Posted at 2:02 PM ET, 02/24/2011

Caps prospect Dmitri Orlov impresses fellow defensemen at practice

By Greg Schimmel

Dmitri Orlov practiced with the Caps on Thursday only because visa issues prohibited him from traveling to Toronto with Hershey, but his presence at Kettler Capitals Iceplex gave the coaching staff an up-close midseason glimpse of the young defensive prospect.

Orlov, a standout on Russia's gold medal-winning team at the World Junior Championships last month, signed a professional tryout contract with the Bears on Tuesday.

A player cannot play in an NHL game under a professional tryout contract, but Coach Bruce Boudreau said he suggested inviting Orlov to Caps practice rather than force the 19-year old to stay by himself in Hershey while the Bears travel.

"He's here because he didn't have a visa to play in Canada. When they went on the trip I just phoned up and said, 'Why don't we let him practice with us?'" Boudreau said. "I could just picture him with nobody speaking Russian in Hershey in a hotel room. He might be losing his marbles. We have a few guys here who can do that - at least converse with him - and then if he gets a chance to see our game Friday night before he goes back, I think it's a great motivator for him to be here."

Orlov wore a Bears helmet with No. 27 on it and participated in the entire practice Thursday.

One workout is obviously a small sample, but Orlov - who was not made available for comment after the session - seemed to make a positive first impression with the big club.

"He looked good. His hands are definitely really good, and he's definitely a really skilled defenseman," fellow blue-liner Karl Alzner said. "I know the organization likes to see that."

John Carlson, who said he got to know Orlov a little bit during training camp, also liked what he saw.

"He's a great player. He's very skilled and he's a bull out there on the ice," Carlson said. "I wish him all the best and I hope he's going to be here too."

By Greg Schimmel  | February 24, 2011; 2:02 PM ET
Categories:  Dmitri Orlov, Prospects
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals' Nicklas Backstrom, Mike Green expected to play against Rangers
Next: Caps still silent as trade deadline approaches

Comments

this org likes skilled dmen? who knew

now lets hope he really is a bull out there. We don't need no mo sheep on the ice!

baaa baaa Schultzie have you any wool

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Flyers interested in Adam Foote?

Posted by: Jordan_Kitts | February 24, 2011 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Maybe Ovi will show him the town tonight.

Posted by: FloridaCapsFan | February 24, 2011 2:20 PM | Report abuse

@stanton...here is that lamb Schultz (27 sec mark) after Green takes a puck in the head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOTYg0K4WrM

Posted by: boomer44 | February 24, 2011 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Rivet has enough left in him for another chance at a deep playoff run. 1.75 off re-entry isn't too bad, but I have no idea how far he has digressed.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I also just read that Mikko Koivu will now be back in mid March, would the Wild take Semin for Koivu???

Posted by: PhilR |

Oh man, that trade would be amazing, but I think it's as much a pipe dream as Statsny. I love the Koivus, great two-way centerman with lots of intangibles normally found within our N. American brethren.

That would also tie up a ridiculous amount of money for a ridiculous amount of years in 3 players. A little scary.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 2:37 PM | Report abuse

good to see him finally take down Kunitz. Kunitz runs Sarge any chance he gets.

good catch boomer. Now show me a few other instances like this and I'll be more of a fan.

I bet I can find examples of him standing around or lookin like a scared doe in the headlights :)

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Orpik is hurt...Penguins fans everywhere are getting ready for the Pirates season to start.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 24, 2011 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: richmondphil2 |

i posted my opinion of Rivet before he even got released. There was some rumor involving him and I said hell no.

Not that I have anything in general against Rivet. I think over the past 15+ yrs he's been one of the league's most underrated players and was overshadowed by Montreal's other dmen.

but he's got nothing left. He's got about as much left as does Adam Foote. Both players were true warriors in their prime though.

But i'd take him over Poti if thats what youre thinking. He's a 6th dman at best.

Posted by: cstanton1 | February 24, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Any word lately on Crosby...I heard announcers say he was in the press box when we played them...thats gotta be better than Canada.

Maybe they are just resting him :)

Posted by: capscoach | February 24, 2011 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has Rivet being claimed by San Jose once put on re-entry waivers.

Posted by: jwash4472 | February 24, 2011 2:46 PM | Report abuse

He's got a concussion, if he does return this year, it's going to be in March or later. Could be until next October.

Nothing can be said until he is cleared to skate.

Posted by: richmondphil2 | February 24, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Put Poti's soft @$$ on LTIR before the trade deadline so we can know where we stand financially and who we can get. Actually, do it TODAY!

Posted by: TimeForACup | February 24, 2011 2:47 PM | Report abuse

MoJo split time on the top line today, was it wing or center? Is it possible they are moving Knubs as part of a package to bring in a 2C?Getting Marcus a little look at right wing before Fridays game.

Posted by: MinorTthreat | February 24, 2011 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Caps Russian players would try to get management to claim Zherdev. I can't see what we would need with another Russian RW with questionable heart. He does have talent when he tries to play. His cap hit isn't much at all (pro-rated 2M).

Posted by: chriscaps | February 24, 2011 2:53 PM | Report abuse

How would you feel about Marty Reasoner or Antropov??? Because I am getting the disgusting feeling that we will end up with one of them and I think they both stink and I would rather have Matty P keep playing and you know how much I dont like him.

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 2:13 PM

@ThePat

Agree with you about Antropov.

I don't really know enough about Reasonerto form an opinion, except that our track record acquiring players who've been a thorn in our side is pretty dismal results-wise (e.g. the Jagr Debacle). Too bad more such acquisitions didn't work out like Robert Lang did: Great attitude, great hands, solid work ethic...only downside was that he ended up a casualty of the Great Pre-Lockout Fire Sale of '04.

OTOH, it would almost be worth acquiring Antropov just to see Craig Laughlin's reactions: Locker seems to have harbored a mid-level man-crush on "Big Nik" for several years. If Antropov ever donned a Caps sweater, Locker might just start squealing like a little girl at a Justin Bieber concert...

I kid, of course--I thoroughly enjoy Locker's work because he's almost like a hockey version of Yogi Berra or Casey Stengel :)

Posted by: Rhino40 | February 24, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Love Koivu also.

But don't see the Wild making that swap.

I'm also a huge Clutterbuck fan! Wild have some good players but they don't have a pure goal scorer. If they still had Gaborik they would be real good.

Posted by: digster1013 | February 24, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@ MinorTthreat

No way Knuble is being moved. He's our one experience guy but has little trade value to any other teams. He plays on our first line by default but he's only a third-line winger in the NHL now, I believe.

Posted by: TimeForACup | February 24, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

@PhilR

Posted by: ThePat | February 24, 2011 2:13 PM | Report abuse
------------------------------------------
I don't think either of those will be here. Think bigger. Go west young lad! :)

Posted by: pokerface1208 | February 24, 2011 3:01 PM | Report abuse

poke,

I don't know how much of your stuff you just make up to tweek us, but you're like the Santa Claus of CI. Possibilities abound!

Keep it up.

Posted by: stevie_in_gp | February 24, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

@cstanton...you are right, even though I appreciate him better than others, there are not many clips with him being that physical and too mnay of him reacting slowly...if only he could get a little mean streak he would be a formidible force

Posted by: boomer44 | February 24, 2011 3:44 PM | Report abuse

baaa baaa Schultzie have you any wool

that is absolutely hilarious - i had to sign in to this place with a dumb "i can't remember my login info" account just to say that!

this will be great playoff - i can feel it in my stella-soaked bones!!!!

Posted by: 7734yeah1 | February 24, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Boomer 44: Where is your problem with Schultz after Green took the puck to the head? Schultz stays with his man and cleans him out in front of the net. You Schultz-haters need to learn something about what defensemen do. One of your elder relatives probably was among those who booed Larry Murphy out of town and onto the Stanley Cup. You wouldn't appreciate good defensive zone hockey if it was staring you in the face. Take your ignorance to some other team.

Posted by: JoeTink | February 24, 2011 8:37 PM | Report abuse

@JoeTink you're crazy, Schultz is a decent positional d-man but hes never cleared out a player in front of the net...considering his size its a joke how soft of a player he is...go back and watch the pens game, after the play Rupp is shouting at Neuvy in front and Schultz just stands there and does nothing, it was pathetic

Posted by: capinsider | February 24, 2011 9:40 PM | Report abuse

capsinsider: Just look at Boomer44's YouTube and tell me where Schultz looked passive. I know you WANT him to look passive so you can keep your mind shut. He clears out Kunitz who tried to flail at the puck in front of Neuvy-- knocked Kunitz right on his Keester. You Schultz-haters have to reinvent the video right before your eyes. Must be Tea Party folk who just create the reality that suits you. Root for some other team. I've been here watching this club for 36 years so I stake my claim. Go dream up reality elsewhere.

Posted by: jtinky | February 25, 2011 12:58 AM | Report abuse

The more I read cstanton's stuff, the more I think he's got a omnipresent bo ner for guys "bumping" each other to ONJ's "Let's Get Physical" in the wrong way.

21st century & the bump & grind stuff is for knuckle dragging - quickie - one & done types.

Posted by: Rocc00 | February 25, 2011 1:17 AM | Report abuse

@JoeTink...I was being sarcastic, I posted the video for all the Schultz naysayers...I wish he was more physical, but he also does a lot positionally and with his stick to block shots that goes unnoticed by our limited hockey sense fan base, so i am in agreement with you, I like Scultz and would like to see him elevate his game to be a top 4 d man

Posted by: boomer44 | February 25, 2011 10:29 AM | Report abuse