Easy Schedule: Good or Bad?

Of the five opponents the Caps will face in their final seven games of the season, just one -- Florida -- has a reasonable shot at making the playoffs. It's looking bleak for the Buffalo Sabres, and the other teams -- the Isles, Lightning and Thrashers -- have the three worst records in the Eastern Conference.

In other words, it'll be a while before the Caps square off against a playoff-caliber team. Is that good, bad, or inconsequential? Tell us what you think.

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  March 27, 2009; 2:14 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin's New Toy
Next: Tonight's Lineup: Lightning at Caps

Comments

It may take a game or two in the post season to get back up to speed with the good teams but the rest will prove very valuable. I look for a long run!

Posted by: capfan89 | March 27, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Dang you guys are busy!!! That's like 20 posts today!

---
@Greg: Yeah,the first couple of times I took my son to a Caps Game I almost had to carry him, he was so terrified. But he got used to it and now is a Caps Fan 4 life...

Posted by: Rhino40

Ain't NO WAY I'm carrying my son! He's 22 and weighs a ton. He'll have to deal with it. :)

Thanks all for the wishes. Another year gone in a flash...

Posted by: Greg S. | March 27, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

While Florida will probably be giving us a run, the rest o the games are petty laughable. I do kinda wish it was a little tougher, but the SE is what it is.:^\

Posted by: EricS2 | March 27, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Better Poll Answer:

It *shouldn't* make a difference.

You play who the schedule says and if you're in the line-up, you give your all...

Posted by: MikeL-Caps91 | March 27, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

from previous
@ Jafrick- as a Yorktown graduate and a resident of Arlington formostofmy life that is indeed sad news, alotof his projects were great for the area. On another note, I haven't heard anyone mention the Escalade with the red rims yet.

Posted by: doncosmic | March 27, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

doncosmic, I think someone mentioned it was Brash's. Not sure though.

Posted by: jmu_capsgirl | March 27, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Beers are $7.50 no matter who we play, so the schedule is not any easier for me. Thats for damn sure.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 27, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Thanks all for the wishes. Another year gone in a flash...

Posted by: Greg S.

Greg S.
Look at it on the bright side, you won't have to change his diapers, and best of it, sometimes they come handy when picking a pretty senorita. - oh, I forgot you are married ...
Enjoy the game, as many here have said, there are not bad seats at the center.
Happy birthday.

Posted by: opita1 | March 27, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Uhm, that 5-1 loss in Atlanta wasn't very laughable...

Posted by: alagarts | March 27, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Come on! You seriously think they've all forgotten last years disappointing loss in the playoffs. They know what's on the line and they'll be prime to put their first round opponent packing as soon as they can!

GO CAPS!!!!

Posted by: cfrazier91 | March 27, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

That car is crap.

Ovie should metro to games.

Posted by: SA-Town | March 27, 2009 1:10 PM

YES! Like everyone else does! :)

Weak schedule: no sense of urgency.

Posted by: rachel216 | March 27, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

So I guess we should expect wins here on out? The Isles spanked the Devils in there last meeting and we seem to have more success at boston and Pittsburgh then we do againts the Fla and Atlanta. Every game counts.

Posted by: cappies | March 27, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Can't not expect BB to be using these games to test some new options out though. Should have a catalog of surprises come playoffs.

Posted by: cappies | March 27, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Oskar Osala is cuteeee :)

Posted by: rachel216 | March 27, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

SA-Town: Amen. ;)

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 27, 2009 3:22 PM | Report abuse

lol @ SA-Town

So true, but it's not gonna stop me from having one tonight! :)

Posted by: capsfan26 | March 27, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Gotta win tonite, don't want to stew on a loss all weekend (and monday, and tuesday)

Posted by: mikebrady1 | March 27, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Saw on the Cap Centre blog where Dick's in Sterling is already selling Capitals 2009 Southeast Div Champions shirts. Maybe WJS works there.....

Posted by: 1hockeymom | March 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

On Ovie's new toy. I think this is a better clip. It's a Top Gear clip on the Merc Brabus which is, I believe the same car.

Posted by: Greg S. | March 27, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

@rachel216: *snicker*

You forgot to mention the fact that because he is a cutie, our team is gonna' s*ck big time tonight 'cause he's busy admiring himself on the protective glass around the rink. It has to be hockey related, remember? =P

Here's hoping we trounce the Lightning and the rest of the teams lining up to accept another loss from us. *knocks on wood* Let's take it all the way to the Cup, Capitals!!!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 27, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Playing teams like the Isles, Thrashers, and the Lightning can be dangerous since they can play loose --they have nothing to lose-- and they can be spoilers. They also want to prove that their records don't reflect the "true" measure of their team.

The Caps on the other hand aren't geared up to make these "BIG Games" and so they are at the risk of playing down to the level of their competition allowing bad habits and risking injury from laziness.

The Redwings are now almost boring to watch because they are so efficient. As the Caps mature, I am hoping they will have just a little of that efficiency.

Every season presents it own sets of challenges, and this one isn't likely to be repeated. I am thinking that with all the coaching changes in the Southeast division, the division is going to get better soon.

Posted by: Landshark | March 27, 2009 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where I can watch the game online? I have to work tonight.

Posted by: mikesfan | March 27, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Woohoo only two hours! I'm getting ready to leave work and head for my perch high atop Section 413 any minute now! :D

Posted by: GregAnnapolis | March 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

BTW--

Are the Caps going to honor the sudden passing of Tom Newman tonight? He was singularly critical to the creation of the Kettler Capitals Iceplex In Ballston.

Here is his obit from today's paper:

Posted by: Landshark | March 27, 2009 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Where's that obnoxious windjammer dude? He jinx the whole end of the season.

Posted by: guer_j | March 27, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Caps aren't playoff ready, but that's because their lineup is filled with soft Euros. I don't see any forwards strong enough to grind in the corners or in front of the net game in game out in a seven game series with NJ or Philly. They need a few more Brooks Laichs and a few less Nick Backstroms. I mean, it's not like you have Martin Brodeur in the net and a few Scott Stevenses on the back end. Green's one of the top defensemen in the league, but he ain't no Dion Phaneuf.

Playoffs are a different story than the regular season as Caps bandwagoners will learn. AO may be ready, but there's only one of him last I checked, and he can't win the Cup all by himself.

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 27, 2009 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Anybody else smell something? Smells like wet dog? Is there a troll in the house? It'd be nice if they did honor Mr. Newman. Kettler's a pretty awesome place.

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | March 27, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, smells like diapers in here - it's the home of bandwagon babies new to the realities of the NHL playoffs

I never said the Caps weren't a great team, just said if you look at the roster it would be tough to stack them up against playoff grinders on other teams. The truth hurts doesn't it?

Posted by: puckheaded1 | March 27, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

My bad. For a second I thought this was a Capitals blog. Didn't realize it was a Pens' blog. It does smell like diapers, huh? Someone change Crosby already.

If you want to accuse any fans of being bandwagoners, you can't outright accuse someone of that unless they get off the bandwagon. Though, if they stay on, through good and bad, then you just made yourself out to be a liar and a fool.

Each year is different. So whatever basis you're using to outright trivialize what chances the Capitals have for the playoffs, shows a naivete, in and of itself. For you to think that based on what they did last year, last month, or even last week is foolish. Get off the boards if all you're gonna' do is trump up doom and gloom for the world that exists only in your head.

You're dismissed.