel, Semin) although some did excel (Gaborik in particular)...

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 28, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, that couldn't have ended worse for U.S.A., Caps fans, or Ovechkin.

Posted by: oo7 | February 28, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Team USA for winning the silver medal. It was a great showing in the greatest hockey tournament in the world.

Posted by: LionelMandrake | February 28, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

I prefer the refs letting the boys play and not calling every little infraction like they do in the NFL... DBs can't even breathe near WRs nowadays

Posted by: joek443 | February 28, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

WOOO Canada! Ok, now that I got that out of my system, I'll give the Americans full credit for the best hockey game I've ever seen. America scares me as a Canadian hockey fan. With 10X the population, you have the demographics. You won the Jr.s and almost the Olympics with a young, skilled team. I have a feeling this is the second of many future match-ups--and the scale is ever tipping in your favor.

Oh, and on the Crosby thing... I hate how the media swings it, but they need a narrative and Crosby was it. I personally thought Toews, Niedermeyer and Luongo had better games...

Posted by: pierrebuz | February 28, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

sgm3: Yeah you're right, I definitely would rather see him score that goal than against us in game 7. But it still killed me to see him scored... all I could think about was how the Milburys of the world and Pens fans would never let us live this down.

RedLitYogi: I also thought the referees let a lot of things go in this game and overall throughout the tournament. But I liked that they didn't call something that could affect the game today. I liked that they just let the guys battle it out. I was relieved about that. The last thing I wanted to see was the refs give one of the teams a PP in OT.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand him, but Cindy is Mr. Clutch and grab.

Posted by: ken_berlin | February 28, 2010 6:07 PM

fixed.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | February 28, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Right before OT I told my wife "if Crosby scores the winner I'm jumping out the window" Thank God our Living Room is on the first floor. Hold your heads up high Team USA, you surpassed everyones' expectations. Congrats to Canada,now Let's Go Caps!

Posted by: pacapsfan | February 28, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

I would chip in with my usual defense of Crosby but looks like you are doing my work for me. Glad to see that you are all seeing what everyone else already knows to be true.

I've always said AO was a phenomenal player, but he still has quite a bit to catch up to Sid when it comes to the intangibles - leading teammates with your play in all three zones and stepping up to deliver on the brightest stage when you are needed the most.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 28, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

Somehow I just had to laugh when it was Crosby who scored in OT. The very definition of irony. But really what a great game by team USA overall--they played hard.

And in the end I discovered that I was not too upset at the loss. I personally care a lot more about the Caps winning the Cup. With our Ovi as Captain. A bit battered and bruised perhaps but fired up for our playoff run. The Caps will bring home the Cup. We just need to keep the faith.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 28, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Hey puckheaded1--sarcasm necessary? Really I feel for both Ovi and Crosby as they will always be tethered together for their entire careers. When one does well the other will always be brought up in comparison. Both are so great they deserve to stand alone. And for me they do as I've always maintained in my posts.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | February 28, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

@RedLitYogi:

I agree 100%. And while generally I agree that I don't want a game to end on a penalty, but that is how the game ends up being entirely clutching and grabbing. Since the refs don't want to make that call, the players will clutch and grab way too much.

I thought in the 3rd period there was a significant amount of clutching and grabbing and no calls were made. It didn't favor any side but it took away from the game in my opinion. I don't think clutching and grabbing hockey is enjoyable to watch.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 28, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

I think aggressive forechecking in hockey is more like full court pressure defense in basketball rather than blitzing in football.

Posted by: joek443 | February 28, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Well I am a huge Pens fan, but today I dislike Crosby as much as I dislike Ovi! Man, we were so close. I am really proud of the US team, all of them. They played their hearts out. All of them will always have a place in my heart even when we play them especially Miller, Kane, and both Johnsons! Man Crosby you f--ing suck today!!! Go USA!

Posted by: jpocasangre1978 | February 28, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

is he trying to dance or does he need to go to the bathroom??

Posted by: joek443 | February 28, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Tmac- Well the analogy may have been a bit of a stretch but since you meant well, I'll apologize even though I'm still in a foul mood over this.

Posted by: rjma1 | February 28, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

joekk443: OMG I saw that and was gonna post that here. That pic is so hilarious!! HAHAHAHA. Constipated?

jpocasangre1978: Good for you! Unlike the other Pens fans that rooted against their own country and were so happy that Canada won because Crosby scored.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

that's the look of a winner. you never see Ovechkin make that pose

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 28, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

that's b/c ovechkin jumps into the boards. yes you'll never see him in a pose like that looking like he needs to go to the broom.

okay done talking about crosby. olympics are over and the nhl resumes. we now have more important things to focus on now like the trade deadline. hope GMGM makes some moves...

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Bad Night for Caps fans. I didn't care who won, I just didn't want to see the exact scenario that we all had to watch tonight. How does this always happen to the Caps fans?

Or, this could have been the best possible result we could have hoped for. Now it is Sid 2, Alex 0. No Caps player even got a medal. All these guys should have something to prove. They should be embarrassed.

They need to feed off this.

WEDNESDAY is the deadline. Help them McPhee!

Posted by: underpants2 | February 28, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

That's Sid 2, Ovie 0

Posted by: popopo | February 28, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

That's Sid 2, Ovie 0

posted by: popopo

okay, that's good to know

Posted by: rachel216 | February 28, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really care a whit about the Olympics? I think I watched about 7 minutes of play during the whole thing.

The Canadian team won because they were supposed to win. In front of their own crowd, in a city going ballistic for them. Welcome to meeting expectations, Canada. If you really had something going, you could have won at...say, Turino. Way to go, USA junior. Now how about bringing that Cup home...you know, the big metal one they give every year? Seems like it's approaching 20 years without a Canadian team winning it.

Your players are imports. They serve a purpose. Just like a big screen TV, a stereo or a computer. When the big bad US has used them up, we'll give them back...maybe.

Posted by: pga6 | February 28, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

popopo - Team sport here. I think it was Canada over the US in this one, US over Canada last weekend, Canada over Russia in between. The past 2 years it's been Russia over Canada at the World Championship. You dis every other player on each team when you make it a 2-man show. Congrats to Canada tonight. It was a heck of a game.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 28, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Everyone keeps talking about how Crosby is this great clutch player. I feel obliged to point something out - in the Stanley Cup Finals, he has played in 13 games, and had 3 goals, 6 assists, and a -2 rating. That is not clutch - when you look at it from the point of view of Crosby being this incredible superstar, that is choking. He didn't win the Stanley Cup - the Pens, led by Malkin, did.

Posted by: timmyv38 | February 28, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

As for this Crosby guy, sure, he's good. They've also handed him everything on a silver platter.

Crosby is a grown man, a multi-millionaire living in another grown man's house...in Pittsburgh! LOL, is that the only house worth living in there? There's nothing that says weirdo like that.

Posted by: pga6 | February 28, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

So, who does GMGM go after the next few days????

Posted by: Z-Money | February 28, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

timmyv38 - Agreed. He has been blessed with a talent, but even more so with teammates around him. He certainly did not carry the Canadians on his back today, and I feel bad for the others on the team who, once again, have to sit back and watch all of the attention doted on him.

Posted by: gonchpup | February 28, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Before this Olympics, when talking about Ovie's accomplishments I never heard anyone mention his game winning goal against Canada in the quarterfinals of the '06 Olympics.

Why, because the Olympics are seperate and less important entity than the NHL. A great example is Mats Sundin. When talking about his accomplishments and possible Hall of Fame career everyone says that a negative about him was that he never won a SC or even got to the SC final. He did win a gold medal in the '06 games though, but no one really cares about that too much and rarely mention it.

People care about the Olympics when they happen but then forget about them the week after. I wanted the U.S. to win, but am ready for the NHL season to start again. While I wanted the U.S. to win, my overall tone of rooting in the Olympics was indifference. I know for me, this loss doesn't even come close to losses that eat at me, not even in the rankings (I'm talking about all sports). I get more upset about a regular season Caps loss than I did for this game.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 28, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Crosby still isn't a member of the Triple Gold Club, although he's won 2/3. He still needs to win Gold at worlds, which OV has done twice so far. Congrats to Eric Staal who is the newest member of the club. 1 Stanley Cup, 1 Gold Medal in the Olympics, 1 Gold Medal at Worlds.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 28, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

you get to play in those world championships if your team gets bounced off early from the stanley cup playoffs... don't think that's anything to brag about

Posted by: joek443 | February 28, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

@pga6: You're the definition of a sore loser. Grow up.

Posted by: pierrebuz | February 28, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Bah, well, it's still a requirement, even wayne Gretzky wasn't in the stanley cup finals every year he played.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | February 28, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

great game...the USA played well... both teams deserve credit....glad no one mentioned the slew foot...oy yeah wrong team did it so its ok lol....go CAPS go

Posted by: wendel2 | February 28, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I puke like dat eh

Posted by: heathdog1119 | February 28, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

I was satisfied that Canada won, after all, because it means so much more to that country but had prayed that Crosby wouldn't be the hero! Unbearable to watch him being fawned over afterwards. Thank goodness we sent it into overtime. Now, with the closing ceremony, I was very happy to see Ryan Miller and two other players I couldn't identify smiling and displaying their silver medals. It was understandable that so soon after losing, none of the USA team in accepting the medals could acknowledge the achievement, and of course many had to leave Vancouver immediately but it was classy of a few to show up.

Posted by: Baystater1 | February 28, 2010 9:40 PM | Report abuse

seemed like everybody was moving in slow motion in stretches of the game. ready for the 2nd half of the nhl season to begin. miss watching the caps.....

Posted by: joerutgens72 | February 28, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: joerutgens72 | February 28, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

2 hours until trade freeze ends then 2 1/2 days of craziness. In a few days we will have a much better feel on every team heading into the playoffs.

While the Caps need to add a defenseman and maybe a defensive forward, it will be interesting to see what other teams do as well. The Pens will likely add a winger (who knows which one), the Sabres may add a scording forward as well (Ponikarovsky maybe), who ever knows what Philly will do, the Rangers may try to make some more moves to add more scoring, and the Bruins desperately want to add scoring too. And that's just the east.

It should be intersting.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 28, 2010 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Revenge is a dish best served cold -- ICE COLD!!!!! Come on CAPS, put all the Winter Olympics crap behind you and let's bring Lord Stanley's home to D.C. where it belongs!!!!!

Posted by: capswench | February 28, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Sorry that the US lost but they went further than anyone expected.

Mad that Crosby was the one who scored the winning goal. Now the media will fawn over him even more than they already do. It will get even worse if the Pens win another Stanley Cup.

I make the following vow. I will take a little trip to the city of the next Eastern Conference team who eliminates the Pens from the Stanley Cup and I will cheer for that team. (Of course, I will judiciously choose the opponent of that team to be someone I oppose and would root against in good conscience).

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 28, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

Crosby really needed that goal. He was pretty much invisible all tournament and would have faced a ton of criticism if he didn't come through with something. I was really impressed by how good Nash, Toews, and Doughty were the whole time.

Posted by: Stu_c | February 28, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Allow me to step in and accept blame for the Crosby goal. I was sitting in the basement with family and friends and seconds before Crosby's goal, I had a premonition that something bad was going to happen. I appealed out loud to the Almighty, saying "anyone but Crosby" and not more than two seconds later he scored. Sorry Ovechkin and Team USA. I jinxed it.

Even though I have an irrational dislike of Crosby, he is a far better sportsman than Ovi, and frankly a better role model for my two sons even though they also don't care for him. Ovi needs to grow up and act at least as old as Crosby, who is his junior. Would anyone call Ovi a "class act"? Exciting yes, and wonderfully talented, but not classy. Crosby is all of those things, even though he is arguably less exciting. Anyhow, team canada outplayed the US, so the loss didn't sting as much as it could have. Seeing Crosby score the winning goal had the US outplayed Canada would have been truly hard to take.

Posted by: gocaps2009 | February 28, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Crosby did win a Gold at Worlds. the World Junior Championship in 2005, when his team Canada beat Ovie's team Russia for the Gold. go ahead and look it up, if you dare.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | February 28, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Crosby? A class act? He is the farthest thing from it. Let's see - punching a guy in the nuts from behind? Crosby. Whining to the refs when a player from the opposing team (who was the home team, btw) got more hats thrown on the ice for his hat trick than he did? Crosby. Refusing to shake hands with the guys who owned him for the entirety of the Finals after winning the Cup? Crosby. Diving constantly? Crosby. He has no class at all, and everything bad he does is glossed over by the media because he's their darling.

puckheaded, that is the Juniors, not the Worlds. So your point was totally useless and irrelevant - just like all your other posts.

Posted by: timmyv38 | February 28, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

oooh Canada,hate Crosby and Canada.Condolences for USA young team.your team i think looked better all tournament than Canada and others,Canada played good all play-offs ONLY FIRST PERIOD,next two was always blank ( sorry for my english ).Zack Parise and Ovechkin forever:)....WELCOME TO SOCHI TO DREAM FINAL USA-RUSSIA,Canada i hope will out in group stage :))).But congratulations for americans for your team with silver,it is not bad.Russia want sTANLEY CUP by Capitals

Posted by: ErwinoffRussia | March 1, 2010 3:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: redlineblue | March 1, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Crosby vs. Ovechkin?

Better goal scorer? Ovechkin.
Better hockey player? Crosby.

Ovechkin is probably as good as any goal scorer I've ever seen in my 36 years of being a hockey fan. He's sick. But, he only plays on 1 side of the ice.

Crosby leads the NHL in faceoffs won.
Crosby kills penalties.
Crosby backchecks.
Crosby blocks shots.
Crosby looks for his teammates to score.
Crosby doesn't skate around at center ice waiting for his teammates to feed him the puck for a breakaway or empty netter.

ANY team would love to have either of those guys. They are both great at what they do. I just think Crosby has more facets to his game. And that's not a knock on AO.

Posted by: SteeltownScourge | March 1, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse