D.C. snow and the Penguins-Caps game (updated)

With another massive snowstorm slated to pummel D.C. Friday, the Caps are monitoring the possible effects on their games against Atlanta on Friday night and Pittsburgh on Sunday afternoon, a team spokesman said.

Consider these factors:

*The Penguins play at 2 p.m. Saturday in Montreal -- will they be able to fly into D.C.?

*The teams, league officials and arena workers have to be able to get to Verizon Center.

*Is the arena is a position to staff a game and open its doors?

*Could Sunday's game, slated to start at noon, be pushed back a few hours? It's possible NBC wouldn't be willing to put the game up against the Super Bowl, which is at 6:30 p.m.

More to come soon, so stay tuned for updates. In the meantime, the Capital Weather Gang is having a Q&A at 2 p.m. Submit questions here.

Update: Owner Ted Leonsis says everyone needs to calm down about the storm, AKA Snovechkin:

We will publish info on my blog and on our Washington Capitals website about the games but my bet is if the other teams are here, we will be playing both games.
This is hockey weather. If we can play, we will.

I also just heard from a Penguins spokesperson, who said the team has not made any changes to its travel schedule and is in wait-and-see mode.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 4, 2010; 2:42 PM ET
 | Tags: Atlanta Thrashers, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau on Caps' streak: 'It hasn't sunk in or done anything'
Next: Live chat: Caps at Rangers

Comments

The game on Sunday could be moved to Monday night if needed.

Both teams are off until Wednesday and the Phone Booth does not have anything planned for the days leading into Disney on Ice.

Posted by: CapsNut | February 4, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@Jumpy66

The availability of Metro is a big factor for many Caps fans. Additionally, there is not sufficient parking if all 18,000 fans were to drive downtown for the games.

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 4, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Witt cleared waivers so we don't have to worry about the Caps losing their minds and getting him.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 4, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MReilly9 | February 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

All necessary VC employees should be required to stay in the arena to support these events.

As for the fans? Get hotel accommodations downtown.

This is WAR people. The show MUST go on!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 4, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

The Caps/Pens game would crush the Super Bowl ratings...

Hockey = 60 minutes of action...

Football = maybe 10 minutes of live play?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

As for the fans? Get hotel accommodations downtown.

This is WAR people. The show MUST go on!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 4, 2010 12:21 PM

@wtf_e_fehr:

Spoken like a True Fan...again, pure win.

I can't really afford to attend the games in person, but I never miss a game on TV...do I still qualify?

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 4, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Rhino, stomp around in the snow for an hour + in your yard before the game to simulate traveling to Verizon & you get a pass.

I'll get down there, not too worried about it, but I have my doubts about the Pens getting to town in time for a noon game.

Posted by: Steve_R | February 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

@Rhino40

Thanks for the post appreciation...I'm here every night this week! :)

As for the games, we are both in the same boat, I rarely see a live game. Especially THIS season!

Posted by: wtf_e_fehr | February 4, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Ok- I'm feeling generous. If everyone can get to my house in Clarendon- and I will then shuttle each person in my jeep to VC for the game. Sure it will only be 1 person at a time (back seat is out), but we'll make it. Feel free to start arriving tonight. Please form the line to the right of the house and around back. The only food that will be served while you wait is poutine.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 4, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

I'd be all about the game going up against the Super Bowl! I'll DVR the SB and be at Verizon for the Caps!!

Posted by: aglatfelter | February 4, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

New York Gaboriks die tonight.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Rhino40: ABSOLUTELY. Being able to afford to go to Caps games is a maturation process too. As I aged and earned more money I was able to go to more games. Now I am lucky enough to be a season ticket holder. You continue to watch games from your living room, eventually you'll get called up to the bigs.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 4, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@Fro

On the way..see you in 2 hours.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

The Caps/Pens game would crush the Super Bowl ratings...

Hockey = 60 minutes of action...

Football = maybe 10 minutes of live play?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 12:30 PM

@SA-Town:

While your opening statement might not be strictly accurate, I do agree with the sentiment. It speaks directly to one of the main reasons why I lost interest in football.

Cheers,

^

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 4, 2010 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the question is would NBC want to compete with the Super Bowl, but would the Super Bowl want to compete with the Caps (who will be on a 13 game winning streak)? I think we all know which would draw the most viewers.

Posted by: Aldred15 | February 4, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Ahhh potine. And a Molsen, Eh?

Posted by: jdhoover | February 4, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I swear my fingers have gone on strike. I guess so has my brain...

C A P S! CAPS! CAPS! CAPS!

Posted by: jdhoover | February 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The game will be played on time. It will not matter to NBC if no one is in the stands...when did they ever care about caps fans anyway. The Pens can fly into Philly or Richmond sat evening after Montreal then bus the rest of the way here if they have to. They will want an excuse when they lose anyway.
\ The metro will be working at least underground. The show must go on. This matchup was not put on Superbowl Sunday by accident and it will be played on time.. MONEY talks.

Posted by: RichC3 | February 4, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm already not watching the Super Bowl. I think the CBS mistake of airing an ad by Focus on the Family is more egregious than NBC's mistake of firing Conan. So I'd definitely watch the Caps game instead.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 4, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

The Caps/Pens game would crush the Super Bowl ratings...

Hockey = 60 minutes of action...

Football = maybe 10 minutes of live play?

Posted by: SA-Town | February 4, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

----------------------------------------

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal a couple weeks ago where they reported on a study of this. I believe it was something like 12 minutes of actual play in a football game.

Posted by: butcherbaker | February 4, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

from Rotoworld.com

Henrik Lundqvist is expected to start in Thursday's game against Washington.

Lundqvist has started in 48 of the Rangers' 57 games this season. Washington has brought opposing goaltenders to their knees all season and Lundqvist has been no exception. He has a 3.03 GAA and .887 save percentage in two games against the Capitals in 2009-10.

Posted by: bigschu8 | February 4, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

The Pens can fly into Philly or Richmond sat evening

Posted by: RichC3 | February 4, 2010 1:26 PM |

No flightless fowl are allowed in the city limits of Richmond.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I hope the game on Sunday is not delayed. I also hope the Penguins have no trouble getting here. My family and I would probably hear Cindy whining all the way out here in Winchester!

Posted by: psugolf | February 4, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RichC3 | February 4, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't think so...

First of all, Richmond is in the path of the same storm and while they won't be getting as much snow, they'll be getting ice which is much, much worse.

Secondly, the Ning flew into Dulles last week during that storm and it took them over two hours to get from Dulles to their hotel downtown. Richmond is 90 minutes on a good day. Philly is three hours. With a major snowstorm going on how long to you think those drives will be?

Posted by: CapsNut | February 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

All I know is that I will be there in full head paint even if I have to stalk walking tonight. And I'll make darn sure I make enough noise to support the team.

Have bullhorn, will travel...

Posted by: jdhoover | February 4, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

I was told by Caps guest relations that as long as the Pens can make it into town (most likely late night Saturday) the game will go on. NBC will make sure it happens, especially with the number of people who will be stuck at home in the snow (higher ratings).

With outdoor Metro stations most likely being shut down -- it's going to be an adventure finding a way to the game...

Posted by: OV_MVP | February 4, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

The notion that Verizon Center staff should be required to say there, not be able to go home and whatever is even more stupid as the notion that the Caps Pens game would put any dent in SuperBowl ratings (even in DC). There is a reason that there is no NHL game starting after 3 on Sunday, even in Canada. The Winter Classic had lower ratings in Philly than the Penn State bowl game and the Mummer's Parade. Also as to the idiotic statement that this is war. Is a hockey game.

Posted by: rbluesw | February 4, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I think Ted should open up the arena and have the fans spend the night there. Open up the suites etc. Then we'll know who the REAL fans are. I would so camp out there for the Pens game. I have waited all season for this friggin' game and no weather is going to stop me!!!! >.

Posted by: bumperhead | February 4, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

"Also as to the idiotic statement that this is war. Is a hockey game."

Also, to to the idiotic poster who took this statement seriously, this is a hockey blog.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

just another reason for Cindy to whine!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Easy for ted to say, he's already got the money for the tickets and if they play and no one can get there no refunds.

Posted by: Capfan12 | February 4, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

I'd totally camp out!

My camera and I will be there with bells on for both tomorrow night's game (snow or no snow!) and Sunday's game with the Penguins.

Posted by: irockthered | February 4, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Okay...just on another topic, with the olympics approaching. Do you think Mike Green might be found in a DC Sports bar over the break wearing a Team USA jersey?

Posted by: hockeymom03 | February 4, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I did this research for the Bog, and wanted to share here because I thought it was interesting...

This caused me to do some research, it's kind of interesting. This is over the last 10 Cup Playoffs...

- The #1 overall team in the league has won 4 times (40%).

- The #1 team in their conference has won 5 times (50%)

- The next closest are 2 seed in conference (2 times) and 4 seed in conference (2 times). No other seed has won the cup in the last 10 seasons that were played.

- Every single time the #1 overall team has made it to the Cup Finals, they have won.

- The number 1 and 2 seed in a conference have made the finals equal times (6 times each), next closest is 4th with 3.

-Interestingly, the 5 seeded team in a conference has never made it to the finals in the last 10 seasons.

---

That said, tomorrow was supposed to be my first game this season (at significant cost), and it doesn't look like I'm going to be making it, I'm bummed :(

Posted by: VTDuffman | February 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

@hockeymom03 - Naah, he's more likely going to be found in Vancouver wearing a Team Russia sweater. ;-)

Posted by: irockthered | February 4, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

The lowest attended Capitals game was the same day that the Air Florida jet crashed into the 14th St. Bridge. There was a TON of snow on the ground and they still managed to play the game.

I think they played Edmonton, but I could be wrong on that.

Posted by: DrCapsFan11 | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Many of you probably don't remember, but on January 22, 1987 (my daughter's 5th birthday) the Devils played Calgary during a blizzard at the Meadowlands. That storm creat4ed the “334 Club.” Devils defeated Calgary, 7-5, at Meadowlands before 334 fans who braved 15 inches of snow. The game was delayed 106 minutes as
only 13 Devils’ players arrived by scheduled game time. It ended at 11:44 P.M

In 2007 the Devils had a game at which they honored the 334 fans who attended that game, many of whom returned on the 20th anniversary and those fans do remain in contact with each other and the team as members of the "334 club."

Could the Caps be heading for a similar event this weekend?

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | February 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Capfan12 | February 4, 2010 2:55 PM |

You make it sound like it's Ted decision to call of the game or not.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Sharp, Versteeg, Barker, and a 1st...that's some heck of a rental...you'd think they were getting Kovy and the ghost of Stan Mikita in the deal.

Good points about the Kings and long term possibility vs. rentals now...we'll see...fun to predict.

Posted by: netminder71 | February 4, 2010 3:00 PM |

Yes, but CHI already has to make moves just to fit in the Cap next season. In fact...they are going to have to do some crazy stuff in order for their team to fit next season. Shall be interesting...

We also have to remember that ATL is still gunning for an 8th seed. (Which is probably why tight Wad wants roster players+)

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I believe the WSJ article said 11 minutes of game action per 60 minute NFL game...

I'd watch the Caps over the Super Bowl (er...I mean the Big Game)
this year...

Posted by: jeets | February 4, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Let's move the game to the old Richmond Coliseum on Sunday!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 4, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

DrCapsFan11 that is correct. I still remember my dad talking about missing that game (and the crash) because his car couldn't make it three blocks. He tried for two hours trying to get to the game to see Gretzky.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 4, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Let's move the game to the old Richmond Coliseum on Sunday!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 4, 2010 3:08 PM |

5 minute walk from my house, lets make it happen.

Whats it hold, like 8000 people? haha.

Posted by: richmondphil | February 4, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Everyone is keying in on the Pens game? What about Friday night's game against the Thrash, when all of this stuff is supposed to start? Fro, I may take you up on that offer as I live in Alexandria.

Posted by: stwasm | February 4, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Kovalchuk turns down 12 years/$101 million (as well as 7 years/$70 million)

Was hoping to insert self-deprecating joke here, but my brain is mush since I'm fighting an ear infection. At 30 years old (soon to be 31), I really thought I was past the ear-infection stage of my life.

Posted by: Fro_ | February 4, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@Fro_
It's apparently not just little kids who get ear infections. I am way older than you and I had the first ear infection of my life last winter. Not fun.

Posted by: tess2201 | February 4, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I'll be there on Sunday. Should I wear my powerblue or Malkin sweater?

Posted by: NoVAHockey | February 4, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I would suggest the powder blue, as it makes such a striking contrast to Cindy's ruby-red lips.

If you want to match Malkin's ugly mug, you'd be best wearing a Herman Munster-style parlor suit.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

poor mike green if either game is postponed

Posted by: jakeeller | February 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Whats a Super Bowl? Some kind of nacho eating contest?

Posted by: TheCapitalist1 | February 4, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Winner of Malkin lookalike contest:

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 4, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

NoVa,
i recommend wearing the white sweater and walk in the middle of the road!

kidding of course...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | February 4, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl1

Here is my take on malkin lookalike:

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 4, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil
I think since they "remodeled" maybe 15 years ago, it holds about 13,000. Oddly enough the Coliseum was the home of the Caps farm team from '74 - '76 the Robins (which the Caps and Flyers shared). I'd love to see Crybaby Sidney checked into those old boards!

Posted by: kcbrichmond | February 4, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

You're effing kidding me.

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 4, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

NBC can take a hike. Let the regionals broadcast the game, push it back a few hours if need be, and play it. A 3:30 start would still allow the game to get in prior to the Super Bowl. Who needs to watch all that pre-game Super Bowl hype anyway?

Posted by: Jumpy66 | February 4, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The Penguins should be less worried about the flakes outside and more worried about the RED STORM inside Verizon Center.

Posted by: sandyflee | February 4, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

From CTV:

The United States men's hockey team named Ryan Whitney and Tim Gleason as late additions to its roster in a conference call on Thursday.

Whitney and Gleason will replace injured players Paul Martin, sidelined with a broken forearm, and Mike Komisarek, who is set to undergo shoulder surgery next week.

Posted by: AleksanderOMunchkin | February 4, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I have a good source that informed me that we could get significantly more than is currently being forecasted. We could be in for the heaviest snowfall in DC history.

Posted by: Gambrills4 | February 4, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Tominfl1: Good to have you back on the blog. Seems like you've been gone a long time. Your statistical analyses and humor were over due!

Superbowl, schmuperbowl. It's good for watching funny commercials and eating chili.

Posted by: dccitizen1 | February 4, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Kovy turned down an offer that would have made him the highest paid player in the league. Gimme a break. Doesn't there come a point when these guys start feeling like a-holes demanding so much?

Posted by: gonchpup | February 4, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

@gonchpup: As long as agents are involved there is no such thing as concsience.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | February 4, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer97 & DrCapsFan11

To DrCapsFan11, yes, the Caps played Edmonton that day. (Air Florida crash)

I actually made to the game that day. We had had tickets to that particular game. Since my husband's car pool from the Pentagon had already left him, we figured we might as well go to the game anyway. He Metroed to New Carrollton. I drove to meet him and left work at 2:30. It took 5 hours to get to New Carrollton. We didn't arrive at the game until 1st intermission.

Once there, they gave the fans who got there a coupon for free hot chocolate.

Will I make it tomorrow? I don't know at this point. (It seems that getting home will be dicier than getting there.

Will I get there Sunday? If we can get out of our neighborhood. I'm almost tempted to park at the Park & Ride garage, walk home from there, and then walk back and drive to Sunday's game from there. (And maybe even bus it to Friday's game.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 4, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

@kcbrichmond

My husband used to follow that team in Richmond. He became a Flyers fan in the pros (and then became a Caps fan when the Caps started).

The Flyers were his secondary team (and he used to really hate the Bruins).

It took almost no time for him to become a true Caps fan. (No more Flyers rooting.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 4, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

My dad made it after the second period and he got stuck in the traffic crossing "The Bridge". He never missed a game he spent money on.

Posted by: zcxnissan | February 4, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

@Fro: if you serve poutine, I will be on the ready to push you out of whatever drifts may be in your path.

For that, and the Caps, we have Thanksgiving in February.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | February 4, 2010 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Lets just say that the ratings in both DC & Pitt will > than the SB if the games were head to head.
NBC needs the ratings. Why sit it out aginst your network rivals & let them have all the glory & ad $.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 5, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Hey kbrichmond, since we're only getting sleet down here in the RIC, why not move the game down here. Been lots of Caps jersey floating around here lately.

Anyhow, I am a transplant from DC but nothing like no traffic & 15 minute drives to appts.

How bout them Caps!

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 5, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

My problem isn't getting TO the game, its getting home. If the Caps decide to play, we may have to deal with 8 inches of snow to go home or eat club seats. I think the Caps should consider their fans safety here. Don't act like the Redskins.

Posted by: dtysko | February 5, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

NHL is in charge here...not the Caps...I do think the Caps will be consulted on the situation, but believe me...games have been played in places like Buffalo, and in Canada in this stuff..

A game in Buffalo went on and only 3k people could make it.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 5, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse