D.C. snow and tonight's Thrashers-Caps game

The Caps say tonight's 7 p.m. game against the Thrashers and Sunday's noon game against the Penguins are still on despite the threat of a severe winter storm in D.C. through tomorrow afternoon.

If you're braving the elements and heading out to Verizon Center tonight, here are some things to keep in mind:

*Metro will suspend above-ground service if snow accumulation reaches eight inches.

*MetroAccess has already suspended service.

*Don't drive, if you can help it. Here's why, via the Capital Weather Gang:

Get ready (if you stay up) for some of the heaviest -- if not the heaviest -- snowfall rates you ever see around here. It will come down in buckets, perhaps with some thunder, most of the night after things intensify markedly by 7 p.m. or so. The heaviest focus is likely from around 10 p.m. through sunrise. While most locations should pick up at least 1 foot overnight alone, don't be surprised if some spots pick up a good bit more.

Be safe, and if you're watching the game from the snow-free confines of your living room, break out the laptop and join Gene Wang for another live chat at 7 p.m.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 5, 2010; 4:58 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Green eager to get back in lineup
Next: Neuvirth set to start

Comments

Tarik, is Norvy in goal tonight?

Posted by: Wemiss21 | February 5, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I would love to know why the NHL thinks that the Penguins can land in DC for a 12 noon start on Sunday ??

Are they on crack ??

Posted by: FishCaps | February 5, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

I feel your guys pain. I really do.

I had to drive through rain just now coming back from the beach.

I've got some leftover steamed crabs for appetizers then it's rocking the red with lamb stew and cab for the game.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 5, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Not that it impacts me, but don't drive, but the Metro may be closed. Hmmmm.

Posted by: apa67 | February 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know, if I just show up at Verizon, will tickets that have been given up by folks not coming be available at the ticket office? Is there a mechanism for this? (And yes, I know it's generally called scalpers on F Street, just maybe not in a blizzard.)

Posted by: jcanix | February 5, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

@FishCaps

Seriously? If the storm ends on Saturday afternoon the Pens will have no problem flying into DC tomorrow night. It is very easy for an airport to clear a runway, all that matters is if it is snowing, visibility and wind.

From the stated forecast neither of those conditions will be present tomorrow night, the conditions sound like they will be absolutely fine to land an airplane.

Posted by: sgm3 | February 5, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Team should arrange groups rates at downtown hotels for fans...lol

Posted by: RichC3 | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

That's right, windjammer, I forgot his name. I'm actually looking forward to 21 games left and the analysis that follows.

Posted by: Moose33 | February 5, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE! Let's not even put that idea out into the blogosphere!

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Goalies please?

Posted by: gebster | February 5, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

gebster: Neuvy vs. Ondrej Pavelec

Posted by: rachel216 | February 5, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

I feel your guys pain. I really do.

I had to drive through rain just now coming back from the beach.

Posted by: tominfl1 | February 5, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I'll be pounding the mac-and-cheese while looking out the window at my minivan in the driveway rapidly disapear under a small mountain of snow. There must be a rule against posts like this somewhere in the WP's standards and policies . . .

Posted by: rbpalmer | February 5, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

stop whining. the caps played back to back in pitt because of some gay concert last year in the playoffs

Posted by: kylehuffstetler | February 5, 2010 5:52 PM | Report abuse

SGM3.....

I guess we'll see, but I've traveled into snow blanketed cities ( or at least tried to), it's not a cake walk like you think to open an airport. Especially w/ 2 ft of snow on the ground and temps in the teens.

Posted by: FishCaps | February 5, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm wondering how the Caps players can commute home and back in their little sports cars ?? Are they staying in a room across the street ??

Posted by: FishCaps | February 5, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jcanix
Nope.... no mechanism...... just lots of empty seats if they even play.

Posted by: FishCaps | February 5, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

@tominfl: Steak and a baked potato here. I went to the beach today also...... in the dream I had while napping earlier.

Posted by: eorr | February 5, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I sorta feel for you guys up there...having moved to balmy SC, I'm now having to put up with 54 dgs and rain. Bummer. Looking forward to No. 13, and hope ATDHE carries it.

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 5, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

My guess is that the Pens won't land at a DC airport. Probably Richmond or Newport News and bus to DC.

Posted by: wgayne | February 5, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Going to the game on Sunday, have a 4WD and hope to get out late Saturday and get a hotel in DC so I'll be there ready and on time

Posted by: hockeymom5 | February 5, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Simple fact is that conditions around DC will be so bad for the next few days, that even if the Penguins could land, it is irresponsible for the NHL and NBC to try to have this game played Sunday if the snow totals are close to what is being predicted.

Posted by: rbluesw | February 5, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

RICHMOND FORECAST LOOKS BAD TOO FOR PENS LANDING

Saturday: Snow. High near 34. North wind between 15 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Posted by: FishCaps | February 5, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

And NEWPORT NEWS has too small of a runway for that sized jet. Not looking good.

Posted by: FishCaps | February 5, 2010 8:57 PM | Report abuse

Newport News has a longer runway than National, and can handle 737's with no problem. What are the Penguins using, a B-52?

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | February 6, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse