Did Alfredsson Aim For Niedermayer?

It sure looks like he did. And if the NHL can prove it (the video appears to show him change body position as he winds up) expect the Ottawa captain to face a suspension. There's no room in the game for that.

Decide for yourself:

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  June 5, 2007; 8:39 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cherry Tells It Like It Is
Next: Boudreau: 'We were horrible'

Comments

That's certainly out of character for Alfredsson, or at least, I would have thought so. But after seeing it a few times, you can't deny that he re-positioned his body and directed the shot towards Niedermayer. If Pronger was suspended for an elbow while in the act of making a play, how can the NHL not suspend Alfredsson for something like that? I'm sure that some will say that there's no way of knowing if it was intentional, but why else would he position his body to shoot in that direction? You don't score goals by shooting the puck into the corner.

Posted by: Blueline | June 5, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Alfredsson is too talented to have shot the puck at Niedermayer by accident. No question he meant to hurt Niedermayer. But intend is hard to prove. I would fine him the max amount under CBA and suspend him a game, and since Niedermayer was not hurt, and the Sens are on the brink of losing I don't think Alfredsson will get suspended by the NHL.

Posted by: Genotype 55` | June 5, 2007 9:18 AM | Report abuse

totally intentional, but hard to tell from that youtube video. It would seem more realistic if he had aimed at the goal, but he didn't. Completely out of character. I have to say, I lost some respect for the guy.

I'll be a little surprised if he gets a suspension though -- mostly because he doesn't have the reputation of being the type of player to do something like that.

Posted by: jess | June 5, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

No he wasn't aiming at the goal. He was aiming for the corner.

But was Neidermayer in the way accidently-on-purpose?

Alfie couldn't go to his left from his position, and wanted to ice the game. Scott was back covering on the opposite side.

I don't know. I'd like to think that Alfredsson isn't that kind of player and just wanted to kill the period (the Sens were taking a lot of pressure at the end of a shift), and didn't reallize that Neidermayer had gotten back, miss hit it and hit him, or just plain didn't see him because he was so focused on getting out of the zone and around the defender in front of him.

Posted by: Kim | June 5, 2007 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Couldn't have been clearer. They've gotta suspend him. It's sad -- and a no-brainer.

Posted by: TLGDC | June 5, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

There was no point for him to aim at the corner. With 4 seconds left you take a shot at the goal. You don't intentionally NOT take a shot at the goal. He totally aimed for Neidermeyer. No doubt about it. Give him at least a game, if not 3. To me, that is worse than an elbow in the act of making a play like Pronger did.

Posted by: Brandon | June 5, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Oh yessirree he certainly did aim at him.

Posted by: On Ice | June 5, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I've really enjoyed watching Alfredsson play throughout these playoffs. He's seemed like a great guy and an exciting player, and I really don't want to believe that he would do something like that. I didn't think he was that kind of player.I sincerly hope he wasn't trying to hit Neidermeyer, because that's just classless, not to mention dangerous.

But from watching that video, the way he fakes the shot and repositions, it really looks like he meant to hit him, and as much as I like him and want the Sens to win, I think the NHL's gotta suspend him. I think he's lucky the Refs didn't hit him with a match penalty for attempt to injure. If I'm Colin Campbell, I'm giving him at least 5 games. There's absolutly no excuse for that kind of behaivior and he could have seriously hurt Scotty.

Posted by: Murshawursha | June 5, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Is there anything in the rules preventing a player attempting to dump the puck and hitting a player in the way? I can't see what the fuss is about.

Posted by: Cj | June 5, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

The Alf-alpha-ghetti gobbler of the frozen tundra of the scandanavian summers, met in the neutral waters (be they frozen) of Scotiabank Place. There... what were we talking about?

Posted by: Peerless Prognosticator | June 5, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Alfredsson did aim at S. Niedermayer.... you can tell by how he positioned himself towards Scotty...That says suspension written all over it. Not only that, but he just gave the Ducks motivation for Game 5. And this maybe a far cry but this could be smelling like Colorado at Detroit of 1997

Posted by: Jleftwing97 | June 5, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

He probably did, and Bettman was probably horrified at the melee that came after it.

And yet the crowd loved it, and it pumped the ducks up for the third period.

If they suspend Alfredsson it will be a shame, because you know that game 5 in anaheim, in the third when the Ducks have already unofficially clinched the cup they will want a piece of Alfie. And that would be amazing to watch.

Posted by: Graham | June 5, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Even if it was intentional (and I don't think the replays are even close to conclusive one way or the other), I can't believe people think this is worse than what Pronger did to Holmstrom _and_ McAmmond.

There's no question that it's irresponsible and dangerous to shoot the puck at someone, but to say that it's worse than intentionally hitting someone in the head with your elbow or crosschecking them in the neck face-first into the glass is just insane.

It doesn't matter though - Bettman is going to have Alfredsson suspended to even things out, no matter what.

Posted by: zamboni | June 5, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Frustration got the better of him. Too bad. Bye bye.

Posted by: Thats why I said "hey man nice shot" | June 5, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I assume many in here actually play the game. OK, maybe I don't. Alfredsson was wide open and not overly rushed. Those that play at pretty high levels where skaters are fairly talented know how easy it is to shoot the puck into the corner.

Pretty bush league, but I'm getting used to seeing him do this stuff.

Remember, he escaped a penalty and suspension in an earlier series when he drove a player headfirst in the boards from behind. He leads a charmed life and gives the "What? Me? look. Bet if someone fought back in earnest, he'd have had his butt whipped.

Posted by: skater | June 5, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Pretty bush league, but I'm getting used to seeing him do this stuff.

Posted by: skater | June 5, 2007 4:05 PM | Report abuse

He should be suspended for at least one game after that display. Pathetic and a cheap shot move. Rules can't be for one guy like Pronger and not for Alfredson.
He's no better than the other goons after a move like that. Maybe he and Chris Simon can write a book on stupid things to do in a hockey game.

Posted by: kenhockey | June 5, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

I hope theres no suspension

Posted by: Graham | June 5, 2007 10:36 PM | Report abuse

If you suspend Pronger for his actions....Alfredsson should have been arrested!

Posted by: caphcky | June 6, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

In my humble opinion, it was intentional. I think so because:

1. He had LOTS of time. No one was around him, he double-clutched, and had lots of room.

2. He's way too talented to "accidentally" hit a player right in the midsection from 50 feet. This is a guy that can pick out corners and put the puck wherever he wants. How could anyone believe the puck didn't go exactly where he intended? Unless he was aiming at Scott's head.

3. The period was over. He could've just eaten the puck and waited for the buzzer.

Posted by: Smittee | June 7, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse