Posted at 12:33 PM ET, 02/28/2011

Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau on Dennis Wideman trade: 'I think it's a great pickup'

By Katie Carrera

Newly-acquired defenseman Dennis Wideman is a right-handed shot -- something in short supply on the Capitals' blue line.

The six-year veteran, acquired from Florida in exchange for prospect Jake Hauswirth and this year's third-round draft pick, is a puck-moving defenseman who can help Washington's speed and transition game, particularly with the uncertain health of Mike Green and Tom Poti.

"I think it's a great pickup," Coach Bruce Boudreau said. "You look at our situation and with Mike Green not being available for probably at least the next week, that we've only got six healthy defensemen and I think it's no secret that our power play is struggling. Dennis Wideman is a good power-play guy, a good puck mover. A solid veteran that's played on really good defensive teams and he plays lots of minutes for whichever team he plays for."

Wideman, 27, hasn't had the greatest of seasons with the struggling Panthers this year, with a minus-26 rating to go along with 33 points, but the fact remains that he brings qualities the Capitals need right now and experience that will help even if both Green and Poti return to full health.

"I don't think we could have made a better defensive pickup," Boudreau said. "The whole game is about speed, though, and speed doesn't necessarily mean how fast you can skate, but how fast you can move the puck. He's a puck mover, and Mike Green's a puck mover and John Carlson is getting to be one. I think it's paramount that you have that ability to make plays from your back end."

-- Via George Richards of the Miami Herald, here's a video of Wideman talking about going to Washington.

By Katie Carrera  | February 28, 2011; 12:33 PM ET
Categories:  Dennis Wideman, Mike Green
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals trade for defenseman Dennis Wideman
Next: Mike Green expected to miss at least the next two games

Comments

I think Hejda would have been better.

Posted by: pkme | February 28, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

If I see the BB bird call commercial one more time...

Posted by: OVIHtrick8 | February 28, 2011 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 12:45 PM | Report abuse

TSN just said Green is out 1-2 weeks.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Arnott coming our way sounds like

Posted by: lylewimbledon | February 28, 2011 12:46 PM | Report abuse

@robo the only question is that it was rumored he could be had for a third round pick. We don't have one anymore, or a second round pick. So unless we can package a D or MP and a 4th or something like that I fear we will have to overpay and give up our 1st for him.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 12:48 PM | Report abuse

So, with Wideman and Sturm...
is it:
Ov-Backs-Semin
Sturm-MaJo-Laich
Chimera-???-Knuble
Bradley-Steckel-Hendricks...

Can Hendricks be the 3rd line center...my gosh, we need a center...also, what happens with Fehr?

Posted by: cotelloer | February 28, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat and/or Pokerface - is this one of the moves you were expecting? Or is that still yet to come? Inquiring minds want to know!

Posted by: Thisistheyear
----------------------------------------
completely didn't know about this. I have a feeling it developed very recently.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Pierre Maguire on TSN just said something is about to break.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Shultz was + 55 last year. That should tell people all they need to know about the +/- stat in hockey.

Posted by: capsfansince74

so the same fans who once pointed to sarge's stats as evidence of how good he was are now using that stat in a different way to support a different argument.

how disingenuous.

Posted by: cstanton1
------------------------------------------
Um I really wish you'd get your facts straight before you start throwin me under the bus. I have NEVER used +/- to say 55 was good. I think he's terrible. You just throw out critisisms aimlessly don't you?

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capsfansince74

how disingenuous.

Posted by: cstanton1
------------------------------------------

Posted by: pokerface1208

poker are you blind or do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

Do you see your name anywhere in my post? Unless you're posting under "Capsfansince1974", I don't think my comment pertained to you.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 12:50 PM | Report abuse

If Arnott comes in, contracts have to be moved off. Poti and Fehr LTIR even balance of season only supports Sturm and Wideman.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

"The whole game is about speed, though, and speed doesn't necessarily mean how fast you can skate, but how fast you can move the puck."

i'm sure there are of ton of players that can get the puck off of their stick fast - but if it is sent to nowhere in particular - it doesn't really mean much.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

don't know who his D partner was in fla, but could it be expected that he performs better as a cap than as a panther?

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

Put it this way. When Wideman was paired with anyone but Chara in Boston, he was awful.

In Fla, he played a lot with McCabe, some with Bryan Allen. Once Keaton Ellerby got recalled and showed just how good he was, Wideman became more expendable.

So it depends on how you view McCabe and Allen. I view Bryan Allen as better than any Washington dman defensively. I view McCabe as more on par with most of our D.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@cotelloer

Lines at practice were
8-19-22,
18(Sturm)-90-28,
25-21-83,
26-39-10,
17-15-16

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 12:51 PM | Report abuse

@Thisistheyear

Caught me by surprise. I knew they were looking at D, but the ones I heard were much cheaper and more of depth guys.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Let me guess: the same people assailing Wideman's +/- are the same onesassailing Schultz's last season.

Decent pickup, I think... I'll like it better depending on what else they do today.

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Lepisto traded again!

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

CBJ has traded Klesla to PHX for Lepisto and Upshall.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 12:53 PM | Report abuse

---Boudreau--

This is the kind of OVER THE TOP BS that comes out of Boudreau's mouth that makes me want to smack him around. He sounds like a total idiot when he goes this overboard to support a move that McPhee makes.

he doesn't think there's a better defensive pickup than Wideman? Who does he think he's kidding? Wideman suddenly went from a decent situational player to a Norris Trophy candidate in Bruce's eyes.

I wish he would just shut his fat mouth and not jizz himself anytime McPhee makes ANY move.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Based on ThePat and Poker's reaction I am going to assume that Green is very questionable with concussion symptoms. I believe a puck-moving, PP QB defenseman popped up as a need during the 1st 10 minutes of Friday's game.

Posted by: fanohock1 | February 28, 2011 12:55 PM | Report abuse

cstanton1:
thanks - saw that on the last thread too

btw - new thread

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Well like it, or not, Wideman is here for at least the balance of the season, so might as well see how it pans out. Plenty of time for blame and finger pointing afterwards if the Caps crash and burn.

Posted by: kgain73 | February 28, 2011 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Before you can MOVE the puck, you have to go and GET the puck. Sometimes that involves having to win a battle against an NHL forward.

Bruce makes it sound like the NHL is just simply a bunch of dmen waiting back there for a puck to come to them so they can skate out with it. I really have to question if he understands the game or playoff hockey when forwards are bearing down at you at 100mph

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Who else that was available is better?

Posted by: GFisher1 | February 28, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

fanohock: If I remember, Green wasn't checked out after the Rangers game. He left first thing next morning to go home. OTOH, maybe's he's been checked in Calgary, but doubt it.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fanohock1

what's it gonna take for a hardnosed defensive dman to pop up as a need on this team? Not being sarcastic, just curious.

Because I have a feeling that even if Erskine went down, we wouldn't be replacing him with a similar type of player.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

OK so at full complement on D we have (theoretical lines):

Green-Shultz
Hanna-Wideman
Carlson-Alzner
Poti-Erskine
Sloan???

not sure we need 8 Dmen. Can I interpret this to mean one of our Dmen is out for season or getting traded?

Posted by: PSD1 | February 28, 2011 12:59 PM | Report abuse

@ctanton - I think Shultz is pretty useless out there. I wish he used his size more. I showed his +/- stat to show that its not the best way to prove what type of player we are getting. basically for the people who are saying wideman sucks since hes -32.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | February 28, 2011 1:01 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton01 - geez guy, give BB some slack. His response was articulate and well reasoned. Speed is about letting the puck do the work. Right now, #74 does make mistakes with passes (in particular his timid efforts on the PP which lead to 2 on 1's the other way) so he's still a work in progress. Without Greenie, we have no real effective puck moving d-man and Wideman gets us through.

Posted by: RedLitYogi | February 28, 2011 1:04 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton - what do you want Bruce to say, that the guy sucks moose nuts? I'm no BB apologist, but at least have grounds to criticize someone if you are going to do it.

Posted by: alpca3877 | February 28, 2011 1:11 PM | Report abuse

@ cstanton01..lol yea that was way over the top from BB. I think this was a good move though but i think getting another center is def. higher priority.

Posted by: anton8359 | February 28, 2011 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Good for BB to be positive. I hope he doesn't really mean that is his top priority. Almost a 1 to 1 trade on salary for Poti. Do they save money on Green while he is on IR? With him and Poti's time that probably covers 500K difference between Poti and Wideman. But he is not a rental so what is the deal for next year? Poti Green and Wideman? How many puck movers do you need?

Posted by: CapsDK | February 28, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

"As for Wideman to the Caps - smart move George McPhee. Mike Green's health or not, another like-minded defenseman won't hurt."

That's the Hockey News analysis. I think it carries a little more weight than the perpetual whining from cstanton, et al.

Posted by: StevefromSacto | February 28, 2011 1:23 PM | Report abuse

I think Wideman is a great move. If Arnott comes our way, we will have made some serious moves toward improvement. If we make no other acquisition by the deadline, I will be disappointed. We only have another 90 minutes.

Posted by: caraveli | February 28, 2011 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Dennis Wideman was sent from the Panthers to Caps this morning and talked on NHL Live this afternoon. Here's some of that:

"Definitely a surprise since I thought I would be a part of young Florida team moving forward but that's the way it works."

On the Caps: "I think maybe if they've changed their system a little bit that there will be a growing period for the guys to get used to it and that would probably slow down the offense a little bit but I think everybody know that when it comes down to playoffs, you're not winning games 5-4 or whatever, it's tighter and that's good. As far as what I can help, I'm just going out there to play my game and hopefully it works out."

Whiners, please note what he says about the playoffs: "When it comes down to the playoffs, you're not winning games 5-4 or whatever; it's tighter and that's good."

Posted by: StevefromSacto | February 28, 2011 1:39 PM | Report abuse

This definitely indicates Green's injury is worse than the Caps are letting on. Wideman has a history of playing on the PP and actually put up some good numbers in Boston. He's a good 5th or 6th defenseman who can help QB the PP and gives the Caps a righthanded shot besides Carlson. This move doesn't get made if Green played this weekend and was okay as Wideman is not known for being a rugged defender.

Biggest need still is a 2nd line center. I shudder to think that our 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers are MoJo, Beagle/Gordon, and Steckel. MoJo is a 3rd line center at this point in his career and the others should be on the 4th line.

Posted by: wizfan89 | February 28, 2011 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1

Criticizing BB for his preference of tactics or his line combos is all well and good, it's your opinion to share. But whether you like BB's coaching style or not, I don't think his understanding of the game can be questioned.

Posted by: ds_kelly | February 28, 2011 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Uh, Katie...
I think you meant to post this link:

Pretty sure nobody here cares much about the Dvorak trade.

Posted by: Wiley_One1 | February 28, 2011 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Arnott for Stecks

Posted by: CAPSHOCKEY2 | February 28, 2011 3:12 PM | Report abuse

@ds_kelly
I agree with you, but haven't you heard the latest rumor that cstanton1 is about to be made the next GM/Coach of the Caps? Leonsis expected to make announcement in time for the 6pm sports.

Posted by: RogerNoVa | February 28, 2011 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Arnott to Washington. espn

Posted by: jfwil | February 28, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

We lost steckel. Unbelievable. One of the great role players on this team. Center for our energy/checking line. The #1 faceoff man in the NHL. And we sent him packing.

The only person who should have been traded from this team (aside from 28 who NEVER should have been resigned) is Boudreau. Too bad coaches aren't traded.

Stecks has another 8-10 years in him. He was getting really, really good. And how NJ has pulled off another great trade and once again we are the losers.

It is clear that with the brains we have behind the bench and up in the GM box, our beloved capitals will never, ever win a stanley cup until that part of our store is swept clean.

Make no mistake about it. This is a huge loss that will be hard to bounce back from.

Posted by: bryanmcoleman | February 28, 2011 6:04 PM | Report abuse