Eighth Longest Game Ever

Be honest. Who stayed up and watched Brenden Morrow and the Stars eliminate the Sharks in the fourth overtime last night? I love playoff hockey as much as anybody, particularly OT thrillers, but I checked out pretty early. If you did, too, check out the replay below. Marty Turco and Evengi Nabokov were unbelievable.

This article has a graphic with the longest games.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  May 5, 2008; 9:07 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau's Superstitions
Next: Jagr 'Likely" Off Caps' Books

Comments

wow that guy who called the replay sucked, he couldn't even pronounce Sergei.

Posted by: TJ | May 5, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I did stay up for the conclusion. I didnt start watching until the thrid period, thankfully. But I was just blown away by the high quality level of play even into the 4th OT - I was thinking, hell the Caps would have really struggled against either of these teams. Some of the best hockey I have ever watched - both goalies trading highlight reel saves. Incredible and fun to behold.

Posted by: Shaggy | May 5, 2008 9:49 AM | Report abuse

I watched the whole game to the end. One of the best games I've seen. The goalies made some unbelievable save including Nabby on Richards as he reached back, caught the puck in air just as it was about to cross the goal line and pulled it back out. Great game though. I can predict that the Finals will be D vs. P :) I'm routing for the "D" teams!!

Posted by: Don-Ald | May 5, 2008 9:55 AM | Report abuse

I watched regulation, then went to bed. And that hit by Marrow (sp) was AMAZING. Felt bad for that guy, he had no chance to brace himself.

Is it bad I want the wings to win it all? eww.

Posted by: Go Skins Go | May 5, 2008 9:56 AM | Report abuse

I watched, though my eyes were fluttering at the end. Great goaltending. SJ underachieved again. They had so many chances to score. I'm not taking anything from Dallas, though. They were great.

Posted by: oo7 | May 5, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Even more impressive was Mike Green's goal for Team Canada yesterday.

Posted by: FS | May 5, 2008 10:10 AM | Report abuse

I stayed up and watched it. I'm dragging tis morning, but it was worth it. There's nothing like playoff OT hockey, especially when it drags past 2 in the morning.

Posted by: BarnabySUX | May 5, 2008 10:30 AM | Report abuse

That guy doing the commentary sounded like an intern. He nails "Antti Miettinen" but can't pronounce Sergei?

Posted by: Dinger | May 5, 2008 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Went to bed at the end of regulation. Go western conference!

Posted by: Leeguru | May 5, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Leeguru:
Which team are you rooting for? I lean original six, especially when a "southern" team is involved (if you can't play hockey outside at any time of the year, then it's not really a hockey town, is it?!?). ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I was up until the end. Knew the campbell penalty would be the end. Unfortunate that it had to end that way, but you knew it was coming after dallas took a penalty in the 3rd ot period.

You could really start to see the play degrade a bit in the 4th OT. But damn if it wasn't fun to watch anyway.

Posted by: Mike | May 5, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe I'll be cheering for Detroit.

Posted by: jen.n. | May 5, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Well this absolutely sucks. I don't even want to watch the Pens/Flyers series because I hate both teams more than anyone in the league! Because I love the game so much I will end up watching though. It will be fun cheering every time one of the teams mess up bad, no matter who it is.

All I can say is GO DALLAS! Or whatever team that comes out of the WEST!

By the way GREEN'S goal against latvia I think it was made it on the top 10 plays of the day on Sportscenter this morning! Awesome goal.

Posted by: SoMDcapsfan | May 5, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Watched it, being CST and Lone Starry and everything.

That hit was Dallas' one highlight for much of the next two hours. Haven't read any news stories on the game but to me they looked like they deserved to lose for the majority of OT. Ron Wilson had his team playing strong all the way through.

Posted by: austinsteve | May 5, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Mr. birdie, a lifelong Wings fan (although I did get him to wear a caps shirt this season.....slow progress is better than no progress!) has promised me, upon pain of having Green shoot a puck at his "boys," that the Wings will sweep whichever team come out of the East AND should it be the Flightless Wonders, make Sid cry (should it be the Phlyers, I have been promised that the Magical Spearing Midget will be taught a very painful lesson).

Posted by: Birdie | May 5, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I listened. no versus in the dorms. but the guys who were calling the game sucked.

Does anyone know when the EQUIPMENT SALE is though?

Posted by: Thomas | May 5, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

There's an article on huet in today's Le Monde: http://www.lemonde.fr/sports/article/2008/05/05/hockey-sur-glace-cristobal-huet-remet-son-bleu-de-chauffe_1041340_3242.html

I haven't had a chance to give it a good read-over yet, but its basically talking about his rise to be an NHL-level goalie and how he's in Canada right now for worlds with the French team. Nothing much about the Caps and his future, though. I'll see how much I can muddle through during lunch and get a better summary. or osmeone with better French than me is more than welcome to post a translation! :)

Posted by: Birdie | May 5, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Was pulling an all-nighter for a final.

lets just say i was distracted for a good amount of time (mainly from OT1 to OT4)

i was lovin it. but again i hate how it ended on a powerplay.

Posted by: Anthony | May 5, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

both goalies were unbelievable. Turco is the man. he made many saves that bailed out the Stars. I hope Bettman never changes the OT format. he's so dumb that he'd consider it.

Posted by: CapsFanInHollywood | May 5, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

how pissed off is Jeff Halpern right now that he got traded at the deadline.

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | May 5, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I started out supporting the Caps and Flames. Then I went to the Habs and Sharks. I'm afraid what will happen if I root for the Red Wings now..

Posted by: Jordan | May 5, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I watched it from end to end--for the first two-plus periods it was simply on in the background while I got some work done...but then I couldn't leave it, and at times had to stand and watch in amazement. An absolutely terrific game, with eye-popping saves by both goalies in OT. Glad it got decided by a quality goal rather than a fluke, though it's too bad that--as in our game 7 OT--it happened on a power play.

Posted by: Jim H | May 5, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm afraid that Wilson will be canned for this loss. They've had a good team each year, but he hasn't been able to produce a Cup.

Posted by: Greg S. | May 5, 2008 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I watched the whole game. Went to bed finally about 2:45am and got up at 5am for work.
Thank goodness for Starbucks.

Outstanding goaltending!

Posted by: washcaps37 | May 5, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Im a stars fan as well as a caps fan and i stayed up even though i had school today. Best game i've ever watched! believe me caps fans jump n the stars bandwagon, we're suppsoed to hate the pens and the wings and we all know they flyers dont deserve to be here so GO STARS!!

Posted by: Andy G | May 5, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andy G | May 5, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately I tried to stay up to watch it but was too pooped after an extremely exhausting weekend - CREW at the AVON Walk for Breast Cancer, had my own hockey game last night (won), and also watching Star Wars on Spike Channel.

Posted by: Jimmy | May 5, 2008 4:51 PM | Report abuse

right...

flyers dont deserve to be there

do the stars? they won on a borderline penalty call

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy:
That's so cool! What did you do on the crew? Was it as exhausting as watching Star Wars?!? ;-)

Posted by: Boo! | May 5, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

I watch the whole game last night as well... Its funny to me that the Sharks also loss like some other franchise i know hint hint Capitals on a Overtime PowerPlay goal... Now i know San Jose didnt convert on there PPlay chance, So Gary Bettman my question to you is, When do the Caps get there power play chance agasint Philly in Overtime? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm dont let playoff games be decided on Overtime Power Plays... let the boys play and decide the outcome is all i ask...
GO CAPS!

Posted by: Zack Attack | May 5, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Being a Caps fan and a Stars fan, it was an awesome game! HOw could you turn off any OT play? Morrow is the man! That was so sweet given he had 2 goals waved off the game before.

Posted by: Tracy | May 5, 2008 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Zack Attack...I don't have a problem with a penalty being called in overtime, but it's like the on-air analyst said, "if it's not a penalty in the last 70 minutes, then it shouldn't be one now." The game went 71:52 between penalties, and there were several that could/should have been called in the meantime.

...and I was one who stayed to the bitter end as well.

Posted by: ThePeerless | May 6, 2008 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Boo,

Sorry for the late reply (I usually don't check these blogs that often)...

I was part of the Pack-Up team (let me tell you that 3800+ walkers can leave a LOT of trash!) but it was great and we really lucked out with the weather. I have the Star Wars DVDs but still watch whenever it comes on regular TV (I'm weak).

Posted by: Jimmy | May 7, 2008 11:27 AM | Report abuse