Morrison, Gordon, Carlson, Walker practice

All 25 Capitals on the active roster just took the ice here at Kettler for their morning skate ahead of tonight's matchup against Boston, a refreshing sign for a team whose lone goal the rest of the regular season is to make sure everybody is healthy when the postseason begins next week.

Brendan Morrison (lower body), Boyd Gordon (back), John Carlson (upper body), and Scott Walker (knee) all of whom have missed action in the past week -- are practicing, though their status for tonight remains unclear. Defenseman Milan Jurcina, out indefinitely with a sports hernia, is not skating. I'll have more once Coach Bruce Boudreau addresses a sparse collection of media (apparently there are some more pressing events going on at Redskins Park today).

By Mark Giannotto  |  April 5, 2010; 10:41 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps complete regular-season trifecta
Next: Caps React to Umberger's comments

Comments

Let's go Capitals!!!

Posted by: instinct227 | April 5, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

As a Caps fan I am unbelievably ready for them to win a Cup. I honestly believe they will win a couple with this group of players. Will it be this year, they have a great shot, but who knows, the run to the Stanley Cup championship is a long and brutal accomplishment. I know it is for selfish reasons but I get tired of having to concede to fans of other teams because our Caps haven't won a Cup yet. Please Caps, help me finally shut the traps of fans that blast you.

Posted by: fanohock1 | April 5, 2010 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see some of the big guns take a game off this week.

Can we even call guys up from Hershey? Tonight is a good night to rest, and then throw em all at Pittsburgh to close down Melon the right way.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

WaPo editors: really, McNabb was the A1 story today? The Redskins are TERRIBLE. We have the best hockey team in the league and not even a sports 1 story?

I hope the print edition makes amends and has a full page A1 story when the Caps win the Stanley Cup. I'm talking moon landing-like in the size of the picture.

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 5, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I too am appalled at the lack of coverage for the President's Trophy winner and the overall fawning over Donovan fricking McNabb,,,,,,seriously?!?! The skins suck and will for the next couple years at least, cover the only winner in town already!!

Posted by: PhilR | April 5, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

IMHO, Carlson is difference-maker and key figure in the quest for the Cup. His importance cannot be overstated (possibly an overstatement :) Let's go CAPS!!

Posted by: thebone | April 5, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Green's all-around game has blossomed since the Olympic break, when he made up his mind to adopt a "defense-first" approach. That decision not-so-coincidentally was made around the same time Canada claimed the Olympic gold medal. Green was one of the last players cut from the roster because, according to General Manager Steve Yzerman, he wasn't "strong enough" in his own end.

"The light just went off in my head that I need to play this way," Green said. "Now, I think defense first."

-----------------

i know fans were all indignant when Green was left off the roster by Yzerman, but he was left off deservedly so. And its ended up being the best thing for his career. That proverbial "light" needs to go off in a player's head before he understands what he needs to do. If he'd made that Canadian team, that light probably wouldn't have gone off and the Caps would be worse off for it. I like the way he's focusing more on defense this year. It looks like he actually cares.

I remember 2 yrs ago when Laich's "light" went off (or on) and he realized that he needed to be a better grinder in that crease area. He went from a soft player to a complete player almost overnight. It wouldn't hurt for that light to hit a few more of our players. The team will be stronger for it. It is surprising that it took Yzerman's decision to kickstart Green. You'd think that kind of motivation would come from WITHIN the org/coaching staff.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 5, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

btw, Anton Gustafsson got 2 assists yesterday for Hershey. One to Cody Eakin, the other on a Giroux goal. This is in his first ever NA pro game. He's also sporting a shiner and missing some teeth in his picture

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

"apparently there are some more press (-ing) events going on at Redskins Park today"

... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

SA-Town
Maybe playing them less minutes will be more practical? It will give them some rest and at the same time in game shape (for lack of better words). It will also give the other guys an opportunity to play more.
Other than OV playing for the scoring league lead there is not much to accomplish on these last few games. So lets hope they stay healthy and fresh.

Posted by: hock1 | April 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

it would be nice to see Carlson and Walker get back into the lineup here at the end. They change the mix on this team. For the better i think.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 5, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Donavan McWho? Go Caps! Glad the players are all healthy (or getting there). Hope they're ready for the playoffs!

Posted by: futbolclif | April 5, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

dumb redskins. Giving up draft picks for an over the hiller. So much for a patient rebuild.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 5, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Well, I think it is not that bad that the Caps are flying under the radar for now ...

... I don't think press-hysteria would be good for the players and choaches ... it will come soon enough ...

... and as long as they are not taken for a serious cup contender, they have all the psychological advantages on their side ...

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 5, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse

In another shining example of the depth this organization has, Hershey is able to give guys a rest like Bourque and Miskovic and still be able to throw in Eakin, Gustafsson, and others and not miss a beat. Eakin was all over the ice last night and I look VERY forward to seeing his development next couple years. Gustafsson needs to hit the strength program hard this off-season, he was getting pushed off pucks way too easy last night. Nice heads up play on Eakin's goal to corral puck and have sense to get back to point, he has nice puck skills, just needs to grow into that 6'2" frame a little

Posted by: BBDwrestling | April 5, 2010 11:52 AM | Report abuse

To be fair to the WaPo staff, San Jose's loss last night was after the print deadline, so they wouldn't have known that the Caps had win the President's Trophy.

That said, I'll endorse the Moon landing approach to a Cup win....

Posted by: EricinReston | April 5, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

FYI folks: this is a Redskins town first and foremost. Snyder/Shanahan badly overpaying for a QB with three or so years left in his career may be amusing to most of the country but it is going to be the ABSOLUTE top story for the local sports media.

Just the way it is here.

Posted by: TrabZ | April 5, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

@EricinReston,

I actually assumed that the lack of PC story was because it was after deadline, so I didn't kvetch about that. But A1 during the off season, give me a break. Let me see if I can find that A1 story of the Knuble signing (also from Philly to here). Hmmm, not there. Shocked! Shocked!

Posted by: oldtimehockey | April 5, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

I have lived in VA all my life, and I have never once cared even an ounce about the Redskins. Or American Football, for that matter.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 5, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Green should become a US citizen and play for the US in 2014.

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 5, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Redskin Town,

You know, Most of my friends like football but not the Redskins...but their firms own tickets...they go to the games as part as work.
I wonder what percent of the Redskins Season tickets are corporate based? What about the Caps...Nationals?

So is this a Redskins town or a Football town?

Posted by: innatmelbourne | April 5, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Can't wait for Carlson to jump into the lineup, right next to Poti - if for no better reason than to make sure it's not Corvo, who IMHO fits much better paired with Mo.
Walker seems to be competing with Brads for that 4th line RW, since both of them look completely lost on the off wing.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

@ccCapsfan

... before that, Green should carry the SC to his hometown and get some Norris trophies ... ;-)

Posted by: FCKoeln1 | April 5, 2010 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Things I would love to see tonight:

- Ovi getting back on the goal-scoring sheet.

- Winning by more than one goal

- PK continue to gel

- Tyler Sloan in street clothes and sitting as far away from the rink as possible

Posted by: SuperZ3383 | April 5, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

PK's not been that great. Under 80% the past couple games.

I want to see Brads get his 10th.

Posted by: richmondphil | April 5, 2010 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Green got some major love from Murph and Reid on NHL Network On the Fly late last night - "officially" crowned as the best offensive D-man in the history of the team and practically handed a Norris.

Posted by: igor_k17 | April 5, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Are people really crying that the McNabb trade was a headline grabber? The Caps clinched the President's trophy by another team losing.

It is a great accomplishment but not too much to write about. What is the story? Caps clinch President's trophy with San Jose losing and then start describing the San Jose game. Accomplishing on a night when the Caps don't play make it much less headline grabbing.

Also, it was an inevitable thing that all people knew was coming.

In addition, with a week to go and the playoffs about to start, it isn't the time to do a story on the season. There wasn't much of a story to write except a couple of sentences on it.

The comparison of McNabb to Knuble is a little crazy too. McNabb is a QB, a star player who plays at a star position. Knuble is great, but the better analogy for Knuble would be if the Redskins signed a very good offensive lineman. He is a very good player who is extremely helpful to the team, but is not a star.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 5, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

People still read print newspapers? :)

Posted by: richmondphil | April 5, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

@igor_k17

I agree completely that Corvo should be paired with ShaMo and Poti with Carlson.

Also, I read that the salary cap is expected to be increased by $900K next year. I read it earlier and don't have the link right now.

Posted by: sgm3 | April 5, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

RJ who? Columbus what?

Posted by: lylewimbledon | April 5, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

SIGNS THAT THE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US:

--The rivers and seas turn to blood...
--Rise of the Antichrist...
--War, Famine, Disease and Pestilence are everywhere as the Four Horsemen emerge...
--An entire year goes by without
the Redskins having a "quarterback controversy"

...same as it ever was...

Posted by: Rhino40 | April 5, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

How would you like to be the Bruins having to play the Caps in DC twice out of your last 4 games while you desperately cling to the 8th spot?

Posted by: ccCapsfan | April 5, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I guess since the rise of the internet people have forgotten about deadlines for newspapers. Remember checking the Western Conference games in the morning and the score would say 'Late Game?' The story will probably be in tomorrow's paper, but since I only read the paper online, I won't know for sure.

Posted by: griz0615 | April 5, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse