Eric Fehr, Mike Knuble on goals in win vs. Pens

Here's winger Eric Fehr on scoring his 15th goal of a season in the Caps' 5-4 overtime win against the Pens:

Of Fehr's goal, Coach Bruce Boudreau said: "Well, we needed it and Eric needed it for his confidence because, quite frankly, he hadn't been playing very well. So, I mean, I thought his game picked up a tremendous amount after that. It's amazing what a goal can do for you and your confidence."

And here are some postgame comments from Mike Knuble, who is now tied with Alexander Semin for game-winning goals this season (five). Knuble has points in four straight games and has 16 (11 goals, five assists), in his last 14 games.

On the goal: "I didn't even know it had gone in. I thought they were blowing the horn from when [Ovechkin's shot] hit the inside of the post. I didn't really see a puck cross a line. I didn't know where the puck was. We get a win, and that's the biggest thing. It was a fun game that had a little bit of everything."

By Lindsay Applebaum  |  February 7, 2010; 4:06 PM ET
 | Tags: Eric Fehr, Mike Knuble, Pittsburgh Penguins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin on his hat trick and the Caps' win
Next: Mike Green, Bruce Boudreau on Caps' victory

Comments

Fehr's goal was huge and came at a crucial time! Good work, Fehr!

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

squad showed some serious heart and grit getting this one today

Posted by: bford1kb | February 7, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for all the video. It's really nice to hear from the players. What a comeback!

Posted by: wocoliz | February 7, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

lol @ the pens fans on pensblog. They're going out of control there!

Posted by: hockeynightincanada | February 7, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

As Fehr rushed down the ice, I said to my seatmate, "Fehr's due," and danged if he didn't put it in. Huge goal.

Most of us had no idea that Knuble scored the game winner, at least for those of us sitting just behind net -- assumed it was Ovi's 4th. It was a surprise when they announced it, coming after the three stars were announced.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Thank you guys for winning and for showing such character in coming back.

Congratulations.

The Boys of September 1985 strike again! (Well, so did a certain Independence Day baby who showed why we acquired him!)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

If anyone goes on the Pensblog, please share some tidbits. It really makes my black heart warm when the Pens (and their fans) are upset.

Posted by: crooks_c | February 7, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Glad Fehr could score. It's only fair!

Seriously, only 5 more goals for Fehr to go before hitting the 20 goal mark.

Okay, Flash, it's time for you to score again!

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

hockeynightincanada: Can you give me a sample of what they're saying over there? Don't wanna go over there.. probably lots of cursing and blaming the refs for giving the Caps a PP in OT.

Posted by: rachel216 | February 7, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Caps for proving wrong the people upset at Ted, Bettman, and NBC for playing this game today. I could not believe the tenor of those posts. It was a fantastic game, and seemed like more than 90% of people made it into the seats. It was utterly fantastic to be there.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

The Pensblog is a joke...it breaks down for every game because it cant hold the bandwith on the chat.

Posted by: SA-Town | February 7, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Rule 60.1 "A 'high stick' is one which is carried above the height of the opponent’s shoulders. Players and goalkeepers must be in control and responsible for their stick. However, a player or goalkeeper is permitted accidental contact on an opponent if the act is committed as a normal windup or follow through of a shooting motion. A wild swing at a bouncing puck would not be considered a normal windup or follow through and any contact to an opponent above the height of the shoulders shall be penalized accordingly."

Rule 60.2 "Any contact made by a stick on an opponent above the shoulders is prohibited and a minor penalty shall be imposed."

Semin's stick may have helped lift Orpik's stick into Semin's face at the very end of Orpik's swing of his stick, but Orpik's stick was clearly already above Semin's shoulders and right next to Semin's face before Semin even started to lift his stick up, and Orpik is responsible for his stick.

Now, I am sure this rule is not interpreted so that it includes what Dino Ciccarelli used to do on occasion, which was to grab an opponent's stick and ram it into his own face. Or maybe in that case, the appropriate thing to do would be to call Dino for holding the stick, and maybe there is some rule, written or unwritten, that says if a player's penalty is the sole cause of what would otherwise be his opponent's penalty, you don't call the opponent's penalty.

But this wasn't that kind of thing. Semin didn't hold onto a stick or otherwise violate any rule and got sticked in the face by his opponent's stick that said opponent was by his own free will holding above Semin's shoulders right next to Semin's face. The way I read the Rulebook, that's a mandatory call, even if Semin intentionally takes his own stick and uses it to nudge his opponent's stick into his own face.

If Orpik's stick is, say, on the ice, and Semin lifts Orpik's stick all the way up to his own face, maybe that's not high-sticking--I don't actually know what the right call is in that case. But that wasn't what happened. The rule seems to me to have been clearly designed to discourage folks from holding their sticks high in the first place, so if you do that, and it hits someone, you get penalized, even if it's an accident and even if you didn't want to hit anyone.

Posted by: youaresquishy | February 7, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

That was a great game.... i have to admit i had some doubts but they just keep proving that they are never out of the game. which is pretty unbelievable. i know we are going to lose and the streak will be ok, but i got my wish in that we didnt end up with the guins!! love seeing us win against them, and i love seeing the penguins unhappy!

Posted by: mrszilla | February 7, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

Me too. I certainly had serious doubts when they were down 4-1 and it seemed like it just wasn't the Caps day.

But the boys came through in the end.

Well done.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

CapsFan75-

Can we make fun of crysby in here? ;)

Posted by: mrszilla | February 7, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Orpik, the Caps will post your comments in the locker room the next time the Pens play them.

Okay, Sasha, score some goals next time we face the Pens.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

There's no censorship of using the terms Crysby or Philthy here.

The folks at Japers kept calling me out for calling the Flyers Philthy.

I'm not sure they're exactly consistent in their discipline either. Like the NHL office of discipline.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Sloan needs to be in hershey and alzner up with the big guys...

Posted by: BACKS | February 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

HAHAHAHAHAHA! Whoever made the thread must be kicking themself...

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

Glad you could get to the game. Was your subdivision more plowed than ours? Probably. Or do you own an SUV which I don't?

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

the caps are on pace for 122 pts!

Posted by: gocaps01 | February 7, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

There's no censorship of using the terms Crysby or Philthy here.

The folks at Japers kept calling me out for calling the Flyers Philthy.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Yea I dont get it either... we have definitely had fun on here making fun of other teams, I guess I just need to bring my jokes here

BTW- Do you think crysby was biting his tongue all during the hat trick celebrations?

Posted by: mrszilla | February 7, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

@Sonyask

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75 -- I live in DC and walked to the metro. Fortunate, I guess.

Posted by: Sonyask | February 7, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

And then from the ESPN boards:

"iamborat99 (2/7/2010 at 2:20 PM) It is over bro....WAS will not come back....they are losers...if they do, I will ban myself from ESPN for life..won't happen though so I have NOTHING to worry about"

Posted by: elicea | February 7, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

elicea, thanks for that link. That made my day!

Posted by: catymac | February 7, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

Japers may frown on making fun of Crosby but they have no problem making fun of Alexander Semin over there. (Of course, Semin's a Cap, so it's different.)

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

@elicea

So now iamborat99 can ban himself from the ESPN blog for life since the Caps won.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

@mrszilla

Posted by: CapsFan75 | February 7, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Oh believe me, I was tempted to point out the striking hypocrisy when it comes to making fun of our own players but since they were talking about making a blog roll and manifestos I decided I didn't want to be blacklisted for life.... but I'm glad someone else noticed that!

Posted by: mrszilla | February 7, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Hated watching on NBC with Milbury and Doc totally in the tank for Crosby. Especially Milbury...totally dissing Ovie..practically called him dirty (ironic for Milbury of all people). McGuire was fair and pretty much going tit for tat with Milbury everytime he sang Cindy's praises. But when they came back in the 3d all of a sudden they were more complimentary but MM was still bitter. I had to turn off the sound in OT I couldn't take them anymore. Anyone else agree or am I just so programmed to JoeB and Locker?

Posted by: dalves999 | February 7, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Reading all the comments regarding NBC.. I went back and watched the game. Seriously people... if that bothered you, maybe we should have the Disney Channel show it and do commentary. Develop thicker skin people!!

I will admit that in years past it was horrible, unbearable even to listen to Mike, Eddy and Pierre. But that was not the case this time. There were praises all around for both teams and all players. They even called out the refs when they gave the Pens that bogus power play in the 3rd. But as they also said, that happens- Nothing you can do but to continue to play the game. I don't think they did us a disservice at all.. They were educational(for those new to hockey) and touted the best of both teams. It's not like they are playing to just the DC audience.. Geesh.. you would have thought they had said something about your mother by the way some of you reacted!

Posted by: mudmommy | February 7, 2010 10:00 PM | Report abuse

@ mudmommy: Seriously, I don't see how you could possibly post the comment you do and not expect people to ask "Who invited you to the party?" The Capitals won. NBC, like the refs, prefer to suck on the teet that is Sidney Crosby. Like they found the fountain of youth and it's attached to one of Crosby's appendages. The day we can legitimately listen to an NBC broadcast and not feel like we're listening to the parents of the guy/girl we only went out with once and we're getting lectured for what we're missing, then yeah, you'd have every right to say what you had to say. Until then, sit down while the adults relish and enjoy our victory.

Thank you, Capitals, for pulling off the win. For remembering that the fans wanted it as bad as you guys do. And for allowing us all to walk with our heads up after the game. Ovi and the Capitals, you all rock!

Posted by: LeftCoastCapsFan | February 7, 2010 10:11 PM | Report abuse