Day 2 of draft underway

Unlike the first round last night, Rounds 2-7 are expected to zip along today. The Caps don't pick until the third round and hold five picks total (Nos. 86, 116, 142, 146 and 176).

I'll post updates right here as the Caps make their choices. So be sure to hit refresh periodically.

Update:Midway through the second round, I'm talking to Coach Bruce Boudreau near the draft floor, and a Habs fan in an anniversary striped jersey yells to Boudreau, "Sorry Bruce, it wasn't me. It was Halak."

Boudreau smiled and said, "I know it wasn't you."

Update:Caps take another Russian in third round, Stanislav Galiev, a right wing from St. John of the QMJHL. He's 6-1, 178 and from Moscow.

Update:Galiev is a skilled player who racked up 15 goals and 47 assists in 67 regular season contests, then led all rookie scorers with eight goals and 11 assists in 19 playoff games.

On his NHL.com profile, he was quoted as saying, "Semin, he's my favorite player. I want to be him."

One thing that makes him different from Semin? He spoke English to reporters a moment ago.

Update: Caps move up, trading Nos. 116 and 146 to Toronto for No. 112, which they use to take Windsor (OHL) goaltender Philipp Grubauer.

The 6 foot, 180 pound German posted a 2.86 goals against average and .911 save percentage and helped the Spitfires to the Memorial Cup.

Update:With pick No. 142, Caps take Caleb Herbert, a center from Bloomington-Jefferson (Minn.) High School. The 5-10, 180 pound St. Paul native had 26 goals and 29 assists in 25 games. He was a finalist for Minnesota's Mr. Hockey award.

Update: With pick No. 176, the Caps drafted offensive-defenseman Samuel Carrier from Lewiston of the QMJHL.

I'll have a little more after talking to GM George McPhee about the picks.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 26, 2010; 1:09 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McPhee on Kuznetsov: 'It was unanimous'
Next: NHL draft 2010: Overview of the Caps' picks

Comments

Why on Earth would you trade anybody for the rights of an average defenseman and it's not even guaranteed that he will be on your team. Clearly Hamhuis wants a lot of money. He did say he wanted to test the market anyway. I think the Flyers made the move to dump Parent's salary and then turned the rights into a 3rd round pick.

I look forward to Kuznetsov making his debut for this team in the future. Good luck to the rest of our picks today

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | June 26, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

What about trading our third rounder for the rights of a less than stellar goalie?

I hope I read it wrong but someone on Japers posted that we traded our 3rd rounder for the rights to negotiate with Vesa Toskala.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 26, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

On my previous post on Toskala, that post of the trade for his rights was a joke. (It did have me worried for a bit.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 26, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice pick-up in the 3rd round

Posted by: McKinley2 | June 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Greeting from Baghdad! Well I just want to say that I am happy (as happy as you can be living in an inferno) to be a native of the Washington DC area. It appears that things are shaping up for all our teams. Led by our beloved Caps, Mr Ted will probably do the same thing with the Bullets. Redskins have no place to go but up and the same for the Nats. What was that line from the Matrix "these are some exciting times" or something like that. I feel that the next ten years for DC sports are gonna be great and I can't wait to get home to see the Caps (Feb 2011).

Posted by: fatboy08 | June 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

with their 3rd round pick the Caps selected RW Stanislav Galiev from the QMJHL

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 26, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

fatboy08 thanks for serving our country proud!!

Glad that you're a Caps fan and hope you get to come home to see the Caps.

Posted by: MM11 | June 26, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Caps are fortunate enough to grab Russians who would be drafted higher if there is a transfer agreement. We have the draw of Ovechkin, Varlamov, etc.
This guy has been compared to Kabanov, minus a bit of the upside and minus the head-case. He's been in NA for some time, which is great to hear about Russian players.

Rutherford alluded to player movement. (He's the Canes GM)

Posted by: richmondphil | June 26, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

Stan is our man. (Our 3rd rounder)

Thanks for the link.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 26, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Man, stupid Detroit. I wanted the Caps to grab Teemu Pulkkinen.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't know much of this Goaltender, but if he wants to be a Semin that gives 100% every game, I'm all for it.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 26, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

He's a German goaltender...ahhhh. Taylor Hall's, Cam Fowler's, and Ryan Ellis' goaltender for their junior team.

Second coming of Kolzig.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil |

"He" being Galiev. That comment reads weird.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 26, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

Glad you corrected yourself. Don't think any goaltender wants to be a Semin -- wrong position.

Interesting Galiev wants to be a Semin. I also heard he had liked the Caps as a kid.

Yet, he talks like Ovi. When I heard him talk in his interviews, I did a double take and thought I was hearing Ovi.

Welcome Stan, you're the Man.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Caps 4th round pick Philipp Grubauer:

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 26, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

@FrankM73

Grubauer: A German goaltender.

Thanks for the link.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | June 26, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 26, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

GMGM is doing pretty well so far. Kuznetsov was ranked 3rd overall in European skaters and to have him available at the 27th pick is a surprise. Galiev was ranked 20th overall in N. American skaters so to get him in the 3rd round is also surprising. I guess we will have to see how they develope as always but I don't think we could have done any better so far in the draft.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan1 | June 26, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

agree with BWolf...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 26, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Caps 6th round pick at 26th spot is Samuel Carrier:

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 26, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Frank. I have not followed our other picks yet but any idea where they fell in the rankings?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan1 | June 26, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

here's the link to the caps picks so far...

so far Kuznetsov and Galiev fell because of the Russian factor...

don't know about the other 3...

Posted by: FrankM73 | June 26, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Kuznetsov-Great,another Russian headache.Caps need to start drafting U.S. and Canadian players.
Speaking in general terms North American players have more grit and determination than the rest of the world. Sometimes talent level isn't everything.
The Ruskies tend to be great for a game and invisible the next. This team has a lot of flaws and unless they change their approach and GM we will be just like the Caps of the 80's- a good team but come playoff time bounced early.

Posted by: markfromparkville | June 26, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Sobotka traded to the Blues. He would've made a good 3rd line center.

Posted by: richmondphil | June 26, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Sobotka would. The thing is we already have plenty of third/fourth line pivots (Steckel, Gordon, Beagle, Wilson, Aucoin) what we need is a second liner.

And Markfromparkville, Kuznetsov actually has been scouted as playing with a bit of grit and compared at times to Evgeni Malkin.

I'm interested in seeing how Kuznetsov and Galiev do in rookie camp

Posted by: Liebercreep | June 26, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

By the way, love the Galiev pick. Kid loves the Caps, is playing in Canadian junior's, has first round talent and was available in the third round.

Very nice draft for the Caps though obviously, things change over the years.

Posted by: Liebercreep | June 26, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

I still do not understand the Caps. they refuse to take any physical defenseman. they keep drafting the same finesse style player. BB does not seem to want any toughness in the locker room. name one player other than OVi hitting where the other team might be scared. OVi stinks at d. The Caps keep taking these Eoropeon players. Until BB changes his philospohy the Caps will never get beyond the third round. where is the Dale Hunter or Scott Stevens style player. It used to be the Caps were great defensively and could not score goals in the playoffs. Now we supposedly have a great offense that can not score in the playoffs but also does not know how to play defense. We all know the Caps need more d and more grit and not more finesses.

Posted by: pkme | June 26, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Tinordi would have been nice. I see Mcphee wanted to trade down for another forward. Fabulous and stupid. Watch Tinordi be an all star. Anyway you all are being very optimistic. Dman and tough, strong centers is what is needed. Lousy draft. They should have loaded up with different kind of players. Maybe I am wrong but we will not know for three years.

Posted by: pkme | June 26, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Love these picks, Kuznetsov has superstar potential - shocker to see him available at #26 - that's like grabbing Carlson at #27 two years ago, terrific work GMGM. If Kuznetsov were Canadien-born he might have gone top 3, he has that level talent. And he captained a very good Russian U-18 squad so obviously 'character' issues were just another TSN / xenophobic smokescreen. Go Caps!!

Posted by: govtimbo | June 27, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse