Done Deal: Caps Confirm Knuble Contract

I've just been informed that the paperwork is complete and that Mike Knuble is officially a Washington Capital. GM George McPhee is set to speak to reporters around 4 p.m. and I'm also hoping to hear from Knuble himself. So check back later for everyone's thoughts on the move.

My initial reaction is that Knuble, who turns 37 on Saturday, is exactly the player the Caps needed to land. They've got enough fancy passers and guys with pretty shots. Knuble is a big, gritty, reliable winger who will park himself in front of the net and bang in some of the rebounds off those pretty shots.

It also seems to be a reasonable deal, considering he made $2.8 million last season in Philly.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  July 1, 2009; 3:26 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Sign Knuble, Brashear Bolts to Big Apple
Next: Are Caps Done?

Comments

When GMGM said we were good on defense, he obviously meant in depth. Go read it again. Context, people. He was clearly talking about depth.

Tout for that invisible d man all you want, but if anyone signs it is going to be cheaper guys like Zanon.

We don't really have the space to pick up another free agent, unless we move some contracts. and That is why I am relying on Carlson to step up and be that crease-clearing hitter we need.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:31 PM |

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

One of 3 holes filled, now for the 2nd center and tough defenseman.

Posted by: RichC3 | July 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: cowgirl4ever | July 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Boucher to Philly?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

great addition

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 1, 2009 3:36 PM | Report abuse

He may be turning 37, but Knuble has stayed healthy for the past 3 years. I wish it was for one year, but he's the kind of player we need. I'll take it.

Posted by: SombreroGuy | July 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I like this move, I would also like to see chris neil come to town

Posted by: t-bone67 | July 1, 2009 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Don't see a lot of the whiners out today. Read the plan you guys...REASONABLE money and length of contract. People who want big splashes go root for someone else. Intelligent moves to follow the plan are what I want. This is a great signing if he puts up anywhere close to the numbers he did last year and gives us that grit and net presence.

Sad to see Brash go on the emotional side but for the money and hockey side it's no big deal. I don't expect any other moves to be honest, we have the depth at D to improve internally and a true 2nd line center is something we can look for in house or add at the trading deadline.

Great signing GMGM.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

my roommate from philly is PISSED! hahahaha

Posted by: my92agsr | July 1, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Love It! Keep rollin GMGM.

Posted by: ridgely1 | July 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Boucher to Philly - ha ha ha ha ha ha. Flyers suck...good luck keeping pucks out of the net with gerber and boucher...ha ha ha ha

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 1, 2009 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 1, 2009 3:44 PM |

I don't get it. I think Emery is a great goaltender, but that Swedish guy, Gerber, Boucher, etc...

What, are they trying to gather the most extensive group of backup goalies as possible?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I'll miss Brash and wish he could have finished his career with the Caps, but that is nostalgia speaking. He was a great locker room "big brother" and is a sweet guy. Hopefully, if he 'takes out' any Caps next year it is for a beer after the game.

I am excited about the Knuble signing though - good skills at the net for a reasonable price!

Posted by: pstenigma | July 1, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

So we can laugh at them Phil.

The Pens were looking at Knuble as a possible replacement for Fedotenko if he leaves too. Couple Flyers fans I know are POed hahaha.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

with flash and semin on the second line we dont need a playmaking/creative center brooksie/steckle just need to win faceoffs and get dirty there is enough creativity there espically as much as semin loves to have the puck, as for the D Juice really came into his own throwing his weight around in the playoffs, showing chara-esq potential

Posted by: t-bone67 | July 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

"Depth" or not, McPhee said "on defense we're fine." If we keep the same defensemen we have with no changes the same thing will happen again next playoffs.

We are not fine...at least not with keeping people like Cindy Crosby from camping in front of our net like he did in the playoff series. We need a stay at home tough veteran defenseman, period.

Posted by: EricinMD | July 1, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Spacek for way too much to the Habs?

Hah.

@Eric

Why does it have to be a veteran?

Um..all we need is someone who clears the crease. It does not have to be this invisible Scott Stevens all you guys seem to want.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@Richmond

Who cares - let collect as many crappy goaltenders as possible. They all suck! Flyers Suck!

Posted by: lylewimbledon | July 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

ErininMD:

Relax - this team easily makes the playoffs and we get what we need at the trade deadline...

people need to chill - This team is a good team...

Posted by: NJNJ | July 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Great Move. At this point we don't need to add much more. Now if we can Ship out Theodore or Nylander that could open up some more room. But at this point I don't see us doing much more.

Posted by: lightshow | July 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

meant ericinMD

Posted by: NJNJ | July 1, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Phil...why can't Alzner or Carlson step in and see their level of play rise up to the challenge? Whether it's some veteran we sign or someone stepping up from within the result is the same, a change at the backline.

Juice really stepped it up towards the end of the year and the playoffs, and before Erskine broke his foot he was throwing the body with abandon. I don't know if Mo will still be here but his physical play in the playoffs also ticked up a notch as guys like cstanton has pointed out over and over.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

with the habs signing spacek it looks like komo is not going to be resigned by them

Posted by: _stevo | July 1, 2009 3:58 PM | Report abuse

The same thing that happened last time? Are our defense planning on breaking their feet again, get mono, and dislocate their shoulders? Talk about being consistent. *rolls eyes*

I'm bettin' Woods will have a significant impact on the defense and how they play next season. Looking forward to it....

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Sloan, although isnt ready to be a full-time NHL'r also had no problem throwing his weight around while he was up here. (Anyone remember that bone cruncher on, I think Lombardi?)

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

khabibulin to edmonton no trading theo

Posted by: gocaps01 | July 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 1, 2009 4:00 PM |

Me too. Change the system a bit more, make the guys a bit more responsible for their mistakes. Make Alzner and Carlson REALLY work for their spots too.

I think we are fine. Of course, we can always get better, but given our constraints we are good.

I don't see any free agents getting signed, unless we make a trade.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik- Alot of second rate goaltenders moving around are their what are the $$$$ in comparasion to JT, is the market making him look marketable?

Posted by: t-bone67 | July 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Smart Sign by GMGM! I like this move. He is the gritty winger we needed. I think if we can make 1 or 2 more "small" moves we are set whether thats via trade or FA.

Posted by: DCSportsFan28 | July 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to trade Theo to open up cap space....you can waive him in October to get under the cap if we want to go out and sign someone else.

Posted by: ThePat | July 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

It was Tanguay that Sloan destroyed.

Posted by: thiazzi | July 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

@ThePat

Thats if the Caps are fine with paying someone close to 5 million dollars in the AHL.

Of course, if a team picks him up, its a win/win. The other team gets Theo at half his hit, and we lose the hit.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Khabibulin to Edmonton...guess we are stuck with Theo

Posted by: opus1m | July 1, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Sloan and a couple of the other "fill ins" from Hershey were more than capable when they were brought up. In fact I believe the team played better D when they were in the lineup than when they were replaced with guys off the injured list.

Posted by: bundy44 | July 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Knuble said he choose DC over Pittsburgh, because he would rather play with Ovie, then listen to Crosby cry all day long.

He also said Mellon Arena was a dump.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Are the 'Hawks really going to ride Huet in net? Hmmm. What is Bulin's cap hit and for how long?

Posted by: saintex | July 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

dammit..too slow...lol

Posted by: opus1m | July 1, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

WOW - reports are that Khabi signed for Theo money...newest best value trade of the day right there.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: saintex | July 1, 2009 4:07 PM |

It is one or the other. They are going to have a mess next year, especially with Hossa signing.

They will either ruin the system, and sign Toews, Keith and Kane or not be able to sign Kane.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

@richmondphil

I know that. I am just making the point that he doesn't have to be traded to open up the space. I know it would be on Ted to make that decision.

Posted by: ThePat | July 1, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

4 years 15 mill according to Darren Dreger

Posted by: ThePat | July 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Leave Theo here...need that veteran presence to help out Varly. Theo comes off the books at end of the year anyways. We've left enough room to see where some of our guys end up if they file for arbitration (Mo comes to mind) and GMGM will probably base his thinking on the results of what happens with those guys. A 2nd line center is something we can look to add at the deadline if need be.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Cole resigned.

Good work by the Carolina front office to keep him. He seems to only be effective in Carolina anyway.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Bulin was up at $6.9m last season so I'll guess he'll get about that from Edmonton. If I were me, I would have sent them Theo for $4m, let them keep the extra $3m and probably been about as good.

Posted by: saintex | July 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Don't forget Seabrook Phil. A lot of rumblings are saying Chi will look to move Campbell at some point going forward.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I am fine with leaving Theo here as well, but the thought of signing BJ to be the backup and mentor to Varly is just a fun thing to think about. We gain about 3.5 million in space.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

As a Philly resident who knows Mike Knuble, I cannot tell you how thrilled I am with this hire. GREAT for the Caps. He's EXACTLY what the Caps need both on and off the ice. He is a heckuva nice guy and terrific role model for both kids and younger players -- a great presence in the locker room. Washington will love Mike Knuble, and he, in turn, will thrive in Washington. Congrats to GMGM and Ted. Great move!

Posted by: Exile_in_Philly | July 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Somebody help me dig up Manny Legace..

Posted by: thiazzi | July 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I guess if Bulin signed for under 4m a year it doesn't look so bad. But he is 36 and four years is a long run.

Posted by: saintex | July 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:12 PM |

He comes off as well?

Damn...enjoy this year CHI fans, because you guys are going to have some serious problems later.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Burnside praising the Knuble signing on the live blog on espn.com. Comparing Knuble's veteran presence to the one provided by Billy Guerin for the Pens last season.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

A good Caps day.

Posted by: saintex | July 1, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Not sure if it's this year, but I read his name listed among guys they're going to have to try to fit under the cap going forward at some point. Not sure where I saw that but it's obvious there might be an odd man out or two.

Edmonton getting 'Bulin is big for them. They came close to making the playoffs last year this might get them over the hump.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I love this signing! I wrote last week that Knuble was a Flyer I secretly longed to see in a Caps sweater. Now my wish has come true! He's gritty, in your face and bangs in front of the net. We need that!

As for Cap space, I think it only takes one injury for there to be a market for Theo. Sign Johnson. Put the kids in the AHL to start the season if we haven't unloaded Theo's contract. We have options. We may not like them, but the more options we have the better.

Posted by: jmurray019 | July 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

How have the Kings done nothing today?

Posted by: thiazzi | July 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

It seems a lot of these vets signing today know that they should sign for an amount that they know is secure, that or they're seeing the insane offers just aren't there

Posted by: superpaqman | July 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

BJ and the Bears -- are all the goalies we need. JT's GAA is about equal to his salery

Posted by: t-bone67 | July 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

Without a second line center we aren't in very good shape come the deadline...

Goodluck to Chicago trying to move Campbell...dude has a 7.14 cap hit until 2016. To give you an idea of how ridiculous that is...less than $2M more gets them Ovechkin. $7M is Chara money...ie Norris trophy winner.

The idea that Chicago can move Campbell is beyond ridiculous.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Knuble is exactly the type of player we've been needing. Big, tough, nasty, and willing to park his arrss in the crease. My only concern is his age. Kinda long in the tooth. But, I'll take him. He's certainly a HUGE UPGRADE over the wimp Fehrs, Flashs, etc. I detest so much. Thank you, George. A real good acquisition.

Posted by: Puckguru | July 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Kings will do something, guarantee it.

I honestly thought Hossa was going there.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@NJNJ

You hit the nail on the head. Save some space for trade deadline moves.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | July 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

@NJNJ

You hit the nail on the head. Save some space for trade deadline moves.

Posted by: freakinandpeakin | July 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

One thing to notice is Hossa's cap hit is $5.2 million. My guess is that means Gaborik, Cammalleri, Havlat are going to go in the $4 to $4.5 million range.

Posted by: ThePat | July 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

I asked that earlier.

Being the only 40 goal scorer, will Hossa's price set the benchmark?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I think it will and should unless someone goes crazy. The Isles even signing Roloson are like $10 million below the salary cap floor and have almost a full roster signed to contracts. So they have money to spend......or could possibly take on Nylander's contract????

Posted by: ThePat | July 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

You have to remember the amount of years are going to shave some money. I would still expect more money than Hossa from anyone doing a 4 year contract.

Posted by: Mike4169 | July 1, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Who is left in the running for Heatley?

Isles and Kings? Will he waive for either of them?

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:27 PM | Report abuse

@patrone

I said they'd try to move him, not that they would be able to. Of course, the Rags were able to move Gomez, so I guess anything is possible.

We'll still be in the top 3 in the East at the deadline with Nylander or Laich centering the 2nd line. Bank on it.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Clemmenson to Florida?

Weird....

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe everybody here thinks our Defensive corps is fine going into next year...

Am I only one who saw the penguins outshoot us 2 to 1 and completely dominate play in our defensive zone? You think guys like Carlson and Alzner are going to step in as rookies and handle Malkin, Crosby, Jeff Carter, Kovalchuk, etc? I think not.....It takes several years for young d-men to get their composure and confidence together. Poti has been an injury liability the past 2 years and is only getting older and Pothier clearly isn't the same guy we initially signed.

We are still a playoff team but somebody please tell me how our defense will be better this year with the same core group? Erskine and Jurcina, while physical at times, are way too slow to keep up with the pace. I am concerned.

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I for one welcome our Philidelphian Nemesis. A clear replacement for Federov, Knuble might not have the russian connection or cup experience but his health and points in phili are definite improvments over Feds.

Knuble is pretty flexible in my mind, so he could land anywhere in the top 3 lines

Posted by: breaklance | July 1, 2009 4:32 PM | Report abuse

i disagree...i see knuble as a replacement for Kozlov...both big wingers with almost identical cap hits and sneaky wrist shots except Knuble isn't afraid to go to the net and be physical..

Kozlov was, well......I don't think I need to spell it out.

definite upgrade.

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Ah, nothing like another summer season and the Capital's fans dreaming of that elusive championship. Once again chasing the mighty Pittsburgh Penguins and the league's top players, Crosby and Malkin. How did you like watching those two hoist the cup? How did you like seeing Crosby dominate in the Washington series - caping it all off by stealing the puck from Ovie and scoring on the breakaway. How did you like Malkin dazling in the playoffs and showing Ovie what the real trophies look like. Knuble is a solid hockey player, but not a difference maker. Washington is still weak defensively and its best player is a one dimensional super scorer who does not elevate the players around him. Look for the Penguins to once again reign in the East.

Posted by: southPgh | July 1, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he is not Fedorov's replacement. He doesn't play center. He replaces Kozlov on Ovie's wing to scoop up those rebounds.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Obviously Knuble is great.

Maybe i'm an just being silly, but I think our defense will be better than last year with the experiences and tenure. We have a relatively YOUNG defense, so every year we are getting better.

I believe Sloan can play NHL. I hope Alzner is ready. With that, I think we have enough strength to be legitimate contenders this year.

Don't forget, the best team on paper (Wings) and during the regular season (Sharks) didn't walk with the cup. It's the best team in May/June. We have the skill and roster to be in that position next year.

Posted by: fricknoutstandin | July 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@capz_hockey

We were not built to win the cup next year. I'd wager we even make it to the 3rd round next year. Alzner and Carolson can't handle Pitt's offense right now - but they aren't supposed to handle it yet. The Caps are built to win the cup between 2010 and 2012.

Everything else is gravy.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Clem to Fla makes sense since they lost Anderson to the Avs. Vokoun hasn't shown he can hold down that starter job and Clem obviously had a great dress rehearsal in NJ this year.

@capz

I'd rather give Alzner/Carlson the shot to step up than overpay for Komisarek at this point. If we had more cap room (Nylander) I might be singing a different tune. I was someone who didn't think Juice or Erskine could step up and play as solid as we would need them but I became convinced after watching them in the playoffs. Erskine was fantastic until he broke his foot and I thought Juice really stepped up his game towards the end of the reg season.

I'll laugh if Gaborik is forced to take something like $4 mil a year.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I agree the d-men are a bit concerning, but the problem capz_hockey pointed out agianst Pitt wasn't just the D performing poorly. It was everyone. The D was still blocking a whole lot of shots, but the offense couldn't ever get the puck past the neutral zone and it didn't stay often in the offensive zone. Not to say the D was doing good, but the entire game was bad. I think we don't need another grit dman though, we need another offensive dman like Green, but ya know will actually perform in the playoffs. >.>

Posted by: breaklance | July 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: southPgh | July 1, 2009 4:37 PM |

Good one.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Wow...it must be so boring in Shi*tsburgh that people go on other team's blog websites to brag...

get a life dude...seriously.

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@Dave

Check Vokoun's numbers. Remember, to adjust for the team he plays on.

Him and Quick are probably two of the most underrated goalies in the league.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Flyers sign Ian Laperierre to replace Knuble...not a bad move for Philly. He's a little more expensive than Knuble but I think Laperierre might be better than Knuble in the next two years.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I guess my point is that I really disagree with us bringing back guys like Schultz and Mo...

they have shown over the past 2 years that they are too slow and are huge liabilities when paired against the opposing team's superstars.

Let Carlson and Alzner have a shot but don't waste over 5 million in cap space on Mo/Schultz...that would be a big mistake.

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Mats Sundin to the Yankees for one year, 36 million.

Posted by: SA-Town | July 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

flyers just got ian lapierre. another fighter

Posted by: _stevo | July 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

We did not bring them back yet, we just offered them qualifying offers.

It is either get nothing for your RFAs and watch them turn UFA, or qualify them and work from there.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

@phil

Agreed, but Anderson got a lot of minutes even past the midpoint of the season when they were making their big playoff push because Vokoun had been a little shaky. Considering it's only $1.2 mil a year I think it's a fantastic signing.

Saying Ovechkin doesn't elevate the players around him is the most foolish thing I ever hear from the Pitt fans that don't know anything. Look at Backsrom's numbers playing with him, look at our PP numbers...how do you think Green scores like he does (when healthy)? Good lord Chris Clark buried 30 goals playing with Ovie. Mike Knuble might score the easiest 30 goals of his life next year if he plays opposite Ovie on the top line next year.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"flyers just got ian lapierre. another fighter"

Yep, I like it for them. They're gonna have a smashmouth team this year.

Posted by: BackstromInBlack | July 1, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Hal Gill signed with the Habs. HA!

Posted by: BackstromInBlack | July 1, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I understand Richmond Phil....but we all know how much GMGM loves Schultz having been a former first round pick.

I just don't see him letting Schultz go and it kills me. I've watched people on these boards rip Schultz for the past two years with good reason and he was starting for us in the playoffs (until he got schooled by the penguins and conveniently had an injury for the remainde of the playoffs after..haha).

At some point, GMGM needs to let the ego go and realize, "hey, i made a mistake drafting that player. Time to move on".

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I think Vokoun got bored this year. Plus, they didn't really look great in the last few games when they needed to. I think JayBo was like a -6 in the last 12 games.

It's a little weird to me because I think Clem would be ready for a real #1, not like a tandem which he is going to have in FLA with Vokoun. It makes sense for FLA, but not really for Clem to me.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Pens might lose Gill and Scud.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Wow for those of you who can you should turn on the NHL Network/TSN. There is a lot going on. Hal Gil is in Montreal so he's gone from Pitt and Pitt replaces him with Mike Rupp. NY Rangers are also pursuing Chris Neil! LMAO! So I guess the Rangers just want to beat everybody up next yr forget about winning games.

Posted by: pokerface1208 | July 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Oh god it just keeps getting worse and worse for Montreal...$2.25M per year for two years for Hal Gill...ugh.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Knuble. Nice.

Posted by: oo7 | July 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@phil

Totally agreed didn't know you meant it from that side. I can't believe Clemm settled for 1.2 a year considering the year he had when Marty was hurt. Fla must be happy as hell.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Gill is a Habs.

Great pairing there with Spacek, hahah.

Mike Rupp to the Pens.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

correction....Schultz was schooled by the Rangers....even worse

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

@Davethecapsfan

Any source on the Pens possibly loosing Scudari? That would be a huge blow to their D.

They are better without Gill.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

I don't like Schultz either, but it is obvious he still has upside, given his age and size. I see no problem qualifying him, but I am with you. Would like to see him go in a trade, if possible.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

You can move anyone. Gomez got moved with his crazy contract. I love the way GMGM is not getting sucked into(checking his ego). Everyone that has offered a long deal for crazy amount is regretting it. Everyone is trying to move some bad contract. Look @ HUET. As bad as theo is good thing we didn't sign him to a long deal.

This move is great. The only other thing we need is a 2nd line center. Everything is patchable(hershey).

Posted by: smartfan | July 1, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Isnt Mike Rupp just another fighter like Goddard?

The Pens cant have both of them on the ice at the same time can they?

Posted by: SA-Town | July 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Repost from last thread right after it happened:

Good signing. Big, tough, goes to the net, can score and fills one of our needs (RW). Yes, he's old, but coming off a good season and is relatively cheap. Good work, McPhee.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Unless Theodore moves, the Caps are done with free agency for now, and that's fine. GMGM found something that fit within his price point and went for it.

That said ... PP consisting of Ovi, Backstrom, Green, Semin, and Knuble.

Posted by: kittypawz | July 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I've been saying the same thing capz_hockey about our D. Green scores goals and can be quick. Poti is great. I see flashes of brilliance from Jurcina and Erskine. You can keep Schultz and Morrison. I like Alzner and yes it can't be expected that he can come up and suddenly be "miracle boy". Our best defense was with Johannsen, Langway, Witt, Reekie, Cote -- ah the good old days!!!!

Great move on the change in defensive coach. But I would give up Semin, or two of our defense or future draft picks to get a LeTang or Lidstrom knock off.

We are a very good team. Just another player or two away from being great.

Keep Theo -- good backup.

And I'll say it again. Steckel and Laich are unsung heroes for this team and deserve more credit. We are just fine at center. Steckel and Laich are great on the faceoffs, and Laich is such a good all round player. In fact, I am pegging him for future Captain.

I wish we would bring back Brendan Witt. I know he didn't want to stick around to stay with a team in the rebuilding mode. But the Islanders stink.

We will forgive you Brendan. Come home to DC.

Posted by: Girl1 | July 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

____________________________

Yep, I dont see anything happening without a trade coming forth, and with Edmonton getting Khabi, and Biron and Gustavvson on the market, Theo looks like he is staying.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Witt stinks.

No thanks.

Posted by: richmondphil | July 1, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Witt is an older (and more injured) version of the extremely slow guys everyone is complaining about.

Please no one talk about bringing Witt back. I like the guy for the time he spent here but as far as making our team better his name shouldn't even be mentioned.

No sources on Pens losing Scud, just a numbers game. He did tell them he'd give them last crack at matching/bettering whatever offer he might get. I don't know the Pens are better without Gill, they got a lot out of him all things considered.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I don't think our D is as bad as some people think. We played with three regulars hurt against the Pens. We are a year older,and have gained expierence. Sure I'd love to have one more bone crushing D-man on the club, but we cannot afford this at this point in time.

If we shed some contract off, maybe we can address this later in the season or at the trade deadline if necessary.

Remember we took the Cup champions to a 7 game series. We are not too far from the promised land.

Welcome to Washington and to the Capitals Mr. Knuble.

Posted by: Capsfannmiss | July 1, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

We will NOT forgive you, Brendan.

Theo - help us get you out of town. Don't you have an agent that can talk you up or something? Extra pix of you with the Hart and Vezina?

Everything else Girl1 said was on the money.

Posted by: EricCarr | July 1, 2009 5:01 PM | Report abuse

The defense IS as bad as we think

Posted by: Mike4169 | July 1, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I am still hopeful that a team who strikes out big time on Hossa, Gaborik, Cammalleri, Heatley (maybe Montreal?) will consider grabbing Nylander from us. We don't want anything in return; just take him!

Bottom line is that Nyls can still be an effective player but not on our team with the system we have in place. Gabby's system goes north-south and Nyls plays east-west and doesn't want to be physical (probably because his shoulder hasn't fully recovered and will never be the same). Hopefully somebody bites in a moment of desparation.

We can all hope, right?

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the Habs will trade for Theo? It seems like they'll throw money at players with questionable stats these days.

Posted by: DC_BCF | July 1, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Rumor Francois Beauchemin has a $4.5 mil a year offer on the table.

"upgrade the D! upgrade the D!"

Don't forget to mention you'll pay through the nose and overpay like champs.

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe come the trade deadline we can find a team who has plenty of cap room to take Nylander off our hands...offer them a 3rd or 4th round pick to essentially use their cap space to take him off our hands. Of course...he'd have to agree to the move...

Posted by: Davethecapsfan | July 1, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Hey is Mike Fisher a possibility? Ottawa fell on their face this year. Perhaps there is a surprise catch to be had? And I don't mean Heatley.

Posted by: Girl1 | July 1, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Unless it's a top pair D-man clearly better than Poti, Pothier or even Mo, there's no need to get another defenseman just to see if it works out. The Caps can't afford a top defenseman right now anyway.

Posted by: koalatek | July 1, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

there are so many things wrong with that statement, both factual and opinion-based, that i dont even know where to begin

Posted by: ahbest3 | July 1, 2009 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Some of my faith in GMGM is restored! Nicely done and good pricing. If only we could rid ourselves of Theo and or Nylander... I would take either one off the books.

Posted by: ERHDC1 | July 1, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Good move to sign Knuble. Anyone heard anything about Giroux as I think he was another UFA?
Also heard Heatley was going to Edmonton ... did that fall through?

Posted by: gogetem | July 1, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

If I had a nickel for everytime Mo took a stupid penalty and the opposing team scored to completely change the tempo of the game, i'd be rich right now...

As I said before, Mo asked for 3 million in arbitration last year and got 2 million. Are we really prepared to pay him Tom Poti money?

c'mon guys....He had a god awful season last year.... i mean, really bad. I went to 90% of the home games. It was brutal to watch.

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Great signing and a reasonable price by GMGM. Looks like Ovie and Backstrom will have that big, grinding RW who likes to park in front of the net and score the gritty goals we've lacked. Now, we need a 2nd line center and a rugged defensemen to round out the team.

The loss of Brashear is more symbolic than anything....I think the young players who looked to him for protection have matured enough that his presence isn't needed. His loss will open up another roster spot for one of our young guys from Hershey.

Posted by: wizfan89 | July 1, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

"By the way ... it wasn't Lombardi or Tanguay that Sloan laid the huge hit on in Calgarylast year--- it was Rene Bourque."

Actually, it was Daymond Langkow. Bourque was the one who jumped Sloan and got the nine-minute penalty (and sadly, we didn't score).

Posted by: BackstromInBlack | July 1, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Re: Sloan hit. Rene Bourque was not the guy that Sloan hit...Bourque was the guy that jumped Sloan after the hit.

Posted by: sj9096 | July 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

@ahbest3

Please try and explain it...

The flyers are obviously trying to get tougher. Replacing Knuble with Laperrierre achieves that goal. They do loose some offensive production granted - but given what is available and the cap restraints - this is a good option for them.

I think any smaller defensive team will have a really tough time hanging with Philly's offense on the boards...it's real in-your-face smash-mouth philly hockey.

Posted by: patrone | July 1, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I thought it was Lombardi or Cammalleri...definitely a smaller guy

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Girl1,

I think I will take Langway, Murphy, Stevens, Hatcher plus anyone over your list.. three hall of famers.

Reekie and Cote were a solid player and I love Calle but Witt never lived up to the expectations.. don't see how you can omit Scott Stevens when talking about the Caps defense.

Posted by: joek443 | July 1, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

SI wrote yesterday "Biggest Need: Overloaded with too many fancy dancers who'd rather avoid contact than drive the net to create a chance, they're desperately in need of a fearless power forward presence"

c'mon Tarik.

Very good signing

Posted by: nativedc | July 1, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

first, laperriere is set to make far less than knuble, at least from what i have read.

second, knuble is a much more impactful player, as evidence by his stats throughout his career. to suggest that laperriere, at age 35, is going to drastically improve to the point where he outproduces knuble is ridiculous. knubs is a top 6 guy, laps is bottom six material, end of story.

oh, and suggesting that the caps dont have a legitimate shot at the cup until the year after next, as you did in a previous post, is also ridiculous.

hope that helps

Posted by: ahbest3 | July 1, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Gotta Love Calle...Most games played by a Cap...and he was consistent for us throughout his career.

I also love how he raised his back leg up and balanced on one foot when he took a one-timer from the point. Not sure if any of you remember that.

I miss him.

Posted by: capz_hockey | July 1, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

since when did philly not have enough thugs, laperriere for knuble does not improve the flyers, and even their most ardent supporters will tell you that

Posted by: ahbest3 | July 1, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Could not be happier.

Posted by: roller-xokkeucm | July 1, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Knuble has averaged 27.5 goals the past 6 years...and about the same number of assists. Looks like a pretty consistent player. Should provide some of that experience that we lost with Federov although his Russian probably isn't as good.

Posted by: rjma1 | July 1, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, I have to disagree with the fan that decided that we should trade Semin away. Explain the upsides of that because I don't see it. While you're at it, why don't you trade Ovechkin over to the Penguins too.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | July 1, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

wow, rangers signed gaborik. 5 years at $7.5 mil per.

Posted by: ranndino | July 1, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

LeftCoastCapsFan,

Semin for whom?? The only untouchables as I see it are OV and Green. Anyone else could be trade if the RIGHT offer came along.

If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, so can Semin.

Posted by: joek443 | July 1, 2009 9:54 PM | Report abuse

oops, forgot to add Backstrom to one of the untouchables.

Posted by: joek443 | July 1, 2009 9:56 PM | Report abuse

@superpaqman
"they're seeing the insane offers just aren't there"

You don't think signing 30 year old Marian Hossa to a 12 year $62 million isn't ludicrous? I think its a terrible deal after year 5 or 6. The Hawks are stupid.

And...I guess I will continue to police the site for random and misplaced Pens fans who drop by for no reason. Dude, take off! Are you so used to controversy that you can't sit back and enjoy both of the world championships your town just won this year? Do you really have to come here and spout off your nonesense to people who don't care.

You're using up precious oxygen, my friend. Go back to that hole you call a city and breath soot and pollution like the rest of your kind.

Thank you and good night!

Posted by: jmurray019 | July 1, 2009 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is --Mixedmingle dot com--- All singles there are seeking interracial relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Posted by: sallyworking2006 | July 3, 2009 3:32 AM | Report abuse