Posted at 4:07 PM ET, 02/28/2011

Dennis Wideman: 'Hopefully I fit right in' with Capitals

By Katie Carrera

Dennis Wideman hadn't heard that the Capitals might be pursuing him, but the 27-year-old defenseman told reporters on a conference call this afternoon that he's excited to join Washington and be back in the playoff picture.

"My first reaction was excitement," said Wideman, whom Washington acquired from Florida in exchange for prospect Jake Hauswirth and this year's third-round pick.

"I've obviously played against Washington the last few years with Boston and then again with Florida. I know the type of game they play and the way they play. I'm just happy to be a part of it. I've heard so many great things about the organization. When I was in junior, my head coach -- and a guy I talk to quite a bit -- was Dale Hunter, and he spoke so highly of the Capitals for so long. It's a pleasure to be coming up your way."

Wideman credited his four years with the OHL's London Knights under the tutelage of both Dale and Mark Hunter for helping him become the player he is now in a sixth NHL season.

"Everyone knows what kind of player Dale was and what he means to that franchise," Wideman said. "He always said positive things with the way they treat players and moving forward, how they're trying to build the team."

The health concerns of Mike Green and Tom Poti make the addition of Wideman, another puck-moving defenseman who has offensive instincts, should help inject new life into the power play. It could also bring some of the breakout speed that's been missing lately, particularly with Green out.

Wideman said he believes his game will mesh well with the Capitals.

"Hopefully I fit right in with what they're trying to do there," Wideman said. "I think my game, and what I've tried to play on the teams I've been on, is good breakout passes, good first passes and I jump into the rush whenever I can. This is a team that controls the play a lot; they have the puck a lot and that's the type of hockey I enjoy playing."

Note: There will be more to come soon on newly-acquired center Jason Arnott, along with comments from General Manager George McPhee, so stay tuned.

By Katie Carrera  | February 28, 2011; 4:07 PM ET
Categories:  Dennis Wideman
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals acquire center Jason Arnott from New Jersey Devils in exchange for David Steckel
Next: Capitals GM George McPhee: 'I'm really happy with what we've acquired'

Comments

Overall good day for GMGM

Posted by: ttn703 | February 28, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Nick Kypreos
#NHL news. #Caps trade for Wideman couldn't have happened at a better time. Mike Green expected to be out of line-up up to 3 weeks.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Our team is better without sacrificing the future.

Good day for GMGM. Wearing my scarf with pride.

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | February 28, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Can someone please explain how the Devils "stole" Steckel from us? The guy has 58 points in 4 seasons! What exactly are we going to miss other than a faceoff win here and there?

Posted by: fb0782a | February 28, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

If BB is fired, I would like to throw my hat in the ring for Dale Hunter as the new head coach.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

he got 26 reasons to get better.(-26 +/- ranking)

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 28, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fb0782a | February 28, 2011 4:19 PM | Report abuse

look at the face-off stats, that guy is grinder for $1 million dollar. Still remember his scoring in game 6 vs Pens two years ago.

Posted by: beforeitstoolate | February 28, 2011 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The Cooke-Huet-Fedorov deals were a B+ day

The year after that, an F. We added no one.

Last year was an F

This year is a C to B- depending on the chemistry Arnott displays with his linemates and how much he's willing to put out in terms of effort.

Pretty much an avg report card for daresay, an average GM. I'm being nice.

Neither JA nor DW are big prizes. That's why (I can safely assume) there wasn't a big bidding war for their services. They're just scrap heap additions for the most part. I say this not to disparage Arnott's career because I have a lot of respect for what he accomplished starting with the Devils. But he's an old tired mule.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

See, all of the media has misinterpreted BB's comments. He said 2 "games" and everybody's reporting 2-3 "weeks".

Overall good day. Now we'll see. 20 games to gel before the 2nd season starts.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

NHL.com is reporting it is a 2012 2nd Round pick given to the Devils.

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 4:25 PM | Report abuse

It certainly could've been a worse day. We could still have Steckel and no 2C. LMAO!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Tim Leone
Bad news for Hershey: Beagle wasn't reassigned today and thus can't be included on clear day roster. Same with Sloan.

Looks like Beagle is here for the rest of the year. :) So is Sloan :(

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robostop10 | February 28, 2011 4:20 PM

Posted by: wocoliz | February 28, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@icehammer

If that is the case and they can't be sent back down than the salary cap situation is extremely dicey. Unless Fehr or Green is out till the playoffs on top of Poti.

Posted by: ThePat | February 28, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

You have to change out about 12 guys to change the real culture and work ethic of this team
-------------

absolutely not true in the Caps' case.

You could have traded out just 3-5 guys and significantly upgraded the culture and work ethic. And you didn't have to wait till 3 pm on Monday to do it either.

Even keeping Semin, you could have switched out Gordo, Chimera, Sarge for 2 energetic checking line players and a hardnosed defensive dman.

Then by also keeping Poti out of the lineup it would have made a big difference in team work ethic and intensity.

But you can't enter the playoffs with 4 or 5 players who aren't suited to play that type of hockey. Well you can, but it won't get you very far.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Beagle is here for the rest of the year. :) So is Sloan :(

Posted by: icehammer97

he should never have been sent down

but then what do i know. I'm not 'in the game' you see. Its not like Bruce made a mistake or anything and then was forced to reverse it..

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: robostop10 |

How about Rick Tochette

Posted by: heathdog1119 | February 28, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,
I agree or generally at least respect your take on things, but how can you possibly know that no one pursued Arnott. Given Arnottt went last minute I am willing to bet Lou was being courted by more than one team. Wideman- who knows? Everything else you said I think is right, but come on.

Posted by: CapsDK | February 28, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

For anyone thinking Dale Hunter is a viable candidate to coach here you may as well move on. Hunter is a part owner of the team he currently coaches in London. He is not going anywhere. You would have a better chance of seeing Pat Burns behind our bench and for the smart posters on here, yes I know about his health status.

Posted by: pebowers | February 28, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if you people realize this or not, but hockey is a TEAM sport. Not an individual one. It doesn't matter what Arnott's stats were in NJ. If you're Arnott parked in front of the net and your D turns the puck over at the blue line, breaks, and scores... yes, you'll get a - rating. But it certainly is not necessarily reflective of your own skill. A player's stats can be low because of poor coaching, bad rapport with linemates, poor goaltending, etc. The management of the Caps obviously feels like Arnott would be a good fit. They employ many scouts, they watch a lot of film... I think we should at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Of course, if Arnott gets a goal next week, you'll all run out to Kettler to get a jersey made.

Some of you mock GMGM for saying the defense is complete. So GMGM gets a defenseman for practically nothing. Then you mock GMGM for getting a defenseman instead of a C. So GMGM gets a C. So you mock GMGM for not doing God knows what else. Some people call this "greener grass syndrome" after the popular proverb.

Posted by: sabredc | February 28, 2011 4:32 PM | Report abuse

How about Rick Tochette

Posted by: heathdog1119

from what i know about those 2, McPhee and Tocchet hate each other. So that would never happen. McPhee didnt even look in Tocchet's direction to re-sign him as a FA when McPhee took over the team. They don't get along. Their on-ice feud never got settled off the ice. And neither one of them has anything nice to say about the other.

ftr, I loved what McPhee did to Tocchet on the ice. Kind of a David v Goliath scenario.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

icehammer: They might then go ahead and LTIR Green. Nobody in the league can dispute "Player put on LTIR for precautionary reasons, concussion related."

Steckel & Perreault - out; Green and Poti - LTIR (maybe Fehr too for another few days or a week); Sturm, Wideman and Arnott - in.

By my calculation, that is basically cap neutral. So we maintain the $675K underrun we have as of today. There are 42 days left in the season. Let's say Green is LTIR 23 days/10 games until Mar 22 vs Flyers. At that point, you can be $5.9M over the cap the remaining 20 days. Poti still on LTIR those last 20 days would fix it.

We would end the season six dollars and 47 cents under.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I think GMGM did this just about right: give up little, boost our odds of winning a round.

The Caps need to start winning at least one round every year. Young guys don't mature right emotionally if all their playoff experiences are losses.

Posted by: garbageout | February 28, 2011 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I guess it could happen if McPhee were fired, too.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 28, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

@Pat, if Green is really out the 3 weeks I saw earlier I think we can have our new guys cap hit get taken off while he is hurt (and Poti as well) so we won't be diging into our cap space we built up this year and could be ok cap wise. I am not an expect though. Where is Tom when we need him?

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:35 PM | Report abuse

I thought the clear day roster deadline was something like March 7. I could be wrong. I think they can be reassigned but ineligible for playoff rosters, like post 9/1 baseball transactions.

Posted by: pebowers | February 28, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Does this meam that we no longer have to hear the "Steckel hit Crosby on purpose" comments?

Posted by: Capitals8 | February 28, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,

Posted by: CapsDK |

I don't have to be sitting in a GM's chair to safely assume certain things.

David Steckel went last minute too. Think any other teams were pursuing him?

I'm not saying that zero other teams wanted Arnott. I just don't think he was a highly sought after player. He's no good on the 1st line for any team. He can't play the 3rd or 4th line roles. So unless a team like the Caps had a specific need for a 2nd line veteran center who may or may not have anything left to give, no one's really interested in a guy like that.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean that we no longer have to hear the "Steckel hit Crosby on purpose" comments?

Posted by: Capitals8 | February 28, 2011 4:36 PM | Report abuse

---------

i think he did what you would call, bare minimum. I don't think he did enough. If the goal this season is to simply provide a semi-respectable playoff effort, then maybe what happened today accomplished that. And saved McPhee's job for another year or whatever.

Was that the goal ?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

And as I write my last post Tom sees the signal in the sky!

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

1. I hope the Caps give Sturm-Arnott-Semin a try for a few games as the second line. No one can say for sure whether it will work, but it's worth a try given the absence of great alternatives.
2. The price for Arnott was higher than people here expected. I heard that Pittsburgh was in the bidding. I wonder if memories of losing Guerin to them caused GMGM to increase his bid.
3. The Green situation does not sound good. Would he be allowed to fly out west if he had a serious concussion problem?
4. I fully support GMGM's unwillingness to trade any of the 3 goalies or 3 top prospects. Not surprised that lots of teams kept asking about them (as reported).

Posted by: zmega | February 28, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

i thought maybe Tocchet could help "fix" the teams results.

Posted by: heathdog1119 | February 28, 2011 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Steckel was a bad contracts. Remaining bad contracts:

1) Chimera. OK, had to do it to move Clark.
2) Poti. Who put the gun to GM's head on that one?
3) Sloan - see Poti.
4) Nylander - only for a few more weeks.

Unfortunately, every time the population of bad contracts gets to two or three, he goes and adds in a new one.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

----------------

do i really need to bring up certain names we've acquired to disprove what you just said?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton.
Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere
Arnott: Deal did not go through until very close to end. There were other teams but Lamoriello thought this was best deal for Devils & Arnott

Sounds to me like he thinks there were other teams that wanted him.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Dennis...welcome to the Caps. I trust that you know how to clear the crease? How to play the body? Our D-corps does not, or, they have been told not to clear the crease. Our goalie has been given the responsibility to clear his own crease and try to push players away so they don't screen him. Dennis, listen..some teams even have two (2) guys in our crease, behind our defensemen. Can you help us? Can you teach our guys how to be physical?

Posted by: scmonty1 | February 28, 2011 4:44 PM | Report abuse

when you post something hockey-specific that leads me to believe you know anything more than being a rah rah pom pom waving cheerleader, I'll listen to your advice.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:10 PM |

----------

when you climb out of your hole of despair, MAYBE i'll read your posts

great day to be a caps fan, enjoy

Posted by: hessone | February 28, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@zmega

Crosby flew several times while waiting to even get back on the ice so I would say the answer is yes.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to include under "bad contracts" Aucoin and Collins the last two years, being paid NHL wages to toil at Hershey.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Steckel's gonna be a HOF'r now you watch!

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 28, 2011 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Far and away the biggest positive outcome from today: McPhee didn't give up too many assets in a season where we aren't close to being contenders. Not only do we stand little chance against at least a couple of EC teams, we would get eaten alive by whoever comes out of the West if by some huge miracle we got out of the East. The latter won't happen but it's just to make the point that probably the top 10 or 11 WC teams are as good or better than the Caps, certainly in a playoff environment. Before you look at the standing, realize that the WC teams mostly play WC teams and the entire WC has utterly dominated the East. A single WC team has a losing record againt the East and it's by a mere game. Meanwhile, among the bunch of EC teams with losing records against the West, the Caps are the worst of the worst. What a turnaournd from last season, no? Things change more rapidly than ever in the hard cap era, whether or not that is a factor in that sample size.

I don't mind losing the 2nd rd pick much. I think it's greatest value as an asset would've been in a future trade as opposed to the pick itself. McPhee has been one of the worst in the league at drafting in the 2nd rd and beyond. Let's wait to see Orlov play 3 or 4 NHL seasons before annointing him as the next Zubov or anything else.

And I would've rather traded Gordilocks than Steckel-cell anemia but other GMs aren't as dumb as McPhee so...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

GMGM is scheduled to talk about today's trades on 106.7 The Fan @ 5:45pm.

Posted by: nicety251 | February 28, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Was that the goal ?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:39 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

Yes. Winning a playoff round -- even one -- builds institutional knowledge of how to win in the playoffs.

Winning a cup this year fell off the list of goals months ago, sadly. These moves are aimed at the next few years. Learn to win in playoffs, then wait for Eakin, et al.

Posted by: garbageout | February 28, 2011 4:47 PM | Report abuse

given what we have to work with now, i'd hope they'd at least go with these lines.

Ovy-Backs-Knuble
Sturm-Arnott-Semin
Hendricks-MaJo-Beagle
Brads-Laich-Fehr

F Gordo. He's horrible and won't last thru the playoff season. Unless its a short 1st round.

What they should do is bring up Pinizzotto for the 4th line RW spot. Then at least you solidify your bottom 2 lines and pray for the 2nd line to develop chemistry and a work ethic.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao, except we could have both Steckel and B. Gordon gone by start of next season if we don't resign him. Steckel we would have been stuck with for two more years.

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:50 PM | Report abuse

------

Only if you provide conversation transcripts from locker room discussions or other off-ice interactions that would also contribute to someone being a bad choice. You can say someone like Scott Walker (example) was a bad choice because he didn't produce. But that is only a fraction of the puzzle. Are you privy to Walker's locker room conduct? Are you privy to conversations Walker had with other teammates or coaches? Unless you can provide those pieces of the puzzle, you can't say someone was a bad choice. You can say that they were nonproductive on the ice. But that's as far as you can go without all the facts. So go ahead, feel free to post names, but I want to see all your facts as to what makes an acquisition a bad one, besides just their goals scored.

Posted by: sabredc | February 28, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

lol @ the dude in the prev. thread boasting that "the Caps will make the playoffs!"

I don't think many have stated that they wouldn't. I certainly didn't.

And not only does that reflect a sad lowering of expectations of this team when somebody has to boast about that, but it also doesn't mean much in general.

16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs. That's more than half of the league. Really not much of an accomplishment in and of itself, esp. when you consider the hype around this team for the last few years.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2011 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garbageout

Agreed! We are not in the top 5 to win the SC this season...so why mortgage a very promising future? You sacrifice the future when you clearly have a shot at the cup...

That being said...these trades are good...we added some offense and defensive depth (no sloan please!)we still are in SC contention.

If Sturm adds some offense, Fehr comes back and plays like he was right before injury, Semin and Ovie continue to improve...D continues to play well...we have a pretty solid team! If not...well we have a bright future.

Posted by: capscoach | February 28, 2011 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:42 PM |

----------

no, instead

stop looking at all things capitals from a negative view point.

do yourself a favor, stop brushing folks off that you consider hockey illiterate, it's really making you come off as self-righteous.

Posted by: hessone | February 28, 2011 4:54 PM | Report abuse

KATIE:

If possible I'd like to request the following as a survey on CI:

A series of voting options featuring comparable notable trades. For example:

which trade for a F would we have most liked to have seen for caps:
1. Arnott $4.?MM as UFA for Steckel and 2nd rounder
2. Kovalev at $5MM as UFA for conditional 7th rounder
3. Fischer at $xxMM through '11-12 for etc etc
4. etc comparable trade

which trade for a D would we have most liked to have seen for caps:
1. Kaberle @ $4.5MM as UFA for (I don't remember)
2. McCabe @ $xxMM for (I don't remember)
3. Wideman @ 4.?MM through '11-12 for (was it a 3rd... I already forgot)
4. etc comparable trade

might be a bit trickey but i'd be interested in seeing how our actual trades fared vs comps/peers, accounting for term, cap hit, etc.

your thought/consideration is much appreciated

Posted by: PSD1 | February 28, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Don't read into +/- too much, probably the most overrated stat in hockey

Posted by: Witter | February 28, 2011 4:55 PM | Report abuse

All in all, we just bolstered playoff experience and attitude about winning when it counts. I do not think Sturm and Arnot will start adding points right out of the gate nor will Wideman increase our plus minus rating much of note but they add the little things about playoff hockey that we need. Last season was a perfect example of us not being able to adjust when Montreal changing their strategy.
Hopefully the new trio gives us that little extra push "to eleven" when needed.
Totally in agreement about GMGM just doing the bare minimum.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Opinion... Teams that haven't won the cup should make their trades for roster players in the off season and should be cautious at the trade deadline. Managers maintaining an already successful playoff club can be excused for making deadline deals to push them over the top each year.

The Caps this year aren't close to being one of the five best teams in the league. Anyone browsing Center Ice's selection of games each night will quickly recognize this very quickly. They don't have the offense this year. The bottom two lines rarely win the time of possession stat despite good faceoff numbers. There is little chemistry evident on the Caps lines, they change too frequently.

My gut says both of this years deadline moves will not sort out well. Arnott has not been a major factor in NJ's revival. Wideman can help the powerplay but I hoping, for the team's sake, he gets very little 5 on 5 icetime.

Trading a 2nd and 3rd for these players is a high price for a team that is building rather than maintaining a winning tradition. It would see that the Capitals have a lot of faith in the development of their current young players at the NHL level.

I'll add that Boudreau is reminding me of the years far too much. There is hardly a point in the players talking strategy with one another on the bench since they will likely have new linemates every other shift.

Posted by: born_rpm | February 28, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton.
Ledger_NJDevils Rich Chere

Sounds to me like he thinks there were other teams that wanted him.

Posted by: icehammer97

did other teams want Joe Corvo last yr? We paid a 2nd rounder (and prospect) for him. If no one wanted him, why didn't we just offer up a 5th or 6th? The Canes sure didn't need him at the end of the yr.

my point is, lets not pretend that Arnott was a huge prize at the deadline. Did other teams want him that much? How many teams are we talking about? I doubt any of the major players wanted Arnott. He's not the calibre of acquisition that a team seriously intent on the Cup goes after hard.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Alan May and Tarik are on Washington Post Live starting now on CSN.

Posted by: wocoliz | February 28, 2011 5:00 PM | Report abuse

stop looking at all things capitals from a negative view point.

Posted by: hessone

you made a lot more sense when you posted gibberish.

Want me to school you on this particular thread? Someone posted that we need to have faith in the Caps scouting staff because they apparently do everything right. My response was, do i really need to bring up examples of glaringly bad moves that our front office and crack scouting staff have made.

and your response is?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: garbageout | February 28, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

when you climb out of your hole of despair, MAYBE i'll read your posts

great day to be a caps fan, enjoy

Posted by: hessone

every year i get to read gems like this. And every yr after the predictable early postseason exits, dolts like you disappear only to reappear around deadline day to crow about the "great moves" the Caps have made.

so this year, stick around after the playoffs we can talk. ok?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

sabredc

I agree. When the GM does something positive to address the gaps people saw--second line center and defense--the nay sayers lose credibility if they keep up as if nothing happened. How many people wanted Arnott, in particular, in the last few weeks? Now suddenly he is not good enough according to some.

Maybe some people thought we needed different or more new players but come on! We all need a forum to vent and express our opinions but how seriously do we take ourselves? Does anyone really thinks that his/her suggestions hold THE answer for this team if only they were implemented?

I think they are both excellent trades and nothing but upgrade. The real question is whether BB has reached his limits and another coach is needed, or whether in the end (i.e playoffs) he will prove to be the right man for the job afterall.

Posted by: caraveli | February 28, 2011 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Relevant XKCD comic: http://xkcd.com/386/

Posted by: garbageout | February 28, 2011 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: tominsocal1 |

boy isn't that the truth.

Nylander, Pothier, Poti, you just keep waiting for these guys to die off and he keeps resurrecting duds.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: capscoach | February 28, 2011 4:53 PM

capscoach: If you listened to McPhee and Boudreau right after Montreal series, and all throughout the summer, we WERE the best team in hockey, at least top 3-4, if not for bad bounces, a hot goalie and getting stuck in MTL on the plane and getting home late.

To be lacking a clear shot at the Cup this year, as you allude (and maybe true), is a very significant drop from where our own management said we were 10-11 months ago.

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

cstanton,
Fair points but I think we can safely assume no one came looking for Steckel but that teams were looking at Arnott. Not trying to say you HAVE to be in the GM's office by any means. But I imagine that GMGM was in abidding war for one of the few veteran centerman around. Note: I am not quite willing to call Arnott a legit 2C but he is in DC.

Posted by: CapsDK | February 28, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Things change more rapidly than ever in the hard cap era...

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2011 4:47 PM

so it is possible the caps will improve by mid april

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Sturm-Arnott-Semin - line combo some of you have suggested.
But not so sure putting two new guys on the same line will be productive. That's a lot of work for Semin (who supposedly doesn't speak much English. LOL.

Posted by: instinct227 | February 28, 2011 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Gee, in 2009-10, everyone said Caps were best team in hockey (see: President's Cup).

Now it's good thing we didn't trade much since obviously we are still rebuilding.

Is there a contradiction in the elevator speech the Sunshine Kids are spouting now compared to last spring or is it my imagination?

Posted by: tominsocal1 | February 28, 2011 5:12 PM | Report abuse

be honest.

how many of you fans out here who love these 2 trades have watched Arnott and Wideman at least partially over the past season or season and a half?

I just want to know if you're basing your approval of these deals on what you've seen with your eyes. Or this is more of a faith-based decision?

I would love for McPhee to have acquired a player that I think is GREAT for this team. But until he does so, he's not giving his team enough of a boost to give them a realistic chance of beating the better playoff teams.

so while it may look like some of us don't like ANY moves he makes, the truth is we don't like because of WHO he brings in. Not WHO brings them in.

I was pretty happy when we got Matt Cooke. I was happy with the Knuble signing. I hated the Corvo trade. I thought Chimera was a poser. I didn't like the Belanger trade that much either mostly because of the wingers he would be playing with. And I didn't buy the "gritty two way center" moniker that all the TSN 'experts' laid on him. Hated the Pothier and Poti contracts. Hated the Gordo extension each year.

But if McPhee actually does make a good move, I'll give him credit for it. I have no reason to disparage him if he gets a player I truly think is a difference maker.

When Scott Walker got acquired last yr, my first comments were

1) He's way past his prime
2) He won't get much ice time to contribute any grittiness that he does have left in him

I saw it as a nothing trade whereas other people were all about how we needed grit and he provided us that element so it filled all our needs (a PK center in Belanger, an offensive dman in Corvo, and a gritty role player in Walker).

But the truth was, McPhee had another bad day at the deadline.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Here is a question for the Kool Aid and the Haterade crowds. BB has now been given some missing pieces, not perfect, but some pieces. Veterans to bolster the team in the locker room. If the team keeps losing does BB go? Not much time to fire him but remember NJ did that to a coach with a winning record a few years back. If BB has lost control of the team the new blod should side with him since they have no dog in the fight. No?

Posted by: CapsDK | February 28, 2011 5:15 PM | Report abuse

@garbageout,
Is your link directed at anyone in particular?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1: Agree with you about Tocchet.

Another reason he may not come here--even in a post GMGM era--is that Ted probably doesn't want a convicted felon running things behind the bench. Heh.

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 28, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

---------------

I agree with this 100%

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this where we were at least 2 yrs ago?

Have we now regressed to where the prize is only to get to round 2, if that?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posters on CI crack me up. You wanted the CAPS to play defensive hockey as they have proven for the last 3 years that run and gun doesn't work in the playoffs. They change to a defensive system and now everyone is pitching a fit about boring offensiveless hockey.

We needed a 2C and a depth defenseman. We got that without having to give up a whole lot of assets.

You complain that not the best 2c and not the best defenseman but what the heck did you expect not giving up a whole lot of assets.

People like CStanton will never be happy no matter what happens even if we hoist the cup they will find something to complain about so I for one give up.

Posted by: hart2014 | February 28, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Devils fans were happy with just getting Stecks, a 2nd rounder was gravy on top.

I'm gonna miss Stecks. To bad it couldn't have been Boyd Gordon.

Posted by: digster1013 | February 28, 2011 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@digster1013: Agree because, although Stecks may have been a "one trick pony" to some, he is also more durable than BGordo.

Good Luck Stecks--You will be missed, and we wish you well (except when we play the Devs, of course)

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 28, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

and your response is?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:01 PM |

------------

if you posted my entire post, the answer was NO.

but folks that like to spin often edit what other folks post.

no need to school this old dog

now back to your hole

Posted by: hessone | February 28, 2011 5:18 PM | Report abuse

and you cstanston are a cancer. If you were in a locker room you'd be the first to go. No one, and I mean no one would back you in a fight.

Posted by: nfb987 | February 28, 2011 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I would back cstanton in a fight, so you're wrong and everything you wrote thereafter has thus been discredited. Does the nfb part of your screename stand for no fking brains?

As for trading day, lots of things to ponder. We didn't subtract as many from the roster as I hoped we would. Still too much dead weight for my liking. (My biggest wish, ****55, is still here dammit!).

I can't complain about Arnott, as I mentioned him being a good fit back in the fall. Stecks really seemed to try to play more physical than normal this year, moreso than other players, but he too symbolized the large, meek, passive, gentlemanly nature of the team. Arnott is an upgrade over MP, but I'm not sure if Gordo is an upgrade over Stecks. Wish we could've got rid of #15, too.

Sturm and Wideman? If we were going to target ex-Bruins, why didn't we get in on the Stuart/Wheeler trade? I mean they took on Valabik, and we might've been able to dump ****55 on them. (I could see the B's touting ****55 as a Hal Gill clone, only for the fanbase to get disappointed.)

The good news today is that BB SAID DJK WAS ON THE ROSTER W/NO PLANS TO BE SENT TO HERSHEY. There will be lots of intense, tough, physical games between now and the end of the season and it would/will be comforting to have some muscle to back Johnny Rock Star up on occasion.

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 28, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hart2014

well, as long as I'm the poster child for the disgruntled Caps fan then I've made my point.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I recall GMGM making the comment that the trades he would make would have to involve real impact players. Maybe it was a smoke screen to get who he really wanted but I do not see any of the new trio being that so called impact player he refered to. GMGM just being GMGM I guess.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:13 PM

not i - but i wouldn't say, for me, 'love these 2 trades'
based on how bad (soft, slow, etc) the majority of the caps are by reading the expert opinions posted here - the team can only be better off than they were yesterday.
wideman > sloan and/or schultz
arnott > flash, MP and/or MJ
i now root for sturm, wideman and arnott to perform their best for the caps and wish steckel well in NJ.

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: CapsDK

look at it this way.

McPhee made some deals today that he can point to (or have his supporters point to) as evidence that he has helped his coach.

now if/when the Caps have a disappointing postseason, the burden is placed even heavier on Bruce's shoulders.

When the truth of it is, regardless of how good or bad a coach he is, the moves that McPhee made today were NOT enough to really help Bruce out.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:22 PM | Report abuse

You know what would help Bruce out? Coaching well enough to get production from his top players.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 28, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

not i - but i wouldn't say, for me, 'love these 2 trades'
wideman > sloan and/or schultz
arnott > flash, MP and/or MJ

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ

you know capn, you're really good at using our own opinions against us.

@hole! lol

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I thought DJK was put on waivers? All, please correct me with a link stating his status.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:20 PM |

--------

the problem here is that you've made your point over and over and over and...

dead horse dna doesn't even exist anymore, there's nothing left

Posted by: hessone | February 28, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Not to get ahead of this season and the playoffs (or lack of) but the pick-up of Wideman hurts Hannon chances of resigning with the Caps. Green, Poti, Carlson, Erskine, Schultz, Wideman and Sloan are signed thru next year. Alzner is a RFA. Granted, a D or 2 can be moved but for Hannon to stay, he would have to take a substantial pay cut. Bigger than it looked a month or 2 ago.

Posted by: puckman | February 28, 2011 5:26 PM | Report abuse

From Sky Kerstein via Twitter:

McPhee talked to Dale Hunter this morning about Wideman & Hunter said "he'll block a shot with his face if he has to, to win a game"

McPhee says on Arnott and Wideman expects they should be here tonight and practice tomorrow

McPhee says on Strum, Arnott and Wideman that they'll put them all in and try and integrate them as quickly as possible

Posted by: wocoliz | February 28, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

the team can only be better off than they were yesterday.
---------------------

and i'd agree that we're better. Anytime you get some fresh blood in and can jettison players like MP, you probably are better and will hopefully get a renewed enthusiastic effort out of the new guys who want to impress the fans and their teammates and play in a playoff race.

The disagreement here is, to what degree did they really improve and did the GM do right by his team by giving them enough weapons for a playoff push.

I don't think he did enough. As usual. He never does enough. He pulls up short. He waits till the last minute. He ends up having to get lesser players because of it. He's not a bidder for the better players either in FA or in trade talks. He's a bargain shopper who sometimes needs to be more aggressive in the market. And if his goal is to squeak by a team in the 1st round, then I'd argue we need someone else here to take us higher.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

great day to be a caps fan, enjoy
--------------------------------------------------------

Wait till they actually win a round in the playoffs without going full 7 games.

Posted by: joek443 | February 28, 2011 5:29 PM | Report abuse

--------

sure makes for some good newspaper quotes.

Wasn't DJK quoted as saying he'd love to get a chance to see Max Talbot at some point this season? how'd that turn out.

Wideman is not Ian LaPerriere. No matter how McPhee and his cronies want to spin it.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:29 PM

So you would have been ok losing Varly, Neuvy, or Holtby, Orlov, Eakin...for what exactly?????

Posted by: hart2014 | February 28, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

BernieWolfeFan, he cleared waivers at noon today, but he has not been assigned to Hershey. Boudreau said this afternoon that there were no plans to do so, but that was before the Arnott trade broke.

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 28, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:22 PM |

-----------

since the games haven't been played yet, your comments have no merit.

for now, save your wacko, chrystal-ball, rear-view mirror analysis for after the playoffs, win or lose.

Posted by: hessone | February 28, 2011 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 5:25 PM | Report abuse

He was, he cleared, and he's in Hershey.

Posted by: ModestProposal | February 28, 2011 5:34 PM | Report abuse

you know capn, you're really good at using our own opinions against us.

@hole! lol

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:25 PM

since i don't watch a 1000 hours of hockey a week - i have to rely on something to form my opinion - and you (and yours) get to be it this time.
and it's not so much against you as it is giving you a glimpse through my rose colored glasses, whilst sipping my kool-aid - :)

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Haven't heard that he's in Hershey. Here's Katie from the 1:27 CI post:

"-- Winger D.J. King cleared waivers and will remain on the Capitals' roster. Boudreau said there is no plan to send him to Hershey."

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 28, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

@JohninMpls,
Ok, thanks. I guess GMGM thought if we drop down far enough to end up playing Philly, we could use him.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I guess that's the DJ King version of remaining on the roster, right?

Posted by: JohninMpls | February 28, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Report out of New York today -

Marty Biron breaks collarbone in practice today.

The Rangers recalled Cam Talbot from the ECHL to serve as Lundqvist's backup. Rags better hope that Lundqvist stays healthy.

Posted by: puckman | February 28, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Everyone wanted a 2nd line center and we got the best center that was shopped today, I am not saying he is great, but he is a definite upgrade to the roster

Posted by: tador88 | February 28, 2011 5:40 PM | Report abuse

@JohninMpls,
lol...

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: icehammer97 | February 28, 2011 4:50 PM

Good point.

On another note, I didn't see anything special with the Sturm pickup either but in a best-case scenario, if he can stay healthy and Fehr can make it back, maybe he can displace Chimera in the lineup. We'd have Ovi, Sturm, Laich and perhaps Hendricks or somebody else on the left side. Not sure if Hendricks has played any LW but he has to be in the lineup. We also have Beags who I think deserves a roster spot if one is available.

So, we'd have the following wings if everyone is healthy:

Ovi
Sturm
Laich
Knuble
Semin
Fehr
Bradley
Hendricks or Gordon (one is a C)
Beagle (if there is roster space for him at this point)
Chimera

That wasn't any specific ordering other than Chimera being at the bottom of the list. If Sturm can play well enough to knock Chimera out of the lineup, I'd say that was a small success for McPhee.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2011 5:44 PM | Report abuse

great day to be a caps fan, enjoy
--------------------------------------------------------

Wait till they actually win a round in the playoffs without going full 7 games.

Posted by: joek443

you'd think the way some fans support McPhee that he's given us 2 Cups and numerous playoff runs. In reality this team is at best, stagnating.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:29 PM

now you've changed the question and i don't have enough knowledge to adequately answer - but you did for me - so thanks

I don't think he did enough.
- i've seen this
He pulls up short.
- ok
He waits till the last minute.
- 3 out of the last 4 years
He ends up having to get lesser players because of it.
- without knowing what he has really tried for - i'm on the fence for this one
He's not a bidder for the better players either in FA or in trade talks.
- after nyls (and possibly a mandate from ted) - i can see why
He's a bargain shopper who sometimes needs to be more aggressive in the market.
- again, if there is some kind of mandate from ted - his sack may have shriveled some in this area

Posted by: Capt_Kirk_in_AZ | February 28, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone |

right. Because it takes real vision to call it AFTER the fact.

If that was the case, even a pud like you could be GM.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Have we now regressed to where the prize is only to get to round 2, if that?

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:17 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton1

You're 100% correct, and I find it discouraging too.

I think Teddy and GMGM were betting that an offense-only team could win in the New NHL. So they built one ... yadda yadda yadda ... turns out that the New NHL is a lot like the Old NHL when we get to playoff time.

The good news is that the Caps now seem to have a serious pipeline of prospects. The bad news is that nobody in the entire organization knows how to win a playoff series. Fedorov did; maybe they can get him on speaker-phone during intermissions.

Posted by: garbageout | February 28, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I think it is important to maintain perspective here. GMGM could have brought in all the grit and great defenders in the world and this team would still not be a strong Cup contender this year, given that all of its best players are having a bad year. Maybe what GMGM did will be enough for the team to win one playoff series or, if it matches up with Philly or Boston, give those team's a decent fight. Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing how the team looks Tuesday, especially to see how the new acquisitions fit in. Given the team's performance this year, I'm OK with the acquisitions at this point.

Posted by: zmega | February 28, 2011 5:52 PM | Report abuse

-------garbage--

that is exactly right. A gross miscalcuation that in many ways has caused us to go offtrack on our rebuild plan. Esp compared to teams who started their rebuild around the same time or after. Two of those teams have already won Cup. At least one other has already made it to the Finals. And a few more have had better playoff successes.

read your comments too Kirk. Makes sense. Although a GM with a shriveled up nutsack isn't high on my list of things I want to hold onto :)

cheers

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 28, 2011 5:58 PM | Report abuse

These moves are aimed at the next few years.

Posted by: garbageout | February 28, 2011 4:47 PM

How so?

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2011 6:24 PM | Report abuse

McPhee on On the Fly now talking about he didn't want term on contracts, i.e., this is all about the short term, not the future.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2011 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vermontcaps | February 28, 2011 5:19 PM

Bingo.

For those that think I'm just a cstanton clone/follower, Steckel is a guy that we've never seen eye to eye on, other than maybe recently.

I was never a fan of Steckel, spec. on a roster with this makeup. Good locker room guy, obviously a faceoff maestro (though I think faceoff skills are vastly overrated), but way too soft for his size and not good enough in his role outside of the faceoff circle.

He had the body for the role but not the mind or the heart. Somebody queue the clip where he skated up to Buff only to be shoved away with one hand before he fearfully turned his head down and skated away.

Perhaps on a well-balanced roster, he could be more useful but when was the last time there was a well-balanced roster in the McPhee era?

Thought so.

Posted by: tmac2yao | February 28, 2011 6:30 PM | Report abuse

@tmac2yao,
Agreed, I think that was all GMGM was trying to accomplish with the trades. All his talk about an impact player being the only aquisition he would make was just that, talk. Sure, the team is not that much better then yesterday but is abit more rounded. Hope that is the formula we need to go deeper then rnd 1. We can only hope. That too and unlike last season, we will not be looking beyond rnd 1 and play each shift accordingly. Again, we can only hope. Geez, I really hate sounding like a broken record.

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Thoughts on the press GMGM press conf?

Posted by: BernieWolfeFan | February 28, 2011 6:51 PM | Report abuse

We submitted a request for a mortgage quote and received 3 great offers at "123 Mortgage Refinance". Thank you for helping us lower our house payment with 3.14% mortgage refinance rate. Highly recommend and best place for mortgage refinance.

Posted by: nancydavis573 | March 1, 2011 2:59 AM | Report abuse

Why do the posters on WP indulge this self-important blathering dolt "Cstanton"?...who gives a rat's a## about his "im sure" and "i doubt" etc comments about what interest there was in Arnott from other teams. He is nothing more than someone who enjoys the sound of his own voice, or in the this case, the sound of his own keyboard. Stop indulging him with dialogue about his OPINIONS. He knows no more about what went on behind the scenes with regards to trades/deals than squirrel Im looking at outside my window as I write this...in fact Ill take the squirrel's opinion over Stanton's as I can see that the squirrel has at least found a nut, while Stanton seems to simply be one....

Posted by: opticlguy | March 1, 2011 8:16 AM | Report abuse

Fanspeak.com: Washington Capitals Improve Team For Deep Playoff Run
Every so-called expert, me included has been blistering the Capitals this season for their lack of scoring, their apparent lack of leadership, and their struggling power play.
The Capitals were not bad hockey team headed into yesterday morning. The Caps are just not last year’s scoring machine and if we learned anything about last season, it is that Washington was only about scoring. They were actually better suited for the NHL playoffs as they stood yesterday morning than they were when last season concluded.
Check out the rest of Alan’s in-depth article and analysis at: http://fanspeak.com/zsports/2011/03/01/washington-capitals-improve-team-for-deep-playoff-run/ (and join Fanspeak.com!)

Posted by: bmurph24 | March 1, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse