Sens Prematurely Plan Parade Route

I've been bragging all month about how I had picked the Senators back in early March to win the Cup. Is it too late to change my mind? Because through the first two games of the SCF they certainly don't look like the Sens who banished Briere and the top seeded Sabres, much less a club capable of beating J.S. Giguere and the Ducks.

The Sens say they aren't panicking, despite having never won a playoff round after going down 2-0.

Read Ottawa Sun beat writer Bruce Garrioch's gamer here and Don Brennan's sidebar here.

And to think Ottawa has already planned a politically correct Cup parade. I almost spit up my coffee when I read this on Paul Kukla's blog this morning.

If the Senators win their final series against the Anaheim Ducks, the Stanley Cup won't just come back to Ottawa -- it will also visit Gatineau, Que.
Both Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien and the Senators' hockey club have confirmed that a Stanley Cup parade would pass through Gatineau, just across the Ottawa River, Mayor Marc Bureau said Wednesday.

At this point, that's a real big 'if'.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 31, 2007; 6:51 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: They Don't Know What They're Missing
Next: Caps Sign Lepisto

Comments

Yeah; No way the sens win it now after that little tidbit.

KARMA's a !#@$@

Posted by: Go Skins Go | May 31, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse

They've had that parade route planned for quite sometime lol, how many years of underacheiving? I said Sens in six, but I'm thinking now Ducks in five, Ott takes one at home, giving the ducks the chance to win the cup on their home ice.

Posted by: Graham | May 31, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

This is such a non-story. Parades are generally held 2 days after the the winning of a championship and that's not enough time for a city to coordinate everything, so any city that has a team that gets to the finals is going to play this before anything is ever won... it's just generally a bad idea to let it get out.

Posted by: checkingline.com | May 31, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Every great play that Getzlaf makes remindds me that the Caps chose Fehr instead. Don't get me wrong, I hope Fehr goes on to blossom (and that this back ailment of his that has lasted for months isn't too serious), but I can't help but wonder what the hells going on in the front office sometimes.

Tarik, any word on Fehr's condition? Strange that the Caps never update his status, which is a bit worrisome.

Posted by: Where is Fehr? | May 31, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I didn't think I would watch any of these games but you are so right, Tarik, they ARE really good games. Can't believe the Sens are the same team that nearly swept the Sabres.

Posted by: On Ice | May 31, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Hey Tarik,

Any news on defensive prospect Sami Lepisto? There was a rumour that he had been offered a contract yesterday.

Posted by: Graham | May 31, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Lepisto could be signed by the end of the day. If not sooner.

Posted by: Tarik | May 31, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Awesome, thanks Tarik.

Posted by: Graham | May 31, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

The ducks looked pretty good, but both games have been decided by 1 goal so it could still go either way. I am still hoping the Sens way, they had some good opportunities.

Posted by: cs | May 31, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

didn't the devils hold their parade in the parking lot of their stadium????? At least the Sens wont have to do that!

But it wont matter, Sens wont have to deal with a parade. Emory is not as good as his stats indicate, his D-men are blocking a ton of shots for him, Sens wont win him in goal.

Posted by: genotype55 | May 31, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Tarik,

You've got to point out if that's the Marc Bureau that used to play in the NHL or not.

Posted by: Kim | May 31, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Genotype,

I would disagree. Last night's game for example, the only one that got by him was one in which his defender was turned around and Pahlsson shot the puck between his legs. Wehn you lose a playoff game 1-0, the goalie isn't the problem to me. The Sens had a five on three and didn't manage anything. Look at the shot total.

I do agree that Emery isn't an elite goalie, just a good/above average one. Emery is/was hot this season, and thats really all you need.

Posted by: Graham | May 31, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Tarik, I know you are not to blame because you don't make the decisions but I have to say the WP coverage of the Stanley Cup finals has been pathetic. It is just a crime that they don't send you out to cover the finals when there are WP writers covering the NBA conference finals. This is really disappointing to me and I don't buy the excuse that noone is interested in the SCF. Maybe if the Post covered it more, people would be interested. There is even a Caps angle in that both of the coaches have connections to the Caps.

Posted by: 4capitals | May 31, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but in the DC area, there's 50 times more interest in the NBA playoffs than the Stanley Cup finals. Sorry...

Posted by: Ice Ice | May 31, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

It is the same Ottawa team that smoked the Sabres. Ottawa has finally had to play a Western Conference team. Good defense beats good offense...

Posted by: Bubba | May 31, 2007 8:07 PM | Report abuse