D.C. Sports Bog: Crosby Objects to Hats on Ice

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

It sounds too good to be true... but yep; Sidney Crosby actually asked officials to make an announcement that fans should stop throwing hats on the ice after Alex Ovechkin's hat trick. Dan Steinberg's got the details:

If you're one of the best hockey players in the world, and you have a potentially undeserved reputation for excessive complaining, and you're asked what you were discussing with a game official following your rival's game-clinching playoff hat trick, you could potentially say, "Oh, it was nothing." Or, if you were feeling frisky, you could venture further afield.
"People kept throwing hats," Sidney Crosby said tonight. "I was just asking if he could make an announcement to ask them to stop. I mean, the first wave came and then I think they were all pretty much picked up, and then more started coming. So for us, we just wanted to make sure we kept kind of moving and kept the game going, wanted to try to get back in it. So wasn't complaining about anything."

Click here to read the rest.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  May 4, 2009; 10:43 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 2: Caps 4, Penguins 3
Next: Mike Wise Fake Mike Wise on Alex Ovechkin

Comments

What a putz.

Posted by: uncatim | May 4, 2009 10:47 PM | Report abuse

That's a *facepalm* moment. Really kid? My four year old cousin doesn't whine that much.

NHL.com's "Oops of the Day":

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

This guy's material writes itself. Amazing.

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Crosspost from the Bog:

Epic. Bylsma just needs to grab him after games by the scruff of the neck (what scruff? He can't even grow a beard), and drag him to the locker room. I can't possibly imagine better bulletin-board material than that, besides a big picture of Kunitz cross-checking Varly in the throat.

Hope they chartered the "Waaaaaaambulance" to cart Crosby back to Pittsburgh.

Posted by: KurtNYC | May 4, 2009 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Boy...is there a piece of cheese big enough for all that Whiiiiiiiiiiiine......Sid go back to Mario's basement your on restriction.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | May 4, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 4, 2009 10:50 PM | Report abuse

You really can't make this stuff up. I mean, sometimes I think the rap he has is not completely deserving (maybe earlier in his young career) but then he goes and does something like that...just asking for it.

Posted by: Moose33 | May 4, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

that's it Sid, just keep digging that hole.....

sure got to be frustrating to be told you're the greatest thing ever on ice since you were 13, and then have some crazy Russian kid prove everyone wrong night after night. Sid's going to be skating in Ovie's shadow the rest of his hockey career.

Posted by: RedBirdie | May 4, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh my goodness me! Pittsburgh must be proud.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | May 4, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

Sid is going to alienate his teammates even more. That little boy has no business being a captain. Sure he is talented, but a leader, hardly. He's the one who wants to maintain the dignity of hockey without showy celebrations after a goal. What he really wants are some teammates to care that he scores a goal. People love it when OV scores and his team celebrates WITH him, not FOR him. Sid is no leader.

Posted by: JIMALLCAPS | May 4, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

can't spell crosby without CRY

What a prissy little biatch!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | May 4, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

I think Mario has a secret dungeon and Crosby just likes to do things that will get him punished.

Posted by: oo7 | May 4, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

This must be a joke. C'mon.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

just when i was feeling bad for him for having to carry his team by himself . . . sheesh

Posted by: honed | May 4, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

But he does have a point. They wanted to get back in the game to tie it up.

Don't hate the guy for showing some emotion and wanting o do anything to win. Malkin on the other hand...

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

This must be a joke. C'mon.

Posted by: SC87

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHahahahahaHAhahahahahahahHAHahhaHAhahahahahHAhah
ah... my sides still hurt.

WAA Waa waa waaaaahhh

Posted by: oo7 | May 4, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I want to know why the league hasn't said anything about Kunitz cross-checking Varlamov in the head yet? That should have been a major penalty, but instead it made sure that the league's golden boy got a hat trick of his own.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | May 4, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

The next time we see them here, in the 09-10n season, instead of chanting cros-by, we should just yell waaahhh when he touches the puck.

poor little boy

Posted by: bluejeener1 | May 4, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

I am wrong for being mad - despite the glorious win - about cindy's punk-a** hat trick? What a joke. Will someone just clock him once as he stands untouched around our crease?!!! That's off my chest. GREAT WIN, CAPS!!!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | May 4, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope everyone in the press corp just stared at him blankly when he said that.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | May 4, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

BECAUSE IT WASN'T A DIRTY PLAY, GET OVER IT!

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

sc87 your hero is a wus!!!!!

Posted by: cadlecreek1 | May 4, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

SC87 said "But he does have a point. They wanted to get back in the game to tie it up.

"
He has NO POINT. The Fans make this game possible and if they want to follow TRADITION, then so be it - they throw hats, and more hats, and more hats.

The guy is a class AAA whiner and Uncle Gary has made a poor choice for the face of the league.

Posted by: eddiepanic | May 4, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

hey caplanta, did you ever see my post response to you all those days back? If not, I'll reiterate: apologizing was big of you, you manned up, I was wrong anyway, and I thank you. Im voting you for fan Selke. Sincerely. If you didn't see it, i wanted to make sure you did. Thanks.

Posted by: oo7 | May 4, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

seriously, why does cindy think he has the rights to request announcements? thats just classic. I'm still laughing.

Posted by: oo7 | May 4, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

ahhh the jaded view from Pens fans, they will never leave, and continue to try and enlighten us to the inconceivable truths that only are supported by another Pens fan. Tell me do they offer those sunglasses with black and gold lenses in a baby blue frame?
If I hadn't caught that your in Canada (shocker another Cindy supporter) I would ask if your riding the short bus with the team back to Pitt tonight, but that joke will have to be saved for the co-workers tomorrow who talked smack all day about The Caps are done and having solved Varly and blah blah blah.

Time to print out the picture of OV waving off the crybaby and hang it up in the cubicle.

Posted by: caps28fan | May 4, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm as much of a Caps fan as anyone, but I need to see a replay of the hit on Varly before I pass any more judgment. Anyone have a link? Refs might not have seen it and it didn't look *that* hard to me. Looked like a 2 minute minor for interference when I saw it live, refs missed it, whoop dee do. We win, Sidney cries, we're all happy.

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 4, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Hat tricks are stupid anyway. Why would you throw your hat on the ice, especially in the tough economic times we are in right now.

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Why blow $150 bucks on a hockey ticket then? Geez, these games should be empty.

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 4, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

SC87, now you just look bad.

Seriously, and I was going to compliment Sidney's game, because he certainly has that. What nature giveth, his piehole taketh away.

Enjoy the silence over at Pensblog. A$$hats.

Posted by: info_stuporhighway | May 4, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I took to calling "The Kid" the Diving Whiner over the past few years. Back in February on my blog, I stated I would tone it down because maybe he was getting a bum rap, that he was a good player, talented, etc. And then Crosby said what he said tonight... AND TOTALLY REDEEMS ME! What a sissy little baby! I am in agreement. No more booing the Kid. We all need to just yell "WAAAAAAAAHHHH!" when he has the puck...Lemeuix was a p***y. Crosby a baby.

Posted by: jmurray019 | May 4, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Please, Sidney Crosby would have nothing to say to the refs if it was Malkin who scored a hat trick at the Igloo.

Posted by: nhcaps | May 4, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

From Game Notes on ESPN.com:

A sign in the arena said: "I Whine Less Than Crosby," held by a baby sitting in the lap of a Capitals fan.

Genius

Posted by: Moose33 | May 4, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

What? ESPN.com covers hockey?

Posted by: snakegriffin | May 4, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87 | May 4, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

So which one of the Three Rivers are you going to be crying us tonight?

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 4, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm you know I bet sc87 really is Crosby and he wants to whine some more.

Posted by: birhat | May 4, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Glad Varly didn't get decapitated by Kunitz's check... Varlamov is awesome and I can't wait to see Kunitz get what is coming to him. He just better hope the Caps beat them before Bashear gets a hold of him. "Check" out the video

Posted by: Pwr4wrd | May 4, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

oo7 - I did see it - and thanks! I like your stuff, so keep on posting. And GO CAPS!!

Posted by: CAP-lanta | May 4, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

hahahahaha, don't start crying SC87, it's ok, your hero will be fine. He'll stop crying as soon as he gets a pacifier...

Posted by: Andoy | May 4, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

the crosby comment is really funny. i laughed a lot.

reposting questions:

had to miss the game.. how was sloan?

also, who were awarded the stars and the hard hat awarded to?

did varly steal one or was it earned all around?

Posted by: am_jim | May 4, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

I think we made SC87 mad when we made fun of Crosby. Hey, SC87, are you a 12 year old girl that has a crush on Crosby? hahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Andoy | May 4, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SC87

ooooohhhhhhh now you're concerned about the economy??? hey little girl, hats are dime a dozen in Walmart. People can afford them. Stop whining...

Posted by: Andoy | May 4, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Why spend your time talking about trolls?

The cross check was bad. I agree it's a net positive for the Pens going into game 3. I certainly don't see any discipline coming from it.

We have a lot of work to do. Game 3 is huge. Lock em down Caps!!

Posted by: Sonyask | May 4, 2009 11:41 PM | Report abuse

I think that crosscheck to the head (Kunitz was not looking at the puck or playing it) should get a game suspension.
My wife just told me to tell you Pens fans to remind Crosby to change his tampon every 8 hours to prevent toxic shock syndrome

Posted by: jmurray019 | May 4, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jmurray019 | May 4, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

I lol'd

Posted by: ModestProposal | May 4, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

You're /kidding me/. Oh. My. God. As good a player as he might be, someone call the freakin' waaaaaahhhhmbulance. Seriously. What a puling little brat.

Posted by: kittypawz | May 4, 2009 11:49 PM | Report abuse

There was so much commotion in front of the net on the head shot to Varly, that I missed it, replay didn't look too bad. Simeon recovered as well as he could. Take Ovie and Crosby out of the game and it's 1-0 CAPS!

Posted by: bhound69 | May 4, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

When are pens fans going to get it...that everything sidney does, ovie does better.

Every time crybaby scores a garbage goal, ovie will score a highlight reel.

Everytime sidney starts the scoring, alex the great will finish it.

Go back to your foul smelling rotting town you pens fans...get out of our arena if you don't want to watch the hats rain on your sh*tty goalie.

Posted by: netminder71 | May 4, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm embarrased for CRosbY.....he puts the osb in CRY.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 4, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Boudreau is aware of the neck-check to Varlamov"

"More rough stuff: Kunitz delivered what Boudreau considered a "vicious" cross-check to Varlamov in the game's final minute. "We hope the league takes a long look at that," Boudreau said.

(Source:

Posted by: mischadc83 | May 4, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps instead of talking to the referee during the 3 minute Hat Delay, Crosby cold have used that time more wisely, like checking to see if his testicles descended.

Posted by: jmurray019 | May 4, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Crosby
Always
Pees
Sitting down

Posted by: bhound69 | May 4, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from the game...thoughts.

It's sad Crosby had to complain about the hats on the ice, because if we're being honest, pretty goals or not...missed calls before a goal or not, the guys is the best Penguin on the ice by far. We're up 2-0 but it's not his fault at all. I thought the NHL was short-changing Malkin by making so much of the hype in this series all about Ovie and Crosby, but the proof is in the pudding. I feel amazing knowing I witnessed BOTH of their first career playoff hat tricks against each other in the same game. Unreal, historic. That being said, Ovie won this game. I'm still not going to take anything away from Crosby though, he has brought it, no matter how pretty or ugly the goals are.

The officiating was weird tonight. I didn't like all the calls against us, might have been a time or two they could have called us for other stuff. I'm still getting used to what a "playoff interference" is. Because it seemed like they missed more than a couple, mostly on them but one or two that could have been called on us as well. They did nail Poti with one. The Steckel semi-breakaway it was hard to tell if their D man contacted his legs before appearing to get the puck. Considering some I thought they missed, I figure it's a wash.

Crosby needs to get in Malkin's face and tell him to start showing up. On the flip side I thought our 2nd line (Backs/Semin/Flash) looked a little out of sync tonight. They generated a few chances but beyond that one I thought Semin should have put in early in the 2nd not many other quality chances. Backstrom did get his 10th assist on Ovie's PP goal.

I'm assuming Fehr got hurt on that big hit he took early in the 1st, looked like Ovie and Semin were getting double shifts all night on the 4th line.

The Stecks/Brads/Laich line produced again, huge goal again too. They played well all night.

Feds and Kozlov looked MUCH better with Ovie tonight. I thought Feds was losing some key faceoffs early on but great job working the puck through all 3 guys on Ovie's 1st and 3rd goals.

Varly was stellar at times, needs to find some of those rebounds but sometimes those things are going to happen. Green was horrible in front of our net tonight.

The D as a whole did a much better job not giving up as many odd man rushes...Letang had a breakaway but that was on an odd clear just as he was coming out of the box.

We haven't won anything yet, just held serve at home 2-0. Pretty much as good as it gets, but we need to put in the effort to get a split up in Pittsburgh.

More later, still digesting highlights.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | May 4, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

any news on Semin's injury?

Posted by: eddiepanic | May 5, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Pitt is not going to roll over. They are way too good for that. I think we match up well on ice and on paper. I don't think Theodore would have got us this far. I pictured 2 scenerio's when the switch to Varly was made. The second one is panning out for now. Caps keep bringing it and a game 3 win can seal it.

Posted by: bhound69 | May 5, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Dave -- I don't think it was that close on the Steckel breakaway; we got a gift on that one. The D-man definitely got all the puck before taking out Stecks' legs. Then again, there were a bunch of non-calls that went the other way.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 5, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

@bhound69: Can I steal that from you for a sign if we go to a Game 5?

Posted by: kittypawz | May 5, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

@Kitty

PLEASE DO!!! It's all yours!

Posted by: bhound69 | May 5, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

man, dave, you had lots of thoughts!

I thought Sloan started out a little shaky, but he really settled down and played pretty well. Good shots from the point, one lead to steckels goal.

As for the refs, Orpik got to cross check semin a LOT in the 3rd and not get called. It seemed that the refs did everything they could to help Pittsburgh out, like the first goal when semin and ovie were put in the box. Jurcina got 2 for cross checking Crysby, but the pens got say with at least 5.

Will Varly wake up with a stiff neck tomorrow? Will Semina hand be swollen? Makes me shudder.

Posted by: oo7 | May 5, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

steckel breakaway: got steckel and the puck at the same time, but also tried to trip steckel before that unsuccessfully.

Posted by: oo7 | May 5, 2009 12:12 AM | Report abuse

I posted this comment on the Bog, but I can post it here too:

I think the folks who gathered up all the hats should mail them to:

Sidney Crosby
c/o Pittsburgh Penguins
66 Mario Lemieux Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15219-3516

That is the real address of Mellon Arena...

Oh, and when Ovie gets a hat trick in Game 3, feel free to toss your hat on the ice up there.

Posted by: MikeL-Caps911 | May 5, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Correct response:
"Sick game. Sick goals by me and him," said Ovechkin. (http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy)

Incorrect response: "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" said Cindy.

Posted by: mrszilla | May 5, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mrszilla | May 5, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

OH - MY - GOD. Are you serious?!? Is he serious?!? You've GOT to be kidding me?!? UN-believable.

Posted by: --Boo-- | May 5, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Crosby is such a jerk. The nerve of him to complain about the fans throwing hats after Ovi's hat trick.

I like him even less as a result of this playoff series, which is pretty bad considering I can't stand the guy.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 5, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Um @CAPS FANS. Is there any way we can get the word out to make a "WHAAAAAA" sound instead of a "booo" whenever the sissy touches the puck, that would be great. Well that is if the PENS come back to VERIZON....

Posted by: strkfitrsqdrn14ao | May 5, 2009 12:28 AM | Report abuse

Is SC87 another name for StanleyCup1907 or a different troll? Definitely seems pro-Pittsburgh and running down the Caps.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 5, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Ovi won the hard hat for today. (Appropriate when he had a hat trick.) I recall one other game when Ovi got the hard hat on the day he did a hat trick -- just before Thankgiving.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | May 5, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

ACtually, N/M, I have another sign concept. Oh, the fun I can have with the play on Caps and hats ....

Posted by: kittypawz | May 5, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

What happened to Fehr? Does anyone know? He didn't play in the second or third period.

Posted by: gebster | May 5, 2009 12:38 AM | Report abuse

oo7 -- it sure looked like the guy got all puck live, aand again on the jumbotron, before taking Steckel down. Clean play from my vantage point.

Posted by: Sonyask | May 5, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

I usually cut Sid some slack because of his age, but this is just too much. He really shouldn't be the captain until he grows up a bit. He's an embarrassment.

Posted by: farmgirl19C | May 5, 2009 12:45 AM | Report abuse

The tripping call on Steck's semi breakaway was a a bit of a gift. Still they missed 3 or 4 blatant calls that could have gone against Pitt.

I can not believe Crosby actually said that to the refs, then had the stupidity to repeat it to the press.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | May 5, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

sonyask, I only watched it when it happenned but it looked to me like he got both steckels skates and the puck at once. I might be wrong; but the clincher was the Waco at his skates before the puck attempt. Had steckel gone down then, it would have been called. I'll take it though,

In general the refs have sucked.

Posted by: oo7 | May 5, 2009 12:52 AM | Report abuse

BHOUND that was the funniest thing I've seen in days! Absolutely phenominal! SOMEBODY has got to go to game 5 with that sign (if there is a game 5 that is)!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | May 5, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone else think Boud is making a monumental mistake by not playing Backs and Ovechkin together?

They cant continue to expect Ovechkin to play this way, having to take the puck all the way up ice because the two old guys on his line cant hack it anymore.

Semin doesnt read plays well so he is never in position to get those nifty passes from Backstrom.

It might not cost them yet but mark my words it will if he doesnt change the lines back to what they were all season.

Posted by: sauld420 | May 5, 2009 1:38 AM | Report abuse

Just when I thought Syd the Kid (emphasis on kid....er baby) was starting to show some maturity and in turn gain respect he does this. If he gets a hat trick, the fans should throw Binky's on the ice!

I agree about Ovechkin/Backstrom. However, BB isn't going to touch a thing until they lose again.

Posted by: croftonpost | May 5, 2009 2:44 AM | Report abuse

This must be a joke. C'mon.

Posted by: SC87

Even a Pens fan is ashamed! LOL!!!

Posted by: rachel216 | May 5, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

"I Whine less than Crosby" picture...

Posted by: kregars | May 5, 2009 7:28 AM | Report abuse

Don Cherry told him to do it.

Crosby is an ass.

Posted by: bucknelldad | May 5, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse

Crosby admitted he was complaining about the hats and said that he wasn't complaining in the end. I repeat that it's the exact reason why 56% of NHL players said that he talks too much. He should behave like a true captain (take Selanne example) and just use this EXTRA TIME to talk to his teammates about coming back into this game, there's nothing officials can do to stop the hats or was he thinking that an announcment would calm everyone?! Not likely. People would throw even more hats to piss off Crosby

Posted by: Hazz | May 5, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

WHAAAA HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Hilarious!

Posted by: cappies | May 5, 2009 9:16 AM | Report abuse

I object to Crysby!!

Posted by: doughless | May 5, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

BECAUSE IT WASN'T A DIRTY PLAY, GET OVER IT!

Posted by: SC87

I just ran along this comment. You did not see it, did you? I know it's hard for you to admit it because you're obviously a Pens fan. (You are a liar, cause you said earlier you were a Sens fan. I know you hate telling people you're a Pens fan.) But, honestly, that was completely a cheap shot, a dirty play. He did not accidently do that, seriously, please.. if a Cap did that to Marc Andre Fleury, you'd be screaming for a suspension. Anyone with a right mind knows that that was dirty and intentional, not to mention vicious. What a dirty little play by a dirty player.

Posted by: rachel216 | May 5, 2009 7:22 PM | Report abuse

Instead of booing, just start making crying noises when Crybaby touches the puck.

The sad part is, I was out of town this weekend in a non-hockey area, and talking to a non-hockey person who knew exactly who Crybaby was.

Posted by: dj1123 | May 6, 2009 11:54 AM | Report abuse