Eminger Scratched Against Calgary

Coach Glen Hanlon has made a significant change to his defensive pairings for tonight's game against the Calgary Flames: he's scratched struggling Steve Eminger from the lineup.

Eminger, who has only one assist and a plus-minus rating of minus-5 in 10 games, will take a seat in the press box alongside forwards Jakub Klepis and Rico Fata at Pengrowth Saddledome.

"I can play better," said Eminger, a player many hoped would have the breakout season the organization has been waiting for since drafting him 12th overall in 2002. "Average is unacceptable. I know I'm a better player. Sometimes these situations can be a positive instead of a negative, as much as it hurts."

"You're never happy with the decision at all," he added. "It's hard to accept it. But I have to somehow take a look in the mirror and take a positive out of it and get better from here on in. It's just a matter of confidence. I have stop being worried out there, stop being worried about making mistakes. That's main problem."

Eminger's defensive partner, Ben Clymer, will skate with Jamie Heward against the Flames. Meantime, Shaone Morrisonn will continue to skate alongside Brian Pothier, while often-scratched Bryan Muir will stay in the lineup and skate with rookie Mike Green. Muir impressed the coaching staff with his play in Edmonton.

Hanlon declined to discuss his decision to bench Eminger.

Other notes from the pregame skate: Olie Kolzig will start in goal. Alex Ovechkin came off half an hour before his teammates but is said to be healthy and will play. Dainius Zubrus did not skate but will play.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  October 30, 2006; 3:16 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Kono Weighing His Options
Next: Ovechkin Plans To Go Online

Comments

i've been busy this weekend so i haven't had that chance to ask anyone if they saw the pens put up eight on saturday night. crosby hat trick! and of course malkin also chipping in with key plays!

Posted by: PPcupwinners | October 30, 2006 4:40 PM | Report abuse

I really want Eminger to be the player everyone hoped he would be, but I guess it's not going to happen quickly. He's still young, and d-men seem to be the slowest developing position on the ice. But it's such a backwards path... he nearly stuck around in 2002, and now here we are.

Posted by: Rage | October 30, 2006 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Good thing zubrus was able to get in there tonight...

Seriously though isn't there somewhere for Penguins fans to be? Do you have life or do you post on Capitals blog because it amuses you? Tarik I know hes not breaking the rules or anything...I just HATE the penguins!

Posted by: capz lock | October 31, 2006 1:07 AM | Report abuse

Actually, it may just fall under the inappropriate material category...

Posted by: IJ | October 31, 2006 5:33 AM | Report abuse

Nice road win last nite and it was great to see Zed get one (two!!) in.

Tarik, do you have any idea what was going on between Brash and MacTavish the other night in Edmonton?

Posted by: Melissa | October 31, 2006 6:10 AM | Report abuse

Hasn't Brashear been around long enough to actually have taken on McTavish once or twice? It had to have been really late in the hatless one's days, and early in Brashear's, but still. Maybe Craig wants to put his skates back on and tangle with Brash.

Posted by: Rage | October 31, 2006 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Perhaps Craigy M-T tried to whip Brashear with the tongue of the Flames' mascot, Harvey the Hound.

Posted by: Tyler | October 31, 2006 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I am a big fan of the Caps and I enjoy watching them as much as possible. I do get frustrated with the TV coverage and the endless same jokes. I will prefer a little more information on the game, like who is on the ice, the make-up of the lines, etc. For instance, last night Zed was demoted to the 4th line, but who took his place in the 2nd line? Maybe they said it and I missed it. Just a little complaint, I am grateful for the coverage, whatever that might be.

Posted by: Zemog | October 31, 2006 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad they benched.. cuz I'm horrible

Posted by: steve eminger | October 31, 2006 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Hey "steve eminger", your spelling is pretty solid too.

Posted by: Rage | October 31, 2006 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Zemog:

Pettinger took Zednik's place as second-line RW.

Posted by: JLO | November 1, 2006 1:21 AM | Report abuse

PPcupwinners, get out of here. Seriosuly. Caps rule guins drule, even tho i must admit crosby is impresive.

Posted by: Capitals One | November 1, 2006 9:01 PM | Report abuse

of course my spelling is bad... im a bad hockey player too though... trade me!

Posted by: steve eminger | November 1, 2006 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Associated Press

LOS ANGELES -- Pittsburgh's Evgeni Malkin became the first NHL player in 89 years to score goals in his first six games, beating Los Angeles goalie Dan Cloutier with a wrist shot 8:29 into the first period Wednesday night.

to capitals one: make me!

Posted by: PPcupwinners | November 2, 2006 12:08 AM | Report abuse

JLO, Thank you.

Posted by: Zemog | November 2, 2006 2:27 AM | Report abuse

He's good, dude. We know. Both him and Crosby are very good players. Congrats.

Posted by: Rage | November 2, 2006 8:56 AM | Report abuse