Eminger To Tampa Bay

And just in time for Monday's game against the Lightning, which now features yet another former Cap returning to Washington.

From TSN.ca:

The Philadelphia Flyers have acquired defenceman Matt Carle and the San Jose Sharks' third round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft from the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for Steve Eminger, Steve Downie and Tampa Bay's fourth round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft.

Well, next week's meeting just got that much more interesting.

By Tarik El-Bashir  |  November 7, 2008; 7:29 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecasting Ovechkin's Goal Total
Next: Sloan Recalled

Comments

Living in PA, I have the advantage of getting both ComcastDC and ComcastPhilly on my cable. The other night I was watching highlights of the Flyers game. The announcer said "...and defenseman Steve Eminger falls down on the play...". Later in the highlights, "..and Eminger falls down AGAIN!".

Posted by: tess2201 | November 7, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Not to nitpick, but there are at least 3 former caps on the Bolts. Pettinger, Kolzig, and Eminger

Posted by: southweststalker | November 7, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

apparently the lightning wanted more Steve's in the lineup.

Posted by: e-money | November 7, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

fyi: Bears update

Hershey leading Albany 1-0 at the end of the 1st period. Bears goal by Andrew Gordon. Varlamov in goal for the Bears but the Rats only managed 5 shots in the period so Simeon didn't see much rubber so far. Listen at www.sportsjuice.com

Posted by: tess2201 | November 7, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

From the last thread - I'd go with OV getting 44.....but Semin to break 60. Over 100 goals from two players. Not many other teams will have such production.

However, as many have said, stats of such nature count for little. At the end of the day, you don't make the playoffs based on the number of 50 goal scorers you have, rather the total number of points gained.

Boo!
Ax murderer alert, ax murderer alert!! *Red lights flash, sirens wail*

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 7, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Y'know...other than Huet and Kolzig, Eminger was the other player not with us now that went on the season-ending ride.

I think if he was still on the team, our season thus far would have yielded more wins.

Mmm...yeah.

Posted by: keeef | November 7, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Dammit...I knew I forgot someone. That pesky Cooke.

Posted by: keeef | November 7, 2008 7:53 PM | Report abuse

You're right. Forgot about Petty. But that's easy to do when it comes to the Lightning. They make more moves than I do with my fantasy team.

Posted by: el_bashir | November 7, 2008 7:57 PM | Report abuse

2-0 Bears
Osala scored with assists to Perreault and Bouchard.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 7, 2008 7:59 PM | Report abuse

Choc-Town Bears up 2-0. Second scored by Double O.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 7, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Why did the Flyers do this? Any rumors about a deal with Brendan Shanahan?

@southwesttalker - forget about Halpern?

Posted by: schnozzle | November 7, 2008 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Saw this on John Walton's blog regarding Sasha Pokuluk in S.Carolina:

Posted by: tess2201 | November 7, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Eminger went from prospect to suspect... who cares if he is on Tampa now...

Pettinger/Eminger = Jokes/AHL Players!

Kolzig = Class, future hall of famer!

Posted by: Semin2828 | November 7, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

The lighting are aware of the record the caps had when all those players were on the caps right? why would they want to reproduce that?

Posted by: QuintenD | November 7, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Jeff Halpern is with the Lightning as well.

Posted by: VegasCapsFan | November 7, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Stay classy Rangers organization.

Posted by: Section117 | November 7, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

WCAPS1/Bernie:
I agree - just glad he finally has something to say. He may be stuffy to us, but I have seen him laugh with Ovie, Fed and Kozzie pretty hard, so he must not be stuffy in real life, ya know?

Dave:
Now I am scared ... ;-)

Steve:
I saw that you scooped Tarik - bravo! :-)

Posted by: Boo- | November 7, 2008 8:56 PM | Report abuse

3-0 Bears
Latest goal by Bouchard (assist Lepisto). 3 minutes left in the game.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 7, 2008 9:05 PM | Report abuse

3 Nil to the Chocolate Boys!!

Bouchard with the third. Osala sounds like he is a monster and he and his Frenchy linemates are killing Albany. Less than 2 mins to go.

Boo!
Hey I'm the scared one - I set the ax murderer alert off!

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 7, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Is Jamie Heward still with the Bolts?

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 7, 2008 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Ha, looks like just you and I listening to the Bears game eh Tess?

Varlamov with the shutout - 3-0 Bears. Top of the East in the AHL.

Night folks....off to bed.

Posted by: DaveUKCapsFan | November 7, 2008 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Dave, having watched the Bears in person, I am very impressed with Osala. And the "two Frenchies" Bouchard and Perreault are so fast and so skilled. Glad that Varlamov got the shutout...that should go a long way toward building his confidence after starting the season with injuries.

Posted by: tess2201 | November 7, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting an Osala jersey for christmas.

Posted by: _jordan | November 7, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes, the Verizon Center ice is terrible. I've skated on it before.

I was at the Buffalo game last weekend and the temperature inside was around 55 degrees. Also, I was at the game last night and the temperature felt around 70; humidity was probably high as well.

If you want to help the team and Ted out with the poor ice conditions, contact Gary Handleman of the Washington Sports & Enetertainment. He's the Director of Facilities. Here's the WSE contact information

It helps if you keep your comments clean and to the point (in this case, not the blue line). No dropping the "F" bombs or the like!

Posted by: puckman | November 7, 2008 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Okay place bets now; How long until the lightning hire Hanlon? Seriously are they trying to become the 2006 caps? Pettinger, Kolzig, Eminger, Heward, and Lecavalier, St. Louis, Stamkos, and Prospal to equal one Ovechkin. Who wants to be the one to tell them that Heward is, believe it or not, not the one who made us cup contenders.

Posted by: dcfury | November 7, 2008 9:37 PM | Report abuse

oh and Halpern

Posted by: dcfury | November 7, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

That is sad. Heward is playing for Tampa's AHL team Norfolk.

Posted by: Erika29 | November 7, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Agreed. If it won't be addressed in a meeting until march, why not hold off a little longer. And either way, couldn't this have been hushed a bit? After all, business is business and if its a legitimate claim that any team would make, there should be no problem with the Rangers doing it; however, they could have said to the reporter, "look, this is a sensitive subject and we'd rather not discuss it, or see it in print. Its standard, lets have some respect."

Stay classy Rangers organization.

Posted by: Section117 | November 7, 2008 8:48 PM

Posted by: oo7 | November 7, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and I had no idea Pettinger went to Tampa. I missed that. I didn't even know Heward was still playing. So Melrose's plan is to field the old Caps team, replacing Ovechkin and Semin with Vinny and Miny Me? He's using a four year old McPhee plan? So much for inspired leadership. They did Tortarella a favor.

Posted by: oo7 | November 7, 2008 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Can we bring Varlamov up and trade Theodore? Johnny #1 and Varlamov #2, a lot of extra cap space (could be used to bring Alzner up?)...

Posted by: sargeantmofo | November 7, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks on the Heward info. The last time I watched the Bolts he was playing for them and played well IMO.
Maybe the Bolts can get Brian Sutherby from the Ducks in time to play against us too.

Posted by: Riddler1 | November 7, 2008 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Hey sargeantmofo..

I've been thinking about that trade as well for the past couple days.

Maybe New Jersey would take Theodore now that Brodeur's going to be out for a while. Theodore might actually be do a nice job in front of a defensively-oriented (boring) team like New Jersey.

It's early in the season and I feel like McPhee and Boudreau are still evaluating what they've got here. A few more piss-poor performances from Jose and I hope they're smart enough to get him out of here for a third-round pick.

On a lighter note, with that goal tonight Osala now has 10 goals in his first 14 games. I'd rather see him up here than have Chris Clark and Matt Bradley out there skating around not doing anything.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | November 7, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

Why does anyone think the Devils or Lou Lamoriello would take Theodore while Brodeur is out? Have you seen Kevin Weekes play since Marty was injured? He's been rock solid and, if anything, the Devils need a more reliable backup for him than Scott Clemmenson. But I can't see any GM taking Jose, given how he's played since the beginning of this season.

I had hoped that we'd re-sign Huet but I think his negotiation was in bad faith - so good riddance, especially as he's not having the kind of season he had with us last year. Khabibulin has been much better - wish we could afford to rent him this year!

Posted by: DevilsCapsGal | November 7, 2008 11:17 PM | Report abuse

117:
That is sooo wrong! Not sure the timing ever would have been right, but now is definitely not the time.

Late night for UK Dave! Must be too late - he is halucinating about ax murderers. Poor fella ... ;-)

I don't know what I am more excited about - the Rangers game or the TB game. Tomorrow is gonna be tough - the Rangers are playing well. The boys better be on fire. I can't wait - the house should be rockin' - LET'S GO CAPS!!

Posted by: Boo- | November 7, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Oneal

I think that depends on which line. I'd rather see Fehr out there over Clark right now...and I don't think Bradley should be in the press box...yet.

Despite Japer's Corsi ratings...I'm impressed with the forechecking of the regular line of Bradley, The Donald and Gordon/Steckel...

Osala needs top 6 minutes and I don't think he gets it here yet.

Posted by: Yoshietree | November 7, 2008 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Wishful thinking, probably.. that's why.

Jose's five-hole is bigger than his bald spot. If nobody takes him and he continues to stink up the joint more drastic measures may have to be put into effect.

Oneal

Posted by: TheRealOneal | November 7, 2008 11:38 PM | Report abuse

This just in -- Jose Theodore is in the Hockey Hall of Fame (well, at least his tuque is).

Joe B

Posted by: rw-c | November 8, 2008 5:08 AM | Report abuse

TheAhl.com has Sloan being recalled.

Posted by: cocorules | November 8, 2008 7:22 AM | Report abuse

TheAhl.com has Sloan being recalled.

Posted by: cocorules | November 8, 2008 7:24 AM | Report abuse

sorry for double post but first one sead it did not go through.

Posted by: cocorules | November 8, 2008 7:25 AM | Report abuse