Deal No. 2: Caps get center Eric Belanger

(Victor Decolongon/Getty Images)

An hour after getting tougher and more experienced on the wing by adding Scott Walker, the Caps have picked up center Eric Belanger from the Minnesota Wild for a second-round pick.

The 32-year-old Quebec native had 13 goals and 22 assists in 60 games with the Wild. Like Walker, his contract ($1.75 million) is also due to expire in July. He came up through the Los Angeles system and played for Coach Bruce Boudreau in AHL Lowell.

Although there's an hour to go, and more moves could be coming, today's acquisitions could mean some hurt feelings in a tight dressing room that boasted about its chemistry.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  March 3, 2010; 1:54 PM ET
 | Tags: Eric Belanger
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: More on new Capital Scott Walker
Next: More on new Capital Eric Belanger

Comments

now we need a D-man!

Posted by: zyvo23 | March 3, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Who the heck is Eric Belanger?

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000 | March 3, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Man, had to move threads.

Posted by: saintex | March 3, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

A couple of character players so far. Any big names on the way?

Posted by: cbs75 | March 3, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

WE NEED A DEFENSEMEN!!!!

Posted by: arcassells | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

WE NEED A DEFENSEMEN!!!!

Posted by: arcassells | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I still think we have room to make another move. We're not ruining chemistry by giving up draft picks. a 2nd and a 7th. Might as well be a 3rd and an eighth (haha).

Landing a physical Dman for Fehr and a BMo is a necessity I think. We MUST upgrade our defense.

Posted by: wcc118 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Belanger is another pending UFA. I hope something big lies behind these moves. Do it GMGM!

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Okay, but now we have a forward log jam. We'll get a D but I'm guessing that either Fehr or B. Mo are on there way out.

Posted by: nfb987 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

2 Forwards in. I think that means that someone is leaving. Hoping it's not Fehr but that would be my guess. Not sure if Boyd Gordon would fetch much.

Posted by: ouvan59 | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

There is something coming up in Atlanta. LeBrun was told to "Stay tuned".

Would anyone argue with Kubina in a Caps sweater?

Posted by: pkendrick | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Scott Walker scored a game winning goal in a playoff series, so he is also lots better than Alex Ovechkin.

Sincerely,

Mike Wilbon

Posted by: zmega | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Who the heck is Eric Belanger?

Posted by: jamalnasir_2000

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Looks like they might be moving at least one forward. Belanger is good but right now doesn't have anywhere to fit into the lineup unless they move Morisson, Fleichmann, or Fehr. Might be working on a deal to get a defenceman that inclues either Fleichmann or Fehr plus a pick for a defenceman. Probably Staios.

Posted by: Stu_c | March 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Dont need a dman. Need smarter forwards to support d in playoffs. Smart moves.

Posted by: clarkj | March 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

1 hour to go...logjam at forward...someone's gotta be moving out of town...must be for a dman...anticipation sucks ;)

Posted by: jsnyd1 | March 3, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

I liked this move until I saw that he was French Canadian.

I kid.

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

GMGM is smarter than all of us. These moves are leading to something. He's not done.

Posted by: JD09 | March 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

i would, not a kubina fan. He's played well at certain points in his career but I've seen him play a bit this year and he's been mailing in too many efforts. Just content to be a big pylon out there. Even that last game we played him he got abused by our forwards

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Would anyone argue with Kubina in a Caps sweater?

Posted by: pkendrick

Certainly not me. I've been advocating that deal for months. Rather have Hamhuis tho

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | March 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I do not know enough about him, but is he the type of center that could be used to face Crosby and have Belanger follow him all over the ice?

Posted by: sgm3 | March 3, 2010 2:00 PM |

Oh man, if he can be a shadow guy as well, then I love the move more.

All I know about him is that he's defensively sound, can be tough while also showing some finesse skills, and he kills penalties.

I love this move, thought it puts a huge ? on other forwards right now.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:02 PM

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

@ jamalnasir

Thank You! We can only get lucky with BMo trades so many times....GMGM please stop being cheap and get us somebobdy real!

Posted by: capscoach | March 3, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

When I try to connect to Caps Report, all I get is a jukebox of eclectic rock. What's wrong?

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | March 3, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Fehr is gone to either Toronto for Kaberle or Nashville for Hamhuis....mark it down.

Posted by: ThePat | March 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

If I played in Atlanta I'd be mailing it in too

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | March 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | March 3, 2010 2:03 PM |

Ditto.

Kubina..lets get it done.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Kaberle rumored to Vancouver

Posted by: docjohnson | March 3, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Kubina = Poor man's Regehr, with more offensive upside. He's also not as slow as one would think.

Hamhuis is seeming less likely though.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

If I played in Atlanta I'd be mailing it in too

Posted by: TempusFugitRGV1 | March 3, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

shows a lot of character :)

and god no to Kaberle

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Would anyone argue with Kubina in a Caps sweater?

Posted by: pkendrick | March 3, 2010 2:01 PM |

Nope

Posted by: Fro_ | March 3, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

I just saw somewhere. Flash to Carolina, Corvo to Ottawa, Volchenchov to Washington

Posted by: numero94 | March 3, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Ducks get Curtis McElhinney and send Toskala to Calgary.

Posted by: elicea | March 3, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

funny how none of the rumors written here panned out as true.

Posted by: guer_j | March 3, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

-I posted this on the last thread-

I really like the Belanger move. He will be perfect as a 3rd line center. We do not need to move BMo and shouldn't. It is important to have depth at center and he will be the #2 center with Flash back at wing.

Belanger should help out the PK tremendously and he may be the guy on the ice for crucial defensive zone faceoffs when leading with under a 2 minutes to go.

From what I'm readng he sounds like the type of center that could be used to face Crosby and have Belanger follow him all over the ice as a shadow?

Posted by: sgm3 | March 3, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree -- a BIG D is a must.

Posted by: dah1963 | March 3, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Vesa Toskala just got moved again... barely had time to settle in. Headed to Calgary.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 3, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: docjohnson | March 3, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

sweet, new post, new thread ... when we getting a message board???

Posted by: flee001 | March 3, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Caps source tells ESPN they are not looking to pick up a goalie

Posted by: docjohnson | March 3, 2010 2:09 PM |

This has been the case the entire time, despite rumors.

Even Tarik sort of hinted at the fact that GMGM wasn't looking for a goalie of any kind.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

It is T-50 minutes! Lets go GMGM!

Posted by: capscoach | March 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

"Good news is no Thomas. Caps source tells ESPN they are not looking to pick up a goalie"

Does that mean Thomas is infact coming?

Posted by: guer_j | March 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Just because you don't know who the guy is doesn't mean he can't make a difference on this team. How many of you knew who Jason Chameria was before he was a Cap? Belanger is a good face off person who plays the PK which is exactally what the Caps were looking for. He will help our team defense even with the face he doesn't play defense.

Posted by: icehammer97 | March 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Per ESPN:

Pierre LeBrun: Lots of rumors out there about the Caps and a goalie. Just got a note from a Caps front-office source regarding their possible chase for a goalie: ``We're not."

So there you go

Posted by: JDintheSD | March 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

flames and ducks just swapped goalies. thats a funny trade

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Does that mean Thomas is infact coming?

Posted by: guer_j | March 3, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

In McPhee-ese I would say yes...but sometimes I screw up the translations

Posted by: jsnyd1 | March 3, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Said it on the other post. to many players so either Hershey is going to be stocked or soemthing else is brewing.

Posted by: cptjack70 | March 3, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

good point icehammer - Belanger is 10x the faceoff god over Flash. Just on that we're slightly better defensively

and yes, agreed that its a team game and our defensive woes are not all on our D. Our fwds play a big part in that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

why is my live feed of tsn on nhl dead!

Posted by: saintex | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Something is brewing, it smell like sweet victory fro the Caps

Posted by: guer_j | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Richmond Phil,

I'm excited about both veteran forwards being added, especially Belanger if he can do what you were speaking of in your post yesterday.

But if we're done, what do we do with our surplus of forwards? Surely something more is in the works. Rumors circulating about a goalie deal, more likely Thomas of Boston than Vokoun - but don't know how that can work salary wise (perhaps it can).

Thoughts? Do these moves make sense if we don't deal surplus forwards for D or goalie?

Posted by: knk4jack | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The more I look at them, the more I love the two moves GMGM made so far. Added toughness and a veteran presence with Walker, and a solid FO center with Belanger - he's kinda like Steckel but with more offense. Plus, looks like Belanger can PK - Wild used him on PK quite a bit this year.

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

well then we better get Varley and Neuvirth ready for the playoffs...because if "Theo" is our starter...we are in for a LONG summer...

And don't throw his stats or his numbers at me....

Unless...we pick up 1 or 2 stay at home quality strong north american defensemen...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Muir's comments on the Belanger trade:

"Anyone else waiting for the other shoe to drop? Belanger is a nice player -- great speed, a diligent checker, better than average in the dots -- but adding him and Scott Walker to the mix makes for a very crowded group of forwards. At this point, a deal involving one of the team's youngsters (Tomas Fleischmann? Eric Fehr?) for a top-four defender seems almost inevitable."

I like that he writes Belanger has great speed, is a diligent checker and a very good faceoff man. I think many people were calling out for a center like that.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

As I see it:

--Walker was born in Ontario.
--Belanger is from Quebec.

ergo...

More Canadian players in Caps sweaters = "Referee Insurance" for the playoffs?

Could be.

If so (and if it works out well for the Caps), I'll have to smile, shake my head and say:

"GMGM, you clever B****** you!"

Posted by: Rhino40 | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Halpern get out of Tampa and to a good team like the Kings.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Goalie with more than 1 year left on contract = bad.

Posted by: flee001 | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Still one too many forwards in the lineup. Something has to be in the works. If there isn't something big coming, Fehr is the odd man out. If they are working on a larger move it would be Fleichmann. I personally wouldn't get rid of Flash without being able to bring in a great defenceman. But I don't know who you could move Fehr to in exchange for a defensive upgrade.

Posted by: Stu_c | March 3, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

one thing is, this should signal the end of Boyd Gordon.

Belanger to me is just a better version of Gordo. He's more tenacious, and a better PKer.

So with Steck and Belanger playing the PK, no more need for Gordo. And it lets Scott Walker move in there on the wing. And hopefully gets Laing back into the lineup.

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: knk4jack | March 3, 2010 2:14 PM |

I mean, I don't want GMGM to be done, but that may very well be the case. I don't necessarily think moving forwards out means the moves don't make sense. Two pending UFAs.

We'll see.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

If Belanger is fast, I like this even better. Him and Chimera plus Walker(?) could be a great fast, gritty 3rd line.

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Burnside just said lots of buzz about Flash...

Posted by: PhilR | March 3, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

"This is a team that has stockpiled enough. They could make a major move."
-Pierre McGuire

Guess pretty obvious, but still exciting.

Posted by: jcoral128 | March 3, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Pierre LeBrun: Quiet from Montreal....

My theory on the Caps and this does NOT come from a source but just my gut:

caps may try to make an offer for Kaberle given all the forwards they now have.... maybe something revolving around Fleishmann.... we'll see

Posted by: CapsBaby | March 3, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I'd hate to see Flash go...so much upside with him. I wouldn't like to see Fehr go, but if I had to choose, bye Fehr :(

Posted by: jsnyd1 | March 3, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I think the extra forward problem is not a big deal because I believe that the 23 man roster does not exhist after tonight so we can keep 25 guys on the NHL roster.

Posted by: icehammer97 | March 3, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see Halpern get out of Tampa and to a good team like the Kings.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | March 3, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

Tampa will probably make the playoffs next yr as a bottom seed. They made significant strides this year and they have some good young players who should come into their lineup next season. I wouldnt bag on em

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

the guy on nhl network knows something and his colleague just called him on the carpet but he wont budge. Sid caps have a lot of talent that they now can move because of todays pick-ups. His only hint was it wont be a goalie..

Posted by: cptjack70 | March 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I think we have to move forwards now - just have too many. Get rid of Gordon, maybe package him with Flash and picks for a dman?

Posted by: timmyv38 | March 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

It's possible that Fehr or Flash are on the way out, but not definite. Q. Laing is an extra forward and could be the odd guy out. He could get waived and sent to Hershey.

Posted by: ablake70 | March 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Pierre LeBrun of ESPN:

My theory on the Caps - and this does NOT come from a source but just my gut:

caps may try to make an offer for D Kaberle given all the forwards they now have.... maybe something revolving around Fleishmann.... we'll see

Posted by: knk4jack | March 3, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

this blog is crapping out

Posted by: guer_j | March 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Come on McPhee. I like the direction this day is heading.

Posted by: barney56 | March 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Kaberle has a year left on his contract. Significant salary has to go the other way for him to come in.

ANd if we are going to play "gamble on the salary cap", then I'd rather have Souray, almost.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

to clarify.he says it not inside info just obvious observation of todays moves..

Posted by: cptjack70 | March 3, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Kaberle is an upper-middle class man's Mike Green. Not what we need.

Posted by: docjohnson | March 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Torres to Buffalo

Posted by: elicea | March 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Torres to BUF.

Great pick up by Ruff.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Some food for thought:

Belanger previously played for Washington coach Bruce Boudreau when both were with the AHL’s Lowell Lock Monsters from 1999-2001. He had 23 goals and 35 assists in 78 games under Boudreau.

I wonder if Bruce told GMGM to go get him.

Posted by: icehammer97 | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Sabres got Torres

Posted by: barney56 | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vtcaps08 | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Bmo isn't going anywhere. GMGM and Ted both believe and rightfully so that you need to be strong up the middle. With Backs, Belanger and Bmo as our top 3 centers I think we're pretty good in that department now.

I agree I think it's Fehr and Gordon that are gone. If Flash is gone it'll be for a better Dman than Fehr would fetch is my 2 cents.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

No it doesn't. That salary move could be taken care of in the off-season. However, if the Caps moved Flash for Kaberle then that would about cover for it since Flash is expected to make around $3.3-$3.5M next year and Kaberle has a cap hit of $4.5M.

Souray has a cap hit in the fives for at least two more years.

I also think Kaberle is better.

Posted by: sgm3 | March 3, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vtcaps08 | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM |

I don't buy that at all. Kaberle cannot be worked with unless we;

a) want to trade him again and lose value.
b) move salary back.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

cstanton: Exactly, we brought in Belander to be the checking center/PK center because Boyd Gordon has never really become the player we thought he'd be. Walker is OK. So far so good. At least we got a defensive forward who can also score some. This is a guy you might extend for a year or two until Johansson is ready.

Posted by: tominfl1 | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@NHLTradeFrenzy is on drugs. Kaberle for Alzner straight up wouldn't even make sense for the Caps.

Posted by: Stu_c | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Alzner, Fehr and a 1st

That is a ton.

Posted by: barney56 | March 3, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Both of these moves are great "tweak" moves. We needed more grit and we got that in Walker. We needed another strong 2nd/3rd line center and we got that in Belanger. Another "tweak" or big move on D would be awesome. My hopes are for Volchenkov honestly. Of all the ones named I want him the most and yes I'd give up Fehr, Gordo and a pick for him.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 3, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

________________

You guys keep proposing these, but come on now. You want to pick-up a rental, who's not a pending free agent, to move him again?

If it works under the Cap without having to let guys walk later, then fine, but I don't see this happening unless some salary is moved out now.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Fehr, Alz and 1st for Kab, that is overpaying and Tor woudl be stupid to pass

Posted by: flee001 | March 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

"According to @NHLTradeFrenzy the Capitals have offered Fehr, Alzner and a 1st for Tomas Kaberle.

Posted by: vtcaps08 | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse"

Yeah, right. GMGM would NEVER make that deal.

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I think [hope] something big is coming. Kaberle? Niedermeyer? Something that puts us over the top!

Posted by: bigschu8 | March 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

CBJ gets Nathan Paetsch and a second rounder in the Torres trade.

Posted by: elicea | March 3, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Kaberle for Alzner straight up wouldn't even make sense for the Caps.

Posted by: Stu_c | March 3, 2010 2:25 PM |

Not at all. Kaberle is worth 2 or 3 Alzner's.

Posted by: richmondphil | March 3, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Question for the Capologists. Both Fehr and Flash make under $1 million a year, so their Cap his is low. Walker makes $2.5 mil and I'm sure Belanger is around $2 mil, so wouldn't adding a swapping a player for Fehr or Flash put that team in cap trouble. I ask this because I think the Caps would have to move a player with a higher Cap hit than those two to add another high price player. Like maybe a winger with a $4.6 mil cap hit?

Posted by: ablake70 | March 3, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

not sure Kaberle is the type of Defensman we need.....However if we got him it is still a major upgrade on what we currently have

Posted by: CapsBaby | March 3, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

go to the new post

Posted by: doughless | March 3, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

BTW, Steve Hindle just wrote about the Caps 2 moves and then put up a pole asking what "WE" needed to do in order to catch up to the "Pens"! WTF? Really? Who's catchin who here? Last yr is history Steve.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | March 3, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

ablake, we only owe them pro-rata for this season and both are UFA after the season. We have cap space to cover both for now.

Kaberle is squishy for me. I want Anton.

Posted by: saintex | March 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@ablake70 -- The cap numbers are pro-rated based on the games with the team. We have plenty of room to take on big salaries provided they expire at the end of the season.

Posted by: butcherbaker | March 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

kaberle is absolutely not the type of D we need. He's 100% finesse

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

@ ablake70

The cap space dosent really come into play this season, we are only on the hook for about 20% of the salary this year... Flash for sure will demand 3 mil+ next season..So the Cap space is not an issue this year....If you are talking about next year Flash will get 3 mil+ so its good to get something for him

Posted by: CapsBaby | March 3, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Man we don't need any more darn forwards! We need a Dman badly. It's always been our weakest spot. Sure our forwards need to be playing smarter, but our dmen need to be playing HARDER. Our biggest weak point is always our defence. Always has been, always will be unless GMGM finally gives and does what he should.

I got nothing against the players we picked up other than the fact that we didn't NEED them! We need D. If he's putting something together for a dman, I'll take back my words..if not...i'll continually slam that man until he gives the team what it needs!

Posted by: lloydrj727 | March 3, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Eric Belanger's behindthenet.ca rating at the moment is +0.64, which is pretty good. Amongst players who have played at least 30 games so far this season, that ranks #122 in this 30-team league, and second-best on the Wild roster. http://www.behindthenet.ca/2009/new_5_on_5.php?sort=7§ion=goals&mingp=30&mintoi=&team=&pos=

The behindthenet.ca rating is basically +/- relative to the rest of your team. It tries to be sort of a measure of overall value.

As for Scott Walker, his behindthenet rating is only 0.02, which is nothing remarkable but isn't negative. He definitely doesn't score. But he has been in 62 fights in 12 regular seasons prior to this one, including ones in 2008 against Matt Bradley (which I'm sure Walker won--has Bradley ever won a fight?) and Sean Avery. He is 5'10" and 195 pounds according to ESPN.

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vtcaps08 | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse
------------------

NO...we don't need another "puck moving defenseman"

Posted by: carsonspence | March 3, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vtcaps08 | March 3, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse
------------------

only McPhee would be dumb enuff to do that

Posted by: cstanton1 | March 3, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

@lloydrj727

Relax dude these are great trades! They could be leading up to something else... However both of the trades made make our team defense better...While they are both forward they are solid on D....Relax our team is getting better and better with each trade

Posted by: CapsBaby | March 3, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Speculation that Alzner would be involved with the Kaberle transaction

Posted by: OviFan08 | March 3, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

We need to draft an offensive lineman!

Oops, wrong board.

Posted by: playahatah | March 3, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

maybe fehr, alzner for niedermeyer...but not for Kaberle

we have all sorts of kaberle's...Green, Poti, Pothier...

Posted by: SoaringCaps | March 3, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Although we don't "need" another player like Kaberle, he would be a HUGE upgrade to what we have now, not to mention he's a great power play QB. He would be a steadying influence on the rest of the D-men and could be a mentor to Green. We just need to upgrade our D, period.

Posted by: sca187 | March 3, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

The calm before the storm... Something big is brewing...

Posted by: sca187 | March 3, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

TSN keeps talking about something big in the works for the Caps, merely speculation at this point however.

Posted by: pebowers | March 3, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

JUICE? You've got to be kidding me!

Posted by: ablake70 | March 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina a Cap AGAIN according to TSN

Posted by: pebowers | March 3, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Ten minutes. Arghhhhhhhhhh

Posted by: mattR5 | March 3, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Our big defensive upgrade is MILAN JURCINA???!!!??? Are you f$#@ing serious???

Posted by: mja712 | March 3, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

During his 14 regular seasons prior to this one, I believe Walker is fighting at a rate of about one fight every 12.63 games or so. From what I can tell from www.hockeyfights.com, he's not bad at fighting either.

My sense is that he doesn't battle the huge enforcer types that often though.

Posted by: youaresquishy | March 3, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad the Caps biggest defensive pickup at the deadline is the guy they sent packing 3 months ago! Makes no sense!

Posted by: ablake70 | March 3, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

wtf

Posted by: TwoBuckChuck | March 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina for TBD? WTF?

Posted by: mattR5 | March 3, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

That stinks... I bought another jersey because I thought he was gone forever...

Posted by: kkd76 | March 3, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina is back....our new Dman

Posted by: jvbstable | March 3, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Jurcina is our blue-line addition?!?! WEAK SAUCE!!

Posted by: sargeantmofo | March 3, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

jurcina coming back???

Posted by: bigdummy1 | March 3, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

That stinks... I bought another jersey because I thought he was gone forever...

Posted by: kkd76 | March 3, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Ebay!! I do like Juice but can't say that I'm a bit disappointed by this.

Posted by: ttn703 | March 3, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Pierre LeBrun: I'm told the Washinton Capitals slipped under trade under the radar... waiting to hear what

Posted by: knk4jack | March 3, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Toronto confirming Kaberle not traded.

Posted by: joe47 | March 3, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

The ultimate anti-climax

Posted by: jvbstable | March 3, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

corvo

Posted by: deadskin | March 3, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

looks like joe corvo is our man

Posted by: joe47 | March 3, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse